PDA

View Full Version : Atheism on the rise in every single US state.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Booharv
04-27-2009, 12:09 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/27/us/27atheist.html?em

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2009/04/27/us/27atheist.graphic.ready.html

S_A_Longhorn
04-27-2009, 12:11 PM
There should also be another study indicating the IQ level rising in every single state.

xtremesteven33
04-27-2009, 01:15 PM
There should also be another study indicating the IQ level rising in every single state.

:td

mrsmaalox
04-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Hmm, already an hour up and no one has taken the bait :lol

baseline bum
04-27-2009, 01:16 PM
15% of us.

z0sa
04-27-2009, 01:18 PM
77% of the USA still considers themselves some denomination of christian?

i guess john lennon is still wrong for a few more decades.

Richard Cranium
04-27-2009, 01:20 PM
I find those studies hard to believe.

Trainwreck2100
04-27-2009, 01:26 PM

Have you been outside lately, people are getting stupider by the minute.

Xylus
04-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Ahhhhhh yeah.

Gervin44Silas13
04-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Atheists....... SUCK DEVIL BALLS!!!!!!!!!!

.....in HELL!!!!!!

IronMexican
04-27-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm Atheist.

Trainwreck2100
04-27-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm Atheist.

No surprise there, especially after God stopped caring about the raiders.

BacktoBasics
04-27-2009, 01:57 PM
We're spreading like Pig Flu

JoeChalupa
04-27-2009, 01:58 PM
I'm not surprised.

ALVAREZ6
04-27-2009, 01:58 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/27/us/27atheist.html?em

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2009/04/27/us/27atheist.graphic.ready.html
I'd like to have a further study on that 15% of Atheist Americans...I bet they all have better and further education and make more money than average.

JoeChalupa
04-27-2009, 01:59 PM
Here we go........

ALVAREZ6
04-27-2009, 02:00 PM
I'm not surprised.
I'm excited, it gives me hope that Americans are getting smarter and will actually work hard to be able to continue calling this the greatest nation, not depending on entitled beliefs.

ALVAREZ6
04-27-2009, 02:00 PM
Here we go........
lol I'm done

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-27-2009, 02:01 PM
It's only because of all the bandwagoners bailing out of the Church of Manu.

JoeChalupa
04-27-2009, 02:03 PM
I'm excited, it gives me hope that Americans are getting smarter and will actually work hard to be able to continue calling this the greatest nation, not depending on entitled beliefs.

You are entitled to your beliefs as am I. Done.

Trainwreck2100
04-27-2009, 02:11 PM

that makes no sense, a people should not have to subscribe to a belief system to be considered "great"

MiamiHeat
04-27-2009, 02:19 PM
lol

angel_luv
04-27-2009, 02:27 PM
The atheist percentage will increase astromically right after the Rapture happens.
But soon after, that number will decrease again, as people turn to God and become former atheists.
End times harvest! Book it. :)

Revelation 7:9-17-
After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands. And they cried out in a loud voice:
"Salvation belongs to our God,
who sits on the throne,
and to the Lamb." All the angels were standing around the throne and around the elders and the four living creatures. They fell down on their faces before the throne and worshiped God, saying:
"Amen!
Praise and glory
and wisdom and thanks and honor
and power and strength
be to our God for ever and ever.
Amen!"
Then one of the elders asked me, "These in white robes—who are they, and where did they come from?"

I answered, "Sir, you know."

And he said, "These are they who have come out of the great tribulation; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. Therefore,
"they are before the throne of God
and serve him day and night in his temple;
and he who sits on the throne will spread his tent over them.
Never again will they hunger;
never again will they thirst.
The sun will not beat upon them,
nor any scorching heat.
For the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd;
he will lead them to springs of living water.
And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes."

Trainwreck2100
04-27-2009, 02:31 PM
The atheist percentage will increase astromically right after the Rapture happens.
But soon after, that number will decrease again, as people turn to God and become former atheists.

dibs on the telekinesis plasmid

baseline bum
04-27-2009, 02:33 PM

:lol

I Love Me Some Me
04-27-2009, 02:35 PM
"The spirit makes it clear that as time goes on, some are going to give up on the faith and chase after illusions put forth by professional liars. These liars have lied so well and for so long that they've lost their capacity for truth. They will tell you not to get married. They will tell you not to eat this or that food..."

The end is near.

Spur-Addict
04-27-2009, 02:42 PM
"God exists, blah blah blah. I can't prove it, blah blah blah. You must believe, blah blah blah. End of discussion."

baseline bum
04-27-2009, 02:50 PM
RNy6ziOyxoA

Trainwreck2100
04-27-2009, 02:54 PM
RNy6ziOyxoA

that doesn't really belong in an atheist thread

baseline bum
04-27-2009, 02:58 PM
But plasmids and the game Bioshock does?

Trainwreck2100
04-27-2009, 03:01 PM
But plasmids and the game Bioshock does?
the proper netiqutte is for atheist shit to go in religious threads, and religious shit to go in atheist threads.

Dr. Gonzo
04-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Atheism is the new black.

CuckingFunt
04-27-2009, 03:30 PM

I call ElectroBolt.

Trainwreck2100
04-27-2009, 03:32 PM
Atheism is the new black.

black is the new president

I. Hustle
04-27-2009, 03:52 PM
You know what else is on the rise? Homosexual Raider fans. Coincidence?

DarkReign
04-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Its so damn weird...here I am at work, listening to my playlist and the moment I open this thread, what song comes on?

God Hates Us All by Slayer

DarkReign
04-27-2009, 03:54 PM
I call it a sign.

FaithInOne
04-27-2009, 04:07 PM

And it is my continued hope that Americants will remain united against foreigners who make stupid fucking comments like this.

Blake
04-27-2009, 04:50 PM

How exactly will the remaining people account for all the 'taken' Christians?

If I'm left behind, I will say "damn, I guess Rev Hagee was right all along"......right before I take the keys to his [insert expensive car here]

smeagol
04-27-2009, 05:14 PM
The Devil's work

Many PackYao
04-27-2009, 05:33 PM
Its so damn weird...here I am at work, listening to my playlist and the moment I open this thread, what song comes on?

God Hates Us All by Slayer

:toast:tu

dirk4mvp
04-27-2009, 06:32 PM
Or it could just be a really bad taste in music.

Shaolin-Style
04-27-2009, 08:01 PM
People say they know, people say they don't know, people say it's folly to believe in something you have no proof of, yadda yadda.

I find the "intelligence on the decline" stories much more fascinating than the rise of atheism, because that in itself is more newsworthy. If you can find the correlation of the two, I'd be amused :)

Gonna be a great big "I told you so" one way or another eventually

Borosai
04-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Thank God!

E20
04-28-2009, 12:27 AM
lol more like elitism

mavs>spurs2
04-28-2009, 12:37 AM
Lol, why are athiests always so self righteous?

Trainwreck2100
04-28-2009, 12:46 AM

its the christian in them

tp2021
04-28-2009, 12:48 AM
its the christian in them

:lmao

peewee's lovechild
04-28-2009, 06:43 AM
77% of the USA still considers themselves some denomination of christian?

i guess john lennon is still wrong for a few more decades.

John Lennon said that Americans would become atheists?

When the hell did that happen?

peewee's lovechild
04-28-2009, 06:47 AM

In 30-40 years, when you'll still be saying stuff like this and quoting that comic book known as the bible, I'll be laughing.

Of course, you'll probably say something clever like "God takes his time" or "We don't live on God's timeline" or something to that effect.

It's all so clever.

By the way, could you please tell me what happens to Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, etc., during this "Rapture" thing?

LnGrrrR
04-28-2009, 07:32 AM
Atheist here. Not proud atheist, because technically atheism is nothing to be 'proud' of. I'm proud of my critical thinking skills. :)

LnGrrrR
04-28-2009, 07:33 AM
I call ElectroBolt.

I call the crossbow traps, grenade mines, and electric shotgun.

LnGrrrR
04-28-2009, 07:36 AM

Angel_Luv, tell me, do you really think that, if God popped out of the sky and started taking people with him, that wouldn't convert atheists? lol

Or do you think the Rapture will be that just a bunch of people die off suddenly without overt notice from God?

The very fact that you call it a "harvest" honestly freaks me the fuck out.

I Love Me Some Me
04-28-2009, 07:58 AM
If you are certain, certain that faith
Is just a know-nothing mask

Why do you still ask?

Darrin
04-28-2009, 09:54 AM
I'm Atheist.

Me, Too.

Darrin
04-28-2009, 09:56 AM

We have to create our own personal religion--not have one handed to us. It means we've given it thought...most of us anyway.

z0sa
04-28-2009, 09:59 AM
John Lennon said that Americans would become atheists?

When the hell did that happen?

hence why I said 77% of the USA still considers themselves christian to break away from the atheism for a moment and throw out there, Lennon is still wrong for a few more decades considering he said Christianity would die out and it appears to be doing so.

z0sa
04-28-2009, 10:01 AM
We have to create our own personal religion--not have one handed to us. It means we've given it thought...most of us anyway.

completely disagree. the zealots have just as much choice as you do.

peewee's lovechild
04-28-2009, 10:09 AM
hence why I said 77% of the USA still considers themselves christian to break away from the atheism for a moment and throw out there, Lennon is still wrong for a few more decades considering he said Christianity would die out and it appears to be doing so.

He was right.

Church attendance has taken a huge dip and more people are turning away from Christianity every year. Eventually it will die out.

Of course, it will be replaced by something else.

I Love Me Some Me
04-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Atheists always defend their atheism so....I don't know....what's the word....religiously.

bobbybob0
04-28-2009, 10:11 AM
http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,1399073,00.jpg

S_A_Longhorn
04-28-2009, 10:15 AM
http://www.fulvuedrive-in.com/cover/RELIGULOUSDVD.jpg

Bigzax
04-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Atheism on the rise in every single US state.

yeah....and.....so? :wakeup

CuckingFunt
04-28-2009, 10:23 AM
and electric shotgun.

My favorite. That sucker would come in handy in daily life.

Viva Las Espuelas
04-28-2009, 10:50 AM
http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,1399073,00.jpg

probably? i thought the science was settled. nice fail by the athiests. funny that dawkins headed this.

probably

what a campaign
:tu

peewee's lovechild
04-28-2009, 11:03 AM
probably? i thought the science was settled. nice fail by the athiests. funny that dawkins headed this.

probably

what a campaign

Actually, they're probably Agnostics. Agnostics are not sure on the existence of any particular god.

So, you're clever post failed.

Badly.

angel_luv
04-28-2009, 11:05 AM
In 30-40 years, when you'll still be saying stuff like this and quoting that comic book known as the bible, I'll be laughing.

Of course, you'll probably say something clever like "God takes his time" or "We don't live on God's timeline" or something to that effect.

It's all so clever.

By the way, could you please tell me what happens to Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, etc., during this "Rapture" thing?

"You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat.

It is written: 'As surely as I live," says the Lord, 'Every knee will bow before me; Every tongue will confess to God.'

