PDA

View Full Version : Splitter: The Difference (TrueHoop)

Yogi
04-24-2009, 10:30 PM
Splitter: The Difference
April 23, 2009 5:12 PM

If you're a Spurs fan, then you know your team will soon need some fresh talent. And if you're a pretty serious Spurs fan, then you'll know that your team has the rights to talented Brazilian big man Tiago Splitter. If you're even more serious though, you'll know that Splitter has a big deal with Spain's Tau Ceramica, and as the Spurs can only pay him rookie scale, Splitter may have a hard time affording a transition to the NBA.

Hence, the conundrum.

However, if you're a really really really serious Spurs fan, like Timothy Varner of 48 Minutes of Hell, then you may something that most people don't know. (I bet some NBA agents and front office people don't know this.)

There's a provision in the Collective Bargaining Agreement that lets a team pay an imported player more than rookie scale if he has been drafted and playing professionally outside the NBA for at least three years.

Which would seem to imply that in the summer of 2010, the Spurs will be able to pay Splitter something approximating a market-value contract, assuming they have room under the cap. (At the moment, beyond 2010 the team only has contracts with Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, to go with team options on George Hill and Ian Mahinmi.)

Here's the provision of the CBA:

Section 2. Rookie Contracts for Later-Signed First Round Picks.
Except as provided in Section 3 below, a First Round Pick who does not sign with the Team that holds his draft rights for any portion of the three (3) Seasons following the NBA Draft in which he was selected (and who did not play intercollegiate basketball during such period) may enter into either (a) a Rookie Scale Contract in accordance with Section 1 above, or (b) if the Team has Room in excess of the applicable first-year Rookie Scale Amount, a Contract covering no fewer than three (3) Seasons that provides for Salary plus Unlikely Bonuses in the first Salary Cap Year up to the amount of the Team's Room and increases or decreases in Salary and Unlikely Bonuses in subsequent Salary Cap Years in accordance with Article VII, Section 5(c)(1).

Read Varner's entire post, where he further points out that Splitter's Spanish club has lost its sponsorship, which would seem to increase the chances that an infusion of cash, coupled with a cutting of payroll, might appeal.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-39-124/Splitter--The-Difference.html

Bender
04-24-2009, 10:33 PM
didn't we just have a big discussion about this very thing...

Spursmania
04-24-2009, 10:38 PM
I think I recall it as well. I hope Spurs' FO can make this happen.

timvp
04-24-2009, 10:40 PM
didn't we just have a big discussion about this very thing...

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123818

I personally think it would have been appropriate for TrueHoop to source Bruno for finding the information. That's a pretty huge find to go unsourced in that article. Don't have to mention ST but at least a hat tip to Bruno would have been nice :td

rayray2k8
04-24-2009, 10:41 PM
Yeah, even timvp didnt know about this.
Looks Parker might get some help in the future.
Gist, Ian, Hill, Splitter, Mason.
That sounds like a roster to me.
By 2010, I expect manu to be bald or join the men's hair club. :lol

Kori Ellis
04-24-2009, 10:43 PM

I personally think it would have been appropriate for TrueHoop to source Bruno for finding the information. That's a pretty huge find to go unsourced in that article. Don't have to mention ST but at least a hat tip to Bruno would have been nice :td

Yeah I agree. Tim (48MOH) is a good guy. If he could get Henry to edit that post that would be great. I know Bruno really doesn't want extra recognition or anything, but it's just a courtesy.

DAF86
04-24-2009, 10:45 PM
Yeah, even timvp didnt know about this.
Looks Parker might get some help in the future.
Gist, Ian, Hill, Splitter, Mason.
That sounds like a roster to me.
By 2010, I expect manu to be bald or join the men's hair club. :lol

Manu will be rocking the Zinedine Zidane look in 2010

rayray2k8

Is that where they got their source from???

Mel_13
Yeah I agree. Tim is a good guy. If he could edit that post that would be great. I'm positive that he didn't know that until he read Bruno's post. I know Bruno really doesn't want extra recognition or anything, but it's just a courtesy.

