PDA

View Full Version : If Tony is the focal point

DDS4
04-26-2009, 01:57 PM
He has to get the other guys like Mase, Fin, and the other guys involved early. TP's blowing his load too early and is getting gassed in the 4th. If he conserves his scoring energy and builds a crescendo in the 4th, he'll not only be stronger at the finish but he'll have the other guys not so cold and tentative during crunch time.

Hopefully Pop will give Tony more rest in the first half and give more playing time to Hill next game.

I'm not holding my breathe though.

spursfan09
04-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Well it would be nice if those guys hit thier shots early on. Thats why he has to do so much at first and he totally gets gassed at the end. Those other guys should nut up and make some plays at the end to relieve some of the pressure on him.

Agloco
04-26-2009, 02:14 PM
He has to get the other guys like Mase, Fin, and the other guys involved early. TP's blowing his load too early and is getting gassed in the 4th. If he conserves his scoring energy and builds a crescendo in the 4th, he'll not only be stronger at the finish but he'll have the other guys not so cold and tentative during crunch time.

Hopefully Pop will give Tony more rest in the first half and give more playing time to Hill next game.

They need to make their shots early........or period for that matter.

ducks
04-26-2009, 02:30 PM

TP GOT DUNCAN GOING early

HarlemHeat37
04-26-2009, 02:35 PM
Parker played a fine game from the PG position..you can't ask for more from him..you also have to realize that he's a shoot-first PG, he doesn't have the ability to be a pure PG..he's a scorer that will occasionally create for his teammates..it's difficult to "get them going" when they can't make any shots though..

if we're looking to "get them going", I'd rather have Duncan playing at the high post and throwing into cutters, since he's our best passer..I'd rather have 2s, as opposed to 3s..

to be honest, I only feel comfortable with Parker and Duncan playing a 2-man game at this point..nobody else has really gained my confidence offensively..well Bowen has, he can still make 3s from the corners at a high rate..

SA210
04-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Tim also has to act like an MVP again, 25 points ain't gonna get us nowhere. TD needs to score in the 30's and grab like 12+ boards, assists and blocks need to come up as well.

Tony's doing awesome, but we have 2 superstars.

NewJerSpur
04-26-2009, 02:43 PM
I think Tony was looking more for his shot in the last game especially because of the magnitude of the game and the fact he was feeling it and getting what he wanted for most of the 1st half. In general ball movement in game 5 would be nice to see and along with guys not running away from the shots they're given even if Tim or Tony or hot.

timaios
04-26-2009, 02:49 PM
“Our offense was designed to let Tony go. Tim was the next option after that and everyone else falls in line,” Roger Mason said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=Ahy27o0M2_KYzrFx15sH1bS8vLYF?gid=200904 2506&prov=ap

Kori Ellis
04-26-2009, 02:57 PM
He tried to get people going early yesterday. He got 3 quick assists to Tim, but no one else was hitting anything. It's hard when he's shooting 60-70% to justify him continuing to pass to someone on the outside who is in the 0-for-whatever.

The main problem with Tony getting gassed by the fourth is that he can't get much rest in the games at all. He comes out with 3 minutes left in the quarter, then has to come back with 1 1/2 minutes left because the team is getting blown away without him.

Bottomline is that someone in the second unit has to step up enough to allow him to get a breather. That hasn't been happening lately but hopefully GHill will be the man in Game 5.

SA210
04-26-2009, 03:12 PM
He tried to get people going early yesterday. He got 3 quick assists to Tim, but no one else was hitting anything. It's hard when he's shooting 60-70% to justify him continuing to pass to someone on the outside who is in the 0-for-whatever.

The main problem with Tony getting gassed by the fourth is that he can't get much rest in the games at all. He comes out with 3 minutes left in the quarter, then has to come back with 1 1/2 minutes left because the team is getting blown away without him.

Bottomline is that someone in the second unit has to step up enough to allow him to get a breather. That hasn't been happening lately but hopefully GHill will be the man in Game 5.

:tu I agree with this, but there has to be something Pop can do to get both Tim and Tony their rest, without having BOTH of them sitting on the bench at the same time in the early 4th when it's very critical and noone is scoring.

That drives me crazy to have 2 superstars and they are BOTH on the bench at the same time during that critical time. I know they both need their rest but I know he can manage it a little better so this doesn't happen.

stéphane
04-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Just wow. So he has to magicaly create open lay ups by mesmerizing opposing defenders?
If the other guy just came to play that would have helped.

timvp
04-26-2009, 04:51 PM
Getting Mase going early from the bench. Yeah, good one.

Seriously though, TP has tried to get others involved. In Game 3 he tried to let Duncan get going and find shooters. By the time he realized there wasn't enough help and he started looking more for his own shot, the Spurs were getting blown out.

In Game 4, look at the third quarter for what happens when Duncan and Parker try to share the load. Parker backed off and tried to lean on his teammates, as did Duncan. The result was a horrible quarter.

It'd be nice if at least one role player can get it going and create space for Parker and Duncan to operate. Those two players can't even really run a typical pick-and-roll because the Mavs aren't respecting any of the shooters. Even when Duncan and Parker hit a role player wide open, they either don't shoot or miss.

I can't really complain at all about how Parker is playing. Yes, I wish that he could conserve energy until later in the game. But right now, the options are either 1) Get blown out 2) Parker attacks the whole 48 minutes.

ploto
04-26-2009, 04:53 PM

You mean the Spurs need a back-up PG? :wow