PDA

View Full Version : Hey Pop

timvp
04-25-2009, 06:01 PM
Good idea letting the third best player on your team actually play. Great coaching :wow

mouse
04-25-2009, 06:02 PM
I didn't like the fact the Spurs go for back to back 3s when only down by 5 go for the for sure 2, then worry about the 3, and why wouldn't the other four Spurs players gather around the rim? when your down by 5 and there are only 55 seconds on the clock that next rebound could be the game.

I noticed Finley had a slam dunk you would think they would do it more often?

Bottom-line the Mavs have more stars on the team ,Spurs have a hurt Tim a tired Parker and a very old Finley.

do the math............ its time for some KFC!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/RTM-3/kfc.jpg

xtremesteven33
wtf?

E20
George Hill. Pop must have read ST

myhc
04-25-2009, 06:03 PM
LOL @ POP and the utter, miserable Mason/Hill experiement blowing up right in his face. :lmao

stealthjbravo
04-25-2009, 06:05 PM
POP is a big fat juicy pussy!

Mugen
04-25-2009, 06:07 PM
yeah george definitely didnt look ready today.

the only other player who could actually put it in the fucking basket.

thanks pop.

mouse
POP is a big fat juicy pussy!

So your saying you crave him?

romsho
In a season full of questionable use of personnel, the most glaring was giving up on Bowen and Hill way too early. He basically went Benedict Arnold on his own philosophy...not Pop's best year of coaching.

Phenomanul
Bonner getting more minutes than Bowen hurt us today... especially in the clutch...

mouse
04-25-2009, 06:08 PM
yeah george definitely didnt look ready today.

Once you put on an NBA jersey and cash a huge check you better be ready, why else be on the team?

Hell even RodMan looks good right about now.

SA210
04-25-2009, 06:09 PM
Bonner getting more minutes than Bowen hurt us today... especially in the clutch...

Pop sucked this year, BADLY :bang

Spursmania
04-25-2009, 06:09 PM
When can we get rid of Bonner and half the team? I hope this summer. I need to reread the threads.

celldweller
04-25-2009, 06:10 PM
LOL @ POP and the utter, miserable Mason/Hill experiement blowing up right in his face. :lmao

Not to mention this ridiculous Bonner Love he has going on. What a waste of a starting position. It's actually 4 on 5 out there, He doesn't even try to set up for taking 3's anymore. I am literally getting sick watching this guy out on the court. :( He should be playing in Europe somewhere, not in the NBA. We gave this guy up for Scola? WTH!

baseline bum
04-25-2009, 06:14 PM

Bowen played 9 more minutes than Bonner.

E20
04-25-2009, 06:15 PM
Bowen played 9 more minutes than Bonner.

Bonner sucks.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Damnit LJ, you beat me to the punch...

Pop sucked balls today, Hill getting run withstanding.

* Come out to start the fourth of a must-win game and you trot out Hill, Mason, Bowen, Udoka, and Gooden. WTF?

* Run a set play out of a timeout down 3 or 5 late for Bonner to shoot a three. One, what the hell are you doing running set plays in the last 5 minutes for Bonehead. Two, props. You call a set play for a three pointer and he puts it on the ground and gets called for an offensive foul. What a douche.

* Chucking up quick threes late. It was a five point game with over two play, and you're rushing three pointers like there's 20 seconds left. Stupid.

What a Popdamn joke....

Josepatches_
04-25-2009, 06:18 PM
The fact is that we are a good basketball team in December without Manu.Hill was a good backup PG and Mason was playing amazing and hitting big shots.
But Pop changed all.
And what's up with gooden today??

It's not wrong to say this roster can play a lot better basketball

Dingle Barry
04-25-2009, 06:19 PM
What sucks is that none of the fucking media will ask him straight up what in the FUCK his deal is with Hill. It was painfully obvious he needed to get serious time this series if for no other reason than the experience can't hurt.

mouse
04-25-2009, 06:20 PM
Say what you want, the Spurs had the lead at some point and they had two bullshit calls when they was down by 3 and by 5 that really hurt them. Spurs make those two 3 pointers and this topic would not even be here.
If you don't like Pop or his coaching say so before you know the outcome of the game.
I know for a fact when Bonner hit that 3 you all wanted to toss his salad,
don't lie!!

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-25-2009, 06:24 PM
The only question left is who gets scapegoated as the team cancer that killed their chances in this series.

I'm guessing some combination of Gooden, Finley, and Bowen :rolleyes Even though Pop was the chief fuckup on the sidelines and in the locker room.

SpursFan0728
04-25-2009, 06:25 PM
I think you forgot Bonner Aggie Hoopsfan.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-25-2009, 06:30 PM
I think you forgot Bonner Aggie Hoopsfan.

I didn't forget him. He deserves to be. I'm talking about who Pop/the Excuse-For-news will come out in the media in the days after the season and destroy. You know, the typical 'unnamed sources in the locker room say ____ was a team cancer'.

Sadly, Pop will keep the douche that is Matt Bonner around because he's tall and he shoots threes as some sort of never ending epic fail of an attempt to find a reincarnation of Robert Horry. So it will be one of the others.

I actually suspect that Pop will have his other man crush, Finley, back as well. So that probably gets us around to Gooden (he was a rental any way) and Bowen (he was in the dog house already). Or they might try to save Holt an extra quarter mil and dump Hill as well, so I guess it could be him.

