PDA

View Full Version : Sheed or Dice?

bdubya
04-26-2009, 10:21 AM
Wondering where the Spurs fans stand on this.....with a major retooling looming in Detroit, there's a strong chance that both Rasheed Wallace and Antonio McDyess will be available (and affordable). Who would you rather see paired with Duncan in SA?

TheProfessor
04-26-2009, 10:33 AM
Conventional wisdom would say 'Sheed because he stretches the floor more effectively. But, as some have noted, his production is sliding, especially field goal percentage. Whether that's do to physical decline or apathy, I'm not sure. McDyess is the same age, averages almost a double-double, and might sign on for a shorter contract/less money if he thought San Antonio could return to the promise land. Also, Rasheed's got his ring, and McDyess desperately wants one. An interesting choice to make if the Spurs are looking at both.

EricB
04-26-2009, 10:36 AM
McDyess I would be 100% for.

Sheed? only about 40% for.

iilluzioN
04-26-2009, 11:09 AM
nither,

We need young people, not old.

biziofromdowntown
04-26-2009, 11:11 AM
McDyess or...Big Ben Wallace

no way Sheed

Agloco
04-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Wondering where the Spurs fans stand on this.....with a major retooling looming in Detroit, there's a strong chance that both Rasheed Wallace and Antonio McDyess will be available (and affordable). Who would you rather see paired with Duncan in SA?

How about.....

Both, since they'll be available and affordable according to what you say.

Sheed for Bonner

McDyess for Fabbs

Keep Thomas another season.

arodz
04-26-2009, 11:55 AM
Sheed o Dyce???? God Damn, aren't we old enough???

Marcus Bryant
04-26-2009, 12:03 PM
Neither.

urunobili
04-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Dice

Spursmania
04-26-2009, 12:12 PM
The geriatric team, here we go again:lol

blademaster
04-26-2009, 12:12 PM
There would be no trade for them silly rabbit they both have expiring contracts.

Ditty
04-26-2009, 12:15 PM
both

there old but they can still play

iilluzioN
04-26-2009, 12:17 PM
omg, we should give more MINS to younger players! lets build around Tony Parker!

rogcl1
04-26-2009, 12:20 PM

Neither, They are doing wonders for Detroit against the Cavs aren't they.If they were signed then all could bemoan the too old Spurs getting older. Think younger.
Maybe ,just maybe Sheed for the minimum and a one year deal , but he thinks far more of himself than that.

I Love Me Some Me
04-26-2009, 12:58 PM
Finish the Camby trade.

TheProfessor
04-26-2009, 01:02 PM
If anyone has any better young frontcourt players available in free agency for the MLE or less, feel free to let us know.

Agloco
04-26-2009, 01:37 PM
There would be no trade for them silly rabbit they both have expiring contracts.

I assume you are referring to my post since I stated Sheed for Bonner and Dice for Fabs......

I suppose that warrants clarification. I meant cut Fabs and Bonner and replace them with the other two.

Hemotivo
04-26-2009, 01:40 PM
both

spurtech09
04-26-2009, 01:41 PM
sheed

DAF86
04-26-2009, 01:56 PM
I can't bealive so many people are saying neither. We'd have a young big in Mahinmi next season, so I think another experienced and talented big won't hurt us. And from the two I'd obviously like to have Wallace, he not only has a 3 point shot, he also has a post up game and the thing that I care the most: a defensive presence. I don't think he's washed up, IMO he's unmotivated.

itzsoweezee
04-26-2009, 01:57 PM
oh god, no. make this old and unathletic team older and even less athletic? awesome idea!

Thompson
04-26-2009, 02:09 PM
oh god, no. make this old and unathletic team older and even less athletic? awesome idea!

Wallace and Mcdyess (sp?) are more athletic (and I believe longer) than Thomas, Oberto, and Bonner.

Spurs_9_20_21
04-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Dice, he is still good.

Agloco
04-26-2009, 02:19 PM

Uh.....

How is replacing Bonner and Fabs with Dice and Sheed making them less athletic?

Agloco
04-26-2009, 02:25 PM
I can't bealive so many people are saying neither. We'd have a young big in Mahinmi next season, so I think another experienced and talented big won't hurt us. And from the two I'd obviously like to have Wallace, he not only has a 3 point shot, he also has a post up game and the thing that I care the most: a defensive presence. I don't think he's washed up, IMO he's unmotivated.

