PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on our beloved Mavs tonight

Ghazi
04-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Well, this game is already in hand so I'll give my thoughts.

This is probably one of the weirdest games I've ever seen.

Dallas came out and set a tempo, was great on defense, and San Antonio, quite frankly, just couldn't hit any shots.

Our guys did a good job of staying in the Parker. Howard and Damps blocks were great. Our boys protected the paint.

In 1st half I kept thinking Mavs should be up by 20-25 at half, but missed a few shots and had too many turnovers.

But the beloved Mavs came out blazing in the 2nd half and Pop threw in the towel with 20 minutes left.

A wise move by Pop IMO.

So really, dunno what to say. This was basically a 28 minute game. Mavs played great on defense. I still wanna see Terry get going. Dirk was magnificent, as were Barea/Bass. Hell the whole team!

But yeah... unusual game. Doesn't mean much as far as "momentum" or "matchups", San Antonio will not shoot that poorly two games in a row.

Discuss.

Killakobe81
04-23-2009, 09:23 PM
Great perspective Ghazi ...agree Pop threw in towell Mavs just needs to try and find Terry he will be needed before the series is over

Budkin
04-23-2009, 09:46 PM
Props to the Mavs tonight... they just absolutely kicked our sorry asses all over the place. Tough to be a Spurs fan tonight.

mavs>spurs2
04-23-2009, 09:47 PM
Mavs new gameplan on TP totally blindsided them. Someone was always playing goalie on him at all times. By this I mean, a long defender was always assigned to come over for the blindside block from behind rather than try to step up and get a foul. Spurs have become a one man show..

Trainwreck2100
04-23-2009, 10:01 PM
it also helps when he TP shoots the outside shot like Tony Parker and the team shoots threes like Jason Kidd with the flu

ElNono
04-23-2009, 10:03 PM
I honestly didn't think the Mavs defense was that good, and I thought we played decent defense ourselves in the first half. We just couldn't hit the side of a barn tonight.
And once you start getting in a big hole, you start taking ill advised shots and compound the problem. Mavs get the credit for getting it done. As far as the Spurs, we just can't have any more games like this.

dirk4mvp
04-23-2009, 10:05 PM
Dampier was locking folks up tonight, especially Duncan.

Has Duncan ever scored 4 points in a playoff game?

Trainwreck2100
04-23-2009, 10:06 PM

Well he's never sat out an entire half that's for sure

Spursmania
04-23-2009, 10:07 PM
Dampier was locking folks up tonight, especially Duncan.

Probably not, but he only played 15 minutes.:lol

Spursmania
04-23-2009, 10:08 PM
Props to the Mavs. Spurs didn't show up tonight and you deserve the win.:toast

dirk4mvp
04-23-2009, 10:09 PM
He still took 9 shots.

And Pitface Pop looked like he gives a flying shit about the series.

IronMexican
04-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Now the big question: Once Dampier leaves the Mavs, will he be considered the next Hakeem Olajuwon or Bill Russel?

dirk4mvp
04-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Next Desanga Diop.

sribb43
04-23-2009, 10:27 PM
I totally expect the mavs to dominate and I expect game 4 to be a real battle that will go down to the wire....if mavs want to win this series they better take game 4

Findog
04-23-2009, 10:31 PM
Was at the game tonight. I might have seen 20 Spurs fans. Usually the visiting team's fans show up, and the Spurs are only 4 hours away. I swear I saw more Hornets fans last year at Game 3.

ElNono
04-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Was at the game tonight. I might have seen 20 Spurs fans. Usually the visiting team's fans show up, and the Spurs are only 4 hours away. I swear I saw more Hornets fans last year at Game 3.

Kori and LJ were there... so that's 18 Spurs fans you didn't know.

mavs>spurs2
04-23-2009, 10:34 PM
it also helps when he TP shoots the outside shot like Tony Parker and the team shoots threes like Jason Kidd with the flu

Jason Kidd is a 42% 3 point shooter this year

Findog
04-23-2009, 10:38 PM

Don't confuse them with facts.

Trainwreck2100

for his career he sucks, and he had the flu

Spursfan092120
Exactly..Spurs played horrible, Mavs played great. Nothing to see here..great game Dallas..we'll see you Saturday.

Findog
04-23-2009, 10:40 PM
for his career he sucks, and he had the flu

He's slow but a good 3-point shooter now. He was fast and not a good 3-point shooter then.

Jacob1983
04-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Great win and a good way to bounce back after that butt raping that the Mavs received in game 2. However, the Mavs cannot let up. They have to keep their foot on the gas and not stop for a second because the Spurs aren't just gonna bend over and take it in the butt. I'm proud of the Mavs tonight but the series is not over.

