PDA

View Full Version : Off Season Moves

Daddy
04-25-2009, 06:17 PM
Looking at the roster for next year what are the moves we can make during the off season that we should? Note we do not have a first round pick next year.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm

Pop, Tim, Tony and Manu will all be back what needs to change around them and how should those changes be effectuated?

MaNu4Tres
04-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Trade 3 or 4 expiring contracts for one player that isn't one dimensional.

Mr. Body
04-25-2009, 06:31 PM
I don't see much you can do with this team. No room to maneuver. I guess go for Rasheed Wallace, hope some of the young guys turn out to be average?

Death In June
04-25-2009, 06:31 PM
Well, who is realistically gone next season? KT, Finely, Bowen, JV might retire. Ime's contract expires, so he is gone. I think Bonner will be on the last year of his contract. That's alot of players being dumped. We need a center, sg, and sf. There are good options avaliable at those positions in the offseason.

JoshO501
04-25-2009, 06:32 PM
sign ramon sessions

Bruno
04-25-2009, 06:33 PM
I will wait the end of the season before drawing conclusions and start talking about the offseason.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-25-2009, 06:36 PM
Get rid of:

Oberto
Vaughn
Finley
Ime
Bonner

Bring in 'Sheed, Gist, Ian, re-sign Gooden, give Hill more run at the backup point, confine Mason to the SG position. Bring back PJ to keep Pop's head out of his ass.

Marcus Bryant
04-25-2009, 06:36 PM
Youth movement. Gist, Sanikidze, and Hairston should be in camp. Hopefully Mahinmi has a healthy year so we can see what he can do. The Warrior pick could yield a decent talent. I'm thinking Oberto may be done in SA so there's a possibility we could see Javtokas. The MLE could be split to pick up some decent talent as well. If there's a reluctance to spend around the league the Spurs may be able to pick somebody useful. Of course, there's always trades and the Spurs will have a fair number of expiring contracts.

dollarmenu
04-25-2009, 06:38 PM
The Roster is SET this the the Team we have...

:bang Thats the same shit pop will be spewing. I am so tired of bring in the "crafty" veteran crap. And give an extension to "good guy" players aka bonner,fab,finley. If hes athletic they dont want any part of that. I would look at signing drew at least hes young, he doesnt get punked, hes athletic. Gotta make the bench better, saying all that, gone!

Mr. Body
04-25-2009, 06:39 PM
I can't wait to see Scola in a Spurs uniform.

loveforthegame
Oberto, Udoka, and Vaughn are the only 3 gone for sure.

I'd be shocked if Finley doesn't use his player option.

Bowen will probably retire or the Spurs will choose not to resign him.

Marcus Bryant

The weird thing is, that could happen.

ducks
04-25-2009, 06:40 PM

trade manu for him?

I can not wait for you to not mention scola in every other post you post

Muser
04-25-2009, 06:41 PM
Too early to rebuild, Too little resources to make a trade.

Marcus Bryant
04-25-2009, 06:42 PM
trade manu for him?

I can not wait for you to not mention scola in every other post you post

Free agent in 2010 when the Spurs have like 3 guys under contract.

ducks
04-25-2009, 06:42 PM
trade manu for bosh

manu is better then prince...
and rumors are floating about that

Mal
04-25-2009, 06:45 PM
crap, I like Manu and I don`t blame him for this injury.

Daddy
04-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Ron Artest is a FA next year. We obv could use the D.

MaNu4Tres
Too early to rebuild, Too little resources to make a trade.

We could possibly pull off a trade with our expiring contracts this summer to a team that's in need to get money off the books for financial reasons. Like the Nets or Bucks. One guy I'd like to add is Richard Jefferson.

VaSpursFan
gotta find someone to slash on this team. too many jumpshooters and no one attacking the basket outside of tony.

SpursFan0728
04-25-2009, 06:47 PM
Sorry but can we buy off Finley's player option?

baseline bum
04-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Get rid of:

Oberto
Vaughn
Finley
Ime
Bonner

Bring in 'Sheed, Gist, Ian, re-sign Gooden, give Hill more run at the backup point, confine Mason to the SG position. Bring back PJ to keep Pop's head out of his ass.

They can't get Sheed and Gooden. They have no Bird Rights on Drew, so it's an either-or situation (though McDyess might be another interesting or for the situation). Finley will 100% be back with his full player option for next season.

Death In June
04-25-2009, 06:49 PM
Why can't they get Gooden and Sheed, exactly?

ducks
04-25-2009, 06:50 PM

do you think they would split the mle?

Flux451
04-25-2009, 06:51 PM
The weird thing is, that could happen.

Explain

StoneBuddha

No money... No way those two split the MLE.

Chomag
Bring back PJ to keep Pop's head out of his ass.

This! Even if this is the only thing the spurs can accomplish on the off-season I would say it would be a pretty successful off-season.

