PDA

View Full Version : Noel Felix

Kori Ellis
03-22-2005, 12:37 PM
I told some of you that he signed with a Philippine team last week. Here's the details. (BTW, he's 23 not 25 as the article says.)

Six-foot-9 NBA hopeful suits up for Pals
By Nelson Beltran
The Philippine Star 03/23/2005

Former Fresno State’s Noel Felix, among the last cuts in the San Antonio Spurs camp before the start of the 2004-2005 NBA season, has been hired as Talk n Text’s new import in the 2005 Gran Matador PBA Fiesta Conference.

The 6-foot-9 Felix, who likewise nearly made the Phoenix Suns lineup in 2003, arrived last Saturday and debuts with the Phone Pals in a road game versus the Alaska Aces in Cagayan de Oro on March 31. Curiously, Alaska is also parading a new import in that game in former Chicago Bull Dickey Simpkins.

A native of Los Angeles, California who played high school ball at Inglewood, the 25-year-old center-forward replaced Earl Ike who led the Phone Pals to a 2-1 (win-loss) start in the season-ending tourney.

But in a move that would give them more options, the Talk n Text management just relegated Ike to the injured list. This allows coach Joel Banal to put Ike back in his lineup anytime should Felix turn out to be a dud.

But team manager Frankie Lim said Felix has been impressive in practice.

"He’s athletic with a good medium-range shot. He can jump and seems to possess the skills we need from our import," said Lim of their new import.

Felix is no stranger to stints outside the United States, having played with the Shanghai Sharks (Yao Ming’s former team) in the Chinese league and with the Carife Ferrara squad in Italy.

His impressive stints in the Chinese league and later on with the Idaho Stampede in the CBA might have been the reason why he was invited to attend the San Antonio camp. He played with the Spurs in the Rocky Mountain Revenue in Salt Lake City last year.

Described as "very athletic and runs the court well" by the phoenixsuns.com, Felix was also among the last cuts in the Phoenix camp prior to the 2003-2004 NBA season.

That was right after his senior year at Fresno State where he averaged 8.5 points and 4.8 rebounds a game.

In his third year in 2001-02, he started in 29 of 34 games, averaging 7.9 points and 5.1 rebounds. He recorded his first career double-double with an 11-point, 10-rebound performance against SMU, had a career-high 17 points in the McCaffrey Classic game against UC Riverside and posted double digits in points in 14 contests.

As a high school player, he helped Inglewood to a 30-4 record and a berth in the state semifinals. He led the team with 4.5 blocks shots per season while scoring 15 points a game and grabbing 11 rebounds per contest.

Kori Ellis
03-22-2005, 12:44 PM
He finished the CBA season with the Yakima Sun Kings, averaging 15 pts and 7.5 boards. He made the All-Defense team and averaged ~20 pts and 8 boards over the last month of the season.

ducks
03-22-2005, 12:45 PM
barry's replacement?

jalbre6
03-22-2005, 02:46 PM
The Talk-and-Text Phone Pals.

http://www.surfshop.net.ph/pba2/talkntext/img/masthead-mob.jpg

wildbill2u
03-23-2005, 12:07 AM
He finished the CBA season with the Yakima Sun Kings, averaging 15 pts and 7.5 boards. He made the All-Defense team and averaged ~20 pts and 8 boards over the last month of the season.

These stats sound a lot better than the others from college or the Chinese Dwarf League or whatever that you listed before. You expect better numbers from minor leagues if the guy can really have a chance for the NBA.

I'd been wondering about him, hoping he'd be picked up for a looksee at SF--but now I'm not so sure.

Kori Ellis
03-23-2005, 12:21 AM
These stats sound a lot better than the others from college or the Chinese Dwarf League or whatever that you listed before. You expect better numbers from minor leagues if the guy can really have a chance for the NBA.

In college, he played behind Melvin Ely for a lot of his career and really was just a defensive player off the bench. He has been really raw offensively up until this season. He's played power forward or center almost always. But this season, though he was the starting 4, they had him guard the other team's best player -- all the way down to shooting guards but primarily 4's and 3's. So I'm guessing that's how he made the All Defense squad.

He had games of 35, 29, 28, 27, 22, 25 in the last month or so of the season. I haven't seen him play since summer, but I'm getting a copy of the 35 point game. I'd like to see how he's developing.

He has five or six NBA teams that are interested in bringing him on their summer league teams in July now. So I think he'll at least be in vet camp next season somewhere.

Duncanoypi
03-23-2005, 01:24 AM
oh wow!...he will play in our Native land....im excited how Noel Felix dominate the PBA(Philippine Basketball Association) if thats the case, Phone pals is now my second fav team(behind Purefoods)...he will face former Chicago bulls forward Dickey Simpkins who will play for Alaska Milk...

Das Texan
03-23-2005, 01:31 AM
hopefully noel gets to come back to spurs summer camp and perhaps challenge the third for a spot on the spurs next year.