PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Bruuuuce – opening farewell

timvp
04-28-2009, 01:39 AM
Bruuuuce – opening farewell
Buck Harvey

For old times, Bruce Bowen should bump into Josh Howard's wobbly ankle.

Bowen should do this, naturally, with arms spread, with the wide-eyed look of an innocent. Then he should bump into Dirk Nowitzki, J.J. Barea and anyone else who passes by.

For old times, Bowen should also walk out for the tip tonight for the first time in the AT&T Center since Nov. 28. He should start, just as he did every night for the previous seven years, just as he did for three championships.

Because this may be the last time.

Nothing is certain now, including the length of the series. As it was in 2006 against the Mavericks, Bowen might be back for a Game 7.

Summer decisions are as sketchy. The Spurs have yet to begin discussions on what to do with the roster and, with Bowen, there are several options.

They could keep him, and that would be easy enough. He's under contract next season.

But his salary is only partially guaranteed. The Spurs can buy him out for half of the $4 million he is due, then pursue someone else with the savings. Or they could trade him this summer, or they could trade him next season.

They already tried to trade him this season, and for a reason. Bowen might not be playing at all against Dallas if Manu Ginobili were healthy.

So the Spurs will evaluate, and they will repeat what they said last summer. They need to get younger, right?

That makes sense, except for this — Bowen seemingly never gets old. Earlier this month, NBA TV showed consecutive Spurs' closeout games from their championship years, and the 2003 game was striking.

Tony Parker looked like a baby and Tim Duncan like an MVP. Bowen looked the same. While other players have gone through unmistakable stages, Bowen's differences were subtle. He's lost a step, but it's difficult to see.

That's Bowen, ever the non-traditionalist. He's never been much of a rebounder, and he's never averaged double figures in scoring. Yet he deserves to have his number retired.

His defensive stats have never impressed, either. Jason Kidd, for example, has averaged almost 150 steals a season for his career; Bowen has never had more than 84 in any season in San Antonio.

Still, he chased scorers, and he irritated them. And when he sat down this season, the Spurs changed.

Sometimes they were better for it. Sometimes Roger Mason Jr. and others scored as Bowen rarely could.

But Saturday showed again what the Spurs once were with him. Inserted into the starting lineup to defend Barea, Bowen competed and brought playoff-tested toughness.

Afterward, as he left the locker room, he was asked if there was an adjustment since he had started for the first time in 70 games. He shrugged.

“I'd done it so many times,” he said.

If Bowen has complained this season, he's done it privately. But that doesn't mean he's been happy. He always defended his turf with a lot of pride, and he thinks he can still play. Bowen has told friends he will try to play elsewhere next season if the Spurs don't want him anymore.

He's also told people he will come back here to live, no matter how this ends for him. He's found a home.

So tonight means something to him, and to the franchise. If this is his last game in a Spurs uniform, it's the opening farewell to an era. Bowen will be the first of the core that won three titles to leave.

That's why he should start as he did 500 consecutive times for the Spurs, and why he should have a chance to be what he was, and why Howard's ankle should be on alert.

For old times.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Bruuuuce__opening_farewell.html

timvp
04-28-2009, 01:40 AM
It sucks to think we could be 24 hours away from Bowen's Spurs career being over :depressed

urunobili
04-28-2009, 01:44 AM
What a great article by Harvey... i think Bruce has another run with us... but after seeing how Pop handled the situation this year i wouldn't be suprised if he ends up playing two more seasons somewhere else either... it's granted nbr 12 is being retired...

tp2021
04-28-2009, 01:45 AM
It sucks to think we could be 24 hours away from Bowen's Spurs career being over :depressed

His career may or may not be over tomorrow, but one thing's for sure: his jersey will hang in the rafters, with all of the Spurs greats, forever.

BUMP
04-28-2009, 01:50 AM
i gotta give him props. even though he's had a few questionable plays in his career, he was still the heart and soul of a championship team, pretty classy guy, played great defense. I even admired him a little bit and watched him when i was in high school to better my own defense as a basketball player.

Even as a douche Mavfan i'll be sad to see him retire:toast

timvp
04-28-2009, 01:50 AM
To me, it doesn't make much sense to let Bowen go this offseason. Yeah, he's old but he doesn't have much NBA mileage on his tires. He's not the defense beast he used to be but he's still by far the best perimeter defender on this team. The Spurs would have had absolutely zero chances of beating the Mavs without Bowen on their roster.

Compared to Finley, Bowen looks like a spry 25-year-old. Pop should have forced Finley into retirement, not Bowen ... but that's a topic of a different thread.

