PDA

View Full Version : Stafford and Lions close to deal

IronMexican
04-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Per ESPN. I think it's a mistake. I'd rebuild through the trenches, and grab a QB in the second round like Josh Freeman, or just wait for 2010.

Dr. Gonzo
04-23-2009, 11:20 AM
I think it's a good move. Stafford seems like a bright kid with a big arm. Plus the Lions need a face to the franchise. Rebuilding the lines is a good idea but a lot of good lineman will be available in later rounds. It's hard to pass up a potential franchise QB. Just look at what Ryan did for the Falcons, of course the Lions don't have that type of running game. Josh Freeman will probably be gone by the second round anyway. I've read that the Bucs are in love with the guy and he will probably be their guy in the first round.

IronMexican
04-23-2009, 12:10 PM
I've just always believed you build around a line. A great lineman can help a team so much, just ask the 07 Browns and Dolphins of this past year.

Udokafan05
04-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Aaron Curry is best pro prospect, plus he comes from the school of great nba players.

samikeyp
04-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Per ESPN. I think it's a mistake. I'd rebuild through the trenches, and grab a QB in the second round like Josh Freeman, or just wait for 2010.

I agree with you. Matthew Stafford could be a cross between Montana and Marino but if he doesn't have a line to protect him...which he doesn't, it won't matter.

gaKNOW!blee
04-23-2009, 01:18 PM
Its also not going to help a team when you have some great linemen and your qb sucks. (like freeman)

monosylab1k
04-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Using the #1 overall pick on a lineman is beyond stupid. Use your first rounder on a skill position player with gamechanging ability. Build your line in rounds 2-4.

monosylab1k
04-23-2009, 01:22 PM
I've just always believed you build around a line. A great lineman can help a team so much, just ask the 07 Browns and Dolphins of this past year.

so your proof is a non-playoff team and a 1 and done team?

The Belichick era Patriots almost never use 1st rounders on O-linemen. You can find great lineman in later rounds if you have competent scouts.

IronMexican
04-23-2009, 01:42 PM
so your proof is a non-playoff team and a 1 and done team?

The Belichick era Patriots almost never use 1st rounders on O-linemen. You can find great lineman in later rounds if you have competent scouts.

They use it on D, which is also a great choice. Aaron Curry is a game changer.

NewJerSpur
04-24-2009, 01:33 AM
As long as Stafford takes at least a year to ride the pine
And the Lions rebuild the line
He should be fine.....
And yes, all of that was meant to rhyme

:king