+1

I've been saying this in response to people who are posting that non-sense about him being over the hill. You can see that he realizes the Pistons are heading into an abyss, or are there already.

A fresh start would bring out that beast we saw in 2004 again.

50Bestspurever
04-26-2009, 02:25 PM
I don't give a shit if the talent the spurs acquire is young or old! Just give timmy help. You ride that timmy train into the ground, every year duncan is on the spurs is a chance for the spurs to win a championship. Once timmy is gone, unless a ping-pong miracle happens again, it is going to be a long time that we are going to see the finals.

HarlemHeat37
04-26-2009, 02:26 PM
Both 'Sheed and Dice at their old age are more athletic than Bonner was in his "physical prime", whenever that was..

If Ian can come in and be our athletic defensive big, and we sign Gooden to be reasonable price..I would take one of these guys if they sign a 1-year deal for cheap..so I don't know how likely that would be, it depends on the interest from other teams..I don't see anybody being interested in 'Sheed, other than the Spurs, Celtics, and Cavs..

baseline bum
04-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Probably Sheed.

bless1187
04-26-2009, 02:52 PM
how bout just resigning gooden rather then sign another 34 yr older to our already league oldest age average team.

DAF86
04-26-2009, 02:53 PM
how bout just resigning gooden rather then sign another 34 yr older to our already league oldest age average team.

'Cause Gooden isn't half the player Rasheed is.

rogcl1
04-26-2009, 03:47 PM
+1

I've been saying this in response to people who are posting that non-sense about him being over the hill. You can see that he realizes the Pistons are heading into an abyss, or are there already.

Turn the clock back five years at his age? I don't think so.
I am not saying that I would not take him for the right price and contract length ,but if your reasoning is correct and he has quit on the Pistons why would we want him. They are a playoff team. If he quit on them why wouldn't he quit on us if things got tough. I just don't buy into that reasoning totally. I think he would be a risk . So it would have to be a cheap ,short contract and certainly not expecting the player of 2004.

ducks
04-26-2009, 03:51 PM
depends on years on gooden and dice and sheed

Thomas82
04-26-2009, 04:20 PM
I don't give a shit if the talent the spurs acquire is young or old! Just give timmy help. You ride that timmy train into the ground, every year duncan is on the spurs is a chance for the spurs to win a championship. Once timmy is gone, unless a ping-pong miracle happens again, it is going to be a long time that we are going to see the finals.

That's what I have been saying the whole time.

TheProfessor
04-26-2009, 04:27 PM
McDyess making a better argument for himself today. But hey, Rasheed stopped caring a while ago.

Lp26
04-26-2009, 04:33 PM
You guys should go for Sheed. He's injured right now; mentally and otherwise. When he was healthy and motivated he looked fantastic this year defensively and was hitting 3's at a nice clip.

Your coach isn't stupid enough to play him 40 minutes a game and he will be able to keep him in check. More than anything, agreeing with the philosophy of the team and winning will bring out the best in him.

Dice is not really what you need IMO. However, he will help you on the boards.

fotan2
04-26-2009, 04:37 PM
Dice has mid-range j
sheed generates his own offence but low percentage
difficult decision

eh, excuse me . can we take Hamilton ?

ATXSPUR
04-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Sheed. Easily. And for all the "we need to get younger" crowd. Well guess what? We fucked that up in the Duncan era. We should have started that mission right after the 06 mavs series. But now it would be poor repayment to Tim to surround him with a whole brand new cast with no experience in his last few years. Our only hope for another ship in the Duncan era is to pull a superstar veteran (and by veteran I don't mean someone who has obviously been past his prime for 5 years now like finley) like Sheed and hope he has enough in the tank to get us one more ship.

Lets face it...the youth movement isn't starting until after Timmy retires. So you may as well get used to some hard years ahead. Even though I wont complain. Who would have thought after MJ retired (the second time) that ten years later the Spurs would have the fourth most ships in NBA history and be arguably the third best franchise in NBA history? We have had a good run but it's about over. We all knew this day would come but it is still hard.

Lp26
04-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Dice has mid-range j
sheed generates his own offence but low percentage
difficult decision

eh, excuse me . can we take Hamilton ?

