picnroll
03-21-2005, 06:06 PM
Yeah find your balls Barry.

Ishta
03-21-2005, 06:11 PM
At least get up!!

whottt
03-21-2005, 07:37 PM
Even if he does step up(like he has other times), the next time he has a bad game everyone will bitch about him again.

Just stop acting like he can do something to get you to stop bitching...because he can't.

He's been tried, convicted, and sentenced in San Antonio.

The only new guys that SA likes are regular season wonders like Hedo who carry the POP seal of approval.

And don't give me excuses ducks...you started trashing Barry around the second or third game of the season.

boutons
03-21-2005, 08:02 PM
Replace "Barry" in Whott's screed with "Nazr", and you get ... same Whott screed! :lol

Solid D
03-21-2005, 08:04 PM
Whottt, do something, please!!! Barry is struggling tonight, so far.

picnroll
03-21-2005, 10:04 PM
Just when I think Barry can't get any worse he goes and surprises me. The hunt for Barry's balls and now his brains to be continued .....

baseline bum
03-21-2005, 10:05 PM
Barry could score in a game for one. Has he even hit a shot since OT in Phoenix?

ALVAREZ6
03-21-2005, 10:07 PM
Barry NEEDS to step up and show that he belongs with the Spurs before the play-offs start.

Tonight, he played 22 minutes, shot 0-5, and scored 0 points. Hell of a performance???

I wan't to see him become consistent and start giving Pop a reason to keep him in San Antonio for next season, and he better start before the postseason starts, so Pop won't hesitate to get his ass in the play-off games.

boutons
03-21-2005, 10:14 PM
Barry won't make the playoff roster. Glover would be more productive.

GrandeDavid
03-21-2005, 10:16 PM
Barry has no more skillz. Cut his ass.

Seriously, I haven`t been able to follow him that much while in Brazil, but now that I`m in San Antonio and have seen him live a couple of times...including tonight against the Knicks...somebody please shoot me.

SequSpur
03-21-2005, 10:19 PM
Is it Barry or the system? Hedo failed miserably. They only success was Jackson and Jackson who both could camp out and just jack up the three ball and drop them at will.

Barry and Hedo seem to have that tall, lankyness ball handling skills that usually look like a train wreck waiting to happen.

Is Jaren Jackson available?

Kori Ellis
03-21-2005, 10:23 PM
Barry has a great skillset. He's athletic, he can run the floor, pass, rebound, shoot. He's just not doing much of any of it (though he did grab seven rebounds with Duncan out) ... most importantly shooting. People can blame Barry's lack of production on a variety of things .. the system, the coaching, his teammates, etc. But there comes a time when he just needs to make an open shot .. and that's all on him.

Is Jaren Jackson available?

He's an assistant coach at Georgetown.

SequSpur
03-21-2005, 10:26 PM
Definitely.

But after 60 games, I start to look at the management level regarding a shitty employee that they keep giving life to.

T Park
03-21-2005, 10:26 PM
Is it Barry or the system?

Id say its Barry, seeing as the system, mr genius, has given barry about a thousand goddamn open shots.

But, its Pop's fault Barry misses shots.

BTW, Whott

Even if he does step up(like he has other times)

Other than against Phoenix, what other "times" would those be?

And, next time, dont act like such a bitch, hes playing bad you cop out with, well well even if he does play good one bad game youll rag on him.

horse shit. We rag on his ass cause he was brought to make open shots, hell, Id settle for ANY SHOT.

HE HASNT SCORED SINCE AGAINST THE DAMN BOBCATS!!!!!

Holycow come on.

SequSpur
03-21-2005, 10:29 PM
Tpark,

After Pop finishes blowing his wad in your face, why don't you wipe it off and open your eyes.

How many players does it take to make the world realize that Pop can't coach guards?

Dude has had luxuries of Duncan and Robinson his whole career.

Wake up.

ducks
03-21-2005, 11:02 PM
last two games barry has not scored a point
both games with manu back

kskonn
03-22-2005, 01:06 AM
Barry is one of the most experienced players on this team. Horry has begun to step up his play. Barry needs to start to help lead this team in Duncans absence and that needs to start on the court. I really hope he will.... or can. We have to have something good come out of this injury, Barrys emergence would be incredible and very needed.

Mr. Body
03-22-2005, 02:23 AM
Barry has been awful. Pop will keep playing him at least until the playoffs, in a desperate attempt for his signing to pay off.

We should have gotten Bob Sura.

texbumTHElife
03-22-2005, 03:52 AM
last two games barry has not scored a point
both games with manu back

Manu most assuradely is not "back". There is no question if Tim hadnt gotten hurt that Manu would be back to resting.

