PDA

View Full Version : High school junior to drop out of school, play overseas

adidas11
04-23-2009, 01:03 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=dw-tyler042209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Jeremy Tyler has decided to forgo his senior year of high school and turn pro.

Yes, high school.

This isn’t some sign of the sporting apocalypse or a teenager with an overvalued sense of worth. It’s a daring, trailblazing yet well-thought-out move that challenges the bizarre way America develops amateur basketball players.

Tyler is an agile 6-11, 260-pound San Diego native, the nation’s top player in the junior class who already committed to the University of Louisville. He’s as close to a can’t-miss NBA prospect as there is; a tantalizing mix of size, speed and smarts. Scouts project him to be the No. 1 pick in the 2011 draft, when he’s eligible under the NBA’s age requirements.

In the meantime, Jeremy Tyler’s options were to:

1. Spend the next year at his local school, San Diego High, where he faces quadruple teams and isn’t experiencing much development; or

2. Transfer to a basketball factory in some rural outpost back East which has a big-time team but resembles a traditional high school in name only; and then

3. Play college ball for a few months dealing with NCAA limitations on practice time and coaching contact while competing against many of the same guys he has the last few years.

All for free, of course.

“I know I can do great things with my talent. My goal in life is to get better. Playing with the pro guys will get me a lot better faster. It will help me fulfill my dreams of playing in the NBA.”

– Jeremy Tyler

Instead Jeremy and his father, James, who owns his own home improvement company and is about to open a family restaurant, surveyed the traditional route, decided it made little sense, and went looking for a new plan. They called retired sneaker executive and hoops deal maker Sonny Vaccaro and plotted a course for Europe.

It isn’t the easy way – hanging out in high school, AAU and college is safer and far less demanding – but it is what they believe will be the best way to prepare for the NBA. It’s exactly what a teenager of comparable talent would do if they were pursuing a career in music, acting, tennis, hockey or even academics.

“It may not be the best way to get to the NBA, but it’s the best way to get ready for the NBA,” Jeremy Tyler told Yahoo! Sports this week. His decision was first reported by the New York Times.

“I know I can do great things with my talent,” Tyler continued. “My goal in life is to get better. Playing with the pro guys will get me a lot better faster. It will help me fulfill my dreams of playing in the NBA.”

Over the next couple of weeks the Tylers said they will hire a financial planner and professional sports agent and pursue early feelers from professional teams in Spain, Italy and Israel. Jeremy Tyler is likely to receive a contract worth at least a few hundred thousand dollars a year and could sign endorsement contracts worth at least that.

The plan is to live abroad the next two years, with his father and an uncle taking turns staying with him. “He’ll never be alone,” James said.

Tyler will play against the grown men who can challenge a player of his size and potential. Away from the court he’ll be home-schooled, earn a GED and return in two seasons when he’s eligible for the 2011 draft.

By then, Jeremy Tyler figures, he’ll be a much better player and person; having learned from top coaches, enjoyed unlimited practice time and broadened his horizons in a foreign land. He calls it “a dream job” and isn’t the slightest bit nostalgic for homecoming, prom or missing out on college hoops.

And while he’ll earn a great deal of money, he says his chief motivation is to make himself the best prospect possible for the even greater amount waiting in the NBA.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In basketball terms, it’s a no brainer. The only risk is exposure at the hands of superior competition. Tyler could just stay in the States and hide his weaknesses against smaller, less-talented opponents.

“His game will be picked apart [by scouts], but long-term it’s much better for his development as a player,” said one Western Conference general manager, who can’t comment publicly due to NBA rules. “It’s a bold move, but I’ve seen tape and that kid could play in the NBA right now. He’s an incredible talent.”

Jeremy Tyler said he wants his shortcomings exposed so he can work on them in the same European professional leagues that have produced dozens of NBA players.

This June’s draft will bring more, including Brandon Jennings, a guard from Compton, Calif., who skipped his freshman season of college to play in Italy. Despite predictable challenges on and off the court, Jennings is returning as a projected lottery pick. NBA front offices said they value his experience more than that of a college freshman.

“He was bored in high school. He said that every game. [He’d] just get the rebound and shoot it back in the hole. I said, ‘we’re wasting this guy’s time. He’s not getting the challenge he deserves.’ As a parent, all you want to see is your kid strive to be his best.”

– James Tyler, Jeremy’s father

Then there’s Spain’s 18-year-old Ricky Rubio, expected to be the No. 2 pick in June’s draft. He turned pro at age 14 and at 17 was an Olympic starter holding his own against Team USA.

“For a 14-year-old overseas to be able to make money to play the same sport I’m playing, I think it’s only fair to have the same opportunity,” Jeremy Tyler said. “If you have a talent, you should be able to use it. If college is not going to help you at any stage, it’s a little unfair.”

The college is not going to help you part is where Jeremy, who is polished beyond his years, understands the criticism will come from.