Sheed will stretch the floor, and still demands attention in the post. Dice will give you the mid range, but he doesn't really like to post us much.

And

No. :lol

La Peace
04-26-2009, 04:43 PM
They are definitely upgrades from the other front court players on the spurs.

But what the spurs need to do with their money is straight up sign a New Piece. A straight up stud. Any less isnt enough.

Duncan2177
04-26-2009, 04:43 PM
The spurs FO is going to be busy this summer, The FO has some work to do.

SouthTexasRancher
04-26-2009, 05:07 PM

Neither. We need to get younger and more athletic. Enough with pulling players out of the Old Folks Retirement Center. A healthy Drew Gooden is better for us than either Wallace or McDyess. We need a true backup Point Guard and a true Center.

DAF86
04-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Neither. We need to get younger and more athletic. Enough with pulling players out of the Old Folks Retirement Center. A healthy Drew Gooden is better for us than either Wallace or McDyess. We need a true backup Point Guard and a true Center.

Gooden isn't half the player Rasheed is.

Muser
04-26-2009, 05:11 PM
Either of them, as long as it means less matt freakin' bonner.

LakerHater
04-26-2009, 05:11 PM
Niether!

SouthTexasRancher
04-26-2009, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by DAF86 http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/Style_Templates/Flashskin/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3334668#post3334668)
Gooden isn't half the player Rasheed is.

To each his own. We don't need a cancer like Wallace on this team. We need youth and athleticism not a migraine headache. But, knowing Pop none of the 3 will be a Spur next season. He'll go find some 50 year olds who can shoot worth a damn.

DAF86
04-26-2009, 05:25 PM
To each his own. We don't need a cancer like Wallace on this team. We need youth and athleticism not a migraine headache. But, knowing Pop none of the 3 will be a Spur next season. He'll go find some 50 year olds who can shoot worth a damn.

Wallace has never been a cancer.

SouthTexasRancher
04-26-2009, 05:25 PM
You all fools stop with the 6-9 center talk, God some people cant see the spurs biggest problem is we are to small up front!

Who is talking about a 6'9" center? I'm talking about forwards. Maybe learn some English while you're at it. Pay attention!!!

Spurs Brazil
04-26-2009, 05:37 PM
Neither

We need a good wing

SouthTexasRancher
04-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Wallace has never been a cancer.

Did you just start watching the NBA this year???????????????????? Maybe get yourself informed just a little bit.

DAF86
04-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Did you just start watching the NBA this year???????????????????? Maybe get yourself informed just a little bit.

I know he gets T'ed a lot, but tell me of a real ocasion where you can trully say: "Look there's Wallace beign a cancer!"

Big P
04-26-2009, 06:05 PM
No more old players.

himat
04-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Sheed can get frustrating, but after having him on the Pistons for the last 4 years he is honestly one of a kind in the NBA. You will never see such a great player on and off the court. He is unique.

Both Sheed and Dice are great. I hope you guys can get one of them or maybe even both because they would help Tim Duncan SO MUCH!

Sheed is old but he still has great defense. The problem is that he is too slow to help cover for other people anymore, but that shouldn't be a concern when he has Tim Duncan with him. If you think Wallace X2 was great than this combination will be even better. A little less intimidating on defense but on offense it would be much better.

Dice is old but he wants the ring so bad that almost nothing slows him down in the playoffs. We got swept but Dice kept leaving his heart on the floor. During playoff time he would give you miraculous O-boards and clutch jumpshooting.

I hope you guys get them. Pistons cant offer them much anymore.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-26-2009, 06:08 PM

Neither. Just what we need, another 35 year old on the team... :rolleyes

meestahmeestah
04-26-2009, 06:26 PM

that beast has 5 more years of tread on the tires.

I think the Spurs FO would be best off tossing out all those scouting reports and mock drafts from the late 90s. there's been a draft or two in between the times when Wallace or McDyess were impact players.

mrs.purss
04-26-2009, 07:07 PM
No more has beens. Look at what all the has beens have been doing for us lately.

smrattler
04-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Kevin Willis has been seen working out in Atlanta and wants an invite to an NBA camp too.

SouthTexasRancher
04-26-2009, 09:55 PM
Oh is that what we need another forward? Dumb ass......So your idea is to spend our money on players that are old, and play the same spot as our best player. You need to pay attention before posting again!