So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God. "

z0sa
04-28-2009, 11:07 AM
He was right.

Church attendance has taken a huge dip and more people are turning away from Christianity every year. Eventually it will die out.

77% still say they're some denomination of christian.

What exactly are you misunderstanding, because its something.

where are these "huge dip in church attendance" numbers?

peewee's lovechild
04-28-2009, 11:14 AM
77% still say they're some denomination of christian.

What exactly are you misunderstanding, because its something.

where are these "huge dip in church attendance" numbers?

Church attendance has been taking a dip for years.

Do some research.

Now, saying you're Christian and actually attending church are two very distinct matters. I work with several people that call themselves Catholics but only one of them actually goes to church.

peewee's lovechild
04-28-2009, 11:14 AM
"You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat.

It is written: 'As surely as I live," says the Lord, 'Every knee will bow before me; Every tongue will confess to God.'

So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God. "

You didn't answer the question.

So, I'll ask it once again:

angel_luv
04-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Angel_Luv, tell me, do you really think that, if God popped out of the sky and started taking people with him, that wouldn't convert atheists? lol

Or do you think the Rapture will be that just a bunch of people die off suddenly without overt notice from God?

The very fact that you call it a "harvest" honestly freaks me out.

Have you not heard of the book "Soul Harvest" from the Left Behind Series by Tim Lahaye and Jerry Jenkins? You should read it. Awesome book; wonderful series.

In answer to your question:
The Pharoah of Egypt who, dealt with Moses, experienced ten incredible plauges on him and his people, and yet still his heart hardened.

People witnessed Jesus' miracles firsthand, yet they did not all believe Jesus is who He said He was.

The same will unfortunately be true regarding some atheists in the Rapture.
Some will repent and turn to God, but not all.
Revelation 9- if you care to read more.

Dr. Gonzo
04-28-2009, 11:18 AM

Do some research.

Now, saying you're Christian and actually attending church are two very distinct matters. I work with several people that call themselves Catholics but only one of them actually goes to church.

Intelligence by Google

Viva Las Espuelas
04-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Actually, they're probably Agnostics. Agnostics are not sure on the existence of any particular god.

So, you're clever post failed.

Badly.

'There's probably no God... now stop worrying and enjoy your life': Atheist group launches billboard campaign

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1106924/Theres-probably-God--stop-worrying-enjoy-life-Atheist-group-launches-billboard-campaign.html

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/49/Donkey-06.jpg

the google should be your friend. :wakeup

peewee's lovechild
04-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Have you not heard of the book "Soul Harvest" from the Left Behind Series by Tim Lahaye and Jerry Jenkins? You should read it. Awesome book; wonderful series.

The Pharoah of Egypt who, dealt with Moses, experienced ten incredible plauges on him and his people, and yet still his heart hardened.

People witnessed Jesus' miracles firsthand, yet they did not all believe Jesus is who He said He was.

Revelation was written by John in the island of Patmos.

He was alone for years. Do you know what happens to your mind when you're alone for that long?

And, there is a cannabis like plant that grows in Patmos. Judging by some of the spectacular descriptive writing that one can find in that book, such as when John describes god's vehicle (car), it was highly probable that John was partaking in some of the substance.

peewee's lovechild
04-28-2009, 11:24 AM
the google should be your friend. :wakeup

Well, I was wrong.

I have no qualms admitting to it.

Viva Las Espuelas
04-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Well, I was wrong.

I have no qualms admitting to it.
if you'd read my original post then it would've saved you from showing your ass.

clambake
04-28-2009, 11:29 AM
honey, if god cared about you, he wouldn't allow the anti-christ to lead you.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-28-2009, 11:30 AM
It's interesting how the most avid atheists are usually from families that were ultra-religious.

I think if you have religion forced on you, religion that doesn't make intuitive sense, it's easy to equate religion with God and turn away from both. Most atheists I know tend to defend their lack of belief with the same fervor in which a lot of the fundamentalist Christians defend their faith.

I did my own soul searching at one point in my life and I know there is a higher power that exists. I'm not a big believer in religion, but I am a big believer in God. Unfortunately most Christian religions have taken the spirituality out of the equation and replaced it with a study in literature. As a result, the current presence and guidance from God and spirituality is taken out of the equation and God feels distant and removed, or not existant at all to a lot of folks.

So I understand the plight of the atheist. I wish there was a way to convey what I know to be real to you all without it being taken in an offensive way, because there is a lot of peace to be had from that knowledge.

Bigzax
04-28-2009, 11:34 AM
Rack da Choppa!

I Love Me Some Me
04-28-2009, 11:42 AM
It's interesting how the most avid atheists are usually from families that were ultra-religious.

I think if you have religion forced on you, religion that doesn't make intuitive sense, it's easy to equate religion with God and turn away from both. Most atheists I know tend to defend their lack of belief with the same fervor in which a lot of the fundamentalist Christians defend their faith.

I did my own soul searching at one point in my life and I know there is a higher power that exists. I'm not a big believer in religion, but I am a big believer in God. Unfortunately most Christian religions have taken the spirituality out of the equation and replaced it with a study in literature. As a result, the current presence and guidance from God and spirituality is taken out of the equation and God feels distant and removed, or not existant at all to a lot of folks.

So I understand the plight of the atheist. I wish there was a way to convey what I know to be real to you all without it being taken in an offensive way, because there is a lot of peace to be had from that knowledge.

Excellent post.

angel_luv
You didn't answer the question.

So, I'll ask it once again:

Jesus Himself answered your question: " I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me—"

The common demoninator and the only thing that will distinguish the saved from those who are eternally lost is Jesus.

The Bible tells us exactly what is going to take place.

Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. Earth and sky fled from his presence, and there was no place for them.
And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life.
The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.
The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done. Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire.
The lake of fire is the second death. If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

"He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true."

He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life. He who overcomes will inherit all this, and I will be his God and he will be my son. But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death."

How does one overcome? Glad you asked. :)

"Then I heard a loud voice in heaven say:
"Now have come the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God,
and the authority of his Christ.
For the accuser of our brothers,
who accuses them before our God day and night,
has been hurled down.
They overcame him
by the blood of the Lamb
and by the word of their testimony;
they did not love their lives so much
as to shrink from death. "

" And everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved"

" If you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved."

John 10:14; Revelation 20:11-15; Revelation 21:5-8; Revelation 12:10-11; Joel 2:32; Romans 10:9-10

LongrrrR: Revelation 14:14-20- I think I know where the Left Behind Authors got their book title from. :)

peewee's lovechild

You have a point there, Jones.

But, maybe some of those atheist friends of yours defend their lack of belief so vigorously because they're just so damn tired of religion being shoved down their throat. Maybe their just tired of being thought of as "stupid" and insane for their non-belief by religious lunatics.

I'm more of an agnostic than an atheist. I'm not sure if there is a god, though I highly doubt it. However, if there should be a god, I wouldn't give a shit. What the hell kind of god allows all this hatred . . . this evil? For what purpose other than to make itself feel good and relevant?

If there is a god, it's a pretty damn weak entity who obviously doesn't need us, so why are people so hell bent to kiss it's ass?

peewee's lovechild
04-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Jesus Himself answered your question: " I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me—"

The common demoninator and the only thing that will distinguish the saved from those who are eternally lost is Jesus.

The Bible tells us exactly what is going to take place.

How does one overcome? Glad you asked. :)

John 10:14; Revelation 20:11-15; Revelation 21:5-8; Revelation 12:10-11; Joel 2:32; Romans 10:9-10

LongrrrR: Revelation 14:14-20- I think I know where the Left Behind Authors got their book title from. :)

The Left Behind series is Gospel now?

Interesting.

Anyway, you still didn't answer the question. You did nothing but post scripture text.

Do you not have your own mind?

I want you to tell me in your own words what will happen to Jews, Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists, atheists, etc., when the "Rapture" comes.

Go ahead, formulate it in your own words if you can.

Trainwreck2100
04-28-2009, 11:46 AM
You have a point there, Jones.

But, maybe some of those atheist friends of yours defend their lack of belief so vigorously because they're just so damn tired of religion being shoved down their throat. Maybe their just tired of being thought of as "stupid" and insane for their non-belief by religious lunatics.

I'm more of an agnostic than an atheist. I'm not sure if there is a god, though I highly doubt it. However, if there should be a god, I wouldn't give a shit. What the hell kind of god allows all this hatred . . . this evil? For what purpose other than to make itself feel good and relevant?

If there is a god, it's a pretty damn weak entity who obviously doesn't need us, so why are people so hell bent to kiss it's ass?

maybe said religious people are tired of having atheism shoved down their throat, being thought of as "stupid" for their belief by non-religious lunatics

peewee's lovechild
04-28-2009, 11:48 AM
maybe said religious people are tired of having atheism shoved down their throat, being thought of as "stupid" for their belief by non-religious lunatics

Christianity has been around for 2,000 years. People have been killed in it's name. Nations have been destroyed in its name. Entire races of people have almost been exterminated in its name during those 2,000 years.

The atheist movement is an embryo compared to Christianity.

Your post makes no sense.

angel_luv
04-28-2009, 11:54 AM
The Left Behind series is Gospel now?

Interesting.

Anyway, you still didn't answer the question. You did nothing but post scripture text.

Do you not have your own mind?

I want you to tell me in your own words what will happen to Jews, Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists, atheists, etc., when the "Rapture" comes.

Go ahead, formulate it in your own words if you can.

No, the series is not Gospel. Just a very interesting fiction series on how two devoted Christians think the prophecies of Revelation could play out.

I believe the Rapture happens pre tribulation.

So I think God is first going to Rapture all the believers in Christ from the earth.
So at that point all the Jews, Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists, atheists, and all those "Christians" who attend church but never committed to Jesus, will all be left behind.

I believe the Anti Christ will rise to power. I believe plagues are going to hit the earth. I believe every person remaining will have as long as they survive to repent and choose Jesus.
Those who do will have an eternal Heaven with God.

Those who reject God and choose Satan and accept the mark of the beast will, sadly, go to hell.

No one will accidentally end up in either Heaven or Hell. Everyone will chose their eternal home for themselves.

Trainwreck2100
04-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Christianity has been around for 2,000 years. People have been killed in it's name. Nations have been destroyed in its name. Entire races of people have almost been exterminated in its name during those 2,000 years.

yeah that has absolutely nothing to do with what i said

Blake
04-28-2009, 11:58 AM

so basically you're saying you know God exists because you feel his presence on a spiritual level.

if you aren't a believer in religion or studying literature, do you think the Bible is truth or lies?

clambake
04-28-2009, 11:58 AM
oh, i get it. if you don't choose god, then it means you choose satan.

hmmmmm, what to do, what to do....

angel_luv
04-28-2009, 12:00 PM
oh, i get it. if you don't choose god, then it means you choose satan.

hmmmmm, what to do, what to do....

