PDA

View Full Version : Spurs @ Mavs Game 3 - Five Subplots to Watch

timvp
04-23-2009, 08:02 AM
With the series tied at 1-1, the San Antonio Spurs head to Dallas to try to win at least one game against the Mavericks. Faced with this same exact situation in 2006, the Spurs failed to win either game at the American Airlines Center and returned to the Alamo City trailing 3-1 in the series.

If the Spurs are going to win one of the next two contests, Game 3 would be the game. They are coming off of a blowout win, they've had two days to rest and the Mavs may be distracted a bit by all the drama that has occurred since Game 2. If the Mavs can win Game 3, I'd say their chances of winning Game 4 would be high considering the shorter turnaround and the higher confidence level.

I'm not going to guarantee that the winner of Game 3 will win the series, however that really does look like it will be the case. How can the Spurs put Game 3 in their win column? Here are five important subplots to keep an eye on:

1. San Antonio matching the energy
In Game 2, Dallas played flat. They had a few good bursts but they couldn't sustain emotional momentum. That will absolutely not be a problem with the Mavs playing at home. They feed off their fans and the crowd is always extra amped up when the Spurs roll into town.

Quietly, the Mavs were one of the best home teams in the NBA this season. After losing their first four home games, they won 32 of their final 37 contests at home. Since Christmas, they've only lost only three times at home. Those losses came by a combined 16 points against the Hornets, Celtics and Nuggets.

In recent home wins against the Jazz and the Suns, the Mavs illustrated their explosive tendencies as they scored 140 points and 130 points in those outings, respectively. If the Spurs don't come prepared to face a much better version of Mavs, they will be in for a long night.

San Antonio needs to survive the initial emotional spurt by the Mavs and then start chipping away.

2. The Mavs and the free throw line
In the last Game 3 versus Dallas, the Mavs went to the free throw line 50 times. The Spurs cannot let the contest turn into a free throw shooting drill because the Mavs are deadly at the charity stripe. After Erick Dampier's comment, this game is very likely to be called tightly.

No matter the circumstances, the Spurs have to force the Mavs to win or lose from the field. This is especially true regarding Dirk Nowitzki. Giving him space to shoot is a much better idea than giving him freebies. He lived on the line for a lot of the 2006 series, especially in the three games play at Dallas.

The goal should be to not allow more than 20 free throws and to keep Nowitzki's free throw attempts in single-digits.

3. The rising of a third scorer
Each team has their defense geared to stop two scorers. The Mavs are focusing on Tony Parker and Tim Duncan, while the Spurs have their defense locked in on Nowitzki and Jason Terry. The team that has a third scorer rise to the occasion will have a substantial advantage in this game.

The obvious answer for the Mavs would be Josh Howard. The Spurs aren't showing him a large amount of respect but they should be careful because he plays much better at home than on the road. At home, Howard averaged 19.5 points on 47.6% shooting. On the road, his averages dipped to 16.6 points on 42.6% shooting.

For the Spurs, this is obviously where they miss Manu Ginobili and where they will need a player like Michael Finley, Roger Mason, Jr. or Drew Gooden to pick up the slack. Parker and Duncan can carry a lot of the load but they need a few other scorers to step up and join the ride.

4. The Spurs' ability to control the defensive glass
Rebounding was arguably the most important improvement made between Game 1 and Game 2 by the Spurs. A very good defensive rebounding team in the regular season, the Spurs allowed the Mavs to feast on the offensive boards in the opening contest of the series. But in Game 2, the Spurs were dominant on the defensive glass -- grabbing an astonishingly high 87.5% of the available defensive rebounds.

San Antonio doesn't need to be quite as dominant but they need to stay north of the 75% mark. On a whole, if the Spurs can out-rebound the Mavs, they should be in good shape. It's tough for the Spurs to rebound against Dallas because their defense is constantly in rotation and the Mavs have the more athletic players, but the Spurs proved in Game 2 that it's possible for them to hang.

5. The level of Tony Parker's play
Parker played fantastic basketball in Game 2. He erupted in the first quarter and then relentlessly attacked until the Spurs were victorious.