Kid, there is such a thing as dumb. Then there is dumber. Then there is dumbest. You happen to be all 3, not to mention that when it comes to comprehension you are an imbecile and when it comes to the English language, you are simply put, a simpleton.

Now go back and get mommy to read my posts to you, including the previous 5-10 posts of mine on some of the other threads where I say we need a true 6'11" - 7'2" Center as well as a true backup Point Guard. I also have been emphatic about not wanting another old player. I specifically point out we need to get younger and more athletic.

Now tomorrow morning when you arrive at your Elementary school I want you to go up to your 4th Grade teacher and apologize to him or her and make a promise that you will from now on PAY F'ing ATTENTION because too damn many people have pointed out to you that you are an imbecilic, moronic, idiotic, Ignoramus and you really want to get some respect by the time you enter the 5th grade in 3 years.

Now go away or I'll call your grandmother and get her to get her paddle out and spank your butt...!!!

SouthTexasRancher
04-26-2009, 10:03 PM
I know he gets T'ed a lot, but tell me of a real ocasion where you can trully say: "Look there's Wallace beign a cancer!"

Just Google up Rasheed Wallace and I'm sure you'll find what his past has been like. Sheed is just not Pop's type as most of us fans know. Just go back to the Rodman's, Jackson's (both of them) and so on. Neither Pop nor the Spurs need another headache at this point. It is imperative that we get younger, more athletic, longer, taller, quicker, smarter, and can put the damn ball in the basket. Like I said earlier, each of us have our opinion. It's just that IMHO, we can do better than Sheed for a lot less money.

SouthTexasRancher
04-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Just Google up Rasheed Wallace and I'm sure you'll find what his past has been like. Sheed is just not Pop's type as most of us fans know. Just go back to the Rodman's, Jackson's (both of them) and so on. Neither Pop nor the Spurs need another headache at this point. It is imperative that we get younger, more athletic, longer, taller, quicker, smarter, and can put the damn ball in the basket. Like I said earlier, each of us have our opinion. It's just that IMHO, we can do better than Sheed for a lot less money.

Here you go DAF86... a little about his problems in the NBA. Too disruptive for Pop even though Sheed has been less troublesome the last 3 or 4 years and has done some good things off the court.

Rasheed Wallace
His career suffered from numerous missteps on and off the court. In the 1999-2000 NBA season (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999-2000_NBA_season), he set an NBA record with 38 technical fouls (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_foul) for the season. However, he would be fifth in the league in field goal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_goal_%28basketball%29) percentage. The following year, he would break his own record with 40 technicals. Wallace was also suspended by the NBA for seven games for threatening then referee Tim Donaghy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Donaghy) on an arena loading dock after a home game in 2003. That was the league's longest suspension for something that did not involve violence or substance abuse.

