PDA

View Full Version : U.S. plans to accept several Chinese Muslims from Guantanamo

PEP
04-24-2009, 10:06 PM
What could possibly go wrong? I think some on this forum could even pose a nice gesture and let them stay with them until they can get on their feet.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-gitmo-release24-2009apr24,0,7979465.story?track=rss

Reporting from Washington -- The Obama administration is preparing to admit into the United States as many as seven Chinese Muslims who have been imprisoned at Guantanamo Bay in the first release of any of the detainees into this country, according to current and former U.S. officials.

Their release is seen as a crucial step to plans, announced by President Obama during his first week in office, to close the prison and relocate the detainees. Administration officials also believe that settling some of them in American communities will set an example, helping to persuade other nations to accept Guantanamo detainees too.

The Uighurs were sent to Guantanamo in 2002 after being captured in Pakistan. Before that, they had gravitated to Afghanistan, where they received firearms training at a camp apparently run by a Uighur separatist.

Some former U.S. officials have said government information indicates that the Uighurs may pose a danger if released. But other officials and human rights organizations insist they pose no threat to Americans.

Within the prison, Uighurs are not considered a grave threat and are allowed greater freedom, such as television privileges, than other detainees.

But the TV privileges underscored potential difficulties to come, according to one current and one former U.S. official. Not long after being granted access to TV, some of the Uighurs were watching a soccer game. When a woman with bare arms was shown on the screen, one of the group grabbed the television and threw it to the ground, according to the officials.

Willett, the detainees' attorney, said that of the five former Uighur prisoners released to Albania, four are still there and one has moved to Sweden.

"They have been living peacefully for three years," Willett said.

ChumpDumper
04-24-2009, 10:12 PM
So what do you say will happen?

Bender
04-24-2009, 10:25 PM
But the TV privileges underscored potential difficulties to come, according to one current and one former U.S. official. Not long after being granted access to TV, some of the Uighurs were watching a soccer game. When a woman with bare arms was shown on the screen, one of the group grabbed the television and threw it to the ground, according to the officials.
just what we need, more fucking wackjobs.

Yonivore
04-24-2009, 10:30 PM
just what we need, more fucking wackjobs.
Whackjobs with terrorist training...

ChumpDumper
04-24-2009, 10:39 PM
So what do you say will happen if they live in the US?

Bender
04-24-2009, 10:43 PM
maybe they will go on a killing spree if they see a woman in a bikini

ChumpDumper
04-24-2009, 10:46 PM
Like that one in Sweden did, right?

ElNono
04-24-2009, 11:31 PM
We talked about this a long time ago. The Uighurs's enemy is not the USA, but the communist government of China. As a matter of fact, we've already released a bunch of these guys to other countries, without incident.
Basically, the issue with these guys is that we can't release them to China because they would basically be killed on the spot. Other countries won't take them because they don't want to strain relationships with China.
This specific case was one of the very first reviewed by a judge, after the habeas corpus resolution came about, and the judge determined that the US govt had absolutely no evidence whatsoever to imprison these people. He actually requested an expedited release because they've been unjustly imprisoned for many years.

ChumpDumper
04-25-2009, 12:13 AM
Board Republicans want to appease the communist government of China.

Marcus Bryant
04-25-2009, 12:51 AM
Well, the commies are bankrolling us at the moment.

Jacob1983
04-25-2009, 03:04 AM
What is the over/under on how long these guys will will commit terrorist acts again? I'm gonna say 6 months. And if these guys are gonna be freed, why not send them back to China and let that Communist country deal with them?

Winehole23
04-25-2009, 03:45 AM
What is the over/under on how long these guys will will commit terrorist acts again? I'm gonna say 6 months. And if these guys are gonna be freed, why not send them back to China and let that Communist country deal with them?They'd rather be here. American churches have offered to take them in, why not let them?

It's already been determined they're not a threat to the US, by our own gov't. Why not let them live here? Their beef is with the Han Chinese.

PEP
04-25-2009, 09:42 AM

Would you be willing to let one of them move in next door to find out or as long as they dont live near you its alright?

RandomGuy
04-25-2009, 11:12 AM

Would you be willing to let one of them move in next door to find out or as long as they dont live near you its alright?

If I had a spare room, I would be perfectly comfortable letting one stay in my house.

Banks91
04-25-2009, 11:15 AM

so they are guilty even if they are innocent?

So if a person got falsely imprisoned because a woman said he raped her and he didn't, or was falsely accused of being a child molester, and it was proven that they were innocent, you'd still want them out of your neighbourhood.

Yonivore
04-25-2009, 12:13 PM
so they are guilty even if they are innocent?

So if a person got falsely imprisoned because a woman said he raped her and he didn't, or was falsely accused of being a child molester, and it was proven that they were innocent, you'd still want them out of your neighbourhood.
No one is claiming these guys are innocent.

They were captured after having attended terrorist training. I don't think even they deny this.

It's just that this stupid president we've elected wants other countries to take prisoners from Guantanamo Bay so he can try to keep at least one campaign promise -- closing the effective detention facility -- and, so, he's trying to show we're willing to rehabilitate some ourselves.

