PDA

View Full Version : Parker: "A Real Concern"

wildbill2u
03-22-2005, 10:56 AM
Parker provided little to counter Marbury. He scored the Spurs' first 10 points and 12 of their first 14 while making his first six shots. He didn't make another.

"For a while now he's had great first quarters, and that's dissipated as the game has continued," Popovich said. "That's a real concern."

As Pop noted, this isn't a one game occurrence. Some people say it's caused by the other team's defensive adjustments. I'm wondering if his body simply can't sustain play at a high level for 35plus minutes. Does anyone have other ideas?

If he's gonna be one of the top five PGs, then Tony can't have second half let-downs like this.

ducks
03-22-2005, 10:57 AM
marbarry has always played tp tight
that is what was scarry when marbarry played for the suns

ShoogarBear
03-22-2005, 10:59 AM
One thing: Parker's game is predicated almost entirely on quickness.

That is one thing that is certain to decline as the game goes on, especially if he's spending a lot of energy early.

He probably needs to work on pacing himself better. A more reliable jumper would help, too.

ducks
03-22-2005, 11:04 AM
tp has been carry more of the load
suns game he shot 31 shots
he is not used to that
hopefully everyone will get healthy he can rest

wildbill2u
03-22-2005, 11:07 AM
One thing: Parker's game is predicated almost entirely on quickness.

That is one thing that is certain to decline as the game goes on, especially if he's spending a lot of energy early.

He probably needs to work on pacing himself better. A more reliable jumper would help, too.

I think your comment places you on my side, concerned about his endurance. I'm not sure he would be as effective if he paced himself and didn't go full out. But Pop controls his time on the court and maybe should rest him more often.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-22-2005, 11:18 AM
I agree, I think the only problem with TP is he doesn't pace himself. Should he learn to do that, I think he would be a bit more productive, which would go a long wayto support this team, seeing as though Manu won't be as productive because of his injury.

FromWayDowntown
03-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Last night, it looked like the Knicks took a page from the Lakers' book and agressively trapped the pick and roll, putting bodies on Parker as he came around the corner and forcing him to get rid of the ball. Once they cooled him with that strategy, Tony just went stone cold and started settling for jump shots.

I don't know that Tony can survive a 35-40 minute pounding on consecutive nights, but he's going to have to find a way to stay consistent and continue to attack while teams alter defensive strategies to counter him. In the first half, I thought Tony did a good job of recognizing when to shoot and when to pass and his team played well because of it. When things started to go bad, it looked to me like Tony was doing whatever he could to get his shot -- like he wasn't setting up his teammates anymore -- and settling for jumpers. Most any team in the league would be satisfied with Tony Parker taking jump shots, since he's nowhere near as dangerous on the perimeter as he is when he attacks the middle. Tony fell into that trap last night. If this team is to survive without Timmy, Tony has to be an aggressor.

If he fails in that fashion, I'd think Pop will go to more of a motion-oriented attack and make Manu the initiator whenever possible. At least Manu will continue to drive and play aggressively.

Solid D
03-22-2005, 11:42 AM
You are right on, FromWayDowntown.

I also agree with ShoogarBear that TP probably needs to be held back some. Chicago, for instance, has a set strategy to use Ben Gordon in the 4th quarter, because of his clutch and uncanny finishing ability. TP has similar abilities too but he appears to be totally gassed and non-aggressive late in games. Change the pattern, and change the results.

stéphane
03-22-2005, 11:49 AM
don't you think his age has something to do with it?
i'm kinda in the bandwagon here, some good posts...
about the pic'n rolls of yesterday... we cant compare a pic'n roll with TD and Rasho IMO
i like rasho but the offense is not his prefered side of the court i would say :)

MaNuMaNiAc
03-22-2005, 12:05 PM
don't you think his age has something to do with it?
i'm kinda in the bandwagon here, some good posts...
about the pic'n rolls of yesterday... we cant compare a pic'n roll with TD and Rasho IMO
i like rasho but the offense is not his prefered side of the court i would say :)Solid D has a point stephane, TP's age may have some factor in it, but its mostly the fact that both Tony and Manu play agressive, no fear game, and with the kind of build they have, they are just not able to withstand 40 minutes a game. Maybe if Tony came up big in the 3rd and 4th as well as Manu while saving them through the 1st and 2nd the result would be a different one.

wildbill2u
03-22-2005, 12:56 PM
The current conventional wisdom of the NBA says you start your best five players and give each of them 30+ minutes per game. Most starters seem physically capable of playing those minutes, but maybe some can't because they play at a higher energy level to be effective.