To be fair, Varner specifically cites Bruno as his source on his blog, which is part of the Truehoop network. Abbott links to Varner's article and recommends reading the whole thing

Kori Ellis
04-24-2009, 10:46 PM
To be fair, Varner specifically cites Bruno as his source on his blog, which is part of the Truehoop network. Abbott links to Varner's article and recommends reading the whole thing

Yeah I just edited my post to indicate that.

Darthkiller
04-24-2009, 10:48 PM
how old is splitter now

Mel_13
04-24-2009, 10:49 PM
how old is splitter now

dob: 1/1/85

DAF86
04-24-2009, 10:51 PM
how old is splitter now

Doesn't That Photo in your sig go a little bit lower? :D

timvp
04-24-2009, 11:18 PM
To be fair, Varner specifically cites Bruno as his source on his blog, which is part of the Truehoop network. Abbott links to Varner's article and recommends reading the whole thingVarner didn't do anything wrong. He sourced Bruno twice and even went the extra mile to get it confirmed. Very good and useful article :tu

I just think that if TrueHoop is going to write an article about an article, the original source deserves at least a a one-word mention. This was a huge revelation that no one had ever noticed. There's been dozens of articles about Splitter over the years and no one has ever mentioned this loophole. Even when the Spurs have talked about the Splitter situation they have never mentioned it.

I doubt Bruno cares about the attribution being lost at some point along the line but this was great info from a great poster -- so I'm willing to go to bat for him whether he wants it or not :)

Blackjack
04-25-2009, 12:57 AM
Varner didn't do anything wrong. He sourced Bruno twice and even went the extra mile to get it confirmed. Very good and useful article :tu

I just think that if TrueHoop is going to write an article about an article, the original source deserves at least a a one-word mention. This was a huge revelation that no one had ever noticed. There's been dozens of articles about Splitter over the years and no one has ever mentioned this loophole. Even when the Spurs have talked about the Splitter situation they have never mentioned it.

I doubt Bruno cares about the attribution being lost at some point along the line but this was great info from a great poster -- so I'm willing to go to bat for him whether he wants it or not :)

+1

Bruno:toast

FTW:lol

And yeah, I've yet to hear anyone in the Spurs' organization even hint to this being a possibility, so hopefully someone in the local media can pose this as a question.

I'd be interested in seeing/hearing the response, if nothing else.

timvp
04-25-2009, 01:03 AM
I'd be interested in seeing/hearing the response, if nothing else.

If they interview RC and his reaction is ":wow" ... then they should look into bringing Bruno on board full-time. :lol

Indazone
04-25-2009, 01:30 AM
but but but...Bouroussis will be Spurs Savior :lol

All this could have been avoided, if you hadn't traded Scola away. But since you did, Splitter was supposed to come over and be the next great big for the Spurs. He can now come over for the same price as Scola provided your front office is willing to pay such a big fee for someone to come over and play with Duncan. Based on past history, I wouldn't hold my breathe.

Oh by the way, this is now and inexorably.....now a

SCOLA THREAD! lol

Blackjack
04-25-2009, 01:31 AM
If they interview RC and his reaction is ":wow" ... then they should look into bringing Bruno on board full-time. :lol

Look into?

I'm thinking a petition is in order.:smokin

tomtom
04-25-2009, 01:45 AM
Hmm very intriguing spurs would be set with some great young prospects if he can come, imagine gist, mahinmi, hill, splitter, hairston? at least the youth movement has finally arrived

wisnub
04-25-2009, 02:05 AM
I like Spliter..he might be our next fundamental...but every time a great deal come spurs way..ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. Even Gist end up in Europe....and Magette choose to keep loosing with GS....I think in Spurs world..WHEN YOU WANT SOMETHING BIG FOR TRADE OR DRAFT TO HAPPEN, ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN

Kori Ellis
04-25-2009, 02:06 AM

All this could have been avoided, if you hadn't traded Scola away. But since you did, Splitter was supposed to come over and be the next great big for the Spurs. He can now come over for the same price as Scola provided your front office is willing to pay such a big fee for someone to come over and play with Duncan. Based on past history, I wouldn't hold my breathe.