Ghazi
04-23-2009, 10:42 PM
Great win and a good way to bounce back after that butt raping that the Mavs received in game 2. However, the Mavs cannot let up. They have to keep their foot on the gas and not stop for a second because the Spurs aren't just gonna bend over and take it in the butt. I'm proud of the Mavs tonight but the series is not over.

It isn't?!:rolleyes:rolleyes

OMG!

Rogue
04-23-2009, 10:43 PM
The spurs just lost a game they were supposed to lose, our boys in blue have no excuse to give up the home court advantage back to spurs. Surely there will be a dogfight in game 5, in which the spurs will play at home with 1-3 down. Mavs in 6.

Trainwreck2100
04-23-2009, 10:49 PM
He's slow but a good 3-point shooter now. He was fast and not a good 3-point shooter then.

I know he's a good shooter now, why do you think i gave him the flu i'd expect that his volume taken is probably down because he's surrounded by shooter. Anyways i said that parker shot the j like parker even though he's been good this year he's been pretty shit cept for the last 2 years and the finals before it. I'm talking careers here

BUMP
04-23-2009, 11:05 PM
we looked pretty good out there tonight. Spurs shot horribly, but we are gonna shoot that good at home so get used to it in game 4 SpurFan. We've been doing it all year. however i still dont think the series is over. if we win game 4 we are right back to 2006 and we werent able to close it out until game 7 OT.

game 4 is huge. if Spurs win, then this series is all knotted up again, but if we win i think the nail is pretty much in the coffin. Spurs confidence will take a serious hit if that were to happen

ElNono
04-23-2009, 11:25 PM
we looked pretty good out there tonight. Spurs shot horribly, but we are gonna shoot that good at home so get used to it in game 4 SpurFan. We've been doing it all year. however i still dont think the series is over. if we win game 4 we are right back to 2006 and we werent able to close it out until game 7 OT.

I didn't think they shot that well. 46 points at the half is manageable. Obviously, if you contrast it to our shooting, it looked amazing.

dallaskd
04-23-2009, 11:29 PM
one of the funnest games ive been too. complete domination. if we can win 1 of the next 2 the series is over.

Trainwreck2100
04-23-2009, 11:29 PM
I didn't think they shot that well. 46 points at the half is manageable. Obviously, if you contrast it to our shooting, it looked amazing.

that first half the mavs turned the ball over 8 times and the spurs converted it to 2 whole points

15 RINGS BITCH
04-23-2009, 11:34 PM
they arent my mavs, nor am i really a fan of them, but i gotta say, after what happened to them in the finals, its hard not to root for them.

we kinda look at them as winning the championship that year, lol.

we have a joke around here that the mavs won it, but the heat got it, lol.

back to the game tonight. dayum, that was a beatdown.

i have NEVER seen dallas play defense like that. ive never seen ANY TEAM choke out the spurs like that.

i dont even think ive seen THE SPURS choke a team like that, and they are supposed to be the defensive team in this series.

i think if dallas wins game 4, turn off the lights, the party is over.

before the series started i picked dallas to win in 6, but if the spurs dont steal one in dallas like the mavs did to the spurs, its not going to go 6.

Ghazi
04-23-2009, 11:37 PM
they arent my mavs, nor am i really a fan of them, but i gotta say, after what happened to them in the finals, its hard not to root for them.

we kinda look at them as winning the championship that year, lol.

we have a joke around here that the mavs won it, but the heat got it, lol.

back to the game tonight. dayum, that was a beatdown.

i have NEVER seen dallas play defense like that. ive never seen ANY TEAM choke out the spurs like that.

i dont even think ive seen THE SPURS choke a team like that, and they are supposed to be the defensive team in this series.

i think if dallas wins game 4, turn off the lights, the party is over.

before the series started i picked dallas to win in 6, but if the spurs dont steal one in dallas like the mavs did to the spurs, its not going to go 6.

That they did my friend, that they did

DPG21920
04-23-2009, 11:38 PM
You are a Lakers fan and have never seen a team beatdown the Spurs like that?

15 RINGS BITCH
04-23-2009, 11:42 PM
have the spurs ever scored less than that in a playoff game?

DPG21920
04-23-2009, 11:43 PM
have the spurs ever scored less than that in a playoff game?

Nope, but they have been beaten down just as bad and swept.

15 RINGS BITCH
04-23-2009, 11:43 PM
i know we have busted their balls more.

im talking about CHOKE OUT DEFENSE IN a basketball game.

peskypesky
04-23-2009, 11:46 PM
Spurs just playing possum.