$2 million for a game-changing defensive player who is a proven clutch shooter in the playoffs? Unless the Spurs are going to start rebuilding with tons of youngsters and wait for 2010, letting go of Bowen would be a mistake.

Unfortunately, my guess is that Bowen won't be coming back.

alchemist
04-28-2009, 01:54 AM
hopefully Bruce is back for one more year, he has shown flashes of the old Bruce many times during the season. When he was put on Artest on the last home game against the Rockets that was some of the most physical defense anyone has played on Artest, he was just smothering the guy.

One more year with the big 3 all starting would be something I hope for next fall.

baseline bum
04-28-2009, 01:55 AM

If the Spurs cut Bruce this summer then they might as well trade Manu to get younger too.

anjlbitz
04-28-2009, 02:00 AM
I hope someone from the media starts to grow some balls and ask Pop why the hell he benched Bowen this year despite his decent showing this season. Just to end the speculations once and for all. I would love to hear his explanation.

I'm aware that he has 4 rings and is a future HOFer so who am I to question his methods, right? But I think the Spurs fans deserve to know why he's moving away from his winning formula.

pawe
04-28-2009, 02:04 AM
Cue the troll reply: Cut him so he can stick his foot underneath a Spur shooting a jumpshooter.

mytespurs
04-28-2009, 02:05 AM
If the Spurs cut him or let him go (hope not!), where would bruce possibly end up? :(:depressed

alchemist
04-28-2009, 02:06 AM
I hope someone from the media starts to grow some balls and ask Pop why the hell he benched Bowen this year despite his decent showing this season. Just to end the speculations once and for all. I would love to hear his explanation.

I'm aware that he has 4 rings and is a future HOFer so who am I to question his methods, right? But I think the Spurs fans deserve to know why he's moving away from his winning formula.
If you watched the Spurs last season the answer is right before you. They needed to score more points because their offense last year put too much pressure on their defense. Every bucket was a pain in the ass for the Spurs to get, more strain on Timmy in the post.

This is my personal belief as to why they went with a more offensive unit this year.

baseline bum
04-28-2009, 02:09 AM
If you watched the Spurs last season the answer is right before you. They needed to score more points because their offense last year put too much pressure on their defense. Every bucket was a pain in the ass for the Spurs to get, more strain on Timmy in the post.

This is my personal belief as to why they went with a more offensive unit this year.

What put pressure on the Spurs was sitting Bowen and letting Udoka and Ginobili take turns guarding Kobe.

alchemist
04-28-2009, 02:12 AM
What put pressure on the Spurs was sitting Bowen and letting Udoka and Ginobili take turns guarding Kobe.
the only ones who showed up for that series was Tony/Timmy/Barry, almost like this years playoffs.

st้phane
04-28-2009, 02:13 AM
Bowen is underated. Always been. And now even Pop "I preach defense" does it.
Lame.

anjlbitz
04-28-2009, 02:16 AM

I thought they addressed that problem with Mason.

I definitely understand cutting his minutes, but he had DNP-CDs and was out of the rotation while Finley who didn't provide enough offense to compensate for his atrocious defense played 30+mins.

I wish he would retire with the Spurs. He was a vital cog for the Spurs' 3 most recent rings.

anjlbitz
04-28-2009, 02:18 AM

I have vivid memories of Game 1, 3rd quarter when Udoka subbed for Bowen.

Kobe's eyes lit like a child at FAO Schwarz with mommy and daddy's credit card

SenorSpur
04-28-2009, 02:27 AM
I hope Finley goes before Bowen.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-28-2009, 02:54 AM
But Saturday showed again what the Spurs once were with him. Inserted into the starting lineup to defend Barea, Bowen competed and brought playoff-tested toughness.

Afterward, as he left the locker room, he was asked if there was an adjustment since he had started for the first time in 70 games. He shrugged.

“I'd done it so many times,” he said.

If Bowen has complained this season, he's done it privately. But that doesn't mean he's been happy. He always defended his turf with a lot of pride, and he thinks he can still play. Bowen has told friends he will try to play elsewhere next season if the Spurs don't want him anymore.

So Pop threw Bowen under the bus for Finley to continue starting and more offense from Mason and Bonner types??:nope

If Bowen is gone next year I'm going to be pissed. Tim and Manu won't want to do any more new HEB commercials if it's just them.

crc21209
04-28-2009, 03:03 AM
I don't wanna see Bowen go...at all. He truly defines the meaning to be a Spur. Without him...it just wont be the same. :flag:

objective
04-28-2009, 03:08 AM
I have vivid memories of Game 1, 3rd quarter when Udoka subbed for Bowen.

