PDA

View Full Version : The positives of this season..

HarlemHeat37
04-26-2009, 02:53 PM
With so many negatives from the get-go, let's look at the positives of this season..

-Tony Parker has emerged into our clear #1 offensive option..he's truly emerged into a dominant scorer that can be relied upon to consistently dominate..

-Tim Duncan looked the best he's looked in years until the injury..he was shooting his highest % of his career from Js, and even extended his range..he was getting MVP considerations..the injury obviously changed it, so hopefully he can recover with a few months rest..the key will be to get some help around him, so he doesn't have to use too much energy early on, which is possibly the reason he got hurt..

-Roger Mason Jr. showed a lot of promise before the PG experiment..he was shooting 3s at a high rate, and making clutch shots..hopefully with Hill gaining more experience for next year, Mason can stick to being a SG..

-George Hill surprised us..he showed a lot of potential this season, until Pop benched him of course..he's already a great defender for his position, his length and athleticism is apparent..it's clear that he can be a contributor for this team, and hopefully Pop trusts him as he matures..

-Bruce Bowen can still play at a high level..I would love to see him back in a role where he would play 10 MPG for this team, since he obviously still can..

The biggest positive for this season IMO, is Pop's system..while he's made a lot of questionable decisions this year, and this might be his worst coaching season ever, his system is still very effective..

We managed to finish 3rd in the West, despite countless injuries to our best players..more importantly, this team finished FIFTH in the NBA in defense, despite starting Tony Parker, Roger Mason, Michael Finley, and Matt Bonner..4 guys that are average or below average defensive players..the system clearly still works, we just need to re-tool the players..

you also look at the fact that Pop's gameplan in this series was to shut down Dirk and Terry, and it has worked perfectly..there's nothing you can do when the rest of the players can't play individual D, and the team can't score..

the system still works..

Spurs_9_20_21
04-26-2009, 03:11 PM
Yeah I agree, there are still some more positives to go to!! The system still works and we just need to get a little younger. I'm not saying get rid of people like Bowen, but we definetly need to be teams like Cleveland or Boston or Jazz. Those teams are the teams that like to run, or so I think. We just need to update our roster a little.

Andy25
04-26-2009, 03:11 PM
Matt Bonner has some trade value now.

Strike
04-26-2009, 03:13 PM
A healthy Tim and a healthy Manu plus some youth minus some old, the Spurs are back in the title hunt next season.

wisnub
04-26-2009, 03:21 PM
Spurs are a good team..Mason and Hill shown huge hope. But the undeniable fact is that spurs are not contenders anymore...with so many teams that are rising, spurs are drown in the mediocre valley despite the positives. A playoff team but definitely not a championship material. Fallin in first round is not a spurs tradition. I see they will win another one at home and will fall again in Dallas. The problem is that everyone can see now that Spurs are no longer championship contender. It will be more difficult to lure potential impact player if spurs only promise a ring with minimum pay, they should offer more money or else things are gonna be the same. Good player will choose Cleveland or Lakers if its ok for them to get paid less money in return for championship. They will no longer consider SA, unles he is a veteran which only got 1 or 2 years left in the tank.
No championship team getting beaten up by 30pts in one time of the playoff game and already empty bench when Dallas still put their starters in and racking up more points and humiliation. Spurs already conserving starters energy while the other team starters enjoy tearing up spurs. And the sad thing is even after rest spurs lost again...One dumbass person said why leave your starters when things are get out of hand? I dont know...Spurs are not Celtics who fight until the last breath in the regular season (this is playoff,heloo?? wanna go fishing??). It doesnt matter since Spurs losing anyway. If Spurs didnt get impact player in offseason or Manu keep reinjuring himself then things are going to be the same. Cavs get stronger,Young Blazer got better, Orlando got better...Spurs need to do something or else as the Magic Johnson said: the "natural progression" is taking over.
There were Celtics era,Lakers,Bulls,then Spurs...it will be history. We need to focus on the future, not history...so whats the next big thing??

DAF86
04-26-2009, 03:31 PM
With so many negatives from the get-go, let's look at the positives of this season..

-Tony Parker has emerged into our clear #1 offensive option..he's truly emerged into a dominant scorer that can be relied upon to consistently dominate..

