PDA

View Full Version : Chat with San Antonio Spur Bruce Bowen today

Kori Ellis
03-22-2005, 12:34 PM
Chat with San Antonio Spur Bruce Bowen

Welcome to The Show! On Tuesday, San Antonio Spur small forward Bruce Bowen will stop by to take your questions on the Spurs tremendous season, Tim Duncan's injury and more!

Bowen has helped the Spurs to a startling 50-16 record by averaging 8.3 points and 3.4 rebounds while playing 31.7 minutes per game. The Spurs have already clinched a playoff spot and are battling Miami and Phoenix for home-court advantage throughout the postseason.

Send your questions now and join Bruce in The Show on Tuesday at 5 p.m. ET

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=7626

Kori Ellis
03-22-2005, 12:45 PM
I've never seen Bruce do one of these ESPN chats. It will be interesting.

ducks
03-22-2005, 03:07 PM
what can the spurs do to get barry going?
is what I asked bowen
lets hope he answers!

Dex
03-22-2005, 05:02 PM
Bruce is on.

ducks
03-22-2005, 05:25 PM
Ben: (Houston, TX): When are you going to tell Brent Barry to just CHILL out and imagine he's surfing before each game to get him loose? Is there anything you can say as a teammate to help a guy get more comfortable and his rhythm back?

SportsNation Bruce Bowen: (5:11 PM ET ) Yes, there are many things you can say or do, as we have. We try to encourage him all the time and remind him he is a career 40 percent 3pt shooter. Then you just go from there. You hope he particpates in the rescue which he has. He has to get over it though. We can't make him turn a light on. We can overthink so much in this game that it can be to a fault. All Brent wants to do is come in and do a good job for us. Right now he may feel like he is not holding up his end but once he stops thinking he is hurting us, he will be alright.

ducks
03-22-2005, 05:30 PM
Laura, Harlingen, TX: You recently said at a San Antonio mall Q/A that Tony Parker owes you some money. Could we inquire whatever for? ;)

SportsNation Bruce Bowen: (5:22 PM ET ) I can't tell you!

jalbre6
03-22-2005, 05:35 PM
jalbre6 (Dallas, TX): What do you think of CSF's run in the NIT?

Bruce Bowen: (5:34 PM ET ) One of our ballboys is a big UT fan. I think Jesus was walking the Earth the last time Fullerton was involved in anything like this. The ballboy said ''yeah, but you weren't invited in the big dance!'' I say yeah, but we're still playing!

Even Bruce is giving me shit about UT losing early. :depressed

Kori Ellis
03-22-2005, 06:44 PM
Chat with San Antonio Spur Bruce Bowen

Welcome to The Show! On Tuesday, San Antonio Spur small forward Bruce Bowen will stop by to take your questions on the Spurs tremendous season, Tim Duncan's injury and more!
Bowen has helped the Spurs to a startling 50-17 record by averaging 8.3 points and 3.4 rebounds while playing 31.7 minutes per game. The Spurs have already clinched a playoff spot and are battling Miami and Phoenix for home-court advantage throughout the postseason.

Send your questions now and join Bruce in The Show on Tuesday at 5 p.m. ET.

Don't miss Bruce Bowen in action as the Rockets visit the Spurs on Sunday, March 27 (1:15 p.m. ET, ABC)

Bruce Bowen: I am here and ready to go!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Julien UK: With Duncan down, do you see Parker stepping up to replace Duncan's scoring or is it going to be a team effort?

Bruce Bowen: It's going to have to be spread out. With Duncan, he created a lot of shots for Tony, Manu and everyone else. It will take a concentrated effort by everybody. We don't have that dominating force to create a doubleteam. That means it's easier to guard our team if we try to play the same way we did with him. We have to move more now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ashok, Detroit, MI: How much emphasis is given to free throws during practice? Is it a concern for pop? He never talks publically about it!!

Bruce Bowen: He's talked about it so much that there is nothing else to say. He just tells us we need to do our job and knock them down. He has made us VERY aware how the little things will win the games. Unfortunately it has been a downfall for us. But not like years in the past. I think he doesn't want to overanalyze things where guys become more attentitive and can't do it like they used to. But it is something he talks about regularly.

Tarek (New York, NY): Be honest. How much do you think about that 0.4?

Bruce Bowen: Now? I don't think about it at all. That was last year! It's a different team this year. It was a valuable lesson that you can never get too high or low during the course of a game. If you watch closely you can see me trying to calm our guys down because they still had a shot. That's the beauty of this game. It's so up and down. That's part of the game.

Joseph from Austin: People are claiming that you are using the kung fu grip on your defense. Are you really as dirty as some players and coaches are saying?

Bruce Bowen: No! I'm not a dirty defender. I think in this league so many guys are used to being able to do all the amazing things they do on offense. But they can't do it on me because I play hard. Doesn't matter how many points you average, I am always playing hard. I didn't get here by doing what I want, I had to get here the hard way. Guys will talk when they don't like something. But if you really look at things, you wouldn't say I'm a dirty player. I just play hard.

