PDA

View Full Version : If the Spurs were going to lose . . .

timvp
04-23-2009, 10:25 PM
. . . that's the way to lose. The turnaround time for Game 4 is rather quick. Fatigue now doesn't have to be a concern. Motivation should also not be a concern. Pop and the coaching staff should have the team's full attention.

Playoff losses are always tough to swallow but this one had no mystery. The Mavs were clogging the land and single-teaming Duncan. If that happens and Duncan can't score against single coverage and the three-point shooters aren't going to make shots, then the Spurs are going to get blown out. Thankfully, the Spurs can usually beat that style of defense. If they can't then they were going to trip up somewhere along the line anyways. There was no secret strategy the Mavs used or anything that should cause too much worry. It's a matter of execution and personnel playing up to their abilities on that end.

Defensively it was a little bit more worrisome, mostly because Finley can't defend his own got damn shadow and Bonner gets soft if he's not producing on the other end. But more energy, more focus and a better defensive effort out of Duncan will give the Spurs a shot. It looked like what I dreaded happened ... the Spurs didn't account for the fact that the Mavs were going to play with about 1000 times as much energy as they did in Game 2. The Spurs came out like they were going to go up against the same Mavs team they saw in San Antonio. Hopefully they now realize the difference and adjust accordingly.

All in all, this series still is pretty much going as expected. I gave the Spurs a 35-40% shot to win it when it began and I still give them that shot. They're no doubt the underdogs because they have to play closer to perfect than the Mavs but it's entirely possible.

Regroup, watch film, listen to Pop rant, fill the cup with determination and try to regain homecourt advantage on Saturday.

Believe.

P.S.

[edited due to complaints]

ducks
04-23-2009, 10:32 PM
yeah atleast all the shooters were cold tonight
I think they will be hot next game

4001 STEREO SPUR
04-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Motivation should also not be a concern. Pop and the coaching staff should have the team's full attention.

They certainly should be motivated now!!
:ihit :ihit :ihit

TDMVPDPOY
04-23-2009, 10:41 PM
so what happens if they dont win game 4?

hoping for a turn around in game 5?

:(

rold50
04-23-2009, 10:41 PM
Believe

ElNono
04-23-2009, 10:43 PM
Tell you what, they better not come out with a bubu on Saturday. No excuses. The next game is a must-win.

timvp
04-23-2009, 10:45 PM
Yeah man, all you gave was a transcript. :rolleyes

Whatever. I wasn't at the game, and I don't say stuff like that to opposing fans at sporting events, so I've got no real interest here. But, like I said, I expect better out of the people who run this board (and some of the other top posters here). Also, it's incredibly hypocritical, because I've heard the same caliber stuff (and worse) every single time I've been to SA for a game.I don't hear Spurs fans calling every opponents fans a homophobic slur. Even little kids. Spurs fans are at least a little bit more creative.

that's okay, because the Spurs--sorry, the Spurs fans personally--have four championships?Good point.

Four rings.

DPG21920
04-23-2009, 10:48 PM
Timvp: How do you explain the way the game went? Meaning, do you put it on Pop not having the guys ready? Is it Tim and Tony's fault for not being focused and bringing the energy...?

Findog
04-23-2009, 10:49 PM
Timvp: How do you explain the way the game meant? Meaning, do you put it on Pop not having the guys ready? Is it Tim and Tony's fault for not being focused and bringing the energy...?

Personally, it just seems like the Spurs couldn't hit water from a boat. At one point they were 1/14 from 3-pt. At the half they were 13/43 from the floor. That's just not going to happen again. The Mavs energy and execution was much better, as evidenced by them dominating the boards, but I don't expect the Spurs to shoot that badly again.

spursfan1000
04-23-2009, 10:51 PM
I expect the Spurs to ajust well for game 4 as they did from 1-2. I think that they will win game 4 in a close game.

ManuTP9
04-23-2009, 10:51 PM
Game 4 well be ready

Rogue
04-23-2009, 10:57 PM
by far in this series, smokey has been playing beyond good. I think the spurs will survive longer if Pop put out Bowen in the starting lineup, otherwise even smokey himself will be a big trouble for the spurs in game 4&5, or even in game 6 if necessary.

leemajors
04-23-2009, 11:04 PM
I really like the area though (cool bars, nice living/shopping and restaurants), too bad there are a lot of d-bags. But the young ladies and Dallacudas are lovely to look at.

the quarter bar was really cool last time i was up there. nice beer selection.

