PDA

View Full Version : Devin Brown will not play tomorrow

Frenchise player
03-22-2005, 02:47 PM
Injury Bug Bites Again
LAST UPDATE: 3/22/2005 1:18:34 PM
Posted By: CyberBob

San Antonio Spurs guard Devin Brown will not play against the Pacers in Indianapolis Wednesday. Brown returned to San Antonio Tuesday after suffering back spasms in the loss to the Knicks Monday night.

Brown, who led the Spurs with 22 points Monday, suffered the spasms in the second half. He returned to play but the Spurs sent him home Tuesday. Brown will undergo an MRI and will be evaluated by the team’s medical staff.

The Spurs are already shorthanded with Tim Duncan out 2 to 4 weeks with an ankle sprain and Manu Ginobili is still suffering from a nagging groin injury.

Jimcs50
03-22-2005, 02:49 PM
http://www.mash4077.co.uk/images/mash.gif

Streakyshooter08
03-22-2005, 02:50 PM
What is going on here? Fuck.

Frenchise player
03-22-2005, 02:52 PM
Another opportunity for Brent to step up, he will have a lot of playing time with Manu's injury and Devin back in San Antonio

MarkyMark
03-22-2005, 02:53 PM
Barry is gonna step up big tomorrow!! YOU GOTTA BELIEVE!!!!

exstatic
03-22-2005, 02:57 PM
Glover will step up.

Glover > Barry

BigVee
03-22-2005, 02:57 PM
If I were Pop I would order Barry to shoot everytime he is open...it either starts or ends for him tomorrow night.

bigzak25
03-22-2005, 02:58 PM
:pctoss

MannyIsGod
03-22-2005, 02:59 PM
Man, this is getting hardcore.

TMTTRIO
03-22-2005, 03:00 PM
Barry better step up tommorow night. This is his chance to shine since Manu is still playing injured and Devin's not playing tommorow night.

ducks
03-22-2005, 03:06 PM
no matter how bad barry plays d pop is almost going to have to play barry
just hope he mkaes more then 0 points

boutons
03-22-2005, 03:12 PM
I saw Brent drive half-way down the paint and kick out last night when it looked like, to me, he still had a clear path the basket. Even Michael Jordan fell back on taking it to the hoop when his jumpers weren't falling.

Get your juices flowing, draw some fouls, but Brent knows that, doesn't he?

polandprzem
03-22-2005, 03:12 PM
We've got to sign a new contract with Glover.

baseline bum
03-22-2005, 03:19 PM
This season's quickly becoming a nightmare.

picnroll
03-22-2005, 03:20 PM
Anybody record that game. I'm pretty sure on that play where Brown drove to the basket and hurt his back it was Malik that came down with a forearm on Devin's back as he was going out of bouunds. I could be wrong though.

BigVee
03-22-2005, 03:22 PM
I saw Brent drive half-way down the paint and kick out last night when it looked like, to me, he still had a clear path the basket. Even Michael Jordan fell back on taking it to the hoop when his jumpers weren't falling.

Get your juices flowing, draw some fouls, but Brent knows that, doesn't he?

I have seen that too, several times, as well as a real reluctance to shoot when he is open. He looks so psyched out on the court....he has that befuddled look. He is athletic enough to go right to the rim but seems to look pass first even when he has almost reached the basket. Very hard to understand.

ZStomp
03-22-2005, 03:52 PM
I think Devin just missed Duncan and wanted to come back home to be with him. You know they love playing the video games...:)

jcrod
03-22-2005, 04:03 PM
:pctoss :depressed

Man, this sucks. Hopefully they're just getting out of their system and we'll be injury free in the playoffs.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-22-2005, 04:07 PM
Glover will step up.

Glover > Barry

That's rough EX!!

I'm waiting for the start of threads saying "Herpes in the Ass > Barry" or "If you trade for Barry and a bag of chips, at least you'll have something to eat".