Cody (Del Rio, TX): Bruce, do you think homecourt advantage mean as much to the Spurs as it does to the Suns?

Bruce Bowen: I think it's important. But if you have the opportunity to get homecourt, it's a big deal. To win any playoff series you have to win on the road. Those are the sweetest victories. You might lose homecourt advantage and still regain it on the road. It gets your fans behind you and if you have a lull, your home fans get you going again.

Morabito-Toronto: Do you fill vindicated to see Vinsanity losing his composure these days with anyone who plays him tight or doesn't give him a free runway?

Bruce Bowen: Honestly I could care less what Vince is doing now. I only care when I play against him. It's not me against Vince, it's the Spurs trying to win a game. With the things that have happened between me and him, you can be the judge of all this stuff. They said I wedged my foot up under his, but I couldn't do that if I tried 30 times. It was an accident. But look at the replay and tell me who is at fault.

Mattk (Maryland): How did the great David Robinson affect you?

Bruce Bowen: He's just a great guy to be around and understood the game a great deal. You really realize what you miss when he's not around. You no longer have that big, athletic guy who can always get to the basket whenever he wanted. You miss that more than anything.

Ben: (Houston, TX): When are you going to tell Brent Barry to just CHILL out and imagine he's surfing before each game to get him loose? Is there anything you can say as a teammate to help a guy get more comfortable and his rhythm back?

Bruce Bowen: Yes, there are many things you can say or do, as we have. We try to encourage him all the time and remind him he is a career 40 percent 3pt shooter. Then you just go from there. You hope he particpates in the rescue which he has. He has to get over it though. We can't make him turn a light on. We can overthink so much in this game that it can be to a fault. All Brent wants to do is come in and do a good job for us. Right now he may feel like he is not holding up his end but once he stops thinking he is hurting us, he will be alright.

Rod (Los Angeles): What's your secret in checking Kobe? I'm quite impressed of your defense everytime you have a head to head with him.

Bruce Bowen: No secret. I just know Kobe's a great competitor and I am as well. When two guys respect each other, it's always a great battle. I know that doesn't answer the question .. but it's jut about desire. If you choose to do something, you can.

Dave (Austin, TX): How are your brackets looking?

Bruce Bowen: It's looking great! I'm No. 1! It's looking great! I have Illinois winning it all. They are the most consistent team right now. Look at the previous No. 1's and they always have a bad spell. Illinois lost a game but it wasn't a really bad loss.

mac (austin): have you ever eaten at malik rose's restaraunt?

Bruce Bowen: Of course! He has a burger named after me so I have to eat there! It's an awesome burger. If you are in town, you have to try it.

Russ (NY): What's it like with Horry, one of the key players from your biggest rival over the last 5 years, on your team now? Is there a lot of trash talk relating to the Lakers vs Spurs from before this season? Is he sinking clutch shots in practice too??

Bruce Bowen: You are just happy because you know he understands the game. He's a veteran and has been in all kinds of pressure situations. He isn't the enemy anymore! He doesn't hit clutch shots in practice though! No such thing! Any clutch shot, a guy will just say ''we let you hit that shot!''

Mike (Il): If you were stranded on an island and could bring one type of food, and one celebrity female with you, who and what would they be ? Thanks !

Bruce Bowen: Oh man .. that's a hard question! Give me a minute and we'll come back to that one!

Adam U. (Portland, OR): Best player in the games is...? Be honest now :)

Bruce Bowen: I'd have to say Shaq and Tim. Steve Nash is in there as well. Just because of what they do for their team. It's not just about scoring a lot of points. It's about making their team better. It's easy to have a high scoring guy but can the high scoring guy help your team? Or can your guy help your guy help you win by only scoring 15?

Dave (Austin, TX): Is your head really as shiny as Sean Elliott would have us believe?

Bruce Bowen: I don't know! I've never paid attention to it like Sean does! Sean is a little jealous!

Tarek (New York, NY): Who's a better defender - you or Artest?

Bruce Bowen: Me!

Tederick Houston,Texas: Do the team miss the presence of Steven Jackson and what did he bring to the team?

Bruce Bowen: He was such a big part of that championship team. Manu probably wouldn't be the player he is now if Jack was still here. Sometimes you have to see what chances are presented after a departure and not focus on the departure so much.

David (Berkeley, CA): Bruce - what is there to do in San Antonio other than basketball and barbecues?

Bruce Bowen: You got your family .. Six Flags in San Antonio .. Sea World .. great historic sites .. and a city in love with the Spurs. You could be the 12th man but they show you so much love. You don't look at the aspect of not being able to do this or that. You just get engrossed in everything else taking place.

Sagar: (Austin, TX): Bruce, I know you were taking classes to get your diploma while playing for the Spurs. Just wondering if you've completed the courses and obtained a degree. If so, what type of degree?

Bruce Bowen: I have completed my classes in Public Relations. I'm scheduled to walk in June!

Laura, Harlingen, TX: You recently said at a San Antonio mall Q/A that Tony Parker owes you some money. Could we inquire whatever for? ;)

Bruce Bowen: I can't tell you!

