PDA

View Full Version : R u more disappointed this year or last year.

bless1187
04-25-2009, 08:17 PM
its funny that i'm more disappointed with the spurs performance in this year's playoff compared to last years, even though this year, we have a not 100% duncan and a injured ginobili. i felt we actually played well last year, so i wasn't disappointed about the loss. but this year, our performance just been shit even with a injured ginobili and a unhealthy duncan.

i was pretty confident coming into the series that we could take on the mavericks even under the injury circumstances. i still this we are the better team, but the play and pop's coaching has just been disastrous which led to the disappointment. i just feel like we are not playing to our full potential. lets just say that i feel like we are fighting a war with our hands tied behind our back. some times it frustrates me so much that pop is so damn stubborn.

1.) our starting lineup- i'm perfectly fine with TP, RM, MF, & TD starting since i don't believe that Bowen is a superior player over RM or MF; but i have a HUGE problem with Bonner starting, since we clearly have Gooden on the bench who is far superior than Bonner; i'm pretty sure that any other coach in this league except Pop would start Gooden or Bonner.

2.) back up pg- Roger Mason isn't that great of a ball handler nor is he a PG. Play G.Hill.

3.) rotations- i never seen a more disoriented rotation in such a long time.

4.) PLAYER OVER SYSTEM, good players are still key to winning. and we are definitely not playing our best player when Bonner is starting.

so this year is definitely the more disappointing than last year for me.

Rogue
04-25-2009, 08:22 PM
I'm dissapointed this year is the last year... I still love the spurs though.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-25-2009, 08:37 PM
Last year - I'm convinced that we could have beaten both the Fakers and the Celtics with a healthy Manu.

This year is no surprise whatsoever, although losing to the Mavs stings... really doesn't matter though, because they aren't going any further than the 2nd round.

timaios
04-25-2009, 08:38 PM
last year - i'm convinced that we could have beaten both the fakers and the celtics with a healthy manu.

This year is no surprise whatsoever, although losing to the mavs stings... Really doesn't matter though, because they aren't going any further than the 2nd round.

+1

Flux451
04-25-2009, 08:41 PM
I'm dissapointed this year is the last year... I still love the spurs though.

Yeah, poor Mavs.

mexicanjunior
04-25-2009, 08:42 PM
This year...mainly because it was more poor coaching that killed the Spurs chances than anything player related.

VaSpursFan
04-25-2009, 08:44 PM
last year. we know we would have no manu so i knew we wouldn't win a championship. i just wanted us to be the poser mavs.

Budkin
04-25-2009, 08:45 PM
We would have gotten crushed by the Nuggets in the second round anyway. Last year we had a 20 pt lead in two games in LA and lost both, plus lost that game in SA on a no call. Plus we lost another chance to repeat last year.

jemanuel
04-25-2009, 08:47 PM
Disappointed from the fact that MANU is not playing...my case closed!!!

peskypesky
04-25-2009, 08:49 PM
last year. but this just adds to my disappointment in both Manu and Pop. Fire Pop and tell Manu no more basketball outside of the NBA.

DDS4
04-25-2009, 08:56 PM
2006 still stings the most.

cheney212
04-25-2009, 08:59 PM
This year definitely because if we get out of the first round then the whole season seems like a fail to me. Also I'm disappointed with Pops coaching and no enthusiasm with this years teams back against the wall. Also with Manu getting hurt so often is pretty aggravating.

TDMVPDPOY
04-25-2009, 09:07 PM
last year. but this just adds to my disappointment in both Manu and Pop. Fire Pop and tell Manu no more basketball outside of the NBA.

yeh that...

FaithInOne
04-25-2009, 09:23 PM
More disappointed in last year.

It's not even close. Last year was to solidify the legacy. Last chance. Didn't happen.

sook
04-25-2009, 09:25 PM
this year. We made it to t he C finals last year

alchemist
04-25-2009, 09:30 PM
This year easily. The reason being is that offensively this team is one of the best the Spurs have had in a while, but the players who stepped up in the regular season fell apart after the All-Star break. With the players the Spurs currently have they should be able to make to the WCF again.

BlackSwordsMan
04-25-2009, 09:31 PM
I can tell a few mods are more pissed off this year than last. They removed the nba forum

Kori Ellis
04-25-2009, 09:33 PM
I can tell a few mods are more pissed off this year than last. They removed the nba forum

??