Kobe's eyes lit like a child at FAO Schwarz with mommy and daddy's credit card

Exactly. Up 20, 6 minutes left in the third, Bowen picks up only his third foul and Pop pulls a Pop and inexplicably yanks him from the game. As soon as it happened anyone with a clue knew it was terrible and the Lakers would mount a charge right then.

porscha
04-28-2009, 03:10 AM
gee..this article makes me sad...:depressed

Capt Bringdown
04-28-2009, 03:35 AM
Truth be told, the Big 3 is actually a Big 4. Without him, we don't win the last 3 rings.

Bowen is as irreplaceable as TD, TP or Manu. Players like him don't come around too often.

tp2021
04-28-2009, 03:53 AM
When it happens, Bruce's press conference to announce his retirement should be immediately followed by the press conference to announce his jersey-retiring ceremony.

Danny.Zhu
04-28-2009, 04:38 AM

The offense drought is not just Bruce's fault. Compared to some other players like Bonner, Udoka, Bowen at least contributed at one end on the court.

NZ Spurs
04-28-2009, 04:45 AM
Can his style of D be taught? Surely with Hill and Hairston, Bowen would have a mentor role avaliable.... at least.

It just does not seem right not having him on the team. People always go on about the "big three" it was never a big three it was a big five with Bruce and Pop equally as important on those championship teams.

BruceBowenFan
04-28-2009, 04:52 AM
It is a great privilege for my 1,000 post, that i say it would be a sad day if and when bruce is traded or let go. But no matter what i will continue to support Bruce.

Chris
04-28-2009, 05:03 AM
If he doesn't play here next year I wouldn't mind seeing him going back to Miami. You definitely don't want him playing for anyone in the West considering he knows our playbook inside and out.

I'm sure most fans here want to see him retire a Spur, but you really have to consider what's good for the team, and I'm sure Buford will make the right call.

If he does go I'm really going to miss him and his pre-game antics, seeing him mess around with Elliott always brings a smile to my face.

boutons_deux
04-28-2009, 05:11 AM
I'm SURE Pop won't dishonor Bruce by trading him away like any venal banker's toxic asset.

SA210
04-28-2009, 05:15 AM
Along with Manu, Bruce is my favorite Spur. I have appreciated him from day 1. I admire him so much it's ridiculous. It'd be a huge mistake to let him go from this team, just like it was stupid to take him out of the starting lineup.

I never got to meet him, which is a dream to me. I have always wanted to meet Bruce Bowen. :toast

:depressed

Bruno
04-28-2009, 05:48 AM
Whether or not Bruce will play with Spurs next year mainly depends on what he wants to do.

Spurs could waive him to save $2M or Spurs could do a Ferry/Hedo like trade with him but I'm sure Pop will still have a min contract offer on the table for him.

It will be up to him to decide what to do with this offer. I don't see him signing with another NBA team so the choice will be retirement or to play another year.

George Gervin's Afro
04-28-2009, 07:39 AM
I just got his jersey... I love the guy. In my opinion he fits exactly the kind of player the Spurs have looked for over the past 10 yrs. I have heard Pop and Buford mention on several occasions that they like players with things to prove. I am extremely greatful that we have had more Bowens than Mercers..

bdictjames
04-28-2009, 07:50 AM
I don't really care how old Bruce Bowen is. He might be 45 but he's still a better defender than half the NBA. Our team was built on defense, its won on defense, and I think Pop should just let Bruce start every damn game.

onarollbaby
04-28-2009, 07:53 AM
No.. No.. No...

Das Texan
04-28-2009, 08:07 AM
Its been painful to see Bruce pushed to the wayside while others get additional minutes.

This along with the benching of Georgie are the two things that may have fucked us beyond belief this year, the Manu injury notwithstanding.

I will never understand it in my entire lifetime. If anyone 'deserved' better treatment in the twilight of their career its Bruce. I hope Timmy doesnt get the same bullshit from Pop as he continues to age.

George Gervin's Afro
04-28-2009, 08:13 AM
Good point. Our defense sucks even more without him.

Spursmania
04-28-2009, 08:27 AM

His career may or may not be over tomorrow, but one thing's for sure: his jersey will hang in the rafters, with all of the Spurs greats, forever.

I don't wanna see Bowen go...at all. He truly defines the meaning to be a Spur. Without him...it just wont be the same. :flag:

When it happens, Bruce's press conference to announce his retirement should be immediately followed by the press conference to announce his jersey-retiring ceremony.