It demonstrates his basic misunderstanding of Islamic extremists.

ChumpDumper
04-25-2009, 02:16 PM

Would you be willing to let one of them move in next door to find out or as long as they dont live near you its alright?I'm fine with one of them living next door.

They were captured after having attended terrorist training. I don't think even they deny this.Eh, we let hundred if not thousands from Cuba and Nicaragua and El Salvador and Iran that fit that definition.

It's just that this stupid president we've elected wants other countries to take prisoners from Guantanamo Bay so he can try to keep at least one campaign promise -- closing the effective detention facility -- and, so, he's trying to show we're willing to rehabilitate some ourselves.

It demonstrates his basic misunderstanding of Islamic extremists.These guys were determined by the Bush administration to be no threat to the United States. You have demonstrated a fundamental stupidity regarding the facts here.

ChumpDumper
04-25-2009, 02:17 PM
What is the over/under on how long these guys will will commit terrorist acts again?Tell me what terrorist acts they committed in the first place.
I'm gonna say 6 months. And if these guys are gonna be freed, why not send them back to China and let that Communist country deal with them?Why do you hate freedom and love appeasing communist dictatorships?

clambake
04-25-2009, 02:18 PM
i don't know about you guys, but i love authentic chinese food.

give them a store front.

LnGrrrR
04-27-2009, 09:42 AM
What is the over/under on how long these guys will will commit terrorist acts again? I'm gonna say 6 months. And if these guys are gonna be freed, why not send them back to China and let that Communist country deal with them?

I'll take the over on never.

ElNono
04-27-2009, 10:00 AM

A federal judge did make that claim.

RandomGuy
04-28-2009, 07:31 AM

The Bush administration made that claim, actually. They determined that they were mistakenly picked up in a sweep.

RandomGuy
04-28-2009, 07:33 AM
Report: U.S. Soldiers Did 'Dirty Work' for Chinese Interrogators (http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Story?id=4894921)

U.S. military personnel at Guantanamo Bay allegedly softened up detainees at the request of Chinese intelligence officials who had come to the island facility to interrogate the men -- or they allowed the Chinese to dole out the treatment themselves, according to claims in a new government report.

Buried in a Department of Justice report released Tuesday are new allegations about a 2002 arrangement between the United States and China, which allowed Chinese intelligence to visit Guantanamo and interrogate Chinese Uighurs held there.

RandomGuy
04-28-2009, 07:36 AM
Nov 4, 2004

China's Uighurs trapped at Guantanamo (http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/FK04Ad02.html)

The Pentagon wants to release more than 12 of some two dozen Uighur detainees imprisoned at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, but Washington for strategic and political reasons will not return the detainees, captured in Afghanistan, to China, which considers them terrorists and Xinjiang separatists. China would be expected to deal with them harshly. Since other countries, concerned about their own diplomatic relations with China, are unwilling to accept the detainees, the United States faces a serious threat to its diplomatic relationship with China if it grants the detainees asylum in the US.

RandomGuy
04-28-2009, 07:45 AM
http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article21336.htm

Wrong Place, Wrong Time

So how did Uighurs get to Guantánamo?

Fleeing Chinese oppression, many Uighurs found their way to Afghanistan where they were living in a self-contained camp when the US attacked in October 2001. They were captured in the wake of the fighting, many of them by Pakistani bounty hunters who proceeded to sell them to US forces.

Twenty-two Uighurs ended up in Guantánamo, joining others with the undeserved Rumsfeldian sobriquet "the worst of the worst." After "interviewing" them extensively by late 2003, US interrogators had concluded that few, if any, were a threat.

Under international law, the only country required to accept displaced persons is their country of origin. But China had been making a practice of incarcerating Uighurs with little if any proof of any involvement in violent acts. The Uighurs in Guantánamo did not want to trade one prison for another.

No third country, however, would accept them – except Albania, which welcomed five in 2006

Wild Cobra
04-28-2009, 08:41 AM
A federal judge did make that claim.
Really? It's a rare thing for a ruling to be innocent. Even though the idea of this nation is innocent until found guilty, rulings are most often guilty or not guilty. An actual innocent ruling is rather rare.

Homeland Security
04-28-2009, 08:47 AM
If I had a spare room, I would be perfectly comfortable letting one stay in my house.
Well duh, you're a liberal. You hate America and love terrorists.

ElNono
04-28-2009, 08:55 AM
Really? It's a rare thing for a ruling to be innocent. Even though the idea of this nation is innocent until found guilty, rulings are most often guilty or not guilty. An actual innocent ruling is rather rare.

First of all, did I say the judge ruled them innocent? No, I said a judge claimed they're innocent.
And you're well aware of this judge's ruling, as I pasted it in these very forums a long while ago, and we've discussed it.

hope4dopes
04-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Send them back to China, what China does to them is China's bussiness.I can see no possible advantage to me to have them here.why take up good farm land housing their asses.

ChumpDumper
04-28-2009, 02:31 PM
Send them back to China, what China does to them is China's bussiness.I can see no possible advantage to me to have them here.why take up good farm land housing their asses.Why do you support communist oppression?

