PDA

View Full Version : How many times have you gotten your car fixed?

Frenzy
04-23-2009, 07:03 PM
I had a 04 kia rio that has been great to me for 5 years. I only had to take it to the dealership twice. Both were repaired under warranty. I have keep up with the maintenance pretty good. Oil change,tune up,transmission tires and recently the brakes. So any who...I was driving home and I was pulling into my parking spot and the car turns off before I have a chance to completly pull in. So i did the usual trying to turn it on...nada. So i put it in neutral and pushed it in about 5 feet haha. Lucky i wasn't on the road huh. So i tried later and still nada. I know nothing about cars so...naturally i called the dealer.

"Ancira"

So I called and I assume it was still under warrenty....I thought I had purchased and extra year of warrenty back when I first bought it. 6yr 75,000. Guess not. Still has power train warrenty but i still need to take it to ancira for them to check it. Car don't work so i guess i need a tow. Cheapest i found in town was 75$ from marbach to bandera rd. So i figured i'll take it later next week to some lube place to get a diagnostic check to see what it is.

so lets guess on the bill shall we?

here's the facts:

67,000 miles.
battery is good.

Only thing is car tries to turn on but doesn't turn over.

lets hear some prices...closest person gets bragging rights :lol

clambake
04-23-2009, 07:42 PM
i'd buy a new car.

maybe it's your fuel pump.

how much for a korean fuel pump?

TDMVPDPOY
04-23-2009, 07:46 PM
its a kia man, you get what you pay for, now move on

Vinnie_Johnson
04-23-2009, 07:46 PM
I would throw it out it's pretty much done.

angrydude
04-23-2009, 08:28 PM
A similar thing happened to me once. I was stopped at a stop sign and the car suddenly turned off.

Alternator just died.

something like only 300 dollars to fix. No big deal. That was 3 years ago.

Frenzy
04-23-2009, 09:08 PM
so a car that's broken down more than 2 times in 5 years throw out..

check :wakeup

PM5K
04-24-2009, 04:20 AM
Put some gas in it...

chreph
04-24-2009, 08:35 AM
More than likely your alternator and it should'nt be too expensive (unless you take it to the dealer). Don't listen to people, I've had 4 korean cars and all have been great and parts are EXTREMELY cheap compared to other makes. I've had an '02 elantra for 7 years now with 105K that has given me only 1 problem - the plastic radiators they use in cars today give out around 70K-80K miles but I got a brand new one w/ lifetime warranty and replaced it for $175. If you can be without the car for a few days and are able to diagnose the problem, look online for parts because shops will charge you outrageous prices so there isn't such a grand disparity between makes/models.

For example, I got a complete spare engine (2.0 used in '01-'03 elantras and '97-'01 tiburons) with only 22K miles on it for $250 while my mom's '03 buick century needed to have it's intake gaskets replaced which turned out to be $130 in parts... just for a gasket set

BacktoBasics
04-24-2009, 08:44 AM
Locate the alternator. Sometimes its easy to get to and other times its buried. If you can easily access it it'll probably only be 2-4 bolts to remove it. Take it to Autozone they'll check it for free. If the battery is good the alternator is likely your issue.

CosmicCowboy
04-24-2009, 08:48 AM
If the battery was good I don't think the car would have quit running just because the alternator was bad.

I'm gonna be a pessimist and say you broke a timing belt and it's gonna be 1K+ to fix.

Mixability
04-24-2009, 09:49 AM
I had a 04 kia rio

/end thread

BacktoBasics
04-24-2009, 09:52 AM
If the battery was good I don't think the car would have quit running just because the alternator was bad.

I'm gonna be a pessimist and say you broke a timing belt and it's gonna be 1K+ to fix.If the alternator was bad it would run off the battery but only until the battery drained completely. At that point it would be lights out until you had it recharged. It'd still check out as a good battery though.

phyzik
04-24-2009, 10:10 AM
If the alternator was bad it would run off the battery but only until the battery drained completely. At that point it would be lights out until you had it recharged. It'd still check out as a good battery though.

Right, but he says the car still cranks, it just doesnt turn over. Therefore the battery still has a charge so it cant be the alternator. If the alternator was bad, it would run off the battery like you said, but after the car stopped you wouldnt be able to crank it after that.

Could be a fuel pump. Disconnect the fuel line and have someone crank it, see if fuel is being spit out. Takes 15 minutes or so to do.