I wouldn't consider that a positive, I'd feel a lot more confident with Duncan still as our number one option. If you have said "Parker raising his game to another level" I'd have agreed with you.

ducks
04-26-2009, 03:35 PM
duncan and tp can share the number one option now
that is postive less wear and tear on tp and duncan ....

ploto
04-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Bruce Bowen can still play at a high level...

Bruce is gone- one way or another- and the lack of playing time this season will be the Spurs' justification for it. When you see Bowen in garbage time of Game 3 while Udoka rests, that is all you need to know.

baseline bum
04-26-2009, 05:00 PM
The only positive is at least Parker isn't hurt.

Avitus1
04-26-2009, 05:18 PM
A lot of positives going into next season.

Bukefal
04-26-2009, 05:20 PM
the main positive, definetelly tony parker playing the best he has played so far, a true superstar!!!

Spurs Brazil
04-26-2009, 05:35 PM
I don't agree with Mason Jr being a positive.

His defense is pathetic and he showed nothing in the playoffs, when the Spurs most need a player to step up.

For the right offer I'd like to see him go

NewJerSpur
04-26-2009, 05:41 PM
I don't agree with Mason Jr being a positive.

His defense is pathetic and he showed nothing in the playoffs, when the Spurs most need a player to step up.

For the right offer I'd like to see him go

Yet he'll be back knocking down clutch shots for the Spurs next year with a great 3-point shooting percentage. The guy was a solid pickup for us in the offseason and has been regarded as such league-wide, to think otherwise would be a bit shortsighted IMO. We've carried shooters before who weren't the best one-on-one defenders and they've carried us at times return.

ElNono
04-26-2009, 05:44 PM
Yet he'll be back knocking down clutch shots for the Spurs next year with a great 3-point shooting percentage. The guy was a solid pickup for us in the offseason and has been regarded as such league-wide, to think otherwise would be a bit shortsighted IMO. We've carried shooters before who weren't the best one-on-one defenders and they've carried us at times return.

If he's gonna be Hedo 2.0, we might aswell ship him now. The thing is, I don't know yet that he is. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, considering Pop has forced him to play out of position for a while, which kind of broke his rhythm.

Spurs Brazil
04-26-2009, 05:48 PM
TD and Manu are getting old.

Mason Jr isn't a player that will help us win now. We'll have a lot of expiring contracts and Mason is one of them. We need a player to help win now. Fuck the 2010 plan.
The time is now

NewJerSpur
04-26-2009, 05:57 PM
TD and Manu are getting old.

Mason Jr isn't a player that will help us win now. We'll have a lot of expiring contracts and Mason is one of them. We need a player to help win now. Fuck the 2010 plan.
The time is now

A lot was asked of TD this year that pushed his knees to the brink IMO, so even though he's not going to be around forever, he will still have more to offer the team than D-Rob even could at the end of his career if we can get him some help.

You also need a bench/depth right now and in the future and can't ship off 8 (firguratively speaking) expiring contracts one or two players.

whottt
04-26-2009, 06:35 PM
It's almost over.

mrs.purss
04-26-2009, 06:41 PM
Either way if we dont make it through the Mavs. I expect nothing but good things to come this summer. We just need to find Bonners replacement and Bruce's. That shouldnt be to hard todo.

mrs.purss
04-26-2009, 07:04 PM
Hey we won the Southwest Division. Whats so bad about that?

LEONARD
04-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Hey we won the Southwest Division. Whats so bad about that?

1 post-shot clock 3 by Finley from not winning it...

ElNono
04-26-2009, 09:12 PM
No matter what happens in this series... Dallas will still not win a championship... :tu

peskypesky
04-26-2009, 09:18 PM
No positives for me this season. The only positive I thought was getting Gooden, but Pop has squandered that and he will walk now.

Sean Cagney
04-26-2009, 10:01 PM
Positive was winning 54 with all they went through and they still faught so far IMO in this series, well some did. With Manu they win 60 this year and get that #2 seed easily, thats a positive there to think of! Ian might make an appearance next year, he will be bettter than Bonner just playing IMO. Gist might come next year and Hill will continue to develop, plus Roger can play his position next year IMO with Manu back and Hill coming of age. There is a few positives, a bad year and a let down yes from injuries, but all in all not a bad year.