PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Duncan: ‘There's No Magic Answer'

duncan228
04-26-2009, 10:15 PM
Duncan: ‘There's no magic answer' (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Duncan_Theres_no_magic_answer.html)
Jeff McDonald

The Spurs know how high the odds are stacked against them in their first-round series against the Mavericks.

They are down 3-1, a deficit overcome only eight times in NBA history. It is history the Spurs will force themselves to ignore as the series resumes with Game 5 on Tuesday at the AT&T Center.

“We have to, or we're going to go home,” Spurs forward Tim Duncan said. “There's no two ways about it. There's no magic answer. We're going to go home and try to win that one.”

If not, it would mark an especially early vacation for Duncan. The Spurs have failed to advance past the first round just once since he joined in the team in 1997-98.

That early ouster came in 2000 against Phoenix, a series Duncan missed while nursing a knee injury.

Even before they left Dallas after Saturday's 99-90 loss in Game 4, the Spurs knew the history.

The last time a team recovered to win a series after falling in a 3-1 hole was 2006, when the Suns beat the Lakers in the first round. Later that postseason, the Spurs nearly pulled off the same feat against Dallas — but lost Game 7 at home in overtime.

“We know what's at stake,” Spurs swingman Ime Udoka said. “It's a chance for us to make something special out of this series.”

Time and a half: Duncan and Tony Parker each logged more than 40 minutes in Game 4, the first time that had happened this season in a regulation game.

Parker, who had only 12 of his career playoff-high 43 points after the half, appeared drained in the fourth quarter. By the end, his legs had cramped up on him.

“I was tired,” Parker said.

Duncan, who has been battling sore knees since just after the All-Star break, said he did not think the extra workload would bother him in Game 5. The Spurs did not practice Sunday.

“I feel as good as I've felt all year,” Duncan said.

Hollins' mea culpa: Ryan Hollins wants to make one thing clear. He did not intend to mock a future Hall of Famer.

In the second half of Game 4, Hollins drew a technical — not to mention the ire of some of his Dallas teammates — after he appeared to taunt Duncan after a putback dunk.

After the game, Hollins told reporters the celebration was not meant to be directed at Duncan. Mortified his actions were construed as a taunt, he says he apologized to Duncan.

“I was actually looking in the crowd,” Hollins said. “I wasn't looking at him. I didn't want him to have the impression that I was trying to taunt him or anything like that. I didn't want to make it seem like that.”

Sean Cagney
04-26-2009, 10:18 PM
Hollins was just hyped as many would be on a putback, I think he is sincere on not trying to taunt the great Timmay. Maybe he is just not trying to get blacked out on by Tim, but I think he did not mean to taunt Timmay and was just excited.

pawe
04-26-2009, 10:23 PM
What has been done cant be undone. TD will bring the hurt next game. We will protect our homecourt Mavs!!!

Russ
04-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Duncan: ‘There's no magic answer' (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Duncan_Theres_no_magic_answer.html)
Jeff McDonald

“We know what's at stake,” Spurs swingman Ime Udoka said. “It's a chance for us to make something special out of this series.”

Great quote. Hope they all feel that way.:flag:

EricB
04-26-2009, 10:34 PM
hollins was just hyped as many would be on a putback, i think he is sincere on not trying to taunt the great timmay. Maybe he is just not trying to get blacked out on by tim, but i think he did not mean to taunt timmay and was just excited.

gmafb

Amuseddaysleeper
04-26-2009, 10:55 PM
nice quote by Udoka, but the role players can say whatever they want to the press, they gotta actually prove it on the court.

Shank
04-26-2009, 11:04 PM
Too bad Udoka's a scrub and can't do shit while he's out there to make a difference anyway. But keep talking, mutant arm.

Udokafan05
04-26-2009, 11:16 PM
Hollins reminds me of Jerome James, make a few good plays in one series, and then gets way to much praise, oh and James lost his series to the spurs.

GO SPURS GO!

crc21209
04-26-2009, 11:19 PM
Hollins can suck a fat one..no namer. TD will bounce back from that BS and this team WILL NOT die easily. It CAN be done! Believe damn it! :flag:

crc21209
04-26-2009, 11:20 PM
Too bad Udoka's a scrub and can't do shit while he's out there to make a difference anyway. But keep talking, mutant arm.

You're a sad excuse for a human being. Mutant arm? Seriously? Wow....get a life.

Shank
04-26-2009, 11:21 PM
Hollins can suck a fat one..no namer. TD will bounce back from that BS and this team WILL NOT die easily. It CAN be done! Believe damn it! :flag:

25/10/7 with 18 FTs should be good enough to win most nights. How much more "bouncing back" can he do in his current shape?

Shank
04-26-2009, 11:22 PM
You're a sad excuse for a human being. Mutant arm? Seriously? Wow....get a life.
:toast

crc21209
04-26-2009, 11:25 PM
25/10/7 with 18 FTs should be good enough to win most nights. How much more "bouncing back" can he do in his current shape?

TD is and always has been a winner. He will not go down without a fight. Put him in a big game must win situation and he always finds a way to pull through...

MannyIsGod
04-26-2009, 11:25 PM
Wait, people are actually upset over Holiins? Why?

E20
04-26-2009, 11:26 PM
Wait, people are actually upset over Holiins? Why?

He yelled and 'taunted' after the putback against Timmy.

Shank
04-26-2009, 11:31 PM

Hollins' mea culpa: Ryan Hollins wants to make one thing clear. He did not intend to mock a future Hall of Famer.

In the second half of Game 4, Hollins drew a technical — not to mention the ire of some of his Dallas teammates — after he appeared to taunt Duncan after a putback dunk.

