PDA

View Full Version : Today's officials

Mel_13
04-25-2009, 08:30 AM
Scott Foster

Mike Callahan

Zach Zarba

Which looks OK, considering that Salvatore is working in New Orleans tonight as well as this info from the Joey thread courtesy of FromWayDowntown:

Consider that the Spurs overall winning percentage in playoff games since 1999 is .641 (98-55). You'd expect that for most of the officials who have frequently worked Spurs playoff games during that time, the Spurs corresponding winning percentage would be somewhere in that neighborhood. And, among the most "elite" officials in the game right now, the Spurs have generally won at about that clip. But there is an obvious exception (and a surmise on my part that proved to be true as well). Here are the Spurs' winning percentages since 1999 with various officials calling playoff games:

.818 (9-2) - Greg Willard
.800 (4-1) - Sean Corbin
.714 (20-8) - Dan Crawford
.714 (5-2) - Scott Foster
.696 (16-7) - Steve Javie
.667 (14-7) - Joey Crawford
.652 (15-8) - Bob Delaney
.652 (15-8) - Ron Garretson
.650 (13-7) - Mike Callahan
.643 (20-9) - Dick Bavetta
.641 (98-55) -- SPURS OVERALL WINNING PERCENTAGE
.636 (7-4) - Mark Wunderlich
.588 (10-7) - Joe Derosa
.583 (7-5) - Ken Mauer
.555 (5-4) - Monty McCutchen
.545 (6-5) - Tom Washington
.526 (10-9) - Jack Nies
.519 (14-13) - Bennett Salvatore
.391 (9-14) - Eddie F. Rush
.333 (2-4) - David Jones

Also, all three officials are among the least "homer" refs in the NBA

http://www.covers.com/pageLoader/pageLoader.aspx?page=/data/nba/statistics/2008-2009/referee_ats.html

polandprzem
04-25-2009, 08:38 AM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/008C2jT7vjeHn/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0ezYcX3ajVd5L/340x.jpg

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/writers/chris_mannix/07/29/donaghy.sentence/foster.elsa.jpg

EricB
04-25-2009, 09:56 AM
Solid :tu

I like Callahan, usually he's pretty fair.

Foster is iffy at times but more often than not solid as well.

LEONARD
04-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Only on a Spurs forum... :lmao

EricB
04-25-2009, 10:08 AM

How bout them heat?

spursfan1000
04-25-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm just glad I don't see crawford in there.

Mel_13
04-25-2009, 10:16 AM

The officials should not be part of discussion, but the wild variances in referee performances that are evident when watching the NBA make it so.

For example, early in today's game, Tim Duncan will try to establish low post position against Dampier. Dampier will try to use his strength to keep Duncan as far from basket as possible. Quite frankly, I don't know the exact language in the rulebook that governs allowable defensive contact for post defenders. What I do know is the Duncan/Dampier contest will have a predictable amount of contact. Sometimes it is allowed and sometimes it is called a foul. If it is allowed, the Mavs chances of victory improve. If Dampier gets two quick fouls, then the Spurs chances of victory improve.

Then when you add the fact that at least two referees in this league have ejected Duncan from games only to see the league overturn the decision when reviewed, you get discussions about referees.

I sincerely hope that when we review the rest of the games in this series there will be no discussion of controversial calls, or worse, league suspensions.

polandprzem
04-25-2009, 10:33 AM

You don't know much about officials are you?

This board always brings every aspect of the game. Refs are part of the game and there are diferences in officiating games by fdiferent refs.

LEONARD
04-25-2009, 10:39 AM
How bout them heat?

Clever

The officials should not be part of discussion

Exactly

You don't know much about officials are you?

This board always brings every aspect of the game. Refs are part of the game and there are diferences in officiating games by fdiferent refs.

I know officials call the game and there is nothing you can do about it...so why worry, bitch, or complain about it before, or after, the game?

Flux451
04-25-2009, 11:00 AM
Clever

Exactly

I know officials call the game and there is nothing you can do about it...so why worry, bitch, or complain about it before, or after, the game?

It's stipulated. Some refs can be more gullible. If you have a young refs, they are usually trigger happy. If the Barry/Fisher no call had a different ref or if Barry would have drawn the foul more the outcome could have been different. It's relative. Something that only player can keep in the back of their minds. For us it is just jibberjabber.

EricB
04-25-2009, 11:07 AM
Clever

Exactly

Theres an X button in the upper right hand corner you can click if it really bothers you that much also-ran.

Mel_13
04-25-2009, 11:11 AM

Yeah, don't ever do that......

First, I just have to state that in no way do I blame the Mavs losses in this series on the officiating. They stepped on their own dicks in so many ways it's not even funny...

But game 6 proved that Wade has surpassed the "Super Star" level and is now a "Poster Boy" (which in my opinion means that he gets the same calls on the road that he gets at home). The rest of the league should take notice....