What do the Spurs need for an encore? The same type play. I seriously don't think it's possible for the Spurs to win a game in this series if Parker doesn't score at least 30 points. He has to keep playing like a superstar for the Spurs to advance to the second round. Unless the Spurs get a spectacular shooting performance by their role players, they just can't generate enough offense outside of Parker for him to play at a pedestrian level and the Spurs still win.

Parker doesn't have to play out of his mind like he did in Game 2 but the Spurs need him to score more than 30 points and dish off more than seven assists. No pressure.

Believe.

Shank
04-23-2009, 08:05 AM
So, we take it you got the Internet to work here in Dallas?

Rogue
04-23-2009, 08:14 AM
the post season will definitely be over for spurs if they lose both of the two games in Dallas. So the two games will surely be tough contests for our boys in blue IMHO, we're gonna win both games though.

samikeyp
04-23-2009, 08:16 AM
the post season will definitely be over for spurs if they lose both of the two games in Dallas. So the two games will surely be tough contests for our boys in blue IMHO, we're gonna win both games though.

I would agree with that. I would also say that if the reverse happens and SA wins both, Dallas is done. That being said, I see a split and this being far from over.

:lmao @ "we're"

timvp
04-23-2009, 08:20 AM
So, we take it you got the Internet to work here in Dallas?Yeah, Dallas has this new type of internet that doesn't require you to dial a phone number :wow

Hopefully we get that in San Antonio one day . . .

benefactor
04-23-2009, 08:22 AM
This game really needs to be the game where Mason breaks out and has one of his 20+ point performances. Gooden will likely get his but Mason is the key with his explosive ability behind the arc.

raspsa
04-23-2009, 08:23 AM
Will Timmy's knees hold up? He was surprisingly agile and energetic in Game 2. He will need to repeat this performance in Dallas for the Spurs to prevail. Ideally, he is dominant in the low post and gets the Dallas Bigs into foul trouble, opening the lane to penetration and owning the boards.

LoneStarState'sPride
04-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Mavs won't roll over by any stretch of the imagination. They're always geeked up when the Spurs visit the AAC. With Timmy coming off 2 days of rest and Tony still in attack mode, I say SA takes a tightly contested game 3.

benefactor
04-23-2009, 08:27 AM
The man in my avatar could play a big role as well. The confidence he built in game 2 could carry over into one of his 16pt, 4-5 from distance nights.

Shank
04-23-2009, 08:28 AM
Will Timmy's knees hold up? He was surprisingly agile and energetic in Game 2. He will need to repeat this performance in Dallas for the Spurs to prevail. Ideally, he is dominant in the low post and gets the Dallas Bigs into foul trouble, opening the lane to penetration and owning the boards.

Tonight, he should be fine. How will the semi-quick turnaround to Game 3 on Saturday effect him, though?

LoneStarState'sPride
04-23-2009, 08:30 AM
Tonight, he should be fine. How will the semi-quick turnaround to Game 4 on Saturday effect him, though?

Fixed

Shank
04-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Fixed

Ahahaa...dammit. Same difference.

LoneStarState'sPride
04-23-2009, 08:33 AM
Ahahaa...dammit. Same difference.

lol I agree

Russ
04-23-2009, 08:34 AM
As a subplot to No. 3 we might add bench play on offense.

Generally, if a bench player on the road team steps up and has a big scoring game, the road team is in good shape. Guys like Barrea generally play much better in the supportive home environ.

So the Spurs need to keep these bench guys from going off in the 1st half. Conversely, the Spurs bench scorers (in other words, Gooden) need to establish themselves early before the Mavs get a confidence infusion from the crowd.

raspsa
04-23-2009, 09:00 AM
As a subplot to No. 3 we might add bench play on offense.

Generally, if a bench player on the road team steps up and has a big scoring game, the road team is in good shape. Guys like Barrea generally play much better in the supportive home environ.

So the Spurs need to keep these bench guys from going off in the 1st half. Conversely, the Spurs bench scorers (in other words, Gooden) need to establish themselves early before the Mavs get a confidence infusion from the crowd.