After the game, Hollins told reporters the celebration was not meant to be directed at Duncan. Mortified his actions were construed as a taunt, he says he apologized to Duncan.

“I was actually looking in the crowd,” Hollins said. “I wasn't looking at him. I didn't want him to have the impression that I was trying to taunt him or anything like that. I didn't want to make it seem like that.”

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124352

Budkin
04-26-2009, 11:40 PM
What has been done cant be undone. TD will bring the hurt next game. We will protect our homecourt Mavs!!!

We didn't protect our home court. That's the problem.

Spork KIller
04-27-2009, 12:44 AM
Hollins owns the tin man!! lol

mrs.purss
04-27-2009, 08:02 AM
Hollins owns the tin man!! lol
says you:lol

Summers
04-27-2009, 09:06 AM
Hollins reminds me of Jerome James, make a few good plays in one series, and then gets way to much praise, oh and James lost his series to the spurs.

GO SPURS GO!

James was way more obnoxious, and intentionally so. Hollins sounds sincere.

Extra Stout
04-27-2009, 09:10 AM
The Spurs' 'hopeful' comments bring to mind the aftermath of Game 3 against the Lakers in 2001. You know they don't really believe what they're saying.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-27-2009, 09:23 AM
The Spurs' 'hopeful' comments bring to mind the aftermath of Game 3 against the Lakers in 2001. You know they don't really believe what they're saying.

Wasn't that game the one where Duncan said "We have to make this last game as hard as possible for them?" or something along those lines when SA was down 0-3

Extra Stout
04-27-2009, 09:28 AM
Wasn't that game the one where Duncan said "We have to make this last game as hard as possible for them?" or something along those lines when SA was down 0-3
Sean Elliott was telling reporters he believed the Spurs would be the first team ever to come back from 0-3, but with a facial expression consistent with being told his family had just been killed.

Yuixafun
04-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Sean Elliott was telling reporters he believed the Spurs would be the first team ever to come back from 0-3, but with a facial expression consistent with being told his family had just been killed.

Man... I didn't want to laugh at that, but I did.

The imagery was great but little on the extreme side with the example.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-27-2009, 10:20 AM

:lol

jack0fspeed
04-27-2009, 10:42 AM
I think it's lame to whine about Hollins "disrespecting" Duncan. First of all, if you don't want him yelling and posing after a big play, how about boxing him out?

Second of all, a good ref doesn't make that call. It's the end of a tight playoff game, and there was no clear taunting. Hollins was doing what players always do after a big play. You don't want a ref's judgement call to be a difference maker in the game. At least most basketball fans wouldn't.

Lastly, I've always respected the Spurs as a basketball team and as an organization ... but the whining and the dirty play has to go. Please. What the team does goes way beyond working the refs. Each and every foul call if followed by the old "who me?" act.

That foul by Duncan on Josh Howard's three is a perfect example. Duncan had no chance to block the shot, yet he ran out and undercut Howard. There a 100% chance that Duncan was trying to injure Howard. Then when the refs make the right call and give him three free throws, we all know what happens next. "Who me?" and then more Popovich working the refs.

But are we talking about that the next day? Nope. It's all about Hollins and his "disrespectfull taunting" of Duncan. All I can say is ... weak.

Dr. Gonzo
04-27-2009, 10:47 AM

lol mutant arm

Timmy should've boxed that bitch out. What Hollins did was no big deal.

tmtcsc
04-27-2009, 11:55 AM
Does anyone realize that a one legged Timmy almost had a tripple double ?

jack0fspeed
04-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Duncan played a lot better in G4. But he hasn't had a good series. Also, clearly the Mavs are going to defend the P&R by focusing on Parker and sending Duncan to the line whenever he gets the ball. That's more a function of a weak Mavs interior defense than the great play of Duncan.

Extra Stout
04-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Yes, Duncan was three assists shy of a triple-double, Parker scored 43 points, and the Spurs still fell well short of a win.

The formula is obvious now. Let Duncan get his, let Parker get his until he tires out, and stop the rest of the players. If Duncan and Parker play well, the Mavs can win 95-90. If one of them plays poorly, the Mavs can win 95-80. If both have an off-game, the Mavs could win 95-60, but they'd probably rest their starters before it gets to that.

arodz
04-27-2009, 12:18 PM

How about just playing and shutting the fuck up. I can't stand these assholes who make a good play and feel the need to scream at the top of their lungs. That's playground shit. He did the same thing when he blocked Geroge Hill's layup. Act like you've been there before...you fucking idiot.

spursfan09
04-27-2009, 01:06 PM

Well most of us know

One legged Timmy >>>>>>>>>>> 85 % of all NBA players

Fingaroll44
04-27-2009, 02:11 PM
There a 100% chance that Duncan was trying to injure Howard.

duncan's trying to hurt someone on purpose? :rollin man shut the hell up

werewolf
04-27-2009, 03:21 PM
duncan's trying to hurt someone on purpose? :rollin man shut the hell up

I don't know if Tim was but Bowen does that shit all the time. I don't mind a little rough play or even an occasional cheap shot but when you try to end someone's career, that's just plain shitty. :nope

Shank
04-27-2009, 04:15 PM
How about just playing and shutting the fuck up. I can't stand these assholes who make a good play and feel the need to scream at the top of their lungs. That's playground shit. He did the same thing when he blocked Geroge Hill's layup. Act like you've been there before...you fucking idiot.

You're right. No one on the Spurs or any other roster in the NBA has ever gotten excited over a big play. They dunk over someone, golf clap and jog to the other side of the court, quoting Bible verses.