He and his father are bracing for an establishment backlash that fails to appreciate their motivation, determination and appreciation of the intrinsic value of education. They think most of it will be designed to protect the billion-dollar business of amateur basketball.

“It’s just the old way of doing things and no one wants to swallow the pill of change,” James Tyler said. “Basketball is an American sport and they want the kids to go through the channels. And I think there is so much money generated in collegiate sports that they don’t want that interrupted.

“It’s a double standard.”

It won’t help the NCAA if top prospects flee to Europe to develop their games rather than add star power to March Madness.

College hoops was rescued from a long talent drain when in 2005 the NBA enacted an age limit that prohibited American players, but not foreigners, from entering the draft until one year after their high school class graduated.

That has led to a push of young stars in college basketball for one year, even if their commitment to being a “student-athlete” is often dubious. To be eligible for a season, a kid needs to earn just two D’s in the fall semester. He can fail, or not even show up for, every other class his freshman year and drop out immediately after the season.

Jeremy Tyler insists he’s on solid academic ground and isn’t going to Europe to avoid school work. The family informed Cardinals coach Rick Pitino about the decision.

“Education will always be there,” Jeremy said. “It doesn’t matter if I get it now or in three years. I can always go back. I’ll always have that to fall back on. I want to have a degree in business management.”

“Give me the day Harvard is going to close and then I’ll reconsider,” said James, who attended Mississippi Valley State but didn’t graduate. “He can always go back to school. It’s all learning. How is living in Europe not a learning experience?”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sonny Vaccaro, 69, spent four decades as a powerful sneaker executive and basketball middle man, doing everything from signing Michael Jordan to Nike and Kobe Bryant to adidas, to creating what is now known as national grassroots basketball (high level AAU and high school teams).

He has little patience with college basketball, which after years with an inside view, he calls exploitative and dishonest. As a long-time fighter for player rights, he thinks the NBA’s age limit is criminal.

Jeremy Tyler at Day 3 of the LeBron James Skills Academy.
(Photo courtesy Kelly Kline)

A year ago he helped Jennings and his mother head to Rome and this winter fielded calls from at least a dozen families who considered doing the same.

That included James Tyler, who watched his man-child of a son get little out of high school ball, where his local school has few good players allowing defenses to descend on Jeremy. He contrasted that with the week Jeremy spent last summer at the Amare Stoudemire big man camp, where he was more aggressive and improved almost by the hour.

“He was bored in high school,” James said. “He said that every game. [He’d] just get the rebound and shoot it back in the hole. I said, ‘we’re wasting this guy’s time. He’s not getting the challenge he deserves.’ As a parent, all you want to see is your kid strive to be his best.”

Rather than choose to send his son off to a diploma mill with a killer basketball team back East – for some reason perfectly acceptable to the establishment – he and his son looked to Europe.

Jennings opened the door to Europe, Vaccaro said. Jeremy Tyler is taking it to the next level.

“I always wanted someone to do this,” Vaccaro said. “It’s amazing to me this kid from San Diego has the guts to do this, to take on all these establishment people like this.”

James Tyler said this isn’t about cashing in on his son. If he wanted to do that, he could’ve accepted under-the-table payments from agents or college coaches.

“Financially we don’t need anything from him. I can provide for him,” James said, before laughing. “And that’s saying something [because] he’s a seven-foot kid that eats a lot.

“If you know Jeremy, you know this kid is going to excel,” James said. “Why would we waste his time holding him back? Kobe [Bryant] was only 17 [when he went pro] and he blossomed. And LeBron [James] blossomed. [Dwight] Howard blossomed. Why not give my son that chance?”

Jeremy hopes others take a look at the European option and consider it. Why mindlessly follow a system designed to enrich and reward everyone but the player?

He said he didn’t set out to be a revolutionary. He is one anyway.

In the future the news of a kid forgoing his senior year of high school might not sound so shocking.

Spursfan092120
04-23-2009, 01:04 AM
:wow:wow:wow
Complete and total idiot. And what kind of father not only allows, but helps PLAN their son dropping out of school...just wow..

Spursfan092120
04-23-2009, 01:06 AM
Good for him. Fuck the NCAA.
Please tell me you're kidding..he's dropping out of HIGH School..not College.

adidas11
04-23-2009, 01:07 AM
Complete and total idiot. And what kind of father not only allows, but helps PLAN their son dropping out of school...just wow..

You're kidding me, right? His father is going to make sure that he gets his GED. What is the purpose of him sticking around and playing another year of substandard high school basketball?