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-22-2005, 04:08 PM
^^ But I'm beginning to think you're right.

Kori Ellis
03-22-2005, 04:09 PM
I'm waiting for the start of threads saying "Herpes in the Ass > Barry"

I think that one has been said about a week ago. :lmao

timvp
03-22-2005, 04:11 PM
If I were Pop I would order Barry to shoot everytime he is open.

He already did. Pop has ordered Barry to shoot or drive everytime he has the ball. That doesn't seem to help.

Maybe Pop should dress up in a Gary Payton Halloween costume and scare him straight.

ducks
03-22-2005, 04:15 PM
maybe pop should fine barry if he does not have the most shot attempts

BigVee
03-22-2005, 04:18 PM
He already did. Pop has ordered Barry to shoot or drive everytime he has the ball. That doesn't seem to help.

Maybe Pop should dress up in a Gary Payton Halloween costume and scare him straight.

In that case, I am mystified. I have watched this guy play for a long time. I have never seen that deer in the headlights look before. Doesn't look like anything physical...still gets up for the ball, still can run, pass....just won't shoot the damn ball. And when he does shoot you can see a lack of confidence. Sad to watch.

Kori Ellis
03-22-2005, 04:20 PM
In that case, I am mystified. I have watched this guy play for a long time. I have never seen that deer in the headlights look before. Doesn't look like anything physical...still gets up for the ball, still can run, pass....just won't shoot the damn ball. And when he does shoot you can see a lack of confidence. Sad to watch.

Please, tell Whottt that. When I told him that Barry passes up open looks, he said that Barry only does it when a teammate has a better shot available. :wtf

gospursgojas
03-22-2005, 04:24 PM
Yes Barry was brought here to shoot the ball, but there is so much more he can do...I hate it when people jump on to one guys bandwagon just b/c they play the same position that one player does that isnt playing that well right now. Like all the Nazi > Rasho and even funnier GLOVER> BARRY!!!!!!?????

ducks
03-22-2005, 04:27 PM
why play barry at all then?

BigVee
03-22-2005, 04:32 PM
Please, tell Whottt that. When I told him that Barry passes up open looks, he said that Barry only does it when a teammate has a better shot available. :wtf

No not so. He passes up shots when he is wide open to pass to someone less open. It happens alot. I have been a Barry proponent from the beginning. I think he still brings a lot to the floor, but if Pop has given him the greenlight, then I don't understand his hesitation. The way the team was shooting last night, he should have put up 20 shots.

diceman
03-22-2005, 05:02 PM
With Bones struggling we can't afford to have Devin miss too much time as he actually produces off the bench. The worst part is he was just starting to find his confidence again. :depressed His aggressive play has been a plus the last few games.

Shelly
03-22-2005, 05:03 PM
Did someone put a curse on us? :(

whottt
03-22-2005, 05:17 PM

Just because you guys can find like one or two times he has done it doesn't mean he's doing it on a regular basis...everybody does it once in a while...this is like saying Mohammed has a jumper because you've seen him make one.

And don't look at me on this one, I wanted Shane Heal :smokin

kskonn
03-22-2005, 05:19 PM
I think for Barry, he has hit rock bottom. he knows this, He will come out and play strong tomorrow. he has to because his team needs him to. I think that the extra time, added with the support and NEED of his team he will start on his track back to the barry we know. When you hit rock bottom there is only one way to go.

whottt
03-22-2005, 05:21 PM
You guys need to figure out what you hate about Barry the most...

The fact that his shot isn't falling...or the fact that he isn't shooting...I think the two are interconnected...

In any case...Barry leads the team in 3pa's and only Manu averages more 3pa's per game....If he's passing them up he's certainly not doing it anymore than any one else is...

