PDA

View Full Version : Marc Stein: Mavs Win 5-On-2 Battle

Spurs Brazil
04-26-2009, 10:48 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-090426

Mavs Win 5-On-2 Battle By Marc Stein | ESPN.com
DALLAS -- Dirk Nowitzki took a whopping total of nine shots and still hasn't reacquainted himself with the feeling of splashing home a 3-pointer in the playoffs.

Jason Terry took possession of the NBA's Sixth Man Award trophy in a pregame ceremony and commemorated the occasion with the longest shooting drought anyone can remember for Nowitzki's normally locked-in sidekick, somehow clanking his final 13 shots in a row.

And if you take note of two other pertinent variables -- Tony Parker uncorked a ridiculous 43 points, and Joe Crawford couldn't referee this game because he worked the last game here -- you realize the conclusion from all of the above was inevitable: Tim Duncan must have enjoyed a reasonably happy birthday.

"What can you say?" Duncan said as he sat alone at his locker, looking more dazed by the way Game 4 of this slipping-away series unfolded than he was when his San Antonio Spurs were completely disassembled in Game 3.

That's because seemingly simple math was a myth on the afternoon Duncan turned 33. Neither the combined brilliance of the Spurs' little-and-big tag team nor the ongoing success of their ambitious defensive blueprint could prevent the Dallas Mavericks from claiming a 99-90 triumph that shoved the Spurs to the brink of elimination and rendered Duncan merely the second-most influential Wake Forest alumnus on the floor.

The Spurs' trusty Timmy rebounded from the worst statistical performance of his playoff life and a rising panic about what he has left in his legs with a tidy 25 points, 10 boards and seven assists Saturday -- only for Josh Howard to trump him with 14 points in a series-changing third quarter and 28 overall. So San Antonio will not be taking a 2-2 score line back home for Tuesday's Game 5, largely because the Mavs had Howard, Jason Kidd, Antoine Wright and even Ryan Hollins to prop up Nowitzki and Terry.

Whereas Duncan and Parker, if you're looking for more storytelling numbers, were basically playing 2-on-5.

The eight other Spurs who played produced a mere six baskets and 22 points, leaving the visitors exposed when Parker finally began to fade in the fourth quarter. "He was all-out gassed," Duncan said.

"We've done a great job of executing our game plan," Duncan said. "We've taken Jason and Dirk, and we've been able to limit what they've been able to do, and we're still in a 3-1 hole. So ...

There was no need to finish the thought. Duncan understandably doesn't want to talk about what's coming, but the reality is that the Spurs -- who were having enough trouble playing through the unspoken realization that they were never going to win a championship with Manu Ginobili in street clothes -- surely see they don't even have enough minus the injured Ginobili to prevent the maiden first-round exit of Duncan's career when he has played.

The Spurs were knocked out in Round 1 by Kidd's Phoenix Suns in 2000, but Duncan was injured in that series. In the 10 previous first-round matchups of the Duncan era, the Spurs went 10-0.

Yet they've been pulverized by the limitations of the Parker-Duncan duo when those two have received so little help, Howard's sudden turnaround and the late-season cultivation of a tangible supporting cast for Nowitzki, Kidd and Terry. Mavs owner Mark Cuban couldn't contain his giddiness after seeing the rarely used Hollins summoned by TNT for an on-the-court interview after the win, pausing briefly as he skipped to his bunker suite at American Airlines Center to say, "We have a bench now."

For seemingly more than half the season, Terry was the Mavs' bench. In the playoffs, J.J. Barea has played his way into a starting spot and Mavs coach Rick Carlisle can be reasonably certain he'll get something useful from one or two of the following: Brandon Bass, James Singleton, Wright and perhaps Hollins. Erick Dampier picked up his fourth foul early in the third quarter, setting up the uber-athletic but thoroughly untested Hollins to grab eight rebounds in 19 minutes, block three shots and collect his first playoff technical foul for taunting Duncan after a ferocious follow slam over TD with 4 minutes, 20 seconds to play that Terry deemed "one of the best dunks I've ever seen in the playoffs."

Then there's Howard, who's finally supplying the sort of all-around energy and productivity the Mavs have been waiting for all season. The team believes this core group could still achieve something significant when Howard delivers.

