PDA

View Full Version : Do the spurs need another all-star on the team....

davi78239
03-22-2005, 11:36 AM
besides a bunch of "role players" around Tim Duncan who can get the spurs over the top at times like these? Ginobili can get to this status, but I wouldn't put him on there quiet yet. Maybe the team needs an all-star perimeter guy like a Ray Allen, Marbury,....to compliment Timmy. What do you all think?

stéphane
03-22-2005, 11:44 AM
lol you really want an opinion?
first who would you loose to make some money to bring an all star?
second these spurs have such a bright future... our 3 role players like each other, know how to play together and will get better season after season... you want to brake it?

FromWayDowntown
03-22-2005, 11:54 AM
besides a bunch of "role players" around Tim Duncan who can get the spurs over the top at times like these? Ginobili can get to this status, but I wouldn't put him on there quiet yet. Maybe the team needs an all-star perimeter guy like a Ray Allen, Marbury,....to compliment Timmy. What do you all think?

They need another all-star -- Tim Duncan. This team goes as far as Tim Duncan takes them, period. Without Tim, there are no titles and there are many, many fewer wins. They might be competitive for a playoff birth without Tim (though I doubt it), but they'd never compete for a title. What the Spurs have works beautifully with Tim, but it all works because of Tim.

As for adding stars for the sake of adding stars -- it seems to me that both Portland and Los Angeles have tried the "many stars, fewer role players" strategy, but neither won a title that way. Can't say I'm inclined to believe that such a strategy is successful in the end.

stéphane
03-22-2005, 11:57 AM
They need another all-star -- Tim Duncan. This team goes as far as Tim Duncan takes them, period. Without Tim, there are no titles and there are many, many fewer wins. They might be competitive for a playoff birth without Tim (though I doubt it), but they'd never compete for a title. What the Spurs have works beautifully with Tim, but it all works because of Tim.

As for adding stars for the sake of adding stars -- it seems to me that both Portland and Los Angeles have tried the "many stars, fewer role players" strategy, but neither won a title that way. Can't say I'm inclined to believe that such a strategy is successful in the end.
i have to agree here good post... you explained in a way better english than i could ever produce what i was thinking

waly.mg
03-22-2005, 12:07 PM
There´s not a perimeter problem
We have TP; Manu, Bowen, Barry, Udrih and Brown.
Do you need more perimeter?
We need a decent Big Guys backup
Horry isn´t TD, without TD we don´t have a Scorer PF or Center, so we lost the paint

bigzak25
03-22-2005, 12:14 PM
there is a perimeter shooting problem and a lack of low post offense without TD.

this has been the case for 2 years now....DRob could get at least get to the line and hit some throws....and dev is looking like the only one with any sack, just like last year....it could get ugly before it gets better....get healthy TD...Pop MUST figure out barry.

Rest Manu, tell TP that you want him attacking in the 4th, so he better pace himself, and give barry heavy minutes at PG and try beno at the 2. Dev and Bruce cover the 3 while horry gets more time at the 4 now that td is out....

rascal
03-22-2005, 12:23 PM
Yes the spurs need another reliable go to star.

Portland was a bad example. Portland remained competitive for years by being agressive in acquiring good players but could not get a franchise player like duncan. And they did it without the benefit or getting lucky in the draft lottery. The spurs had the luck of the draft lottery to build a foundation on. I have no confidence at all that Pop/RC could have built a competitive team without Duncan. Their track record with player acquisistions through Free agency and trades is proof enough.

Add another reliable star with Duncan and the spurs are better than with a bunch of role players or players who aren't there stats wise or with consistency yet.

samikeyp
03-22-2005, 12:26 PM
Ginobili was an all-star this year. Do you think it was a fluke or do you think he can grow into that?

stéphane
03-22-2005, 12:29 PM
Tony and Manu are young they'll keep on playing better...
look at the previous years and look at how they played this year...

and btw rascal you're retarded

Rummpd
03-22-2005, 01:08 PM
This has all been confounded by Manu's health - if he was in for whole game vs. Pistons who knows?