Marcus Bryant
04-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Explain

Spurs will have the cap room to match whatever the Rockets will realistically offer in 2010.

StoneBuddha
04-25-2009, 06:52 PM
I will wait the end of the season before drawing conclusions and start talking about the offseason.

+1021... We'd bury the Spurs if they didn't play the string out, so let's hold off these talks until the Spurs season officially ends.

MaNu4Tres
04-25-2009, 06:54 PM
+1021... We'd bury the Spurs if they didn't play the string out, so let's hold off these talks until the Spurs season officially ends.

Take the homer glasses off. Even if we were to miracle our way to win this series. This team simple does not have what it takes to do anything significant this year.

Death In June
No money... No way those two split the MLE.How are we over the salary cap with so many players potentially being off the books? I don't understand. You can sign one for the MLE, and pay the starter about 8 mill.

Daddy
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/1109/nba_g_artest_580.jpg

RA is a FA. He and ex spur Stephen Jackson are known to stick up for each other.

Chomag
At this point though I think I would rather the Spurs re-sign Gooden over going after Sheed. I'm sad to say but I think Sheed is on a big decline right now. Have any of you been watching the Cavs-Detroit series?

Marcus Bryant
04-25-2009, 06:55 PM
How are we over the salary cap with so many players potentially being off the books? I don't understand. You can sign one for the MLE, and pay the starter about 8 mill.

Doesn't work that way. The Spurs don't have Gooden's Bird Rights.

Daddy
04-25-2009, 06:55 PM
Pop did bring in Rodman so don't rule it out. Ron A would bring some much needed D

Flux451
04-25-2009, 06:57 PM
Bring in Gist, Hairston and give that one dude Mahimi one more chance.
Pick up an athletic, above average free agent.
Ditch: Bonner, Udoka, Vaughn and Fabs
Keep: TP, Duncan, Manu, Mason, Gooden, Thomas, Mahimi, Bowen (role model for Hairston) Finely, Hill

Give Hill a shot at PG, if doesn't pan out by mid season look for a better back up.

Flux451
04-25-2009, 06:58 PM

Its over as much as I hate to say it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-25-2009, 07:01 PM
They can't get Sheed and Gooden. They have no Bird Rights on Drew, so it's an either-or situation (though McDyess might be another interesting or for the situation). Finley will 100% be back with his full player option for next season.

This is my pipe dream and I'm sticking to it :drink

To those who say we don't have any pieces... we have 20 million in salaries that expire next season, over 30 if (gulp) you include Manu in that discussion.

Death In June
04-25-2009, 07:02 PM
In addition to bringing in the young guys, I wouldn't feel confident unless they picked up at least two stud free agents at the sg, sf, or c positions. Ben Gordon and and Artest are available. Is that too expensive? That'd be somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 million between the two.

ducks
04-25-2009, 07:03 PM
SPURS HAVE THE MLE
that is like 5 million

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-25-2009, 07:04 PM
At this point though I think I would rather the Spurs re-sign Gooden over going after Sheed. I'm sad to say but I think Sheed is on a big decline right now. Have any of you been watching the Cavs-Detroit series?

Well, the big situation is complicated...

I can't see them bringing in 'Sheed unless they get rid of Bonner one way or another. Perhaps they could send Bonner and something out and get back 'Sheed in a S&T... and then you can use the MLE on Gooden.

Finish out the roster with Gist, Hairston, Ian, Sanikidze, Javtokas, whoever...

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-25-2009, 07:05 PM
In addition to bringing in the young guys, I wouldn't feel confident unless they picked up at least two stud free agents at the sg, sf, or c positions. Ben Gordon and and Artest are available. Is that too expensive? That'd be somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 million between the two.

Outside of trades, the Spurs have about 5.5 million in the MLE they can offer.

Death In June
04-25-2009, 07:06 PM
SPURS HAVE THE MLE
that is like 5 millionAre you sure about that, how is that possible with finely, bowen, kt, vaughn, and ime being gone? And there's always going slightly over the luxury tax. Admittedly, I don't know shit about the salary cap and all the crazy rules, so excuse the noobness.

Daddy
04-25-2009, 07:07 PM
Ben Gordon is Finley a few years ago. Sheed is washed up.

Artest is more of a D minded Pop type of player. And he matched up well against L. James, K. Bryant and P. Peirce. Like Bowen back in the day but he plays O.

SenorSpur
04-25-2009, 07:31 PM
JV, Bowen, Oberto, Finley should and need to all be gone.

