PDA

View Full Version : After Mavericks' Big Win, Now It Gets Scary

duncan228
04-25-2009, 01:06 AM
After Dallas Mavericks’ big win, now it gets scary (http://www.star-telegram.com/287/story/1338759.html)
By Ray Buck

Memo to Spurs: Have some mercy, will ya?

Tim Duncan and Tony Parker seem to be on a Dirty Harry mission in Game 4 of the Mavs-Spurs first-round series at American Airlines Center.

Prediction: The Mavs will have to withstand the Spurs’ best punch right out of the box today.

The way things have gone, San Antonio will lay a good old-fashioned payback on the Mavericks for deeds done less than 48 hours earlier.

"Both teams have responded very well to losing ... and very poorly to winning," Mavs coach Rick Carlisle said following Friday’s light team practice. "Human nature, I guess [it is]. When you lose, you become desperate."

Call it unconditional, high-energy, trend-breaking desperation. That’s what the Mavs need to bring to the AAC today at 3 p.m.

So far in this best-of-seven series, it’s been the Mavs by eight, the Spurs by 21 and the Mavs by 21 ... and it wasn’t even that close.

"We’d loved to have had a little closer game and grind it out," said Dirk Nowitzki, reminding his teammates to "stay humble, stay hungry."

Prediction: The Spurs will take an edge in dangerous mind-set into Game 4.

"It’s a chess match. Our playoff series with [the Spurs] have always been that," Mavs guard Jason Terry said after Thursday night’s 88-67 checkmate.

But this team might want to show up more like Dick Butkus than Boris Spassky.

"San Antonio is going to bring a great game [today], we know that," said Carlisle, offering up a prediction of his own.

Inside the Spurs’ locker room immediately following Game 3, a stoic Duncan sat at his locker and saw dead people, or at least I think he saw dead people. That’s the impression he gave.

His resolve is scary.

"We’re not going to play like that again," Duncan vowed. "We’re not going to give that kind of effort, we’re not going to make those kind of mistakes again."

Dallas is up 2-1 in a series that has made a couple of crooked turns in its favor. But the Mavs now face a psychological hill climb.

Can they stand prosperity? Can they contain Parker for back-to-back games? Can they produce a second stat sheet in a row that Spurs coach Gregg Popovich ("Good Lord. Have some mercy, will ya?") will flip upside-down and push onto the floor without reading?

Prediction: Duncan will not be held to four points on 2-of-9 shooting today. Or maybe ever again, for that matter.

"It was just an awful game for me," Duncan said. "I want to come back and … hopefully be a leader."

Hopefully? His intent will be to put the Spurs on his back and carry them to a series-tying victory today. Hopefully, the Mavs recognize this and match San Antonio’s intensity.

"They’ll be ready for Game 4," Terry said of the Spurs. "But we’ll be ready, too."

Duncan, foreboding mind-set and all, is coming off a game in which he played just 15 1/2 minutes.

"That’s like going through a shoot-around, almost," Carlisle said of Duncan’s Game 3 activity. "I mean, that’s nothing for him."

Prediction: Popovich won’t be clearing his bench in the third quarter today. Over Duncan’s dead body.

The thing about Duncan is that he has enough skins on the wall to last a lifetime. He could take off a playoff game once in a while, rest his knees. But that would be another Tim Duncan.

On Thursday night, Duncan, Parker and the rest of the starters were put on the bench by Popovich with roughly 20 minutes to play in a game that had reached a foregone conclusion.

"Pop pulls us, puts us on the bench, and lets us sit there and simmer," Duncan said. "Hopefully, that’ll be a little bit of fuel in addition to the little bit of rest we got."

Prediction: Popovich will have this Spurs team ready. Not unbeatable in Game 4, but ready.

Guessing along with everybody else, Dirk said Popovich was "probably chewing out" his players Friday, and that can never hurt a team in need of a bounce back.

As for the Mavericks, the X-factor could be the 20,000-plus fannies in AAC seats today.

Thursday night’s raucous crowd from the get-go was credited in helping the home team make a fast start: 8-0, 21-9 ... and keep pouring it on: 46-21, 80-44 by early in the fourth.

"The challenge for us is to keep that energy level up ... [which] is not easy to do after a win," said Carlisle, trying to explain. "The playoffs are so emotional that when you win, it feels like you’re never going lose. And when you lose, it feels like you’re never going to win."

Same good news/bad news for the Mavs today. They’re up 2-1 in the series. ... but scheduled to be blown out next.

"It’s sitting there, staring both teams in the face," Carlisle said of the facts. "When either team has won, their next game has been abysmal."

It’s a game of chess.

