PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Making a difference (about Mrs. Barry)

Kori Ellis
03-23-2005, 01:04 AM
Making a difference: Erin Barry, wife of Spurs guard Brent, works with a local task force designed to prevent child abuse and neglect
Web Posted: 03/23/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA032305.6C.BKNspurs.barry.1640544a8.html

As the wife of an NBA player who has played for five teams in 10 years, Erin Barry long ago learned the nuances of leading a nomadic life. Get the family settled. Learn the city. Make new friends.

Then hope you don't have to repeat the process in 12 weeks.

After Brent signed with the Spurs last summer, Erin intended to take a month or two to help him and their precocious 41/2-year-old son, Quin, transition to their new home before looking for community work for herself.

Her search, as it turned out, ended before it began.

On their first night in San Antonio, the Barrys saw a TV report about a 2-year-old boy who had been severely beaten. Not long after, the newspaper contained a story detailing how three children were found abandoned in a filthy apartment.

A former child caseworker at Chicago's Cook County Juvenile Court, Erin understood the incidents probably weren't isolated. She was stunned to learn workers at Child Protective Services sometimes carried more than 70 cases. The national average, she said, is 15-20.

After attending a local town hall meeting, she joined the executive committee of a blue-ribbon task force designed to help prevent child abuse and neglect in San Antonio. Brent was named the honorary chairman of the group, which state Rep. Carlos Uresti helped form.

"The ultimate purpose of the task force," said Jack Downey, president of The Children's Shelter, "is to make San Antonio a community that puts children and safety of children first."

The Spurs and Ashley Furniture HomeStore are helping the Barrys sponsor a 5K run/walk Saturday morning at the SBC Center to raise money and awareness for the task force.

Registration is $30 and each participant will receive a T-shirt and one ticket to either the Spurs' April 6 game against the Los Angeles Clippers or their April 12 meeting with the Portland Trail Blazers. Entry forms are available online at spurs.com or by calling (210) 444-5664.

"We're not trying to do something that's out of our reach," Brent said. "This is an area where we can make a difference."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Erin began working with abused children about six years ago after she found her job as an advertising executive unfulfilling. Having taken some FBI-type courses while at the University of Oregon, she applied with the bureau when Brent signed with Chicago in 1999. She hoped to specialize in finding missing children.

After the FBI couldn't ensure Erin would remain in Chicago, a local agent suggested she visit the courthouse and receive training to help with child-abuse cases. Before long, Erin had her own full-time caseload with a staff to assist her.

After Brent signed with Seattle, Erin started working at a local treatment and rehabilitation center for children who were abused or born drug-affected. The Barrys also assisted with fund-raising events for other organizations that helped abused children.

In both cities, Erin heard the same question: Why?

"I say how can you not?" she said. "I think about how lucky my little boy is, and it breaks my heart to hear about some of these cases. The whole idea behind helping abused children is to help stop a cycle. More often than not, someone who's abusing their child was also abused as a child."

Erin also considers herself fortunate to have been raised in a good home. Her birth mother, a 17-year-old girl who wasn't equipped or ready to care for an infant daughter, gave her up for adoption to a couple who thought they couldn't have children. On the day the adoption was finalized, Erin's foster mother learned she was pregnant.

Erin's new family eventually grew to include three siblings.

"It was a perfect situation," Erin said. "My mother was smart enough to know to give me up for adoption."

Erin has aggressively used Brent's public profile to aid the task force. Last week, she woke him early on the morning after a game so he could be interviewed on a TV talk show.

"For what I'm doing, trying to draw attention to child abuse, we have to be out there," Erin said. "If they come to the run/walk just to meet Brent, and they've paid their $30 fee and it goes to helping raise awareness of the issue, that's great."

The public has taken notice. Backed by Uresti and state Sen. Leticia Van de Putte, the task force includes about 200 community leaders, Downey said.

The group recently came up with 60 recommendations to improve Child Protective Services. On Monday, Senate budget writers also approved a two-year, $139 billion budget for the state that increases funding for the agency by almost $330million.

Next month, the Barrys hope to meet with Gov. Rick Perry in Austin and speak to the legislature.

"Even if Brent had been traded," Erin said, "I would have felt good that in the five months we were here, we started something."

Rick Von Braun
03-23-2005, 01:06 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

I thought Kori made a sarcastic reference to whottt when I read the title.

Tek_XX
03-23-2005, 01:12 AM
ha i thought you were calling Brents masculinity into question

Kori Ellis
03-23-2005, 01:13 AM
I was going to put "Erin Barry" but I didn't know if people knew that was Brent's wife's name or not.

timvp
03-23-2005, 01:19 AM
Nothing wrong with lesbians.

:smokin

MannyIsGod
03-23-2005, 01:52 AM
:lmao

I too, had no idea this was really about the real Mrs. Barry. I thought it was a joke.

T Park
03-23-2005, 10:26 AM
Very noble cause, Brent may be stinking up on the court, but once again,

one thing this organization does is bring in good people.

Nice job Mr and Mrs Barry.

angel_luv
03-24-2005, 01:09 PM
Speaking of the Barry's. Anyone else going to their charity walk/ run at the SBC center on Saturday?

MI21
03-24-2005, 01:15 PM
I thought Kori made a sarcastic reference to whottt when I read the title.

Same here.

:lol @ timvp

Nice.

Rummpd
03-24-2005, 01:29 PM
As someone who has published on risk factors for conjoint spousal and child abuse, great cause by Ms. Barry.

polandprzem
03-24-2005, 01:35 PM
We must count how many in Spurs organization are making the charity work.
It would be impressive.

Guru of Nothing
03-24-2005, 01:40 PM
Nevermind.

foodie2
03-24-2005, 02:37 PM
Speaking of the Barry's. Anyone else going to their charity walk/ run at the SBC center on Saturday?

I am. I'll be the little old gray haired woman struggling to haul her ass around the course. I'll be running, but slowly. Don't any of you young things knock me down when you blow past.