PDA

View Full Version : New School closings

2Blonde
04-28-2009, 08:09 PM
We just received an Auto-Call from Comal ISD telling us that All Comal ISD schools & all New Braunfels ISD schools are closed until at least Monday. They said there are 3 highly probable cases and many more pending cases that they expect to be positive. I'm not sure if they meant Monday the 4th or the 11th. I could swear I heard both in the message but it's not up yet on the website.

2Blonde
04-28-2009, 08:12 PM
They just updated the website & they ARE out until May 11th.

It is the recommendation of the Comal County Health Department that Comal ISD close all of its schools beginning Wednesday, April 29th until Monday, May 11. Please look under “News and Events” on the Comal ISD website home page for more details.

Dex
04-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Damn, the entire district is out for 2 weeks? I can't recall anything like that when I was in school, and that wasn't even THAT long ago. (90s)

They're really not messing around with this thing.

Udokafan05
04-28-2009, 08:28 PM
I wonder if a case of it shows up at Texas State, and they close through finals, do we still have to take them?

ploto
04-28-2009, 08:33 PM
I would be willing to bet there have been cases of this flu all over but people were not tested.

2Blonde
04-28-2009, 09:59 PM
i would be willing to bet there have been cases of this flu all over but people were not tested.
+1

CuckingFunt
04-28-2009, 10:03 PM
I would be willing to bet there have been cases of this flu all over but people were not tested.

I wasn't joking in the other thread when i said that swine flu, as described on the news, sounds a LOT like what I had mid-March. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's been here for a while.

BlackSwordsMan
04-28-2009, 10:15 PM
ewwwww

ploto
04-29-2009, 12:20 AM
I wasn't joking in the other thread when i said that swine flu, as described on the news, sounds a LOT like what I had mid-March. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's been here for a while.

I know someone who was really, really sick for about a week at Easter and it sounds just like it, too.

mrsmaalox
04-29-2009, 08:23 AM
I know someone who was really, really sick for about a week at Easter and it sounds just like it, too.

But the symptoms are pretty much indistinguishable from "regular" flu without a lab test. Although I did hear some "expert" on tv yesterday say that if someone is diagnosed (per the lab test) with the swine flu, and anyone else around them is sick, that other person also has the swine flu, no lab test necessary!! :bang

JudynTX
04-29-2009, 08:30 AM
They just updated the website & they ARE out until May 11th.

:wow Are your kids treating it like a vacation? :lol

FaithInOne
04-29-2009, 08:37 AM
I didn't get shit for off days during my school career :(

SpursWoman
04-29-2009, 09:06 AM
:wow Are your kids treating it like a vacation? :lol

I know my nephew was all happy until he was reminded that the required number of days that they have to be in school aren't just going to go away, that more than likely they will be spending time in June making it up (as well as the TAKS they will be missing) while all of the other districts (so far) will be out for summer.

That kind of took a little of the wind out of his sails. :spin

TwAnKiEs
04-29-2009, 09:26 AM
I wonder if a case of it shows up at Texas State, and they close through finals, do we still have to take them?

I know some one that goes there and she was talking about a possible shutdown, I do not think there's an option NOT to take finals. Hope for take home tests :lol

Summers
04-29-2009, 09:38 AM
I know some one that goes there and she was talking about a possible shutdown, I do not think there's an option NOT to take finals. Hope for take home tests :lol

As of this morning, the TSU website and SM ISD website said there haven't been any confirmed cases here yet. When I read about New Braunfels closing last night, I was worried I'd have to take my kids to my 8:00 class this morning. I'm sure it's just a matter of days if this thing spreads as easily as they're saying it does, which leads me to seriously wonder what happens to our finals.

JudynTX
04-29-2009, 12:25 PM
I know my nephew was all happy until he was reminded that the required number of days that they have to be in school aren't just going to go away, that more than likely they will be spending time in June making it up (as well as the TAKS they will be missing) while all of the other districts (so far) will be out for summer.