BlackSwordsMan
04-23-2009, 01:08 AM
fuck I'd drop out of HS too

Spursfan092120
04-23-2009, 01:09 AM
You're kidding me, right? His father is going to make sure that he gets his GED. What is the purpose of him sticking around and playing another year of substandard high school basketball?
Wow...I'm not even going to start this. You're acting like it's good for a kid to drop out of school. And what about college? We've already seen 99% of the kids who come straight out of High School fail in the NBA, and then decide not to go back to college. I'm not going to argue with you, so don't try. It's ignorant for someone to drop out of high school to go play professional ball in Europe...completely ignorant.

kamikazi_player
04-23-2009, 01:10 AM
I think he needs to finish HS, if he gets a major injury, he can't even work a decent job after that.

adidas11
04-23-2009, 01:12 AM
Wow...I'm not even going to start this. You're acting like it's good for a kid to drop out of school. And what about college? We've already seen 99% of the kids who come straight out of High School fail in the NBA, and then decide not to go back to college. I'm not going to argue with you, so don't try. It's ignorant for someone to drop out of high school to go play professional ball in Europe...completely ignorant.

Then you also agree that kids that don't go to high school and pursue other 'entertainment' type industries are completely ignorant as well?

Britney Spears
Miley Cirus
Jennifer Capriati
Freddy Adu
etc.?

adidas11
04-23-2009, 01:12 AM
I think he needs to finish HS, if he gets a major injury, he can't even work a decent job after that.

As stated in the article, he is going to finish the requirements for a high school education.

jag
04-23-2009, 01:17 AM

He can make big money right now...why should he wait?
If he's a bust or has an injury he can always go to college and get a degree. It's easy to say he's stupid...but you've obviously never been put in that situation.

Spursfan092120
04-23-2009, 01:17 AM
Then you also agree that kids that don't go to high school and pursue other 'entertainment' type industries are completely ignorant as well?

Britney Spears
Miley Cirus
Jennifer Capriati
Freddy Adu
etc.?
lol...Britney Spears = mental institution
Miley Cyrus = becoming a primadonna
Capriati and Adu are different...but the truth of the matter is, like I said, that 99% of athletes that go pro right out of High School, fail. For every Garnett and Lebron James, there are a hundred Leon Smiths, Ndudi Ebi, Korleone Young, and James Lang's. Not a smart move..period...and at least they finished their HS education.

kamikazi_player
04-23-2009, 01:18 AM
One broken leg that he can't recover from can ruin his career. It could happen, one serious back injury and he's not worth a cent. And without a HSD, there's not that many places he can work if he comes back to the US.

IronMexican
04-23-2009, 01:19 AM
sons who needs school. I'm a HS dropout. If I stayed in my High School, I doubt I'd be alive today.

Spursfan092120
He can make big money right now...why should he wait?
If he's a bust or has an injury he can always go to college and get a degree. It's easy to say he's stupid...but you've obviously never been put in that situation.
I had a college scholarship that I lost because of a knee injury. I do know what it's like...but the truth is, a good high school education is important...I don't care how damn good you are. Finish HS...then do what you want. College isn't for everybody, no...but finish HS.

BRHornet45
sons who cares ... a high school diploma isn't worth jack shit now days anyways. if he gets hurt all he has to do is take 3 hours worth of G.E.D. courses and he is set.

kamikazi_player
If he's happy playing oversees, then good for him, just hope he doesn't get seriously injured.

Spursfan092120
04-23-2009, 01:20 AM
sons who needs school. I'm a HS dropout. If I stayed in my High School, I doubt I'd be alive today.
That's a different situation...he's not in that situation...he's being greedy.

jag
04-23-2009, 01:21 AM
One broken leg that he can't recover from can ruin his career. It could happen, one serious back injury and he's not worth a cent. And without a HSD, there's not that many places he can work if he comes back to the US.

broken legs have been notorious for keeping people from getting a college degree

jag
04-23-2009, 01:23 AM
I had a college scholarship that I lost because of a knee injury. I do know what it's like...but the truth is, a good high school education is important...I don't care how damn good you are. Finish HS...then do what you want. College isn't for everybody, no...but finish HS.

LOL at you comparing yourself to this kid. You weren't getting offered hundreds of thousands of dollars to do shit...and you still aren't.

IronMexican
04-23-2009, 01:23 AM
It's his choice. I know in California, once you are 16, you are no longer forced to go to school anymore. If the dude wants to go overseas, let him.

adidas11
04-23-2009, 01:24 AM

Again, if you go by what is stated in the article, he is going to finish high school! Just not in the traditional way that one would expect. He is going to finish his requirements for his GED.

but the truth of the matter is, like I said, that 99% of athletes that go pro right out of High School, fail. For every Garnett and Lebron James, there are a hundred Leon Smiths, Ndudi Ebi, Korleone Young, and James Lang's. Not a smart move..period...and at least they finished their HS education.

First of all, 99% isn't close to being accurate. Lots of players have jumped to the NBA and succeeded, and lots of players have failed. At no more or no less of a failuire percentage than players who go all 4 years in college, and then go pro.

Second, he isn't jumping straight to the NBA. He is playing is a 'lesser' pro league overseas, until he is old enough to be drafted by the NBA. Its no different than a player wanting to go to North Carolina or Louisville for 1 year, and then jump to the pros.

