PDA

View Full Version : Should we just let Dirk have his points?

Man of Steel
04-27-2009, 06:12 PM
A few years ago, I recall Pop said we were going to let Amare Stat have his points and would focus on keeping everyone else cold.

This seems to be the opposite of what they have been doing with the Mavs.

So I was wondering if maybe--just maybe--we'd be better off letting dirk have a monster night and focus on shutting down everyone else?

This seems to be happening to us--in game four, Parker and Duncan had great night--everyone else sucked.

Could we do this to them? Have Bowen focus on JJ Barea.

Just a thought--what do you think?

04-27-2009, 06:18 PM
spurs tried this on the lakers last year and it didn't work.

Road Warrior
04-27-2009, 06:27 PM
I don't know, honestly we should be more concerned about getting production out of our role players more than anything. I mean the Mavs scored 105 game 1 and haven't scored as many points since so i wouldn't change much defensively, we just need to rebound better and limit their second chance points as much as possible. I like Bruce in the starting lineup and making Finley come off the bench instead of Roger. Roger seems more comfortable as a starter and we REALLY need him to step up if we're gonna have any kind of a chance to pull this thing out.

Dex
04-27-2009, 06:39 PM
I think the problem with this strategy is that the Mavericks are a different beast than the Suns.

As impressive as Amare was during his playoff runs, he can't put up 100 points and the Spurs knew it. As long as they stayed honed on Nash and Marion, Phoenix didn't have anybody else to score the ball.

The Mavericks, however, are multi-faceted on offense, both in players and in offensive style. They can slash, they can run, and they can drive and kick. They don't have a particular "head of the snake." If you shut down Dirk and Kidd, you've still got Howard and Terry to deal with. Shut down Dirk and Terry, and you've still got Kidd popping jumpers and setting up wide open teammates. And the Spurs have never been able to find a way to shut down Howard, period.

41times
04-27-2009, 06:39 PM
i think you have a better chance doing the same thing you have been doing and hoping you get some bench support

Findog
04-27-2009, 07:04 PM
The difference between letting Dirk get his and letting Tony get his is that the Spurs have nothing but spares to surround him with, so he is exhausted by the 4th Quarter from having to carry the offensive load so much. The Mavs have guys that can still generate offense.

sprrs
04-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Letting (or not letting Dirk score is not the answer. Getting a rebound and playing George Hill is the answer.

Findog
04-27-2009, 07:10 PM
I honestly do think the Spurs are overplaying him a bit. I don't disagree with double-teaming him at the foul line where he likes to set up, but they are practically triple teaming him at times.

And unlike the iso-heavy offense of Avery, Dirk generally makes better decisions with the double teams than he used to. We faltered against this defense with the Warriors because he was hesistant on how to handle them and the other guys didnt knock their open looks when he passed out of the doubles. Even though Dirk is not scoring a lot of points in this series, I don't think he's playing poorly. He's obviously not playing great, but I would say he's a much better facilitator than he was when he previously faced this kind of defense against Golden State in 2007 and Houston in 2005. I'd give Dirk a solid B for the series so far. He's being patient and his teammates are prospering bc of all of the defensive attention on him.

Findog
04-27-2009, 07:12 PM
The book on Dirk is to get a athletic three with a long wingspan to crowd him and force him to put the ball on the floor, then run a second help defender to swipe at his dribble, and hope he doesn't make a great decision when it comes time to drive or dish. Most coaches prefer to not let him take the fadeway bc of his high release point.

itzsoweezee
04-27-2009, 09:28 PM
spurs are treating Dirk like some kind of superstar. Popovich obviously hasn't seen Dirk's playoff performances the last few years. i'd rather the spurs focus on shutting Josh Howard and Terry down than Jerk Noballski.

Spursox
04-27-2009, 09:31 PM
Does someone have a shot of Dirk's armpit? During Saturdays game, I swore I saw them shaved down to the skin....

Anyways..we have never been able to stop Dirk. We have thrown 30 guys and still can't find someone to defend him.

physics dude
04-27-2009, 09:34 PM
spurs are treating Dirk like some kind of superstar. Popovich obviously hasn't seen Dirk's playoff performances the last few years. i'd rather the spurs focus on shutting Josh Howard and Terry down than Jerk Noballski.

Someone forgot about the "and one" that knocked you out last time in 2006. Dirk's got game... need a reminder?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OmE3B-s8ow

dtk
04-27-2009, 09:39 PM
This series you guys have been shutting Dirk down pretty well, but the good thing is he isn't taking 30 shots a game anyway.

If you told me that Dirk and JET were averaging 30PPG together after 4 games, I'd say the Spurs were the ones up 3-1 or may have swept the series...

Spursmania
04-27-2009, 10:00 PM
The difference between letting Dirk get his and letting Tony get his is that the Spurs have nothing but spares to surround him with, so he is exhausted by the 4th Quarter from having to carry the offensive load so much. The Mavs have guys that can still generate offense.

Aw man, Why you hating on Timmy with that sig? :depressed

Spursmania
04-27-2009, 10:01 PM
This series you guys have been shutting Dirk down pretty well, but the good thing is he isn't taking 30 shots a game anyway.

If you told me that Dirk and JET were averaging 30PPG together after 4 games, I'd say the Spurs were the ones up 3-1 or may have swept the series...

our role players have really sucked, no doubt about it. Your bench has stepped up.

Spursmania
04-27-2009, 10:03 PM
Someone forgot about the "and one" that knocked you out last time in 2006. Dirk's got game... need a reminder?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OmE3B-s8ow

No Championships, need a reminder:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

Dickhead Mav fan deserves this type of response when you come into a Spur forum and start talking shit:blah

physics dude
04-27-2009, 10:50 PM
did I say you didn't have a title? no
did someone say Dirk doesn't have game? yes
so why would you throw in that kind reply when I am making an argument against someone's claim?
when you are ready to talk rational, let me know. I'll be ready. will you?