PDA

View Full Version : TP interview: "Fight until the end"

kace
04-24-2009, 11:30 AM
http://www.tp9.net/en/itw.php?id=260

Tony, you’ve had a bad evening against Dallas…

This is a very tough loss. Dallas was just superior; they were hitting the mark and played with a lot of energy. It is that simple. We nurture some regrets to see that Pop (Gregg Popovich) had decided to rest the starting five within a few minutes into the third quarter. I know that we are playing at 3 on Saturday and that Pop was already looking forward to this game. I would have liked to try to come back a bit because in nineteen minutes you never know what might happen but I respect Pop’s decision and there are no problems.

Are you starting to worry ?

No, you can imagine that we are extremely disappointed but at the same time, we are realistic. Dallas played better than us and all we can do now is to come back string on Saturday by reproducing what we’ve done in Game 2. Of course, following such a tough loss we are asking ourselves some questions but on the other side we know we’ve beat them before and we can do it again.

Once again this will be done on defense.

We do not have the choice. Without defense we have no chance to beat them. Dallas is a better offensive team. They have more options than we do.

Since your arrival in 2001 in San Antonio, you’ve played for the title each season. When we take a look at the beginning of these playoffs we can say to ourselves that the golden era of the Spurs is nearing its end…

The series is not over but it is true we are nearing the end of a cycle with the current team but this is no reason for us to put the weapons down. We will continue to fight until the end and if we have to go down it will be with honor.

phxspurfan
04-24-2009, 11:34 AM
I like this very much.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Since your arrival in 2001 in San Antonio, you’ve played for the title each season. When we take a look at the beginning of these playoffs we can say to ourselves that the golden era of the Spurs is nearing its end…

The series is not over but it is true we are nearing the end of a cycle with the current team but this is no reason for us to put the weapons down. We will continue to fight until the end and if we have to go down it will be with honor.

I hope the Tony goes to management this offseason and asks them to blow up the team outside of the big 3 and Mason

MoSpur
04-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Very cool. Thanks for sharing. I like Tony's attitude.

Lebowski Brickowski
04-24-2009, 11:46 AM
TP sounds pretty fatalistic about this team in the long term and short term.

kace
04-24-2009, 11:46 AM
i find it interesting that tony didn't appreciate to be benched so soon with tim and other starters. not a big deal, but it's rather rare to see a player disagree publicly with a Pop's decision, even so diplomatically and quietly.

kace
04-24-2009, 11:48 AM
TP sounds pretty fatalistic about this team in the long term and short term.

i felt the same about this interview. Hope it's just a post game (even if the day after) reaction.

Chomag
04-24-2009, 11:48 AM

This is a very tough loss. Dallas was just superior; they were hitting the mark and played with a lot of energy. It is that simple. We nurture some regrets to see that Pop (Gregg Popovich) had decided to rest the starting five within a few minutes into the third quarter. I know that we are playing at 3 on Saturday and that Pop was already looking forward to this game. I would have liked to try to come back a bit because in nineteen minutes you never know what might happen but I respect Pop’s decision and there are no problems.

It's good to know that it's not just some fans questioning Pop's early flag waving. This erked me most of all becuase it's the playoffs where each game is important. It's not like it's a regular season game against the Nuggets.

It's "WIN OR GO HOME."

DPG21920
04-24-2009, 11:55 AM
It is sad that everyone realizes this, even the team. We all knew it was coming and this off season and the next will be supremely important. I remember an interview this last summer where TP said this was "the last season with this core".

We won't know what he meant by that until this off season.

Borosai
04-24-2009, 12:05 PM
This can only mean one thing: CHAMPIONSHIP!

hater
04-24-2009, 12:15 PM
Tony is a warrior and is got balls. unlike many in these internets

hater
04-24-2009, 12:16 PM
We do not have the choice. Without defense we have no chance to beat them. Dallas is a better offensive team. They have more options than we do.

thank you. Bowen starts. Hill gets more minutes.

and Fabricio Oberto gets some play time too.

urunobili
04-24-2009, 01:19 PM
TP is a playoff warrior... I got his back till the end... he already gave us three rings and more to come :tu

Thomas82
04-24-2009, 01:28 PM
I hope the Tony goes to management this offseason and asks them to blow up the team outside of the big 3 and Mason

I hope so too, but I would keep Gooden though.