BlackSwordsMan
04-25-2009, 09:35 PM
I c nathang

BlackSwordsMan
04-25-2009, 09:36 PM
It goes Spurs forum then piston forum

SenorSpur
04-25-2009, 09:39 PM
Definitely this year. Because they made a couple of moves over the offseason, and magically landing Gooden during the season, that I figured they could advance based on matchups. As poorly as they limped through the final weeks of the season, they did nail down the 3rd seed. I certainly didn't expect them to get to the Finals, but I expected them to at least beat the Mavs and get to the 2nd or 3rd round. It was equally as frustrating to not have a healthy Ginobili for yet another playoff run.

As for last year, they did well to get past a tough Hornets team. I really wasn't expecting them to beat the Fakers - even with a healthy Ginobili.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-25-2009, 09:40 PM
2006 still stings the most.

Yeah, just shading 2004. We would've smashed the Heat in 2006, although I think the Pistons might have beaten us in 2004.

Sense
04-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Last year....
They at least had a shot... I couldn't see injured Tim and Tony taking the trophy alone... this isn't a complete team.

SouthTexasRancher
04-25-2009, 09:56 PM
its funny that i'm more disappointed with the spurs performance in this year's playoff compared to last years, even though this year, we have a not 100% duncan and a injured ginobili. i felt we actually played well last year, so i wasn't disappointed about the loss. but this year, our performance just been shit even with a injured ginobili and a unhealthy duncan.

i was pretty confident coming into the series that we could take on the mavericks even under the injury circumstances. i still this we are the better team, but the play and pop's coaching has just been disastrous which led to the disappointment. i just feel like we are not playing to our full potential. lets just say that i feel like we are fighting a war with our hands tied behind our back. some times it frustrates me so much that pop is so damn stubborn.

1.) our starting lineup- i'm perfectly fine with TP, RM, MF, & TD starting since i don't believe that Bowen is a superior player over RM or MF; but i have a HUGE problem with Bonner starting, since we clearly have Gooden on the bench who is far superior than Bonner; i'm pretty sure that any other coach in this league except Pop would start Gooden or Bonner.

2.) back up pg- Roger Mason isn't that great of a ball handler nor is he a PG. Play G.Hill.

3.) rotations- i never seen a more disoriented rotation in such a long time.

4.) PLAYER OVER SYSTEM, good players are still key to winning. and we are definitely not playing our best player when Bonner is starting.

so this year is definitely the more disappointing than last year for me.

No last year was more disappointing simply because with a healthy Manu we'd be defending another Championship. As to this year we have never had it all year. Of the playoff teams we were actually the worst of the bunch even though we were the 3rd seed. We are so damn old and slow and UNathletic, not to mention the fact that we don't have height, we don't have shooters, we don't have length and we don't play smart basketball. Another thing is I have never seen any fire in the belly of this years team. This is by far the worst team we've had since the 1999 Championship. We start 3 players who would not be starting on any other NBA team. All the other coaches have caught up to Pop's style and know how to beat us. When I realized that we were keeping Vaughn, Bonner, Oberto, Udoka, and Finley I knew we would be lucky to get out of the 1st round. We need an overhaul next season and try to get Timmy one last championship before he is forced to retire in a couple years. Just being realistic and I still love my Spurs!

Capt Bringdown
04-25-2009, 11:00 PM
Both this year and last featured Manu and his never-ending health problems, so in that regard, it's a wash.

This year we added some new players but due to poor coaching, they weren't utilized to their full advantage. We've been waiting a long time to have a reliable shooter and backup point guard, and we started to see Mason and Hill fufill those respective roles quite nicely earlier in the season.

But then Pop "the decider" felt the need to put his stamp on the season, and a possible advantage was turned into a weakness.

ElNono
04-25-2009, 11:05 PM
We played some modicum of defense last year. It wasn't the greatest, but it was night and day better than the junk we play right now on the defensive end. So in that regard, I'm definitely more frustrated than last season. But as dim our chances are, I'm still not ready to call our current season finished.

MrChug
04-25-2009, 11:09 PM
I'd like to think that this year we underachieved this year with all the "playing down to the competition" thing we did only FIFTY times and got lucky.

Last year, even with injuries we had Manu and simply underacheived and didn't perform/execute yet TRIED and were optomistic. Never believed in ourselves this year.

DDS4
04-25-2009, 11:53 PM
Yeah, just shading 2004. We would've smashed the Heat in 2006, although I think the Pistons might have beaten us in 2004.

'05, '06, '07 champs woulda had a nice ring to it. I also think the Spurs matched up very well vs. the Heat that year.