He gets hot and Parker stabalizes again, Spurs will win enough to scrape out 2-3 seed.

Basante to go for title! (TD back of course)

ALVAREZ6
03-22-2005, 01:14 PM
Wow Guys, could you be more greedy?

The Spurs have 2 All-Stars, and a bunch of GOOD players.

Say this to other fans in losing teams, this is just falt out greedy. The Spurs need to play like a team, but they don't need MORE. We have the talent, but I don't know why people are complaining.

boutons
03-22-2005, 02:00 PM
O fuck, not this topic again.

After only the Spurs' "role players", in Pop's system, with no extraordinary/all-star performances, almost won @Suns and @Pistons, this question still comes up?

Medvedenko
03-22-2005, 02:05 PM
The spurs don't need another all-star...they have Manu and Tony....keep alternating solid role players around Tim and they'll compete year in and year out. Take LA for example...they had Shaq and Kobe, with a bunch of other good players...barring any injuries they competed each year and went to the finals 4/5 years. Now that it's blown up, look at them, they are re-building...honesly I would rather be in this position that the spurs are in..but it shows you how vulnerable they are...as most teams are when the superstar player goes down.

ducks
03-22-2005, 02:07 PM
how many all stars did lakers have last year

bigzak25
03-22-2005, 02:18 PM
don't let the term "allstar" blind you....what we need is someone that can hit the 3 consistantly in the playoffs....when the other team dares you to do it....

they are gonna dare tony, manu, bruce, dev, barry and udrih.....horry too....

will barry and udrih be enough to get our "assumed healthy" Spurs over the hump that last years squad couldn't overcome.....a 2 bigman clog the paint, dare the shooters to beat you D? i don't know....

Medvedenko
03-22-2005, 02:30 PM
Ducks...they had 2 all-stars.

cherylsteele
03-22-2005, 05:10 PM
Tony and Manu are young they'll keep on playing better...
look at the previous years and look at how they played this year...

and btw rascal you're retarded

Manu's problem at the moment is injuries and Pop watching his minutes.......if he would have played more who knows......although he has looked timid at times.....he hasn't really dove on the floor or gone to basket in a reckless manner as he has in past......I actually think he is still sore.

benjirh
03-22-2005, 05:56 PM
don't let the term "allstar" blind you....what we need is someone that can hit the 3 consistantly in the playoffs....when the other team dares you to do it....

they are gonna dare tony, manu, bruce, dev, barry and udrih.....horry too....

will barry and udrih be enough to get our "assumed healthy" Spurs over the hump that last years squad couldn't overcome.....a 2 bigman clog the paint, dare the shooters to beat you D? i don't know....

I don't doubt it one bit. As much as we complain about the shooting. I trust these guys a whole lot more that the guys from last year. I think Horry has become more confident now that he is not seen as the "hired gun". And I still have faith in Barry(as much as it is killing me). And Udrih has shown he has potential. If the spurs lose this year it won't be because they can't hit outside shots. And yes I did see the Knick boxscore.

sa_butta
03-22-2005, 06:26 PM
I think our role players more than make up for one all-star, cause
if we did get another all-star we would have to get rid of a big role player
or maybe more than one.
Devin Brown
Tony Parker
Robert Horry
These guys are pretty good

ALVAREZ6
03-22-2005, 06:30 PM
I think our role players more than make up for one all-star, cause
if we did get another all-star we would have to get rid of a big role player
or maybe more than one.
Devin Brown
Tony Parker
Robert Horry
These guys are pretty good
Don't forget we still have Beno who with experience will become a great PG in this league.

And, Barry SHOULD be a great addition to the team...but he's not doing anything.

Also, Luis Scola is supposed to be a Spur for the next season.

