PDA

View Full Version : E-N Spurs Notebook

Kori Ellis
03-22-2005, 02:11 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA032205.3D.BKNspurs.notebook.16005cc9e.html

Rose: Duncan injury 'blessing in disguise'
Web Posted: 03/22/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

NEW YORK — Tim Duncan spent the first of what figures to be several days of rehab by staying off his feet.

Spurs assistant trainer Joe Gutzwiller worked to reduce the swelling in Duncan's right ankle and improve his range of motion. Duncan probably will begin exercising in a pool Wednesday.

"He's a very intelligent person, so he knows that all that matters now is what he does rehab wise," coach Gregg Popovich said. "He's full-bore just talking about what he has to do in the pool and what he has to do to take the weight off of it and get the treatment he needs.

"He's disappointed because he was starting to get on a roll. He knows that's over with, and he has to start over. He sort of changed gears and gotten into rehab mode."

Malik Rose said Duncan seemed in pretty good spirits, in spite of his condition, when he talked with him Sunday night.

"He sounded confident," Rose said. "I think it might be a blessing in disguise. Now he'll probably be even more rested when he comes back."

Welcome back: Rose began his evening trying to calm his nerves. He ended it with a hug from Popovich following New York's 88-75 victory at Madison Square Garden.

"There were a lot of emotions going on in the beginning of the game," Rose said. "All day I was sitting around and couldn't get a good nap."

Almost a month after the Spurs traded him to New York, Rose said he's getting over the pain of leaving his friends and family.

"Time heals all wounds," Rose said. "It hasn't totally eradicated the sense of loss I felt, but definitely I've grown. I feel a lot better now. At first, I was wrecked.

"I have to have time for my old San Antonio identity to end and my new New York identity to begin."

Though Rose struggled with his shot, he finished with 18 points. He and Popovich embraced as they left the court.

"He was out there working 100 percent just like he always does," Popovich said. "That will never change."

Brown ailing: Devin Brown had to briefly leave Monday's loss because of back pain. He was still considerably sore after the game.

Brown injured his back while warming up before Sunday's 110-101 loss in Detroit.

"I just made a pump fake on a one-dribble move, and I heard a (crunching) sound," Brown said.

"A guy like me, you don't how much time you're going to get, so you can't have injuries."

Firing line: Popovich has the second-longest tenure among NBA coaches, but that hasn't stopped him from wondering about the stability of his chosen profession.

Cleveland became the ninth team to make a coaching change this season when it fired Paul Silas.

Silas and Orlando's Johnny Davis, who was fired last week, were let go with their respective teams holding playoff seeds. Dallas also promoted Avery Johnson to head coach Saturday after Don Nelson resigned.

"Maybe the business is even more volatile than I thought," Popovich said. "Today, coach Silas is just as smart as he was last year or two weeks ago."

Kori Ellis
03-22-2005, 02:12 AM
I hope Devin's back is okay. The Spurs can't afford for him to go down too. :(

Dex
03-22-2005, 02:19 AM
"I just made a pump fake on a one-dribble move, and I heard a (crunching) sound," Brown said.

That really doesn't sound too good. :depressed

milkyway21
03-22-2005, 02:40 AM
Brown ailing: Devin Brown had to briefly leave Monday's loss because of back pain. He was still considerably sore after the game.

Brown injured his back while warming up before Sunday's 110-101 loss in Detroit.

"A guy like me, you don't how much time you're going to get, so you can't have injuries."

...wow! what a perfect time of the season :depressed .

Brent Barry you better start making those shots man