PDA

View Full Version : E-N: Ginobili Offers Laptop To Fuming Airman

duncan228
04-23-2009, 01:06 PM
Ginobili offers laptop to fuming airman (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Ginobili_offers_laptop_to_fuming_airman.html)
Scott Huddleston - Express-News

Air Force Maj. Tobin Griffeth was fuming this week that the Spurs' Manu Ginobili “took my computer!”

But there'll be a happy ending to the major's thwarted quest for a laptop he can use to teleconference with his wife and two boys while in Afghanistan for six months — his first lengthy deployment.

The Best Buy at the Forum, where he was promised an Asus Eee PC Netbook, has vowed to find a similar laptop. If it can't, Ginobili said through a spokesman that he'll return his, so Griffeth can have it.

Michelle Griffeth was happy to learn Ginobili didn't know she and her husband had dibs on the Asus when the Spurs guard and Time Warner pitchman bought it.

“I was hoping that was the case. He's my son's hero,” she said.

Tavin Griffeth, 16, goes by the nickname “Manu” when playing basketball with his friends because he's left-handed and has a style of play that resembles Ginobili's, his mother said. The Griffeths' other son, Terrin, is 11.

Maj. Griffeth, a lawyer at Randolph AFB, said the 3.2-pound laptop was to be an early gift for his 41st birthday. It has a seven-hour battery and is small enough for the war zone.

He said he wasn't in uniform at the store Saturday, but told employees how he hoped to use the unit. The store gave the couple a “rain check” for the last one in stock.

When he returned on Monday, the $349 laptop had been sold to Ginobili. Best Buy employees told the major, set to deploy by June 1, that he could drive to their store in Laredo or wait 45 days for another Asus.

Maj. Griffeth said he blamed Best Buy, not Ginobili, for the mix-up.

“I think they went goo-goo-gah-gah because of who he is,” he said.

A Best Buy manager declined to discuss the matter but said the store would help the Griffeths find a similar laptop. The Spurs, meanwhile, have offered the family tickets to Tuesday's game against Dallas.

Ginobili was shocked to learn of the Griffeths' situation and feels badly about it, Spurs spokesman Tom James said.

“Manu apologizes for any stress or inconvenience this may have caused,” James said.

lefty
04-23-2009, 01:11 PM
:tu Manu

ChumpDumper
04-23-2009, 01:13 PM
The shift key location on those sucks.

Battery life is awesome though.

rayray2k8
04-23-2009, 01:15 PM
What's with the 2 heads in you sig?
siamese twins?
would have been better to just leave dirk heads there.
with a "who's dirty now?" comments. :lol

MaNuMaNiAc
04-23-2009, 01:18 PM
What exactly is so special about this laptop? if it costs $349 it must not be that special. I mean, that's pretty damn cheap in terms of laptop price standards.

lefty
04-23-2009, 01:30 PM
What's with the 2 heads in you sig?
siamese twins?
would have been better to just leave dirk heads there.
with a "who's dirty now?" comments. :lol

Trust me, I wanted to leave Dirk's head only, but I had to cover the remaining of the " original " guy's face. I could have expanded Dirk's head, but it would have been way too big for the body.
So I thought adding Hasslehof's head would help to cover up the rest of the face, and I came up with the Siamese Twins idea.

JoeChalupa
04-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Well done Manu.

ChumpDumper
04-23-2009, 01:34 PM
What exactly is so special about this laptop? if it costs $349 it must not be that special. I mean, that's pretty damn cheap in terms of laptop price standards.It's just a netbook, but apparently pretty popular.

byrdman31
04-23-2009, 01:35 PM
wow. my friend just told me he was helping find manu a laptop about a week ago, he works a best buy... what a coincidence :lol

ploto
04-23-2009, 01:37 PM
The store gave the couple a “rain check” for the last one in stock.

This makes little sense. If it was in stock, wouldn't he have bought it on Saturday? Why would he be returning on Monday to buy it? And a rain check does not guarantee availability on a certain date- only the price when it is available. Also, the store should never release to a customer who bought something from them.

duncan228
04-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Also, the store should never release to a customer who bought something from them.