SCOLA THREAD! lol

The Spurs paid Scola's money to Bonner. It's not like they weren't willing to pay someone. That someone just wasn't Scola :lol

Bruno
04-25-2009, 02:40 AM
Thanks to everybody. :toast

To me, one thing I really like in ST is that it's a great source of infos. I'm convinced that ST is the greatest "database" about Spurs on the www. The reason, why there are so much infos, is because there are lot of people who feeds it.
Every time duncan228 posts an article, every time timvp, FromWayDowntown or another knowledgable BB poster highlight something has happened in a game, every time there is an informative post here, it makes ST "database" better and bigger. As a poster, I try to bring a little stone to the edifice
It's also damn nice that ST owners are Spurs fans and not a company, whose only goal is to make money. I find it unreal that Kori and LJ aren't even trying to cover the money they spend in ST. Big props to them and the Slovenian mafia.

If I've typed that, it isn't to do some asskissing. If someone has to be given as a source on TrueHoop, it's not me but SpursTalk. Personally, I'm not that upset by TrueHoop only linking 48MOH. It would have been nicer if the ST thread was linked but it's not like they have acted like the info comes from them.

And Tim Varner is a great guy. We exchange some mails about Spurs and he is always as nice as you can be.

honestfool84
04-25-2009, 02:50 AM
Thanks to everybody. :toast

To me, one thing I really like in ST is that it's a great source of infos. I'm convinced that ST is the greatest "database" about Spurs on the www. The reason, why there are so much infos, is because there are lot of people who feeds it.
Every time duncan228 posts an article, every time timvp, FromWayDowntown or another knowledgable BB poster highlight something has happened in a game, every time there is an informative post here, it makes ST "database" better and bigger. As a poster, I try to bring a little stone to the edifice
It's also damn nice that ST owners are Spurs fans and not a company, whose only goal is to make money. I find it unreal that Kori and LJ aren't even trying to cover the money they spend in ST. Big props to them and the Slovenian mafia.

If I've typed that, it isn't to do some asskissing. If someone has to be given as a source on TrueHoop, it's not me but SpursTalk. Personally, I'm not that upset by TrueHoop only linking 48MOH. It would have been nicer if the ST thread was linked but it's not like they have acted like the info comes from them.

And Tim Varner is a great guy. We exchange some mails about Spurs and he is always as nice as you can be.

i DON'T mean this to be rude, really..

but i always had the impression that you were born in 1992.

was that in your signature or something once?

i feel :depressed asking this. lol. :/

Dingle Barry
04-25-2009, 02:51 AM
Shit. I hadn't heard about this. Way to fucking go Bruno!

YODA
04-25-2009, 02:54 AM
Props to Bruno

Bruno
04-25-2009, 03:01 AM
i DON'T mean this to be rude, really..

but i always had the impression that you were born in 1992.

was that in your signature or something once?

i feel :depressed asking this. lol. :/

Well, I would like to be that young. :depressed

kace
04-25-2009, 04:07 AM
yeah, i saw it on ESPN testerday and also saw that Bruno was credited for the info.
Nice work. :toast

anyway, didn't they change something by adding this :

There is an interesting thread at SpursTalk (thanks to 48MoH reader Will for bringing it to my attention) that reacts to recent news that Baskonia will no longer be sponsored by TAU

A board member named Bruno, a SpursTalk regular and trusted friend of this writer, cites section Article VIII, Section 2 of the CBA and notes that the Spurs are capable of signing Splitter for an amount greater than the rookie scale beginning next summer (2010). The section in question reads:

will_spurs
04-25-2009, 07:38 AM
The way it's gone as far as I can tell is that I read it here (Bruno's post) and forwarded it to Tim from 48MoH (as mentioned in the blog post) who double-checked with Bruno (again as mentioned on the blog) and then double-checked again with the CBA experts at ESPN... who confirmed and decided to run a story on it... citing their source, in this case Tim.