On June 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_2), 2007 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007), Rasheed fouled out of Game 6 of the Eastern Conference Finals after committing a foul on LeBron James and then received two technical fouls, resulting in an automatic ejection, for arguing with a referee.In a postgame interview, Wallace stated that he was upset at the officiating and did not feel his emotional breakdown cost his team a chance to win.
In the 2008 Eastern Conference Finals, the Pistons played Garnett and the Celtics. This marked the sixth consecutive time that the Pistons had made it to this point, and five times they had gotten there with Wallace in the lineup. Still, Detroit lost a third consecutive year in the Conference Finals, losing to Boston 4-2. After the game, Rasheed reportedly told reporters, without taking any questions, "It's over, man," perhaps indicating that Pistons' General Manager Joe Dumars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Dumars) would break up the core of the team in the 2008 offseason.
Earlier in his career, he was widely considered a volatile player, and regularly led the NBA in technical fouls (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_foul), setting a still-standing league record with 41 in 2000-2001. This problem has continued into his Piston days; Wallace again led the league five seasons later with 16 technicals. He used to be dubbed by NBA announcers as a "Walking Technical Foul".
Wallace always felt frustrated because he felt that he was being treated other than the "norm" in terms of NBA foul calling. One game seemed to be the breaking point, where one referee Tim Donaghy called extraordinary fouls at extraordinary times, which when Wallace complained, he received a technical. After the game out by the loading dock of The Rose Garden, referee Donaghy made an incendiary comment to Wallace, and Wallace offered to fight him. At the time, this was reported as "another athlete out of control" and Wallace was suspended for seven games.
Infamous on-court moments
During the 2008 Playoffs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NBA_Playoffs) Wallace went on a expletive-laced tirade following Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Finals against the Boston Celtics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Celtics) in which he lashed out at the officiating, stating, "All that bull[expletive]-ass calls they had out there. With Mike [Callahan] and Kenny [Mauer] -- you've all seen that [expletive]," Wallace said. "You saw them calls. The cats are flopping (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flop_%28basketball%29) all over the floor and they're calling that [expletive]. That [expletive] ain't basketball out there. It's all [expletive] entertainment. You all should know that [expletive]. It's all [expletive] entertainment." Wallace was fined $25,000 for his profanity and criticism. Wallace's comments were in response to a question about flopping. Earlier that day, the NBA stated that starting with the 2008-09 season (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008-09_NBA_season), fines would be imposed by the league for obvious flops
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasheed_Wallace
************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ********
Disruptive Behavior Made Him a Pariah
The Portland Trail Blazers organization sought to increase the team's chances of a championship, adding All-Star after All-Star to the roster. Yet Wallace's behavior seemed to spiral out of control, seemingly from the pressure. He began fighting with the referees over every perceived miscall. While most players and coaches argued to a certain point or even earned a technical before backing down, Wallace did not stop until he was ejected. At times, he would not stop even then. There were times fans even tried to get him to calm down. According to Sports Illustrated, during one heated argument with a referee, one fan yelled, "It's all right, 'Sheed. Just chill, just chill (http://www.answers.com/topic/chill)." But according to the Detroit Free Press, "'Sheed believes if there is a questionable call, he must protest...."
Wallace's positive stats continued to rise--reaching a high of 19.3 ppg and 8.2 rpg in the 2001-2002 season--but so did his technical fouls. In one season he received 38 technical fouls, only to follow that with 41 fouls the next season. His teammates and the coaching staff were at a loss in helping him keep his anger with the refs (http://www.answers.com/topic/refs) in check. In one instance he threw a towel (http://www.answers.com/topic/towel) in one referee's face, earning a two-game suspension and a $10,000 fine. Later Wallace threatened another referee and received a seven-game suspension.
Wallace also began acting out off the courts by refusing to sign autographs, ignoring fans, fighting with teammates, and refusing to give interviews, despite it being mandatory by the NBA. Though he acquiesced to the locker (http://www.answers.com/topic/locker) room interviews by taking his time changing and only answering a few questions filled with expletives, Wallace continued showing disdain (http://www.answers.com/topic/disdain) during mandatory team events, including an appearance where he and others from the Portland organization gave Christmas trees to needy (http://www.answers.com/topic/needy) families in the Portland area.
While his teammates and head coach Mike Dunleavy tried to downplay Wallace's antics by talking to him both on and off the court, it soon took a toll on a team already at odds with one another over various things including playing time. Even though he would help the team make it to the playoffs every year starting in 1996, and twice reach the Western Finals, many were ready for a change. Wallace and fellow player, Damon Stoudamire, did not help the team's image by getting arrested after marijuana (http://www.answers.com/topic/marijuana) was found in the vehicle they were in. The charges were later dropped after each completed community service, stayed out of legal trouble, and underwent drug and alcohol counseling. But the damage had been done. Though it was not the first time a Portland Trail Blazer had been arrested, by the early 2000s this incident and others had earned the team a new nickname: the Portland Jail Blazers.
Found Home in Detroit
While rumors floated that Wallace would soon be traded, he made the task more difficult in 2003 by making comments in the Oregonian quoted in the Philadelphia Inquirer that NBA and Commissioner David Stern only "drafted n---- who were dumb and dumber." Many decried his statements, and Wallace apologized for using street language but he stood by what he said. While a number of organizations expressed interest in the talented power forward, a few reconsidered.
However, over the All-Star break in early 2004, Wallace was traded to the Atlanta Hawks. He played one game, then was traded to the Detroit Pistons. Though his new teammates were a little worried, his new coach, Larry Brown, was not. The whole organization was in agreement about bringing Wallace to the Motor City.
With a fresh start, Wallace helped the Detroit Pistons win their first championship in 15 years. A team known for working hard to win a game was the right fit for Wallace. Instead of being the franchise player, he found himself in a supporting role that suited him fine. While he continued to argue with the referees, he no longer received the large number of technicals he had received in the past, and his number of ejections reduced drastically. He soon signed a multi-year contract with The Pistons. Wallace was a factor in helping them reach the Finals in 2005, though they lost to the San Antonio Spurs. In Detroit Wallace largely shed the reputation as a troubled player and was widely supported by Detroit fans
http://www.answers.com/topic/rasheed-wallace

