PDA

View Full Version : The View From The Other Side: Mavs Are In Control Of Series

duncan228
04-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Dallas Mavericks are in control of series (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/042609dnspocowlishaw.3564194.html)
Tim Cowlishaw
Dallas Morning News

It's hard to think that the craziest of all the NBA's first-round series is anything but over.

The San Antonio Spurs get 68 points from Tim Duncan and Tony Parker Saturday in Game 4.

Not enough.

The Dallas Mavericks get 22 points on 7-of-26 shooting from Dirk Nowitzki and Jason Terry.

More than plenty.

The Mavericks gained firm control of the series with a 99-90 victory to take a 3-1 lead heading back to San Antonio on Tuesday.

Maybe the Spurs win that game because it's their home floor and a team with a championship pedigree still has some pride. Or maybe they win because Duncan goes off on Ryan Hollins after Hollins got a technical Saturday for taunting Duncan after a dunk.

Taunting Tim Duncan, Ryan? Really?

Regardless, the Spurs aren't going to suddenly find the weapons they need to complement their big two, forced to play without Manu Ginobili. And the Mavericks? They can find points all over the place.

"We're missing Manu, and that's a big part of what we do offensively," Parker said, after pouring in 43 points in 41 minutes. "They have a lot more weapons than us. Our focus is limiting Dirk and Jason Terry, and overall we're doing good.

"But it's the other guys that are killing us."

On Saturday, those other guys were led by Josh Howard, who had a great explosive game with 28 points. Eleven of those points came at the foul line, which tells you that Howard was slashing his way to the rim, the thing he does best.

"What he brings to our team is not replaceable," Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle said.

J.J. Barea continues to hit key shots. He and Antoine Wright each had nine points. Even Erick Dampier had 10. And Jason Kidd hit three 3s to total 17 points to go with seven rebounds and seven assists.

"Other guys have picked up for Dirk as much as we leaned on him all season," Kidd said. "People can say Dirk isn't scoring enough, but I think he's playing the game the right way. I don't think he has to score 30 for us to win, and you see that in this series."

Thirty? Heck, his high game is 20. Double-teamed almost constantly, Nowitzki is averaging 16.2 points. If that happens in any playoff series in recent memory, the Mavericks lose.

But the Mavericks' defense in the last two games was very good, even if they let Parker go a little crazy in the first half Saturday with 31 points. The Spurs are getting no contributions from others.

Roger Mason, a starter much of the season who had a 23-point game against Dallas during the regular season, was a total liability Saturday. In 17 minutes, Mason got no points, one rebound, one assist, two turnovers and three fouls.

The Spurs not named Duncan or Parker shot 6-for-28. Under no circumstances is that going to give San Antonio a chance to win.

"We did a lot of things we wanted to do," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "They made 3s, and we didn't. They made free throws, and we didn't. That's the game."

And this is the end for San Antonio maybe Tuesday but for sure by Friday.

To paraphrase Rick Pitino when he was Celtics coach, Manu Ginobili's not walking through that door. Parker may be at the peak of his career, but we can see Duncan is beyond it.

And some of their teammates who need to be stepping up the way the Mavericks' supporting cast has gotten it done in this series just aren't capable of making it happen.

Udokafan05
04-25-2009, 10:56 PM
Cowlishaw has always hated the spurs, and this dumb article enforces his stance. I bet he said the same thing in 05 and 07 also.

Mavzy45
04-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Cowlishaw has always hated the spurs, and this dumb article enforces his stance. I bet he said the same thing in 05 and 07 also.

Actually, it looks like Cowlishaw only wrote what I've been reading from most of the Spurs fans. That the only Spurs players that performed were Duncan and Super Parker, the rest of the cast pretty much sucked.

Udokafan05
04-25-2009, 11:25 PM
Actually, it looks like Cowlishaw only wrote what I've been reading from most of the Spurs fans. That the only Spurs players that performed were Duncan and Super Parker, the rest of the cast pretty much sucked.

He also said they have no chance of still winning the series, disrespecting the most successfull franchise in sports the last decade.

Mavzy45
04-25-2009, 11:51 PM
He also said they have no chance of still winning the series, disrespecting the most successfull franchise in sports the last decade.

I wouldn't have said no chance (hell look what we pissed away against Miami in the finals), but even with our history of choking...with the Spurs supporting cast this year...you've gotta admit, the chances are slim

duncan228
04-25-2009, 11:58 PM
Team effort taking burden off Nowitzki (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/042609dnspomoore.3d67cc2.html)
David Moore
Dallas Morning News

Dirk Nowitzki has shouldered his load without complaint.

He's dealt with the incomparable pressure of knowing the Mavericks had no chance to win a playoff series if he wasn't at his best.

Now, he sees there's another way.

Liberating? Sure. It also has profound significance on this team as it moves forward.

And this team will move forward. Nothing San Antonio can do now will keep the Mavericks out of the second round.