All I know is Pop is a fucking joke and when the season starts in the fall none of Bonner, Finley, or Oberto should be on this roster, but somehow I suspect all three will be. And that pisses me off.

peter_slb
04-25-2009, 06:31 PM
I would prefer Hill didn't play a single minute in this game because now is even tougher to accept that we're 3-1, and that we're almost off the playoffs because of our coach. If Hill didn't play, I would think that it was a bad decision of Pop but he certainly knows better than us if he was prepared... now it's very hard to accept that we've a coach that can't see what the majority of the users of a forum can see clearly.

Play Hill as the backup PG all game, maybe that way we can keep Parker fresh, and still have a shot.

baseline bum
04-25-2009, 06:31 PM
Bonner sucks.

Can't argue with that.

baseline bum
04-25-2009, 06:34 PM
What sucks is that none of the fucking media will ask him straight up what in the FUCK his deal is with Hill. It was painfully obvious he needed to get serious time this series if for no other reason than the experience can't hurt.

LMAO @ Reggie Miller's reaction when he couldn't believe Pop wasn't playing George.

VaSpursFan
04-25-2009, 06:35 PM
all it took was a rick carlisle outcoaching him and a tiny pg from northwestern to make him realize that his stubborness was stupid. pop, with his army background is rigid in his belief of the system will work. however, the spurs have NO IDENTITY now. they're no longer the defensive stoppers, they're not an offensive juggernaut that will outscore you...they're lost somewhere in between and it ain't pretty. hopefully pop will lose his man crush with veterans and actually try to develop some youth next year. this league is all about athleticism now and, sadly, we just don't have much of it.

U.S.A.F.
04-25-2009, 06:38 PM
I know for a fact when Bonner hit that 3 you all wanted to toss his salad,
don't lie!!

:lmao

SA210
04-25-2009, 06:39 PM
The only question left is who gets scapegoated as the team cancer that killed their chances in this series.

I'm guessing some combination of Gooden, Finley, and Bowen :rolleyes Even though Pop was the chief fuckup on the sidelines locker and in the room.

:tu

Borosai
04-25-2009, 06:42 PM
- Finley should retire with his ring (or be the last SG off the bench). Unfortunately, he has a player option.
- Bonner should not start, but can be useful at times.
- Gooden just doesn't fit, but the Spurs need another scoring big, so...
- Mason should only play SG: catch and shoot.
- Hill, Hairston and Gist need a fair shot. I'm almost certain Gist can play SF. A birdie told me. That's youth and D at 1, 2, and 3. Mahinmi needs to stay healthy, but that's fucking depth that isn't being used.

SA210
I didn't forget him. He deserves to be. I'm talking about who Pop/the Excuse-For-news will come out in the media in the days after the season and destroy. You know, the typical 'unnamed sources in the locker room say ____ was a team cancer'.

Sadly, Pop will keep the douche that is Matt Bonner around because he's tall and he shoots threes as some sort of never ending epic fail of an attempt to find a reincarnation of Robert Horry. So it will be one of the others.

I actually suspect that Pop will have his other man crush, Finley, back as well. So that probably gets us around to Gooden (he was a rental any way) and Bowen (he was in the dog house already). Or they might try to save Holt an extra quarter mil and dump Hill as well, so I guess it could be him.

All I know is Pop is a fucking joke and when the season starts in the fall none of Bonner, Finley, or Oberto should be on this roster, but somehow I suspect all three will be. And that pisses me off.

I don't frickin' get how in the world we are so frickin' far apart in the Political forum But agree so damn much in the Spurs forum, wtf? :lol

timvp
Bonner shooting 21% in the playoffs doesn't surprise me at all. When he shoots, especially on the road, I just start hoping the Spurs get an offensive rebound.

Pop invested a ton in Bonner and Bonner has responded by play that would make Hedo blush. But anyone who was paying attention this season saw Bonner was a big game choker. His clutch stats highlighted his lack of clutchness.

I'm not even mad at Bonner. This is Bonner being Bonner.

dollarmenu
04-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Hill will be gone next year, trade or something. Pop doesnt like him because of the "Stuff" he pulled. Gone for sure! They will spin it though.

Borosai
04-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Bonner shooting 21% in the playoffs doesn't surprise me at all. When he shoots, especially on the road, I just start hoping the Spurs get an offensive rebound.

Pop invested a ton in Bonner and Bonner has responded by play that would make Hedo blush. But anyone who was paying attention this season saw Bonner was a big game choker. His clutch stats highlighted his lack of clutchness.

:lol I like Bonner, but it's true. He lacks toughness. Even Sean Marks is performing in the playoffs.

sook
04-25-2009, 06:49 PM
bonner sucks ass. Waive him so we can sign him.

SA210
04-25-2009, 06:49 PM
It's crazy, cuz I hate when Pop gets in his stubborn modes. I hated his small ball in 06, and I think we should have a 5th trophey cuz of that bullshit. I hate what he has done recently. He has sold out big time.

I just don't know who I'd rather have as coach, cuz honestly when Pop IS on his game, noone is better, but am I dreaming when I hope the old Pop will return??????

WTF? I'm so pissed at this fuckup season he created! :pctoss

VaSpursFan
04-25-2009, 06:54 PM

this is what bothers me about Pop, he just refuses to change when the experiment isn't working. Bonner is not a starter in this league and for Pop to think he had a poor man's horry to spread the floor was ridiculous. he's got to get scoring and rebounding out of that position next year and forget the 3.

slayermin
04-25-2009, 06:57 PM
Disappointing. I hate to say it because I like the guy. But Bonner let us down. He couldn't do anything right. Udoka sucked. Hill finally gets a chance but only when we're at the brink of elimination.

