PDA

View Full Version : top 3 disappointments on the spurs this post season

bless1187
04-26-2009, 06:02 PM
3.) Roger Mason Jr: so much was expected of him coming into the playoff, he struggled a bit during the second half of the season, especially after manu came back. But he picked it up a bit after manu was declared out for the season. he had a decent 1st game and 2nd game but disappeared after that; and especially blows coming off the bench, i think the regular season and game 4 proves that.

2.) Matt Bonner: not much was expected out of him other than playing hard, grabbing a few rebound, and making a few shot; even with the expectation already set so low for him, he still manages to fail us. he might hustle and play hard, but he's just not starter material. worst of all, if the minutes were given to other player (gooden or thomas), i'm pretty sure they would contribute plenty more than bonner.

3.) Coach Pop: i can't really blame matt bonner for being our starting C and playing 30 mpg when we have drew gooden and kurt thomas on the bench, and i can't blame roger mason jr for being our back up pg when we have george hill on the bench. pop proves us time and time again that he doesn't like to make adjustment whether it be due to his stubbornness, ego, etc.

spursfaninla
04-26-2009, 06:11 PM
Not sure that Hill would do better as the backup pg actually. It is unclear; he was playing most recently as the sg...

Mason...well, he is not one to create, so he plays well when teams don't play up on him. He is little more than a spot-up shooter.

Bonner...well, he has been unable to help much. It is unclear if Gooden or Thomas would be better, because Gooden is not much use next to duncan unless we give gooden the ball instead of duncan (i.e. he is mostly for scoring), and thomas can't guard dirk.

Spurs_9_20_21
04-26-2009, 06:12 PM
3.) Roger Mason Jr: so much was expected of him coming into the playoff, he struggled a bit during the second half of the season, especially after manu came back. But he picked it up a bit after manu was declared out for the season. he had a decent 1st game and 2nd game but disappeared after that; and especially blows coming off the bench, i think the regular season and game 4 proves that.

2.) Matt Bonner: not much was expected out of him other than playing hard, grabbing a few rebound, and making a few shot; even with the expectation already set so low for him, he still manages to fail us. he might hustle and play hard, but he's just not starter material. worst of all, if the minutes were given to other player (gooden or thomas), i'm pretty sure they would contribute plenty more than bonner.

3.) Coach Pop: i can't really blame matt bonner for being our starting C and playing 30 mpg when we have drew gooden and kurt thomas on the bench, and i can't blame roger mason jr for being our back up pg when we have george hill on the bench. pop proves us time and time again that he doesn't like to make adjustment whether it be due to his stubbornness, ego, etc.
The sad think is, that all of that you said is true. I noticed that once Manu came back from his injury, Mason Jr disappeared. Bonner.... well not much need be said, he failed. As for Coach Pop, he definetly doesn't like to make adjustments, like when in the beginning of this series Pop didn't give Hill much of a chance, but he followed through.

Thompson
04-26-2009, 06:15 PM
I think Hill was doing pretty well until Pop lost it earlier in the season and decided to go with Roger. Now that that experiment has failed, he can try going to Hill as the backup, though he's missed out on a couple month's worth of experience due to Pop's paranoia.

Even so, I think he'd be better than Mason at PG. He'll make rookie mistakes I'm sure, but I'd still rather have him as the backup point guard than Mason.

alchemist
04-26-2009, 06:46 PM
I think Hill was doing pretty well until Pop lost it earlier in the season and decided to go with Roger. Now that that experiment has failed, he can try going to Hill as the backup, though he's missed out on a couple month's worth of experience due to Pop's paranoia.

Even so, I think he'd be better than Mason at PG. He'll make rookie mistakes I'm sure, but I'd still rather have him as the backup point guard than Mason.
Hill = Mason at the PG, neither was a good option at that spot, his defense is great but he's a liability offensively running the point.

mrs.purss
04-26-2009, 06:57 PM
manu playing in the olympics......manu playing in the olympics.....and manu playing in the olympics

pjjrfan
04-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Hill = Mason at the PG, neither was a good option at that spot, his defense is great but he's a liability offensively running the point.
At this point I would take Hill's offensive liabilities just to have his defense on the floor, Mason took all of 3 shots last game and really looks very hesitant to look for his shots, and I'm wondering why would Pop call a play for Bonner late in the game and not one for Mason who would have been a better option. Hell what was Bonner doing out there anyway, he's even more afraid to shoot now in the playoffs. At least Hill can also penetrate.