All that was right with the Spurs included Bruce Bowen. :depressed

Thomas82
04-28-2009, 09:14 AM
i don't really care how old bruce bowen is. He might be 45 but he's still a better defender than half the nba. Our team was built on defense, its won on defense, and i think pop should just let bruce start every damn game.

+1

JoeChalupa
04-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Bruce is the man.

loveforthegame
04-28-2009, 09:36 AM
I don't know why Bowen wasn't on Howard from the start. He's done more damage than Barea or Terry.

It will be a sad day when Bowen is no longer with the Spurs.

Lebowski Brickowski
04-28-2009, 09:57 AM
Pop failed in the offense for defense switch experiment. I've been one of Pop's biggest supporters for years but if he cuts Bruce, I don't see how I can continue to prop the guy up.

leemajors
04-28-2009, 10:18 AM
offer him a spot on the coaching staff if you decline the option.

z0sa
04-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Pop failed in the offense for defense switch experiment. I've been one of Pop's biggest supporters for years but if he cuts Bruce, I don't see how I can continue to prop the guy up.

it'd be nigh impossible for me to support pop ever again, in any decision. It's already getting harder with how unreasonable he's become.

xtremesteven33
04-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Bruce Bowen -to me- has always been the "backbone" of this Spurs team. He isnt the engine or the heart of the team but his defensive intensity and his team first attitiude is the principle/philosophy and the backbone that has won 3 championships for the Spurs.

And when you lose a player like that im afraid you lose a VITAL piece of the Championship puzzle that I dont think you can ever replace.....

NRHector
04-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Bruce Bowen -to me- has always been the "backbone" of this Spurs team. He isnt the engine or the heart of the team but his defensive intensity and his team first attitiude is the principle/philosophy and the backbone that has won 3 championships for the Spurs.

And when you lose a player like that im afraid you lose a VITAL piece of the Championship puzzle that I dont think you can ever replace.....amen :toast

ploto
04-28-2009, 10:55 AM
The question could also be whether Bruce wants to sit on the bench for the Spurs another year. He is good enough that other teams will want him, and he has play left in him. The fact that the Spurs dangled him in trades tells you they lowered his value to the team. As I said after game 3, watching him in garbage time while Udoka rests- maybe Bruce does not want another year of that.

MoSpur
04-28-2009, 10:59 AM
It would be dumb to let him walk. He can come off the bench to help on defense or start occasionally to try to prevent the other team's best offensive player from starting off hot.

Bigzax
04-28-2009, 11:02 AM
Bruce is the only wing worth a shit that Pop and RC ever brought in.

who the hell do the expect to bring in to replace him?

who the hell is going to make the HEB commercials with TD and Manu?

show me a young bruce bowen on this team and i'd begrudgingly accept the fact that it's time to move on.

Pop and Co have failed to replenish the roster with players who's nuts have dropped.

And fuck holt and co's cheap ass. Sell the team if you aren't going to do what it takes to put the best possible players on the floor.

that is all. :)

Cant_Be_Faded
04-28-2009, 11:04 AM
Man I am going to be sad if Bowen isn't back next year. He didn't even get a fucking chance this year.

td4mvp21
04-28-2009, 11:29 AM
If Bruce is gone, then the FO should get rid of every other fucking old person on this team and that includes Finley. If we keep Finley over Bruce...I don't even know, I would be irate.

caribbean_spur
04-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Bruce is my 3rd fav Spurs after TD and Manu. I will be really sad if it is his last game with the Spurs. If there were not enough reasons to watch this game tonight, here is one more.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-28-2009, 11:36 AM
To me, it doesn't make much sense to let Bowen go this offseason. Yeah, he's old but he doesn't have much NBA mileage on his tires. He's not the defense beast he used to be but he's still by far the best perimeter defender on this team. The Spurs would have had absolutely zero chances of beating the Mavs without Bowen on their roster.

Compared to Finley, Bowen looks like a spry 25-year-old. Pop should have forced Finley into retirement, not Bowen ... but that's a topic of a different thread.

$2 million for a game-changing defensive player who is a proven clutch shooter in the playoffs? Unless the Spurs are going to start rebuilding with tons of youngsters and wait for 2010, letting go of Bowen would be a mistake.

Nice post.

Moving Bruce out of the rotation hurt the Spurs as much as any of the injuries to the big 3 this year, I think. He should have had Finley's minutes throughout the season.

EricB
04-28-2009, 12:30 PM
I doubt this is his last game.

Pretty much gauranteed he's bought out, but Bowen comes back for the minimum.

FromWayDowntown
04-28-2009, 12:48 PM
I got to thinking that IF this is somehow the end of the road for this season, I hope that those who go to the game will stick around to the end and be sure to let these Spurs know just how much they're appreciated by this community. I realize there are many here who would consider that sentiment sappy, but it's extraordinarily disrespectful to not appreciate all that the Spurs have done in this generation.

