PDA

View Full Version : Get Game 5 - Spurs vs. Mavs - FTM

timvp
04-28-2009, 06:17 AM
Heading into Game 5, there are no longer any secrets for either the Spurs or the Mavericks. The battle lines have been drawn. The important indicators for each team have been located. It now comes down to a competition of execution, energy and heart.

For the Spurs to get back into this series, they need to successfully do the things that have been obvious since the start of the series:

1) Establish Duncan
Tim Duncan has yet to force the Mavs to double-team him. He played better in Game 4 but he's still not dominating to the point that Dallas is forced to send help. If Duncan can elevate his game to that level, everything else offensively will get much easier.

2) Let Parker Shine
The Spurs simply don't have enough options at this point to survive without an aggressive Parker. The Spurs need their point guard to keep pouring in at least 30 points a night for the team to have a fighting chance. After the frustrating Game 4 loss, Parker needs to bounce back and be ready with his hardhat once again.

3) Get Production from Role Players
The Mavs have the better role players - that's obvious. But the Spurs need at least a couple of their role players to step up to the challenge. If Duncan and Parker can play like they did in Game 4, it'd only take one or two role players playing up to the capabilities to get a win.

4) Keep the Mavs out of the Lane
When San Antonio's defense is at its best, they are able to turn the Mavs into a jumpshooting team. But whenever the Mavs get into the paint, the Spurs simply can't hang. Not only do the Mavs get shots near the basket, they also are able to rebound on the offensive glass against a scrambling defense.

5) Rebound
In this series, whichever team grabs more boards has a massive advantage. When the Mavs are corralling rebounds by the dozens, that means the Spurs are missing shots and not taking care of the defensive glass. When the Spurs are running smoothly, they should be able to handily out-rebound the Mavs - as was seen in Game 2.

Here's what the Spurs need from each player:

Tim Duncan
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3173.jpg

As mentioned above, Tim Duncan has to command a double-team if the Spurs want a significant chance to win this series. Take Duncan's typical superstar presence out of this team's offensive attack and it'd take a Jordian effort from Parker to claim three straight victories. On the other end, Duncan has to do a much better job on the defensive glass than he did in Game 4. The Spurs can't afford for him to lose battles to Erick Dampier and Ryan Hollins.
-------------------------------

Tony Parker
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3527.jpg

Tony Parker just needs to stay confident and determined. He can't take his foot off the gas or start deferring too much. Parker in attack mode creating for himself and others is the only way the Spurs can score enough points to win. Each game, he'll need to be generate at least 45 points of offense and hope the others can pick up the slack. In Game 5, he needs to get right back to what he was doing in Game 4.

Bruce Bowen
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3167.jpg

Back in the starting lineup, Bruce Bowen's primary job to start the contest will be to keep J.J. Barea from getting into the paint. With Barea, you want to force him to shoot contested jumpers. Once he gets momentum heading to the rim, he's a threat to finish or dish to an open player. Additionally, even if Barea misses a layup, that has usually resulted in an offensive rebound due to the bigmen going for the blocked shot. Bowen could be asked to switch onto anyone from Dirk Nowitzki to Jason Terry depending on who's hot.

Michael Finley
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3023.jpg

After furthering his Mavericks legacy in the last two games in Dallas, Michael Finley really needs to help out the hometeam on Tuesday. At the very least, he needs to knock down a few three-pointers and stop Josh Howard from playing like LeBron James. As the most experienced offensive role player on the team, Finley should be the first in line to step up. We'll see if he's up for the challenge.

Matt Bonner
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3748.jpg

Let's start off with the good news. Defensively, Matt Bonner has been solid. He's getting a lot of assistance but he's doing a good job of making Nowitzki work. On the other end, it's been a disaster for Bonner. He's passing up shots and bricking the ones he actually releases. A hot shooting game would be great to see, however that seems highly unlikely at this point.

Roger Mason, Jr.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3628.jpg

The Spurs needed Roger Mason, Jr. to be the team's third dependable option on the offensive end during these playoffs. In Game 4, Mason responded with a goose egg in the scoring column. If he's coming off the bench as the backup point guard again, he can't play as horribly as he did in Dallas. No matter what position he's playing, Mason needs to fire early and fire often. Given his lack of playmaking skills, I'd be fine with Mason coming down the court and shooting it every time. At least the offense wouldn't stagnate to the point of embarrassment.

Kurt Thomas
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3012.jpg

Kurt Thomas continues to be the first bigman off the bench but he's hardly done anything to earn minutes. He needs to rebound better, help out a little bit on the offense end and overall just play like a more experienced player. He's fouling and finding himself of position too much. A breakout performance would be very much appreciated.