Maybe this is a sign that they need to change that school district to all year around school. :tu

I'm sure your nephew will be thrilled about that. :lol

to21
04-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Someone with a kid from NISD needs to call a school and get that whole district shut down.

I gotz some fishn' to do.

Edit: That was in poor taste, I hope no one catches this shit.

SpursWoman
04-29-2009, 12:48 PM
The State of Texas UIL board has postponed all UIL competitions until 5/11 as well ... all sporting meets (track, golf, tennis, baseball, softball, basketball, etc.,), academic meets and band meets/competitions.

Dr. Gonzo
04-29-2009, 12:51 PM
I hope UTSA is next. I heard a girl speaking spanish earlier and she coughed. Maybe I should report it so I can get some days off.

SpursWoman
04-29-2009, 12:53 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/043009dnspouillede.191610a.html

UIL competition on hold because of swine flu

12:44 PM CDT on Wednesday, April 29, 2009

By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected] ([email protected])

The University Interscholastic League has suspended all athletic activity throughout Texas until May 11 because of the swine flu outbreak.
"The health and safety of our student activity participants is of the utmost importance," UIL executive director Charles Breithaupt said in a statement.
The agency also suspended non-athletic events, including the Academic State Meet and the Texas State Wind Ensemble festival.
Also Online
Link: See the full UIL statement (http://www.uil.utexas.edu/db/press_release_detail.lasso?-Search=Action&-Table=table&-Database=press_releases&-KeyValue=312)

"Taking every possible precaution to prevent the further spreading of this disease is an important contribution to the welfare of our great state, and altering the schedule of our events is a way to keep our participants safe."
The decision was based on the recommendation of the Texas Department of Health Services and in consultation with the Texas Education Agency, the UIL said.
The suspension does throw a major curve into the upcoming athletic schedules, including regional track meets and the upcoming softball and baseball playoff schedules to name a few.

Regional track meets
All meets scheduled for Friday and Saturday have been cancelled. The state track and field meet will be extended to a three-day format to include semifinal heats. The meet is scheduled for May 14-16 in Austin.
According to the UIL, semifinal qualifiers will be based on the district track meet results. Each region will be represented by the top four performances in each event.
A revised schedule will be posted on the UIL web site by May 1. Qualifiers will be posted on the web site by May 6.

Golf and tennis
Both state championship events will take place as previously scheduled on May 11.

Softball and baseball
The softball and baseball playoff schedules have been shuffled around. According to the new schedule, the softball and baseball playoffs will start in mid-May.

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-29-2009, 12:55 PM
You know, smart Bobcats would find somebody to go take one for the team and go let Steele HS students cough on them.

spurs_2108
04-29-2009, 12:56 PM
Yeah I posted a topic about the Texas UIL. That would suck for regionals to be cancled, but everyone is going to state now.

Summers
04-29-2009, 04:07 PM
You know, smart Bobcats would find somebody to go take one for the team and go let Steele HS students cough on them.

And do it tonight please!! :lol

spurs_2108
04-29-2009, 04:23 PM
Wonder how long it will be before other high schools and district close. Are they waiting for the TAKS to be over this week then cancel. What about colleges? Most have finals next week and the week after that.

Shelly
04-29-2009, 04:36 PM
Someone with a kid from NISD needs to call a school and get that whole district shut down.

I gotz some fishn' to do.

Edit: That was in poor taste, I hope no one catches this shit.

No, they don't!

Wonder how long it will be before other high schools and district close. Are they waiting for the TAKS to be over this week then cancel. What about colleges? Most have finals next week and the week after that.

I checked NISD's website (http://www.nisd.net/news/articles/607) and there are no reports of the pig virus.

Udokafan05
04-29-2009, 09:42 PM

Although finals will be horrible next week, i am not willing to risk it.