If it's the end of the road for Bruce, it's the end of a generation in many ways. Tim, Tony, and Manu will stay (most likely), but Bowen has -- as others have said -- always been the rock-solid backbone of these teams. He's the fourth Beatle for this group of Spurs, but he's always been that quiet, steady force that has allowed this team to keep an even keel and stay in games. He's been selfless on the floor and off. He's always been there to step up after a tough loss and talk; he's been there to be the smiling face after so many big wins. His arrival in San Antonio immediately changed the mentality of a franchise that had just had its collective ass kicked by a young and charging Lakers team. And his willingness to just to a thankless job is a huge reason that the Spurs ever got over the hump against those guys.

He's been screwed out of countless Defensive Player of the Year awards (several times getting the most votes from coaches for the All-Defense Team in the same year). He really should have been the MVP of the 2007 Finals, not because he scored 6 ppg or because he led the team in minutes played, but because of the biggest number in that series -- .356 (The King's shooting percentage). Someday, kids will marvel at the statisitical accomplishments of Lebron James and, I think, they'll wonder at the anomalously bad performance in that series; I only wish there was an MVP award for Bruce Bowen to make the reason for it all the more historically memorable.

But it's the understanding of team -- and the willingness to do his job for something more than individual accolades -- that makes Bruce iconic in San Antonio. It's why the fans of this City should embrace him at every opportunity, no matter how many or few of those there might be.

I'll be shouting "Bruuuuuuuucccccceeeeee" tonight whenever he enters the game and I'll stick around to the end to thank the Spurs for surviving another day -- or for taking me on an incredible ride for the last decade (with the hope that it will continue).

Kermit
04-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Bruce is Ringo? Interesting...

TimDunkem
04-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Bruce is Ringo? Interesting...

It seems that way.

Bruce is not expendable!

EricB
04-28-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm wearing my Bruce jersey to the game tonight.

It better F'ing not be the last game.

I have confidence it won't be in more ways than one.

Libri
04-28-2009, 01:15 PM
I salute you Bruce. :toast

http://www.joeiverson.com/Library/final07/swins/bowen.jpg

DPG21920
04-28-2009, 01:53 PM

If you can use Bowen as a trade piece to bring in a player of need, then you can use the MLE to sign a need as well.

Say for example, a team is looking to straight salary dump. If you can get a SF or C that really helps (at least more impact wise for the remainder of Duncan's career) then you can use the MLE to target someone else of need.

The only way trading Bowen or buying him out makes sense is if you plan on taking on salary as in my scenario. If not, hang onto him for 2 mil.

spurschick
04-28-2009, 01:58 PM
From Bruce on Facebook:

"Just wanted to say thanks to all the fans out there for their support in this tough spot. We can only go out and give it our best. Wish us luck."

ploto
04-28-2009, 02:01 PM
Buck's articles are often strategically placed and this one fits in that mold perfectly- you know, where he sets up in advance the explanation for what the Spurs are planning.

From Bruce on Facebook:

"Just wanted to say thanks to all the fans out there for their support in this tough spot. We can only go out and give it our best. Wish us luck."

I remember when Spurs fans lambasted Beno for having his MySpace but this season they have clamored all over the players Twitters and Facebooks- like Manu and Bruce.

DPG21920
04-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Buck's articles are often strategically placed and this one fits in that mold perfectly- you know, where he sets up in advance the explanation for what the Spurs are planning.

I remember when Spurs fans lambasted Beno for having his MySpace but this season they have clamored all over the players Twitters and Facebooks- like Manu and Bruce.

See the theme? Produce and no one cares. Have tables and bottle service reserved every night, people complain.

Spurs Brazil
04-28-2009, 02:49 PM
Nice post.

Moving Bruce out of the rotation hurt the Spurs as much as any of the injuries to the big 3 this year, I think. He should have had Finley's minutes throughout the season.