That said, here are some possible, unrestricted FA options that will be available this summer:

PG
Jason Hart (Clippers)
Mike Wilks (Grizzlies)
Tyronn Lue (Magic)
Ronnie Price (Jazz)

SG
Ben Gordon (Bulls)
Dhantay Jones (Nuggets)
Devin Brown (Hornets)

SF
Ron Artest (Rockets)
Lamar Odom (Fakers)
Jamario Moon (Heat)
Trevor Ariza (Fakers)
Luc Mbah A Moute (Bucks)
Matt Barnes (Suns)
Walter Hermann (Pistons)
Anthony Tolliver (Hornets)

PF
Drew Gooden (Spurs)
Rasheed Wallace (Pistons)
Chris Andersen (Nuggets)
Antonio McDyess (Pistons)
Josh Powell (Fakers)
Stromile Swift (Suns)
Melvin Ely (Hornets)
Chris Wilcox (Thunder)
Pops Mensa Bonsu (Raptors)
Michael Ruffin (Blazers)

C
Ryan Hollins (Mavs)
Rasho Nestervic (Pacers)
Courtney Sims (Suns)

For purposes of this thread, I left omitted the obvious UFA options that do not make sense (i.e. Shawn Marion, Grant Hill):

Marcus Bryant
04-25-2009, 07:32 PM
They'll probably bring Radoslav back.

clubalien
04-25-2009, 07:34 PM

you mean tiago splitter right?

we traded scola

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Are you sure about that, how is that possible with finely, bowen, kt, vaughn, and ime being gone? And there's always going slightly over the luxury tax. Admittedly, I don't know shit about the salary cap and all the crazy rules, so excuse the noobness.

Next year (09-10) we have:

Duncan 22.1 million
Parker 12.6
Manu 10.7
KThomas 3.8
Bowen 4
Oberto 3.5
Mason 3.7
Bonner 3.2
Fin 2.5
Ian 1
George 1
-----------
Total 66 million (rounded off)

Players whose deals ended this year:
Gooden 1.4
Vaughn 1.2
Ime 1.08

For perspective, the cap this year was 58.6 million, and reports are it will go down next year.

Oberto continues to have heart issues, and some feel he will hang it up. That would clear 3.5 million. Finley will be back (sucks), he has a player option.

So you can see we're already 8 million over the cap, and 5 million more puts you at the luxury tax threshold, which our owner (Holt) will never go over...

The_Worlds_finest
04-25-2009, 07:44 PM
Its not off season yet....

(If moves are not made and we run this team or anything resembling it three years of duncan will be wasted.

pop is no dummy some trades will go down. I dont think they will involve Parker or Timmy and probably not even manu. More than half our team has expiring contracts for 2010, the odds of landing a big time FA are slim to none, the odds of trading 10-15 mill in expiring contracts for some good players are damn good.

On a lighter note spurs should make a run for AI and Wallace! What a sick team)

Marcus Bryant
04-25-2009, 07:44 PM
The Spurs may have enough under the Lux Tax threshold to use their entire MLE if they are so inclined.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-25-2009, 07:47 PM
TP/Hill/?(Williams)
Mason/Manu/?(Hairston)
Finley/Gist/?
TD/Bonner/?
KT/Mahinmi/Oberto

Looking at the contracts and with the 2010 plan in mind, that's the likely roster, and it was by design that we have no first round pick but 3 seconds this year so that we don't have to take on another salary unless one of the second rounders shines.

Then in the 2010 offseason we will attempt to sign a max FA and Splitter.

If you think about it, apart from the Scola debacle (which was mainly caused by the US $ tanking which kept Splitter in Europe), the FO have actually set things up about as well as you could ask: we integrate 3-4 youngsters next year, resign Manu to play out his career with Tim (2 years 16mil or somesuch), then bring in an FA and Splitter. We end up with a much younger core to take over the reigns as TD and Manu fade out. It'll be a bumpy ride until 2011 as we integrate all the youth into the team, but it makes more sense than any other course at this point.

The big questions are:
1) can we resign Manu for a reasonable sum to play here until Tim retires in 2012?
2) will Pop actually PLAY the youngsters the FO is feeding him? It's time for him to become a development coach.
3) who can we lure here in 2010?

PS Sheed is 35 and fading. AI has lost a step would not fit here anyway (too much ego). It surprises me that people still want to bring in old guys ready for the glue factory! Time to go with youth and take a few lumps along the way - old will not win in the NBA any more. It has become an athlete's league, so it's time to go with youth.

loveforthegame
04-25-2009, 07:51 PM

That said, here are some possible, unrestricted FA options that will be available this summer:

PG
Jason Hart (Clippers)
Mike Wilks (Grizzlies)
Tyronn Lue (Magic)
Ronnie Price (Jazz)

SG
Ben Gordon (Bulls)
Dhantay Jones (Nuggets)
Devin Brown (Hornets)

SF
Ron Artest (Rockets)
Lamar Odom (Fakers)
Jamario Moon (Heat)
Trevor Ariza (Fakers)
Luc Mbah A Moute (Bucks)
Matt Barnes (Suns)
Walter Hermann (Pistons)

PF
Drew Gooden (Spurs)
Chris Andersen (Nuggets)
Josh Powell (Fakers)
Stromile Swift (Suns)
Melvin Ely (Hornets)
Chris Wilcox (Thunder)
Michael Ruffin (Blazers)

C
Ryan Hollins (Mavs)
Rasho Nestervic (Pacers)
Courtney Sims (Suns)

For purposes of this thread, I left omitted the obvious UFA options that do not make sense (i.e. Shawn Marion, Grant Hill):

Thanks for the list. I believe Finley will use his player option but we still have 3 open roster spots with Oberto, Udoka, and Vaughn departing.