"I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live."
( Deut 30:19)

Blake
04-28-2009, 12:02 PM
He was right.

on a side note, studies have shown that church goers have lower levels of stress.

just sayin

Dr. Gonzo
04-28-2009, 12:03 PM

Atheism has been around for just as long. Do you really think that everybody back then believed in God?

clambake
04-28-2009, 12:03 PM
"I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live."
( Deut 30:19)

why did god fail you and allow the antichrist to lead you?

Blake
04-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Those who reject God and choose Satan and accept the mark of the beast will, sadly, go to hell.

what if you accept the mark, but then change your mind the next day.......will it come off?

angel_luv
04-28-2009, 12:07 PM
why did god fail you and allow the antichrist to lead you?

Jesus has never failed me.

I can tell you story after story of how Jesus has intervened wonderfully on my behalf, if you would like to hear. :)

Can I explain God, Jesus, and the Bible to anyone's complete satisfaction? No- not even my own.
But that is where faith comes in.

God Honors faith.
( Hebrews 11 and my own life testify of that, as do the lives of countless others.) :)

clambake
04-28-2009, 12:09 PM
angel hates direct questions.

angel_luv
04-28-2009, 12:09 PM
what if you accept the mark, but then change your mind the next day.......will it come off?

From my understanding of Scripture, there is no turning back once you chose the mark of the beast, offered by the Anti Christ.

clambake
04-28-2009, 12:12 PM
who here chose the mark of the beast? have atheist chosen the mark of the beast?

Blake
04-28-2009, 12:17 PM
From my understanding of Scripture, there is no turning back once you chose the mark of the beast, offered by the Anti Christ.

really? so a murderer without the mark can still receive salvation in these times........

but if you take the mark? you are eternally screwed, even if you have done nothing but do what "Caesar" tells you to do.

The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.
The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done. Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire.

what fair judge would ever say that murder is a less offense than taking a "mark" that the government leader says to take?

Blake
04-28-2009, 12:20 PM

I can tell you story after story of how Jesus has intervened wonderfully on my behalf, if you would like to hear. :)

Can I explain God, Jesus, and the Bible to anyone's complete satisfaction? No- not even my own.

God Honors faith.
( Hebrews 11 and my own life testify of that, as do the lives of countless others.) :)

here's the great thing about prayers:

when prayer apparently works, it is the faith in God that moved the mountain...

when prayer apparently doesn't work, it was God's will that it wasn't answered.

It's a win/win for the preacher.

Phenomanul
04-28-2009, 12:22 PM
angel hates direct questions.

And some of you are apparently in love with useless rhetoric...

Why bother asking questions, coyishly seeking out someone else's opinion, if you honestly don't care to actually listen to what they have to say...???

Do you get a rise out of the 'mockery'? Does it help you justify your own belief set?

Nevermind... I can play that game too.

As someone else mentioned... Atheists are a zealous lot themeselves... What's worse is they don't even know it... "Do as I say, not as I do" :rolleyes

clambake
04-28-2009, 12:29 PM
And some of you are apparently in love with useless rhetoric...

Why bother asking questions, coyishly seeking out someone else's opinion, if you honestly don't care to actually listen to what they have to say...???

Do you get a rise out of the 'mockery'? Does it help you justify your own belief set?

Nevermind... I can play that game too.

As someone else mentioned... Atheists are a zealous lot themeselves... What's worse is they don't even know it... "Do as I say, not as I do" :rolleyes

relax.

no way in hell do i think you're as batshit crazy as angel.

peewee's lovechild
04-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Atheism has been around for just as long. Do you really think that everybody back then believed in God?

The Atheist movement is an entirely different thing.

You know better.

velik_m
04-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Personally, i think if there is no amount of evidence that can prove the existence of god (and it isn't - it's a matter of belief) then what difference does it make if god exists or not? And if there is no difference, why believe? By Occam's razor the existence of god is unneeded variable, i know i certainly don't need him to exist. And that's why i'm an atheist.

So not only is your god a sadistic bastard, he also has an enormous need to feed his ego (low self-esteem issues?) and created us for the sole purpose of worshiping him.

I believe the Anti Christ will rise to power. I believe plagues are going to hit the earth. I believe every person remaining will have as long as they survive to repent and choose Jesus.

No one will accidentally end up in either Heaven or Hell. Everyone will chose their eternal home for themselves.

Why doesn't the god destroy the Anti-Christ? Anyhow - eternal sounds like hell to me - whether it's torment or bliss. Who wants to live forever anyway?

Also i find it kind of funny that christians focus so much on negatives of not believing and so little on positives of believing. I mean you get detail descriptions of hell and how non-believers will suffer but so little is written of the good the believers will receive.

The very fact that you call it a "harvest" honestly freaks me the fuck out.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/RaevenBlack/Junk/wraith.jpg

It's harvest time!

Never in my life have i been aproached by atheists "to change my ways", they never showed on my doorsteps trying to convert me either. Happened a lot of times with religous zealots though.

Maybe in America, not so much in Europe. I was raised by atheists. Religion was never discussed much in my family, maybe that i'why i have no need for it.

Trainwreck2100
04-28-2009, 12:34 PM

No its not, its just more widely accepted

Trainwreck2100
04-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Never in my life have i been aproached by atheists "to change my ways", they never showed on my doorsteps trying to convert me either. Happened a lot of times with religous zealots though.

Start an i love jesus thread here and see what happens. And :lmao:lmao:lmao jahovas :lol:lol:lol you're example is the jahovas, :lol:lol nobody likes the jahovas

I. Hustle
04-28-2009, 12:37 PM

You are kidding right? I mean ok maybe the NAME atheist hasn't been around that long but do you really believe that way of thinking is new? You really think it hasn't been around longer than Christianity?

I am not arguing for or against either argument I just thought that was a stupid statement.

Dr. Gonzo
04-28-2009, 12:38 PM

You know better.

lol movement

It's the same shit. A bunch of people that think they are too intelligent to believe in God but will go crying and praying to God when something terrible happens in their life.

peewee's lovechild
04-28-2009, 12:40 PM
No, the series is not Gospel. Just a very interesting fiction series on how two devoted Christians think the prophecies of Revelation could play out.

So I think God is first going to Rapture all the believers in Christ from the earth.
So at that point all the Jews, Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists, atheists, and all those "Christians" who attend church but never committed to Jesus, will all be left behind.

So, those who wish to stay true to their religious beliefs will be killed by god?

peewee's lovechild
04-28-2009, 12:44 PM
You are kidding right? I mean ok maybe the NAME atheist hasn't been around that long but do you really believe that way of thinking is new? You really think it hasn't been around longer than Christianity?

I am not arguing for or against either argument I just thought that was a stupid statement.

I never said it was a new way of thinking, nimrod.

The movement is new, comparatively.

Of course there has been people who either questioned the existence of god or flat out denied it, but there was never a movement for atheism until relatively recently.

It has certainly not been around longer than Christianity.

DarkReign
04-28-2009, 12:46 PM
I love these threads.

peewee's lovechild
04-28-2009, 12:46 PM
A bunch of people that think they are too intelligent to believe in God but will go crying and praying to God when something terrible happens in their life.

Probably.

I. Hustle
04-28-2009, 12:47 PM
What's funny is how much better you people are than everyone else. All I read on here is " You are so stupid because you are not like me". Wow you are so smart and above everyone. You should teach a class on how to be as badass as you.

That goes to everyone on here. Stupid asses

peewee's lovechild
The first individuals to self-identify as "atheist" appeared in the 18th century. Today, about 2.3% of the world's population describes itself as atheist, while a further 11.9% is described as nontheist.[4] Up to 65% of Japanese describe themselves as atheists, agnostics, or non-believers; and up to 48% in Russia.[5] The percentage of such persons in European Union member states ranges between 6% (Italy) and 85% (Sweden).[5]

peewee's lovechild
What's funny is how much better you people are than everyone else. All I read on here is " You are so stupid because you are not like me". Wow you are so smart and above everyone. You should teach a class on how to be as badass as you.

That goes to everyone on here. Stupid asses

And yet, you are posting here.

Stupid ass.

Dr. Gonzo
04-28-2009, 12:49 PM
Peewee is so intelligent. He can Google.

ALVAREZ6
04-28-2009, 12:49 PM
He was right.

Hopefully, for the benefit of humanity, with nothing.

I hope more people understand nothing is perfectly fine.

peewee's lovechild
04-28-2009, 12:51 PM
Peewee is so intelligent. He can Google.

You want a dissertation?

clambake
04-28-2009, 12:51 PM
Hopefully, for the benefit of humanity, with nothing.

I hope more people understand nothing is perfectly fine.

i think this means you choose the mark of the beast.

someone said that.

LnGrrrR
04-28-2009, 12:52 PM
My favorite. That sucker would come in handy in daily life.

You can share it with me then. lol

BioShock 2 comes out in October.

Dr. Gonzo
04-28-2009, 12:55 PM
You want a dissertation?

It's just funny that all your arguments are based on either Google or Wikipedia.

angel_luv
04-28-2009, 12:55 PM
So, those who wish to stay true to their religious beliefs will be killed by god?

I am not one who is into debates.

But this question occurred to me...

What does it say/ show of other peoples' gods if their gods cannot/ do not act to save them from the wrath of God?

You seem to make the assumption that other peoples are at the mercy of the Christian god.

Reminds me of this account:

1 Kings 18:16-39

So Obadiah went to meet Ahab and told him, and Ahab went to meet Elijah.

When he saw Elijah, he said to him, "Is that you, you troubler of Israel?"

"I have not made trouble for Israel," Elijah replied. "But you and your father's family have. You have abandoned the LORD's commands and have followed the Baals.

Now summon the people from all over Israel to meet me on Mount Carmel. And bring the four hundred and fifty prophets of Baal and the four hundred prophets of Asherah, who eat at Jezebel's table."

So Ahab sent word throughout all Israel and assembled the prophets on Mount Carmel.

Elijah went before the people and said, "How long will you waver between two opinions? If the LORD is God, follow him; but if Baal is God, follow him."
But the people said nothing.

Then Elijah said to them, "I am the only one of the LORD's prophets left, but Baal has four hundred and fifty prophets.

Get two bulls for us. Let them choose one for themselves, and let them cut it into pieces and put it on the wood but not set fire to it. I will prepare the other bull and put it on the wood but not set fire to it.

Then you call on the name of your god, and I will call on the name of the LORD. The god who answers by fire—he is God."
Then all the people said, "What you say is good."

Elijah said to the prophets of Baal, "Choose one of the bulls and prepare it first, since there are so many of you. Call on the name of your god, but do not light the fire."

So they took the bull given them and prepared it.
Then they called on the name of Baal from morning till noon. "O Baal, answer us!" they shouted. But there was no response; no one answered. And they danced around the altar they had made.

At noon Elijah began to taunt them. "Shout louder!" he said. "Surely he is a god! Perhaps he is deep in thought, or busy, or traveling. Maybe he is sleeping and must be awakened." So they shouted louder and slashed themselves with swords and spears, as was their custom, until their blood flowed.