2Blonde
04-29-2009, 09:48 PM

Actually, we have been told that the state might forgive the days the schools are closed. Running it for that many extra days into June isn't a viable option. Too many children have paid to go to camp or are enrolled in summer programs. Also the school budgets are set up to have full classes in the summer (higher electric bills, etc.) My daughter is scheduled to leave for Germany on June 4th w/ the German club for her exchange student program. As far as TAKS, they are going to figure that out when they know when we get to go back.

Oh, yes my daughter is convinced it's a vacation. Especially since HEB gave all the student workers the week off (PAID!!!). :bang All of them got together today and had a party at the river.:nope

Udokafan05
04-29-2009, 10:12 PM
I went to HEB the other day, the nearest one to Steele High School on 3009, and while checking out i wondered how many of the teenagers working there were from the school on break, which was a uncomfortable feeling.

ploto
04-29-2009, 10:13 PM
With the school budgets running thin as it is, I have no clue what they are going to do. I am sorry for your daughter if they limit travel of school groups, like happened to my relative. I also wonder about the kids really getting their subjects learned that build upon one another, especially in math courses where material really does need to be covered to be prepared for next year.

CubanMustGo
04-29-2009, 10:17 PM
The Texas Education commissioner is quoted as saying the districts won't be penalized financially or have to make up days for swine-flu related closures.

SpursWoman
04-29-2009, 10:20 PM
Actually, we have been told that the state might forgive the days the schools are closed. Running it for that many extra days into June isn't a viable option. Too many children have paid to go to camp or are enrolled in summer programs. Also the school budgets are set up to have full classes in the summer (higher electric bills, etc.) My daughter is scheduled to leave for Germany on June 4th w/ the German club for her exchange student program. As far as TAKS, they are going to figure that out when they know when we get toy go back.

Oh, yes my daughter is convinced it's a vacation. Especially since HEB gave all the student workers the week off (PAID!!!). :bang All of them got together today andhady a party at the river.:nope

That'll be a relief for my SIL then, if they are forgiven the days ... she has to be out of town the first week of June for work and already made arrangements for the kids to be elsewhere.

In that case, lucky little bastards. :depressed :lol

Das Texan
04-29-2009, 11:35 PM
Where was this kinda shit when I was in school? I wanted free days off....

Of course the damn nuns woulda probably made us stay and say extra rosaries or something...

baseline bum
04-29-2009, 11:56 PM
Where was this kinda shit when I was in school? I wanted free days off....

Of course the damn nuns woulda probably made us stay and say extra rosaries or something...

My HS got a like a week off when someone put mace into the ventilation system. Took them a few days to figure out nothing was wrong with the system. :lol

King
04-30-2009, 08:35 AM

I mentioned it to my wife, who is a teacher at an elementary school in NEISD, and she said that they would only have to make up one day. June 5th is the latest they can make people work, and classes end on June 4th.

They'd probably be forced to go on Memorial Day, but they can't make them go that deep into the summer.

Supposedly there was a case at Hardy Oak in NEISD, so don't be surprised if the other districts follow suit.

Viva Las Espuelas
04-30-2009, 08:39 AM
this is a bit up north, but they shut down Fort Worth ISD. 80,000 kids until May 8th. lots of wrong doing can happen during those 8 days.

Das Texan
04-30-2009, 09:26 AM
this is a bit up north, but they shut down Fort Worth ISD. 80,000 kids until May 8th. lots of wrong doing can happen during those 8 days.

I wonder if any new babies will be made in the next 8 days.....

TwAnKiEs
04-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Seguin, Navarro, and marion schools are closed tomorrow til the 11th.

Nbadan
04-30-2009, 09:37 PM
its just a matter of time before this reaches San Antonio school districts, so if you have kids in school during the day you better be making plans for them to be home for the rest of the summer in a couple of weeks or less....

balli
04-30-2009, 09:42 PM
Damn... found out earlier tonight they closed my old high school in SLC. Given that it was pretentious and Catholic and in Salt Lake the alumni are a pretty tight group (even 7 years after graduating). I got a lot of friends/acquaintances with siblings or cousins attending and the school's only about a half mile from my parent's house. This shit just got a bit more personal and scary. :depressed

TMTTRIO
04-30-2009, 11:03 PM
Well I already had a couple of kids wearing masks to school where I work in NEISD.

mrsmaalox
04-30-2009, 11:30 PM
Well I already had a couple of kids wearing masks to school where I work in NEISD.

