PDA

View Full Version : This is Tim Duncan's team

stéphane
04-25-2009, 08:18 AM
A lot of articles have been written recently about Parker taking over the leadership for the Spurs but the team's success and future in the playoffs are obviously in #21 hands.
The spurs are not an up tempo team and the offense is based on a simple principle : you can't let the best power forward ever single covered in the low post.
This team is built around Duncan, the sole purpose of having Matt Bonner in the lineup is to surround the big Fundamental with outside shooters so he have space in the paint or make the other team pay for bringing help over.
So, what happens if Tim can't dominate? Well we're witnessing it right now. The shooters have way less open looks and rely solely on screens and set plays to get good ones.
I'm not attacking Tim or his level of performance but letting Tony try to get wins by himself won't get us anywhere (and not in the secound round).
This is Tim's team so let's live or die by him and forcefeed the ball to him. get Dampier in early foul trouble and play spurs ball.

:flag:

polysylab1k
04-25-2009, 08:37 AM
This is Pop's team.

Leetonidas
04-25-2009, 08:40 AM
Tim is assuming the role of Robinson ala 1999. Tony Parker is the man now, face it. He is now the unguardable force on the Spurs.

Josepatches_
04-25-2009, 09:12 AM
A lot of articles have been written recently about Parker taking over the leadership for the Spurs but the team's success and future in the playoffs are obviously in #21 hands.
The spurs are not an up tempo team and the offense is based on a simple principle : you can't let the best power forward ever single covered in the low post.
This team is built around Duncan, the sole purpose of having Matt Bonner in the lineup is to surround the big Fundamental with outside shooters so he have space in the paint or make the other team pay for bringing help over.
So, what happens if Tim can't dominate? Well we're witnessing it right now. The shooters have way less open looks and rely solely on screens and set plays to get good ones.
I'm not attacking Tim or his level of performance but letting Tony try to get wins by himself won't get us anywhere (and not in the secound round).
This is Tim's team so let's live or die by him and forcefeed the ball to him. get Dampier in early foul trouble and play spurs ball.

:flag:

Agree.

But TD is not healthy so he can dominate as he did early this season.And Manu is out too.That's the problem of the Spurs right now.
Letting Tony try to get wins by himself won't get us anywhere but it's the best we can do right now.

StoneBuddha
04-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Yes, Manu's injury made the bigger headlines, but I've always been more concerned about Duncan's knees, both in the short term and long term.

His post offense and interior defense are the foundation, without those its hard for the Spurs to win consistently against good teams; Manu is the supercharger who puts the Spurs over the top, but you need to get to that point first.

Go Spurs Go! Damn, I forgot how much I hate the Mavs. (All those 2006 feelings coming back.)

Galileo
04-25-2009, 02:33 PM
What's up with Duncan's knees? Is it one of them, or both?

The first 47 games of the season, Tim dominated. We were 33-14, despite a 2-5 start, despite not much Manu, and parker missing 10 games (really 11).

Then, the last 35 games, Duncan only averaged 25 minutes per game, and he has light minutes in the playoffs. We finished 21-14.

What is going on, Tim is not that old, he is 32 today, 33 tomorrow.

The NBA needs to go to a 50 game regular season, this is bullshit with all the injured players in the playoffs!

timvp
04-25-2009, 02:37 PM
I've been agreeing with this sentiment lately but I have to change my mind. The Spurs are extremely dependent on Tony Parker at this point. They are more dependent than any team in the playoffs is to any player. Unless Duncan shows something, the torch has been passed for the rest of this season.

Next year, let's hope Duncan can get healthy and that Manu can get healthy so it's a three-pronged attack once again.

Brutalis
04-25-2009, 02:40 PM
This is Tim's team. Parker gets what he gets a lot of the time because of the focus and ability of Duncan. Take him away and we get swept.

Galileo
04-25-2009, 02:48 PM
Tim said his knees were better, how could he have such a bad game with 2 days rest, light minutes the previous game, and in such a pivitol game?

Tim we need you today, I hope your knees are better. Don't we have modern mediacl technology that can help Tim?

ducks
04-25-2009, 02:53 PM
I've been agreeing with this sentiment lately but I have to change my mind. The Spurs are extremely dependent on Tony Parker at this point. They are more dependent than any team in the playoffs is to any player. Unless Duncan shows something, the torch has been passed for the rest of this season.

Next year, let's hope Duncan can get healthy and that Manu can get healthy so it's a three-pronged attack once again.

yep

Obstructed_View
04-25-2009, 03:06 PM
The way they failed to step up in game 2, they'd best decide pretty fucking quick whose team it is, load him up and ride him through the rest of the playoffs. What's the cliche about when you have two guys competing for a starting QB job?

stéphane
04-25-2009, 03:18 PM
Seems Tony is looking A LOT for Tim in the beginning of this game. Two easy baskets and 2 fouls on him already.

duncan228
04-25-2009, 03:19 PM
What's up with Duncan's knees? Is it one of them, or both?

Tim said his knees were better, how could he have such a bad game with 2 days rest, light minutes the previous game, and in such a pivitol game?

It's both knees.

His left is chronic. His right was diagnosed with tendonosis in February.

Tendonosis is degenerative, it's not going to go away. It needs longer rest than the season offers to feel any better. Duncan will have good days and bad days, with no real way to predict how he'll feel. Rest seems to help, but it can flare anytime. The day before it was diagnosed he was fine in the morning and then couldn't play that night.

Duncan will always give everything he can, but his knees will determine how much that is on any given night.

stéphane
04-25-2009, 04:43 PM
what more does TP have to do?? why can't yall just accept the fact that the spurs belong to tony now??

Yeah whatever troll.

DAF86
04-25-2009, 04:43 PM
what more does TP have to do?? why can't yall just accept the fact that the spurs belong to tony now??

Peter Holt may have something to say about that.

BlackSwordsMan
04-25-2009, 04:48 PM
it's manu's team

DAF86
04-25-2009, 04:51 PM
it's manu's team

Word