Agree 100%.
Bruce is the 4th best player on the team behind only the big 3. See Mason, Finley and Udoka trying to play D hurts.
I hope Bruce has one more season on him and with the Spurs

BWS-1994
04-28-2009, 02:55 PM
I think Bruce will be playing with more fire tonight, just to show that he still have lots left.

dtk
04-28-2009, 03:11 PM
I gotta say, there is no way for me to know for sure since I've never been a fan of the team he played for, but I think even if he was on my team I would find it impossible to respect or cheer for a person who has twice jumped off the ground and kicked someone in the face while playing basketball.

jdev82
04-28-2009, 03:17 PM
when he gets warmed up, i defy you all to come up with a better perimeter defender in the league. see? it cant be done. hes simply the single greatest defender of the no hand check era, and the geratest single coverage defender since michael cooper, maybe better than him. is coop a HOFer? and bruce may help us pull a win out our asses. well win game 5, and likely game six will go multiple overtimes. game 7? who knows.
spurs to the death! never forget number 12

DPG21920
04-28-2009, 03:21 PM
I gotta say, there is no way for me to know for sure since I've never been a fan of the team he played for, but I think even if he was on my team I would find it impossible to respect or cheer for a person who has twice jumped off the ground and kicked someone in the face while playing basketball.

Do you root for nut-punchers?

Or how about guys who constantly get into fights when they are losing?

QrkkDgh_zMo

Lebowski Brickowski
04-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Wouldn't it be great to see Bruce go for 21 like (once in a blue moon) back in the day?

dtk
04-28-2009, 03:27 PM
it is one thing to lose it in a scuffle. It is an entirely different thing to kick someone in the face who is standing up...

You can find videos of just about anyone in the NBA getting in a scuffle. I've never seen anyone else jump into the air and kick another player in the face during play... twice

TheDarkSide.
04-28-2009, 03:31 PM
i'd hate the spurs letting bruce go, especially if he goes finley and to a rival. i just imagine bruce in an other teams jersey anymore...ugh.

Marcus Bryant
04-28-2009, 03:31 PM
I see Buck's been reading the forum and holding this article in reserve.

Exactly. If they are going to let Bruce go due to $ and for a 'youth movement,' then they need to embrace such a movement fully, instead of leaving enough old dudes on the team such that Pop can still instinctively go to them.

Marcus Bryant
04-28-2009, 03:32 PM

:baby

And fuck you.

FromWayDowntown
04-28-2009, 03:32 PM
It would be really tempting, if you hadn't watched the Spurs routinely through the years, to boil Bruce Bowen down to just a few "dirty plays" and think him unworthy of respect because of that.

It would be really hard to watch the Spurs routinely through the years and boil Bruce Bowen down to just a few dirty plays and it would be impossible, I think, to do anything other than respect the man.

Marcus Bryant
04-28-2009, 03:33 PM

They lambasted Beno because he promoted he highlighted his douchebaggery there. Having a MySpace page says it all, IMO.

Creation88
04-28-2009, 03:34 PM
i will be completely pissed if the Spurs don't do the right thing and bring him back. Bruce has almost as much to do with the Championships runs as Tim. yeah, i said it.

dtk
04-28-2009, 03:37 PM
It would be really tempting, if you hadn't watched the Spurs routinely through the years, to boil Bruce Bowen down to just a few "dirty plays" and think him unworthy of respect because of that.

It would be really hard to watch the Spurs routinely through the years and boil Bruce Bowen down to just a few dirty plays and it would be impossible, I think, to do anything other than respect the man.

I can see that

TimDunkem
04-28-2009, 03:38 PM
i will be completely pissed if the Spurs don't do the right thing and bring him back. Bruce has almost as much to do with the Championships runs as Tim. yeah, i said it.
I don't think anyone would argue with you.

manufor3
04-28-2009, 03:47 PM
dont go bruce!

DPG21920
04-28-2009, 03:52 PM
it is one thing to lose it in a scuffle. It is an entirely different thing to kick someone in the face who is standing up...

You can find videos of just about anyone in the NBA getting in a scuffle. I've never seen anyone else jump into the air and kick another player in the face during play... twice

Kobe did it to Mo Williams I believe.

It is not an entirely different thing to punch someone in the balls?

SA210
04-28-2009, 03:55 PM

:tu

And when you lose a player like that im afraid you lose a VITAL piece of the Championship puzzle that I dont think you can ever replace.....

Bruce is the only wing worth a shit that Pop and RC ever brought in.

who the hell do the expect to bring in to replace him?

who the hell is going to make the HEB commercials with TD and Manu?

show me a young bruce bowen on this team and i'd begrudgingly accept the fact that it's time to move on.

Pop and Co have failed to replenish the roster with players who's nuts have dropped.

And fuck holt and co's cheap ass. Sell the team if you aren't going to do what it takes to put the best possible players on the floor.

that is all. :)

:bang:pop::pctoss

SA210
04-28-2009, 03:56 PM
If we keep Finley over Bruce...I don't even know, I would be irate.