And third, he is going to finish his HS education!

adidas11
04-23-2009, 01:26 AM

Wrong. If he were being greedy, and trying to get the most bang for his buck, he would have stayed here, gone to college for a year, and guaranteed himself as the #1 pick in the draft. His aim is for better basketball development.

jag
04-23-2009, 01:29 AM
Wrong. If he were being greedy, and trying to get the most bang for his buck, he would have stayed here, gone to college for a year, and guaranteed himself as the #1 pick in the draft. His aim is for better basketball development.
Boom

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-23-2009, 02:12 AM

WTF? Maybe a father that wants some good money for his son that he will not make otherwise? You are an idiot.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-23-2009, 02:15 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/2a677kp.gif

I like this ass!

baseline bum
04-23-2009, 02:34 AM
Here is whats funny about all of these "he should stay in school advocates." Its only applied to blacks in the ghetto with no common sense. Most, if not all of these players can go to school for free. Most of them come from low income families and have no need for a scholarship.

The majority of them decided long before they entered high school that they wanted to play pro ball. Europe has made the path to playing pro ball much easier, and more lucrative, and if they are good they can always come back to the states and play.

:tu

Why in the hell would he turn down a job paying six-figures that will help him have greater future earning potential to stay in an inferior program that pays him nothing? Why is it a big deal when a young black man wants to go pro early, yet no one cared about Martina Hingis hitting balls at Wimbledon in her training bra? Is it because Americans think young black men need to be "educated" away from rap music, black slang, and so on in white houses of higher education?

timvp
04-23-2009, 03:13 AM
I can't wait until the death of college sports. Or at least college sports the way it's currently constructed. Billions of dollars made and the athletes get like 1% of the profit? That's a garbage system.

There's no sane reason why top college basketball and football recruits shouldn't be able to go to the highest bidder. Let the market dictate whether or not someone is worth more than just a scholarship.

Darthkiller
04-23-2009, 04:48 AM
why are people saying that he made the wrong decision. You go to school to prepare for future professions. WHy go to school, when you can earn millions doing that in europe .

flipcritic
04-23-2009, 05:34 AM
Obviously, a lot of people on this thread are 6'11" and have immense basketball talent desired by European scouts. Thanks for your advice guys!

ploto
04-23-2009, 07:04 AM
Tony Parker was playing pro basketball at 16, IIRC.

samikeyp
04-23-2009, 07:13 AM
A good education is important but its not like he still can't get that. If he really wants a GED and a college degree, he can still get that and will have to money to pay for it. All I know is that if it were me and I was offered this chance, I wouldn't have had to think twice. He is in no way guaranteeing himself success but he does have the right to try.

Rogue
04-23-2009, 07:43 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/2a677kp.gif

I like this ass!
but why didn't kiss her ass rather than BR's son?

2Cleva
04-23-2009, 07:48 AM
There is no outcry when professional tennis players are getting paid around the world and not going to school. When child actors are on sets instead of classrooms? How is that any different than this kid?

And those saying he won't get a job with out a HS diploma? Please. Even with a HS diploma, a lot of doors aren't going to open up for you. If he's headed to the corporate world - you gotta have college. If he's head for professional ball - he doesn't.

He's getting more training for professional basketball - whether its the NBA or overseas. He'll likely make more money in the next 5 years than 95% of COLLEGE graduates do in the next 20. That's smart business.

Bukefal
04-23-2009, 09:05 AM
dropping out of school, i agree is not so good decision i guess. But maybe hell have big succes overseas, its nice to see players like this choosing for european basketball to learn, improve.

robbie380
04-23-2009, 09:13 AM

and what if he breaks his leg in his senior season? wouldn't that be the same? hell being home schooled and obtaining a GED while you are trying to pursue your dream overseas would probably be looked at much more positively from a potential employer if you want to think of it from that perspective. it shows the kid has drive and wants to succeed. why do you keep talking about him as if he can never get a GED?

robbie380
04-23-2009, 09:15 AM
There is no outcry when professional tennis players are getting paid around the world and not going to school. When child actors are on sets instead of classrooms? How is that any different than this kid?

And those saying he won't get a job with out a HS diploma? Please. Even with a HS diploma, a lot of doors aren't going to open up for you. If he's headed to the corporate world - you gotta have college. If he's head for professional ball - he doesn't.

He's getting more training for professional basketball - whether its the NBA or overseas. He'll likely make more money in the next 5 years than 95% of COLLEGE graduates do in the next 20. That's smart business.

agree 100%

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Probably the right decision for this guy, who seems fairly mature and has a good support system in place. If this were to become the next trend it will be very interesting to see how well Euro scouts can judge 16-17 year old kids who can handle an overseas transition, culture shock, etc. Even seasoned Euro vets have troubles with that here, it's tough to imagine many 17 year olds who can take that in stride.

nkdlunch
04-23-2009, 10:05 AM
good. with this fucked up economy. who really needs to waste time and money going to school? to what? be unemployed or underpaid??

take what you can get now

Cry Havoc
04-23-2009, 10:18 AM

This would be applicable if he were some random player from Queens or just a "good" player from Peoria, IL, where they are a dime-a-dozen.