Gummi
03-22-2005, 08:02 AM
I'm almost loosing my faith in him, but I've decided that I'm not going to judge his performance until we either crash out of the playoffs or win the whole thing. Meaning, when the Spur season is over I'll praise him or rack him.

Remember, he could become hot in the playoffs and help us. I would rather have him hot in the playoffs then during the season.

picnroll
03-22-2005, 08:55 AM
If it's the system then why is Devin doing it? Inside and out. Both ends of the floor. How come he's not sucking too? Maybe it's that it takes a pair to play for a team where there are expectations and it's easier to play for a team where there are few expectations of you or the team.

ALVAREZ6
03-22-2005, 09:17 AM
Manu most assuradely is not "back". There is no question if Tim hadnt gotten hurt that Manu would be back to resting.
Manu came back to start the game when Duncan WASN'T hurt.

What are you trying to say?

samikeyp
03-22-2005, 09:20 AM
He's an assistant coach at Georgetown.

good..then he should be available! :)

Jimcs50
03-22-2005, 10:02 AM
Tpark,

After Pop finishes blowing his wad in your face, why don't you wipe it off and open your eyes.

How many players does it take to make the world realize that Pop can't coach guards?

Dude has had luxuries of Duncan and Robinson his whole career.

Wake up.

The Spurs have not beeen a guard oriented team since Ice and Johnny Moore were playing.

You play with your strengths. But, you are full of shit anyway, because Pop has developed our 2 starting guards, and turned them into great defensive players. He also made Johnson and DA better players. Stephen Jackson was a much better player under Pop's tutelage, but we did not resign him, that was not a coaching problem

toosmallshoes
03-23-2005, 04:29 AM
How do you measure mental toughness? There are people who perform the same no matter what is going on, like Stephen Jackson. There are people who elevate their game when it matters like Tim Duncan. There are people who play hard when everyone else is failing like Devin Brown. There are people who always seem to hold the ball when fate becomes reality like Steve Kerr.... and then there's Brent Barry.

Brent Barry. He does hit big shots. He's beaten the Spurs before. He beat the Suns (with Manu's help). But the Spurs need him to be the guy who needles away at the opponent, not the one who beats them at the end. It's more important for him to drill one out of every two and a quarter shots, than to be the buzzer beating hero.

Yea, Barry. You're a Spur. The Spurs are good. Get over it.

His jump shot brought him to San Antonio. It's death may drive him away.

whottt
03-23-2005, 05:13 AM
How do you measure mental toughness?Brent Barry. He does hit big shots. He's beaten the Spurs before.He beat the Suns (with Manu's help). But the Spurs need him to be the guy who needles away at the opponent, not the one who beats them at the end. It's more important for him to drill one out of every two and a quarter shots,than to be the buzzer beating hero.

ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=221124024)

November 11th, 2002

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- Down 18 points and staring at a fourth straight loss, the Seattle SuperSonics pulled out a tough road win over the San Antonio Spurs.

Brent Barry's second basket of the game, a 3-point shot with 4.7 seconds remaining, gave Seattle a 91-90 victory over San Antonio, which saw its four-game winning streak come to a halt.[/b]

Seattle, which trailed from the second quarter until Barry's shot, was led by Gary Payton's 26 points. Desmond Mason added 15, and Rashard Lewis had 13.

Looks like the Phoenix game to me...

But he's a worthless choker who can't handle pressure now...We've figured it out..

His line for the game:
2-8 FGA and 1-2 From 3 for a total of 5 points.

The dude is what he is...and it's not Vinnie Johnson. He's averaging about 10 points per game for his career and there is a reason for it. But please note his team came back from being down by 18 something points just like we did against NJ and Phoenix...

I don't think he just gets up and decides he is going to suck or not for that particular day, and he has been told by every one, including Pop, that he needs to step up since December...

He'll probably have a good game though...his season high came after our last two game losing streak, and after the other two game losing streak from this season he shot 1000% for the entire game...period.......But he's a choker....who sucks, who can't pass, who can't rebound(except for the 7 he pulled down)...

The simple fact is that Barry is Starbucks in a Folgers town...he prolly should have gone to the Heat or went to play for Phil Jackson or something.

I am ready for the Spurs to just end his, mine and their misery and just bench the guy because a dude that took a paycut and gave up starting to help this team win a title deserves better than the hate he has gotten.

whottt
03-23-2005, 05:39 AM
Tpark,

:rollin

How did I miss that one!

And, next time, dont act like such a bitch, hes playing bad you cop out with, well well even if he does play good one bad game youll rag on him.