:bang

SA210
04-28-2009, 03:56 PM
I got to thinking that IF this is somehow the end of the road for this season, I hope that those who go to the game will stick around to the end and be sure to let these Spurs know just how much they're appreciated by this community. I realize there are many here who would consider that sentiment sappy, but it's extraordinarily disrespectful to not appreciate all that the Spurs have done in this generation.

If it's the end of the road for Bruce, it's the end of a generation in many ways. Tim, Tony, and Manu will stay (most likely), but Bowen has -- as others have said -- always been the rock-solid backbone of these teams. He's the fourth Beatle for this group of Spurs, but he's always been that quiet, steady force that has allowed this team to keep an even keel and stay in games. He's been selfless on the floor and off. He's always been there to step up after a tough loss and talk; he's been there to be the smiling face after so many big wins. His arrival in San Antonio immediately changed the mentality of a franchise that had just had its collective ass kicked by a young and charging Lakers team. And his willingness to just to a thankless job is a huge reason that the Spurs ever got over the hump against those guys.

He's been screwed out of countless Defensive Player of the Year awards (several times getting the most votes from coaches for the All-Defense Team in the same year). He really should have been the MVP of the 2007 Finals, not because he scored 6 ppg or because he led the team in minutes played, but because of the biggest number in that series -- .356 (The King's shooting percentage). Someday, kids will marvel at the statisitical accomplishments of Lebron James and, I think, they'll wonder at the anomalously bad performance in that series; I only wish there was an MVP award for Bruce Bowen to make the reason for it all the more historically memorable.

But it's the understanding of team -- and the willingness to do his job for something more than individual accolades -- that makes Bruce iconic in San Antonio. It's why the fans of this City should embrace him at every opportunity, no matter how many or few of those there might be.

I'll be shouting "Bruuuuuuuucccccceeeeee" tonight whenever he enters the game and I'll stick around to the end to thank the Spurs for surviving another day -- or for taking me on an incredible ride for the last decade (with the hope that it will continue).

This realllly sums up exactly how I feel about Bruce. Great post FWD :tu

dtk
04-28-2009, 04:00 PM
Kobe did it to Mo Williams I believe.

It is not an entirely different thing to punch someone in the balls?

I knew there was more than 12 reasons I didn't like Kobe.

It would be if there was contact...:rolleyes

poop
04-28-2009, 04:05 PM
this thread makes me sad :cry

i never realized this could be Bruce's last game!!! :depressed

Bowen = spurs basketball defined.

SA210
04-28-2009, 04:13 PM
this thread makes me sad :cry

i never realized this could be Bruce's last game!!! :depressed

Bowen = spurs basketball defined.

I never got to meet him. :cry

:(

Brazil
04-28-2009, 04:17 PM
The Spurs will win the last 3 games of this serie, we will have time to discuss about Bruce retirement later.

SA210
04-28-2009, 04:24 PM
The Spurs will win the last 3 games of this serie, we will have time to discuss about Bruce retirement later.

I pray this happens.

:flag:

biziofromdowntown
04-28-2009, 04:26 PM
One more time pleaz.....

BRUUUUUUUCE!

i would say it laud again: BOWNED!

baseline bum
04-28-2009, 04:33 PM
I'm sure most fans here want to see him retire a Spur, but you really have to consider what's good for the team, and I'm sure Buford will make the right call.

Like when he made the right call passing on Josh Howard?
Like when he made the right call signing Rasho and letting Jackson walk?
Like when he made the right call trading Scola for nothing?
Like when he made the right call giving Finley a player option for next year at 2.5X his market value?

I'm going to lean more to Buford making the wrong call again, due to his recent history.

baseline bum
04-28-2009, 04:42 PM

Spurs fans lambasted Beno because he talked shit about the team. GTFO with your stupid garbage.

TimDunkem
04-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Spurs fans lambasted Beno because he talked shit about the team. GTFO with your stupid garbage.

Out of curiosity; Do you know what he said?

Dex
04-28-2009, 04:52 PM
As far as I'm concerned, the Dynasty Spurs as we knew them was Tim, Tony, Manu, and Bruce. Discounting 99 obviously, those four players were the constant key to every championship run. The center and the role players around them changed, but they were the foundation.

If this is truly Bruce's last season with the Spurs, then it would be a great loss, and one that's hard to accept. I would hope he is able to continue to do what makes him happy, even if it is with another team. There is no way I could harbor any ill will towards a guy who was an example of professionalism his entire time here.

I'd rather seem him play his last games in silver and black though. Shipping him out to pasture seems disrespectful if he thinks he can show that he has something left to offer.

Morg1411
04-28-2009, 04:53 PM
Bruce IS Spurs basketball. As goes Bruce, so goes the Spurs.