This guy is the projected #1 NBA Draft Pick. He's not some dreamer with stars in his eyes hoping for his big break. He's already touted as the best there is in high school.

Why is there a proportionally better chance of him not breaking a leg in high school, when he's getting paid $0, than playing overseas, where he won't be triple and quadruple teamed, and actually make some very good money while he's at it? You act like he's immune to injury if he stays in the States.

This guy is as close to a lock for the NBA as there is. He's risking nothing by going overseas that he doesn't already risk here.

TimDunkem
04-23-2009, 10:19 AM
Probably the right decision for this guy, who seems fairly mature and has a good support system in place. If this were to become the next trend it will be very interesting to see how well Euro scouts can judge 16-17 year old kids who can handle an overseas transition, culture shock, etc. Even seasoned Euro vets have troubles with that here, it's tough to imagine many 17 year olds who can take that in stride.
Despite this; He's an idiot for dropping out. How can this bumbling idiot make good money without acquiring the all important HSD? Let the kid's potential stagnate at his uninspiring SoCal high school. /sarcasm

Good for him though. If he's going to be making money doing what he loves while getting some needed life experience overseas. What's the problem? Do people have an issue with this just because he would rather choose a different path than most kids? It's not like he can't continue his education, and learn anything he would normally learn in H.S. by taking a few GED classes, college courses, or hell; even a trip to the local library.

Obstructed_View
04-23-2009, 10:23 AM
I can't wait until the death of college sports. Or at least college sports the way it's currently constructed. Billions of dollars made and the athletes get like 1% of the profit? That's a garbage system.

There's no sane reason why top college basketball and football recruits shouldn't be able to go to the highest bidder. Let the market dictate whether or not someone is worth more than just a scholarship.

I agree. The restrictions on college athletes while the schools rake in money hand over fist are unbelievable, and invite corruption and cheating. I believe I predicted that some high school player would end up doing exactly this to bypass the NCAA on this very board a couple of years ago. And the more it happens now, the more quickly the NCAA re-evaulates its rules in order to survive. The NBA should consider throwing its weight into this because the talent flow suddenly shifting to Europe is going to make it that much harder to get drafted players to the NBA (See Splitter, Tiago).

adidas11
04-23-2009, 10:33 AM

Exactly. No different than some pretty model who moves to Italy at the age of 15 to pursue her modeling career.

And the funny thing is, his move really isn't all about the money. If he wanted to get the maximum value (guaranteeing himself the #1 pick in the draft), he would stay here, go to college for a year, and then go pro. That way, his liabilities won't be as obvious as they would if he is playing in a pro system overseas (against grown men).

And its not like his family needs the money. His father by all accounts is doing fairly well (he owns his own business).

This is purely a basketball decision, with the mindset that he is getting absolutely nothing out of dunking on 16 and 17 year olds game in and game out in high school, and would probably only marginally improve his skillset by playing one year in college (with its antiquated rules as far as practice time and number of games are concerned).

O-Factor
04-23-2009, 10:35 AM
To fail in life is this kid's destiny. Much like Maurice Clarett.

Stupid kid.

jag
04-23-2009, 10:40 AM
What's the problem? Do people have an issue with this just because he would rather choose a different path than most kids? It's not like he can't continue his education, and learn anything he would normally learn in H.S. after taking a few GED classes, college courses, or hell; even a trip to the local library.

People get on their high horse and feel they have to chime in with the obligatory "stay in school." Because if this kid doesn't take Algebra II he won't be able to make it in life. He's not dropping out to chill with his boys outside of Dollar General while he's living with his parents and getting paid minimum wage. He's dropping out because right now he doesn't need it to be successful.

I graduated HS and i'm a senior in college, but i realize that different people take different paths. Life's all about opportunity...and this kid has a great opportunity to better himself.

2Cleva
04-23-2009, 10:45 AM

Stupid kid.

Stupid post.

Clarett had a lot of issues that school wouldn't have helped. There is no relation between the two except they were young talented Black athletes.

LakeShow
04-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Sounds like a no-brainer to me. Of course he should go. I wish him luck.

robbie380
04-23-2009, 10:54 AM

Stupid kid.

good call...clarett went to college and look how he turned out :lol

TwinTowers
04-23-2009, 11:07 AM
This will be a great move for him considering that he is a legit NBA prospect.

1- The guy is a top talent he’s likely to get a lucrative contract to play overseas, an even have some endorsement contracts as well.

2- He is planning on earning a GED, and with the money he’ll make he could pay for higher education if he wants/needs to.

3- Playing at the pro level will improve his game and his character.

