PDA

View Full Version : E-N: 'Attack Mode' Pays Off For Parker, Spurs Against Mavericks

duncan228
04-23-2009, 12:08 PM
'Attack mode' pays off for Parker, Spurs against Mavericks (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Attack_mode_pays_off_for_Parker_Spurs_against_Mave ricks.html)
Miguel A. Castro - Express-News

After losing their opening round game against the Dallas Mavericks, the San Antonio Spurs came back to deliver a blowout against the Mavericks to tie the first round series 1-1.

Their 105-84 defeat of the Mavericks on Monday, April 20, show the Spurs simply can keep their cool.

Spurs point guard Tony Parker scored 38 points and now the series switches to Dallas for Game 3.

“I just wanted to be in attack mode every single play, even if it wasn’t to score,” Parker said. “I wanted to be aggressive at all times.”

Instead of panicking over the loss of Manu Ginobili for the remainder of the season, the Spurs instead responded by rallying to win five of their final six games in the regular season.

The late push was good enough to catapult them from fifth to third in the Western Conference standings, giving them home-court advantage in the first round of the playoffs.

“It was a tough season,” Parker said April 15 after the team’s regular-season finale. “There were a lot of ups and downs. At the end of the day, we got the third seed, and that’s what we wanted.”

But as the old saying goes, be careful what you wish for.

Sure, the upside to having the No. 3 seed is that the Spurs won’t have to face a familiar foe, the Los Angeles Lakers, until the conference finals.

That is, of course, if they can get there first.

Losing the first game against the Mavericks didn’t cause any panic.

“That was part of the game plan, to make other guys beat us, and they did,” said Spurs forward Drew Gooden. “You’ve got to reward the Mavs for that.”

Then again, this is a best-of-seven game series and the Spurs have faced this kind of adversity before.

Since Tim Duncan joined the franchise in the 1997-98 season, the Southwest Division champs have lost their first round opener at home four times before going on to win the series.

What should give fans more comfort is that three of those times the Silver and Black went on to win an NBA title.

While Duncan enters the playoffs averaging 19.3 points and 10.7 rebounds per game, it is Parker who leads the team in scoring (22.0 per game) and assists (6.9) heading into the postseason.

“It’s been his best year,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said of his point guard. “He’s carried us.”

While the duo will be a key in the four-time NBA champions making a deep playoff run, there’s no doubt they could use Ginobili on the floor.

Instead, the guard — who averaged 15.5 points, 4.5 rebounds and 3.6 assists in 44 games during the regular season — will watch his team fight to get out of the first round as he recovers from his ankle injury on the sidelines.

“At this point, unfortunately, (Ginobili) has nothing to do with this except support off the court, and that type of thing, which he will do,” Popovich said before Game 1.

romain.star
04-23-2009, 12:21 PM
D228.

impressed with your work here

thanks for all these articles you're bringing to us day after day after day

duncan228
04-23-2009, 12:43 PM
D228.

impressed with your work here

thanks for all these articles you're bringing to us day after day after day

Thanks.

Just trying to help SpursTalk be a one stop source for news and hopefully spark some conversation.

Dex
04-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Don't let the kindness fool you. She's secretly trying to catch up to Marcus Bryant's post count. :lol

biba
04-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Duncan228 you do a fantastic job.

About 2/3 years ago I also did it a little bit, feeding Spurstalk with articles about the Spurs, the only way for me to bring something to the table.

Then I changed job and hadn't have enough time to do it anymore.

And I can tell to people, it takes time and energy to find decent articles and to edit them.

You're a Champion :toast

Please, keep it going!

duncan228
04-23-2009, 02:55 PM
Duncan228 you do a fantastic job.

About 2/3 years ago I also did it a little bit, feeding Spurstalk with articles about the Spurs, the only way for me to bring something to the table.

Then I changed job and hadn't have enough time to do it anymore.

And I can tell to people, it takes time and energy to find decent articles and to edit them.

You're a Champion :toast

Please, keep it going!

Wow. Thank you. :)

It does take time, but I have time. And I do try my best to make stuff as readable as possible. It's nice to hear it's appreciated. I love this site and just want to contribute in a way that hopefully matters.

manufan10
04-23-2009, 02:57 PM
:toast

LoneStarState'sPride
04-23-2009, 04:37 PM
Wow. Thank you. :)

It does take time, but I have time. And I do try my best to make stuff as readable as possible. It's nice to hear it's appreciated. I love this site and just want to contribute in a way that hopefully matters.

Lol, sounds like you've been talking to whoever has been coaching Tony's comments of late. :)

Seriously, though, you do an outstanding job with ST, duncan 228. I've been a lurker for a long time, and you've succeeded in making it my virtual "one-stop shop" for news on the Silver and Black. Thanks!

duncan228
04-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Seriously, though, you do an outstanding job with ST, duncan 228. I've been a lurker for a long time, and you've succeeded in making it my virtual "one-stop shop" for news on the Silver and Black. Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words.

DPG21920
04-23-2009, 04:44 PM
I hope TD comes out in "kill mode"

duncan228
04-23-2009, 04:47 PM
I hope TD comes out in "kill mode"

Me too. He's due for an aggressive game, a statement game. Tonight would be a good time for him to unleash.