15 RINGS BITCH
04-23-2009, 11:47 PM
Spurs just playing possum.

lol.

monosylab1k
04-23-2009, 11:48 PM
Mavs played okay, Spurs played beyond atrocious. Good win for the Mavs, but tonight the Tennessee Lady Vols could have beaten the Spurs.

Shank
04-23-2009, 11:53 PM
Mavs played okay, Spurs played beyond atrocious. Good win for the Mavs, but tonight the Tennessee Lady Vols could have beaten the Spurs.

Man, you grade hard...

Ghazi
04-23-2009, 11:57 PM

I disagree

15 RINGS BITCH
04-24-2009, 12:02 AM
lol, had players blocking shots that looked like they were flying in from halfcourt, and the guy says they played "ok"

they were not playing horse. maverick players were flying around like rabbid bats man.

you didnt see that? seriously?

Ghazi
04-24-2009, 12:04 AM
I actually wasn't impressed with the Mavs offensively. The turnovers were agitating and quite a few missed shots in immediate basket area.

But the defense was very good by Mavs standards. Although part of it was the Spurs missing shots, that's usually how it is though.

The margin was indeed probably more due to the Spurs playing really bad instead of the Mavs playing a flawless game.

monosylab1k
04-24-2009, 12:06 AM
The Mavs played with a lot of energy but I saw nothing in this game that makes me think they've figured anything out about the Spurs. I saw a whole lot of jump shots taken by the Mavs (except Barea). I didn't see anything that tells me they've had any actual change in attitude that will amount to much in the future.

I can easily see the Spurs winning Game 4 even after this curbstomping.

15 RINGS BITCH
04-24-2009, 12:11 AM
consistency has not been their strong point, but i gotta give them credit tonight, they were swarming.

they did have 8 blocks, which has to have mav fan smiling.

i could also see them coming back strong, but i think if dallas gives that kind of effort in the next 2 games, they are winning this series

Ghazi
04-24-2009, 12:22 AM
The Mavs played with a lot of energy but I saw nothing in this game that makes me think they've figured anything out about the Spurs. I saw a whole lot of jump shots taken by the Mavs (except Barea). I didn't see anything that tells me they've had any actual change in attitude that will amount to much in the future.

What you expect :D

Shank
04-24-2009, 12:24 AM
The catalysts for tonight were Barea getting the start and coming out strong and Josh Howard with a solid 1st half (except for his fucking around before halftime).

15 RINGS BITCH
04-24-2009, 12:24 AM
well, mavs are the only playoff road team ahead in their series in the west so far this year.

thats a definite change of pace from the last couple of years

Findog
04-24-2009, 12:33 AM

I can too, but the Spurs aren't really any better than us. Very evenly-matched. Both teams have laid a turd so far.

Findog
04-24-2009, 12:38 AM
and the reason you say you saw nothing new in their attitude or understanding of the spurs? pop pulled his starters after the first tv timeout. our boys in blue were not tested tonight.

BUMP
04-24-2009, 12:42 AM
i do have a slight feeling that the Spurs might've mailed it in already for the season. its championship or bust and lets face it: if you cant beat the lowly Mavs, you arent going anywhere. they probably realize that if they do barely squeak out this series then they will MURDERED in Denver and i havent even brought up LA and Cleveland

ElNono
04-24-2009, 12:42 AM
Both teams are very inconsistent. I think it's beyond the little adjustments you can do game to game. That's why this series has turned into a big unknown. Spurs have to get one in Dallas, and I would say the next one is as good as any.

ElNono
04-24-2009, 12:45 AM
i do have a slight feeling that the Spurs might've mailed it in already for the season. its championship or bust and lets face it: if you cant beat the lowly Mavs, you arent going anywhere. they probably realize that if they do barely squeak out this series then they will MURDERED in Denver and i havent even brought up LA and Cleveland

I don't know that Pop already mailed in the season, but sure as heck he ain't trying too hard. It's hard to pull the white flag on a playoff game, but when nothing you're shooting is going in, I think you just need to look forward to the next game.

BUMP
04-24-2009, 12:52 AM
i dont think ive ever seen a team as athletic as Denver.

Melo, Anderson, Smith, Martin can all jump out of the gym while Kleiza, Nene, Jones and Billups are athletic as well

Ghayzi
04-24-2009, 06:32 PM
:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer

I'm already looking forward to a Mavs and Cavs finals!! J-ho should be more than sufficient to lock down King James! We got this! :)

Ghazi
04-24-2009, 06:34 PM
yeah yeah real mature :lol

polysylab1k
04-25-2009, 10:29 AM
We love our boys in blue.