Howard insists that stubborn wrist and ankle injuries -- as opposed to the spiral of off-the-court issues that so damaged his reputation last season -- are the only reasons we haven't seen a consistent solid performance. What can't be disputed is that his contributions have swung Game 1 and Game 4, given the Spurs' resolve to double-team Nowitzki almost every time he touches the ball and make sure someone extra is always jumping out at Terry every time he turns a corner.

"Josh Howard is the key to this whole thing," Terry said. "If he continues to have big games, we like our chances."

That's especially true when Howard, who historically does the bulk of his scoring early in games, gets to the line 13 times (sinking 11) and scores freely in the third quarter, as we've seen in two of Dallas' three wins in this series. Getting to the line 39 times as a team, Carlisle added, basically offset the Mavs' 38.4 percent shooting from the floor.

Nor did it hurt that Nowitzki found ways to hurt the Spurs without his jumper. He didn't even attempt a 3-pointer in this one, after going 0-for-7 in the first three games. He chastised himself afterward for not trying to force his way through at least a few double-teams to see whether he could get to the free-throw line. But Nowitzki pulled in 13 rebounds, rumbled for a game-sealing layup shortly after the Spurs had pulled to within 93-90, took a rare charge in crunch time and, according to Cuban, gave an even rarer locker-room pep talk to help Dallas recover after surrendering 17 of the final 21 points in the second quarter to throw away an early nine-point lead.

"They're leaving [people open] on the weak side," Nowitzki said, marveling at the depth of San Antonio's commitment to swarm him. "They're leaving [people open] under the basket. I've never seen a defense like this. So I've got to adjust."

Parker, meanwhile, had a stunning 31 points by halftime, and Duncan insists that his seven missed free throws hurt far worse than the creaky knees you've been reading so much about. Yet there appears to be little hope of avoiding an exit that would be shock-to-the-system early for a franchise that has won four championships since 1999.

"I feel as good as I've felt all year … but we're down 3-1," Duncan said.

Right.

What can you say?

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here.

Spursmania
04-26-2009, 11:02 AM
It's literally been 5 on 2. I could only imagine the frustration and seething anger TD and TP must feel.

Borosai
04-26-2009, 11:09 AM
Ugh.

VaSpursFan
04-26-2009, 11:24 AM
the title says it all. our bench is horrid.

NFGIII
04-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Not only bench but Bonner and Finely haven't been contributing with any consistency, either. Both have got to score or they really don't contribute anything else. Occasionally they play good D and get some bosrds but never with any consistency. We are getting killed on the glass and until that gets solved then we not going on to the next round. And if we somehow do squeak into the 2nd round without fixing our rebounding I can only imagaine what might happen. It doesn't get easier as you advance.

DMX7
04-26-2009, 02:52 PM
5 vs. 2 is exactly how I feel it is.

z0sa
04-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Didn't Matt Bonner spent a good amount of time on Dirk?

In fact, who has Matt Bonner guarded in his time on the floor besides Dirk and the occassionally switch off?

You bitches just won't give credit where its due, will you? That besides the obvious help D any team must have to truly stop Dirk, Matt Bonner has done a pretty damn good job considering how much he's been ridiculed even in this series.

E20
04-26-2009, 03:04 PM
Didn't Matt Bonner spent a good amount of time on Dirk?

Then it's 6 on 2. Matt Bonner basically plays for the Mavs.

z0sa
04-26-2009, 03:06 PM

he's been defending dirk as well as you could ask anyone to, including tim duncan.

fail.

see, there's two sides to a basketball court, and matt bonner has actually excelled on the end we all wanted him to. He has not been in foul trouble, or even fouling much at all, since Game 1 (his own subtle adjustments caused that for those too blind to infer the most simple concepts). That's very commendable against Dirk Nowitzki and his plethora of fakes and occassional drives.