That struck me as wrong too. Was it just because it was Manu and everyone involved is hyping on that? Or do they release every customers name to anyone?

sabar
04-23-2009, 01:49 PM
What exactly is so special about this laptop? if it costs $349 it must not be that special. I mean, that's pretty damn cheap in terms of laptop price standards.

It was the first netbook; a minature laptop with a small screen, very long battery life, and a minimal operating system (linux = free). They have windows now and higher prices than before.

completely deck
04-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Best Buy is absolute garbage. They are always the most expensive electronic retail store and the things they try to force on you to buy is stupid. When I worked there I had (and still dont have) no idea why people flock to this place.

koriwhat
04-23-2009, 01:52 PM
manu... fuck windows and cheapass laptops! get a fuckin' mac.

koriwhat
04-23-2009, 01:54 PM
Best Buy is absolute garbage. They are always the most expensive electronic retail store and the things they try to force on you to buy is stupid. When I worked there I had (and still dont have) no idea why people flock to this place.

yeah they tried to get my boss to let geeksquad fix and clean viruses off the computer we were buying at that very moment... wtf? brand new, shouldn't need to be fixed, and shouldn't have any viruses on it to begin with. oh wait, windows comes preinstalled, so i guess there was a huge virus on that comp.

anyhow best buy sucks dick!

TMTTRIO
04-23-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm glad to know that Best Buy doesn't really care about the privacy of their customers. They should've never told him that Manu ended up buying it. That information should've never been leaked out. Nice of Manu to accomadate and try to make it right and hey you can never go wrong with free Spurs tickets to the playoffs instead from that :lol.

Cry Havoc
04-23-2009, 01:58 PM

Agree. I believe Best Buy is still touting the "MONSTER Cables", which are the biggest waste of money you could ever spend on an entertainment center.

Marcus Bryant
04-23-2009, 01:58 PM
Nice gesture.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-23-2009, 02:04 PM
Manu should just get a Macbook

to21
04-23-2009, 02:14 PM
Here we go with the MAC smack talk.

:rolleyes

koriwhat
04-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Manu should just get a Macbook

agreed.

koriwhat
04-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Here we go with the MAC smack talk.

are we talking about makeup cause i wasnt aware...?

and really you should say "Here we go with the OSX vs WinBLOWS smack talk". cause to say anything different would be like saying "Here we go with the Apple Mac vs Dell vs Gateway vs HP vs etc.... smack talk". symantics!

i mean come on... manu is rich and should buy a quality product considering he has the dough to do so. windows machines are not quality products, well at least not the OS. do yourself a favor manu and get a mac. anything less is just a headache unless of course it's linux but that's a headache too but well worth it.

koriwhat
04-23-2009, 02:22 PM
I remember a magazine test that used something like a coat hanger wire and was just about as good as Monster cables lol.

are these the huge wires they sell for speaker systems? i remember some back when i went to bjorns a long ass time ago and i thought, "damn what the fuck? those actually make that much of a difference and for like $50 more then regular ass wires?".

FaithInOne
04-23-2009, 02:23 PM
That netbook is maybe the hottest commodity for armed forces ppl.

Manu should get a Mac. He can afford to pay for a grossly overpriced computer.

angel_luv
04-23-2009, 02:24 PM
That struck me as wrong too. Was it just because it was Manu and everyone involved is hyping on that? Or do they release every customers name to anyone?

I agree with you and Ploto that Manu's name should not have been released.

to21
04-23-2009, 02:51 PM

and really you should say "Here we go with the OSX vs WinBLOWS smack talk". cause to say anything different would be like saying "Here we go with the Apple Mac vs Dell vs Gateway vs HP vs etc.... smack talk". symantics!

i mean come on... manu is rich and should buy a quality product considering he has the dough to do so. windows machines are not quality products, well at least not the OS. do yourself a favor manu and get a mac. anything less is just a headache unless of course it's linux but that's a headache too but well worth it.sigh

completely deck
04-23-2009, 02:57 PM
I remember a magazine test that used something like a coat hanger wire and was just about as good as Monster cables lol.

are these the huge wires they sell for speaker systems? i remember some back when i went to bjorns a long ass time ago and i thought, "damn what the fuck? those actually make that much of a difference and for like $50 more then regular ass wires?".