BUMP
04-24-2009, 01:29 PM
If I were a Sprus fan this is not what I want to hear.

When you admit that the other team is better than you or that your championship cycle is coming to an end that is not good. I am a sport psychologist major and we study this stuff all the time. If the Mavs start off quick then there will be a seed of doubt planted in his mind that says "maybe we are done, maybe they are better than us." This is your team leader, and if he takes on that mentality you guys are done

xtremesteven33
04-24-2009, 01:31 PM
Finley: Gone
Bowen: Gone
Vaughn: Gone
Oberto: Gone

Lets hope so....

angel_luv
04-24-2009, 01:33 PM
We will continue to fight until the end and if we have to go down it will be with honor.

I don't want to go down-to the Mavericks of all people.

And no one was more apathetic about this year's playoffs than me.
Ask Bo.

If I can get with the program and be in it to win, so can the Spurs.

Go Spurs Go!

1Parker1
04-24-2009, 01:33 PM
If I were a Sprus fan this is not what I want to hear.

When you admit that the other team is better than you or that your championship cycle is coming to an end that is not good. I am a sport psychologist major and we study this stuff all the time. If the Mavs start off quick then there will be a seed of doubt planted in his mind that says "maybe we are done, maybe they are better than us." This is your team leader, and if he takes on that mentality you guys are done

:lmao Exactly where did he admit that the Mavs were a better team than the Spurs? He said they have more offensive weapons than the Spurs, which is basically a fact everyone knows...especially given that Ginobili is out. But he never said the Mavs are a better team. Only Mav fan would summarize what Parker said and jump from A to C. I guess that's what happens when their team is already planning the championship parade after 2 games in the 2006 NBA Finals :)

ducks
04-24-2009, 01:37 PM
We nurture some regrets to see that Pop (Gregg Popovich) had decided to rest the starting five within a few minutes into the third quarter. I know that we are playing at 3 on Saturday and that Pop was already looking forward to this game

tp believed they could come back

Morg1411
04-24-2009, 01:47 PM
Tony is a warrior and is got balls. unlike many in these internets

:toast

Morg1411
04-24-2009, 01:49 PM
I like this interview.

Fatalistic? Come on, they just got their asses handed to them on a platter with a side of pretzels....of course he's going to be fatalistic. I'd probably feel like stepping out in front of a truck.

The fact that he can be this candid about the loss speaks volumes about his character and that of the team.

Bukefal
04-24-2009, 02:01 PM

with the current team but this is no reason for us to put the weapons down. We will continue to fight until the end and if we have to go down it will be with honor.

Yeahh, that's a good atitude!! GO SPURS GO TONY, don't stop to fight, don't stop believing!!! :toast:toast:toast Bring it onnn Dallas! :ihit
:flag:

lefty
04-24-2009, 02:15 PM
The SPurs have a lot of character players

Spursmania
04-24-2009, 03:30 PM
The SPurs have a lot of character players

That's what impresses me most about the Spurs is their class and character.
:toast

thispego
04-24-2009, 03:46 PM
Dallas is a better offensive team. They have more options than we do.

that is fucking goddamn bullshit. what a fucking cop out.

SenorSpur
04-24-2009, 03:52 PM

These thinly-veiled comments are just the latest. Over the past couple of seasons, I've noticed that Tony, in that slightly blunt, yet innocent honest way of his, has made similarly-veiled comments about the team's lack of weapons, age, and old legs. Sometimes it's been in the sarcastic vein. Yet you can almost feel he yearns for a few better players around him. Perhaps, that's why he asked Pop for permission to sit in the Spurs war room during their last NBA draft. Or maybe he was their because he expected to welcome aboard his bud, Nicolas Batum.