Midday passed, and they continued their frantic prophesying until the time for the evening sacrifice. But there was no response, no one answered, no one paid attention.

Then Elijah said to all the people, "Come here to me." They came to him, and he repaired the altar of the LORD, which was in ruins.

Elijah took twelve stones, one for each of the tribes descended from Jacob, to whom the word of the LORD had come, saying, "Your name shall be Israel."

With the stones he built an altar in the name of the LORD, and he dug a trench around it large enough to hold two seahs [a] of seed.

He arranged the wood, cut the bull into pieces and laid it on the wood. Then he said to them, "Fill four large jars with water and pour it on the offering and on the wood."

"Do it again," he said, and they did it again.
"Do it a third time," he ordered, and they did it the third time.
The water ran down around the altar and even filled the trench.

At the time of sacrifice, the prophet Elijah stepped forward and prayed: "O LORD, God of Abraham, Isaac and Israel, let it be known today that you are God in Israel and that I am your servant and have done all these things at your command.

Answer me, O LORD, answer me, so these people will know that you, O LORD, are God, and that you are turning their hearts back again."

Then the fire of the LORD fell and burned up the sacrifice, the wood, the stones and the soil, and also licked up the water in the trench.

When all the people saw this, they fell prostrate and cried, "The LORD -he is God! The LORD -he is God!"

ALVAREZ6
04-28-2009, 12:56 PM
No its not, its just more widely accepted
Atheism is widely accepted????

ALVAREZ6
04-28-2009, 12:58 PM
i think this means you choose the mark of the beast.

someone said that.
perfectly fine with me, I don't believe in "the beast"

clambake
04-28-2009, 12:59 PM
time for the little white jackets......with the arms that tie in the back.

I. Hustle
04-28-2009, 01:01 PM
I never said it was a new way of thinking, nimrod.

The movement is new, comparatively.

Of course there has been people who either questioned the existence of god or flat out denied it, but there was never a movement for atheism until relatively recently.

It has certainly not been around longer than Christianity.

OK so if people are questioning the existence of a god or denying it and instead preach a form of science or believing only in what you can see or feel is that not a movement?
The movement is not new it just has a name now.

It's funny that you would use a biblical name to try to insult me (Nimrod). Are you walking the fence there P dub?

peewee's lovechild
04-28-2009, 01:02 PM
It's just funny that all your arguments are based on either Google or Wikipedia.

?

Richard Dawkins started the New Atheist Movement no more than a decade ago. There was also a similar movement years prior to that.

You don't need google for that if you know who he is.

Dr. Gonzo
04-28-2009, 01:02 PM
Suuuuuuuure buddy

baseline bum
04-28-2009, 01:03 PM

probably

what a campaign

You thought wrong, which is par for your posts. If you ever listen to anything Dawkins says, he's technically an agnostic because no one has proved 100% that there is no god.

peewee's lovechild
I am not one who is into debates.

But this question occurred to me...

What does it say/ show of other peoples' gods if their gods cannot/ do not act to save them from the wrath of God?

You seem to make the assumption that other peoples are at the mercy of the Christian god.

Reminds me of this account:

Once again, you show that you are not given to rational thought.

You depend only on biblical text.

Trainwreck2100

than 2000 years ago, yes now quit half assing it and read the whole thread. Instead of talking out of your ass.

peewee's lovechild
04-28-2009, 01:06 PM
OK so if people are questioning the existence of a god or denying it and instead preach a form of science or believing only in what you can see or feel is that not a movement?
The movement is not new it just has a name now.

It's funny that you would use a biblical name to try to insult me (Nimrod). Are you walking the fence there P dub?

im·rod (nĭm'rŏd')
n.

Informal A person regarded as silly, foolish, or stupid.

As for your movement comment, like I said before, atheism as a movement is relatively new.

angel_luv
04-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Once again, you show that you are not given to rational thought.

You depend only on biblical text.

Not true.

I gave a Biblical (also historical since that event took place) illustration of the very legitimate question I posed to you.

If all the other gods you mentioned are so wonderful and great, wouldn't they make their presence known and felt on behalf of their people?

I. Hustle
And yet, you are posting here.

Stupid ass.

I didn't call every person that is posting in here stupid. Just people like you.

I don't understand why people can't debate without trying to put down the other person. I just like calling people idiots which is why I am in here. I am not arguing for either side.

LnGrrrR
Atheists always defend their atheism so....I don't know....what's the word....religiously.

I think it's more of a defense of the value of critical thinking.

baseline bum
04-28-2009, 01:08 PM

Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But He loves you. -- George Carlin

sonic21
04-28-2009, 01:09 PM

200 years ago it was not accepted to be an atheist because you couldn’t explain creation and other things, but now it's ok to be an atheist.

resistanze
These kinda threads prove that in the end, it had nothing to do with religion. Humans are simply obnoxious and insufferable whether they believe in a man in the sky or not.

peewee's lovechild
Not true.

I gave a Biblical (also historical since that event took place) illustration of the question I posed to you.

If all the other gods you mentioned are so wonderful and great, wouldn't they make their presence known and felt on behalf of their people?

The Christian god hasn't made its presence known to anyone.

I. Hustle
04-28-2009, 01:10 PM
As for your movement comment, like I said before, atheism as a movement is relatively new.

I still disagree but hey it's cool

Where do you think the name Nimrod originated? Why do you think it stands for silly or foolish? Just sayin'

angel_luv

It has been my experience that when your perspective is eternal, your priorities change.

Man's critical thinking is God given and therefore has its use.

However, critical thinking ought not to be the ultimate factor in decision making.
God's Word should always come first.

Phenomanul
relax.

no way in hell do i think you're as batshit crazy as angel.

Though the escatological doctrines may differ depending on who you ask... I still believe in most of what angel_luv wrote down. It's all in the Bible.

The rapture of the Church...
A final battle at the valley of Megiddo...

The fact that many biblical prophecies are coming true...

Worldwide currency? Even 100 years ago people would believed that to be a far-fetched concept... all of these economic problems will eventually push us there... the concept is no longer as far-fetched...

For that matter, the formation of The European Union... a step in that direction... was prophesized in the Bible as a 'reconstruction' of the Roman empire (part of it anyways)...

The return of Jewish people to Israel...

Despite all the cultural, 'religious', racial, and social-economic differences that divide our world today, can anyone honestly believe that one man will eventually rise to power to lead and unite the entire globe...??? Amidst pestilence, famine, and war the world will one day grow weary of so much strife... one day they will clamor for "peace" at any cost... it is on that day the profesized anti-Christ will rise to power and make a covenant with Israel and the world... and 'everyone' will embrace him for it... Is that so far-fetched??? Not in today's world - where most everyone is up-to-speed with the lastest news, no matter what part of the world it originated in...

Crazy? nah... angel_luv is one of the boldest members in this forum... She always states what she beliefs, despite the mockery. She is gracious and curteous enough to answer your questions despite the fact that you all are getting a rise out of her responses... Does she hate you all for it? No... it compels her to bestow even more grace.... What's worse, is that you all fail to realize that she is more true to herself than you all have ever demonstrated about yourselves...

Would I take her approach? Probably not... I'm a bit more fiery...

Most importantly I do believe that... one day, "every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is LORD!"

Personally, when that day comes... I would rather make that confession as part of the the heavenly battlecry... rather than as a member of the defeated and conquered.

ALVAREZ6
04-28-2009, 01:11 PM
What study is this based on? Just from my experience, I know tons of people who are from super-religious families that have never questioned religion to the extent that others might have because they don't want to upset their parents. The majority of people I know that are agnostic or atheist have come from catholic families, but most not ultra-religious at all...just a relaxed religious family that keeps it going for tradition purposes. Of course, there's a little bit of everything though.

Unfortunately most Christian religions have taken the spirituality out of the equation and replaced it with a study in literature. As a result, the current presence and guidance from God and spirituality is taken out of the equation and God feels distant and removed, or not existant at all to a lot of folks.

And there are many people who understand this all while not really believing in a formal god...understanding spirituality and living in peace.

LnGrrrR
04-28-2009, 01:11 PM

Ok, I'll give you that point. However, I do not think it was that the Pharaoah disbelieved in God, but that he thought his God was greater, the "True" God, if you would. (I could be wrong, fuzzy on that part.)

You know, come to think of it, what is the point of the "End Times"? Why would God need us all to end our lives and come with him? If it's to experience a better life, then why all the people before the End Times who were born and died normally? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Phenomanul
04-28-2009, 01:12 PM

You know very well that this statement can't be proven either way.

I. Hustle
These kinda threads prove that in the end, it had nothing to do with religion. Humans are simply obnoxious and insufferable whether they believe in a man in the sky or not.

IronMexican

God Honors faith.

Then why are the Spurs down 3-1?

Trainwreck2100
04-28-2009, 01:13 PM
200 years ago it was not accepted to be an atheist because you couldn’t explain creation and other things, but now it's ok to be an atheist.

glad somebody can fucking read

sonic21
04-28-2009, 01:13 PM

because manu doesn't believe in god

ALVAREZ6
04-28-2009, 01:14 PM
than 2000 years ago, yes now quit half assing it and read the whole thread. Instead of talking out of your ass.
WTF are you talking about half assing it I've read, I understand it's more accepted now as we have more laws and protections in our government than 2000 years ago, different cultures, etc.

But I think calling it widely accepted, in this country, is kind of misleading, as if people view atheists equally coming from religious backgrounds.

LnGrrrR
04-28-2009, 01:15 PM
As a friendly reminder:

A-theist = Without belief

A=gnostic = Without knowledge

You can be both. I am an agnostic atheist. You can be a gnostic atheist, a gnostic theist, or an agnostic theist as well.

angel_luv

Then how do you account for the Christian martyrs both from centuries past and present day?

How do you account for the churches that so many people faithfully attend, not for personal recognition, reward, or fear of punishment but from a pure affection for God and His people?

How do you account for me?

How are you going to account for the Rapture when it occurs?

ALVAREZ6
lol, of course, now after we can explain a whole lot of shit and understand the concepts of uncertainties, it makes a lot of sense to be agnostic

clambake

:toast see what i mean?

you should talk angel down from the ledge.

angel_luv
04-28-2009, 01:16 PM

Maybe I prayed for an early vacation from my Spurs job. ;)

z0sa
04-28-2009, 01:16 PM

Do some research.

I have to do research because you're throwing your opinions out there as facts? Why don't you show me your numbers and then we can agree or disagree on what they mean, not the opposite.

I'm still wondering where I went wrong by commenting on Lennon's thus far untrue prediction. Over 3/4 of the USA alone is still considering themselves Christian 40 years after his remark - and, judging from the exponential population growth since that remark, one undoubtedly concludes his prediction as wrong at this point considering Beatles and Lennon records are still selling well today.

angel_luv
04-28-2009, 01:17 PM
:toast see what i mean?

you should talk angel down from the ledge.

No one can talk me out of what I believe.

If they could, then I never really believed it to begin with.

ALVAREZ6
04-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Not true.