This is a win-win situation for everybody... Even the NBA.

Soul_Patch
04-23-2009, 11:17 AM
I can tell you dont have much work experience. A HSD wont take you past 35k a year . Anything above that you need a college degree, which I think is stupid. A HSD is the most overrated piece of paper on the planet.

Not that im proud, but all i have is a HSD and im making slightly over 55k a year in San Antonio...

Ryvin1
04-23-2009, 12:27 PM
Not only does he increase the money he makes now but his skill set can mature quicker to a higher level during his rookie contract. He can make himself even more money in the future at his first contract extension.

dirk4mvp
04-23-2009, 12:28 PM
Good for this guy. No one else in his situation would turn it down. He'll be making big bucks while guys his age are working part time at pizza hut after school making enough to put gas in their car and go to the movies on friday night :lol

TimDunkem
04-23-2009, 12:38 PM
Good for this guy. No one else in his situation would turn it down. He'll be making big bucks while guys his age are working part time at pizza hut after school making enough to put gas in their car and go to the movies on friday night :lol

haha So true. It's good that this kid's parents are giving him to chance to leave school to go overseas to develop his talent. Hopefully the kid comes back to shove that glorified piece of toilet paper called a HSD down the naysayers mouth's.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-23-2009, 01:54 PM
We've already seen 99% of the kids who come straight out of High School fail in the NBA

lol son where'd you find that statistic?

koriwhat
04-23-2009, 02:05 PM
HS is bullshit anyhow... i know a lot of dumb motherfuckers who got their diplomas and haven't done shit since and can't spell for shit or do math. HS is bullshit plain and simple. You really only get a true education when you go to college and even then your beginning classes are HS bullshit equivalent.

this kid going to europe is going to grow so much more as an individual rather then him staying for his senior yr of HS. i say go to college part time during the off season and all's good.

ps: the only thing HS taught me was how to make great drug connects and that was it. i love how you all act as if our school system here in the US is top notch which is far from the truth.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-23-2009, 02:07 PM
He is have some offers from Spain. he would be allow to play 2 years in second division of Spain (level below ACB) and even with the junior team of the club if he need more play time and they will stay pay him good salary.

So he will get top basketball coaching and training that is as good or better than NCAA for 2 years plus he will get paid more then college graduate will make in US. Of course this is good move.

braeden0613
04-23-2009, 02:10 PM
Seriously let the kid go. This really is a no-brainer

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-23-2009, 02:20 PM
I hope more kids start doing what this guy and Brandon Jennings did. The one year rule ruined college basketball. No upsets anymore. The last year that rule wasn't in place, we saw George Mason make the final four. The three years since, the final four has been made up of eight 1 seeds, three 2 seeds, and one 3 seed. The national championship game has had five 1 seeds and one 2 seed, and since the rule all the national champions have been 1 seeds.

I can't wait till March Madness will be fun again and won't be a "Who's lucky enough to have an NBA player on their team" contest.

Darthkiller
04-23-2009, 02:22 PM
He is have some offers from Spain. he would be allow to play 2 years in second division of Spain (level below ACB) and even with the junior team of the club if he need more play time and they will stay pay him good salary.

So he will get top basketball coaching and training that is as good or better than NCAA for 2 years plus he will get paid more then college graduate will make in US. Of course this is good move.

if rubio could play in first division, i dont see any reason why Tyler cant, he is projected to be 1st pick of 2011.

TwinTowers
04-23-2009, 02:36 PM
if rubio could play in first division, i dont see any reason why Tyler cant, he is projected to be 1st pick of 2011.

I believe Rubio became pro at age 14, but didn't play first division until 2 or 3 years later. Even as talented as Tyler might be, he would not get much playing time at first division team in a top tier european league

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Rubio = poor man's Jose Calderon.

I don't know why any team would use a top 10 pick on a European player after seeing how much it has bitten other teams in the ass.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-23-2009, 03:17 PM

Rubio was like 2 points per game and 1 assist per game player even at age 16 I think.

Darthkiller
04-23-2009, 03:19 PM
Rubio was like 2 points per game player even at age 16 I think.

rubio is a passfirst point guard. Jeremy Tyler is a bigger blake griffin. jeremy Tyler should play on a division 1 team that's in euroleague. He is a beast.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-23-2009, 03:25 PM
rubio is a passfirst point guard. Jeremy Tyler is a bigger blake griffin. jeremy Tyler should play on a division 1 team that's in euroleague. He is a beast.

Is this a joke? No 17 age player will be on a Euroleague team unless he want to ride bench all season long.

TwinTowers
04-23-2009, 03:30 PM

He might be a beast, but Euroleague is not a cupcake league.

Muser
04-23-2009, 03:31 PM
I've heard worse, didn't some american kid drop out of High School to play guitar hero?

El Jefe
04-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Love this move. It sounds like both the dad and kid are being smart and reasonable about this. It's hard to say just from quotes in an article, but they are at least saying the right things.