I like Ronnie Price as a backup point. He plays defense, can get to the basket, and his jump shot is much improved.

Ariza is my dream for a sf replacement but someone like Luc Mbah A Moute might be more realistic.

I like McDyess and Nestervic as pf/c replacements.

I doubt all that can be done but those are choices I like.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-25-2009, 07:52 PM
TP/Hill/?(Williams)
Mason/Manu/?(Hairston)
Finley/Gist/?
TD/Bonner/?
KT/Mahinmi/Oberto

Looking at the contracts and with the 2010 plan in mind, that's the likely roster, and it was by design that we have no first round pick but 3 seconds this year so that we don't have to take on another salary unless one of the second rounders shines.

Then in the 2010 offseason we will attempt to sign a max FA and Splitter.

If you think about it, apart from the Scola debacle (which was mainly caused by the US $ tanking which kept Splitter in Europe), the FO have actually set things up about as well as you could ask: we integrate 3-4 youngsters next year, resign Manu to play out his career with Tim (2 years 16mil or somesuch), then bring in an FA and Splitter. We end up with a much younger core to take over the reigns as TD and Manu fade out. It'll be a bumpy ride until 2011 as we integrate all the youth into the team, but it makes more sense than any other course at this point.

The big questions are:
1) can we resign Manu for a reasonable sum to play here until Tim retires in 2012?
2) will Pop actually PLAY the youngsters the FO is feeding him? It's time for him to become a development coach.
3) who can we lure here in 2010?

PS Sheed is 35 and fading. AI has lost a step would not fit here anyway (too much ego). It surprises me that people still want to bring in old guys ready for the glue factory! Time to go with youth and take a few lumps along the way - old will not win in the NBA any more. It has become an athlete's league, so it's time to go with youth.

HarlemHeat37
04-25-2009, 08:04 PM
here's my perspective..

KEEPERS
Tim Duncan
Tony Parker

That's it..these are the only guys that I expect and want to see on the roster without question for 2009-2010..luckily, we have the luxury of having 2 franchise players..hopefully Duncan can get healthy for next year..

We want you..but we'll listen to offers
Manu Ginobili
Roger Mason
George Hill

I hope we see Mason and Hill back with the Spurs next year, and I expect it to happen..but obviously if a good deal comes up, I would take it..

as for Manu, I'm tired of him..I love what he's done for the Spurs, but I can't deal with his injuries anymore..he has a 10 million $ expiring contract that can be used to acquire some good talent, or acquire a great player on a bad contract..it's unlikely that the Spurs will trade him, but I hope they do..I hope they at least listen to the offers..

Get the fuck out of here..expiring contracts
Ime Udoka
Jacque Vaughn

Vaughn is obviously a given, and he will be gone without question..I just hope the FO doesn't re-sign Ime..he hasn't made any improvements since coming here, and he doesn't give us anything useful..

We would like you to leave, but we'll need to package you all together
Fabricio Oberto
Kurt Thomas
Matt Bonner
Bruce Bowen

These 4 guys are all expiring contracts for next year's off-season..they can definitely be used to acquire a good player(s) on a bad contract, especially with so many teams trying to save up for 2010..

Bowen is the only guy I would take back for the vets minimum and have him play spot minutes once in a while as our 12th man..

We would like you to leave..but Pop would kills us
Michael Finley

Obviously he has a player option..I wonder who's idea that was..

Please get healthy..please improve your J..please show Pop something
Ian Mahinmi
Malik Hairston
Marcus Williams
James Gist

It would save this team a lot of money if 2 of these 4 guys could make the 12-man next year..particularly Ian, since we've been waiting on it..this would allow us to take back a big-name player on a bad contract, and save some money by paying these guys with a cheap scrub contract..

Marcus Bryant
04-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the list. I believe Finley will use his player option but we still have 3 open roster spots with Oberto, Udoka, and Vaughn departing.

I like Ronnie Price as a backup point. He plays defense, can get to the basket, and his jump shot is much improved.

Ariza is my dream for a sf replacement but someone like Luc Mbah A Moute might be more realistic.

I like McDyess and Nestervic as pf/c replacements.

I doubt all that can be done but those are choices I like.

Hill will be the backup point. Kunta Kinte could be a possibility, but then the Spurs would likely use the MLE for him so forget about McDyess. And how much longer does Dice have anyways?

Mugen
04-25-2009, 08:07 PM
trading manu pretty much kills the spurs championship chances in the duncan era.

i just dont see a feasible trade that would get us equal return for manu.