The Spurs have a great team, they just need to stay healthy and play consistently throughout a whole game...

If you guys look at the Spurs record, most of the loses are to bad teams that should be wins.

boutons
03-22-2005, 07:25 PM
what "makes up" for having only one super-star is Pop's team concept, team defense, and moving/sharing the ball on offense. The players have bought into Pop's system.

The problem is the Spurs, AS A TEAM, have not been able to EXECUTE team play consistently. eg: last night (it really wasn't just me having a nightmare, was it? they really did play 24 minutes of shit?).

The Spurs are a very moody team, emotionally unstable, manic-depressive.
Some qtr/halves/games, they are manically great, unbeatable, NBA champions-to-be, but some qtr/halves/games, they depressively shitty and very beatable.

Knicks game: First Spurs half, solid, average game, Spurs good enough to beat lottery teams playing lottery ball. Second Spurs half, total zombies, no offense, no defense, "Nightmare on 7th Avenue", lose.

Totally inconsistent from qtr to qtr (4th qtr @TOR, 2nd qtr Sonics@SBC), from half to half (first/second half of @Knicks), from game to game (Pistons game to Knicks game).

And because it's a team concept, the Spurs TEAM plays-good/plays-bad together, and they play-good/play-bad ON BOTH ENDS. eg, a Spurs quarter scoring only 12 points while defense allows 30 pts.

The idea of the Spurs defense holding the other team's offense within reach when/until a Spurs offensive weak-game can scratch out enough points to stay close and finally win just doesn't work out, imo. When the Spurs suck on offense, they defense also sucks. When Spurs offense is hot, the defense doesn't much matter (but it's good anyway, in sync with good offense).

Spurs have none of this super-star-only stuff, like Vince dropping 43 pts on Spurs while the rest of Nets suck and score only 20.

Spurs are live by the team, die-by-the-team. me-first superstars need not apply.

milkyway21
03-22-2005, 07:52 PM

...Elton Brand. I want Elton to play in San Antonio alongside Duncan. He's not injury prone, good defense, one of the few good men who can score & rebound. He's like the DPOY Artest sans the attitude, but a much better one. :rolleyes

cherylsteele
03-22-2005, 08:24 PM
...Elton Brand. I want Elton to play in San Antonio alongside Duncan. He's not injury prone, good defense, one of the few good men who can score & rebound. He's like the DPOY Artest sans the attitude, but a much better one. :rolleyes

When is his current contract up?

The only problem is one can argue he is injury prone.....he has missed an avg. of 20 gms or so each of the last 3 years.

Zydrunas Ilgauskas is another big man......he has been healthy as of late and is putting up solid numbers...he is a free agent at year's end....I would not mind the spurs signing him if they could.

milkyway21
03-22-2005, 08:38 PM
When is his current contract up?
The only problem is one can argue he is injury prone.....he has missed an avg. of 20 gms or so each of the last 3 years.that's the sad thing bec. he just signed a multi-yr contract w/ the Clippers a yr ago that's why we went for Rasho. but, anything is possible. :rolleyes

I know he had injuries but i think they're not as nagging & bad as Ray Allen, Miller, J.O'Neal's & he really look up to Tim Duncan...

dcole50
03-22-2005, 08:41 PM
Marbury?
no offense, but i can't think of a worse guy to bring in than marbury.

gospursgojas
03-22-2005, 08:45 PM
Maybe the spurs should try to draft a big man????

milkyway21
03-22-2005, 08:46 PM
Z is good but my big Q? is what has he done in Cleveland, so far? Despite James' BIG games, they're still losing those road games.... James made 56 the other day and still they lost? that's ridiculous!
We need a player in the middle WHO CAN SCORE... i doubt if Z is the answer right now.

