PDA

View Full Version : Ellis: The Spurs Pathway to Victory

Man Mountain
04-28-2009, 04:38 AM
The Spurs Pathway to Victory
Reported by: Kori Ellis

http://www.woai.com/content/sports/spurs/story/The-Spurs-Pathway-to-Victory/7y7N-6PGtkCc5mNSgrxb3A.cspx

Tonight, the Dallas Mavericks will arrive at the AT&T Center wearing their road blues to try to put an end to the first round series against the San Antonio Spurs. With a 3-1 advantage, the Mavs have all the momentum in the series, even though it's mostly been Dallas' role players who have handled the heavy lifting.

However, the Spurs have been here before. In 2006, San Antonio trailed the Mavericks 3-1 and they were able battle back to force overtime in Game 7. Without Manu Ginobili, a similar bounce back effort is less likely, though not impossible.

After four games between these two Texas teams, the weaknesses of the Spurs have been on display for the world to see. Yes, the team's role players are excruciatingly limited, the defense isn't nearly as stout as it was in past years and the execution during tense moments has been lacking.

On the other hand, a few bright spots have emerged that may be able to illuminate the way to a three straight Spurs victories. It won't be easy but something old, something new and something borrowed could help to defeat something blue.

Bruce Bowen, who turns 38 on June 14th, isn't just old by NBA swingman standards -- he's ancient. And while his minutes in the regular season dipped significantly this year for the first time in his Spurs career, Bowen has found himself back in the starting lineup. In Game 5, he will likely start once again in an attempt to cool J.J. Barea, the diminutive Dallas guard who has risen to the status of X-factor in this matchup.

For the Spurs to come back and win this series, they will need Bowen on the court as much as possible. If he's not harassing Barea, he should be taking on Josh Howard or Jason Terry. With as many weapons as the Mavs have at their disposal, there's always someone for Bowen to defend. And despite his advanced age, he's still far and away the best defensive perimeter player on the Spurs squad.

Not only does Bowen help defensively, he's one of the few shooters on the team who isn't hesitating when it comes his time to hoist the rock. On the series, he's hit 6-of-10 shots from the field, including 4-of-7 from beyond the three-point line.

Playing rookie guard George Hill would give the Mavs something new to worry about. Hill obviously doesn't have the experience or the veteran know-how of his teammates but his skill-set features strengths that can help the Spurs.

First of all, Hill actually has the ability to penetrate off the dribble and get all the way to the rim. Outside of Tony Parker, the Spurs simply do not have anyone else who can do that with any type of regularity. Though the Mavs have been impressive defensively, one of their weaknesses on that end of the court is the ability to protect the rim. Hill can exploit that potential chink in the armor.

Secondly, the rookie out of IUPUI can rebound the ball. In the three losses, the Spurs have been out-rebounded in each contest, while winning the lone game in which they grabbed more boards. For a player who is only 6-foot-2, Hill proved to be a fantastic rebounder during his freshman campaign in the NBA.

Another reason Hill can help is his ability to defend the quick guards the Mavericks put on the court. In Game 4, his defense against Terry was extremely impressive. Hill could also be placed on Barea or Jason Kidd.

Finally, Hill seems to have that unquantifiable characteristic that allows him to be impervious to pressure. During the regular season, he seemingly never appeared rattled –- even when he struggled. Thrown into the fire in Game 4, he calmly connected on a pair of hugely important three-pointers. Going forward, Hill has a chance to assist in tipping the scales in San Antonio's favor.

In 2006, the Mavs changed the complexion of the series by inserting Devin Harris into the starting lineup. Harris' penetration, defense and activity level were invaluable qualities for Dallas. That strategy is something the Spurs can borrow by playing Parker and Hill together for long stretches.

With a Parker and Hill duo, the Spurs suddenly won't appear as sedentary and unathletic. They can also better match the Mavericks' personnel and if they get out and run, that duo could help the Spurs get a few much needed effortless conversions in transition.

The pathway to a happy ending in the first round for the Alamo City begins tonight. It's time to either defeat something blue or spend the rest of the summer months singing the blues.

Man Mountain
04-28-2009, 04:48 AM
Nice article Kori. Hopefully tonight's not the last game of the year. I think they can fight back. I don't know if they'll win the series but at least put up a fight

SA210
04-28-2009, 05:21 AM
Wow Kori, beautiful article. Love it, so true about Bruce and Hill. I hope Pop does this. Great job!