I thought that Gooden did a good Manu impersonation last game.. that sequence where he fell to the floor was something that one would expect from manu giving up his body. I'd rather he keeps up his aggressive play.. he needs to be assertive specially when Timmy is resting.. it really motivates any team when their big man does well..

Supergirl
04-23-2009, 09:47 AM
The 2 days rest will help Duncan more than anyone else. he actually had a pretty quiet game in Game 2, because he didn't need to score a lot. I expect him to have a big Game 3, because I expect the Mavs to focus all their energy on trying to stop Parker.

Overall, timvp, good analysis.

MoSpur
04-23-2009, 09:52 AM
Tonight's game will be going down to the wire. I can sense it. Maybe a Roger Mason Jr three-pointer late will be the deciding factor.

loveforthegame
04-23-2009, 09:54 AM
I'd love to see Mason go off.

Terry will be pumped after winning the 6th man award and having the home crowd behind him. Mason will need to match every bit of his points.

onarollbaby
04-23-2009, 09:58 AM
I hope the refs won't decide the outcome of the game

temujin
04-23-2009, 10:06 AM
I hope the refs won't decide the outcome of the game

The refs ALWAYS decide the outcome.
It's up to them to have a fair game or not.

Crawford is the ref.

Forget about the analysis: it's a waste of time.

velik_m
04-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Believe.

samikeyp
04-23-2009, 12:00 PM
The refs ALWAYS decide the outcome.
It's up to them to have a fair game or not.

Crawford is the ref.

Forget about the analysis: it's a waste of time.

The players might have something to do with it. :)

temujin
04-23-2009, 12:06 PM
The players might have something to do with it. :)

They are well paid to believe.

In this case, the fans should get paid (in the form of betting) NOT to believe.

Mugen
04-23-2009, 12:18 PM
mase is going to have a big game, i feel it.

BUMP
04-23-2009, 12:20 PM
pretty good analysis.

San Antonio better be ready for Dallas because they are a COMPLETELY different animal at home winning 32 of 37 and can be downright explosive. but they arent invincible and if San Antonio can whether our early storm of buckets, which you know is coming, then they have a chance to steal one.

wuss cones
04-23-2009, 03:23 PM
With the series tied at 1-1, the San Antonio Spurs head to Dallas to try to win at least one game against the Mavericks. Faced with this same exact situation in 2006, the Spurs failed to win either game at the American Airlines Center and returned to the Alamo City trailing 3-1 in the series.

If the Spurs are going to win one of the next two contests, Game 3 would be the game. They are coming off of a blowout win, they've had two days to rest and the Mavs may be distracted a bit by all the drama that has occurred since Game 2. If the Mavs can win Game 3, I'd say their chances of winning Game 4 would be high considering the shorter turnaround and the higher confidence level.

I'm not going to guarantee that the winner of Game 3 will win the series, however that really does look like it will be the case. How can the Spurs put Game 3 in their win column? Here are five important subplots to keep an eye on:

In Game 2, Dallas played flat. They had a few good bursts but they couldn't sustain emotional momentum. That will absolutely not be a problem with the Mavs playing at home. They feed off their fans and the crowd is always extra amped up when the Spurs roll into town.

Quietly, the Mavs were one of the best home teams in the NBA this season. After losing their first four home games, they won 32 of their final 37 contests at home. Since Christmas, they've only lost only three times at home. Those losses came by a combined 16 points against the Hornets, Celtics and Nuggets.

In recent home wins against the Jazz and the Suns, the Mavs illustrated their explosive tendencies as they scored 140 points and 130 points in those outings, respectively. If the Spurs don't come prepared to face a much better version of Mavs, they will be in for a long night.

San Antonio needs to survive the initial emotional spurt by the Mavs and then start chipping away.

In the last Game 3 versus Dallas, the Mavs went to the free throw line 50 times. The Spurs cannot let the contest turn into a free throw shooting drill because the Mavs are deadly at the charity stripe. After Erick Dampier's comment, this game is very likely to be called tightly.

No matter the circumstances, the Spurs have to force the Mavs to win or lose from the field. This is especially true regarding Dirk Nowitzki. Giving him space to shoot is a much better idea than giving him freebies. He lived on the line for a lot of the 2006 series, especially in the three games play at Dallas.

