PDA

View Full Version : Orsborn: Carlesimo Says Spurs' Run Isn't Done

duncan228
04-29-2009, 12:10 AM
Carlesimo says Spurs' run isn't done (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Carlesimo_says_Spurs_run_isnt_done.html)
Tom Orsborn

P.J. Carlesimo disagrees with fans and media who say the Spurs will be hard pressed to seriously contend for another championship in the Tim Duncan era.

“I don't believe it,” said the former Spurs assistant coach, who worked Tuesday's game as an analyst for TNT. “I've been here, and I talk to people. Anybody that feels that way is incorrect. I don't sense that at all.”

Asked to elaborate, Carlesimo said, “What was the team this year when Manu (Ginobili) played, 32-12 or something like that? There's your answer.”

A lingering ankle injury ended Ginobili's season on April 7. Ginobili, who turns 32 in July, finished his seventh NBA season with averages of 15.5 points and 3.6 assists.

Carlesimo's five-season stint on the Spurs' bench ended after they swept Cleveland in the 2007 NBA Finals for their fourth title in nine years. He's been working for TNT since Oklahoma City fired him as its head coach earlier this season.

The Seattle SuperSonics, who later moved to Oklahoma City, named him head coach on July 5, 2007.

The Spurs greeted Carlesimo warmly when he showed up at the club's shootaround Tuesday morning.

At least one Spurs player greeted him with an expletive, a nod to Carlesimo's frequent use of salty language.

Bruce Bowen took a break from practicing free throws to chat with Carlesimo.

“I can't share the things he said, because some of it would be bleeped out,” Bowen said. “I think the majority of it would.”

Asked before the game what his plans are for next season, Carlesimo said, “I'd like to coach. This has been great, fantastic. But there's no question I'd much rather be coaching, and hopefully I'll get another opportunity down the line.”

If he doesn't, there's always more broadcasting work.

“I love it,” he said of being an analyst. “It's very difficult. It's a lot of work. It's fun, but it's difficult. I've enjoyed it when I get the opportunity, but I still hope I get another opportunity to coach.”

Losing the third: In each of the Spurs' first three playoff losses to the Mavericks, the third quarter was the tipping point. Dallas won those three periods by a combined score of 87-53, and Duncan said going into Game 5 that the first few minutes after halftime would be crucial to the team's success.

“We have to find a way to solve that problem,” Duncan said. “We seem to come out of the half and lose leads or let people back in the game or increase people's lead.”

If the Spurs learned any kind of lesson in the first four games, they didn't show it Tuesday. In Game 5, the Mavericks blew open what had been a four-point game at halftime with a 30-19 edge in the third quarter. They opened the second half with an 11-5 run and closed the third quarter with a 10-2 spurt.

Staff writers Mike Finger and Jeff McDonald contributed to this story.

Chris
04-29-2009, 12:12 AM
Get him back in black please..

crc21209
04-29-2009, 02:20 AM
If nobody hires him as a head coach, PJ will be back here next yr.

Danny.Zhu
04-29-2009, 02:50 AM

Hope so.

peskypesky
04-29-2009, 02:52 AM

We won't win squat without him.

Chief
04-29-2009, 03:36 AM
I miss him on the bench, he just brought a sense of security, like everything will be ok

Thomas82
04-29-2009, 08:13 AM

That's what I have been saying the whole time. P.J. was to Pop what Tex Winter as to Phil Jackson.

MadGymSkillz
04-29-2009, 08:42 AM
It was really nice to have a TNT analyst that didnt bash the Spurs throughout the game.

Twisted_Dawg
04-29-2009, 08:55 AM

That is what he is hoping for and that is why he said that.

EVAY
04-29-2009, 10:26 AM
I hope he comes back here. I think he was great for the spurs...great offensive-minded coach, and man, could we have used that this year.

gmanrulz
04-29-2009, 10:40 AM
run wont be over if they get their head out of their asses and sign some significant people. Everyone called before the year started that their off-season acquisitions wouldnt be enough this year

xtremesteven33
04-29-2009, 11:08 AM
I would like to see Carlesimo back on the Spurs staff....Looks like he has a great connection with the team and knows how to compliment Pop greatly....:tu

spurtech09
04-29-2009, 11:25 AM
Amen......spurs will be back!!