BacktoBasics
04-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Right, but he says the car still cranks, it just doesnt turn over. Therefore the battery still has a charge so it cant be the alternator. If the alternator was bad, it would run off the battery like you said, but after the car stopped you wouldnt be able to crank it after that.

Could be a fuel pump. Disconnect the fuel line and have someone crank it, see if fuel is being spit out. Takes 15 minutes or so to do.
I thought it was dead completely dead. If it tries to crank but won't and the battery is still good I'd look at the starter next. Yeah fuel pump would be worth a look however some of those newer vehicles have fuel pumps that are in the gas tank. I know Neons are that way. We had to drop the gas tank to get it out.

chode_regulator
04-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Starter was my guess. Shouldn't be too much if it is, especially since I believe autozone will take back in the core.

CosmicCowboy
04-24-2009, 10:48 AM
He said it died while he was driving it. Can't be the starter.

CosmicCowboy
04-24-2009, 10:50 AM
I still say timing belt...especially if it was a standard...he said it happened turning into his parking lot...downshift, reverse torque...snap.

Frenzy
04-24-2009, 10:53 AM
I still say timing belt...especially if it was a standard...he said it happened turning into his parking lot...downshift, reverse torque...snap.

you a grease monkey? i wish i was a grease monkey :depressed

CosmicCowboy
04-24-2009, 10:54 AM
BTW, can't see it being a fuel pump either...if it was running fine at highway speed I can't see it instantly going dead in a parking lot...

CosmicCowboy
04-24-2009, 10:57 AM
you a grease monkey? i wish i was a grease monkey :depressed

:lmao

nope. I'm just a smart SOB that knows a little about everything.

Frenzy
04-24-2009, 11:18 AM
:lmao

nope. I'm just a smart SOB that knows a little about everything.

been researching online and i'm starting to think it is the timing belt.

I never remember the dealer asking me to change it or if i even wanted to. Most need a change at 60k 70k and well my car is right in between that. PLus no sign you even need to change it other than actually looking at it.

this convinced me further :

CosmicCowboy
04-24-2009, 11:31 AM
been researching online and i'm starting to think it is the timing belt.

I never remember the dealer asking me to change it or if i even wanted to. Most need a change at 60k 70k and well my car is right in between that. PLus no sign you even need to change it other than actually looking at it.

this convinced me further :

Don't feel like the lone ranger...that happens all the time to those 4 cylinder rice burners. Most people don't even know what a timing belt is or that they need to replace it.

Just keep your fingers crossed that you didn't scramble your motor...

BacktoBasics
04-24-2009, 11:31 AM
ALRIGHT DAMMIT I admit I payed very little attention to the original post. I skimmed and CC is eating me up for it.

phyzik
04-24-2009, 12:01 PM
BTW, can't see it being a fuel pump either...if it was running fine at highway speed I can't see it instantly going dead in a parking lot...

actually it's happened to me. It took me forever trying to figure out WTF it was when it happened too. :lol

I had to drop the gas tank too to get to it since it was in the tank. pain in the ass.

mrose31
04-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Fuel pump, fuel filter, or timing belt these are all good guesses. It could be fuel pump mine went out when I was driving on highway and my car just died. Timing belt did same thing too though.

Jekka
04-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Don't feel like the lone ranger...that happens all the time to those 4 cylinder rice burners. Most people don't even know what a timing belt is or that they need to replace it.

Just keep your fingers crossed that you didn't scramble your motor...

I took my car in this last fall after getting to MI (the idiots at Goodyear who "fixed" my AC in Houston didn't reconnect the drain hose and my passenger side flooded ... all the way from TX to MI) and the guys at the shop were really surprised that no one had told me I needed to replace the timing belt - I was at 124,000 miles then, and hadn't had a problem yet, but was way overdue. The Honda guys said they recommend it at about 100k. Then I got a lecture from my uncle about what can happen to your engine when a timing belt blows ... fun stuff.

cherylsteele
04-25-2009, 12:12 PM
I had that happen to my Hyundai Accent just like Frenzy said. Right around the same mileage. I was very lucky though, the valves were not damaged, because it is an interference engine. I went ahead replaced all the belts at the same time for around $500. If it is your timing belt and bent the valves then you will need to replace them, and that is costly, unless covered by warranty. My parents own a KIA Spectra and they recommend replacing the timing belt at 60,000 miles, so if that is the case then your warranty may not cover it, much like if you never changed the oil and ruin bearings and such, warranty would be voided probably.