The kid sounds like he's a lock to play professional ball. Even if it's not the NBA, the kid has a shot of spending the next 15 years earning a living playing ball, why not maximize his potential. Why not go play for a professional team with professional coaches and actually attempt to LEARN the game, as opposed to going through the motions of an academic career and all of the rules of the NCAA.

If this kid has the right attitude, he will arrive at the NBA draft much better prepared for the rest of his life this way than if he continued along the narrow minded path of US amateur athletics.

Cry Havoc
04-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Is this a joke? No 17 age player will be on a Euroleague team unless he want to ride bench all season long.

Really? So a projected #1 draft pick in the NBA would ride the bench in Euroleague? I suppose Derrick Rose wouldn't get any playing time over there, either, huh?

Strike
04-23-2009, 03:52 PM
If the kid wants to do it and his family supports it, who the fuck are any of us to try and knock the kid down for trying to chase success?

Good luck to him.

j-6
04-23-2009, 05:24 PM
I hope more kids start doing what this guy and Brandon Jennings did. The one year rule ruined college basketball. No upsets anymore. The last year that rule wasn't in place, we saw George Mason make the final four. The three years since, the final four has been made up of eight 1 seeds, three 2 seeds, and one 3 seed. The national championship game has had five 1 seeds and one 2 seed, and since the rule all the national champions have been 1 seeds.

I can't wait till March Madness will be fun again and won't be a "Who's lucky enough to have an NBA player on their team" contest.

Some of these one-and-done guys play upwards of 40 games for their school during their one year on campus. I don't care that much about the NBA rule against prep-to-pros, but it would be nice for more of these kids - especially the ones that bounce from high school to high school - to embrace Europe as an option. Some incoming freshmen have a degree and a career path picked out that includes internships, specific course/instructor selection, and postgraduate work. If a guy is just enrolled to ball and waste time for a semester - and a scholarship - until the League can draft him, he should pack his bags and make some money overseas, and leave college for the guys that want to be there. That's his career path and he should embark on it immediately.

I think all it's going to take is some stud prep player with personality to head over, and blog/facebook/twitter about how great life is as a Euroleague player until this becomes a common decision. And frankly, I'm surprised that it's taken so long for one of these guys to leave as a high school junior, much as I was surprised about Jennings last year.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-23-2009, 05:52 PM
Really? So a projected #1 draft pick in the NBA would ride the bench in Euroleague? I suppose Derrick Rose wouldn't get any playing time over there, either, huh?

You are a fucking idiot.

Cry Havoc
04-23-2009, 06:04 PM
You are a fucking idiot.

:lmao

Classy. Way to substantiate your comments with intelligently thought out discourse.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-23-2009, 06:11 PM
Some of these one-and-done guys play upwards of 40 games for their school during their one year on campus. I don't care that much about the NBA rule against prep-to-pros, but it would be nice for more of these kids - especially the ones that bounce from high school to high school - to embrace Europe as an option. Some incoming freshmen have a degree and a career path picked out that includes internships, specific course/instructor selection, and postgraduate work. If a guy is just enrolled to ball and waste time for a semester - and a scholarship - until the League can draft him, he should pack his bags and make some money overseas, and leave college for the guys that want to be there. That's his career path and he should embark on it immediately.

I think all it's going to take is some stud prep player with personality to head over, and blog/facebook/twitter about how great life is as a Euroleague player until this becomes a common decision. And frankly, I'm surprised that it's taken so long for one of these guys to leave as a high school junior, much as I was surprised about Jennings last year.

I just don't like how much it's fucked up college ball. College basketball used to be about teams, ever since that stupid rule it's become more and more like the NBA where individual players get more attention than teams.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-23-2009, 06:17 PM
You are a fucking idiot.

You're calling someone else an idiot when you're the one saying a future #1 overall pick won't get playing time in a league where Loren Woods averages 20 points per game.......you're the idiot.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-23-2009, 06:33 PM
You're calling someone else an idiot when you're the one saying a future #1 overall pick won't get playing time in a league where Loren Woods averages 20 points per game.......you're the idiot.

Woods

2007-08 8.0 PPG

http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=TFG&seasoncode=E2007

2008-09 12.3 PPG (on team that win 2 games ALL YEAR)

http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=TFG

I guess we can now say that Bonner averages 20 in NBA. Since you just make up crap.

Also he is 16-17 year old. He would not get play time in Euroleague you stupid fool.

21_Blessings
04-23-2009, 07:11 PM

Holy shit. You are retarded.

Spursfan092120
04-23-2009, 07:22 PM
WTF? Maybe a father that wants some good money for his son that he will not make otherwise? You are an idiot.
This is why everyone hates you...someone disagrees with you and you call them an idiot. If he's that damn good, he'll make money otherwise...douchebag.

Spursfan092120
04-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Holy shit. You are retarded.