Monster Cables are in fact the same exact cables you can buy for a fraction of the cost. If you ever need them, MonoPrice (dot com) has awesome prices for your cable needs. The only difference between MonoPrice cables and Monster cables is that MonoPrice comes in a plastic bag and Monster comes in one of those blister packs.

Anyway....... This entire story is stupid. I'm sure there are other stores in San Antonio that have the same laptop.

ChumpDumper
04-23-2009, 03:13 PM
symantics!

Kori Ellis
04-23-2009, 03:19 PM
Anyway....... This entire story is stupid. I'm sure there are other stores in San Antonio that have the same laptop.

I think the point is that this Best Buy location gives a discount to active military members in uniform... thus the reason he didn't buy it the first day and why the story mentions that he was given a "rain check" since he wasn't in uniform initially.

Anyway, it was dumb of Best Buy to tell him that Manu bought it, but that probably wasn't planned. The story probably went something like this.

Airman: "I am here to buy the Asus Eee PC Netbook."

17-year-old Best Buy Clerk: "Sorry dude, we just sold the last one to Manu Ginobili."

.... rest of story goes on.

to21
04-23-2009, 03:22 PM
^^ single button mouse clickers FTW!!!

koriwhat
04-23-2009, 03:24 PM
well i shouldn't had dropped out of HS like that tyler guys is doing... could had gotten a better edumacation.

semantics. haha.

1Parker1
04-23-2009, 03:27 PM
I bet if it was Parker who wanted that laptop, Manu wouldn't have given it back.

:stirpot: :lol

Seriously though, sweet gesture by Ginobili. :tu

koriwhat
04-23-2009, 03:28 PM
the real question here is.... why didn't manu give his second eeepc to this guy instead of an underprivileged 3rd world country inhabitant?

wuss cones
04-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Manu should have given it back right away and give it for free -- what does he need it for to update his facebook? :rolleyes He should be supporting his team not out value shopping.

SpursWench21
04-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Manu = good person!:flag:

Agloco
04-23-2009, 03:51 PM

LOL at Manu going cheap-ass on a computer. I guess those 20 million dollar extensions that you leave on the table do have an impact......

Agloco
04-23-2009, 03:56 PM
I agree with you and Ploto that Manu's name should not have been released.

While I agree with your point:

You're expecting a bit too much from a person earning $9.00/hr........

I can assure you that confidentiality is the last thing on a "late-teen/early twentys" mind, especially if the info involves a celebrity.

velik_m
04-23-2009, 04:04 PM
So Manu is a cheap ass?

I like him!

TMTTRIO
04-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Manu should have given it back right away and give it for free -- what does he need it for to update his facebook? :rolleyes He should be supporting his team not out value shopping.

Actually Manu went with the team on the road trip and of course he posted that he did on his facebook :lol. He also just now must've read the article because he offered an apology :).

I bet if it was Parker who wanted that laptop, Manu wouldn't have given it back.

Ok let's not turn this into another Manu vs Tony thread. Hopefully we won't have many for a long time now :).

angel_luv
04-23-2009, 05:30 PM
While I agree with your point:

You're expecting a bit too much from a person earning $9.00/hr........

I can assure you that confidentiality is the last thing on a "late-teen/early twentys" mind, especially if the info involves a celebrity.

Good point.

picnroll
04-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Maj. Griffeth, a lawyer at Randolph AFB, said the 3.2-pound laptop was to be an early gift for his 41st birthday. It has a seven-hour battery and is small enough for the war zone.
Must be one of those front line lawyers.

diego
04-23-2009, 05:48 PM
netbooks arent meant to replace laptops, but to complement them. they are too small to do anything but watch movies/youtube and check IM/facebook/email/skype etc. Most of the people I know that have them a) use them to check the internet from their bed/couch and b) have money to burn.

as for macs... overpriced and nowhere near as stable as once thought. My whole family converted and I've seen hardware failure as well as system crashes, especially from safari and firefox. PC's still have better prices and more to offer in software and hardware

Spursfan092120
04-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Pretty much bullshit...guy says "I was hoping he would..he's my son's hero." It's not like Manu knew what was up. I appreciate what the dude is doing in the military, but for the guy to whine and complain until someone gave up their computer..that's crap.