We all just read the article about how Dirk isn't even taking shots, he's passing and letting his teammates win this for him. Yeah, don't give any credit to matt Bonner oncesoever, it was all the other 4 players or whoever (mason/finley) switched off and got scored on - since Dirk is now shying away from Bonner's physical play and is shooting more often from a pass than from making his own shot. Most of the only time he's being agrressive is when Bonner is NOT on him.

td4mvp21
04-26-2009, 03:07 PM

:lmao

E20
04-26-2009, 03:11 PM
he's been defending dirk as well as you could ask anyone to, including tim duncan.

fail.

see, there's two sides to a basketball court, and matt bonner has actually excelled on the end we all wanted him to. He has not been in foul trouble, or even fouling much at all, since Game 1 (his own subtle adjustments caused that for those too blind to infer the most simple concepts). That's very commendable against Dirk Nowitzki and his plethora of fakes and occassional drives.

We all just read the article about how Dirk isn't even taking shots, he's passing and letting his teammates win this for him. Yeah, don't give any credit to matt Bonner oncesoever, it was all the other 4 players or whoever (mason/finley) switched off and got scored on.

lol :nope

z0sa
04-26-2009, 03:15 PM

Where has Matt Bonner fucked up in guarding Dirk since game 1? Why won't you give him the credit he deserves, without his defense on Dirk we'd be forcing Tim Duncan to guard him (gets driven right past - Bonner is faster than Tim most definitely, especially laterally), KT to start and guard him (same thing, and he gets owned worse hes a dinosaur), or Fabricio who hasn't had playing time in two months.

Bonner was our only option and instead of Dirk scoring 30 every night, he's playing right into the gameplan any spursfan could dream for and letting his teammates try to win it - the physical defense from Bonner (and others to a good bit less extent), coupled with the double as soon as he tries to drive has pushed him out of his comfort zone except for Game 3, where Tim had 4 points, 2 rebounds.

Too bad that's exactly what's happening, Dirk's teammates are stepping up and Bonner still gets no credit :lmao

SA210
04-26-2009, 03:15 PM

:lmao

E20
04-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Where has Matt Bonner fucked up in guarding Dirk since game 1? Why won't you give him the credit he deserves, without his defense on Dirk we'd be forcing Tim Duncan to guard him (gets driven right past - Bonner is faster than Tim most definitely, especially laterally), KT to start and guard him (same thing, and he gets owned worse hes a dinosaur), or Fabricio who hasn't had playing time in two months.

Bonner was our only option and instead of Dirk scoring 30 every night, he's playing right into the gameplan any spursfan could dream for and letting his teammates try to win it - the physical defense from Bonner (and others to a good bit less extent), coupled with the double as soon as he tries to drive has pushed him out of his comfort zone except for Game 3, where Tim had 4 points, 2 rebounds.

Too bad that's exactly what's happening, Dirk's teammates are stepping up and Bonner still gets no credit :lmao

z0sa
04-26-2009, 03:21 PM

:donkey

your basketball iq is low, I understand. Efficiently guarding Dirk deserves credit, no one will give it to him because you're all easily influenced by one rebound and no points when Bowen went out and did that night in and night out for 500 straight games at one point.

E20
04-26-2009, 03:28 PM
:donkey

your basketball iq is low, I understand. Efficiently guarding Dirk deserves credit, no one will give it to him because you're all easily influenced by one rebound and no points when Bowen went out and did that night in and night out for 500 straight games at one point.

Matt Bonner hasn't done jack shit to help the Spurs win any games in the playoffs.

z0sa
04-26-2009, 03:31 PM

Matt Bonner hasn't done jack shit to help the Spurs win any games in the playoffs.

lol :donkey

lol dirk nine shots

lol dirk won't even go 1on1 against matt bonner anymore (like I said, not all bonner of course, but he surely is the head of the snake against dirk)

lol when he does he just bricks a shot

lol dirk's only driving layups in the last two games were from switchoffs during screens specifically ran to get Bonner off of him

E20
04-26-2009, 03:34 PM
lol :donkey

lol dirk nine shots

lol dirk won't even go 1on1 against matt bonner anymore (like I said, not all bonner of course, but he surely is the head of the snake against dirk)

lol when he does he just bricks a shot

lol dirk's only driving layups in the last two gameups were from switchoffs during screens specifically ran to get Bonner off of him

lol can you name me a playoff game where Matt Bonner has helped the Spurs win?