I gave a Biblical (also historical since that event took place) illustration of the very legitimate question I posed to you.

Please don't use anything from the bible as a legitimate rationalization.

LnGrrrR
04-28-2009, 01:18 PM
It has been my experience that when your perspective is eternal, your priorities change.

Man's critical thinking is God given and therefore has its use.

However, critical thinking ought not to be the ultimate factor in decision making.
God's Word should always come first.

Maybe Angel_Luv, but there is virtue in living in the now as well. For instance, I do not believe there will be a hereafter. Therefore, I try to cherish life as much as I can, and enjoy it while I'm here. I try to do good works to set an example for others. Etc etc.

Just because YOU think God's word should come first Angel does not mean I have to. And, if you look at the Bible, there are many instances of critical thinking there as well. Look at Solomon. Look at Jesus. Look at Moses. Many heroes of the Bible engage in critical thinking.

peewee's lovechild
04-28-2009, 01:18 PM
I didn't call every person that is posting in here stupid. Just people like you.

I don't understand why people can't debate without trying to put down the other person. I just like calling people idiots which is why I am in here. I am not arguing for either side.

If your not arguing for either side and if you have nothing to say in the matter, then stop posting.

It really is that simple.

Dr. Gonzo
04-28-2009, 01:19 PM
If your not arguing for either side and if you have nothing to say in the matter, then stop posting.

Yeah. Only intelligent Google searching people can post here.

I. Hustle

Nah, I like calling you stupid.

LnGrrrR

So you never really believed in Santa? :D

ALVAREZ6
04-28-2009, 01:20 PM
The fact that many biblical prophecies are coming true...

Worldwide currency? Even 100 years ago people would believed that to be a far-fetched concept... all of these economic problems will eventually push us there... the concept is no longer as far-fetched...

For that matter, the formation of The European Union... a step in that direction... was prophesized in the Bible as a 'reconstruction' of the Roman empire (part of it anyways)...

Please, like it takes any super power to predict worldwide currency...what else is included in these biblical prophecies? Weapon technology will increase with time?

I. Hustle
04-28-2009, 01:21 PM
Yeah. Only intelligent Google searching people can post here.

LOL
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
"Lol" redirects here. For other uses, see Lol (disambiguation).
"Lmfao" redirects here. For the band of the same name, see LMFAO (band).
LOL (also written with some or all letters lowercase) is an abbreviation for laughing out loud[1][2] or laugh out loud.[3] LOL is a common element of Internet slang used historically on Usenet, but now widespread in other forms of computer-mediated communication, and even face-to-face communication. It is one of many initialisms for expressing bodily reactions, in particular laughter, as text, including initialisms such as ROTFL ("roll(ing) on the floor laughing"),[4][5][6][7] a more emphatic expression of laughter, and BWL ("bursting with laughter"), above which there is "no greater compliment" according to technology columnist Larry Magid.[8] Other unrelated expansions include the now mostly historical "lots of luck" or "lots of love" used in letter-writing.[9]

The list of acronyms "grows by the month",[4] and they are collected along with emoticons and smileys into folk dictionaries that are circulated informally amongst users of Usenet, IRC, and other forms of (textual) computer-mediated communication.[10] These initialisms are controversial, and several authors recommend against their use, either in general or in specific contexts such as business communications.

Contents [hide]
1 Analysis
2 Spread from written to spoken communication
3 Variations on the theme
3.1 Corruptions of "LOL"
3.2 Translations in widespread use
3.3 Other languages
4 See also
5 References
6 Further reading

Analysis
Laccetti (professor of humanities at Stevens Institute of Technology) and Molsk, in their essay entitled The Lost Art of Writing,[11][12] are critical of the acronyms, predicting reduced chances of employment for students who use such acronyms, stating that, "Unfortunately for these students, their bosses will not be 'lol' when they read a report that lacks proper punctuation and grammar, has numerous misspellings, various made-up words, and silly acronyms." Fondiller and Nerone[13] in their style manual assert that "professional or business communication should never be careless or poorly constructed" whether one is writing an electronic mail message or an article for publication, and warn against the use of smileys and these abbreviations, stating that they are "no more than e-mail slang and have no place in business communication".

Yunker and Barry[14] in a study of online courses and how they can be improved through podcasting have found that these acronyms, and emoticons as well, are "often misunderstood" by students and are "difficult to decipher" unless their meanings are explained in advance. They single out the example of "ROFL" as not obviously being the abbreviation of "rolling on the floor laughing" (emphasis added). Haig[1] singles out LOL as one of the three most popular initialisms in Internet slang, alongside BFN ("bye for now") and IMHO ("in my humble opinion"). He describes these acronyms, and the various initialisms of Internet slang in general, as convenient, but warns that "as ever more obscure acronyms emerge they can also be rather confusing". Bidgoli[15] likewise states that these initialisms "save keystrokes for the sender but [...] might make comprehension of the message more difficult for the receiver" and that "[s]lang may hold different meanings and lead to misunderstandings especially in international settings"; he advises that they be used "only when you are sure that the other person knows the meaning".

Shortis[7] observes that ROTFL is a means of "annotating text with stage directions". Hueng,[4] in discussing these acronyms in the context of performative utterances, points out the difference between telling someone that one is laughing out loud and actually laughing out loud: "The latter response is a straightforward action. The former is a self-reflexive representation of an action: I not only do something but also show you that I am doing it. Or indeed, I may not actually laugh out loud but may use the locution 'LOL' to communicate my appreciation of your attempt at humor."

David Crystal[16] notes that use of LOL is not necessarily genuine, just as the use of smiley faces or grins is not necessarily genuine, posing the rhetorical question "How many people are actually 'laughing out loud' when they send LOL?". Franzini[2] concurs, stating that there is as yet no research that has determined the percentage of people who are actually laughing out loud when they write "LOL".

Victoria Clarke, in her analysis of telnet talkers,[17] states that capitalization is important when people write "LOL", and that "a user who types LOL may well be laughing louder than one who types lol", and opines that "these standard expressions of laughter are losing force through overuse". Egan[3] describes LOL, ROTFL, and other initialisms as helpful as long as they are not overused. He recommends against their use in business correspondence because the recipient may not be aware of their meanings, and because in general neither they nor emoticons are (in his view) appropriate in such correspondence. June Hines Moore[18] shares that view. So, too, does Lindsell-Roberts,[19] who gives the same advice of not using them in business correspondence, "or you won't be LOL".

Spread from written to spoken communication
This article contains IPA phonetic symbols. Without proper rendering support, you may see question marks, boxes, or other symbols instead of Unicode characters.
LOL, ROFL, and other initialisms have crossed from computer-mediated communication to face-to-face communication. Teenagers now sometimes use them in spoken communication as well as in written, with ROFL (pronounced /ˈroʊfəl/ or /ˈrɒfəl/) and LOL (pronounced /ˈloʊl/, /ˈlɒl/, or /ˌɛloʊˈɛl/), for example. David Crystal—likening the introduction of LOL, ROFL, and others into spoken language in magnitude to the revolution of Johannes Gutenberg's invention of movable type in the 15th century—states that this is "a brand new variety of language evolving", invented by young people within five years, that "extend[s] the range of the language, the expressiveness [and] the richness of the language". Commentators disagree, saying that these new words, being abbreviations for existing, long-used, phrases, don't "enrich" anything; they just shorten it.[20][21]

Geoffrey K. Pullum points out that even if interjections such as LOL and ROTFL were to become very common in spoken English, their "total effect on language" would be "utterly trivial".[22]

Conversely, a 2003 study of college students by Naomi Baron found that the use of these initialisms in computer-mediated communication (CMC), specifically in instant messaging, was actually lower than she had expected. The students "used few abbreviations, acronyms, and emoticons". The spelling was "reasonably good" and contractions were "not ubiquitous". Out of 2,185 transmissions, there were 90 initialisms in total, only 31 CMC-style abbreviations, and 49 emoticons.[21] Out of the 90 initialisms, 76 were occurrences of LOL.[23]

I rest my case!

angel_luv
Ok, I'll give you that point. However, I do not think it was that the Pharaoah disbelieved in God, but that he thought his God was greater, the "True" God, if you would. (I could be wrong, fuzzy on that part.)

You know, come to think of it, what is the point of the "End Times"? Why would God need us all to end our lives and come with him? If it's to experience a better life, then why all the people before the End Times who were born and died normally? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Thank you.

All I am saying about Pharoah regards to the question I posed to Pee Wee.

If Pharoah's god was so great and benevolent, ie. worthy of devotion, would he not have defended Pharoah against Moses' God?

As I said before, I cannot fully explain God's ways to you. He is much more patient with mankind than I could ever be.
All I know to do is to take God's Word for it because He has proven himself true and praiseworthy in my life.

Dr. Gonzo
Please, like it takes any super power to predict worldwide currency...what else is included in these biblical prophecies? Weapon technology will increase with time?

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h290/midgetonadonkey/alvarezbw4.jpg

peewee's lovechild
04-28-2009, 01:22 PM
I still disagree but hey it's cool

Where do you think the name Nimrod originated? Why do you think it stands for silly or foolish? Just sayin'

I don't give a damn where it originated.

If you don't understand the context in which it was used, it only goes to show the limitations of your mind.

Trainwreck2100
04-28-2009, 01:23 PM
WTF are you talking about half assing it I've read, I understand it's more accepted now as we have more laws and protections in our government than 2000 years ago, different cultures, etc.

But I think calling it widely accepted, in this country, is kind of misleading, as if people view atheists equally coming from religious backgrounds.

you read it, then you say "in this country" which i never said. I never said it was widlely accepted, i said it was "more widely accepted."

angel_luv
04-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Please don't use anything from the bible as a legitimate rationalization.

You want me to use my own mind yet here you are telling me how to think and express myself?

Ironic. :)

ALVAREZ6
04-28-2009, 01:25 PM
lol, great example of a flaw in the defense

I. Hustle
04-28-2009, 01:25 PM
I don't give a damn where it originated.

If you don't understand the context in which it was used, it only goes to show the limitations of your mind.

If you don't completely understand the meaning behinds words that you use, it only goes to show the limitations of your mind.
;)

baseline bum
04-28-2009, 01:26 PM

I don't buy the idea that belief leads to less stress. All the bible does is tell you how imperfect and flawed you are, which has to really play mind games with people who are dying. I'd imagine the stress is pretty awful for a believer wondering whether he'll make god's cut, and how he can atone for the "sins" he committed in his time on earth. To answer your likely objection to my first sentence, I don't see how you have Christianity without the bible, since it's the only source on Jesus.

peewee's lovechild

Yes it can.

There has never been a documented case of the christian god making himself known to earthlings.

And, don't give me that trinity crap about Jesus being god because that's the biggest cop out in the history of cop outs.

z0sa
Maybe Angel_Luv, but there is virtue in living in the now as well. For instance, I do not believe there will be a hereafter. Therefore, I try to cherish life as much as I can, and enjoy it while I'm here. I try to do good works to set an example for others. Etc etc

you do know Jesus preached to give away your belongings and rely on the here and now only, right?