Shouldn't the physical abilities and limitations of individual players come into play in the strategy decisions of the coach? What would the reaction be if Pop cut the minutes for Manu and Tony?

Rummpd
03-22-2005, 01:06 PM
Why not put Brown or Bowen on Marbury when he goes off?

jcrod
03-22-2005, 04:17 PM
I'm disappointed he not stepping up more. I think it's still a learning experince. The Spurs never had to rely on TP and it takes time to for a player to have that mentality, IMO.

I think sitting TP in the 4th in critical situations doesn't help any, that's when you learn and overcome your exhaustion. Make or miss you build on that learning experince, and even though Beno has been doing well, I think it's costing TP a little.

Solid D
03-22-2005, 04:34 PM
Why not put Brown or Bowen on Marbury when he goes off?

They did. The Spurs had Bowen on Marbury during his big flurry last night. They were rubbing Bruce off of high screens with plenty of spacing.

timvp
03-22-2005, 04:36 PM
I'm losing faith in Parker. I thought he had turned the corner, but now is surrendering after halftime. He plays well in the first quarter and then it's been downhill from there. It's been that way for a while now.

TD OUT
MG Injured
TP MIA

:depressed

Kori Ellis
03-22-2005, 04:37 PM
I don't think it's been that way for a while. I think it's happened in too many games lately though.

Solid D
03-22-2005, 04:38 PM
I'm losing faith in Parker. I thought he had turned the corner, but now is surrendering after halftime.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

timvp
03-22-2005, 04:39 PM
I don't think it's been that way for a while. I think it's happened in too many games lately though.

A while to me is two weeks :)

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

:smokin

Solid D
03-22-2005, 04:45 PM
http://www.grouchyoldcripple.com/archives/~lide8-thumb.JPG

gregpschneid
03-22-2005, 04:48 PM
Parker just needs to start hitting his jumpers and 3's again. Do you guys remember how deadly he was from three at the end of last season through the memphis and first 2 games of the lakers series. His 3's were more consistent last season, hopefully that'll change though. Along with Manu when parker is nailing 3's, he is unguardable.

BigVee
03-22-2005, 04:49 PM
I don't see it that way. I think he gets off to great starts, the defense changes and if the others make their shots all is well, he winds up with points and assists. Last night he couldn't have picked out a player to hit a shot if his life depended on it. So, he then tries to do it himself, gets himself in trouble,using a lot of energy......etc. Parker, IMO is the least of the Spurs problems right now...(see injuries, Nazr, Barry)...

Solid D
03-22-2005, 04:50 PM
True, welcome to the Forum gregpschneid.

picnroll
03-22-2005, 04:55 PM
Parker quit looking for his oofense in the second quarter. He sat back and let others look to score (except a couple of times whan Horry looked him off). Parker went back in at 8:48 of the second quarter and then took two shots until a desperation heave with 1 second left. He took himself out of the game mentally by no longer being aggressive and when the second half came around he couldn't get himself back in the game. Under current circumstances if Parker's got it going he's got to be more selfish, screw being a PG looking for balance and just keep it going.

cherylsteele
03-22-2005, 05:02 PM
Parke did let down in the 2nd half....but I should remind you.....SO DID THE WHOLE TEAM!!.....I am not one to blame Parker totally for this.

I will point him out saying he needs to involve his teammates more......even if he is on a good streak.

I will however give props to Devin Brown...he is stepping up well.

I dislike Lance Blanks....he said in the 1st half the Spurs were dominating the game.....the score ath the time was Spurs-59 Knicks-57......plus the Knicks were on a good run at the time......some domination.

IceColdBrewski
03-22-2005, 05:03 PM
Happens every year around playoff time. Maybe he's just looking to get a head start this year.

picnroll
03-22-2005, 05:10 PM
Yeah Ice ClodBrewski Parker really let the Spurs down in the Memphis series didn't he.

IceColdBrewski
03-22-2005, 05:21 PM
Yeah Ice ClodBrewski Parker really let the Spurs down in the Memphis series didn't he.