This is why everyone hates you...someone disagrees with you and you insult them. If he's that damn good, he'll make money otherwise...douchebag.

Spursfan092120
04-23-2009, 07:25 PM
lol son where'd you find that statistic?
Do you have any idea how many people try to come out of High School and go straight into the NBA? That's why the 1 year rule came out. So many kids were doing it, it was just getting stupid. Very few are successful, while MANY tried. 99% is actually probably lower than the actual number.

Spursfan092120
04-23-2009, 07:27 PM
You are a fucking idiot.
http://partlytruthpartlyfiction.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/pot-calling-the-kettle-black-734818.jpg

21_Blessings
04-23-2009, 07:41 PM
Your delusion is hilarious.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-23-2009, 07:58 PM
Do you have any idea how many people try to come out of High School and go straight into the NBA? That's why the 1 year rule came out. So many kids were doing it, it was just getting stupid. Very few are successful, while MANY tried. 99% is actually probably lower than the actual number.

If people want to be stupid that's their problem. The NBA shouldn't make some bullshit rule that ruins college basketball because Gerald Green is dumb enough to think he can come in and dominate.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-23-2009, 08:02 PM
The average 16 year old American is much better than the average Euro Pro player. Its hard to understand why America produces far superior people.

This explains why Pargo a decent NBA player can barely even get off bench in Euroleague. Yes you can STFU now.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-24-2009, 01:20 AM
This explains why Pargo a decent NBA player can barely even get off bench in Euroleague. Yes you can STFU now.

Pargo wasn't a decent NBA player.....he went to Europe cause no NBA team wanted him.

Cry Havoc
04-24-2009, 01:22 AM

:lol

WHAT are you talking about?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-24-2009, 01:43 AM
Pargo was a scrub that could not even start on one NBA team.

Exactly.

That's why KBP is retarded. I don't see crappy European players going to the NBA cause no one wants them, it's the other way around.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-24-2009, 03:07 AM
Pargo can't even start in Euroleague either and he fucking sucks there. He was 10 times better in NBA. He was 6 man in Hornets last year. Childress was 6 man in Hawks. Giricek 6 man in his NBA career and also starter before. Arroyo 6 man, starter, end of rotation player in his NBA career. Delfino 6 man in Raptors. Garbajosa 6 man in Raptors. Nachbar 6 man in NBA. Jennings "best American point guard in his age group".

Childress better in NBA than Euroleague
Giricek better in NBA than Euroleague
Arroyo better in NBA than Euroleague
Delfino better in NBA than 2nd level Eurocup
Garbajosa better in NBA than 2nd level Eurocup
Pargo better in NBA than Euroleague

Childress in Euroleague = sucks ass and his team plays much worse when he is in the game
Arroyo in Euroleague = stupid ball hog and worst IQ in entire league
Pargo in Euroleague = fucking scrub that can't even barely get in a game
Delfino = team played great without him, when he was injured, when he played they fucking sucked and got their asses kicked

Jennings "best American NBA point guard prospect" fucking sucks ass in Euroleague and Italy league

ONLY NBA players did good was Nachbar and yet his team with one of 5 biggest budgets in all Europe was HORRIBLE CRAP and had a disaster season.

And Boykins. Boykins is ONLY NBA player do good for himself and his team. Of course he is play in THIRD LEVEL of Europe the EuroChallenge, 2 levels BELOW Euroleague level.

You stupid fucking moron NBA fans are a fucking joke. And you are all a bunch of god damn fucking liars.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-24-2009, 03:09 AM
:lol

WHAT are you talking about?

Jannero Pargo Euroleague stats

http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?clubcode=oly&pcode=001276&seasoncode=e2008

You can see for yourself and start crying at what a fucking dumbass you are. And some fucking moron here guaranteed that Pargo would be "a dominant African American in Greece against those Greek white faggots"

Pargo is a POS this year.

Capt Bringdown
04-24-2009, 06:04 AM
Based on the article info, the kid comes from a solid background and made a sensible decision/plan for his future.
I don't see any downside. Brilliant move, I'm happy for him.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2009, 06:46 PM
If Kobe Bryant were coming up today, this is probably exactly what he'd do. There was criticism of him for skipping college because he was one of the few guys who had the grades to make it anywhere he wanted to go.

mavs>spurs2
04-24-2009, 06:49 PM
Maybe this will force the NBA to see how lame the one year of college rule is and do away with it. Which is worse, kids graduating high school before heading to the league, or kids dropping out of high school to join another league?

TheNextGen
04-24-2009, 07:03 PM
dont we get a HSD to make some money..well if he can do it without...fcking do it.

Rogue
04-24-2009, 07:03 PM
30% of american children drop highschool before graduation, according to a survey. Actually it doesn't make any difference to enter the college or not, except for the piece of paper that tells the world about your 4/more years' experience in the college. Long story short, the college education sucks, that's why Obama has pledged us to improve the american educational system, the education of us still is the best in the world though.