Drew Gooden
http://spurstalk.com/drew-gooden-spurs.jpg

In the two games in Dallas, Drew Gooden played very bad basketball. He got repeatedly outplayed by Brandon Bass when the two players were matched up. Gooden wasn't just making mental mistakes, he wasn't doing anything physically of note, either. Back in front of the home crowd, hopefully we'll see more of that play that we saw out of him in the first two games. The Spurs could really use Gooden creating shots for himself, especially when the bench unit is on the court.

Ime Udoka
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3501.jpg

Ime Udoka has had some decent moments. He defended Nowitzki pretty well and his rebounding has been solid. The problem is his 4-for-16 shooting on the offensive end, which includes 0-for-6 shooting from three-point territory. Udoka shoots too often for him to be able to make up poor shooting on the defensive end.

George Hill
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/4488.jpg

In the fourth quarter of Game 4, George Hill illustrated what he's capable of doing. He helps the Spurs become a more flexible team on both ends of the court. Hill might have earned more playing time, however it wouldn't surprise me if he gets a DNP-CD in Game 5. Pop seems extremely reluctant to put Hill on the court.

Fabricio Oberto
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3988.jpg

Fabricio Oberto probably won't be a part of the rotation but there's a chance due to the second unit's struggles. He's a good passer who could help keep the team afloat until Parker or Duncan is ready to regain control of the reins.

Gregg Popovich
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sports/popovich_gregg030428.jpg

Hopefully Pop adjusts to what has worked so far in this series. Less Finley, Udoka, Thomas and Bonner to go with more Bowen, Mason, Gooden and Hill makes a lot of sense. Pop also needs to make sure he keeps enough rebounders on the court at all times.

Offense

Parker has to remain the top option. Duncan needs to be aggressive when he gets his touches. A handful of scores on the low block and then the Mavs would have to start sending double-teams, which could then open the floodgates. Beyond those two players, hopefully someone like Mason, Finley or Gooden decides to show up this game.

Defense

As much as Nowitzki and Terry have been held in check, you have to think that they are due for a breakout game. With that in mind, it's even more important to get a handle on the other players. At the beginning of each half, Howard has to be keyed on. Barea and Bass also can't go off. And perhaps most importantly, the Spurs have to keep the Mavs off the offensive glass.

Drive to Five

It's now or never. I'm not ready for Cancun. Hopefully I'm not the only one and the Spurs will send this thing back to Dallas.

Believe.

SA210
04-28-2009, 06:54 AM
This is exactly how it should go down, however I have no faith that Pop will do the right thing. But I'm with my team to the death.

:flag:

polandprzem
04-28-2009, 08:29 AM
You know what?

I don't know if we can force the Mavs to double Tim . Not that late in the series.
It was always the best stategy for other teams not to double team Tim and let him battle one on one vs diferent defenders. Also a late double with closing passing lanes was working for other teams.
Duncan is not 100% and I don't think Carlisle will let spurs have a shooting lights night.

Before the series started I wanted Tim to force the Mavs to double him, but now I relly think it's close to impossible.
With no slashers and defenders near the shooters we are screwed. More then that we need to take care of the ball and have a rebounding adventage.

:pctoss

Go spurs go

get this shit because I don't want to waste my sleep time on a loss.

EVAY
04-28-2009, 12:22 PM
My prediction is that if the Spurs are either ahead or behind by 10 or more in the second quarter that Pop will bench the starters (whoever they are) to save them for the next game...in November.

Spork KIller
04-28-2009, 12:34 PM
It is over, Dorky dork, your analysis is trash!

Spork KIller
04-28-2009, 12:35 PM
My prediction is that if the Spurs are either ahead or behind by 10 or more in the second quarter that Pop will bench the starters (whoever they are) to save them for the next game...in November.

:lol:lol :lmao :lmao

Very True, talking about quitters!

Dex
04-28-2009, 12:36 PM
:tu

I don't think the Xs and Os have been the problem in this series; execution has. Both of these teams have shown that they can hang with each other.

Now it's time for the Spurs to get out there and show some of that championship-caliber heart, grit, and determination that hung four banners.

FTM. Let's add another chapter to the Legacy of Choke.

phxspurfan
04-28-2009, 12:37 PM
3 and 4, role players and refs, are out of our control (and next to impossible given recent history), so, I'd say we have to focus on rebounding and establishing Timmay. Parker will do what he does.

FromWayDowntown
04-28-2009, 12:49 PM

crc21209
04-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Hell yeah timvp! Believe. 1 at a time.

byrdman31
04-28-2009, 01:03 PM
3) Get Production from Role Players

i think this is the most important piece for us, we get the productions from our other players besides tim and tony and its a W

EricB
04-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Rebound the ball. Drive to the hole instead of settling for outside shots.

I just don't understand why its not done, cause its not that hard to do, effort and give a shit and playing with a purpose.