Thanks to Bruno for the find!

stéphane
04-25-2009, 07:40 AM

Exactly my thoughts.

stéphane
04-25-2009, 07:49 AM
Well, I would like to be that young. :depressed

THAT young are you sure Bruno? :lol
On a serious note, lots of people feel the same way that you do about ST and I'll use this thread to thank you for your "little stone". The enlighments you're always quick to provide about salary caps and things like that are always more than usefull.

Marcus Bryant
04-25-2009, 08:47 AM

RC's reaction will be "wow" followed by "Dennis, get Houston on the phone."

You know it's true.

Indazone
04-25-2009, 08:56 AM
You guys want to make a trade? How about we give you ummm Cook for Splitter and we'll take that bad contract that you have with Bonner? :rollin

Marcus Bryant
04-25-2009, 08:56 AM
I thought the Spurs would be under the cap by a greater amount than that necessary for a 3yr/$10 mil contract in 2010? Or is that number based on their likely cap room this summer?

JPB
04-25-2009, 08:57 AM
Bruno, I've been wondering for a while now... Are you Bruno Poulain ?

Marcus Bryant
04-25-2009, 09:04 AM
Anyways, this knowledge puts using that pick on Splitter in a whole new light. I'm assuming the FO was aware of that section in the CBA.

polysylab1k
04-25-2009, 09:11 AM
You guys want to make a trade? How about we give you ummm Cook for Splitter and we'll take that bad contract that you have with Bonner? :rollin
No team owns a contract worse than T-Mac's. Marbury had already been waived and is on celtics now. Bonner himself is already double valuable as Cook, the rights for Splitter only makes your proposal even more hilarious and impossible. Thanks for sharing your foolish idea though, thank you idiot. :toast

Bruno
04-25-2009, 09:15 AM
Bruno, I've been wondering for a while now... Are you Bruno Poulain ?

:lol No.

Mel_13
04-25-2009, 09:19 AM
No team owns a contract worse than T-Mac's. Marbury had already been waived and is on celtics now. Bonner himself is already double valuable as Cook, the rights for Splitter only makes your proposal even more hilarious and impossible. Thanks for sharing your foolish idea though, thank you idiot. :toast

You need to turn on your sarcasm detector

EricB
04-25-2009, 09:50 AM

How does one trade a free agent ?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-25-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm pretty sure that if this thread were brought to Henry Abbott's attention he'd: 1) be fascinated by it; and, 2) rectify the error by sourcing Bruno. I've been reading Truehoop for a number of years and Abbott is very serious about journalistic ethics. I think this is an oversight on his part, nothing more.

Also, great post Bruno. You spell out in two paragraphs the value of the ST community, and I heartily endorse everything you said. :toast

Another thing - it's probably been covered elsewhere although I haven't seen it and just realised it - not having a first rounder this year was obviously part of the 2010 plan, and even though I didn't agree with it a couple of years ago, at least that has been set up right.

I suspect that next year we'll see at least 4 youngsters come into the team or take on greater roles (Hill, Mahinmi, Gist and some one else, maybe Hairston or Williams), and then we'll have a bedded down, much younger core, plus an incoming Splitter, to attract that 2010 FA who will play alongside Tim until he retires in 2012, and beyond that with TP. The big questions are who we can lure here in 2010, and whether we can keep Manu for a decent price to play out his career for two years with Timmy.

I'm pretty excited about some of this youth we have coming in over the longer term - we have to accept that there will be a few bumps in the road for the next two seasons as they grow into NBA players, and we probably won't win 55+ games (although should still be good for 50), but by Tim's retirement we'll have a maturing team with TP at his peak, another FA, and a blossoming Splitter.

Given the long term vision of the franchise is to make the playoffs every year and avoid any long-term fall from grace like we saw from the post-Magic Lakers, and the post-Michael Bulls, the FO has arranged things quite nicely. Still a pity about Scola though - he'd make a great Spur. :lol

wildbill2u
04-25-2009, 10:00 AM
The Spurs paid Scola's money to Bonner. It's not like they weren't willing to pay someone. That someone just wasn't Scola :lol

Speaking as one who deferred to the collective wisdom of the FO in deciding to go with Bonner vs. Scola, I have to admit that Scola has far exceeded Bonner in value to his team.