Think back to the first-round loss to Golden State two years ago. The more former coach Avery Johnson raved about Baron Davis, the more he talked about his will to win and how true stars put teams on their back, the bigger indictment it was of Nowitzki.

There is no need to point fingers at Nowitzki in this series because the Mavericks have a 3-1 lead. The players have picked up the offensive slack. They've got his back after he's had theirs for so many years.

Don't look now, but a team is coming together before our eyes.

"Guys are selling out for one another," forward Josh Howard said. "It's about us, these guys in the locker room. We put everything aside and are just going out there to play."

It's not just offense. The Mavericks won for the first time all season Saturday when shooting less than 40 percent from the field. Who made a key defensive play late by taking a charge?

Nowitzki.

"This is probably the best we've done all season in the sense of sharing the ball," Jason Kidd said. "Defensively, we're out there scrambling. Everyone is covering for each other."

This is Nowitzki's team. He can't hide from that – and doesn't want to. But not every lost series should be laid at his feet. It would be nice once in a while if he's allowed to be human and the Mavericks still win.

That's about to happen.

nsrammstein
04-26-2009, 12:05 AM
Tim Cowlishaw is just writing down facts....The sperms fans are clearly bitter that the Dallas Mavericks have lodged a 2 headed black dildo inside the spurs saggy old vagina

duncan228
04-26-2009, 12:08 AM
I posted this in another thread but I think it belongs here.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp%20duncan/4-25-0922.jpg

Mavericks' Hollins not thin on attitude (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/042609dnspomavsdate.3b3d1cd.html)
By Eddie Sefco / The Dallas Morning News

The list of physically imposing big men that Ryan Hollins has muscled up to this season now includes Tim Duncan.

Who'd have thought "Thin" would beat Tim?

Hollins, the Mavericks' bounce-off-the-walls backup center who seems to be all arms and legs on the court, was a catalyst at both ends in the second half Saturday.

In 18 minutes, Hollins had eight rebounds, three blocks and a dunk, on which he got called for a technical foul for taunting Duncan.

Small price to pay. The charge he gave the team and the crowd was worth it.

"He oozes energy," coach Rick Carlisle said.

And he does it against anybody, even players who outweigh him by 50 or 100 pounds. He was called on to play Yao Ming and Shaquille O'Neal late in the season and did so with commendable results.

"We knew coming into this that the way he played Shaq, the way he played Yao in our last regular-season game, the way he played [Orlando's Dwight] Howard down there late in the year, that he was going to be a guy we have to count on for some stretches," Carlisle said. "And he's delivered for us."

Hollins carries 230 pounds on his 7-foot frame, but he also is quicker than all the centers he faces, especially Duncan, who has been fighting balky knees.

"It was a change of pace, and I don't think he was ready for my energy," Hollins said. "He was like, 'Whoa, hold up, young fellow.' So Damp beats him up and I just try to come in and bring that energy and athleticism."

Duncan was complimentary of Hollins' play ("he's very athletic and was all over the place"), but Tony Parker didn't think much of his taunting.

"Young guys," Parker said. "Taunt Tim Duncan? He's got four championships. He doesn't care."

duncan228
04-26-2009, 12:23 AM
Dallas Mavericks-San Antonio Spurs: Game 4 replay (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/042609dnsporeplay.3d664d1.html)
From Staff Reports

This tired plan works

The Mavericks may have hit on the formula.

Exhaustion. Let Parker run himself into the ground in the first half, then see what he has left in the second.

Parker was held to 12 points in the second half with no assists. The Mavericks outscored the Spurs 23-7 when Parker was on the bench, which makes it hard for coach Gregg Popovich to take him out.

There is nothing the Mavericks can do physically with Parker. But they can manage the situation.

Defending Tony Parker

Game 4

Assists: 3

Shooting pct.: 62.1%

Burning questions

Can the Mavericks lose this series?

Let me answer that with another question.

Are you kidding?

Now you know why the Mavericks wanted to meet San Antonio in the first round. The Mavericks are clearly the better team.

These aren't your father's Spurs. San Antonio has the pride but not the firepower needed to come back.

Does anyone other than Parker and Duncan play for the Spurs?

It doesn't look like it.

Global warming had a chance to reverse itself Saturday afternoon before someone other than Tony Parker or Tim Duncan scored from the field. The Spurs went more than 2 ½ quarters – a span of 30:37 – with no one other than Parker and Duncan with a field goal.

What happened to the Spurs' 3-point shooting?

If Parker and Duncan combine for 68 points, so be it. The Mavericks have made the commitment to stay on the Spurs' long-range shooters.

After opening the series 11-of-14, San Antonio has been an anemic 15-of-58 from 3-point range. That's 25.8 percent, for those who don't have a calculator handy.

David Moore

timaios
04-26-2009, 12:53 AM
Great, the Dallas writers are all excited because the Mavs won 3 games against a really poor Spurs team... and by team, i mean 2 players.
Good luck for the 2nd round against a real team with 8 or 10 players. :toast