Jesus wanted you to live for today, and let him worry about tomorrow.

angel_luv
Maybe Angel_Luv, but there is virtue in living in the now as well. For instance, I do not believe there will be a hereafter. Therefore, I try to cherish life as much as I can, and enjoy it while I'm here. I try to do good works to set an example for others. Etc etc.

Just because YOU think God's word should come first Angel does not mean I have to. And, if you look at the Bible, there are many instances of critical thinking there as well. Look at Solomon. Look at Jesus. Look at Moses. Many heroes of the Bible engage in critical thinking.

Solomon and Moses served God. Jesus is the Son of God and served God His Father.
On the merits of your own examples, thinking should draw you to faith in Jesus and closer to God, not away from Him.

Phenomanul

Nor would I want to... see post #142.

Your approach may be different... But I share most of your beliefs
(with the possible exception of believing that Obama was ever a candidate for embodying the anti-Christ role... even though his policies will likely 'set the table')

z0sa
04-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Yes it can.

There has never been a documented case of the christian god making himself known to earthlings.

And, don't give me that trinity crap about Jesus being god because that's the biggest cop out in the history of cop outs.

you don't really know what you're talking about, do you?

there's probably tens of millions of documented cases of the Spirit revealing itself to people. In the final age before Endtimes, the Bible explicitly predicts a "lukewarm" church, where many of the followers don't actually believe and only go to church or claim God for human gain or acceptance.

angel_luv
04-28-2009, 01:28 PM

No. My parents told me that my gifts came from them.
I was aware of the story of Santa and watched all the santa themed Christmas movies, but the primary focus of Christmas for my family has always been Jesus.

Blake
04-28-2009, 01:29 PM

some people are extremely convinced that they are reincarnated, but that's slightly besides the point.

is the God of the Jews the same as the God of the Christian?

LnGrrrR
04-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Thank you.

If Pharoah's god was so great and benevolent, ie. worthy of devotion, would he not have defended Pharoah against Moses' God?

As I said before, I cannot fully explain God's ways to you. He is much more patient with mankind than I could ever be.
All I know to do is to take God's Word for it because He has proven himself true and praiseworthy in my life.

Given your view on such things Angel, and the Pharaoah's, yes it certainly seems that the Jew's God was greater than the Pharaoah's.

I have not had God's Word enter my life at all, so I can not speak for that. I assume that if God WANTED me to hear his Word, he would find a way to show himself to me, or convince me of his goodness, so that I might use my free will to follow him. However, that has not yet occurred.

peewee's lovechild
Then how do you account for the Christian martyrs both from centuries past and present day?

They got killed for what they believed in. God had nothing to do with that.
And, he sure as hell did make his presence known to those dudes.

How do you account for the churches that so many people faithfully attend, not for personal recognition, reward, or fear of punishment but from a pure affection for God and His people?

What the hell does that have to do with god making his presence known?

How do you account for me?

You're delusional. For crap's sake, you thought Barack Obama was the Anti-Christ!

How are you going to account for the Rapture when it occurs?

It's not going to. I don't subscribe to beliefs based on the comic book known as the bible.

If humanity ends, it will be at the hands of humanity and nothing else.

angel_luv
Nor would I want to... see post #142.

Your approach may be different... But I share most of your beliefs
(with the possible exception of believing that Obama was ever a candidate for embodying the anti-Christ role... even though his policies will likely 'set the table')

Yes I know. :)

Thanks. :)

angel_luv
04-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Given your view on such things Angel, and the Pharaoah's, yes it certainly seems that the Jew's God was greater than the Pharaoah's.

I have not had God's Word enter my life at all, so I can not speak for that. I assume that if God WANTED me to hear his Word, he would find a way to show himself to me, or convince me of his goodness, so that I might use my free will to follow him. However, that has not yet occurred.

Then I pray it will.

I have really enjoyed talking with you. Thanks for taking the time. :)

LnGrrrR
04-28-2009, 01:32 PM
No. My parents told me that my gifts came from them.
I was aware of the story of Santa and watched all the santa themed Christmas movies, but the primary focus of Christmas for my family has always been Jesus.

Ok, I should've seen that one coming. :D

You know what I mean though. You can believe in something at the time, and then change your beliefs later. That does not mean at the time you didn't really believe it though. All children tend to believe SOMETHING that gets changed later... even if it's just the explanation for a magic trick. :)

Dr. Gonzo
If humanity ends, it will be at the hands of humanity and nothing else.

What about a meteor? It could end because of that. Or even a gamma ray burst. Those fuck shit up.

I'll wait for you to search Google for the answer.

z0sa

its a choice, you obviously know about the Bible and what it could possibly do for you should you follow its teaching, the fact you haven't picked it up has nothing to do with God and everything to do with you.

The people where that "reasoning" may exist were the Native Americans who never had a chance to learn about Jesus or God because they lived on the opposite side of the globe.

Phenomanul
Yes it can.

I take it you were there to prove no such events ever transpired.... every single instance?

Billions of events go undocumented each day... I guess if no one documents them then they 'never really' took place... :rolleyes

That's such a strawman... it's pretty silly you would be attempting to use that argument as a logical fort.

LnGrrrR
04-28-2009, 01:33 PM
Then I pray it will.

I have really enjoyed talking with you. Thanks for taking the time. :)

Just because I don't believe, and I share a different worldview from you, doesn't mean I can't get along. :)

I DO wish sometime you would try to think from a NONbeliever's perspective on things, or at least try to do so. I think it would also help you grow as a person, and in your faith, to question how and why you believe.

LnGrrrR
04-28-2009, 01:35 PM
its a choice, you obviously know about the Bible and what it could possibly do for you should you follow its teaching, the fact you haven't picked it up has nothing to do with God and everything to do with you.

Are you a troll? I'm guessing you are.

Tell me, you know of Allah correct? Why haven't you started praising his name?

You can not "choose" to believe. You either do believe, or you don't. You can CHOOSE to take actions that will increase or decrease the chances of you believing, but you can not choose to believe or not. There's no 'fake it til you make it' option.

Viva Las Espuelas
04-28-2009, 01:36 PM
What about a meteor? It could end because of that. Or even a gamma ray burst. Those fuck shit up.

i thought al gore told us how we were going to die.

peewee's lovechild
04-28-2009, 01:38 PM
I have to do research because you're throwing your opinions out there as facts? Why don't you show me your numbers and then we can agree or disagree on what they mean, not the opposite.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1058/is_n26_v113/ai_18720688/

Church attendance across denominational lines has suffered a five-year decline and has sunk to its lowest level in two decades, according to research by the Barna Research Group of Glendale, California. "From the early '80s to the early '90s, there has been a definite change," said Bruce Hose, who was director of Sunday school programs for the 1-million-member Alabama Baptist Convention from 1985 to 1995. "Not only has attendance gone down but it is a graying culture, a graying congregation."

Hose said the Assemblies of God, the Southern Baptist Convention and some other denominations have continued to make membership gains, but much of the growth has taken place in newly emerging megachurches. In telephone surveys of 1,004 U.S. adults 18 and over, Barna Research Group said 37 percent of Americans now report going to church on a given Sunday. Attendance peaked in 1991 at 49 percent and dropped to 47 percent in 1992, 45 percent in 1993 and 42 percent in 1994 and 1995, according to the Barna poll numbers. "Increasingly, we are seeing Christian churches lose entire segments of the population: men, singles, empty nesters ... and people who were raised in mainline Protestant churches," wrote pollster George Barna.

"If his poll data is right, it's even worse than what we think we have found," said Samford University researcher Penny Long Marler, who has taken part in studies showing that actual church attendance is only about half of that indicated by telephone polls. "It may be where we're heading."

Many churches have been lulled into a false sense of security for years by Gallup poll figures that appeared to show church attendance remaining constant, Hose pointed out. Gallup polls have remained steady for three decades in reporting that about 43 percent of people say in telephone surveys that they attended church the previous week, Marler said. But with the increasing population, a steady 43 percent church attendance should have resulted in a massive influx of people for the nation's churches. "That's clearly not been the case," Marler said. "Clearly something has been fishy about the polling."

Mainline Protestant churches have lost millions of members over the past three decades, and growth at evangelical Protestant churches has not been nearly large enough to offset those losses, Marler said. Many baby boomers who returned to church while rearing their children have stopped attending since their children have grown up and left home, noted Barna Research Group spokesman Dave Kinnaman. "That's certainly a factor," he said.

According to Kinnaman, the peak in church attendance in 1991 probably had much to do with the Persian Gulf war, the breakdown of the Soviet Union and economic recession. "Those types of issues formed a climate conducive to church attendance," he said. Also influencing increased church attendance was the Willow Creek Community Church model, a trend in "seeker-sensitive" church services based on the corporate-style approach of that suburban Chicago congregation. That model may have lost some of its novelty appeal, Kinnaman ventured.

But Marler, whose studies have pointed out the difference in actual behavior and what people tell pollsters, warned that such fluctuations in polling numbers can be a consequence of sampling error. She said it's very clear, however, that America's church attendance habit has faded. "All denominations, including conservative Protestants, have grown slower. There has been a very large decline in institutional religion."

Marler has teamed with other researchers to study the nation's 78 million "marginal" Protestants who claim a traditional religious identity but are not active in churches. "There are really very few people who do not identify with anything," she said. "They're still saying `I'm a Baptist'--but they don't belong to a local church and they don't go."

Young people are confused about morals and not familiar with religious tradition, and the global youth culture has become pluralistic and relativistic, Marler said. "I don't think anybody's doing much to help them sort it out. It's not just a phase they're going through. There's less of a reason to say they'll come back when they never went in the first place. The reserves of religious tradition are dwindling."

The U.S. may be following many other secular nations in becoming a society without rigorous systems of religious education in which churches, temples and mosques serve as moral training grounds. "It's a valuable tool for moral and ethical training," Marler said. Warning that a relativistic youth culture, without a core ethical tradition, could make for a troublesome society, she added: "I'm not sure what kind of person it would form. We've never tried it."

I Love Me Some Me

It's arrogant and foolish to assume that a believer is incapable of critical thinking.

clambake

You can not "choose" to believe. You either do believe, or you don't. You can CHOOSE to take actions that will increase or decrease the chances of you believing, but you can not choose to believe or not. There's no 'fake it til you make it' option.

you too have chosen the mark of the beast.

someone said that.

baseline bum
Thank you.

Great job by Jesus defending all those poor bastards in the WTC against the hijackers and their god. Where was Jesus when Allah came rolling into town?

peewee's lovechild
I can post more if you like.

clambake
04-28-2009, 01:40 PM

you too have chosen the mark of the beast.

someone said that.

Dr. Gonzo

Your so intelligent. You can google.

baseline bum
I take it you were there to prove no such events ever transpired.... every single instance?