The goal should be to not allow more than 20 free throws and to keep Nowitzki's free throw attempts in single-digits.

Each team has their defense geared to stop two scorers. The Mavs are focusing on Tony Parker and Tim Duncan, while the Spurs have their defense locked in on Nowitzki and Jason Terry. The team that has a third scorer rise to the occasion will have a substantial advantage in this game.

The obvious answer for the Mavs would be Josh Howard. The Spurs aren't showing him a large amount of respect but they should be careful because he plays much better at home than on the road. At home, Howard averaged 19.5 points on 47.6% shooting. On the road, his averages dipped to 16.6 points on 42.6% shooting.

For the Spurs, this is obviously where they miss Manu Ginobili and where they will need a player like Michael Finley, Roger Mason, Jr. or Drew Gooden to pick up the slack. Parker and Duncan can carry a lot of the load but they need a few other scorers to step up and join the ride.

Rebounding was arguably the most important improvement made between Game 1 and Game 2 by the Spurs. A very good defensive rebounding team in the regular season, the Spurs allowed the Mavs to feast on the offensive boards in the opening contest of the series. But in Game 2, the Spurs were dominant on the defensive glass -- grabbing an astonishingly high 87.5% of the available defensive rebounds.

San Antonio doesn't need to be quite as dominant but they need to stay north of the 75% mark. On a whole, if the Spurs can out-rebound the Mavs, they should be in good shape. It's tough for the Spurs to rebound against Dallas because their defense is constantly in rotation and the Mavs have the more athletic players, but the Spurs proved in Game 2 that it's possible for them to hang.

Parker played fantastic basketball in Game 2. He erupted in the first quarter and then relentlessly attacked until the Spurs were victorious.

What do the Spurs need for an encore? The same type play. I seriously don't think it's possible for the Spurs to win a game in this series if Parker doesn't score at least 30 points. He has to keep playing like a superstar for the Spurs to advance to the second round. Unless the Spurs get a spectacular shooting performance by their role players, they just can't generate enough offense outside of Parker for him to play at a pedestrian level and the Spurs still win.

Parker doesn't have to play out of his mind like he did in Game 2 but the Spurs need him to score more than 30 points and dish off more than seven assists. No pressure.

Believe.
Which ever bench comes out ready to get it on will win :flag:

Thomas82
04-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Which ever bench comes out ready to get it on will win :flag:

Yeah, we need our bench to play like they did on Monday.

Joe Schmoogins
04-23-2009, 06:49 PM
i don't think tony needs to score 30+ for us to win. I think the spurs can win with a big performance from either him or tim.

I'd say that we need 50ish total from our big two.

tp2021
04-23-2009, 08:35 PM
So far, Spurs fail at all 5

timvp
04-23-2009, 08:41 PM
fml

Findog
04-24-2009, 12:08 AM
Tonight, he should be fine. How will the semi-quick turnaround to Game 3 on Saturday effect him, though?

No longer a factor since Pop waved the white flag and pulled the starters after the first tv timeout.

sabar
04-24-2009, 12:11 AM
Well, we didn't allow the Mavs 50 free throws.

LEONARD
04-24-2009, 01:05 AM
fml

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

kace
04-24-2009, 02:35 AM

fail

When was the last time we benched our starters with 20 minutes remaining in a PO game ?

hey, we got this one. well, i guess that the kind of defense we showed, allowing the mavs to get what they want and go everywhere on the court without any opposition, don't provide too much fouls though.

what about a 2nd scorer ? i don't see any behind tony in this team right now.
and hey, what about a first one in this game ? that would have been a good start.

When was the last time that our leading scorer had 12 points in a PO game ?

Tim's outstanding 2 boards performance will be remembered for ages. Only Finley, Mason and JV had less rebounds than him in this game.

When was the last time that Tim had EIGHT teamates grabbing more rebounds than him ?

fail. poor. bad. 12 points, 5-14. with as many assists as TO.
and you know what ? he was still our best player, and it's not even close.

Believe.

ALWAYS :flag:

EDIT: just in case some of you would want to answer some of my questions about the poor records the Spurs could have beaten, i've started a thread about this here: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3326758#post3326758