PDA

View Full Version : Duncan needs to average close to 30 ppg

vednam
04-23-2009, 10:02 PM
The Spurs aren't going anywhere with Timmy averaging in the low teens and throwing up single-digit stinkers.

With Manu out, Tim and Tony have to step up and make up for the loss in scoring. That's the only hope with such few offensive weapons around them. They need to average 50-60 ppg between them like Shaq and Kobe Bryant used to.

The Spurs don't have the most sophisticated offense, and they never have. They won with great defense, and on offense they relied on Duncan's consistent production, as well as his ability to draw double teams and get his teammates wide open shots. Tim can't be content to set up at the high post and shoot jumpers. He has to be aggresive, put up 25 shots a game, and operate in the low post. That's the only way the rest of the team (with their limited offensive abilities) will get rolling. Neglecting to get the ball to Duncan leads to either

1) relying on Tony to carry the entire load and create everything, which will wear Tony down or

2) watching a bunch of guys who can't create any shots try and fail to create shots

We shouldn't be watching limited players chucking up contested jumpers all night (since that is all they can do) when you have Tim Duncan to throw the ball to.

Tony has stepped up to the challenge. He didn't play very well tonight, but if Pop hadn't pulled him, he would have gotten his 20. It's now on Timmy to step to the plate.

15 RINGS BITCH
04-23-2009, 10:04 PM
lol, ya, instead of 4 points and 2 rebounds?

Spursox
04-23-2009, 10:06 PM
When was the last time Timmy scored 30 points?

antimvp
04-23-2009, 10:08 PM
timmy is getting lazy.

DAF86
04-23-2009, 10:08 PM
Spurs fans should stop with this "Tony/Tim needs to average 30 points in this series" crap. All that the Spurs need to do is play Spurs basketball, that is: play defense and look for the open man on offense. We aren't the fucking Miami Heat.

vednam
04-23-2009, 10:10 PM

He had 27 in Game 1.

loveforthegame
04-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Star players get a pass for bad games.

It's role players like Finley, Bonner, Udoka, Thomas, and so on that get the blame.

Borosai
04-23-2009, 10:12 PM
He can start by dominating Dirk on the post instead of throwing up some very weak shit.

NewJerSpur
04-23-2009, 10:13 PM
The team hasn't had to primarily rely on Duncan to draw double teams on offense in a while, but he will have to stay aggressive if he's up to it physically....not simply because of the scoring, but to widdle Dallas front line to Hollins or get them in so much foul trouble they play him soft.

Josepatches_
04-23-2009, 10:13 PM

When he was healthy before the all star break.

He was awful tonight but we dind't play enough with him in the low post since he had knee problems.If he feels good it must be our first offensive play.

dirk4mvp
04-23-2009, 10:14 PM
He had 27 in Game 1.

I doubt you're a math major, so I'll help you out. 27 != 30

vednam
04-23-2009, 10:16 PM
The team hasn't had to primarily rely on Duncan to draw double teams on offense in a while, but he will have to stay aggressive if he's up to it physically....not simply because of the scoring, but to widdle Dallas front line to Hollins or get them in so much foul trouble they play him soft.

I would argue that the team has relied on Duncan to draw double teams during their championship years.

That's the reason the Suns couldn't handle them, even though they had twice as many offensive weapons. Duncan simply couldn't be contained by one guy, and that allowed guys like Bowen, Finley, etc. to get open shots and get going.

Think of Game 7 vs. Detroit in 2005. Duncan didn't shoot a great percentage (I think he was 10-27 or something), but he was aggresive, and he kept taking it inside. Most of the points the Spurs got down the stretch came either from Duncan directly, or by a kick-out from Duncan after he was double-teamed.

vednam
04-23-2009, 10:22 PM
I doubt you're a math major, so I'll help you out. 27 != 30

Actually, I am a math major (and you obviously don't know that math is not the same thing as elementary arithmetic).

If you read my thread title, I said close to 30 ppg. 27 is close to 30, and scoring 27 indicates an ability to score close to or greater than 30. I thought most people would get the general idea that Duncan was still capable of having big scoring nights from my reply.

iilluzioN
04-23-2009, 10:23 PM
timmy is hurt and old, give him a brake.... we need manu

dirk4mvp
04-23-2009, 10:24 PM

He had 27 in Game 1.

Stop wasting your parent's money, broseph.

NewJerSpur
04-23-2009, 10:24 PM
I would argue that the team has relied on Duncan to draw double teams during their championship years.

That's the reason the Suns couldn't handle them, even though they had twice as many offensive weapons. Duncan simply couldn't be contained by one guy, and that allowed guys like Bowen, Finley, etc. to get open shots and get going.

Think of Game 7 vs. Detroit in 2005. Duncan didn't shoot a great percentage (I think he was 10-27 or something), but he was aggresive, and he kept taking it inside. Most of the points the Spurs got down the stretch came either from Duncan directly, or by a kick-out from Duncan after he was double-teamed.