I just can't get too disappointed about these past 2 years with Manu being injured. If a small miracle happens and we get past the Mavs, the Spurs aren't going very far after that anyways.

Ditty
04-26-2009, 12:04 AM
i think this year i got to say

i went to a total of 6 games

@houston Lose
LA Win
Dallas Win
New Orleans Win
@Houston W
LA Lose

the most games ive been to all my 19 years i have been in this world

i really concentrated on this team this year because i really wanted to win another championship

look what happens ginobili goes down and if we dont win 3 straight our season is over

last year i never really payed attention in the regular season because i thought the spurs were going to win the championship again and it got really old seriously, and i was in drama with my ex girlfriend so that distracted me, and finishing high school

playoffs i was all about the team i saw about every game i cried for these guys in the playoffs when they lost and the happiest person in the world when they won

i belive spurs we can still win this year

Strike
04-26-2009, 12:45 AM
Last year. Definitely last year. I thought the Spurs had a legitimate shot to down the Celtics. Manu going gimp in the Lakers series bummed me out.

Knowing Manu was done this year before the playoffs started, I knew this year wasn't their year. Even though the Spurs will probably lose to the only team in the conference that I can't bear, it's not that big a deal. Ginobili is out, Duncan's got bad wheels, and Pop failed this year with rotations and playing time.

2008-2009 just hasn't been their year. Oh well.

:flag:

holcs50
04-26-2009, 01:17 AM
Last year more dissapointed because we lost to the lakes and I know if manu was up to par we had a very good shot to beat them. Now if we would've beaten the celts is pure opinion...but we would've had a good shot.

This year though is a TON more frustrating for so many reasons. Our bench is awful. Anyone who thinks our offense is good please stop just stop. Its garbage along with our D. In the playoffs we have a two man team....mason is highly overrated-just a fact-watch him-look at his skills-he's nothing more than a sometimes good spot shooting bench player...finley old...bonner NO fuCKING COMMENT...thomas-old as fuck...udoka-c'mon he's OK at his best...bowen-still can play some nice D but old...Oberto-who?...This is the worst team we've had in a while I think (players combines with coaching). There's no rotations that make any sence, no go to 5 at the end of close games, no bench. This is the result of the FO sitting on their thumbs and filling in old ass free agents over the last 3 or so years. Who is the last relevant player the spurs picked up in a draft/fa/trade? Ginobili fuckin like 7 years ago. All its been is bs fill ins since then. I know you need fill ins but it would've been nice if they could've found someone in that time to help tp/td/bowen/gino significantly. If i were parker and after this season ends I would go in and be like "look timmy only has like 2 more legit years-you want to do something this offseason that gives us a legitimate good shot??? Or do you guys just want to waste his last two years?" Teams are getting better while we are sitting in the same place or getting worse:nope:bang

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-26-2009, 01:25 AM
'05, '06, '07 champs woulda had a nice ring to it. I also think the Spurs matched up very well vs. the Heat that year.

I just can't get too disappointed about these past 2 years with Manu being injured. If a small miracle happens and we get past the Mavs, the Spurs aren't going very far after that anyways.

Making the 2nd round was going to be overachieving for this team once Manu went down for good, and considering the late-season shooting and rotation struggles. It was pretty obvious during the stretch run that we weren't going anywhere this year.

I think people often forget just how many things have to click to win a trophy. Not only does your team have to peak at the right time (no SPAM this year), but you have to be healthy going into the playoffs (Manu out, Tim at 70%, TP tired from carrying the team) and stay that way, you need your shooters to knock down their open looks, you need a bit of misfortune for other teams (in 2003 Dirk did his ankle, in 2007 the Mavs were knocked out before we had to face them, and the Suns self-destructed), and you need the odd bounce of the ball or super-performance from a role player (like Horry in Game 5 of the 2005 Finals). Getting a ring takes the confluence of many factors both within a team's control, and beyond it. The Force was not with us this year.

Avitus1
04-26-2009, 01:51 AM
Tough call. I feel worse about last year though cause we were much closer to a championship and our first repeat. However this season was really tough and hard to watch and should it end, which I hope we are able to prevent with a miracle, it will be something to put behind us.

spursbird
04-26-2009, 02:21 AM
Last year. We're 'much' younger this year.

SPURSGOAT
04-26-2009, 02:25 AM
last year; cuz of Ginobli's injury... we could have beat the Lakers with Ginobli... the Celtics I think would have been tougher though...