Marcus Bryant
04-25-2009, 08:08 PM
Spurs aren't dealing Manu.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Harlem, try looking at the existing contracts - they are a good guide as to what can and cannot happen next year. For example, we cannot "resign Bowen for the vet min" as he is already on the books for 4mil (whether we like it or not), as are Mason, Finley, KT, Bonner, Oberto (although hopefully he will retire due to the heart condition).

Also, in general, we don't want to turn over the entire team, that is ludicrous. Integrating 3-4 young players per year is about the most you can do and still win enough games to keep the fans happy, which is what our FA has been doing all along, and to their credit doing it well. They are trying to avoid the boom-bust cycle of winning then crashing that we saw from the post-Magic Lakers and post-Michael Bulls by assembling a young core to support TP as Timmy and Manu fade out over the next few years.

Marcus Bryant
04-25-2009, 08:23 PM
Anyways, the Spurs need to replenish the supporting cast, not find another star. It looks like the Lux Tax threshold will be such that the Spurs can use their entire MLE this summer and not go over it. Of course, they need Ginobili to get healthy, which may be asking too much. But they do have prospects and their MLE to work with. I think the larger question is will Pop take the time to work some of the younger talent into the rotation?

Spurs Brazil
04-25-2009, 09:04 PM
1 - We'll win game 5

2 - Win or lose this series. Keep the big 4 + Hill. The rest of the team I don't care. If we can get ride off all those players and bring new guys do it

HarlemHeat37
04-25-2009, 09:08 PM
Harlem, try looking at the existing contracts - they are a good guide as to what can and cannot happen next year. For example, we cannot "resign Bowen for the vet min" as he is already on the books for 4mil (whether we like it or not), as are Mason, Finley, KT, Bonner, Oberto (although hopefully he will retire due to the heart condition).

Also, in general, we don't want to turn over the entire team, that is ludicrous. Integrating 3-4 young players per year is about the most you can do and still win enough games to keep the fans happy, which is what our FA has been doing all along, and to their credit doing it well. They are trying to avoid the boom-bust cycle of winning then crashing that we saw from the post-Magic Lakers and post-Michael Bulls by assembling a young core to support TP as Timmy and Manu fade out over the next few years.

I meant sign Bowen for the minimum after we trade him to a team that waives him, which was supposed to happen his year if the VC trade went through..

I already went through the existing contracts..Manu, Thomas, Bonner, Oberto, Bowen, and Finley are all expiring for 2010..if you package some of these contracts in a deal, there is a very strong possibility of getting something in return..almost half the teams in the NBA are looking at 2010, and we should deal with some of these teams..

I don't want to blow the whole team up..the core of the team will remain intact..this system is completely centered around the big 3, and they will be here next year..everyone else has a chance of being dealt, and it won't affect the team significantly IMO..

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-25-2009, 09:10 PM
The other thing I would start to do is try to play TD/Manu about 60 games a year. TD's knees are degenerative, and Manu's body is tired, so give these guys much more rest to prolong their careers. That would also free up more time for the youngsters. It'd cost us some wins, but we have to think about 2011 and beyond because the Big 3 plus a bunch of old vets simply won't get it done any more - we have entered the era of athleticism, time to get with it.

HarlemHeat37
04-25-2009, 09:14 PM
Well even disregarding the era of athleticism, we would have to get athletic either way..just for the fact that 3 of our big 4 are too old to be consistently dominant at what they do..

Duncan is still a great defender, but at his age, he can't patrol the paint on his own anymore..Bowen can still play great D for 10-15 minutes a game, but he can't do it on his own..

Pop's system is still effective..we ranked 5th defensively this year, despite starting 4 bad defenders next to Duncan..with some young talent to compliment our big 3, our D can easily go back to the top..

Pop needs to get back to the principles though..build with D-first..

TDMVPDPOY
04-25-2009, 09:26 PM
ruff

ginoboli aint fkn worth 8m a season or 16/2 watever you wanna him to resign for, i dont believe in loyalty contracts when he fuckd up on this team for 3 straight seasons with injuries sustain from international duties.

mahinmi im tired of him, and the chances teh team has given him....would prefer to move on but the spurs have invested so much in him they cant pull out cause they want their ROE back.

tiaggo splitter we see how his contract goes with his current team, b4 we pull the plug on him like we did too scola :(:(

sanikidz, gists, hill should be our main priorities now and the future....

barbacoataco
04-25-2009, 09:43 PM
Agree. Manu isn't worth 8 mil/yr. Also agree that his loyalty is to the Spurs 2nd and Argentina 1st. That isn't bad, since that is his country. But the fact is he has been payed a lot of money by the Spurs. I don't think they "owe" him anything. I do love Manu though--- his Auto hangs on my wall. i would think 10-12 mil/2 yr. would be fair.

