PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Popovich: Don't blame Duncan

Spurs Brazil
04-24-2009, 09:47 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Popovich_Dont_blame_Duncan.html

By Jeff McDonald - Express-News DALLAS — Tim Duncan stood up in the Spurs' locker room Thursday after their 88-67 loss in Game 3 against the Mavericks and did what team captains are supposed to do.

He took the blame.

A day later, coach Gregg Popovich absolved Duncan of it.

“It wasn't his fault — it was my fault,” Popovich said Friday. “It's nobody's fault, really. We win together, we lose together and we move on.”

Duncan notched career playoff lows with four points and two rebounds in Game 3, but that was partially related to the other career playoff low he set — minutes played (15:30).

He sat for most of the second half as the game got out of hand so Popovich could rest him for an early tipoff in Game 4 this afternoon.

Duncan wasn't effective when he was on the court, going 2 of 9 from the field and missing several chip shots that sparked Dallas' fast-break offense.

“I played an awful, awful game, and I want to try to do better the next one,” Duncan said. “I'll use it as my own fuel and hopefully come out here and be a leader.”

Popovich said he appreciated what Duncan was trying to do, but refused to let him shoulder the blame.

“He's a competitor; he has broad shoulders,” Popovich said. “But we lost that game as a group. We did not play well. It wasn't on Timmy.”

Calculated decision: Popovich emptied his bench early in the third quarter of Game 3, hoping to save his starters' energy for Game 4. He hopes that decision pays off in the form of fresh legs today.

“We pulled the plug for that purpose,” Popovich said. “I think you have to be wise, rather than foolishly brave.”

Dallas coach Rick Carlisle said he didn't think the relatively quick turnaround benefited one team more than the other.

“Neither team had any starters play about 30 minutes,” he said. “Look, Duncan played 15 minutes. That's almost like going to a shootaround. That's nothing to him.”

Fearless, at any size: After Mavericks guard J.J. Barea, generously listed at 6-feet tall, had another solid outing in Game 3, 7-footer Dirk Nowitzki was asked the secret to Barea's success.

“I've always described him as fearless,” Nowitzki said. “He's not afraid to get in there. He's a little guard, but he's really aggressive getting into the paint. He can finish in the paint, even though he's only 5-foot-6, or whatever.”

Barea has heard plenty of short jokes most of his playing career, so he laughed off Nowitzki's shortchanging his stature.

“I'm a little bit taller than that,” Barea said.

Barea, who started Game 3 in place of the 6-foot-7 Antoine Wright, had 13 points and seven assists, with two of his handouts going to Nowitzki.

Still Finley, for now: Spurs guard Michael Finley entered the series clinging to a slim lead atop the Mavs' all-time postseason 3-point charts. Nowitzki needed four to break Finley's franchise mark of 109, and still does.

Nowitzki is 0 for 7 from 3-point range so far this series.

Sixth Man Winner: Mavericks guard Jason Terry was handed the Sixth Man Award Trophy in a ceremony at the American Airlines Center.

Terry, who averaged 19.6 points while coming mostly from the bench, succeeded Spurs guard Manu Ginobili as the Sixth Man Award winner.

Staff writer Mike Monroe

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-24-2009, 09:50 PM
“It wasn't his fault — it was my fault,” Popovich said Friday. “It's nobody's fault, really. We win together, we lose together and we move on.”

A lot of posters around here could learn something from that.

SA210
04-24-2009, 09:51 PM
it was my fault,” Popovich said Friday.

:tu

Mal
04-24-2009, 09:54 PM
No whining about lose. They say what a men should say.

Great to hear that there is still a fight spirit in this team

loveforthegame
04-24-2009, 11:29 PM
We win together, we lose together and we move on.”

Pop clearly refuses to blame Finley for all our losses.

RsxPiimp
04-24-2009, 11:30 PM
i love pops

ducks
04-24-2009, 11:31 PM

are we in school or something?:lol

TDMVPDPOY
04-25-2009, 12:48 AM
its a cover up, cia pop at work yo....

sabar
04-25-2009, 01:33 AM

No doubt

Josepatches_
04-25-2009, 09:32 AM
“I played an awful, awful game, and I want to try to do better the next one,” Duncan said. “I'll use it as my own fuel and hopefully come out here and be a leader.”

That's what we need to win.

vander
04-25-2009, 10:49 AM

It's just a catchy phrase, there's little truth to it.
while game 3 may have been an epic "Team loss", in game 2, TP could have won with just about any assortment of NBA players around him, that was a "player win" and most games in the NBA are won with 1 or 2 players carying the team
and not only that, but players don't all have a bad game or good game at the same time. In any win or loss, some players are going to pull thier weight, Play to thier ability/salary, and others aren't; and each player's impact on the game is not the same
TD effects the game more then any other 2, even 3, players not named Tony Parker. TD gets paid half as much as everyone else on the team combined! for a reason! we can't survive having 1/3 of our team play terrible. Duncan needs to step up, or admit the injury is to detrimental and shut it down (IMO he should have shut it down when he got the diagnosis)