Some day I'd really like to hear the lowdown on why the Spurs took Scola, the best forward in Europe, over Bonner, a bench player for a third tier team. Whatever the reason, it has proved to be a mistake.

DPG21920
04-25-2009, 11:10 AM
How does one trade a free agent ?

You trade his rights. Just like Scola.

EricB
04-25-2009, 11:12 AM
You trade his rights. Just like Scola.

Trade Matt Bonner's rights?

mystargtr34
04-25-2009, 11:17 AM

You should maybe stop trying to turn every thread about Spurs Signings into a Scola thread. Its all well and good telling us how good Scola is, but at some point it might be good to just have an opinion about the thread topic.

I understand the Rockets havent had much to gloat about in 15 years, but you gotta draw the line somewhere.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-25-2009, 11:17 AM

SCOLA THREAD! lol

Bourousis will be better than Scola. At same age he is better than Scola was I think.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj137/Spurspics/7219d1208717137-resizing-animated-g.gif

Excellent!:downspin:

DPG21920
04-25-2009, 11:18 AM
Trade Matt Bonner's rights?

Splitters rights. He was saying, just like the Scola trade, they will take a "bad" contract if the Spurs give them the rights to a foreign player (Tiago.)

Mel_13
04-25-2009, 11:20 AM
Bourousis will be better than Scola. At same age he is better than Scola was I think.

Well, I'm sold now.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-25-2009, 11:20 AM
yeah, i saw it on ESPN testerday and also saw that Bruno was credited for the info.
Nice work. :toast

anyway, didn't they change something by adding this :

And someone needs to tell fucking morons at ESPN that it is JUST the name for label of the club. Fucking dumbasses.

mystargtr34
04-25-2009, 11:23 AM
But damn this is exciting news. Ive been dreaming about a Splitter/Mahinmi backup tandem since the day Splitter was drafted. Both are under 25 , 7 feet, and bring completely different things to the table.

Tiago ALREADY has the game to be a Starting Center in the NBA. And hes only just turned 24.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-25-2009, 11:25 AM
Speaking as one who deferred to the collective wisdom of the FO in deciding to go with Bonner vs. Scola, I have to admit that Scola has far exceeded Bonner in value to his team.

Some day I'd really like to hear the lowdown on why the Spurs took Scola, the best forward in Europe, over Bonner, a bench player for a third tier team. Whatever the reason, it has proved to be a mistake.

To be honest Scola was never consider best forward in Europe. Parker was. Even though Scola was actual better than him. But this is because Scola always choked in final four every time so he got label as player that could not handle big moment.

But in Argentina national tam he never have this problem. Really it was maybe not Scola but whole TAU team. They choke every year. They are like Mavs of Euroleague.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-25-2009, 11:26 AM
But damn this is exciting news. Ive been dreaming about a Splitter/Mahinmi backup tandem since the day Splitter was drafted. Both are under 25 , 7 feet, and bring completely different things to the table.

Tiago ALREADY has the game to be a Starting Center in the NBA. And hes only just turned 24.

Mahinmi? WTF is Spurs fans deal with him? He has never been consider a good player.

Stump
04-25-2009, 12:54 PM
If the Spurs signed Splitter to a contract that was not on the rookie scale, would he still be a restricted free agent afterwords?

TheProfessor
04-25-2009, 11:09 PM
We might not have to wait until 2010. Through some grape viens I have heard that the economic problems in the Spanish league might make it cheaper for the Spurs to buyout Splitter's contract.
I thought the Spurs could only contribute $500,000 to his buyout, and that Splitter would have to buy out the rest with his contract, virtually impossible on the current rookie scale. Unless of course, Tau reduces his buyout to $500,000. But who says a team with better financing doesn't step in and offer to take him off their hands?