DPG21920
04-24-2009, 03:53 PM
I just want to sleep and wake up tomorrow and it be game time.

iilluzioN
04-24-2009, 03:56 PM
that is fucking goddamn bullshit. what a fucking cop out.

Thats what I like about Tony, he says it how it is, and its TRUE.

thispego
04-24-2009, 03:59 PM
Thats what I like about Tony, he says it how it is, and its TRUE.

scoring is the easiest part of basketball. spurs have just as many guys who are capable of scoring as the mavs do.

iilluzioN
04-24-2009, 04:14 PM
scoring is the easiest part of basketball. spurs have just as many guys who are capable of scoring as the mavs do.

but the spurs really don't have to many weapons... I mean, besides Timmy and Tony, nobody right now can create there own shot, Mason is the only other option.

I guess we need to play Team basketball, perfect basketball IMO to go into the next ROUND :flag:

Hip_Hoop_Hooray
04-24-2009, 05:12 PM

Are you starting to worry ?

No, you can imagine that we are extremely disappointed but at the same time, we are realistic. Dallas played better than us and all we can do now is to come back string on Saturday by reproducing what we’ve done in Game 2. Of course, following such a tough loss we are asking ourselves some questions but on the other side we know we’ve beat them before and we can do it again.

Wow........everyone's farewell speech always sounds exactly the same.....

Borosai
04-24-2009, 05:29 PM
It's normal for players and even teams to have bad nights. Unfortunately, the Spurs cannot afford to do so: they owe me my fucking vbookie.

Ice009
04-24-2009, 11:27 PM
i find it interesting that tony didn't appreciate to be benched so soon with tim and other starters. not a big deal, but it's rather rare to see a player disagree publicly with a Pop's decision, even so diplomatically and quietly.

Tony just said what almost all of us here at Spurstalk have been saying.

That's not really a good thing for Pop when your players disagree with what the coach is doing. I think if you asked Tony about Bruce he would also tell you that Bruce should be starting.

It's tough to second guess the coach and I never wanted to do this. It's hard to say who should and shouldn't play.

Ice009
04-24-2009, 11:32 PM
:lmao Exactly where did he admit that the Mavs were a better team than the Spurs? He said they have more offensive weapons than the Spurs, which is basically a fact everyone knows...especially given that Ginobili is out. But he never said the Mavs are a better team. Only Mav fan would summarize what Parker said and jump from A to C. I guess that's what happens when their team is already planning the championship parade after 2 games in the 2006 NBA Finals :)

To add on top of that everyone knew that the Phoenix Suns had more offensive options than the Spurs and how did some of those series turn out??????

Mavs fans have no clue what is going on. Spurs win with defense and that is all Tony was saying. No way is Parker saying the Mavs are a better team.

15 RINGS BITCH
04-25-2009, 12:45 AM
at least he seems resigned to the fact that if they go down, they go down trying.

he seems to have accepted the teams fate against dallas.

it suggests that he does not have a lot of faith that they can survive the mavs.

way to go you warrior!!!

LEONARD
04-25-2009, 10:41 AM
I want to make sweet French love to Tony...

Flux451
04-25-2009, 11:10 AM
Tony the Samurai!

Ice009
04-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Where are you guys getting he is quitting???

I think you're reading into his comments wrong.

ducks
04-25-2009, 04:34 PM
he is not quiting

DAF86
04-25-2009, 04:36 PM
I want to make sweet French love to Tony...

Don't worry, He's making sweet French love to every Mavs fans right now.

LEONARD
04-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Don't worry, He's making sweet French love to every Mavs fans right now.

Basketball is a team sport, and the team is horrible outside of TP and TD...

mrs.purss
04-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Hard to think Tony saying. They have more weapons then us. I wonder how long he has been thinking that?

LEONARD
04-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Hard to think Tony saying. They have more weapons then us. I wonder how long he has been thinking that?

English translation please??