That must have been distracting.

SpursWoman
05-01-2009, 06:00 AM

My kids told me last night there are more than just a couple of kids wearing them at their school (JISD). OMFG. :rolleyes

Summers
05-01-2009, 06:52 AM
My kids told me last night there are more than just a couple of kids wearing them at their school (JISD). OMFG. :rolleyes

Granted, most of those are probably paranoid, overreacting parents, but some of them might be kids who have other issues and the flu would make them even sicker. That didn't make sense, but you know what I mean. :lol

ORION
05-01-2009, 07:49 AM
We just received an Auto-Call from Comal ISD telling us that All Comal ISD schools & all New Braunfels ISD schools are closed until at least Monday. They said there are 3 highly probable cases and many more pending cases that they expect to be positive. I'm not sure if they meant Monday the 4th or the 11th. I could swear I heard both in the message but it's not up yet on the website.

You live where I live.

Das Texan
05-01-2009, 08:24 AM
Granted, most of those are probably paranoid, overreacting parents, but some of them might be kids who have other issues and the flu would make them even sicker. That didn't make sense, but you know what I mean. :lol

This makes sense only if the kid wears said mask from basically November through April anyway....

Summers
05-01-2009, 08:31 AM
This makes sense only if the kid wears said mask from basically November through April anyway....

I was thinking of my kid, who I mentioned earlier as having asthma. He takes a daily medication to keep from wheezing, but anytime he gets any kind of cold, it's full-on laying in bed struggling to breath for 3 days hooked up to his nebulizer half the day, and we've been to the ER several times. We get a flu shot every year and I don't think he's ever had the flu, but the flu is much more serious than a cold, so, sure, I'm a little freaked out about how sick my little boy's going to be if he gets this. Still, I'm not sending him to school in a mask. :)

ploto
05-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Masks are for the people WITH the flu.

CuckingFunt
05-01-2009, 12:04 PM
I was thinking of my kid, who I mentioned earlier as having asthma. He takes a daily medication to keep from wheezing, but anytime he gets any kind of cold, it's full-on laying in bed struggling to breath for 3 days hooked up to his nebulizer half the day, and we've been to the ER several times. We get a flu shot every year and I don't think he's ever had the flu, but the flu is much more serious than a cold, so, sure, I'm a little freaked out about how sick my little boy's going to be if he gets this. Still, I'm not sending him to school in a mask. :)

As a lifelong asthmatic, I would be surprised if a flu was much worse for your son's breathing than a cold is. I've found that the respiratory issues with both are usually about the same, but it's the other symptoms that vary in severity.

I know the feeling, though. I haven't needed a nebulizer or ER trip (thank goodness, since I'm uninsured) for years, but every time I get a cold/flu/allergy flare up, it usually starts a several week cycle of breathing fun -- the cough makes the asthma worse, the asthma makes the cough worse, and 'round and 'round we go.

J.T.
05-01-2009, 04:36 PM

Make one of the frats send a pledge.

Shit actually they've probably all been initiated by now.

Summers
05-01-2009, 05:39 PM
As a lifelong asthmatic, I would be surprised if a flu was much worse for your son's breathing than a cold is. I've found that the respiratory issues with both are usually about the same, but it's the other symptoms that vary in severity.

I know the feeling, though. I haven't needed a nebulizer or ER trip (thank goodness, since I'm uninsured) for years, but every time I get a cold/flu/allergy flare up, it usually starts a several week cycle of breathing fun -- the cough makes the asthma worse, the asthma makes the cough worse, and 'round and 'round we go.

:( It's no fun. Glad you're better now. I'm hoping his will get better with age.