I knew the Mavericks were going to be a tough matchup but I thought we had a chance. Like I always say during this time of the year, if the Spurs are the Titanic, I'm going down with the ship.

On to Tuesday...

Spurminator
04-25-2009, 07:01 PM

I saw Pop ream Bonner's ass for passing on a 3 late in the fourth, so the next two times he got the ball, he rushed up two of the ugliest shots I've ever seen...

Dude was fucking terrible today.

Manu on Fire
04-25-2009, 07:07 PM
The Spurs could have used Rodman and Steve Kerr today!

boutons_deux
04-25-2009, 07:09 PM
After Pop said "These playoffs aren't for George Hill", throwing Hill in the deep playoff water really shows how desperate Pop was.

Warlord23
04-25-2009, 07:17 PM
And it's not like this thing came out of the blue. Late in the regular season, Pop's mind-boggling experiment with Mason as the back up PG was fucking us over repeatedly. He had the time to admit he was wrong and get Hill back in. Also, while Bonner shot a great % against the shit teams, his deficiencies on defense, rebounding and shooting were being exposed against the better teams.

Why shorten the rotation unnecessarily and put players in uncomfortable roles?

Why bench the one sub who could guard fleet-footed guards, and get to the rim off the dribble, even as you watch Barea carve you up?

Why continue to run the second unit's offense through a 2-guard with shaky handles, who is clearly struggling and and losing his shooting touch while he's at it?

Why cut Bowen's minutes and relegate him to the bench, when he was the one defender who could still guard 3-4 positions?

Why continue to give minutes to the soft redhead when he isn't doing the one thing (shooting) he could do, and was sucking worse at the other things (D, rebounding) which he anyway wasn't good at?

Mason/Hill in their correct roles were the one reason why we were the #2 seed without Manu. Pop fucked up their roles, sat Bowen and narrowly escaped falling to the # 5 seed, and now one the verge of a first round exit.

peskypesky
04-25-2009, 07:22 PM
all it took was a rick carlisle outcoaching him and a tiny pg from northwestern to make him realize that his stubborness was stupid. pop, with his army background is rigid in his belief of the system will work. however, the spurs have NO IDENTITY now. they're no longer the defensive stoppers, they're not an offensive juggernaut that will outscore you...they're lost somewhere in between and it ain't pretty. hopefully pop will lose his man crush with veterans and actually try to develop some youth next year. this league is all about athleticism now and, sadly, we just don't have much of it.

you put it all in a nutshell. pop's military rigidity is now working against him and the Spurs. and i also think he's lost some passion for the game. could the alcohol be affecting him? i think it's time for a coaching shake-up.

timvp
04-25-2009, 07:23 PM
And it's not like this thing came out of the blue. Late in the regular season, Pop's mind-boggling experiment with Mason as the back up PG was fucking us over repeatedly. He had the time to admit he was wrong and get Hill back in. Also, while Bonner shot a great % against the shit teams, his deficiencies on defense, rebounding and shooting were being exposed against the better teams.

Why bench the one sub who could guard fleet-footed guards, and get to the rim off the dribble, even as you watch Barea carve you up?

Why continue to run the second unit's offense through a 2-guard with shaky handles, who is clearly struggling and and losing his shooting touch while he's at it?

Why cut Bowen's minutes and relegate him to the bench, when he was the one defender who could still guard 3-4 positions?

Why continue to give minutes to the soft redhead when he isn't doing the one thing (shooting) he could do, and was sucking worse at the other things (D, rebounding) which he anyway wasn't good at?

Mason/Hill in their correct roles were the one reason why we were the #2 seed without Manu. Pop fucked up their roles, sat Bowen and narrowly escaped falling to the # 5 seed, and now one the verge of a first round exit.

Yeah, that's a pretty good summary. Pop's a risk-taker as a coach. Sometimes it works, sometimes this happens.

BWS-1994
04-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Didn't watch the game, so I'm curious as to how Bonner and Hill did seeing their names often in this thread.

Scratch that, I think I already know what to expect from Bonner...

Warlord23
04-25-2009, 07:37 PM
Yeah, that's a pretty good summary. Pop's a risk-taker as a coach. Sometimes it works, sometimes this happens.

I don't know if you can call what Pop did "risks". A risk is something that has some chance of succeeding, however small. Pop hoping for Mason to turn into a Pippen-like amalgam of shooting , ball handling and defense was never going to happen.

Fabbs
04-25-2009, 07:37 PM

Huh?

timvp
-Matt Bonner took a lot of flack after his Game 1 performance -- much of it being well deserved. In Game 2, Bonner was very good. Defensively, he played the type of defense he showed in the first half of the season. A deceptively quick player, Bonner's rotations out on the perimeter were outstanding for a bigman. Against a team like the Mavs who utilize a lot of screens, Bonner's quick and on-time rotations were a huge asset for the Spurs. His seven rebounds were also much more than we've come to expect out of the New Hampshire native. Offensively, he drilled a trio of three-pointers and both of his free throws. His missed a number of chippies around the bucket but other than that, Bonner exceeded all expectations and won plenty of playing time going forward.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Didn't watch the game, so I'm curious as to how Bonner and Hill did seeing their names often in this thread.