I will still support this team if Bruce goes, but it'll be a painful parting.

GSH
04-28-2009, 05:56 PM
If the Spurs don't hang Bowen's jersey quickly enough, the fans will hang one on their own. The Spurs won their championships on defense. Pop preached it, and demanded it above all else. Nobody epitomizes that like Bruce Bowen. Tim Duncan is the reason for the consistent success on the floor, but Bowen is the icon for what this team was about.

He's a class act, and I'm glad he's staying in San Antonio when he retires. I'd be surprised if he wasn't still working for the Spurs in some capacity.

SA210
04-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Bruce IS Spurs basketball. As goes Bruce, so goes the Spurs.

I will still support this team if Bruce goes, but it'll be a painful parting.

And I will support Bruce wherever he goes too.
(Better NOT be Lakers :bang)

:bang:pop::pctoss

HarlemHeat37
04-28-2009, 07:25 PM
He's completely shut down Terry in this series, and he's took Barea out..he should be a Spur next season, even if he only plays 10 MPG..we'll see if actually happens though..it was obvious that Pop was forcing him into retirement, but maybe he's changed his mind with Bowen's game lately..

Bowen's impact won't only come on the court, but he can be a mentor to any of our wings next year..whether it's a new FA, Hairston or Gist, Bowen can be a great teacher..there's nobody else like him..

diego
04-28-2009, 09:50 PM
Its been painful to see Bruce pushed to the wayside while others get additional minutes.

This along with the benching of Georgie are the two things that may have fucked us beyond belief this year, the Manu injury notwithstanding.

I will never understand it in my entire lifetime. If anyone 'deserved' better treatment in the twilight of their career its Bruce. I hope Timmy doesnt get the same bullshit from Pop as he continues to age.

that's the thing, like buck says, bowen deserves to start and play big minutes this game, even if he is done (which I dont think is the case). start tony finley bruce duncan and oberto, and screw everyone who says they're old. they earned it. pop is being stubborn on the wrong front!

45 bank shot
04-28-2009, 09:59 PM
I really dun know bout this.
1. Bruce will be 39 next year and how much is there left in him?
2. Are we able to find a great wing defender to replace him? Def not Udoka, at least not Hairston for another 3 years so whoz it gonna be?

HarlemHeat37
04-28-2009, 10:00 PM
nobody can replace Bowen..

we're gonna have to hope for Hairston/Gist, acquiring a FA like Dahntay Jones, or packaging expiring contracts for a realistic option like a Richard Jefferson..IMO at least..

poop
04-28-2009, 10:21 PM
I never got to meet him. :cry

:(

dude he goes to HEB all the fkin time, he always buys a steak usually on game days. hes a good guy, friendly with everyone. i think he goes to the blanco and 1604 one these days.

Manufan909
04-28-2009, 11:35 PM
If Bruce is gone, I hope to god Fin retires. If Bruce stays and Fin leaves, that'll be Christmas for me.

Manufan909
04-28-2009, 11:38 PM
nobody can replace Bowen..

we're gonna have to hope for Hairston/Gist, acquiring a FA like Dahntay Jones, or packaging expiring contracts for a realistic option like a Richard Jefferson..IMO at least..

I'd like Jeff for Fin.:downspin:

Lebowski Brickowski
04-28-2009, 11:42 PM
Hell is frozen tonight, ladies and gentlemen.

Defense was never more important than with 7 minutes left and Pop has pulled Bruce after Bruce causes a turnover (traveling on barera that the refs called 3 secs). Finley is left in the game and watches Howard take him to the rim with ease. Finley is still in the game til the buzzer as Bruce watches from the bench.

3 conclusions:

Pop doesn't care about D anymore

Pop has gone insane

Pop has something personal against Bruce and has all year.

one more conclusion:

Bruce is gone. Why? I don't fucking know. Pop would rather play Finley 35 min than play Bruce 15. Finley will be back next year and probably (book it) still start. Spurs D will suck because Bruce was ALWAYS the cornerstone (not Tim, contrary to popluar belief.)

2010 will be a repeat of this year but probably more confusing as Pop has to try to figure what to do with George Hill, his most athletic player.

Obstructed_View
04-29-2009, 12:00 AM
Yep, Bruce is gone, and probably in insulting fashion, just like Pop finished his season.

Spurminator
04-29-2009, 12:01 AM
Ain't right for Bruce to go out like that. Let's forget this year happened. Come back next year and start.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-29-2009, 12:22 AM
I'll never forgive Pop if this is his last year and he never even really got a chance. Never.

Bruce Bowen is my favorite Spur of all time, not counting Duncan of course.