Andy25
04-26-2009, 07:48 PM
3...2....3?! What?

Duncan2177
04-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Top 3 disappointments this post season

1.Pop

2.Mason Jr

3.Bonner

KVas
04-26-2009, 07:58 PM
It's easier to list the guys who haven't been disappointments. TD is struggling on his one knee but continues to fight and be aggressive. I would like to see Hollins guarding the healthy Tim Duncan. He wouldn't be such a hero in Dallas. Parker is doing what the team asked him to do. Score, score, and score even more. He's the only one capable of getting to the basket. George Hill wasn't expecting to see big time playoff minutes but made the best in the crucial minutes he played in game 4. Had he gotten playing time throughout the last half of the season I'm sure he would be a smarter player regardless of his shaky offense. Everyone else have been disappointments in my book. But how can you blame them? They are old and the Mavs aren't. Or any other NBA team for that matter.

45 bank shot
04-26-2009, 08:22 PM
POp at NO.1 no doubt bout it.
Itz really not we dun have any talent on this team or nobody on our team can play playoffs basketball. itz really pop who play the wrong players at the wrong positions plus destroyin some players confidence

sonic21
04-26-2009, 08:23 PM
kurt thomas, he was our best big after the ASG but he really sucks against the mavs.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-26-2009, 08:25 PM
Bonner was expected to fail in the post season. He might be the worst player in NBA history to lead the league in 3 point FG%. If you simply stand in front of Bonner he will miss all of his shots.

The Mavs have done a great job of contesting the Spurs at the 3 point line since they don't need to double on anyone.

45 bank shot
04-26-2009, 08:26 PM
kurt thomas, he was our best big after the ASG but he really sucks against the mavs.

well wat can he do? Mavs dun really have a power lowpost player, instead they have a bunch of young and quick forwards who can stretch the floor.
that kinda cancels out KT's defensive ability and also limits his PT thus restricts his offense

45 bank shot
04-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Bonner was expected to fail in the post season. He might be the worst player in NBA history to lead the league in 3 point FG%. If you simply stand in front of Bonner he will miss all of his shots.

The Mavs have done a great job of contesting the Spurs at the 3 point line since they don't need to double on anyone.

agree, and in game 4, bonner had a few wide open opportunites but he turned 'em down probably cuz hez too chicken. Instead, he put the ball on the floor n got cut off every time n more importantly killed the shot clock

peskypesky
04-26-2009, 08:29 PM
1. Poopavitch
2. Poopavitch
3. Roger Mason

SanAntonioSpurs23
04-26-2009, 08:52 PM
The Bench
The Bench
The Bench

peskypesky
04-26-2009, 08:55 PM
The Bench
The Bench
The Bench

Which bench? You mean the bench players who have been starting (Bonner and Finley) or the starters who've been benched (Mason, Gooden and Bowen)?

bless1187
04-26-2009, 09:10 PM
Not sure that Hill would do better as the backup pg actually. It is unclear; he was playing most recently as the sg...

Mason...well, he is not one to create, so he plays well when teams don't play up on him. He is little more than a spot-up shooter.

Bonner...well, he has been unable to help much. It is unclear if Gooden or Thomas would be better, because Gooden is not much use next to duncan unless we give gooden the ball instead of duncan (i.e. he is mostly for scoring), and thomas can't guard dirk.

well, from the time i seen of hill as back up pg, he's not as good a shooter as mason, but he does bring the ball up under pressure better, he doesn't make silly passes that leads to direct TO as much as mason does, and what's annoying is that our offense when mason has the ball consist of a big man setting a pick for mason to jack up a 3pt shot. i really don't see much more in him than a spot up shooter, since every time he tries to take it to the hole, its either a turn over or a block shot. and i don't know if anyone else noticed this, but i really believe that roger mason jr is a soft player, he respond very very poor to physical plays, and every time there's a loose ball on the floor, he would always lose out on getting it.

from your assessment of gooden not likely to play better than bonner in his minute. there's only one thing i need to tell you; there's no way possible anyone can contribute less than bonner has done in 30 mpg in the playoff. he's performance has been the lowest of all the lows.

pawe
04-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Mason was playing pretty well when he would just catch and shoot. Pop fucked him up by forcing him to be a Tony Parker. Pop should've just went after Marbury if he wanted a scoring PG.

Mr. Body
04-27-2009, 01:11 AM
Who really expected much out of Bonner and Mason?