Scratch that, I think I already know what to expect from Bonner...

Hill was great in his limited run.

The last four minutes Bonehead was on the court, here's what I remember off the top of my head:

* Pop ran a set play out of a timeout for him to shoot a three with Duncan screening. Tim set a great screen, but Bonner passed on the three and started to drive. Plowed over someone and got an offensive foul.

* Next possession, tried to set a screen and got dinged for an offensive foul.

* Next possession got an offensive rebound, then threw away the pass trying to get it to Tony (turnover)

* Missed a wide open three

* Got used as a turnstyle by Dirk on a drive and layup that sealed it for Dallas with less than a minute to go.

Need more?

timvp
04-25-2009, 07:46 PM
Huh?

timvp

He did exceed expectations for that game. He obviously won the playing time, thus his time out on the court.

But is it surprising that he went 0-for-Dallas? Hell no.

kace
04-25-2009, 07:47 PM
Hill deserves to be our backup PG, he's the best thing we have to fill this role.
but i'm laughing at people thinking he would be a difference maker.

i've said many times that i would like more PT for him, but honestly, that wouldn't change so many things for us.

The fact is that we need our offense to stay decent with tony on the bench. and i don't think Hill would allow that in the PO. Manu would. A dominating Timmy being double-teamed would. Hill ? i don't think so.

His most interesting aspect is that he could defend Barea or Terry allowing Bruce to defend on Howard. but with Bruce and Hill together on the court, tony and Tim better be hot on offense.

but since Timvp has a man crush on Hill, everyone on this forum act like if he is the MJ heir. did you forget his 2-10 last game against mavs scrubs.

i like the guy, but we have biggest problems. he could help a little bit though.

kace
04-25-2009, 07:49 PM
oh, and LOL at Hill being our third best player :rollin :downspin:

Warlord23
04-25-2009, 07:50 PM
Hill deserves to be our backup PG, he's the best thing we have to fill this role.

i've said many times that i would like more PT for him, but honestly, that wouldn't change so many things for us.

The fact is that we need our offense to stay decent with tony on the bench. and i don't think Hill would allow that in the PO. Manu would. A dominating Timmy being double-teamed would. Hill ? i don't think so.

His most interesting aspect is that he could defend Barea or Terry allowing Bruce to defend on Howard. but with Bruce and Hill together on the court, tony and Tim better be hot on offense.

but since Timvp has a man crush on Hill, everyone on this forum act like if he is the MJ heir. did you forget his 2-10 last game against mavs scrubs.

i like the guy, but we have biggest problems.

Even if Hill blew donkey dick and went 2-for-10 again, he'd have had 2 immediate positive impacts:

a) He'd have done a better job than the guy running back-up point (Mason)
b) Mason would have been doing what he can do - camp out beyond arc and get some open looks - rather than looking like a deer in the headlights trying to run the offense

Also, Hill would have done a better job guarding the Puerto Rican smurf.

timvp
04-25-2009, 07:53 PM

i like the guy, but we have biggest problems. he could help a little bit though.

Translation: I don't like point guards that aren't French. I turned on Hill after a couple douches said that Hill > Parker so I've made it my vendetta to bury that non-French PG.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-25-2009, 07:58 PM
That 4th quarter sequence was the worst I've ever seen...that 5 point lead by Dallas was easily convertible into a 2-2 series....

I'm convinced, that Pop's greatness as an all-time coach has holes. He has Timmy , Mr. Groundhog day, to account for the credit he receives for the 50 win seasons..consistency...

and it's fpretty obvious in these playoffs, Pop's crunch time/ in game decisions to mount comebacks/and/or to win our 4th quarters in the post-season time and time again have been masked by having, Mr. Manu Ginobili at his disposal.

Now that Bowen is diminished that Pop's defensive adjustments are going all for naught as well.

The players make Pop a better coach, Pop doesn't make the players better. (Mason, Hill, Finley, Bonner)

That said, to be fair to Pop , his tools outside of Timmy/Tony leave a lot to be desired this season...
( I still don't want any other coach than Pop)

Josepatches_
04-25-2009, 07:58 PM

The fact is we need our offense to stay with Tony on the court too.He's not going to made 40 every night.

We can't play that kind of basketball.
If Tony has to tkae 30 shots per game then it means that we had a big problem

kace
04-25-2009, 08:02 PM
Translation: I don't like point guards that aren't French. I turned on Hill after a couple douches said that Hill > Parker so I've made it my vendetta to bury that non-French PG.

you're ridiculous about that timvp. really. you've called me out about hating Hill already just because i found it too much when you said you expected him to be a difference maker against LA.

i can't say it better than i've done so many times: i want him to be the backup PG and play at least 13 mpg (with Tony at 35 to stay fresh). i like the kid.

but you said about Hill:

1) he could be the difference maker against LA
2) he's our third best player (without manu)

i really don't agree about that. he could be part of the solution for us, but only a little part.

but how could i dare to disagree with you on this one ? my bad.

Warlord23
04-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Mind you, Pop actually did a great job in the regular season playing Mason and Hill at their designated spots. The Spurs minus Manu and before Gooden were 43-20 and were comfortably in the # 2 spot in the West. That right there was a COY-worthy effort.