Billions of events go undocumented each day... I guess if no one documents them then they 'never really' took place... :rolleyes

That's such a strawman... it's pretty silly you would be attempting to use that argument as a logical fort.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence argument is horrible, and was destroyed by Bertrand Russell's teapot argument.

angel_luv
Ok, I should've seen that one coming. :D

You know what I mean though. You can believe in something at the time, and then change your beliefs later. That does not mean at the time you didn't really believe it though. All children tend to believe SOMETHING that gets changed later... even if it's just the explanation for a magic trick. :)

:lol I actually misinterpreted your question when I read it.

I thought you were asking if I ever at any point believed in Santa, which I truly did not.

I wasn't being a smart alec intentionally. :lol :angel

CuckingFunt
04-28-2009, 01:41 PM
You can share it with me then. lol

BioShock 2 comes out in October.

All good games should come out in the summer. Putting something like this out in the middle of a semester is just cruel.

z0sa
04-28-2009, 01:42 PM

immediately get called a troll for saying it like it is. It's all on you buddy, for never picking up a Bible. Don't act like its "God's" fault because you decided to ignore his teachings.

Islam came about some 500 years after the last book of the Bible was written, and consistently uses Biblical figures and ideas in its teachings. It's obvious to me that Islam is nothing more than Mohammed's spin on Christianity and Judaism, with himself at the center fold.

You can not "choose" to believe.

It is most definitely the opposite.

You either do believe, or you don't.

False. You have a choice to believe in what you will, it is simply human nature - and God has specifically limited himself in this way. He cannot make the choice for you, he can only give you a (Bible)________ and hope you make the right decision. You don't even know what I believe in, and don't act like you do or I have implied it in any way.

You can CHOOSE to take actions that will increase or decrease the chances of you believing, but you can not choose to believe or not. There's no 'fake it til you make it' option.

There's plenty of "christians" faking it, having chosen to not really believe (and this is predicted in the Bible). They will go to hell, according to their own beliefs.

peewee's lovechild
04-28-2009, 01:42 PM
Nah, I like calling you stupid.

I enjoy reading your retarded posts.

So, keep posting.

Phenomanul
04-28-2009, 01:43 PM

Speak in hindsight all you want...

I'll give you something a bit more concrete...

One day (maybe in our lifetimes... maybe not) the Ark of the Covenant will be found (the bonafide artifact from the Raiders of the Lost Ark movie).

One day the deserts in Israel will begin to bloom.

One day two divine witnesses will come to earth to spread the gospel... They will wield great power, but the world will be blinded by their loyalty to the anti-Christ that they will come to hate them. One day on international television / youtube (or some other "fill in the blank" broadcast medium) they will be murdered and the world will rejoice in their death.

But when that day comes (if we're still around), you'll likely brush these events off as trivialities...

EDIT: For that matter "the every eye will see" concept (used repeatedly in the Bible) is a bit outlandish... at any point in history but our own that is: people today can broadcast anything for all the world to see... Distance is no longer a hindrance for such a profecy to hold weight. How could people a mere 100 years ago even envision the validity of such profecies... With today's technologies now they don't even have to be questioned.... I guess that technological eventuality was common knowledge as well 2,000 years ago, right?

clambake
04-28-2009, 01:45 PM

One day (maybe in our lifetimes... maybe not) the Ark of the Covenant will be found (the bonafide artifact from the Raiders of the Lost Ark movie).

One day two divine witnesses will come to earth to spread the gospel... They will wield great power, but the world will be blinded by their loyalty to the anti-Christ that they will come to hate them. One day on international television / youtube (fill in the blank) they will be murdered and the world will rejoice their death.

But then you'll likely brush them off as trivialities...
uh oh.

angel_luv
Great job by Jesus defending all those poor bastards in the WTC against the hijackers and their god. Where was Jesus when Allah came rolling into town?

I cannot explain why such awful things happen.

I cannot explain the twin towers anymore than I can explain why I lost my great dad when I was just 16 when many crap dads live long lives, all the while neglecting their kids.

There are questions I struggle with right along with the rest of you.

CuckingFunt
I don't understand why people can't debate without trying to put down the other person. I just like calling people idiots

Good stuff.

Phenomanul
04-28-2009, 01:46 PM
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence argument is horrible, and was destroyed by Bertrand Russell's teapot argument.

I'm not the one telling him proof of GOD exists...

He's the one claiming that absence of proof, is proof itself, that GOD doesn't exist... I'm simply asking how he can claim there is absence of proof to begin with?

Those are two different arguments...

z0sa
04-28-2009, 01:47 PM
I enjoy reading your retarded posts.

So, keep posting.

funny you actually posted that article, considering you're the one who went to that subject. Are you proving yourself wrong?

sonic21
04-28-2009, 01:48 PM
angel- do you even think that all people who claim to be christian are saved- or only the ones who agree with you on everything. For example, are only fundamentalist Christians saved- because lots of Christians around the world are not Biblical literalists.

Viva Las Espuelas
04-28-2009, 01:52 PM

there's a guy that's going to mt ararat in turkey to check out what may be Noah's Ark. i don't think muslims will be all that accommodating though.

z0sa
04-28-2009, 01:52 PM
I cannot explain why such awful things happen.

I cannot explain the twin towers anymore than I can explain why I lost my great dad at 16 when many crap dads live long lives, all the while neglecting their kids.

There are questions I struggle with right along with the rest of you.

because Humanity is fucked up?

What the hell do you idiots want, God to come down and save all the dying childrne for you? That's too easy, where's the choice in the matter if he makes it all too obvious (which, he really has) he's going to save the good people's asses and send the bad people to hell?

There could be no denying the actual God rolling down and sending a thunder bolt up that mass murderer's ass. But then there'd be no choice in the matter - "you must worship God, he will fuck you up if you don't."

No no no, there's no one forcing you to worship or vice versa. The people throwing out "why did God let ______ terrible thing happen" need to realize it has nothing to do with God and everything to do with our own terrible machinations. God can stop us but won't - its a fucking choice, that simple. Do the right thing and get to heaven. Do something else, you don't. God isn't going to show you his face just so you'll have a little faith.

Dr. Gonzo
04-28-2009, 01:55 PM
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h290/midgetonadonkey/cancerboy1.jpg

peewee's lovechild
04-28-2009, 01:56 PM
If you don't completely understand the meaning behinds words that you use, it only goes to show the limitations of your mind.
;)

Okay.

angel_luv
04-28-2009, 01:56 PM
angel- do you even think that all people who claim to be christian are saved- or only the ones who agree with you on everything. For example, are only fundamentalist Christians saved- because lots of Christians around the world are not Biblical literalists.

I know that most Christians differ, if only to a small extent on the particulars, of what they believe on any given subject. Tithing, dating, politics, birth control are some examples.

Believes vary by denomination and even among people in the same church.
That is why I believe the Apostle Paul urges everyone to work out their own salvation ( Philippians 2:12)

The Bible teaches that the one and only requirement for salvation is to believe in your heart and confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord.
All who do that are saved.
Even once wicked men, like the thief who died with Jesus.
( Luke 23:39-43)

peewee's lovechild
04-28-2009, 01:57 PM
you don't really know what you're talking about, do you?

there's probably tens of millions of documented cases of the Spirit revealing itself to people. In the final age before Endtimes, the Bible explicitly predicts a "lukewarm" church, where many of the followers don't actually believe and only go to church or claim God for human gain or acceptance.

You really don't know what you are talking about, do you?

Has there ever been a documented case of the christian god coming down and saying "Hey, this is me. I'm the god you guys pray to all the time."

There has never been a documented case of god making himself KNOWN to the people of Earth.

z0sa
04-28-2009, 01:58 PM

According to the Bible, even someone who has sinned all their life and done so willingly, may be saved on their deathbed if all they do is accept and BELIEVE Jesus has forgiven them of their sins. Someone who has will get to heaven, period.

No matter if you believe we evolved from monkeys.

No matter if you murdered someone, or stole a thousand times. Jesus wasn't crucified alone - the story related in the gospels of those two men receiving (or at least being preached) forgiveness as they too, met a grisly fate on the crosses, is one of the most hopeful stories in all of the Bible.

One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at Him: “Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!”
But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don't you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”
Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.”
Jesus answered him, “I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.” NIV

I swear to you these verses still bring tears to my eyes.

z0sa
04-28-2009, 02:01 PM
You really don't know what you are talking about, do you?

Has there ever been a documented case of the christian god coming down and saying "Hey, this is me. I'm the god you guys pray to all the time."

There has never been a documented case of god making himself KNOWN to the people of Earth.

There's plenty of people who have documented the Spirit of God (one of the Trinity) revealing Himself to them. It is documented in the Bible in the first part of the Acts of the Apostles.

get your facts straight. Just because God has no revealed himself to you, means nothing about the countless others he has.

peewee's lovechild
04-28-2009, 02:01 PM

You're right about that.

peewee's lovechild
04-28-2009, 02:13 PM
I'm not the one telling him proof of GOD exists...

He's the one claiming that absence of proof, is proof itself, that GOD doesn't exist.

No.

I was responding to Angel's post that her "god" has made it's presence known.

All I said is that there is no documented case of this god coming down from heaven and making himself known to the people of Earth.

Unless it already happened and I was asleep when it all went down.

But, I'm pretty sure I would've seen such a thing on FoxNews. They would eat that shit up.

peewee's lovechild
04-28-2009, 02:15 PM
there's a guy that's going to mt ararat in turkey to check out what may be Noah's Ark. i don't think muslims will be all that accommodating though.

He made a pretty good case that it might be there.

It will be funny when the thing turns out to be a jack-in-the-box.

LnGrrrR
04-28-2009, 02:16 PM
It's arrogant and foolish to assume that a believer is incapable of critical thinking.

It's arrogant and foolish to assume that's what I said. Defending critical thinking from an atheist mindset does not mean believers are not also able to critically think.

z0sa
04-28-2009, 02:16 PM
No.

All I said is that there is no documented case of this god coming down from heaven and making himself known to the people of Earth.

But, I'm pretty sure I would've seen such a thing on FoxNews. They would eat that shit up.

you're choosing to ignore what we're saying, not the opposite. Typical "I know everything, you got faith" answer from a non-believer.

If you want the truth, I responded about it on this very page. Only a child would honestly believe a choice to believe or not is still there if God revealed himself physically to humanity en masse.

LnGrrrR
04-28-2009, 02:21 PM
immediately get called a troll for saying it like it is. It's all on you buddy, for never picking up a Bible. Don't act like its "God's" fault because you decided to ignore his teachings.

Ah, so you're an idiot.

I've read the BIble.

Islam came about some 500 years after the last book of the Bible was written, and consistently uses Biblical figures and ideas in its teachings. It's obvious to me that Islam is nothing more than Mohammed's spin on Christianity and Judaism, with himself at the center fold.

Ah... so age is what determines veracity? Why aren't you a pagan then? Or perhaps you prefer Zeus?