TheSpursFNRule
04-26-2009, 11:23 PM
Sheed. Easily. And for all the "we need to get younger" crowd. Well guess what? We fucked that up in the Duncan era. We should have started that mission right after the 06 mavs series. But now it would be poor repayment to Tim to surround him with a whole brand new cast with no experience in his last few years. Our only hope for another ship in the Duncan era is to pull a superstar veteran (and by veteran I don't mean someone who has obviously been past his prime for 5 years now like finley) like Sheed and hope he has enough in the tank to get us one more ship.

Lets face it...the youth movement isn't starting until after Timmy retires. So you may as well get used to some hard years ahead. Even though I wont complain. Who would have thought after MJ retired (the second time) that ten years later the Spurs would have the fourth most ships in NBA history and be arguably the third best franchise in NBA history? We have had a good run but it's about over. We all knew this day would come but it is still hard.

Excellent fucking post.

TheSpursFNRule
04-26-2009, 11:25 PM
The guy threatened Tim Donaghy because he has passion for the game. he will not handle the bull shit.

gameFACE
04-26-2009, 11:32 PM
No old guys, please.

Man In Black
04-27-2009, 12:24 AM
I'd take Sheed first, then Dice. Sheed and Dyess do what Gooden and Bonner do not do.
A) Either can play defense, and B) Either can make an open jumper with Wallace having better range. Gooden can make that jumper but his defense sucks. Bonner has shown in the past that he can make that jumper but it's inconsistent as hell and his defense sucks. I get that some people say they're old but with Duncan, you get 1 of those guys, plus Mahinmi, possibly Thomas or Splitter, then it's balanced out.
Getting 1 of those Detroit players means 1 thing, the most important thing that we all know, "It gives Pop a player where he DOES NOT have to give up offense for defense or vice-versa."

mystargtr34
04-27-2009, 01:38 AM
Its easy to say no more old guys, or get younger. But how about giving an option thats better than a 35 year old Sheed, or a 35 year old Mcdyess - instead of just opposing age.

Matt Bonner is 6 years younger than both of them, but i would sure as hell prefer either a 35 year old Sheed or a 35 year old Dyess.

50Bestspurever
04-27-2009, 03:06 AM
One more time!!! It doesn't fucking matter who you surround timmy with, young or old. As long as they can help the greatest power forward to ever play the game win a fucking title. Rebuild when timmy is gone cause I promise you we ain't never gonna be as blessed to have another Duncan, or come close to sniffing the finals anytime soon after timmy is gone. That is reality.

angelbelow
04-27-2009, 04:01 AM
both for the veterans minimum. cant be any worst than oberto.

mountainballer
04-27-2009, 05:43 AM
If anyone has any better young frontcourt players available in free agency for the MLE or less, feel free to let us know.

Shelden Williams?
yeah, I know. he didn't exactly look like he could be more than a 12th man. but this should make him available for a low price. not that I think he could be the new starting center for the Spurs. I just think he is better than what he showed.
just needs some good coaching to learn how to use his defensive potential without fouling. then he might become a useful rotation player from the bench, who works hard in the middle, rebounds and defends. Malik plus 2 inches. and the Malik concept did work a bit. (didn't work 7 millions worth though.)

Chris Anderson?
(ok, at 30 he isn't exactly young any more)
Nuggets for sure want to keep him, but considering they are already deep in lux tax territory for next season, (with only 8 players on the roster) they won't keep him at any price.

