PDA

View Full Version : Dahntay Jones: Dude is playing strong

tmtcsc
04-27-2009, 09:54 PM
Has anyone been noticing this guy come into his own this year ? He's been around a while but has definitely arrived during these playoffs. I've never seen anyone play defense like he has on Chris Paul. Its unreal.

On several occasions he's gotten into defensive position while Paul is taking the ball up the court and started talking to him like he's a punk. I'm not sure what he's saying but he's saying it with an attitude and a snarl...kind of like "C'mon CP, bring that weak shit over here" and he's backing it up by shadowing him all over the court.

I believe he signed a 1 year deal with the Nuggets for about 900K or so. He's definitely one guy we should pursue in the off-season. He has the defensive tenacity we have lacked this year. Maybe a real heir apparent to Bowen.

Has anyone else noticed him or been watching him ?

Holy Crap, the Nuggets have lapped the Hornets. Its 111-55 as I type this.

** CP finished w/ 4 points tonight. That's obviously not all because of Jones but he played a big part of it by making him work and doing a great job of staying in front of him.

Spursox
04-27-2009, 10:10 PM
Hope RC is watching or reading this post.....

Slinkyman
04-27-2009, 10:19 PM
Dahntay Jones has turned into one of the best perimeter defensive players in the league, the spurs would be fools not to pursue him this off-season, especially after how horrible our perimeter D has been.

SenorSpur
04-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Has anyone been noticing this guy come into his own this year ? He's been around a while but has definitely arrived during these playoffs. I've never seen anyone play defense like he has on Chris Paul. Its unreal.

On several occasions he's gotten into defensive position while Paul is taking the ball up the court and started talking to him like he's a punk. I'm not sure what he's saying but he's saying it with an attitude and a snarl...kind of like "C'mon CP, bring that weak shit over here" and he's backing it up by shadowing him all over the court.

I believe he signed a 1 year deal with the Nuggets for about 900K or so. He's definitely one guy we should pursue in the off-season. He has the defensive tenacity we have lacked this year. Maybe a real heir apparent to Bowen.

Has anyone else noticed him or been watching him ?

Holy Crap, the Nuggets have lapped the Hornets. Its 111-55 as I type this.

** CP finished w/ 4 points tonight. That's obviously not all because of Jones but he played a big part of it by making him work and doing a great job of staying in front of him.

Couldn't agree more. I've always thought he was a very underrated defender. He does have good athleticism. Still needs work on his shot. However, he's done yeoman's work on shutting down CP3.

He definitely an UFA and he'd be an ideal FA acquisition. Here that, R.C.?

HarlemHeat37
04-27-2009, 10:48 PM
He's definitely somebody I could picture in a Spurs jersey, and he would probably come for relatively cheap..

Killakobe81
04-27-2009, 11:04 PM
He would be a great fit in Dallas or SA because obviously paul will have to be dealt with ...
i was thinking the same thing as the op he has done the best job of punking paul this side of DWill ...
Anyone catch his interviews? he said CP3 started wih the ish talking and that he aint no punk he is a man and would not back down ...
i love that!!
Only problem is you need to play him with a great shooter at PG. Unless he works on his shot A LOT ...

SenorSpur
04-27-2009, 11:05 PM
I could actually see him as one of those players the Spurs spend a little more money than expected on, we complain, and he works out great, ala Roger Mason.

Just so long as we keep him away from running point.

:lol

tmtcsc
04-27-2009, 11:08 PM
:lol

I could actually see him as one of those players the Spurs spend a little more money than expected on, we complain, and he works out great, ala Roger Mason.

Just so long as we keep him away from running point.

:lol That's a good one.

Thomas82
04-28-2009, 12:15 AM
Get him in here.

timtonymanu
04-28-2009, 03:13 AM
i'd love for this guy to be a Spur. He can replace Udoka.

tmtcsc
04-28-2009, 08:31 AM
Can any Denver fan tell us what he means to their team ? Is he appreciated as much as JR Smith ?