Also- isn't there a chance Manu will finish his career in Europe? he could make more and work less.

picnroll
04-25-2009, 09:46 PM
Start by getting rid of Bonner so Popovich won't be tempted to rely on him again.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-25-2009, 09:46 PM
ruff

ginoboli aint fkn worth 8m a season or 16/2 watever you wanna him to resign for, i dont believe in loyalty contracts when he fuckd up on this team for 3 straight seasons with injuries sustain from international duties.

mahinmi im tired of him, and the chances teh team has given him....would prefer to move on but the spurs have invested so much in him they cant pull out cause they want their ROE back.

tiaggo splitter we see how his contract goes with his current team, b4 we pull the plug on him like we did too scola :(:(

sanikidz, gists, hill should be our main priorities now and the future....

Ginobili will be interesting - no idea how that will play out. The 16mil for 2 years was just a guess.

You're tired of Mahinmi, boo-hoo. The kid is 22 with huge upside and hasn't even had a shot yet, but you want to give up on him - glad you're not the GM. Big men take time to develop, and he's been injured, so why anyone is frustrated with him is beyond me... oh, no, that's right, because most fans these days are all about the me!me!me, now!now!now!. :rolleyes

Splitter will come over in 2010, I'm confident of that given the revelation that we'll be able to sign him to more than a rookie contract (see recent thread about him).

King
04-25-2009, 09:47 PM

PG
Jason Hart (Clippers)
Mike Wilks (Grizzlies)
Tyronn Lue (Magic)
Ronnie Price (Jazz)

SG
Ben Gordon (Bulls)
Dhantay Jones (Nuggets)
Devin Brown (Hornets)

SF
Ron Artest (Rockets)
Lamar Odom (Fakers)
Jamario Moon (Heat)
Trevor Ariza (Fakers)
Luc Mbah A Moute (Bucks)
Matt Barnes (Suns)
Walter Hermann (Pistons)

PF
Drew Gooden (Spurs)
Chris Andersen (Nuggets)
Josh Powell (Fakers)
Stromile Swift (Suns)
Melvin Ely (Hornets)
Chris Wilcox (Thunder)
Michael Ruffin (Blazers)

C
Ryan Hollins (Mavs)
Rasho Nestervic (Pacers)
Courtney Sims (Suns)

Of this list, I hope the Spurs sign Jason Hart, Devin Brown, Anthony Tolliver, Marvin Ely, and Rasho Nesterovic.

HarlemHeat37
04-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Mahinmi isn't getting paid anything significant..there's really no reason to give up on him..

itzsoweezee
04-25-2009, 09:50 PM
I would like to see any of these guys on the spurs

Ronnie Price (Jazz)
Trevor Ariza (Fakers)
Luc Mbah A Moute (Bucks)
Matt Barnes (Suns)
Chris Andersen (Nuggets)

i'm sure instead they'll sign some washed up 32 year old

HarlemHeat37
04-25-2009, 10:06 PM
I really hope Hairston can add a J to his game, that would really make a huge difference..that's the easiest part to add with some repetition and coaching, so it's realistic to think that he could do it in the off-season..

if he can do that, and Gist comes over, that would save this team a lot of $ to fill a huge need at the 3..

SouthTexasRancher
04-25-2009, 10:13 PM
Looking at the roster for next year what are the moves we can make during the off season that we should? Note we do not have a first round pick next year.

Pop, Tim, Tony and Manu will all be back what needs to change around them and how should those changes be effectuated?

Some way, some how we need to dump Bonner, Vaughn, Oberto, Thomas, Udoka, Finley, Mason and even Hill if Pop is going to be his hardheaded old self and not play the kid. Pop is the best at giving up on players who are not at least 50 years old and it is really hurting the Spurs franchise. Holt needs to set Pop down and thank him for the 4 trophy's but, let him know this is a business and we are on the verge of becoming a Lottery team. Wait! That ain't such a bad idea. David!!! Timmy!!! Who will be savior #3 ???

peskypesky
04-25-2009, 10:14 PM
New coach please!!

Spursone
04-25-2009, 10:18 PM
:bang Thats the same shit pop will be spewing. I am so tired of bring in the "crafty" veteran crap. And give an extension to "good guy" players aka bonner,fab,finley. If hes athletic they dont want any part of that. I would look at signing drew at least hes young, he doesnt get punked, hes athletic. Gotta make the bench better, saying all that, gone!

Much agreed, I don't give a shit if you feed the homeless on the weekends or read books to kids, let's get athletic, young, maybe a little thugish, WIN!

:ihit

SouthTexasRancher
04-25-2009, 10:27 PM
New coach please!!

If the Twin Towers were made of what is in hardheaded Pop's head they would have never come down. Every coach and player in the NBA has figured out Pop and his system. Pop is like another great coach, Tom Landry. When you're in something for a long time it gets harder and harder to change. Pop has had lots of athletic players come through the door only for him to show them the backdoor.