z0sa
04-26-2009, 03:38 PM
lol can you name me a playoff game where Matt Bonner has helped them win?

game 2

E20
04-26-2009, 03:44 PM
game 2

o rly? lol

That was Tony Parkers game. Yeah Bonner made three 3's and had 7 rebounds that game, but can he do that when we need him to? How about doing that when the Spurs needs some points and aren't blowing out the opponent. We didn't really need his 11 points to win that game. Oh yeah he missed 6 shots in teh paint lol. Robert Horry reincarnation.

z0sa
04-26-2009, 03:54 PM
o rly? lol

That was Tony Parkers game. Yeah Bonner made three 3's and had 7 rebounds that game, but can he do that when we need him to? How about doing that when the Spurs needs some points and aren't blowing out the opponent. We didn't really need his 11 points to win that game. Oh yeah he missed 6 shots in teh paint lol. Robert Horry reincarnation.

he helped us win the game, get over it. After nailing those 3's he's been faceguarded since. If you haven't checked, and any coach like Rick Carlisle has, Bonner led the team in +/- this season. When he does well, the Spurs do well - its just how life goes with this spurs team. The Mavs have made it their number 3 priority outside of attempting to contain parker, and doubling Tim, to stick with Mason, Finley, and Bonner by faceguarding them if necessary. That's why he didn't even take a shot last night til the end when Pop desperately needed offense - he probably told him "Just fire it up, guarded or not." I don't see how you can hate on a roleplayer for playing within his means, those means including stopping Dirk better than we ever did in 06.

Matt Bonner head of the snake lol, thinking that Bonner limited Dirk to 9 shots lol

Coming out and setting the defensive tone early is the most important thing you can do against a great scorer, x2 against a great shooter. Again, just because you can't critically think far enough to understand Bonner absolutely hounding Dirk for the first 6-7 minutes of the game for position, never going for fakes, and faceguarding him to keep him off the glass, means everything against a great shooter like Nowitzki, then that's your lack of bbiq, not mine. I won't even mention the fact Pop's closer against Nowitzki during crunchtime of every close game this series has been Bonner.

E20
04-26-2009, 03:57 PM
including stopping Dirk better than we ever did in 06.

:lmao:lmao

Dirk has playing decent this series. Except for Game 2, Dirk has been shooting close to 50% and averaging a decent amount of boards and points. Plus Bonner averages around 21 MPG where as Dirk averages around 35 MPG. LOL Spurs put a variety of defenders on Dirk; Dirk always gives the Spurs trouble and him playing at this level is suprising, but to EVEN think that this is because of Matt Bonner is just lol and if IT is Matt Bonner doing this to Dirk everything is cancled out or even made worse because Matt Bonner can't provide anything on the stat sheet. Matt Bonner head of the snake lol, thinking that Bonner limited Dirk to 9 shots lol

z0sa
04-26-2009, 04:00 PM
i responded up there, you don't have to post it again thinking I have no answer for it.

btw, its a cold hard fact we've basically stopped dirk this series compared to 06 or even his series averages. to believe otherwise would be foolishness.

E20
04-26-2009, 04:02 PM
i responded up there, you don't have to post it again thinking I have no answer for it.

lol i deleted and made it into a new post.

but back to my point about Bonner: He's not good.

1Parker1
04-26-2009, 04:11 PM
I really hope the Spurs front office doesn't just look at this debacle and say, "Well, with Ginobili we're a different team"

Frankly the role players the Spurs have assembled are absolutely horrible. They are past well past their prime, are all one dimensional players who don't really bring much of anything else if they aren't scoring, and they don't play defense.

You keep Bowen and George Hill, otherwise I don't want to see a single one of those players back next season...especially Michael Finley. 36 minutes?! :pctoss :pctoss

ManuTP9
04-26-2009, 04:17 PM
:nope lol

Avitus1
04-26-2009, 04:54 PM
That's the way it's been since the regular season. Timmy and Tony pulling the team along. On occasion the rest of team steps up. The Playoffs is not such an occasion.

wildbill2u
04-26-2009, 05:37 PM
No team in the playoffs has the luxury of three starters who don't score, no matter how good their defense. We used to have only one offensive liability--Bruce-- and we could get away with it because the Big three were so good.