Chris Wilcox? (not a big fan, but Spurs were reportedly interested before deadline)
Marcin Gortat? (Magic also have assembled a very expensive roster. maybe not enough money to match left)

however, I think a quality big the Spurs can get via trade with a rebuilding and/or salary dumping team, if they offer a package of Bowen and Fab before July 1st. (when Fab's contract gets guaranteed).

spursbird
04-27-2009, 06:32 AM
Neither.
We need young and athletic players like Ian and Gist.

mountainballer
04-27-2009, 07:44 AM
Neither.
We need young and athletic players like Ian and Gist.

you did realize that Ian and Gist combine for 23 minutes of NBA experience?
no, not minutes per game. that the career total in minutes for both.

we are talking about players, who could become part of the regular rotation and who can contribute immediately. Ian and Gist might both be on the roster. but they will be 9th and 10th in the rotation at best.

SanAntonioSpurs23
04-27-2009, 10:09 AM
Seriously even at their age both Sheed and Dice are better than Oberto, Bonner and KT. If you guys can point out a quality "young" big man that we can get for less than the Mid level feel free...... Spurs can't wait another 3 years for a young guy to develop, they need someone to help Duncan now and given how much Dice or Sheed would cost they look like our best bet.

Parker/Hill
Mason/Ginobili/Finley
Udoka/Gist/Bowen
Duncan/ Dice? Gooden?/Thomas
Sheed/ Bonner/ Mahinmi

bdubya
04-27-2009, 10:10 AM
My $.02 - I'm not surprised folks have reservations about Sheed; he's still got the skills and the IQ, but the body is aging and the focus is questionable. (But he has NEVER been a cancer in Detroit. A hothead, sure, but cancer? NEVER.) It would be a gamble with a big downside....but OTOH, such a move could be just the thing to screw Sheed's head back on straight, and if it were, jeez that'd be a scary frontcourt. It's an outside shot, IMHO, and not one I'd expect the Spurs to take a gamble on.

Dice is going to be a contributor on a contending team next year. Period. The only knock on him is his age. His attitude, his IQ, his skills, his focus and determination are all beyond reproach, and he probably wants a ring worse than anybody else in the league. He was the most consistent and reliable frontcourt player for the Pistons this season, and without him we would have missed the playoffs by a fair margin. And he's far from finished; his career playoff high in points (26, along with ten boards) was set yesterday. Spurs would be wise to make a run at him this summer.

Extra Stout
04-27-2009, 10:23 AM
If this were 2007, the Spurs would do well to focus on bringing in some young guys to develop with the aging veterans, so that by 2009 when the existing role players are washed up, the youngsters are spry and ready to contribute to a title run.

Yeah, that didn't happen.

Now, Duncan is nearly 33, and the Spurs have to consider that he only has a year or two left of being Tim Duncan. The team has the MLE available to sign free agents this summer, and several player contracts expiring in 2010 available to trade to teams looking to dump salary.

Things have to be done now. There is no waiting two years for young players to develop.

The Spurs have to find guys who can contribute now. If they happen to be veterans, so be it.

eDizzle20
04-27-2009, 11:31 AM
I think the edition of either one of these guys would be great. This offseason the free agents aren't tremendously high caliber (at least the one the Spurs can afford). If the Spurs could sign either one to a one year deal go for it. At this point next year's team if going to be about the same. Next season we can really because of the expiring contracts of Ginobili and Bowen. I think a lot people tend to forget that age does not determine talent.

manufan10
04-27-2009, 01:56 PM
+1

I would have been fine having Sheed for this end of the season run to replace Matt at center(I prefer Matt coming off the bench).

But, in terms of a long term deal Sheed will have to sign with the Spurs for the least amount possible for me to like the deal.

Plus Pop and Sheed probably wouldn't get along too well.

Remember that Sheed use to play under Larry Brown. I don't remember hearing anything about those two butting heads. Pop is cut from the same cloth as Larry Brown, and so I believe that Sheed and Pop wouldn't have a hard time getting along.

Thomas82
04-27-2009, 02:05 PM
both for the veterans minimum. cant be any worst than oberto.

That would be gravy if we could get both.

jdev82
04-27-2009, 02:31 PM
rather have dyce honestly, but you gotta love sheed. if sheed works on his shot and comes to SA in shape, id love him. regardless of techs, hes a smarter player than dyce, and clutcher. dyce is a better rebounder, and wont miss the open ones like sheed. sheed this year reminded me of horry last year. just an awful shooter that you know if he worked at all would still be contributing well.