Yet also originally posted by T Park:

35. We know barry can only make shots in total blowouts against the worst teams in the league.

And:

Good to see Barry can make worthless 3s in a worthless game.

I wonder where I got that impression from...

Keep on hatin' TPark...but please loose the excuses.

toosmallshoes
03-23-2005, 05:41 AM
One great game means nothing. five great games means a ton more. i saw three on your list. and if you put up some more great Barry moments, i'm sure anyone here could match those stats with terrible games he's played as a Spur.

yea. he was brought into a situation where a role player was expected to be a saviour. He's underplaying his role and definately not fullfilling expectations.

calm down. just because someone says Barry is underperforming doesn't mean that they think he sucks or that they think you're stupid. At least... that's not what I mean.

Man, I've been behind Barry hard from the beginning. I was one of his biggest supporters. I just think it's tough to support someone when the weight of that support keeps straining your muscles more and more and more and more....

He is good. He's not playing well. Maybe he needs to finally understand that this is not his team to make or break so he can relieve the weight of san antonio's expectations from his shoulders.

Or perhaps he should realise that he is breaking the team with his cowardice, punch the hardwood a couple of times, and play as he is capable of.

whottt
03-23-2005, 05:53 AM
Actually I didn't really think you were the one calling him a choker...but you did make a thought provoking post and I thought it was a pretty good example of what the Spurs fans(and the Spurs as well I think) want Barry to be....as opposed to what he actually is and what I envisioned him being...And sorry for not clarifying that my choker comments weren't directed at you(I have a bad habit about that but it is good for arguments :fro)...

As you say...he just needs to relax...and step up, and play defense, and turn into a scorer ala Devin, and adapt from a guard oriented transition team, to inside out big man oriented team....

Relax............and change.

It's not going to happen...at least not for any extended length of time. But what people have never realized is that the Spurs were looking to be one of the best teams in NBA history when Barry was coming off the bench and playing his game....not Devin Browns...We win when he does play his game whether his shot is falling or not...or at least our bench produces...it's no coincidence that our bench slump happened at the same time his slump occurred.

And I know everyone thinks he should just be able to hit open shots...but if it was that easy Vinny Del Negro and Avery Johnson would have about 2 more rings....and Smitty would be still be here.

But anyway that was a good post you made and it made me think about things in different terms.

johnny00
03-23-2005, 03:25 PM
Isn't Barry more of a transition/rhtymn shooter? At least thats how I remember him, the set shot gives him too much time to think, that shot should belong to Bowen. Part of the problem is that other guys don't know his game well enough to feed him the ball at the right time.

boutons
03-23-2005, 04:04 PM
Pop's Spurs aren't a transition-offense coach the way Sonics and Suns do: 0 or 1 pass in transtion, let fly with a jumper or 3G.

Rather than trying to score in transition, Spurs mostly just wait til the defense gets set and run half-court plays to score in the paint.

How fast would Pop jerk Brent or anybody if they set up in 3pt land in transition and took open 3G's, after 0 or 1 pass, the way Suns and Sonics do? That just isn't Pop's offensive priority.

And many times I've wanted Tony to bring the ball quickly across the court before the defense gets set and start probing and driving, but more often he just waits til the defense is set and runs a play.

If Brent really is primarily a transition scorer, he's really on the wrong team. Pop much prefers to run the 24-second clock to the max trying to get an inside score.

whottt
03-23-2005, 05:49 PM
If Brent really is primarily a transition scorer, he's really on the wrong team. Pop much prefers to run the 24-second clock to the max trying to get an inside score.

Yeah...Pop prefers to do that and choke 4th quarter leads with TO's and passing the momentum to the other team. I call that the make Phil Jackson love us offense.

So whose fault is it? Barry for wanting to come to a title contender or the Spurs for not realizing if a player would fit their team and what they wanted to use him for?

You know what's really funny...the Spurs wanted Jason Kidd, a guy who is totally a transition player...LMAO.

whottt
03-23-2005, 05:53 PM
And it's not just the threes...Barry is used to the defensive focus being on the perimeter players...he hasn't played with a MVP bigman...so in addition to not being used to just standing there and setting his feet at his leisure...he is used to quick passing and shooting...because they don't have a two time MVP drawing a double team and they aren't going to be open for long.

And I think Steve Kerr was used to the same thing(not the transition but the quick shooting where you are only open for a second) and it took him 5 years to turn into what the Spurs wanted....

But don't hate on the transition three totally...if you look back at the finals you will see Jackson break our offense at least once and hit one of those in the midst of our comeback...