Crookshanks
04-28-2009, 02:40 PM
If they're Chinese terrorists, then let China deal with them. I'm certainly no fan of the repressive government in China, but do we really want to take a chance on pissing them off when they own such a massive amount of our debt?

ChumpDumper
04-28-2009, 02:44 PM
If they're Chinese terrorists, then let China deal with them. I'm certainly no fan of the repressive government in ChinaYour call to send them back to Chinese repression makes you a fan of Chinese repression.
but do we really want to take a chance on pissing them off when they own such a massive amount of our debt?Man, board Republicans are ready to abandon their claimed principles at the drop of a hat these days, aren't they?

You didn't notice of course, but we already made a little quid pro quo with China to satisfy them.

Winehole23
04-28-2009, 03:01 PM
Your call to send them back to Chinese repression makes you a fan of Chinese repression.Man, board Republicans are ready to abandon their claimed principles at the drop of a hat these days, aren't they?Terror turns values voters into champions of situational ethics.

You didn't notice of course, but we already took made a little quid pro quo with China to satisfy them.You mean letting the Chinese interrogate the Uighurs at Gitmo? I wonder how that was a good idea. Maybe Crookshanks can tell us.

PEP
05-31-2009, 01:50 PM
Change of plans folks:

May 30, 2009 8:09 PM

The Obama administration asked the U.S. Supreme Court Friday to reject a request for a hearing from 17 Chinese Muslims currently being held at Guantanamo Bay Naval Base, arguing they have no right to come to America despite a district judge's orders last Fall that they immediately be brought to the U.S. and released.

"Petitioners are free to return to their home country, but they understandably do not wish to do so, because they fear inhumane treatment there," reads the filing, signed by US Solicitor General Elena Kagan, Assistant Attorney General Tony West, and other Justice Department officials. "Petitioners are also free to go to any other country that is willing to accept them."

Many European countries are waiting for the US to accept the Uighurs before they agree to accept any more detainees from Guantanamo, but there is strong resistance from Congress, which recently voted to keep any detainees out of the US -- even out of US prisons.

But not to worry -- the Obama administration says the Uighurs' detention isn't so bad, considering.

"In contrast to individuals currently detained as enemies under the laws of war, petitioners are being housed under relatively unrestrictive conditions, given the status of Guantanamo Bay as a United States military base," Kagan writes, saying they are "in special communal housing with access to all areas of their camp, including an outdoor recreation space and picnic area." They "sleep in an air-conditioned bunk house and have the use of an activity room equipped with various recreational items, including a television with VCR and DVD players, a stereo system, and sports equipment."

On October 7, 2008, the D.C. District Court Judge Ricardo Urbina ordered that all 17 Uighurs be released into the United States by Friday, October 10.

The Bush administration appealed the case to the DC Circuit Court which on February 18, 2009, reversed the lower court's decision.

On April 3, 2009, the Uighurs asked the US Supreme Court to hear their case.

The Obama administration on Friday urged the Supreme Court to not hear the case of the Uighurs, and to uphold the appellate court ruling.

I think they should let them in the US and live next to humpdump since he doesnt seem to concerned about it and if they happen to go psycho and go jihadi on his butt it wont be a big loss.

ChumpDumper
05-31-2009, 01:58 PM
If they are anything like the Uighurs who have already been released, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I didn't know so many posters here supported Chinese communist suppression.

Yonivore
05-31-2009, 02:14 PM
If they are anything like the Uighurs who have already been released, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I didn't know so many posters here supported Chinese communist suppression.
We're just opposed to terrorists trained by al Qaeda.

ChumpDumper
05-31-2009, 02:18 PM
You are in favor of Chinese communist suppression too.

That is quite possible for hypocrites.

Yonivore
05-31-2009, 02:23 PM
You are in favor of Chinese communist suppression too.

That is quite possible for hypocrites.
I'm in favor of not having al Qaeda trained terrorists of any color running loose in this country. Particular when it seems they'll be living on my dime.

ChumpDumper
05-31-2009, 02:25 PM
I'm in favor of not having al Qaeda trained terrorists of any color running loose in this country. Particular when it seems they'll be living on my dime.Because you favor Chinese communist suppression, we get it.

Yonivore
05-31-2009, 02:27 PM
Because you favor Chinese communist suppression, we get it.
No, because there's no guarantee they won't ply their trade here.

boutons_deux
05-31-2009, 03:41 PM
America looks stupid and scared trying fob these unconvicted guys off on other countries, when America itself doesn't have the balls to take them in.

The wrongies here talk like these guys are kryptonite to America's super-hero status.

16K Americans are murdered every year by ... Americans, mostly white-on-white, and black-on-black.

FBI couldn't keep an eye on these guys?

Shows stupid dubya was to round these guys up. Now we own them, and don't want them, and they aren't sellable.

ChumpDumper
05-31-2009, 04:15 PM
No, because there's no guarantee they won't ply their trade here.I guarantee they won't revolt against communist Chinese oppressors here.

MannyIsGod
05-31-2009, 04:24 PM
:lmao

Marcus Bryant
05-31-2009, 04:27 PM
Oh shit, we got some darkies running 'round.