NEXT

kskonn
03-22-2005, 05:25 PM
I think what I hate most is not about barry but about the situation. it is so frustrating to see a guy so good not succeed. No one really knows why or how to fix it. It is obvious that barry wants to fix whatever it is really bad. unfortunately he does not have a jumper goes in and jumber goes out switch that he can turn on and off. The overall feeling of the whole situation is what I hate.

T Park
03-22-2005, 05:26 PM
were mad at him cause he cant make a shot, and when he goes to the basket he passes the freakin ball when hes got a wide open lane.

But its Pop's fault Barry is playing the way he is.

ggoose25
03-22-2005, 05:40 PM
i like brent. I think he's a good player, except for how he lets the fear of failure affect his game so much. His recent ugly streak is directly related to his lack of self-confidence. It is frustrating to watch a player as gifted and smart as barry, psyche himself out of fully contributing to the team. He cares so much about doing everything right that he that he doesnt just play the game anymore. I would take Barry with a huge turnover/ast ratio if he would just play the game without a care again. His shot would definitely follow

whottt
03-22-2005, 05:41 PM
Well you guys are on crack if you think he can't make a 2 point shot...he leads the team in 2point PCT.

whottt
03-22-2005, 05:50 PM
were mad at him cause he cant make a shot, and when he goes to the basket he passes the freakin ball when hes got a wide open lane.

But its Pop's fault Barry is playing the way he is.

So basically you want him to be a ballhog...just say so...

In that case it's still stupid...guy played with and actually got along with Gary Payton...I don't think he has ball hogging tendencies...only Devin takes more shots than Barry off the bench and Devin isn't exactly looking to pass first...and no one is shooting as great a PCT of threes as Barry is.

Furthermore...if he takes any more shots per game he'll be taking more than your boy Rasho who is the starting C...how you will defend Rasho once that happens?

Just keep on hating TPark, aint no crime...but please stop trying to rationalize it.

MannyIsGod
03-22-2005, 06:07 PM
I want him to shoot as if he's hitting every shot when he has open jumpers.

And I want him to hit those jumpers.

And I've noticed he does hit his 2's at a much better rate. If that's the case, have him step in untill he gets on a roll.

BigVee
03-22-2005, 06:17 PM
You guys need to figure out what you hate about Barry the most...

The fact that his shot isn't falling...or the fact that he isn't shooting...I think the two are interconnected...

In any case...Barry leads the team in 3pa's and only Manu averages more 3pa's per game....If he's passing them up he's certainly not doing it anymore than any one else is...

NEXT
Hate him? I love watching him glide down the floor, very graceful and athletic. I agree he doesn't pass up more than others. My point is he is a better pure shooter than anyone else on the team. He should be a little more selfish. But, regardless of what Pop says, I think Barry still has it in the back of his mind that a bad shot equals a quick hook.

Dex
03-22-2005, 06:17 PM
In that case it's still stupid...guy played with and actually got along with Gary Payton...I don't think he has ball hogging tendencies...only Devin takes more shots than Barry off the bench and Devin isn't exactly looking to pass first...and no one is shooting as great a PCT of threes as Barry is.

That's something to make a case out of right there, though.

You said yourself, Devin isn't looking to pass first. When Brown catches the ball, he often puts it up right away. He looks very comfortable taking his shots, even if they aren't falling that day. Even though he's been toying with that pump fake more and more (which, by the way, usually wastes a decent shot), he still comes into the game with an apparent mindset that he's going to take his shots and let the ball decide if they will fall or not.

Why can't Brent Barry do that?

Everybody was ranting and raving about how his basketball IQ and his passing abilities were supposed to help this team, and I think he bought into that a little bit, as well. Now, instead of having that 'shoot first' mentality, he's looking to make the 'smart plays' and it's dragging down his percentages and his shooting confidence.