But for the Mavs, a few Bobby Fischer moves might not be enough.

duncan228
04-25-2009, 01:21 AM
Series' trend means Dallas Mavericks can expect Spurs' best (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/042509dnspomavslede.3296458.html)
By Eddie Sefco / The Dallas Morning News

As seats fill up on the Mavericks' bandwagon, passengers should be advised of one cautionary note.

You might want to buy a refundable ticket.

That's not just logic gleaned from an up-and-down regular season. It's the reality of a playoff series against San Antonio that has proved neither team can stand prosperity.

"Both teams have responded very well to losing and very poorly to winning," Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle said Friday. "It's staring both teams in the face. When either team has won, their next game has been abysmal. That's a challenge for us because we know what kind of game they're going to bring.

"It's not easy after you win. There's a tendency to let down. It's probably human nature."

If that's the case, the Mavericks and Spurs have been super-human because they have had monster collapses after uplifting wins.

The Mavericks went belly-up in Game 2 after stealing Game 1 and the home-court advantage in San Antonio.

After the humbling wipeout, the Mavericks returned home and steamrolled the Spurs, repaying with a 21-point whipping that could have easily been 31 or 41.

Which brings us to today. Game 4 will determine whether the Mavericks can put a stranglehold on the series and go up 3-1 or if the Spurs can serve notice that they aren't dead by leveling things.

The series has reached a point where it's no longer about adjustments and strategy. The teams haven't changed tactics much from game to game. They simply executed their game plans flawlessly in wins and didn't in losses.

Now, the series becomes more about heart, guts and minds. It's a matter of will.

"It's about believing and never giving up hope," J.J. Barea said. "If we get a good start, it'll be great for us. If we let them get that confidence back, it'll be a rough day.

"A lot of it is about whoever brings the most energy to the game. We got different defensive plans, but if we don't bring the energy, none of them will work."

The onus today is on the Spurs to prove they aren't damaged goods mentally after the complete no-show Thursday. The Mavericks' defensive rotations were timed perfect when Tony Parker strutted into the lane. They didn't have to inflict any hard fouls, yet they kept the point guard from getting his offensive game going.

Tim Duncan was a non-factor. The rest of the Spurs didn't have enough punch.

"We bounced back really good in Game 2 so we'll see how we bounce back here," Parker said. "We're definitely going to have to take the challenge. They know how important it is to go up 3-1, and we know how important it is to even the series."

The Mavericks have a strong sense of just how important today is to San Antonio. Going down 3-1 doesn't guarantee a loss, but it's a deficit that has only been overcome eight times, most recently in 2006 by Phoenix against the Los Angeles Lakers.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said after Game 3 that handling wins is tougher than handling losses and the Spurs and Mavericks have proven that.

"You know they're going to be better," said Dirk Nowitzki. "Pop's probably going to chew them out, and they're going to make their shots, and we got to be even sharper. The defensive intensity has to stay the same.

"We got to stay humble and stay hungry and use our home-court advantage, hopefully start off pretty good and let the home crowd carry us through."

mavs>spurs2
04-25-2009, 01:52 AM
This game is pivotal. I think if you guys win, you'll probably win in 7. But if we win, it's over in 5 or 6. And I'm thinking you guys aren't winning in Dallas while we've got all this momentum coming off a blowout victory :smokin

spursfan09
04-25-2009, 01:56 AM
This game is pivotal. I think if you guys win, you'll probably win in 7. But if we win, it's over in 5 or 6. And I'm thinking you guys aren't winning in Dallas while we've got all this momentum coming off a blowout victory :smokin

I would agree, but I can imagine Spurs winning in Dallas tomorrow, because they were so embarrased last game

exstatic
04-25-2009, 07:42 AM

If SA wins, they win the series in 6. SA always wins game 6 in Dallas, win or lose the series, even in 2006.

Thomas82
04-25-2009, 07:45 AM
If SA wins, they win the series in 6. SA always wins game 6 in Dallas, win or lose the series, even in 2006.

True that!!

1Parker1
04-25-2009, 08:22 AM
I would agree, but I can imagine Spurs winning in Dallas tomorrow, because they were so embarrased last game

Yes, the Spurs were embarassed, but the problem is without they don't have the personell as they did in season's past. Dallas is a great home team...quietly they've been the best home team post all star break after the Cavs. Spurs will need to play perfectly in order to win today.

polysylab1k
04-25-2009, 08:30 AM
dammit, I have never expected Mavs to beat the spurs 4-1. I think this series is already over now that even a spurs fan feels this pessimistic for his team.

If the series truely got dragged to game 6, as this spurs fan said, Mavs would lose it very probably. Then, game 5 will be a must win for us accordingly.