From that point on, Pop fucked up royally. We fell out of the 2 spot and would have been the 5th seed but for a lucky Finley 3 that sent the Hornets game into OT. We finished the season 9-8, and are now 1-3 in the playoffs. So basically Pop has led this team to a 10-11 record in the last 21 games with his fucked-up tactics.

Thompson
04-25-2009, 08:11 PM
oh, and LOL at Hill being our third best player :rollin :downspin:

Based soley on today's game, Hill was our third best. He made the most of his time on the court. After Duncan and Parker, he was the only bright spot. If he wasn't, who was? Mason didn't even freaking score.

DubMcDub
04-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Hill hit two baskets today. Big deal. Finley is still a much better shooter. So is Mason.

kace
04-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Based soley on today's game, Hill was our third best. He made the most of his time on the court. After Duncan and Parker, he was the only bright spot. If he wasn't, who was? Mason didn't even freaking score.

based on ONE SINGLE game, almost all the NBA players could be the third best player of their team. it's meaningless. and Timvp didn't mean only for this game if i understood correctly. and anyway, Bruce was our third best player tonight.

The kid is good. but IMHO, Timvp, and a lot of spurstalk members who dutifully follow his arguments (which is often a good idea though), are expecting too much of him.

but i wouldn't mind him playing more. i'm all for it. i just think it won't change a lot of things if rebounding and shooting stays as poor as it was tonight.

timvp
04-25-2009, 08:17 PM
you're ridiculous about that timvp. really. you've called me out about hating Hill already just because i found it too much when you said you expected him to be a difference maker against LA.A difference maker as in an x-factor. In other words, what he did tonight. I never said he was going to be a superstar against the Lakers. I said that his athleticism allows him to do things that the spot-up shooters on the roster can't do against a Phil Jackson defense.

I don't know what is so hard to understand about that statement.

i can't say it better than i've done so many times: i want him to be the backup PG and play at least 13 mpg (with Tony at 35 to stay fresh). i like the kid.Welcome to the club. That's all I've asked. You act like I want him to replace Parker or Duncan in the pecking order.

but you said about Hill:

1) he could be the difference maker against LARead above. Who do you think could be the role player that could be the difference maker against LA? Please, give me your the kace approved potential x-factor.

2) he's our third best player (without manu)If he wasn't the third best player today, who was?

i really don't agree about that. he could be part of the solution for us, but only a little part.Where have I ever said he'd be a big part of the solution. Today the Spurs needed a "little part" to help out. One role player along for the ride could have been enough. They didn't need a superstar, they needed one offensive role player to play well.

but how could i dare to disagree with you on this one ? my bad.I'm not even sure what you are disagreeing with. Perhaps you will tell me that x-factor which you see as such a superior choice against the Lakers than Hill is. Perhaps you will find a post where I ever hinted at Hill becoming a go-to superstar on this team or whatever you allege.

Chief
04-25-2009, 08:24 PM

* Come out to start the fourth of a must-win game and you trot out Hill, Mason, Bowen, Udoka, and Gooden. WTF?

* Run a set play out of a timeout down 3 or 5 late for Bonner to shoot a three. One, what the hell are you doing running set plays in the last 5 minutes for Bonehead. Two, props. You call a set play for a three pointer and he puts it on the ground and gets called for an offensive foul. What a douche.
* Chucking up quick threes late. It was a five point game with over two play, and you're rushing three pointers like there's 20 seconds left. Stupid.

What a Popdamn joke....

good point, i donīt understand why in the hell with 5 pt deficit with a full minute and some change left that we start shooting 3 pointers. I think the last 5 shots of the game were all 3 pointers.

wth ?!!

any coach will tell u that you donīt start jackin up 3īs if you can get a 2, they didnīt even try going for the 2, tony parker who was hitting everything from everywhere doesnīt even get a chance to get a play ?

if your down 5 and ur the cavs, the balls going to lebron james, if your laker, itīs going to kobe, the best player on the team (or at least the hottest one right now) should be taking the shots , at least he has shown consistenly throughout the game that he can score, i mean hell, isnīt it obvious ??

popīs coaching this game was horrible, well every game this series.

how do we blow them out by 20 in game 2, but then lost the next 2 , itīs the same players out there.

kace
04-25-2009, 08:25 PM
A difference maker as in an x-factor. In other words, what he did tonight. I never said he was going to be a superstar against the Lakers. I said that his athleticism allows him to do things that the spot-up shooters on the roster can't do against a Phil Jackson defense.

I don't know what is so hard to understand about that statement.

Welcome to the club. That's all I've asked. You act like I want him to replace Parker or Duncan in the pecking order.

Read above. Who do you think could be the role player that could be the difference maker against LA? Please, give me your the kace approved potential x-factor.

If he wasn't the third best player today, who was?

Where have I ever said he'd be a big part of the solution. Today the Spurs needed a "little part" to help out. One role player along for the ride could have been enough. They didn't need a superstar, they needed one offensive role player to play well.

I'm not even sure what you are disagreeing with. Perhaps you will tell me that x-factor which you see as such a superior choice against the Lakers than Hill is. Perhaps you will find a post where I ever hinted at Hill becoming a go-to superstar on this team or whatever you allege.

well, really, right now, i can't even think about the lakers.

anyway, let's say i'm a little less optimistic than you about Hill potential positive influence on the team.
I would be happy to be wrong and to see him help us win the next 3 games against the mavs though.

oh, and again, Bruce was our third best player tonight, as usual (with manu's out and when Bruce has playing time).

timvp
04-25-2009, 08:27 PM
well, really, right now, i can't even think about the lakers.Nice cop out.