If Barry would put up shots the way Devin Brown does, without hesitation and with belief instead of desire, he would be getting those minutes that the very same Devin Brown is taking away from him now. His desire to succeed and prove his worth, coupled with his diminishing self confidence, seems to currently be preventing him from doing that.

sa_butta
03-22-2005, 06:21 PM
When it rains it pours,
thank god we still have time before the playoffs.
Even though I would still love to have a 1 seed and
homecourt. If we can have all of our guys healthy
by playoff time we should be fine even if it is at a 2 or
3 seed.

benjirh
03-22-2005, 06:23 PM
No not so. He passes up shots when he is wide open to pass to someone less open. It happens alot. I have been a Barry proponent from the beginning. I think he still brings a lot to the floor, but if Pop has given him the greenlight, then I don't understand his hesitation. The way the team was shooting last night, he should have put up 20 shots.

His hesitation is because he is scared of his shot right now. Bowen mentioned it in his chat on ESPN. He said they are trying to get Barry to the point where he doesn't feel like he is bringing down the team. I know the feeling. When I am having a crappy game shooting, I am always looking to the guy who is having a better shooting night(or maybe they aren't), but I don't trust myself. Barry doesn't want his misses to be the reason they lose. Thats my theory at least.

benjirh
03-22-2005, 06:25 PM
Sorry Dex. My post is close to yours. I was typing when it got posted.

whottt
03-22-2005, 06:28 PM
That's a very well argued point Dex...but look at who Barry played well with...

Gary Payton...Ray Allen...ball hogs...and those guys loved playing with him because he has pass first tendencies...he doesn't have a scorers tendencies...

And a high basketball IQ would include not taking bad shots which is why this guy has lead the NBA in both 2 pt PCT and 3 pt PCT.

You guys want him to step up like Jordan or something...but that's never the type of player he was...at least to my thinking, he was always more of a point guard who made timely shots...not frequent ones, he picked his spots and they were good, smart and timely shots,...he was definitely a behind the scenes type "grease" player much like like Drob was in his finals years on the team...

He's not like Devin Brown and they are entirely different types of players which is why I could never understand why they were competing for minutes..ditto Rose and horry...

Devin is the leading career scorer for every team he has played on...he is a flat out scorer and that's what he looks to do...Barry doesn't do that and he never has...and I thoght he was going to be a perfect fit for this team backing up the guard spots, fascillitating the offense, key the fast break, and hitting smart and timely shots to aid Duncan...

And that's what he was doing at the beginning of the year...and now Beno runs the back up offense and he is competing with Devin in a battle he can never win and that leaves the Spurs worse off...if you want scoring Devin should be your guy every time...but if you want to get out of the situation where we are making stupid TO's and blowing leads or taking stupid shots...Barry is the guy that should have the ball in his hands...and he should have it over any other guard on the team and probably over Duncan as well.

Dex
03-22-2005, 06:43 PM
Admittedly agreed, but if you ask me, Brent Barry still has the option of taking that same 'I'm going to get mine' mentality.

When he played with the supposed 'ballhogs', he should've gotten used to shooting the ball when he got it. He should have that shooter's mentality drilled into his ego, considering he was branded as one of the best pure shooters in the league when they signed him to the Spurs. However, after having already earned 3-point percentage honors once and leading the leagues in the same category, I think he wanted to prove that he could expand his game.

When Barry came to San Antonio, he admitted that he wanted to come in and do more for this team than just shoot. I think his personal emphasis on that regard of his game is what is disrupting the flow of what he does best, what we brought him here for.

To shoot the damn ball.

I don't care if you miss 20 shots in a row. Just take your shots and fill your role.

Take a page out of the Devin Brown handbook, if that's what you've got to do.

Personally, I think Brent is STILL trying to prove to people that he can do more than just spot-up for this team. And though you make valid arguments about his offensive efficiency outside of his three-point shooting (to your credit), at this point I think Brent might be better off if he gave up the Superman bit and focused his attention primarily on the one reason the Spurs signed him last summer: three balls.

timvp
03-22-2005, 06:45 PM
Back to Devin Brown, it doesn't sound good. Pop said they are worried that it could be a disc thing. If he's hurt for an extended period of time, it's going to be a huge blow ... especially with Duncan out.

