PDA

View Full Version : My car just died, so what now?

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-24-2009, 10:46 PM
I was with some friends hanging out and about 2 hours ago I had to take one of them home. During this time and after a signal shows up saying "Service Engine Soon" next to my speedometer. I didn't think it meant so quickly so I thought I would be able to deal with it when I get home, which is about 10 miles away from where the signal showed up. As I finish doing that and head back to my house I stop by my aunt's to pick up my sister. We get her and we get ready to go... but the car dies on me.

I start it but it only stays on for like 3 seconds at the longest and turns back off. Revving the engine to try to keep it going didn't help at all, and my uncle who knows a little bit about fixing cars says I need professional work done to it. My friends got another ride home and now I'm stuck until my parents can get me.

How long does it usually take to get this fixed and how much? It's a 99 Oldsmobile Alero. I'm pretty dependent on it as well, I usually have to pick up my sister all the time with it and it gets me to and from school. And there's other problems with it as well. Should I try to convince my parents to consider getting another car? Or am I best off getting it repaired and sticking with it? Cause I'm sure as hell not going back to depending on them.

mavs>spurs2
04-24-2009, 11:10 PM
Dude, that's fucking strange. My friend who also has a 99 Alero had the EXACT thing happen to him. It just went away suddenly so he thought it was bad gas. It still happens about once every couple months then acts fine.

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-24-2009, 11:14 PM
Hmm, was anything else wrong with his car before it broke down on him?
Mine sorta shakes when I come to a stop at a light or stop sign, and the gas pedal wasn't functioning that well, I had to stomp on the damn thing to just get going.

Wild Cobra
04-25-2009, 12:17 AM
If you know what you're doing as not to short anything out, disconnect the negative battery terminal for 10 seconds or longer, then put it back on. This will reset the computer. Find someone who has a code reader and go from there. If you're by chance in Portland, OR, I have a code reader.

Pistons < Spurs
04-25-2009, 12:31 AM
I'm pretty sure AutoZone does free diagnostic tests.

Frenzy
04-25-2009, 01:03 AM
I'm pretty sure AutoZone does free diagnostic tests.

on batteries and alternators. Only if they did it on whole engines:lol

Where the hell is cosmic cowboy...i'll prob guess what it is if you just hmmm him the problem over the phone.

leemajors
04-25-2009, 02:39 AM
on batteries and alternators. Only if they did it on whole engines:lol

Where the hell is cosmic cowboy...i'll prob guess what it is if you just hmmm him the problem over the phone.

no, they will hook your car up to their decoder and read any computer codes in the parking lot. caveat is you have to be able to drive the car into the lot.

Fat Bones
04-25-2009, 04:28 AM
It could be something as simple as a clogged fuel filter. Considering the cost of auto repairs, I would suggest in investing ~$20 in a repair manual they sell on the shelves at Autozone for each and every used/older car you drive. Even if the repair is beyond your technical expertise, at least you can make informed decisions.

PM5K
04-25-2009, 05:57 AM
Have you tried a spare key?

Does your Alero (I have no idea what the fuck an Alero is), anyhow does it use transponder keys?

cherylsteele
04-25-2009, 12:00 PM
What exactly is wrong with besides just dieing. That could mean alot of things.
Did it make a noise or anything?