ElNono
04-25-2009, 08:32 PM
One other thing I don't think it's been expressed enough... going small early in the 3rd, getting murdered on the boards, and stay small pretty much the rest of the way (Bonner out there is pretty much the same as playing small, considering he can't grab a rebound).
Too many mistakes.

Spurs Brazil
04-25-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm upset.
For me keep TD, Manu, TP, Bruce and Hill and dump the rest of the team.
Bonner can't play,
Finley is done, he was done last year but for some reason was rewarded with a 2 year deal with a player option
Mason give us 0 in the biggest game of the season and is only effective when he starts. His D is only better than Finley Trade him.
Thomas and Gooden are MIA in the playoffs.
Udoka is bad. He should know his limitations and stop taking terrible shots.
Pop must be Pop again; forget the O and get players who can play D
We'll win game 5

kace
04-25-2009, 08:41 PM
Nice cop out.

so, the X-factor against LA ?

i've always thought the X-factor theory was an legendary myth invented by some lame journalist to look smart. I don't believe in X-factor players. because the X-factor, if there is any, is a thing you couldn't expected.

so, basically, when a journalist says a player could be the x-factor of a serie, it's a way to write something without taking too much risk.
Like " "this player" could be the X-factor of this serie". if he is, the journalist looks like a genius. if he isn't, well, a x-factor isn't a sure thing, you know, that's why that's an X-factor.

about Hill, i always expect from him (for this year) to take care of the ball with tony on the bench, and providing a decent/good defense, without not too much greatness on offense.

i think he could be the best at it on the team and i wouldn't expect anything more from him.

timvp
04-25-2009, 08:49 PM
so, the X-factor against LA ?

i've always thought the X-factor theory was an legendary myth invented by some lame journalist to look smart. I don't believe in X-factor players. So why didn't you tell me there's no such thing as an x-factor rather going going on an anti-Hill rampage? Now that I've asked for your opinion, you don't even know what to say because you realize *gasp* Hill is the player that could be the x-factor against a Phil Jackson coached team.

because the X-factor, if there is any, is a thing you couldn't expected.

so, basically, when a journalist says a player could be the x-factor of a serie, it's a way to write something without taking too much risk.
Like " "this player" could be the X-factor of this serie". if he is, the journalist looks like a genius. if he isn't, well, a x-factor isn't a sure thing, you know, that's why that's an X-factor. That is some impressive backpedaling. Attack timvp for calling Hill an x-factor and then when the tables turn, insist that the whole x-factor logic doesn't exist. So what were you disagreeing with in the first place if it didn't even exist?

That's hilarious :lol

about Hill, i always expect from him (for this year) to take care of the ball with tony on the bench, and providing a decent/good defense, without not too much greatness on offense.

i think he could be the best at it on the team and i wouldn't expect anything more from him.Yeah, that's basically what I've said about Hill since Day 1. You seemingly blew it out of proportion in your own mind and then went on the offensive to prove Hill isn't something you don't believe in.

TDMVPDPOY
04-25-2009, 08:49 PM
You guys calling out GHILL? wtf.

I give the rookie a pass so far after what pop has done to his self esteem roster minutes late into the season and carried over into the playoffs.....fuck that shit, dudes a defender not a offensive player, so if he does the defense correctly i see no reason why we should be jumping up and down over his lack of output on the stat sheet.

disappointed in mason, finley, gooden, thomas, oberto, bonner

the real blame is pop and manu :(

weebo
04-25-2009, 08:50 PM

What a Popdamn joke....

How the hell is it Pop's fault if a player runs up the court and clanks a three!?

This team as its composed sucks badly. Age has caught up with this Spurs finally! If you want to blame Pop for anything, blame him for putting this team together as it is. Yeah, this team...the same team many in here were touting as the deepest squad in the Duncan era.

Stop with all the Pop hate...the man can only do so much with the crap that he has on the bench. I wonder if many here would be singing a different tune had Bonner, Mason, and Hill regressed as badly as they did since starting off so promising earlier this year.

TDMVPDPOY
04-25-2009, 08:55 PM
That is some impressive backpedaling. Attack timvp for calling Hill an x-factor and then when the tables turn, insist that the whole x-factor logic doesn't exist. So what were you disagreeing with in the first place if it didn't even exist?

That's hilarious :lol

Yeah, that's basically what I've said about Hill since Day 1. You seemingly blew it out of proportion in your own mind and then went on the offensive to prove Hill isn't something you don't believe in.

Ghill did a really good defensive job on kobe, nash, iverson in the regular season as we have all seen, too bad it wasnt shown in the playoffs....call him whatever you want, but his the only one off the bench that actually plays defense.

timvp
04-25-2009, 08:57 PM
You guys calling out GHILL? wtf.

I give the rookie a pass so far after what pop has done to his self esteem roster minutes late into the season and carried over into the playoffs.....fuck that shit, dudes a defender not a offensive player, so if he does the defense correctly i see no reason why we should be jumping up and down over his lack of output on the stat sheet.

disappointed in mason, finley, gooden, thomas, oberto, bonner

the real blame is pop and manu :(

Ghill did a really good defensive job on kobe, nash, iverson in the regular season as we have all seen, too bad it wasnt shown in the playoffs....call him whatever you want, but his the only one off the bench that actually plays defense.