SA210
04-28-2009, 05:30 AM
Cool, the link to this is on News4WOAI's front page :tu

milkyway21
04-28-2009, 05:41 AM
I am so sad, but hopeful.

Good luck San Antonio.

DBMethos
04-28-2009, 05:49 AM
Even if we end up losing this series, I want to us to go down with our best players playing. That means more Bowen and Hill, less Udoka and Bonner. Is that too much to ask?

wuss cones
04-28-2009, 06:27 AM
Great article I didn't know you wrote for WOAI.com.. that's big time:bking

samikeyp
04-28-2009, 06:29 AM
Great read. :tu

CubanMustGo
04-28-2009, 06:34 AM
Nice article, Kori. :tu

Maybe that clown who keeps mouthing off about you not doing anything for woai.com will shut up, now.

slayermin
04-28-2009, 02:31 PM
If anyone deserves to go out a champion, it's Bruce. I hope to hell we see an inspired Spurs tonight. He deserves better than this.

Bukefal
04-28-2009, 02:39 PM
Nice article ! :toast

DPG21920
04-28-2009, 02:43 PM
Why not start Duncan/Bonner/Bowen/Hill/Parker and have Hill on Barea and Bruce on Howard?

SenorSpur
04-28-2009, 02:46 PM
Beautifully written article, Kori.

I'll say again, what I said at the start of the series. At some point, Pop will be forced to utilize Hill, whether he wants to or not. Turns out he waited until Game #4.

This is not to trump Hill as some sort of a game-changer, but it pisses me off thinking what this kid might have contributed in this series. His absolute lockdown defense on Terry would've likely given the Spurs better defensively flexibility needed to not rotate so far off Howard. i wish Pop had not been so stubborn as to bench him for the final 1/3 of the season.

We all know the playoffs are a different breed of game from the regular season, yet it's always amazed me how lineups and styles can change come playoff time. All season long, the Spurs were a cohesive unit. They moved the ball around the horn, took good shots and made them at a high clip. Now, the playoffs have begun and they've been reduced to basically a 1 & 1/2 man crew, as their shooters have sucked royally.

Bigzax
04-28-2009, 02:56 PM
"First of all, Hill actually has the ability to penetrate off the dribble and get all the way to the rim."

Good stuff K.

Why pop didn't think this was an important part of this series from day one is beyond me. we all saw Hill get to the FT line with regularity early on...and he would seem the obvious choice to give TP a breather while not sacrificing the attack the rim style of play...

thanks for finally waking up Pop.

silverblackfan
04-28-2009, 03:15 PM
Why not start Duncan/Bonner/Bowen/Hill/Parker and have Hill on Barea and Bruce on Howard?
:toast
I would hate to have the bench not have a backup point guard with this starting 5, but hey, Mason or even Vaughn could run that. Keep Hill on Barea or Terry and allow Bruce to do his magic on Howard. Maybe the return of stifling D can get the Mavs out of their comfort zone.

polandprzem
04-28-2009, 03:22 PM
nice

jack0fspeed
04-28-2009, 03:36 PM
Kori,

You need to elaborate on this suggestion. You've told us you want more minutes for Hill and Bowen (and by the way BB got 31 in G4). But you haven't told us who you want to subtract from.

You are pretty much down to Bonner and Finley if you want Hill to play with the starters. Bonner only got 22 so you would be taking him completely off the floor, changing your philosophy on guarding Dirk, and you'd be losing a lot of shooting.

If you take Finley off the floor, you are losing a lot of shooting and matching Hill against Josh Howard, which isn't likely to be a good matchup for him.

If you are talking about giving Hill Udoka's or Mason's minutes you are talking about re-arranging the backups ... so is that going to be a difference making move?

Spursmania
04-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Nice job Kori:tu

Please Pop more Bowen and give Hill a chance. It's not like we can do any worse.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Nice article. Let's hope Pop reads your work! :tu

timvp
04-28-2009, 09:45 PM
In 2006, the Mavs changed the complexion of the series by inserting Devin Harris into the starting lineup. Harris' penetration, defense and activity level were invaluable qualities for Dallas. That strategy is something the Spurs can borrow by playing Parker and Hill together for long stretches.

With a Parker and Hill duo, the Spurs suddenly won't appear as sedentary and unathletic. A-freakin'-men.

DAF86
04-28-2009, 09:48 PM
Hey Kori Could you read this to Pop during halftime?