DPG21920
04-23-2009, 11:07 PM
There is really nothing left to say about the game though. Like I said many times, with all the talent these teams have in the NBA, many times energy and focus is the difference in winning and losing.

Can't wait to see the 5000000000000 articles analyzing this game :sleep

ElNono
04-23-2009, 11:09 PM
There is really nothing left to say about the game though. Like I said many times, with all the talent these teams have in the NBA, many times energy and focus is the difference in winning and losing.

Can't wait to see the 5000000000000 articles analyzing this game :sleep

Actually, I can't wait to read the gazillion articles propping the Mavs new and improved defense, when we really had open looks and we couldn't knock down anything. That said, I'm glad next game is in 40 something hours.

timvp
04-23-2009, 11:10 PM
Alright let me go check out this town.

Findog
04-23-2009, 11:16 PM
Alright let me go check out this town.

Stay away from the West End (lame) and Deep Ellum (unsafe). For bars and nightlife, there is Lee Harvey's, The Quinn, the Lakewood Landing, the bars in Exposition Park near the Cotton Bowl (Meridian Room, New Amsterdam Bar).

I don't know what you like to eat, but there's plenty of good places depending on what you're looking for.

dallaskd
04-23-2009, 11:17 PM
timvp, what did you think about the acc and everything tonight? how does it compare to at&t

DPG21920
04-23-2009, 11:22 PM
Woah, I leave for 3 mins and there is a ton of edits.

timvp
04-23-2009, 11:22 PM
I moved the extra curricular topics to this thread:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123989

Both fanbases played hard.

leemajors
04-23-2009, 11:23 PM
Stay away from the West End (lame) and Deep Ellum (unsafe). For bars and nightlife, there is Lee Harvey's, The Quinn, the Lakewood Landing, the bars in Exposition Park near the Cotton Bowl (Meridian Room, New Amsterdam Bar).

I don't know what you like to eat, but there's plenty of good places depending on what you're looking for.

is greenville still ok? he could always pig out at snuffer's on cheese fries

timvp
04-23-2009, 11:24 PM

I don't know what you like to eat, but there's plenty of good places depending on what you're looking for.Thanks for suggestions.

timvp, what did you think about the acc and everything tonight? how does it compare to at&tAAC = pretty damn cool. Like Staples but not as mall-ish. More later if I remember :drunk

DPG21920
04-23-2009, 11:28 PM
ACC is a great place. They do a fantastic job.

Greenville is cool. There are a lot of nice places. Timvp, check out Glorias, good food and the ritas will make you forget the beat down :drunk

ploto
04-23-2009, 11:30 PM
timvp, what did you think about the acc and everything tonight? how does it compare to at&t

Air Canada Center? Just kiddin'

The American Airlines Center is really nice- better than the AT&T. I have always had good experiences there and fans were never awful to me, and I cheer really loud and get all excited. Actually, the only person I remember ever being ugly to me was a woman and her BF looked at her like she was an idiot. I was there for the OT game 4 in 2006 and when it was over, the guys by me shook my hand, said good game, and see you at Game 6.

Findog
04-23-2009, 11:31 PM
is greenville still ok? he could always pig out at snuffer's on cheese fries

If he goes to Greenville, then I would recommend the Libertine and not much else.

Findog
04-23-2009, 11:32 PM
ACC is a great place. They do a fantastic job.

Greenville is cool. There are a lot of nice places. Timvp, check out Glorias, good food and the ritas will make you forget the beat down :drunk

The original Gloria's is on Davis in my neighborhood!

DPG21920
04-23-2009, 11:33 PM
I always checked out shows at Granada, it was cool.

dallaskd
04-23-2009, 11:33 PM
Victory Park is the shit.

Capt Bringdown
04-23-2009, 11:38 PM
Spurs were down 16 to 27 after the first quarter.

Lakers were also down 17 to 26 after the first. Yet they were able to regroup, adjust and kick ass. Now up by 8 after 3.

I don't think the Spurs are capable of making a similar effort this year. Once they're down, you pretty much know the game is over.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-23-2009, 11:46 PM
Spurs were down 16 to 27 after the first quarter.

