PDA

View Full Version : Threat Of Physical Play By Mavs Could Prove More Effective Than Real Thing

duncan228
04-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Threat of physical play by Dallas Mavericks could prove more effective than real thing (http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/nwsltr/sports/mavs/stories/042309dnspomavsletter.32b59ea.html)
Eddie Sefko

Through all the whining about those mean old Mavericks and how they are going to face-plant Tony Parker in Game 3 and generally take a tougher stance against San Antonio the rest of the way in their first-round series, everybody drawing a paycheck from Mark Cuban should have one thing to say:

Thank you, Damp. It's about time somebody said something like that.

No, no, no. We're not talking about Dampier or anybody else going out there on a head-hunt. But this game isn't always about doing some sort of dirty deed. Sometimes the threat of the dirty deed helps.

Mind games, you know.

It's like the 20-handicap golfer who says he'll play the club champion as long as he gets two "gotchas." The champ agrees. How bad can a "gotcha" be, right? Then on his first tee shot, the 20-handicapper sneaks up on his backswing, slaps the champion on his rear and yells "gotcha."

Try playing the next 17 holes never knowing when the second "gotcha" is going to be unwrapped.

At the very least, it has made for some very good drama spiced in with what already was a great first-round series.

I Love Me Some Me
04-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Threat of physical play by Dallas Mavericks could prove more effective than real thing (http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/nwsltr/sports/mavs/stories/042309dnspomavsletter.32b59ea.html)
Eddie Sefko

Through all the whining about those mean old Mavericks and how they are going to face-plant Tony Parker in Game 3 and generally take a tougher stance against San Antonio the rest of the way in their first-round series, everybody drawing a paycheck from Mark Cuban should have one thing to say:

No, no, no. We're not talking about Dampier or anybody else going out there on a head-hunt. But this game isn't always about doing some sort of dirty deed. Sometimes the threat of the dirty deed helps.

Mind games, you know.

It's like the 20-handicap golfer who says he'll play the club champion as long as he gets two "gotchas." The champ agrees. How bad can a "gotcha" be, right? Then on his first tee shot, the 20-handicapper sneaks up on his backswing, slaps the champion on his rear and yells "gotcha."

Try playing the next 17 holes never knowing when the second "gotcha" is going to be unwrapped.

At the very least, it has made for some very good drama spiced in with what already was a great first-round series.

Dex
:wakeup

Because no team has ever threatened to put Tony on the floor before.

Part of Tony's amazing ability to drive is his ability to fall and tumble. He's a master of the jersey slide.

As competitive as Tony is, I don't think he is worried about Dampier's comments in the slightest.

manufan10
slaps the champion on his rear and yells "gotcha."

:nope

Hit the guy back, and he won't do it again! :ihit

texbumTHElife
04-23-2009, 02:17 PM
Fortunately for us, Pop values experience over athleticism so this bullshit wont work.

I Love Me Some Me
04-23-2009, 02:17 PM
Eddie Sefko

Mind games, you know.

Ridiculous.

Does he think they're still dealing with a 19 year-old rookie?

ChumpDumper
04-23-2009, 02:18 PM
That's an impressively stupid column.

duncan228
04-23-2009, 02:19 PM

:lol By the time we're done with the Mavs beat writers McDonald will look good.

Drachen
04-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Um. Mind games only work on young teams or even inexperienced veteran teams. Not this team, reaching for straws I think.

DPG21920
04-23-2009, 02:22 PM
:lmao I am so glad the game is tonight so we can stop with the bs.

SpursWoman
04-23-2009, 02:31 PM

:tu

FromWayDowntown
04-23-2009, 02:50 PM
In his 120th NBA playoff game (only 64 players in pro basketball history have played in more), I fully expect Tony Parker to be completely spooked and ineffective because Erick Dampier said he needs to be fouled hard.

Drachen
04-23-2009, 02:54 PM
In his 120th NBA playoff game (only 64 players in pro basketball history have played in more), I fully expect Tony Parker to be completely spooked and ineffective because Erick Dampier said he needs to be fouled hard.

120?? Really?? Damn, that is more than many NBA players even WATCH on TV!

Libri
04-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Mind games, you know. Dampier playing mind games. :lmao

manufan10
04-23-2009, 03:05 PM
Doesn't mind games require both parties to have a brain in order to work?

FromWayDowntown
04-23-2009, 03:06 PM
120?? Really?? Damn, that is more than many NBA players even WATCH on TV!

If the Spurs play at least 7 games in this playoff year, Parker will pass David Robinson's career total of 123 -- at the same time, he'll pass Charles Barkley (and Dan Majerle).

By passing Robinson, Parker will move behind only Tim Duncan in playoff appearances for the Spurs - though he will likely remain tied with Bruce Bowen in the process; each should see action in his 120th playoff game for the Spurs tonight.

I can remember back when no Spur had ever appeared in 100 playoff games. Robinson was the first to get there, appearing in Game 5 of the 2002 WCSF at LA. Since that time, Duncan (158 tonight), Parker (120), Bowen (120), and Ginobili (107) have all gone over 100 playoff games.

But, again, I'm sure that Little Tony Parker and his ever-so-fragile psyche will, under the weight of never-before-present threats of physical force, succomb.