Borosai
04-25-2009, 10:46 PM
Parker - Hill
Mason - Ginobili - Hairston
Bowen - Gist - Williams
Duncan - Bonner
Mahinmi - Thomas - Oberto

- I know Finley isn't there, but I'm hoping he'll decide to spare us and not pick up his option. If he does, Pop needs to get over butt-hurting him and only play him out of desperation (give him the Hill treatment).
- Oberto and Bonner's expiring contracts could be traded for a PF or C. I'd like to keep Bonner too (for certain matchups), but if the Spurs can get a "sure thing," then it's a no-brainer.
- I'd keep Thomas since the Spurs don't have another big with his toughness (needed at times).
- Sign another PF/C in FA. I don't trust Gooden, so I'd look elsewhere first. If they can sign someone (Wallace, etc.) and possibly carry out the previously mentioned trade, I'd feel much better about the frontline next year. Hell, maybe they can get Splitter. Whatever.

Basically, lose the older guys except Bowen and Thomas (defense), bring in some new bigs, and develop the youth. All of them. Pre-season, early in the season, find out who can deliver, how they can deliver. Put them in the best position to help the team. When the second half comes around, they'll be in form and hopefully in rhythm that can carry over into the playoffs, regardless of seed.

ElNono
04-25-2009, 10:49 PM
Parker - Hill
Mason - Ginobili - Hairston
Bowen - Gist - Williams
Duncan - Bonner
Mahinmi - Thomas - Oberto

Those two have to go. You also need to find a replacement for Bowen out of pure necessity. He just ain't going to be around forever.

Daddy
04-25-2009, 10:53 PM
POP isn't going anywhere.

You people are nuts. This team is the suck and he still got it to the 3 seed. I trust him. If we are 1 and done in the playoffs this off season going to be telling though

HarlemHeat37
04-25-2009, 10:56 PM
Popovich is the most respected coach in the NBA by his peers and the players according to the voting..a big reason for anybody to come here in the off-season would be partly due to him..he's made a lot of questionable decisions, but that's the case with every coach..

his system hasn't been "figured out" at all..if you can rank 5th defensively with Matt Bonner, Michael Finley, Roger Mason, and Tony Parker playing D in the starting lineup, I think the system is still great..

Borosai
04-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Those two have to go. You also need to find a replacement for Bowen out of pure necessity. He just ain't going to be around forever.

I know. I mentioned a trade, and I hope Gist can play SF. From what I've seen, he has the quickness to do so, and his size would be ideal.

SenorSpur
04-25-2009, 11:11 PM
5) Be nice to see us grab someone like a G Green who is young and talented and may blossom with the right team, if we could grab him on the cheep that would help our bench.

I love Gerald Green's skills too. He can really fill it up. Super athletic. His downsides are that he plays selfishly, shoots too much, and loafs on defense. He carries himself like he's an established NBA star. There's a reason Carlisle doesn't trust him enough to give him any time.

Knowing how hard Pop is already on young players and how much he prefers players who have "gotten over themselves", do you really believe Pop would ever be interested in a talented, but very raw and unrefined kid like Green?

pad300
04-25-2009, 11:20 PM
1) Keep Duncan, Parker
2) Only trade for GOOD offers Manu, Mason, Hill
3) Do not resign Udoka, Vaughn
4) Trade/Buyout Oberto and Bowen (both contracts have only partial guarantees next season - high value with declining Lux Tax values...)
5) Trade if at all practical - Bonner, Finley.
6) Don't expect any long term contracts brought on between the economic situation, and revelations about expanded possibilities to offer Splitter a contract in 2010 (ie not the rookie scale), I expect the 2010 plan to be still on

Optimally, Players whom we would have afterwards:
Parker, Hill
Mason, Manu, Williams
Hairston, Gist
Mahinmi,
Duncan, KT

Add 3ed PG - Jason Hart for the Vet Min
Add a Big - Javtokas for the LLE
Add a SF or A Big - traded for (Mike Miller, Hedo Turkeyglue, Kyle Korver, Okur , Brendan Haywood. All would not screw up 2010 and have decentish talent, as well as being in the right contract range for some mix of Bowen, Oberto, Finley, and Bonner)
Draft a usable Big or SF

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-25-2009, 11:20 PM
New coach please!!

POP isn't going anywhere.

You people are nuts. This team is the suck and he still got it to the 3 seed. I trust him. If we are 1 and done in the playoffs this off season going to be telling though

Popovich is the most respected coach in the NBA by his peers and the players according to the voting..a big reason for anybody to come here in the off-season would be partly due to him..he's made a lot of questionable decisions, but that's the case with every coach..

his system hasn't been "figured out" at all..if you can rank 5th defensively with Matt Bonner, Michael Finley, Roger Mason, and Tony Parker playing D in the starting lineup, I think the system is still great..