Lakers were also down 17 to 26 after the first. Yet they were able to regroup, adjust and kick ass. Now up by 8 after 3.

I don't think the Spurs are capable of making a similar effort this year. Once they're down, you pretty much know the game is over.
Phil jackson wouldn't throw in the towel in the 2nd quarter.

DPG21920
04-23-2009, 11:46 PM
The Lakers are much better than the Spurs.

Findog
04-23-2009, 11:51 PM
I always checked out shows at Granada, it was cool.

saw the Brian Jonestown Massacre there last week. Great venue, good sound.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-23-2009, 11:52 PM
The Lakers are much better than the Spurs.

That doesn't mean anything. We're not playing against the Lakers. We're in a matchup, that is a toss up.

monosylab1k
04-23-2009, 11:53 PM
saw the Brian Jonestown Massacre there last week. Great venue, good sound.

Granada is awesome. Only been to one show there, The Cool Kids, but I keep planning on going back. It's unfortunate that there's very few decent live music spots in Dallas. The Gypsy Tea Room was one of the best places in Texas but Laura Miller fucked that up.

DPG21920
04-23-2009, 11:53 PM
I saw Tim Reynolds there, Woodbelly, We are Scientists (twice). Fair prices, cool vibe.

Shank
04-23-2009, 11:54 PM
And let's not even get into what they did to Deep Ellum. Completely ruined a badass little section of town.

DPG21920
04-23-2009, 11:54 PM
That doesn't mean anything. We're not playing against the Lakers. We're in a matchup, that is a toss up.

It really is not though. The Mavs are the better team. It might be a toss up with regards to the Mavs are not "Lakers" better than the Spurs, but it would be a surprising win for the Spurs, especially without Gino.

I am rooting for them, but that is the truth.

DPG21920
04-23-2009, 11:55 PM
And let's not even get into what they did to Deep Ellum. Completely ruined a badass little section of town.

Used to be a big time music venue, now it sucks.

Shank
04-23-2009, 11:57 PM
No doubt. I used to go to Trees all the time back in my college days. Old 97s, The Caldwells...even had a beer alongside Zach de la Rocha there. Stupid fucking Dallas government.

monosylab1k
04-23-2009, 11:58 PM

Well Laura Miller is to blame for that, but at the same time, another group of people ruined Deep Ellum before the city did. Don't want to get all racist in there, but Chris Rock might have done a bit about them -

s7b2oCYgfik

Shank
04-24-2009, 12:16 AM
Just watched that whole thing. I love Chris Rock's fingers.

timvp
04-24-2009, 01:52 PM
Interesting city.:wakeup

DPG21920
04-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Interesting city.:wakeup

Where did you end up, hopefully not the bath house :wow

EricB
04-24-2009, 03:30 PM

They were down 30, I'd say the team mailed it in before Pop did.

Spursmania
04-24-2009, 04:18 PM
The players never showed up to play. Game 4 a must win now. No excuses.:hat

Fpoonsie
04-24-2009, 07:07 PM
I saw Tim Reynolds there, Woodbelly, We are Scientists (twice). Fair prices, cool vibe.

Yeah. I saw Blues Traveler there twice, Woodbelly, and Jamie Cullum. Great venue. 's a damn shame.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2009, 07:07 PM

You mean they ran out all the drug dealers, the skinheads and the rapists?

Obstructed_View
04-24-2009, 07:09 PM

Once they're down, you pretty much know they are going to just quit and get blown the fuck out. They've gotten their heads handed to them by more teams this year than I can ever remember.

Findog
04-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Once they're down, you pretty much know they are going to just quit and get blown the fuck out. They've gotten their heads handed to them by more teams this year than I can ever remember.

Tim Duncan is...The Wrestler!!!!!

Findog
04-24-2009, 08:15 PM

Mavs have been just as bad in this category, if not worse, than the Spurs.

florige
04-24-2009, 08:19 PM
so what happens if they dont win game 4?

hoping for a turn around in game 5?

:(

If we don't win game 4 we are screwed imo. I can't see us beating the Mavs 3 in a row. Not this Spurs team anyway.

florige
04-24-2009, 08:21 PM

You can sorta not do that when you have a Kobe Bryant on your team. :lol