Detroit has often played Timmy straight up with Sheed....back then especially they were better playing defense one-on-one and Wallace is known to give Duncan problems.

Tony and especially Manu have been the main catalysts for the team's offense on many occasions. Tim has still had his breakout games, but the dribble penetration more so than just post-up play has given our spot-up shooters opportunites from behind the arc the last few postseasons. Tim AND Gooden are going to have to be the focal points of the offense in this PARTICULAR series though IMO....unless Tony goes nuclear again.

vednam
04-23-2009, 10:29 PM
Stop wasting your parent's money, broseph.

You're an idiot.

dirk4mvp
04-23-2009, 10:30 PM
cool story, bro.

30 > 27

S4Spur21
04-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Washed up.

vednam
04-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Detroit has often played Timmy straight up with Sheed....back then especially they were better playing defense one-on-one and Wallace is known to give Duncan problems.

Tony and especially Manu have been the main catalysts for the team's offense on many occasions. Tim has still had his breakout games, but the dribble penetration more so than just post-up play has given our spot-up shooters opportunites from behind the arc the last few postseasons. Tim AND Gooden are going to have to be the focal points of the offense in this PARTICULAR series though IMO....unless Tony goes nuclear again.

You are right in your first point, but I think in that particular Game 7 Duncan's aggresiveness forced a lot of double teams.

I agree that dribble penetration has helped a lot. But the underlying theme is the Spurs' offensive success has relied on the ability of three players and their exceptional one on one abilities and the fact that they demand lots of defensive attention. That demand for defensive attention has usually created opportunities for the more limited shooters.

Manu is out, Tony is doing his part in this respect, and I think Duncan needs to get the ball more and be more agressive.

SCdac
04-23-2009, 10:35 PM
I watched the first half of the game, but had to leave the tv. When I caught the game at some bar, I could have sworn I saw the spurs with 38 points... with 2 minutes left in the third!!... that is discouraging... Tim Duncan can't put up pedestrian numbers if we are to win a series, a couple of games yeah, but not the series. If they continue to collapse on Parker like they did in this game, it's up to Timmy to be active and aggressive, and not get flustered by early missed calls.

Chomag
04-23-2009, 10:37 PM
Timmy needs to come out with his killer instinct and not worry about the refing game. Even if he is gettinghacked in there, Keep pounding it in big fella and destroy them!

NewJerSpur
04-23-2009, 10:38 PM
You are right in your first point, but I think in that particular Game 7 Duncan's aggresiveness forced a lot of double teams.

I agree that dribble penetration has helped a lot. But the underlying theme is the Spurs' offensive success has relied on the ability of three players and their exceptional one on one abilities and the fact that they demand lots of defensive attention. That demand for defensive attention has usually created opportunities for the more limited shooters.

Manu is out, Tony is doing his part in this respect, and I think Duncan needs to get the ball more and be more agressive.

Point taken. Dribble penetration has become our bread-and-butter for a while now with the additions of Tony and Manu, but it's going to have to revert back to good old fashion post-up-play now IMO. Gooden was OWNING when Tim went to the bench in the 2nd quarter of game 2....don't know what happened tonight.

vednam
04-24-2009, 01:20 AM
Timmy needs to come out with his killer instinct and not worry about the refing game. Even if he is gettinghacked in there, Keep pounding it in big fella and destroy them!

yeah

I'd like to see the Spurs come out and establish Timmy early.

kace
04-24-2009, 01:37 AM
yeah

I'd like to see the Spurs come out and establish Timmy early.

Tim took 5 out of the first eleven shots for the spurs. he was not exactly forgotten. he could make only 1 of them, though.

What is worrying me is when i see Tim one on one against this scrub named Dampier, i feel not so confident about the outcome of the duel.

There was a time, not so far, when you would have seen Tim played one on one by some scrub, you were just knowing it would be 2 points, 2 FT or an "and one".

i just don't feel it anymore from Tim. He scores a lot thanks to his smartness, feeded by tony from PnR, mid range, tips.... but when he scores on post moves against physical defenders, it always seems very arduous.

he just don't dominate as he used to. i really hope he has still it in him but if that's the case, i really wonder what he is waiting to show that. I "hope" at least that he could "just" be hampered by his knees. better that the fact of the end of the dominating Duncan.

Ghazi
04-24-2009, 01:48 AM
Damper is not a scrub

He is a decent defender

Sean Cagney
04-24-2009, 01:53 AM
Damper is not a scrub

He is a decent defender

Yeah he as too in 06 when Timmay got 32 ppg in that series and owned all! Tim is not Tim and he needs to BE TIM for them to win, it's that simple. Tim is not near himself, and thats the big concern here, he is not doing what he could even then nor near it, period.

kace
04-24-2009, 01:54 AM
Damper is not a scrub

He is a decent defender

you're right.

Tim used to destroy decent defender one-on-one.