Or maybe you think Islam is wrong because it stole from other religions eh? How come you aren't Jewish then? Heck, Christians stole the Jewish God! :)

False. You have a choice to believe in what you will, it is simply human nature - and God has specifically limited himself in this way. He cannot make the choice for you, he can only give you a (Bible)________ and hope you make the right decision. You don't even know what I believe in, and don't act like you do or I have implied it in any way.

Can you, right now, choose not to believe in God? I dare you to try it. Go ahead. Let me know when you do so.

Phenomanul
04-28-2009, 02:22 PM
No.

Or unless it wasn't documented to begin with...

It still doesn't prove that the event never took place...

Viva Las Espuelas
04-28-2009, 02:22 PM
He made a pretty good case that it might be there.

It will be funny when the thing turns out to be a jack-in-the-box.well they said that the satellite photos are very close to the specs stated in the bible.

LnGrrrR
04-28-2009, 02:24 PM
No no no, there's no one forcing you to worship or vice versa. The people throwing out "why did God let ______ terrible thing happen" need to realize it has nothing to do with God and everything to do with our own terrible machinations. God can stop us but won't - its a fucking choice, that simple. Do the right thing and get to heaven. Do something else, you don't. God isn't going to show you his face just so you'll have a little faith.

Let's look at that explanation.

God will not explicitly come out and prove himself to humanity.

And yet, if they do not choose to profess their love/fear of him, he will doom them to torment for eternity.

How can this be considered just/moral? (And please do not use the argument, "Because all God does is right" or some variation. I'm looking for a REASONABLE answer, one that can be deduced using REASON.)

peewee's lovechild
04-28-2009, 02:24 PM
There's plenty of people who have documented the Spirit of God (one of the Trinity) revealing Himself to them. It is documented in the Bible in the first part of the Acts of the Apostles.

get your facts straight. Just because God has no revealed himself to you, means nothing about the countless others he has.

You didn't read my original post on the matter, did you?

I flat out said that the trinity bullshit is a fucking cop out. No, no, no, no. The whole "spirit" thing is not the same as god coming down and saying "what's up" to his peeps.

And, you're using the bible as documentation of god making his presence known??

Phenomanul
04-28-2009, 02:25 PM

One day two divine witnesses will come to earth to spread the gospel... They will wield great power, but the world will be blinded by their loyalty to the anti-Christ that they will come to hate them. One day on international television / youtube (or some other "fill in the blank" broadcast medium) they will be murdered and the world will rejoice in their death.

But when that day comes (if we're still around), you'll likely brush these events off as trivialities...

EDIT: For that matter "the every eye will see" concept (used repeatedly in the Bible) is a bit outlandish... at any point in history but our own that is: people today can broadcast anything for all the world to see... Distance is no longer a hindrance for such a profecy to hold weight. How could people a mere 100 years ago even envision the validity of such profecies... With today's technologies now they don't even have to be questioned.... I guess that technological eventuality was common knowledge as well 2,000 years ago, right?

z0sa
04-28-2009, 02:26 PM
Ah, so you're an idiot.

I've read the BIble.

I didn't specify which holy book would correctly point the way now did I? Nor did I specify what the Book would do for you.

I did say Bible, but only because its the book we happen to be on right now.

Ah... so age is what determines veracity? Why aren't you a pagan then? Or perhaps you prefer Zeus?

Perhaps I do.

Or maybe you think Islam is wrong because it stole from other religions eh? How come you aren't Jewish then? Heck, Christians stole the Jewish God! :)

Islam didn't steal anything, so much as it took previous beliefs and soiled them with Mohammed's self righteousness. It's like Jehovah's Witnesses even. They've taken the Bible and misinterpreted it.

Can you, right now, choose not to believe in God? I dare you to try it. Go ahead. Let me know when you do so.

I was previously an atheist.

peewee's lovechild
04-28-2009, 02:27 PM
you're choosing to ignore what we're saying, not the opposite. Typical "I know everything, you got faith" answer from a non-believer.

If you want the truth, I responded about it on this very page. Only a child would honestly believe a choice to believe or not is still there if God revealed himself physically to humanity en masse.

WHAT?

Yea, okay.

z0sa
04-28-2009, 02:27 PM

I flat out said that the trinity bullshit is a fucking cop out. No, no, no, no. The whole "spirit" thing is not the same as god coming down and saying "what's up" to his peeps.

according to you, God revealing himself through his spirit is just not enough. Cool then, I'm done here.

LnGrrrR
04-28-2009, 02:28 PM
I was previously an atheist.

Then it should be no problem for you to be such again, correct?

peewee's lovechild
04-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Or unless it wasn't documented to begin with...

It still doesn't prove that the event never took place...

You honestly think that god coming down from the heavens to make his presence known would go undocumented??

Honestly?

Come on, Pheno . . . you know better than to post something that weak.

Dr. Gonzo
04-28-2009, 02:31 PM
If there really was a God would he let Jesus get dunked on like this?

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h290/midgetonadonkey/l_2ca7b3ca365bc5718f64ccfc802c4868.gif

peewee's lovechild
well they said that the satellite photos are very close to the specs stated in the bible.

Yea, I saw that on National Geographic.

It's pretty damn interesting. The historian in me really wants it to the The Ark.

However, realistically, it will probably be a let down.

I'm definitely intrigued, though.

z0sa
WHAT?

Yea, okay.

If God came down and made the world a peaceful, perfect place, what use is there of heaven? even you would be forced to believe in God if he physically revealed himself.

Its not that easy. You have to believe and have faith - you have chosen not to. Those who do, God reveals himself through the Spirit. Any true christian will tell you, again if its not good enough for you then deal with whatever consequences may come, if any (according to you). But don't act like you just don't understand the circumstances.

z0sa
04-28-2009, 02:33 PM
Then it should be no problem for you to be such again, correct?

Why would I go back to not believing in God, when he has revealed himself to me as well?

Phenomanul
04-28-2009, 02:34 PM

Why even bother stating it that way.... did you want a first hand account from Adam that he walked with GOD?

Of course, were such an account ever discovered would you go out of your way to try and discredit it as well... the mind only sees what its heart wants to believe... you've already made your choice perfectly clear.

Objectivity has never been an attribute of yours.... don't start pretending that you somehow possess it now.

Borosai
04-28-2009, 02:34 PM
God's a flasher?

peewee's lovechild
04-28-2009, 02:36 PM
according to you, God revealing himself through his spirit is just not enough. Cool then, I'm done here.

Yea, speaking of spirits is completely rational.

You're awesome.

Hey, the spirit of Davey Crockett is roaming the streets of San Antonio.

He wants to go on record that defending the Alamo was a mistake. Oh, and he misses Tennessee.

Phenomanul
04-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Yea, I saw that on National Geographic.

It's pretty damn interesting. The historian in me really wants it to the The Ark.

However, realistically, it will probably be a let down.

I'm definitely intrigued, though.

Personally, I don't believe Noah's ark has endured throughout the centuries unscathed by the elements...

The Ark of the Covenant on the other hand...

CuckingFunt
04-28-2009, 02:37 PM
If there really was a God would he let Jesus get dunked on like this?

Probably.

But I'm guessing he would have intervened before the retracted offer of help.

z0sa
04-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Yea, speaking of spirits is completely rational.

You're awesome.

Hey, the spirit of Davey Crockett is roaming the streets of San Antonio.

He wants to go on record that defending the Alamo was a mistake. Oh, and he misses Tennessee.

You deny such a thing could exist? Then why ask for it, fool?

peewee's lovechild
04-28-2009, 02:39 PM
If God came down and made the world a peaceful, perfect place, what use is there of heaven? even you would be forced to believe in God if he physically revealed himself.

Its not that easy. You have to believe and have faith - you have chosen not to. Those who do, God reveals himself through the Spirit. Any true christian will tell you, again if its not good enough for you then deal with whatever consequences may come, if any (according to you). But don't act like you just don't understand the circumstances.

It is that easy.

If "god" really wanted us to live in peace and harmony, all he would have to do is come down and say "I'm God. I'm ending all these petty religions right now. You've seen me, now believe in me. And, if you refuse, I'll cut you down."

I guarantee you that there would be world peace by the end of the day.

It really is that easy.

z0sa
04-28-2009, 02:40 PM
It is that easy.

If "god" really wanted us to live in peace and harmony, all he would have to do is come down and say "I'm God. I'm ending all these petty religions right now. You've seen me, now believe in me. And, if you refuse, I'll cut you down."

I guarantee you that there would be world peace by the end of the day.

It really is that easy.

You're 15 I'm guessing?

I won't respond to a child's meanderings furthermore, besides this: God is justice and morality, and cutting down non-believers when Jesus died on the cross for them too, would be abhorrently immoral and unjust.

You want God to forcefeed himself down your throat, it'll never happen bro - that's why we're on this earth, for a choice, at least according to the Bible.

LnGrrrR
04-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Why would I go back to not believing in God, when he has revealed himself to me as well?

You have stated that belief is a choice, correct?

If you really think so, then to prove your theory correct, it should not be hard for you to stop believing in him for a day, and then begin believing in him the next day.

LnGrrrR
04-28-2009, 02:46 PM
You're 15 I'm guessing?

I won't respond to a child's meanderings furthermore, besides this: God is justice and morality, and cutting down non-believers when Jesus died on the cross for them too, would be abhorrently immoral and unjust.

You want God to forcefeed himself down your throat, it'll never happen bro - that's why we're on this earth, for a choice, at least according to the Bible.

I'm still waiting for the moral justification in reasoned measure of my previous post, regarding the logic of a God refusing to show himself to humanity demanding fealty and exacting retribution upon those who don't.

(Holy run-on sentence Batman!)

Phenomanul
04-28-2009, 02:47 PM
You honestly think that god coming down from the heavens to make his presence known would go undocumented??

Honestly?

Come on, Pheno . . . you know better than to post something that weak.

Because human history has been flawlessly documented to date? Yeah mea culpa! :rolleyes

I'm pretty sure 5,000 year old writings abound. The lives of every human being who has ever walked the earth are explicitly documented... for without such documentation 'they' never really existed... How's your biographical log coming along? You wouldn't want people 100 years from now questioning whether or not certain events in your life ever took place...

You hear that? That's the sound of your strawman staggering to the ground.

z0sa
04-28-2009, 02:48 PM
You have stated that belief is a choice, correct?

Correct, and as I knew you would be alluding to...

If you really think so, then to prove your theory correct, it should not be hard for you to stop believing in him for a day, and then begin believing in him the next day.

This is a straw man completely. Saying we have no choice in the matter is undermining the very premise of how one receives eternal grace.

Could I choose to not believe in God, and once again believe atheistically? Most definitely. But it would be foolish - God has revealed himself, so why act like he never did?

What I now believe you may be getting at, is whether or not I could possibly change religions - change how "God" is revealing himself (or themselves) to me. That, too, is my choice and most definitely I am capable of doing it.

Besides, even believers are met with "right and wrong" choices, both of them possibly seeming right and wrong at the same time, concerning God's justice, the proper worshipping of him, and other obvious issues - which is why there are conversions from religion to religion commonly, as opposed from atheist to religious.