You need to read the thread from the beginning.

kace
04-25-2009, 09:02 PM
Yeah, that's basically what I've said about Hill since Day 1. You seemingly blew it out of proportion in your own mind and then went on the offensive to prove Hill isn't something you don't believe in.

well, let's make it very simple.

you expect good ball handling (better than mase) from Hill: i do too.
you expect good defense from him: i expect a decent/good one too.
you expect an offensive impact from him: I DON'T (for this year).

Emeyin
04-25-2009, 09:05 PM

Someone email this to Popovich.

timvp
04-25-2009, 09:06 PM
you expect an offensive impact from him: I DON'T (for this year).The offensive impact is relative. If the team struggles with Hill running the show, that is a huge offensive impact compared to the utter dismantling of momentum that happens when Mason is running the show.

Hill isn't John Stockton but I'd find it very hard to believe that his ball handling alone wouldn't allow the offense to run smoother with Parker out of the lineup. If you think Mason and Hill would both result in the same type of offensive numbers produced by the team, then yeah we disagree between the different degrees of suck.

kace
04-25-2009, 09:11 PM
The offensive impact is relative. If the team struggles with Hill running the show, that is a huge offensive impact compared to the utter dismantling of momentum that happens when Mason is running the show.

Hill isn't John Stockton but I'd find it very hard to believe that his ball handling alone wouldn't allow the offense to run smoother with Parker out of the lineup. If you think Mason and Hill would both result in the same type of offensive numbers produced by the team, then yeah we disagree between the different degrees of suck.

well, i can only agree about Mason fucking badly the team rythm. you've got a point here.

i guess IF tim is on the court and the offense runs a lot through him , Hill could do a decent job with tony on the bench. better than Mason.

The thing i liked about him is that he doesn't seem scared to play. that's a good point in PO for a rookie, especially considering the shy play of some others role players.

Findog
04-25-2009, 09:17 PM

Every playoff team in the West has to stare the reality in the face that they just don't have the horses as is to take out the Lakers in a seven-game series. Perhaps Pop saw this as an ideal year to mix things up and take risks?

Maj.Gen. McClintock
04-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Kori and LJ knew they jinxed the Spurs by going to Dallas but they still went to game four! :bang

Col. Sam Daniels
04-25-2009, 09:20 PM
Kori and LJ knew they jinxed the Spurs by going to Dallas but they still went to game four! :bang

They better not go to Cedar Creek!!

E-1101
04-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Where would you to asshats be if not for me? LJ Pm me if you need a sip! :tu

Blue Jew
04-25-2009, 11:17 PM
bonner sucks ass. Waive him so we can sign him.
:toast

SA210
04-26-2009, 01:10 AM
Mind you, Pop actually did a great job in the regular season playing Mason and Hill at their designated spots. The Spurs minus Manu and before Gooden were 43-20 and were comfortably in the # 2 spot in the West. That right there was a COY-worthy effort.

From that point on, Pop fucked up royally. We fell out of the 2 spot and would have been the 5th seed but for a lucky Finley 3 that sent the Hornets game into OT. We finished the season 9-8, and are now 1-3 in the playoffs. So basically Pop has led this team to a 10-11 record in the last 21 games with his fucked-up tactics.

SA210
04-26-2009, 01:15 AM
Originally Posted by Warlord23 http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/Style_Templates/DefaultStyle/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3332345#post3332345)

What is Pop's email so i can send this to him?

rogcl1
04-26-2009, 01:29 AM
well, i can only agree about Mason fucking badly the team rythm. you've got a point here.

i guess IF tim is on the court and the offense runs a lot through him , Hill could do a decent job with tony on the bench. better than Mason.

The thing i liked about him is that he doesn't seem scared to play. that's a good point in PO for a rookie, especially considering the shy play of some others role players.

First , let me say that originally I was intrigued by the Mason experiment and what it potentially could bring, but early on it was obvious that it was not meant to be.
But on your point on running the o through Duncan with Hill on the floor , I agree fully. Today ,when Parker sat in the first quarter and Mason took over ,I found myself wondering why in the world with the way the offense looks so panic stricken with Mason in charge and Duncan on the floor,would you ever do any thing other than get the ball past halfcourt and get it inside to Duncan and let him run the show.
I mean I would get on the PA and announce to everyone that when a guy named Tony is out of the game and a guy named Tim is in the game , that we are going to come down and get it to the guy named Tim and let him be in charge of things. No matter who the backup point is. That is what just confused me. In that situation to hell with it. Maybe, just maybe, an occaional high pic n roll with Tim looking for the roll or the pop out, but basically initiate through Tim every time! I mean every time.
PS, I am not a POP hater, actually quite the opposite.

spursfan1000
04-26-2009, 01:37 AM
3rd best player?

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-26-2009, 01:42 AM
How the hell is it Pop's fault if a player runs up the court and clanks a three!?

This team as its composed sucks badly. Age has caught up with this Spurs finally! If you want to blame Pop for anything, blame him for putting this team together as it is. Yeah, this team...the same team many in here were touting as the deepest squad in the Duncan era.

Stop with all the Pop hate...the man can only do so much with the crap that he has on the bench. I wonder if many here would be singing a different tune had Bonner, Mason, and Hill regressed as badly as they did since starting off so promising earlier this year.

Those were called (i.e., set) plays. We didn't need a three. And we sure as hell didn't need captain anti-clutch (Bonner) shooting them.