Marcus Bryant
04-25-2009, 11:11 PM
We might not have to wait until 2010. Through some grape viens I have heard that the economic problems in the Spanish league might make it cheaper for the Spurs to buyout Splitter's contract.

Then he'd be stuck with the rookie scale.

EricB
04-26-2009, 12:31 AM

Hot diggity damn.

ElNono
04-26-2009, 12:49 AM
The thing is, Splitter is a decent big, but he's not THAT good. Plus like pretty much every other Euro, it's going to take him a while to get acquainted with the NBA. I would say he would need at least one or two years for him to be a solid NBA player, maybe more. That's why I don't really have high hopes of him contributing anything meaningful in whatever is left of the Duncan era.

EricB
04-26-2009, 12:53 AM
The thing is, Splitter is a decent big, but he's not THAT good. Plus like pretty much every other Euro, it's going to take him a while to get acquainted with the NBA. I would say he would need at least one or two years for him to be a solid NBA player, maybe more. That's why I don't really have high hopes of him contributing anything meaningful in whatever is left of the Duncan era.

Uh yes he is.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-26-2009, 01:42 AM
I disagree. I was listening to an interview early in the year between Bill Schoening and Marc Gasol. I'd say that Gasol was one of the better rookie bigs this season and has a bright future ahead of him, but durring the interview Gasol said that if the Spurs had Tiago it would be game over. So in the opinion from someone who has played in the Spanish leauge (playing against Tiago) and had time in the NBA at that point, I'd say he has a better opinion than any of us.

I don't expect Tiago to come in and be the new Tim Duncan, but I do expect him to provide above average role player minutes for us.

He is good. Bourousis is better.

Ice009
04-26-2009, 03:07 AM
He is good. Bourousis is better.

Is he battle tested though Kill Bill Pana?

What I mean by that is that Manu and Scola have played in big games in Europe and also for Argentina.

Is Splitter battle tested in big games and will likely perform rather than turn into Hedo Turkoglu or Roger Mason Jr for the Spurs when it's play off time?

Mal
04-26-2009, 05:24 AM
Splliter is good. He is defending, he is rebounding, with nice passing skills. He plays close to basket, all time in the pain. Very poor FT`s shooter.

I`m sure he is better than any other Spurs` big

polandprzem
04-26-2009, 05:43 AM
Splliter is good. He is defending, he is rebounding, with nice passing skills. He plays close to basket, all time in the pain. Very poor FT`s shooter.

I`m sure he is better than any other Spurs` big

shit

Mal
04-26-2009, 06:53 AM
Catched by word. I am sure you know I want to wrote "paint"

TheProfessor
04-26-2009, 07:36 AM
The thing is, Splitter is a decent big, but he's not THAT good.]
Um, he's an upgrade over our current frontcourt players outside Duncan. That's all I require.

Plus like pretty much every other Euro, it's going to take him a while to get acquainted with the NBA.
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/91303/scola05i_medium.jpg

TheChillFactor
04-26-2009, 07:50 AM
yeah splitter isn't prime shaq but hell look at marc gasol. i'd take him in a heartbeat.

ElNono
04-26-2009, 10:05 AM
Um, he's an upgrade over our current frontcourt players outside Duncan. That's all I require.

He would be an upgrade offensively. But don't expect him to do better than, say, Gooden, numbers wise.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/91303/scola05i_medium.jpg

I'm a big Scola fan, but it did take him a couple of years to get acquainted with the NBA. Scola also has 2x the basketball IQ Splitter has, and has already played in more big stage games than Thiago. It's not a good comparison.

ElNono
04-26-2009, 10:12 AM
I disagree. I was listening to an interview early in the year between Bill Schoening and Marc Gasol. I'd say that Gasol was one of the better rookie bigs this season and has a bright future ahead of him, but durring the interview Gasol said that if the Spurs had Tiago it would be game over. So in the opinion from someone who has played in the Spanish leauge (playing against Tiago) and had time in the NBA at that point, I'd say he has a better opinion than any of us.