Spursmania
04-28-2009, 01:31 PM
3) get production from role players

i think this is the most important piece for us, we get the productions from our other players besides tim and tony and its a w

+1000

G-Nob
04-28-2009, 01:34 PM
Pop knows he screwed up with Hill. I foresee big mins from the little man tonight. I think Pop knows he can send Hill out to pester Terry and that would leave another body to help concentrate on Howard.

Bigzax
04-28-2009, 01:38 PM
tony needs to keep it on cruise and get the role players involved early.

if they are not hitting shots, it won't matter anyway.

but if the 'role players' can contribute here and there throughout the game, maybe tp will have something in the tank come 4th...when it matters...and he can play balls out then. wouldn't mind tp at full throttle to start the 3rd either to avoid a lapse.

Libri
04-28-2009, 01:38 PM
Roger Mason, Jr.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3628.jpg

The Spurs needed Roger Mason, Jr. to be the team's third dependable option on the offensive end during these playoffs. In Game 4, Mason responded with a goose egg in the scoring column. If he's coming off the bench as the backup point guard again, he can't play as horribly as he did in Dallas. No matter what position he's playing, Mason needs to fire early and fire often. Given his lack of playmaking skills, I'd be fine with Mason coming down the court and shooting it every time. At least the offense wouldn't stagnate to the point of embarrassment.

Obstructed_View
04-28-2009, 01:50 PM
I agree with the points, but I'd put them in the exact opposite order as far as importance, with one caveat: If Duncan can force a double-team, something he hasn't been able to do all year, then everything changes for both teams. Duncan has seemed perfectly content to stand around waiting for a double team that never comes.

41times
04-28-2009, 02:11 PM
If you believe that TV controls what happens in most of these games/series then you should bet heavily on the Spurs tonight.

We already have 2 series done: Cle/Det and Lakers/Jizz and Denver is headed home to close out the Hornets in a few days. TNT can not have another series end today or they won't be able to squeeze in those "40 games in 40 Nights"

The Spurs typically do not produce big ratings but they need another game to show Friday night with LeBron and Kobe already done.

Brutalis
04-28-2009, 02:42 PM
One game at a time. Spurs could do this. Could.

All it is for me personally in my mind is just stepping up. Players are not doing that. Perhaps cause of the injury plagued season and there not being much unity in playing together because no rhythm was ever established- I don't know. But the talent even without Manu is here to beat this team handily.

Pop started us out on the wrong foot in game one, and role players have not come through.

I believe we will win tonight. I understand if we lose that it's not a huge deal given our circumstances this season and the fact that the injury bug caught us. It catches everyone at some point and it's cool. I'm not a fair weathered fan that can be squashed over something stupid to be mad and upset about. We have accomplished a lot and it's not over despite the retarded articles about us folding for good or some shit. Just because we had a player go down and our big three was hurt this year and we might exit in the first round for the first time since the injured Duncan team of 00 does not mean shit. How many of these other teams have been through worse?

I'm chill and ready for this game. My heart says we aren't going out at home like this.

SA210
04-28-2009, 02:51 PM

:lol so true

:depressed

Dex
04-28-2009, 02:51 PM
One game at a time. Spurs could do this. Could.

All it is for me personally in my mind is just stepping up. Players are not doing that. Perhaps cause of the injury plagued season and there not being much unity in playing together because no rhythm was ever established- I don't know. But the talent even without Manu is here to beat this team handily.

Pop started us out on the wrong foot in game one, and role players have not come through.

I believe we will win tonight. I understand if we lose that it's not a huge deal given our circumstances this season and the fact that the injury bug caught us. It catches everyone at some point and it's cool. I'm not a fair weathered fan that can be squashed over something stupid to be mad and upset about. We have accomplished a lot and it's not over despite the retarded articles about us folding for good or some shit. Just because we had a player go down and our big three was hurt this year and we might exit in the first round for the first time since the injured Duncan team of 00 does not mean shit. How many of these other teams have been through worse?

I'm chill and ready for this game. My heart says we aren't going out at home like this.

:tu

Compared to any other franchise in the league (maybe even in sports), Spurs fans have had the least to complain about over the last decade.

Believe.

Summers
04-28-2009, 02:57 PM
FTM

I've just been waiting all day to get online so I could say that.

Spurs Brazil
04-28-2009, 03:04 PM
http://www.hollywoodcollectibles.com/autographed/memorabilia/sports/collectibles/authentic/Basketball/Parker/Tony_Parker_Trophy_8x10_mid.jpg

FTM

ScoobyDoo
04-28-2009, 03:09 PM
ruk da ravs!

ruckem!

rayray2k8
04-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Fuck it, I'm up for 1 more game.
Now's not the time to criticize, but the team to support each other and
have the fans.. Come together..
No pun intended. :lol

Say it spurs fans!