EricB
04-23-2009, 07:27 PM

I go to Best Buy all the time and never have they "forced" something or forced me to buy anything.

EricB
04-23-2009, 07:29 PM

Stop posting.

EricB
04-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Pretty much bullshit...guy says "I was hoping he would..he's my son's hero." It's not like Manu knew what was up. I appreciate what the dude is doing in the military, but for the guy to whine and complain until someone gave up their computer..that's crap.

Uh it was his laptop.

They gave him a raincheck for it.

Lets see the opposite happen to you and if you do it sunshine.

porscha
04-23-2009, 07:31 PM

:tu:lol

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Wow, this story reeks of a utter business incompetence.

Talk about somewhat good fortune coming out of multiple blunders.
Not only are both parties plunged into awkward anecdotage, they're forced to wait for their purchase to be concluded smoothly.

A Best Buy manager declined to discuss the matter but said the store would help the Griffeths find a similar laptop. The Spurs, meanwhile, have offered the family tickets to Tuesday's game against Dallas.

Ginobili was shocked to learn of the Griffeths' situation and feels badly about it, Spurs spokesman Tom James said.

“Manu apologizes for any stress or inconvenience this may have caused,” James said.

Manu shouldn't have had to feel bad on account of this specific Best Buy screwing up. Or wonder if they can get another laptop for the airman.

Maj. Griffeth said he blamed Best Buy, not Ginobili, for the mix-up.

“I think they went goo-goo-gah-gah because of who he is,” he said.

Lol, that's crazy, i wonder if they were young Spurs fanboy employees.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-23-2009, 07:55 PM
Yeah, Manu is a slave to his team and can only use his salary toward's team related purchases. How dare he use the internet for frivolous activities. How dare he buy whatever he wants with his own money in this free society.

mrcoon29
04-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Damn, Manu was shopping on my side of town and I missed it??!! WTF is he doing on my side of town?
Oh wait..he probably didn't drive to the Forum, they probably delivered it to his house; unlike the soldier having to drive to Laredo! LOL That's focked up - they could have offered to have the laptop in Laredo shipped to the Forum store.

redzero
04-23-2009, 08:34 PM
First, Manu flops to win championships. Now, he stealing laptops? Disgusting.

tmtcsc
04-23-2009, 08:43 PM
This story is ridiculous and makes the airman looking like a snotty nosed little wuss. Manu didn't have to return that laptop and the airman NEVER needed to say a word about this. How did this story make it to the papers ? What a joke. He should have just handled it discreetly. Is that the only laptop that would satisfy him ? Was there some other alternative ?

Geesh.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-23-2009, 08:55 PM
This story is ridiculous and makes the airman looking like a snotty nosed little wuss. Manu didn't have to return that laptop and the airman NEVER needed to say a word about this. How did this story make it to the papers ? What a joke. He should have just handled it discreetly. Is that the only laptop that would satisfy him ? Was there some other alternative ?

Geesh.
The quotes, MAKES the Airman look like he's snotty. Doesn't make him snotty.
If we were in that situation we would go "WTF? I had the raincheck!"

I don't hold either party accountable. It's just a stupid anecdotal report.
And I don't even think it's a matter of classiness or bad behavior by the Airman. Just awkward reporting that came out of the result of Manu giving the party involved "free tickets." I agree we shouldn't really know about it, but of course the reporters would get quotes from the Airman whose family received free tickets from the blunder, and were fans of Manu.

50 cent
04-23-2009, 08:57 PM
What a fucking whiney bitch that solider is.

carina_gino20
04-23-2009, 09:45 PM

i mean come on... manu is rich and should buy a quality product considering he has the dough to do so. windows machines are not quality products, well at least not the OS. do yourself a favor manu and get a mac. anything less is just a headache unless of course it's linux but that's a headache too but well worth it.

A lot of people in his forum have tried to convince him to buy a Mac. He said he's just more comfortable with Windows.

Spursmania
04-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Geez:sleep