MannyIsGod
03-22-2005, 06:51 PM
Yeah, that doesn't sound good. If this is a disc problem, it's degernative and that certainly does not bode well.

BigVee
03-22-2005, 06:52 PM
Man, say it aint so. That would be a killer.

Dex
Back to Devin Brown, it doesn't sound good. Pop said they are worried that it could be a disk thing. If he's hurt for an extended period of time, it's going to be a huge blow ... especially with Duncan out.

That's what I thought when I heard about the 'crunching sounds' that Devin described, and Pop admitted that the team had the same concerns as well on the Pop Show earlier.

My dad has had 2 surgeries for slipped discs in his time. Had a similar incident on a boat that got the whole thing snowballing; Slipped a little bit and heard a crunch in his back when he caught himself. They really did a number on him. He can hardly turn his neck to meet his shoulder now, and has had to rule out pretty much all physicality from his life. Which means there is no way in hell he could run up and down a basketball court.

Granted, he's got a good 20 years on Devin Brown, but even hearing the mention of bad discs in that guy's back is very worrisome, even in the long run.

Kori Ellis
Pop was just speculating about the disc problem. Let's wait until the MRI results come in before panicking.

Dex
03-22-2005, 06:55 PM
*puts away the yellow rubber jumpsuits*

Nikos
03-22-2005, 06:55 PM
Devin was the only consistent scorer the past two games. He had been playing great ball. Tough blow considering the existing injuries.

timvp
03-22-2005, 07:02 PM
Brown is the type of player who will play through pretty much any injury, so him going back to SA is a bad sign. The "crunching" sound comment and the fact that he was having pains down his legs pretty much means it's disc related. Hopefully it's something that he can get treatment on and deal with in the offseason.

whottt
03-22-2005, 07:58 PM
How did he come back in he game last night if he is so seriously injured?

Kori Ellis
03-22-2005, 08:01 PM
He got hurt in Detroit. In the first quarter of last night's game, he was already laying on his stomach on the sidelines before he had even got in the game. Obviously at that point, they were just trying to stretch it out or whatever. Then after playing last night, he apparently aggravated it even more when he went down. Then it tighten up or got worse over night last night.

Guru of Nothing
03-22-2005, 08:04 PM
How did he come back in he game last night if he is so seriously injured?

If it's a vertabrae issue, I cannot speak from experience, but I have had lower-back muscles tighten up like a mofo (back spasms) well after straining them. It was like .... strain, get-by, get-by, get-by, PAYBACK TIME.

Dex
03-22-2005, 08:06 PM
Exactly. My dad didn't have his first surgery until probably a year after he originally strained his back.

It just continually gave him problems during that time.

Furthermore, I think Pop had said today that his back didn't REALLY tighten up until this morning, to the point where Devin was having trouble walking.

Devin also twisted an ankle slightly, and also looked like he may have banged a knee with another Pistons player, which is why I had figured they had him go back to the locker room last night.

whottt
03-22-2005, 08:09 PM
We need to forget about trying to win the division and focus on learning to win on the road for the rest of the season because we are screwed...I don't think we can hold the division with Duncan and Devin out...ummm we cannot hold it...and whatever happens with Barry I don't expect it to fix the problem since starting for Manu didn't...Play that D

leemajors
03-22-2005, 09:16 PM
i work in a bar, and pulled a muscle in my back about a year and a half ago. oddly enough, it didn't feel like a pull, i felt/heard a crack and was frozen in place for 5 mins in our beer closet (no fun). hopefully this is something similar to what i experienced and not a disc problem.

TDfan2007
03-22-2005, 09:38 PM
AND JUST WHEN I THOUGHT THINGS COULDN'T GET ANY FUCKING WORSE!!!!!

OUR BEST BENCH PLAYER GOES OUT!!!!!!