SenorSpur
04-28-2009, 10:46 AM
I know that George Karl appreciates Jones - big time. His play is part of the reason why Karl can afford NOT to start J.R. Smith - who is a dumb-ass in his own right.

Besides Jones, the other player I'd like to see the Spurs target off the Nugs roster is backup PG, and former Spur, Jason Hart. He'd be a good 3rd PG.

lefty
04-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Why do you think Nuggets will let him go?

tmtcsc
04-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Why do you think Nuggets will let him go?

He's an unrestricted free agent. If he wants to go somewhere else he can.

lefty
04-28-2009, 11:02 AM
He's an unrestricted free agent. If he wants to go somewhere else he can.

Yeah, but he is too young for the Spurs

tmtcsc
04-28-2009, 11:11 AM
He's 28, which would make him young for us. In all seriousness, he's entering his peak. He has 5 years of experience. He wouldn't cost too much but would bring big returns on D..He also can finish strong at the rim.

pad300
04-28-2009, 11:30 AM
I know that George Karl appreciates Jones - big time. His play is part of the reason why Karl can afford NOT to start J.R. Smith - who is a dumb-ass in his own right.

Besides Jones, the other player I'd like to see the Spurs target off the Nugs roster is backup PG, and former Spur, Jason Hart. He'd be a good 3rd PG.

Actually, the Denver Nuggets should really be a team we look at for FA's this offseason. They are a) likely over cap, just on signed contracts alone $69,326,776 (including Steven Hunter's ETO, which I think he'd be a fool to take, because no one else is going to offer him 3.8 million - he hasn't played a game this year). b) They have something like 4 FA's who SA might be interested in. Jason Hart (UFA, 3ed PG), Dahntay Jones (UFA, SG & SF backup), Chris Andersen (UFA, starting C next to TD), Linas Kleiza (RFA, SF & small ball PF). I'd be comfortable with any of those guys on the Spurs. Not to mention, there's also Renaldo Balkman (SF & small ball PF), who I'd be happy to try and work into an S&T deal...

benefactor
04-28-2009, 12:15 PM
Actually, the Denver Nuggets should really be a team we look at for FA's this offseason. They are a) likely over cap, just on signed contracts alone $69,326,776 (including Steven Hunter's ETO, which I think he'd be a fool to take, because no one else is going to offer him 3.8 million - he hasn't played a game this year). b) They have something like 4 FA's who SA might be interested in. Jason Hart (UFA, 3ed PG), Dahntay Jones (UFA, SG & SF backup), Chris Andersen (UFA, starting C next to TD), Linas Kleiza (RFA, SF & small ball PF). I'd be comfortable with any of those guys on the Spurs. Not to mention, there's also Renaldo Balkman (SF & small ball PF), who I'd be happy to try and work into an S&T deal...
I remember looking at this earlier in the season and thinking the same thing. Denver is going to be in cap hell this summer and will probably have to shed some weight. Look for them to match whatever offers they get for Kleiza though, because the owner is in love with him.

Of those players, Jones is probably the most attainable. Though I would love to have him, I don't see our FO going for Andersen for obvious reasons. We could have had Balkman last offseason if we wanted him so I doubt we go for him now.

Morg1411
04-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Speaking as Denver native, and part-time Nuggets fan.*

With Karl's shift to defense this season, Jones has been extremely important to the Nuggets. Denver's over-emphasis on offense and running a fast game has always spelled doom for them in the post season, which is why improving Jones' game, the acquisition of Billups and the play of the Birdman have all been so instrumental in Denver's great playoff performance to date (though the capital SUCK value of the Hornets is, obviously, a huge factor).

I wouldn't be surprised if Denver tries to hold on to Jones, but he could be interesting to pursue as part of a trade. SA could definitely use a defender of his caliber.

* meaning I root for them when they're not playing against the Spurs