This page has 5 video clips from game 6... (it's not my blog)

http://www.ericfolkerth.com//B1082610743/C1360270701/E20060621011743/index.html

All you REALLY need to watch is this one...
http://www.ericfolkerth.com/phantomfoul1.mov

How can NBA referees REALLY fall for garbage like that? Seeing Wade do that really makes me lose respect for him...he's too good for that. That's the definition of taking a dive...World Cup style!!

The charge on Harris was obvious but I blew that off when I felt that Dirk got a similar call later on.

The only other call I had a REAL problem during the game was the late (less than a minute left) blocking call on Dirk when Wade plowed into him and stuck a forearm into his chest... (video #5)

Like I said...not speaking as a pissed off Mavs fan, but a fan of the NBA...everybody should take notice that Wade has reached a new level of play AND respect from the officials. Thoughts??

I'm already looking forward for the '06-'07 season...should be insane.

GO COWBOYS GO!! :fro

EricB
04-25-2009, 11:13 AM
:lmao

owned

LEONARD
04-25-2009, 11:20 AM
That doesn't look like blaming or crying about officiating to me...just pointing out the star level that Wade had reached (with video proof), which most NBA fans agree with (ie, D-whistle). I even stated my position in the first sentence...

Read the entire thread and you'll see that some got my point, but many retards did not...
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44478

The Mavs blew that series and I've always maintained that position...I could go back and find a dozen posts by me saying that if I cared to do so...

Mel_13
04-25-2009, 11:33 AM
That doesn't look like blaming or crying about officiating to me...just pointing out the star level that Wade had reached (with video proof), which most NBA fans agree with (ie, D-whistle). I even stated my position in the first sentence...

The Mavs blew that series and I've always maintained that position...I could go back and find a dozen posts by me saying that if I cared to do so...

I'm not going to argue about what constitutes worrying or complaining. You will notice that I quoted your entire post, including the parts that you reference and did not selectively quote as you did to support your point.

My point actually echoes your 2006 post; the officiating in the NBA is often so bizarre it becomes part of the conversation. Its why betting sites like covers.com include referee stats as important game information. It would be better if the officiating were an always invisible, always neutral factor. But its not.

So we talk about it. On Spurs forums and Mavs forums, in 2009 and 2006.

See, I wrote the above before you edited your post with the retard reference. I could edit mine in a similar fashion. Not worth it.

LEONARD
04-25-2009, 11:37 AM
You will notice that I quoted your entire post, including the parts that you reference and did not selectively quote as you did to support your point.

My point actually echoes your 2006 post; the officiating in the NBA is often so bizarre it becomes part of the conversation. Its why betting sites like covers.com include referee stats as important game information. It would be better if the officiating were an always invisible, always neutral factor. But its not.

So we talk about it. On Spurs forums and Mavs forums, in 2009 and 2006.

My entire original post doesn't tell the story, which is why I linked to the thread above...

My picking and choosing in this thread was sarcastic in nature...

Mel_13
04-25-2009, 11:41 AM
My entire original post doesn't tell the story, which is why I linked to the thread above...

My picking and choosing in this thread was sarcastic in nature...

Perhaps I need to adjust my sarcasm detector, it usually works.

Just to be sure, it's OK to talk about the refs, but whining and blaming losses on the officiating is weak.

LEONARD
04-25-2009, 12:03 PM
Perhaps I need to adjust my sarcasm detector, it usually works.

:flag::flag::flag:

*sarcasm*

Just to be sure, it's OK to talk about the refs, but whining and blaming losses on the officiating is weak.

Weak, yes...

Talking about refs is fine I suppose, but when I see people on this forum bitching before game 3 about Crawford, it's a bit much. And then to see people justify the loss because Pop knew they were up against long odds because of the officials, it's just :lmao

Mel_13
04-25-2009, 12:07 PM
:flag::flag::flag:

*sarcasm*

Weak, yes...

Talking about refs is fine I suppose, but when I see people on this forum bitching before game 3 about Crawford, it's a bit much. And then to see people justify the loss because Pop knew they were up against long odds because of the officials, it's just :lmao

OK then:toast

Btw, I've never been on a Mavs board. For MavFan, who is their Joey?

polandprzem
04-25-2009, 12:13 PM

Read the entire thread and you'll see that some got my point, but many retards did not...
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44478

:blah:blah:blah

LEONARD
04-25-2009, 12:25 PM
OK then:toast

Btw, I've never been on a Mavs board. For MavFan, who is their Joey?

Not a clue...I just don't really pay attention to the refs. I know who Crawford and Bavetta are but that's it...

I've spent about 5 min's on a Mavs forum before getting extremely beaten down and leaving...

Mel_13
04-25-2009, 12:32 PM
Not a clue...I just don't really pay attention to the refs. I know who Crawford and Bavetta are but that's it...

I've spent about 5 min's on a Mavs forum before getting extremely beaten down and leaving...

I've always wondered why a Mavs fan spends so much time on a Spurs forum, now I know.

LEONARD
04-25-2009, 12:43 PM
Spurs fans are amusing...

There are a decent amount of Mavs fans here...

MMA forum :ihit