No. But he disappeard shortly after. Then he set out on an offseason quest to fix his shooting problems and get in better shape. Here we are. Almost a year later. Same ol' poor shooting. Same ol' disappearing acts.

Yeah yeah. I know. "He's still young". "Just wait till next year". Then I'll be really sorry. :rolleyes

wildbill2u
03-22-2005, 05:29 PM

With all due respect, I remember this happening in games last fall as well. We all like Tony's game and tend to make excuses for him. I'm just looking for a 'cure' rather than trying to beat up on him for one game or several.

picnroll
03-22-2005, 05:30 PM
So basically you're bitching that he hasn't become the superstar that can carry the team every single night. Can drive to the basket or hit the three pointer at will whenever the Spurs need it.

IceColdBrewski
03-22-2005, 05:44 PM
So basically you're bitching that he hasn't become the superstar that can carry the team every single night.

Bitching? No. Just stating the obvious.

tmcooley
03-22-2005, 05:49 PM
I was at the game in Madison Square Garden last night and let me tell you.........there were tons of Spurs fans in the seats! I have been to the Plalace of Auburn HIlls, the Continental Airline Arena in New Jersey but never have I seen an arena outside of SA with cheering Spurs fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!

picnroll
03-22-2005, 05:50 PM
That he dosen't perform like a superstar or you bitch. Okay.

Solid D
03-22-2005, 05:51 PM
I was at the game in Madison Square Garden last night and let me tell you.........there were tons of Spurs fans in the seats! I have been to the Plalace of Auburn HIlls, the Continental Airline Arena in New Jersey but never have I seen an arena outside of SA with cheering Spurs fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's cool! Did you ever go to the Alamodome when the Spurs played the Rockets and they opened up the upper level? Those Rockets fans used to drive down I10 and buy up tickets. Lots of fights and verbal smak. :)

grjr
03-22-2005, 05:54 PM
I'm losing faith in Parker. I thought he had turned the corner, but now is surrendering after halftime. He plays well in the first quarter and then it's been downhill from there. It's been that way for a while now.

Maybe Pop needs to put Beno in a little earlier than he has been. Tony has been playing the whole first quarter hasn't he? How about putting Beno in with 3 or 4 minutes left in the quarter and resting Tony until the 7 or 8 minute mark of the 2nd quarter?

Rinse and repeat in the 2nd half. This should keep Tony fresher for the end of the game also.

tmcooley
03-22-2005, 05:55 PM
Yeah I have been to the alamodome and that place would get loud.
In the lobby of Madison Square garden, there is this huge poster of Malik Rose in a NYK jersey. To me he'll be a Spur forever.!

OH and in the stands, the NYK fans were booing Malik in the first half b/c he ws blowing layups and missing shots. Those NYK fans a ruthless.

TDfan2007
03-22-2005, 09:30 PM
The game is so much easier for Tony(and all of the Spurs for that matter) when Tim is in the game. Tony has to work very hard to get his points now and that will wear on Tony after 35 minutes of playing end to end basketball.

cherylsteele
03-22-2005, 09:41 PM
Parker's late game problems even arose when we won the title.....the difference is we were winning and Speedy came in, stepped up.....and literally saved the day.....Beno has show flashes of that, but being a rookie is still trying to find that part of the game.....If Speedy were still here we may not even be talking about this problem.....Unfortunately he went elsewhere to start...can't really blame him.

whottt
03-22-2005, 09:44 PM
Parker needs to cut back on the Eva the day before the game...This 4th quarter thing only recently returned.

MI21
03-22-2005, 09:46 PM
Maybe Pop needs to put Beno in a little earlier than he has been. Tony has been playing the whole first quarter hasn't he? How about putting Beno in with 3 or 4 minutes left in the quarter and resting Tony until the 7 or 8 minute mark of the 2nd quarter?

Rinse and repeat in the 2nd half. This should keep Tony fresher for the end of the game also.

Nice.

Parker needs the rest much like Manu needs the rest, those 2 play frantic on offense and unlike most of the NBA, expend a lot of energy on defense as well.

The whole season it has been let Parker and the bench carry the load for the first half/3quarters with nice input from Manu and Tim, and then cut Manu and Tim free in the 4th for the killer blow. Parker has to adjust to that in these games where Manu is not fit and Tim is out, by pacing himself better so he can have something left in the 4th. It's a learning curve, I'm sure he'll be better for the experience.