PDA

View Full Version : Why all the Doom and Gloom for the Franchsie Health...

BillMc
04-23-2009, 06:37 PM
I keep reading and hearing how the Spurs are old and on their last legs... But you know, honestly, our key players are not that old. We really can contend for 3 to 4 more years in the Duncan era with a few tune-ups here or there.

Here are the key players that are actually pretty old (35+)

Bruce Bowen

Mike Finley

Kurt Thomas...

Okay, those guys (Bowen especially) will be hard to replace, but....

Tim Duncan is only 32. He's not 38, folks! Assuming his knees hold up he can play at an elite leve for 3 to 4 years, and possiblly be still damn good for up to six. He's smart and tall. He's not going to get dumber or shorter. He blocks shots without leaving his feet, which means if his verticle begins to drop he'll still be as dangerous, it just might cost him a few rebounds. Kareem was a finals MVP at 35, Tim can be too.

Parker is justing hitting his prime. Nuff said.

Manu is also only 32 (I think). He's the one I worry about the most. Not because of these ankle injuries (there supposed to heal if he rests this off season) but because of the way he plays. What makes Manu great is how he throws his body around to do what is needed to make the play. El Contusion I think they call him. It's similar to how Larry Bird played, and ask any Celtic fan how fast Bird's body wore out. That said, remember how dominant Manu was becoming in 2007-2008 before the first ankle injury? He was better than he'd ever been. IF (and its a big IF) Manu can regain that form for 1 or 2 years, and IF Tony just keeps getting better it will allow Pop to rest Duncan more during the regular season. And with fresh knees on Tim our Big THREE may just be BETTER (on average) than they ever have before come playoff time.

WIth another year of seasoning in the system Mason and Gooden (if we sign him) will also be even better. Pop may even let Hill contribute with a second training camp under his belt.

Replacing Kurt and Fin will be hard, and Bowen, frankly, is irreplacable. But I think, if the things, I mentioned above, happen and we sign maybe one more good player, we are along way from 'on our last legs' as both Skip Bayless and John Hollinger have recently said. Its wishful thinking for those who need things to talk about.

I mean we're third in the west now, we won our division, we're as good as anyone in the conference except probably the Lakers. And this is a "bad" year? We weathered injuries to all three of our Big Three this year, put in 2 new starters (Mason and Bonner), and a new bench guy (Gooden) and we only lost 2 more games then last year!!!

As I said, when healthy and with one addition or so, we're going to be very, very fearsome... The Spurs Era is a long way from over.

PDXSpursFan
04-23-2009, 06:43 PM
When the Spurs loss they're called "old", when they win the're called "experienced". ;)

Joe Schmoogins
04-23-2009, 06:52 PM
summer thread

BillMc
04-24-2009, 06:06 PM
When the Spurs loss they're called "old", when they win the're called "experienced". ;)

True. And we need more balance on our supporting cast. But my point, is the core 3 is not that old yet.

SenorSpur
04-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Because the car is leaking oil and the engine is developing rust.

spursfan09
04-24-2009, 10:51 PM
Do people actually think Manu won't be back next year?