PDA

View Full Version : Soccer Stadium Deal stalling Spurs Sports & Entertainment?

SoapScumKills
04-28-2009, 01:21 PM
Hello... I am a member of the Crocketteers, San Antonio's Premier Soccer Supporters Group, and want to link you to a blog post concerning professional soccer in San Antonio, with Spurs Sports & Entertainment being the ownership group.

http://www.crocketteers.com/2009/04/28/soccer-stadium-deal-stalling-spurs-sports-entertainment/

Once again, Tom Osborn of the San Antonio Express-News is the source for the latest information concerning USL and Spurs Sports & Entertainment. This time though, we hear from the chairman, CEO, and owner himself, Peter Holt.

Turning to SS&E’s interest in soccer, Holt said talks with the United Soccer Leagues are stalled because there’s no public money to build a multi-use stadium.
“We think soccer can work in San Antonio, it’s just a question of when. And right now is not when,” Holt said. “The county or the city doesn’t have the money. Maybe something could eventually be worked out with a school district. But right now, with this economic situation, there isn’t going to be any public money for anything anywhere.”
The USL is considered a step below Major League Soccer, which failed in its bid to expand into San Antonio in 2005, partly because then-mayor Ed Garza lacked political support to give MLS a deal that included rent-free use of the Alamodome.
Holt said Garza approached SS&E about playing an ownership role in an MLS franchise, but Holt said SS&E “couldn’t make the numbers work” at the dome.
“But we think the USL, at least with the numbers we’ve run, could work here in a smaller stadium,” Holt said.
Holt upbeat about Spurs’ bottom line

I know the first thing that sticks out is “talks with the United Soccer Leagues are stalled because there is no public money to build a multi-use stadium.” I still find it very hard to believe that the USL would stop talks with SS&E if a stadium deal is not put in place. Find me proof in the USL, that a new multi-use stadium is required to land a franchise....

We have many relevant stories/posts concerning soccer in San Antonio, including Spurs Sports & Entertainment related stories.

Bukefal
04-28-2009, 07:27 PM
How big is football in San antonio? mainly among the latino people, or??

SoapScumKills
05-13-2009, 02:51 PM
How big is football in San antonio? mainly among the latino people, or??

sorry for the late reply.

I don't know the answer to how big is football in SA. I wouldnt have known the answer while living in Houston for most of this decade either. But pro soccer is working in Houston and just got started in Austin (google Austin Aztex).

Philadelphia started a supporters group 2 1/2 years ago with 6 ppl with only rumors of MLS coming to Philly and today they 4,000 members. They will have to wait 1 year before the see their team the Philadelphia Union play in their new 18,500 soccer specific stadium on the waterfront. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuX1DDCugPE&feature=player_embedded

With rumors the Spurs are looking at owning a soccer franchise, the SA story can be similar to Philly's.