Gervin44Silas13
04-27-2009, 07:23 AM
manu playing in the olympics......manu playing in the olympics.....and manu playing in the olympics

yeah...that right there jerked us>>>>>>

thank you manu for screwing with our post-season...
I hope your injury was worth getting a *&#@* silver medal!

Gervin44Silas13
04-27-2009, 07:24 AM
Mason was playing pretty well when he would just catch and shoot. Pop fucked him up by forcing him to be a Tony Parker. Pop should've just went after Marbury if he wanted a scoring PG.

Imagine the drama with this team if we had Marbury

I Love Me Some Me
04-27-2009, 07:55 AM
1. Manu Ginobili's health.
2. Tim Duncan's health.
3. Pop's decision to not use Hill.

mrs.purss
04-27-2009, 08:09 AM
Noone did. Noone in the NBA anyways.

FaithInOne
04-27-2009, 10:01 AM
pop
rc
pop

Winehole23
04-27-2009, 10:10 AM
1. Going down to the Mavs.
2. No Manu.
3. Timmy not at full strength

Yuixafun
04-27-2009, 10:21 AM

That sums it up.

The off season was the biggest disappointment.

Manu, Tiago, who we picked up and kept..

It's remarkable we had the regular season record we had, but playoff success was nothing more than just fancy, like some people playing out of their minds or shooting 80%, Duncan getting leg infusions, etc..

spurster
04-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Top 3 disappointments on the spurs this post season:

Game 1
Game 3
Game 4

antgomez2009
04-27-2009, 10:37 AM
1: Pop's Inability to play George Hill: Cant burn out our only burner!!! (Tony Parker)

2: Roger Mason's Absence : (the Boi Froze up)

3: Matt Bonner!! (no confidence whats-so-ever)

SanAntonioSpurs23
04-27-2009, 10:41 AM
1) Manu Ginobili's injuries

2) Pop

3) The bench

sananspursfan21
04-27-2009, 10:47 AM
The Bench
The Bench
The Bench

yah, the bench really sucks for the spurs. they're not bad players, they just don't get it done. there are teams in the league with much less skilled benches who really get it done when the stars rest (nuggets, mavericks, even the suns have a more productive bench)

Dex
04-27-2009, 10:49 AM

I expected more out of Mason.

Unfortunately, Pop managed to obliterate any confidence this guy had by making him take George Hill's job. Way to kill two birds with one stone.

HiLouis!
04-27-2009, 10:57 AM
I expected a lot more out of mason as well. Good thread from a newer poster. I don't want to give up on this series yet, but I do think we have a lot of promising young players that, if coached and utilized correctly, will be very successful for the Spurs. But man is that a HUGE "if" with the recent personnel decisions we've seen. After all disappointments come from having expectations, and at least we can still have high expectations for this team.

it's me
04-27-2009, 11:05 AM
1.) Roger Mason Jr: so much was expected of him coming into the playoff, he struggled a bit during the second half of the season, especially after manu came back. But he picked it up a bit after manu was declared out for the season. he had a decent 1st game and 2nd game but disappeared after that; and especially blows coming off the bench, i think the regular season and game 4 proves that.

1)- The second coming of Manu for some fans here. FAIL
2)- This guy should be playing for the Rockets. FAIL
3)- Old man is just that.... getting old..... and gotto play with what he has.

sammy
04-27-2009, 11:40 AM
1. Matt Bonner - glorified scrub should never have started in the first place. Should've come off the bench and should've been traded when he was worth something instead he's showing that he sucks as always and we are probably stuck with him.:bang

2. Pop - Stupid lineup and being too stubborn to bench the worthless one Bonner and play Oberto or KT instead. He sacrificed our defense for offense ala like Phoenix Suns and it killed our team. Kept Bowen on the bench, continues to play the two worthless ones, Bonner and Finley. Screwed up Roger Mason Jr by making him backup PG. Wasted time not utilizing Hill and who knows what could've happened if he had not given up on him! Jackass!:bang

3. RC/Pop - Not getting any help for the big three! Kept all of the pressure on their shoulders and when they get hurt, there is no-one to help. Resigned Finley, kept Bonner and not utlizing our young talent (Hill, Hairston). :bang

Fingaroll44
04-27-2009, 01:54 PM

i expected more out of mason and i dont feel like thats an unreasonable expectation. bonner, well thats another story. Mason really hasn't been the same since Manu returned the 1st time in december or when ever that was...its like he started to defer and has been hesitant to be aggressive offensively. I dont like him @ the point because when he has to drive thru traffic his dribble is too high...his handle isn't as smooth as it needs to be imo