HOW MANY GAMES!!!!!

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!

:pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss

boutons
03-22-2005, 09:40 PM
"How did he come back in he game last night if he is so seriously injured?"

Seriously injured? I doubt it. A slightly traumatized lumbar nerve sending out cramping signals? probably. The pain and immobility seem to greatly outweigh the tiny nerve trauma, but where the spine and major nerves are involved, the body doesn't fuck around, it cramps up to protect the nerves.

His muscles were still warm, but the nerve had had its shock or even a minor bruise, even if the cramp had not set in totallly, so he could continue moving. After his muscles cooled, like on the plane, or overnight in bed, the cramp could really set in. Or, no cramp right away upon cooling, but simply bending over to brush his teeth, the slightest, benign increased pressure in the lumbar area, tonight or tomorrow, and WHAM!

Nearly all non-chronic back spasms release in 10 - 14 days by itself, with or without therapy. A huge money spinner for doctors, but what they do really doesn't matter. If you like to pop pills, an OTC anti-inflammatory or muscle relaxant could help release the cramp, and something for the pain. Heat, jacuzzi, hot tub, etc. But time is the surest therapy.

The cause seemed to be Devin coming down on one stiff leg, his skeleton absorbing the shock instead of his muscles+tendons, and I think his back was also leaning to one side, a totally "unfair" move, so his lumbar nerve, about lumbar 4 or 5, inspite of his young, full discs, got squeezed and sent out signals to cramp the muscles to immobilize the spine and prevent further injury.

Herr Doktor Professor Boutons, multi-decade victim of back spasms, has left the Clinique. :)

cherylsteele
03-22-2005, 09:48 PM
Anybody record that game. I'm pretty sure on that play where Brown drove to the basket and hurt his back it was Malik that came down with a forearm on Devin's back as he was going out of bouunds. I could be wrong though.

I saw the game on TV....on that play he got up real slowly and gingerly went to the line...that had to be the time he got hurt......all the injuries wouldn't be as poingnant except it is at the end of the season time....you would hope we could get on a roll and really gel....it seems the only things on a roll are ankles and backs........aaarrrggghhh!!

Guru of Nothing
03-22-2005, 09:55 PM
but simply bending over to brush his teeth, the slightest, benign increased pressure in the lumbar area, tonight or tomorrow, and WHAM!

How wussy! My most recent back spasm was caused by picking up a (very heavy) laundry basket; that; and deadlifts.

ETA: and never you mind that the laundry basket was empty.

boutons
03-22-2005, 10:34 PM
"laundry basket was empty"

exactly. One of my worst cramps, putting me in a university clinic bed for a week, was sitting down, pulling my thigh to my chest to clip toenails. hardly strenous. When I stood, WHAM. I walked to clinic at 1 AM and was so tight I could not put right foot foward.

Left foot foward 6 inches,
grimace,
bring right foot from behind to even with left,

left foot foward 6 inches,
grimace,
bring right foot from back to even with left,

repeat for 1/4 mile. :)

1Parker1
03-22-2005, 10:37 PM
Jeez at the rate our luck is going, our starting lineup may just turn out to be Mass, Barry, Beno, Glover, and Horry....:(

Tough break...any updates on Manu, BTW? He has sat out for a few weeks now, I didn't realize his groin injury was that serious. When's he expected to come back full time?

TMTTRIO
03-22-2005, 10:56 PM
Pop said he was feeling good and just had a bad game. I didn't get to see the game but I think he's still trying to recover and get better. The weird thing is PJ said that he woke up stiff the day of the game.

mattyc
03-22-2005, 10:58 PM
Just when he was coming into peak form. :depressed

ShoogarBear
03-22-2005, 11:05 PM
The Spurs are:

http://www.mastel.ch/fun-animals/snakebit.jpg

SNAKEBIT!

Jdspur20
03-22-2005, 11:11 PM
:depressed