New York, New York: Bruce -- Having home court advantage in the playoffs is huge. As of right now, the Spurs have the number 1 seed in the West. With Tim Duncan out for 2-4 weeks can the Spurs maintain thier lead in the West?

Bruce Bowen: I think we can maintian the lead. It will take a concentrated effort by everyone though. When Tim went out last year we did better than people expected. Everybody was involved though. So the biggest thing is we have to get everyone and make the other team play defense.

Dave (Austin, TX): Where does Pop get his suits?

Bruce Bowen: He's actually doing better this year. He has a couple Brioni suits. If anybody is familiar with fashion will know that's a fine Italian clothier!

Steve (Cherry Hill): What happened last night? Was it just the shock of having Duncan out? How do you see you guys doing next time out?

Bruce Bowen: I think we played pretty good basketball for 3 1/2 quarters. But then the mistakes just snowballed. Playing the second leg of a back to back can be tough. But to play the way we did last night was disappointing.

Rene, San Antonio, TX: Who is the biggest jokester/prankster on the team? And what types of pranks do they pull?

Bruce Bowen: We have a lot of pranksters like Manu and Sean Marks.

aaron (San Antonio): Did Devin Brown hurt him self yesterday?

Bruce Bowen: I think he did something to his back. But knowing him, he is alright.

Zach (Montezuma, Iowa ): What do you most miss about Cal St. Fullerton?

Bruce Bowen: Another tough question! I guess I miss a lot of the people that I met during my time there. There was a teacher named Ken Reveza who was phenomenal. I really enjoyed him. The whole AD department was great. It's amazing looking back at that time and realizing how much fun I had in college.

Rob (Il): Beyonce, J-Lo, or Halle Berry, choose one. :)

Bruce Bowen: Beyonce. The others have too much drama.

Javier, Eagle Pass, TX: Hey Bruce, give us an inside scoop as to what goes on in the lockerroom whenever Pop is mad. I'm talking volume, maybe content, and how many shades of red he turns.

Bruce Bowen: He gets red! Real red! A whole lot of four letter words and more four letter words. Then all of a sudden he's out of breathe. Then we know its time to get it going.

Rich (Queensbury): If the Spurs reach the finals who would you rather be playing, the Heat or the Pistons?

Bruce Bowen: With that question, you really don't care. We just want to be in the Finals. Period. For me, I would just love to be there. They both would prevent different challenges. Pop learned alot from Coach Brown so you would see two similar teams. If we played Miami, that's a whole other set of problems with Wade, Shaq, etc. That's more of a 1-2 punch with Miami.

RL (NY): How did Tony Parker get his hands on Eva Longoria?!

Bruce Bowen: She just happened to come to a game. The funny thing is people forget Tony was one of the 50 most beautiful people. He's no chopped liver.

Bruce Bowen: OK.. I have an answer to the island question .. I would want Cuban food and my wife! She's cute! And I know we would have a good time.

jalbre6 (Dallas, TX): What do you think of CSF's run in the NIT?

Bruce Bowen: One of our ballboys is a big UT fan. I think Jesus was walking the Earth the last time Fullerton was involved in anything like this. The ballboy said ''yeah, but you weren't invited in the big dance!'' I say yeah, but we're still playing!

Zach (Montezuma, Iowa ): What do you do in the offseason?

Bruce Bowen: I get a lot of rest and then start preparing for next season. I try to take care of my body like you do with your bank account. You deposit checks for a rainy day. I work out in the summer so it will take effect in the season and keep me healthy.

mike (chicago): would you like to score more..instead of just being a defensive stopper??

Bruce Bowen: Of course. But that's my role on this team. If anybody has followed us, all my time here you've seen my role as a scorer has gone up. I'm doing more things. I understand my role for this team and I enjoy what I do defensively. Better than scoring for a team that isn't going to compete for a championship.

Mandy (SATX): Hey Bruuuuuce! With the reoccurence of the media's attention on you, do you feel the refs watch you closer? PS: Congrats on the expecting bundle!

Bruce Bowen: I think if you feel that way, you tend to let them win so to speak. I still have to go out and do what I do defensively. That's what I do. If I start thinking they are watching me, I'll be playing tenatively. I can't do that because I'm naturally an aggressive player. Sometimes you have to get to the basics when you think folks are watching. And thanks, I truly appreciate the well wishes.

Javier Eagle Pass, Tx: Hey Bruce, we saw Tony, Devin, and Horry's house on the Home court link you guys have on spurs.com. When are we gonna see your house, and is it all huge and pimped out and stuff?

Bruce Bowen: Nah.. I'm not into that type of deal where you let people into your house. That's awfully vain. That's not something for the whole world to see so I choose not to participate. I don't need any unneeded things taking place around my family.

Thanks for the questions.. I hope when you watch me play you will keep an open mind and not get caught up in the emotions of what might be taking place! We're playing on ABC on Sunday afternoon so watch the game! Take care and we'll do this again soon.

Ginofan
03-22-2005, 07:25 PM
Me and Laura were so excited our questions got in lol. Bruce is a really funny guy, it's great to see his humor from tv translate to the net.