Bruno
04-27-2009, 02:36 PM
If Sheed has still something left in the tank, he would be a tremendous addition.

jdev82
04-27-2009, 02:37 PM
The geriatric team, here we go again:lol

yeah cuz young bonner and mason and hill are doing so well in the playoffs

jdev82
04-27-2009, 02:52 PM
both are 4000x clutcher than bonner's stupid ass

lefty
04-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Sheed is declining and is FAT

No thanks

Chomag
04-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Sheed is declining and is FAT

No thanks

From the last 2 years and especially this year I"ll have to agree. He just is adeclining 3 point shooter. However if it's all just lost motivation and not his skills he would be great to have if he could be had at a good price. That being said I would rather have dice because I would think we could get dice at a much cheaper price and more bang fo the buck. Plus it would be nice to have Dice to teach Ian some things.

peskypesky
04-27-2009, 09:20 PM
McDyess

holcs50
04-27-2009, 10:09 PM
Dude I was excited about possibly getting sheed awhile ago. But damn the guy is pretty bad now. Id probably want mcdyess more because he wont jack up tons of 3s like sheed. Either are better than bonner, but sheed is not what people think, the one thing he'd bring is better d than bonner but other than that not much

spursbird
04-28-2009, 02:06 AM
you did realize that Ian and Gist combine for 23 minutes of NBA experience?
no, not minutes per game. that the career total in minutes for both.

we are talking about players, who could become part of the regular rotation and who can contribute immediately. Ian and Gist might both be on the roster. but they will be 9th and 10th in the rotation at best.
Well, compare the minutes Bonner played between this season and last season. Pop's adjustment can never be predicted.

Spur|n|Austin
04-28-2009, 02:36 AM
Dice has impressed me this season.

Morg1411
04-28-2009, 01:31 PM
No to Wallace. Never been a fan, and he's on the downswing.

McDyess, on the other hand, is some bad shit, and he's been playing great lately. I'd sign him in a heartbeat. (Yes, I know he's old...that just means he'd fit in...)

Darrin
04-28-2009, 03:29 PM

Why not get both? Antonio McDyess is the more skilled of the two players, but Sheed has more size.

KuntryDude
04-28-2009, 05:46 PM
Personally, I would love to see the Spurs revert back to what won them the initial Championships.....TWIN TOWERS!!!!! Chris Bosh free agent 2010! WHAT A PAIR!!!!!!!!!!:lobt2:

Please_dont_ban_me
04-28-2009, 06:16 PM
Sheed, hands down.

Sheed > McDyess > Gooden

Please_dont_ban_me
04-28-2009, 06:17 PM
Personally, I would love to see the Spurs revert back to what won them the initial Championships.....TWIN TOWERS!!!!! Chris Bosh free agent 2010! WHAT A PAIR!!!!!!!!!!:lobt2:

One of the towers might need some structural repair.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-28-2009, 06:20 PM
Finish the Camby trade.

For the right price I'd rather see Camby on the Spurs than Wallace or McDyess.

Please_dont_ban_me
05-02-2009, 06:05 PM
For the right price I'd rather see Camby on the Spurs than Wallace or McDyess.

I would have to agree.

I'd probably take Camby over Rasheed. At the right price, of course.

mingus
05-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Sheed is old but he still has great defense. The problem is that he is too slow to help cover for other people anymore, but that shouldn't be a concern when he has Tim Duncan with him.

this is exactly why i would rather have Wallace over anyone...

the Spurs will have to ultimately go through the Lakers if they want to win another ring , and each Wallace and Duncan's length and post-defense would give Bynum and Gasol a hell of a lot of trouble because for the most part , Gasol and Bynum play in the post and aren't going to out-quick you ... Wallace and Duncan still have ability to play great post defense ... Wallace would also be able to help guard Dirk (although Bonner did pretty well on him for the most part) ...

and on offense the Spurs would have the luxary of being able to have Wallace roam behind the 3-point line to keep Bynum or Gasol outside the paint , making it easier for Ginobili and Parker to penetrate ... but he's also crafty enough in the post (when he plays there) to get either one of them in foul trouble ...

... but then there's still the problem of not having a mobile enough 4 or 5 long , or a long or athletic enough 3 , to be able to contain guys like David West and Odom , who are mismatch hell for the Spurs , right ? ... that's the big question : will Gist be that long/athletic 3 and will Mahinmi be the mobile enough 4 or 5 the Spurs need to guard those guys ... from what i've seen , i think they can both be full those desired roles ...