SenorSpur
04-26-2009, 02:02 AM
I find it funny how the prized rookie, who Pop pegged as "not ready for prime time playoff action" was the only player, besides Parker and Duncan, that played like a veteran. Hit a couple of big shots and played tenacious defense. These rest of the rotation guys (save for TD and TP), played as if they were seeing their first playoff action. They played like some straight-up punks.

Note to Pop:
You can take your finger out of your butt now. Admit it. Your assessment of yet another PG has been about as wrong as the 5-day forecast.

rogcl1
04-26-2009, 02:03 AM
First , let me say that originally I was intrigued by the Mason experiment and what it potentially could bring, but early on it was obvious that it was not meant to be.
But on your point on running the o through Duncan with Hill on the floor , I agree fully. Today ,when Parker sat in the first quarter and Mason took over ,I found myself wondering why in the world with the way the offense looks so panic stricken with Mason in charge and Duncan on the floor,would you ever do any thing other than get the ball past halfcourt and get it inside to Duncan and let him run the show.
I mean I would get on the PA and announce to everyone that when a guy named Tony is out of the game and a guy named Tim is in the game , that we are going to come down and get it to the guy named Tim and let him be in charge of things. No matter who the backup point is. That is what just confused me. In that situation to hell with it. Maybe, just maybe, an occaional high pic n roll with Tim looking for the roll or the pop out, but basically initiate through Tim every time! I mean every time.
PS, I am not a POP hater, actually quite the opposite.

Taking my rambling to the next step ,I will say if Tim and Tony are out of the game at the same time and Mason is the point, then we are screwed. Period.
Maybe just maybe some combo of Hill at the point running pic n rolls with Thomas mixed with going inside to Gooden with Mason freeing up for an occasional 3. Not any room for errors.

SenorSpur
04-26-2009, 02:03 AM
- Finley should retire with his ring (or be the last SG off the bench). Unfortunately, he has a player option.
- Bonner should not start, but can be useful at times.
- Gooden just doesn't fit, but the Spurs need another scoring big, so...
- Mason should only play SG: catch and shoot.
- Hill, Hairston and Gist need a fair shot. I'm almost certain Gist can play SF. A birdie told me. That's youth and D at 1, 2, and 3. Mahinmi needs to stay healthy, but that's fucking depth that isn't being used.

Don't forget Marcus Williams has a good shot a perhaps making the roster next season. In fact, I'd like to see both he and Hairston make it. Let's get this youth transition going full tilt.

Obstructed_View
04-26-2009, 06:46 AM
Every playoff team in the West has to stare the reality in the face that they just don't have the horses as is to take out the Lakers in a seven-game series. Perhaps Pop saw this as an ideal year to mix things up and take risks?

So Pop decided to go ahead and hamstring what horses he had just enough to get whipped by Dallas? The Mavs hit their stride late, and entered the playoffs playing the best and most consistent ball of the year, but the Spurs have shot themselves in the foot in many respects during this series. Manu's absence shouldn't have been a factor.

Kamnik
04-26-2009, 07:08 AM
I am pretty mad at Pop too...

THE ONLY THING I HOPE NOW IS THAT HE CAN SWALLOW HIS PRIDE AND ACTUALLY TRY WHAT OBVIOUSLLY WORKED

Meaning:

-play Hill much more
-play Bonner less (and dont get me wrong... i love the guy, he just doesnt produce)
-play Bowen a lot

Tony Fucking Parker is not a machine and cannot play 48 minutes a game at the same pace!

NFGIII
04-26-2009, 09:27 AM
I have been frustrated by the lack of playing time from Hill. Not just in this series but for the past couple of months. Mason at PG is painfull to watch. He just doesn't have the handle neccessary to perform at that position. I have to agree with the many in this thread that believe Pop's experimentation with Mason and Hill has been a disaster. And we may not have enough time to rectify the situation. I just hope that Pop asmits his mistake and plays both at their apropriate positions.

Not holding my breath or betting the farm on this one.

Spursmania
04-26-2009, 09:28 AM
I am pretty mad at Pop too...

THE ONLY THING I HOPE NOW IS THAT HE CAN SWALLOW HIS PRIDE AND ACTUALLY TRY WHAT OBVIOUSLLY WORKED

Meaning:

-play Hill much more
-play Bonner less (and dont get me wrong... i love the guy, he just doesnt produce)
-play Bowen a lot

Tony Fucking Parker is not a machine and cannot play 48 minutes a game at the same pace!

Borosai
04-26-2009, 10:41 AM
Don't forget Marcus Williams has a good shot a perhaps making the roster next season. In fact, I'd like to see both he and Hairston make it. Let's get this youth transition going full tilt.

I agree. I'm sure I had him on the list of players, but just left him out in that part.

Obstructed_View
04-26-2009, 10:45 AM
I'd say that Hairston's going to be picked up by someone else, but if even Popovich can't see the value of a good defender, why would the rest of the NBA?

E20
04-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeddddddddddd dd rockkkkkkkkeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

timvp
04-28-2009, 09:44 PM
What part of playing George Hill does Pop not understand? Takes him 16 minutes to get into the game when the rest of the offensive role players are sucking azz?

Got damn.

Das Texan
04-28-2009, 09:46 PM
What part of playing George Hill does Pop not understand? Takes him 16 minutes to get into the game when the rest of the offensive role players are sucking azz?

Got damn.

Let's hope Pop just misreads the 3 on Hill's back for a 4.