I don't expect Tiago to come in and be the new Tim Duncan, but I do expect him to provide above average role player minutes for us.

Marc Gasol is a different player and more suited to the NBA, since he's got a bigger body. That said, he's still getting his feet wet in the league, and he will be more effective next year. I think his team's record speaks for itself as far the impact he has had in his first NBA season.

What I'm trying to point out there is that if you're expecting Splitter to put up 20-10 in his rookie season you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

TheProfessor
04-26-2009, 11:01 AM
He would be an upgrade offensively. But don't expect him to do better than, say, Gooden, numbers wise.

I'm a big Scola fan, but it did take him a couple of years to get acquainted with the NBA. Scola also has 2x the basketball IQ Splitter has, and has already played in more big stage games than Thiago. It's not a good comparison.
I'll take Gooden's numbers at a lower price with that kind of upside, easily.

Just because Scola has improved does not mean he didn't play very well his first year. Splitter's IQ is not as high, but his physical tools give him a leg up; hell, just being able to run the floor like he does will help in transition. I'm not saying he's the Spurs' savior or anything, but he gives us several attributes we currently lack in the frontcourt rotation. And didn't Splitter play in the Euroleague Final Four last year, putting in good effort despite an injury?

biziofromdowntown
04-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Splitter is a '85 and he's the most impressive center in Europe.
and there's a REAL possibility to take him this summer

Book it.

EricB
04-26-2009, 11:07 AM
How would the Spurs get him though!??!

The club in Spain gives him a lower buyout?

But couldn't he just say "eh, go to another euroleague team"?!

TheProfessor
04-26-2009, 11:08 AM

Book it.
Not unless his buyout is reduced substantially and he feels like taking a huge paycut compared to what other Euro teams could offer.

EricB
04-26-2009, 11:08 AM
BTW Tau Ceramica the team, it would be great karma if they went out of business.

After the screwings over of the Spurs they've done, they deserve it.

EricB
04-26-2009, 11:09 AM
Not unless his buyout is reduced substantially and he feels like taking a huge paycut compared to what other Euro teams could offer.

Thats what I thought..

The economy is dredge over there, almost worse than ours.

So maybe the Euro's teams won't be so free spending this summer.

biziofromdowntown
04-26-2009, 11:09 AM
TAU is going to sell out one of their jewels.
If will be Splitter they never give him to another Euroleague team.

TheProfessor
04-26-2009, 11:12 AM
TAU is going to sell out one of their jewels.
If will be Splitter they never give him to another Euroleague team.
But it's not like they would or could sell him to an NBA team. Spurs will have to wait until they're allowed to give him more than rookie scale under the CBA.

biziofromdowntown
04-26-2009, 11:16 AM
In other words, TAU need to sell, Spurs need to shop a big...

they'll find a way, i'm pretty sure.

and i hope with all my heart!

TheProfessor
04-26-2009, 11:27 AM
In other words, TAU need to sell, Spurs need to shop a big...

they'll find a way, i'm pretty sure.

and i hope with all my heart!
:lol So do I, but it ain't happening until 2010.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Is he battle tested though Kill Bill Pana?

What I mean by that is that Manu and Scola have played in big games in Europe and also for Argentina.

Is Splitter battle tested in big games and will likely perform rather than turn into Hedo Turkoglu or Roger Mason Jr for the Spurs when it's play off time?

Big games? Well finals of Spain Cup and Spanish championship and finals of Euroleague.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-26-2009, 12:53 PM

Book it.

Nope.

Pekovic and Bourousis have more talent than him.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-26-2009, 12:55 PM
BTW Tau Ceramica the team, it would be great karma if they went out of business.

After the screwings over of the Spurs they've done, they deserve it.

Again this is complete nonsense that this team is in horrible financial situation.

biziofromdowntown
04-26-2009, 01:04 PM
Nope.

Pekovic and Bourousis have more talent than him.

Bourousis??? he sucks well...

Ilyashova or Velikovic r both better

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Bourousis??? he sucks well...

Ilyashova or Velikovic r both better

You are serious liar.