J O'Neal maybe, but he's tied up to a multi-yr contract, too. :cry

cherylsteele
03-22-2005, 09:28 PM
that's the sad thing bec. he just signed a multi-yr contract w/ the Clippers a yr ago that's why we went for Rasho. but, anything is possible. :rolleyes

I know he had injuries but i think they're not as nagging & bad as Ray Allen, Miller, J.O'Neal's & he really look up to Tim Duncan...

I wasn't trying to say he was injury prone....all players can subject to injury.....Tim has had alot of injuries this that doesn't make him him prone to injury......I also think "injury prone" depends on the type of injury......like a Grant Hill thing getting the same area hurt over and over, or Brad Daugherty.

I personally would not mind Elton Brand.....but the bigger question is would tim play center if we were to acquire him in some way.

I see Ilgauksaus is a free agent at years end.....how would the rest of you react if we somehow dumped Rasho's contract and acquired "Z"?

cherylsteele
03-22-2005, 09:36 PM
Z is good but my big Q? is what has he done in Cleveland, so far? Despite James' BIG games, they're still losing those road games.... James made 56 the other day and still they lost? that's ridiculous!
We need a player in the middle WHO CAN SCORE... i doubt if Z is the answer right now.

J O'Neal maybe, but he's tied up to a multi-yr contract, too. :cry

Z, IMHO, would be a huge improvement over Rasho.

Z's career numbers are markedly better than Rasho.....

Z's line (career)
14.9 pts 7.7 rbs 1.9 blks 29.2 min/gm

Rasho's line (career)
7.4 pts 6 rbs 1.3 blks 24.9 min/gm

to me Rasho seems to be only a stop-gap measure until some can be found of note.

Z's has better numbers and on a surgically repaired wheel......Rasho has yet to really come close to expectations on a consistent basis...in fact in many areas he has regressed.

Duncanoypi
04-05-2005, 08:05 AM
as you wish....the Big Dog came to town...

Jimcs50
04-05-2005, 08:11 AM
NO!!!!

2 allstars is all they or any other team needs....anything more is counter productive.

pigknuckles
04-05-2005, 09:53 AM
Spurs have two weaknesses I see, consistant outside shooting and lack of athleticism on front line (minus tim). These are magnified when Tim gets injured. I don't know about another allstar, it wouldn't be possible with our tight budget. But scrappiness and energy (ala malik) can sometimes make up for talent.

Maybe our front office can pull some more rabbits out of the hat.

Useruser666
04-05-2005, 10:22 AM
There is no way in hell the Spurs can afford Z. You do know how much he is making this year right?

smeagol
04-05-2005, 10:49 AM
Yes the spurs need another reliable go to star.

Portland was a bad example. Portland remained competitive for years by being agressive in acquiring good players but could not get a franchise player like duncan. And they did it without the benefit or getting lucky in the draft lottery. The spurs had the luck of the draft lottery to build a foundation on. I have no confidence at all that Pop/RC could have built a competitive team without Duncan. Their track record with player acquisistions through Free agency and trades is proof enough.

Add another reliable star with Duncan and the spurs are better than with a bunch of role players or players who aren't there stats wise or with consistency yet.
Talk about a one trick pony :rolleyes

Is this the only thought that peanut brain of yours can produce?

silverandblackreign
04-05-2005, 12:34 PM
A multitude of All-Star players is usually counter-productive in all sports. Just look at Real Madrid (for anyone familiar with Soccer)...........

smeagol
04-05-2005, 01:37 PM
The spurs don't need another all-star...they have Manu and Tony....keep alternating solid role players around Tim and they'll compete year in and year out. Take LA for example...they had Shaq and Kobe, with a bunch of other good players...barring any injuries they competed each year and went to the finals 4/5 years. Now that it's blown up, look at them, they are re-building...honesly I would rather be in this position that the spurs are in..but it shows you how vulnerable they are...as most teams are when the superstar player goes down.
Funny. A LakerFan gets it while some of our retarded so called spurs fans don't.

Pathetic.