Pop will retire with Tim in 2012, I'm pretty sure of that. The people calling for his head are insane - it's (mostly) not his fault the team faltered this year.

However, he's got to get over his distrust of youth - it's time for the Spurs to go young, and that means he's going to have to change his stripes a little and play the kids.

Spurs need to..
1) Take all the MLE and give it to one player, we need a quality 4th guy. I would like to see Ariza, Artest, R Wallace, R Carney, Von Wafer all could add scoring, athletic ablity and be an upgrade on D.
2) We need to see if we could grab a quality guy on the cheep, G Hill, M Barnes R Swift.
3) Gist must be a spur next year, he would be a great defender and could add 8-10ppg as well as a solid shot blocker from the 3-4 spot.
4) We need to find a way to get into the first round or make that GS pick pay. We need someone who could give us something off the bench next year.
5) Be nice to see us grab someone like a G Green who is young and talented and may blossom with the right team, if we could grab him on the cheep that would help our bench.
6) Fin, Bonner, Bowen, Oberto, Thomas ....your time has come, we need to trade them for a guy like RJ, Maggette, K Hienrich, M Miller, E Brand........any star player teams are looking to deal to relieve cap stress.

If we can do 3-4 of these things we have a shot to win it all next year.

One more thing, go get home court, stop telling us it does not matter........we need to go out and win 65 games and make sure if anyone wants a ring it must go thru SA.

1) Yes to Ariza, maybe to Carney/Wafer (but not full MLE), no to Sheed (he's mostly done, and the last thing we need is another slow, old big) and Artest (no way he'd fit here - he and Pop would strangle each other).

2) We could have had Barnes for the vet min last offseason, no idea why we didn't grab him. Swift is a basketball moron. Hill is too old (we need another Finley?).

3) Yes.

4) The FO traded away our 2009 1st rounder because they didn't want to add another guaranteed salary past 2010 - they won't go back on that now. We get to look at 3 second rounders, lets hope at least one of them sticks.

5) Yes.

6) The team will not add salary past 2010 - that is a fact. They've been working on the 2010 plan since the 2007 trophy, so like it or not they won't change now. They are all signed for next year and will be back. The best we can hope for is that Oberto retires and we find a taker for Bonner/Finley/Bowen. Thomas has done little this series (poor matchups) but was otherwise our second or third best player this year - I like having him around one more year.

KidCongo
04-25-2009, 11:28 PM
Shaqtus.

jmanu20
04-25-2009, 11:45 PM

PG
Jason Hart (Clippers)
Mike Wilks (Grizzlies)
Tyronn Lue (Magic)
Ronnie Price (Jazz)

SG
Ben Gordon (Bulls)
Dhantay Jones (Nuggets)
Devin Brown (Hornets)

SF
Ron Artest (Rockets)
Lamar Odom (Fakers)
Jamario Moon (Heat)
Trevor Ariza (Fakers)
Luc Mbah A Moute (Bucks)
Matt Barnes (Suns)
Walter Hermann (Pistons)

PF
Drew Gooden (Spurs)
Chris Andersen (Nuggets)
Josh Powell (Fakers)
Stromile Swift (Suns)
Melvin Ely (Hornets)
Chris Wilcox (Thunder)
Michael Ruffin (Blazers)

C
Ryan Hollins (Mavs)
Rasho Nestervic (Pacers)
Courtney Sims (Suns)

The Fakers would NOT trade any of their players to us, so all you Ariza and Odom fans need to quit dreaming.

None of those point guards listed seem appealing, and besides, we have a backup point already as long as Pop wakes up and realizes that he needs to play Hill.

After watching the Nuggets/Hornets series, I've determined that Dahntay Jones would be a quality pickup for the Spurs. I'm impressed by the way he's gotten under CP3's skin. He'd be an ideal backup for Mason.

At small forward, I think Moon and Mbah a Moute would be the most realistic options for us. Both are versatile players, Moon a little more so as he can hit the occasional 3. Tolliver already failed here, and Barnes, while talented, has an attitude that would not fit with "the Spurs way."

In the 4 spot, I don't see why we shouldn't try to keep Gooden. He has been a good pickup for us and is still relatively young. Wallce and McDyess are on their last legs, so no thanks there. I've always thought Birdman would be an AWESOME addition to the Silver and Black. He's an outstanding shot blocker and always plays his ass off. TD and Birdman down low would be a tough thing for opposing teams.

I would not be opposed to bringing Nesterovic back (but not for the same ridiculous amount of money that he received before, lol) For all that Spurs fans griped about his lack of aggression, he's probably the best 5 we had after Robinson in our championship runs.

HarlemHeat37
04-25-2009, 11:51 PM
I actually wouldn't mind Shaq at all, but we have nothing to give Phoenix..he's an expiring contract, and all we can offer is expiring contracts..

the only way you'll see Shaq in a Spurs jersey is if Phoenix buys him out following next year's trade deadline, and he decides to sign with the Spurs..