04-29-2009, 12:51 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_drew_gooden.jpg

Drew Gooden | PF/C
Born: Sep 24, 1981
Height: 6-10 / 2,08
Weight: 250 lbs. / 113,4 kg.
College: Kansas
Years Pro: 6

info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/drew_gooden/index.html)

One wonders how he would have done with the Spurs had he been with the team all season. There's the definite possibility that it would have ended the same as it did in the final game of the season: DNP - Coach's Decision. Still, it's not like the Spurs can afford to waive goodbye to a 27 year old rebounding bigman with a career double digit scoring average, especially one who might be available for the MLE.

Buddy Holly
04-29-2009, 12:52 AM
I'm on the fence with this guy. His foot work and athleticism is great. His low, low, low basketball IQ is not.

EricB
04-29-2009, 12:53 AM
No thanks.

His Elson like BBall IQ was maddening and his ball hogging and no defense was fucking horrible.

Manufan909
I'd say :tu, but Pop giving 10 minutes last night to Bonner after he chocked 9 billion times more than Gooden in the 4 games prior is too obvious a sign. Looks like he'll be packing up his suitcase again.:depressed

E20
Wrong forum.

Mugen
04-29-2009, 12:55 AM
id take him over matt bonner anyday but if he asks for anything about 4 million then let him walk.

DPG21920
04-29-2009, 12:55 AM
I do not think this should happen unless it is a last resort. Too many reasons why not as opposed to why they should.

alchemist
04-29-2009, 12:56 AM
Unfortunately I think the rift between Gooden and the Spurs is a big one, I don't blame Pop for not playing him. Once he fell on his back he just couldn't explode like he was doing prior to that fall. We could've used him but he just wasn't the same and that probably hurt his ego + he's looking to get paid in pretty much the last big contract that he's going to get so the Spurs can't afford him.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-29-2009, 12:58 AM
He's too much of a random factor. If he can be had on the cheap...the suuuuuuper cheap....then it would be kinda okay. We're never going to change this guy. He is what he is.

NewJerSpur
04-29-2009, 12:59 AM
The thing with Gooden is, even though he's young (relatively speaking) he's not an "impressionable youngster"....his game is his game. When he's got the ball, he's not really looking to pass or score, passing is the very last option; even to the extent he'll force up shots in traffic. On top of that, he's not really defensive minded which was an area in which we struggled this season.

However, he's got good range on his jumper, has a decent post-game, and is pretty fierce on the glass.

Man, if you could just combine him and KT somehow.....

Chomag
04-29-2009, 01:02 AM
After the way he was treated by Pop I doubt he even considers any offer that we might throw at him.

Manufan909
04-29-2009, 01:05 AM
After the way he was treated by Pop I doubt he even considers any offer that we might throw at him.

I can't wait for an explanation of that. Gooden doesn't get played cuz of bad D, well then why the FUCK was Fin in to end the game????

TheProfessor
04-29-2009, 01:05 AM
That DNP was a message. He won't be back.

timvp
04-29-2009, 01:07 AM
I have to think about this one.

HarlemHeat37
04-29-2009, 01:07 AM
I don't know..it's too risky..

we need defense first in the front court..

Dunc n Dave
04-29-2009, 01:10 AM
Gooden is a goner. The Spurs will go hard after Rasheed "Both Teams Played Hard" Wallace for the full MLE.

SouthTexasRancher
04-29-2009, 01:10 AM
That DNP was a message. He won't be back.

Too bad there were not about 8 of them DNP's.

Gooden wouldn't sign with the Spurs now unless it is TOP $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The Lakers or Mavs will sign him. Our loss.

DAF86
04-29-2009, 01:11 AM
If we don't get Sheed, or any other good bigmen, yes. I'd rather sign him than Rasho.

EricB
04-29-2009, 01:12 AM

After that poor defensive showing and low IQ I think Pop was justified.

Kori Ellis
04-29-2009, 01:15 AM
This is a tough call for me. I thought he showed some amazing energy and it was fun to watch him work around the basket. I didn't expect anything defensively, so whatever they got out of him was fine in that regard. When they signed him, I figured it was a 1/2 season rental situation since his BBall IQ and blackhole tendencies of the past don't exactly fit the Spurs mantra.

But, I can't stop and think that maybe his (lack of) playing time in these final games had more to do with an injury rather than a coaching decision. He didn't really get much playing time since the coughing up blood game.

loveforthegame
04-29-2009, 01:16 AM
I like what he had on the offensive side. And he nice chemistry with Ginobli in the 2nd unit. That would be hard to turn down.

I'd like to think his defense would improve after having more time with team.

But Pop giving him a DNP doesn't bode well for him. I'm not sure he'd want to come back even if the Spurs wanted him.

HarlemHeat37
04-29-2009, 01:21 AM
I highly doubt Gooden will have many teams that will go after him hard though, so we'll see..he doesn't have a good reputation around the L..

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-29-2009, 01:24 AM
Someone will throw 4 years at the MLE at him, so doubtful we have a shot to keep him unless the FO has scrapped 2010 for a big splash this offseason.

timvp
04-29-2009, 01:24 AM
Gooden definitely had his moments. He was putting up Tim Duncan stats per minute until that fall. But who knows if it was that fall that hurt him or that the pressure increased when the team went on the road.

He has the potential to be a 15 and 9 type player. But he also has the potential to be a player Pop tires of quickly and looks to salary dump using valuable assets.

GSH
04-29-2009, 01:25 AM
In the games Gooden played with the Spurs, he was very good at getting into the game and getting right to the FT line. (And making the FT's.) That is a great asset, especially at the end of games when you need to score with the clock stopped. That's sometimes how you grind out playoff wins. So if Pop dislikes him so much that he won't put him in the game in a situation like that, why even talk about keeping him?

At the end of Game 4, the Spurs were down by just 5 with a little over 3 minutes left. Their shot selections went:
Finley 3
Bonner 3
Hill 3 (made)
Parker 3
Finley 3
Bonner 3
Finley 3
Bonner 3

I would have let Hill take another shot at it. But failing that, I sure as hell would have taken my chances with Gooden drawing a few whistles. Obviously Pop doesn't think that way. Whatever Gooden might bring to the table for another team, he has no place on this one.

ss1986v2
04-29-2009, 01:35 AM
But he also has the potential to be a player Pop tires of quickly and looks to salary dump using valuable assets.

if it came down to a multi-year, full MLE offer to gooden or sheed, who do you go with?

i probably side with gooden, because even if things go south, hes still probably easier to move than sheed on that same contract if/when the wheels fall off him. gooden would still be a sub-30 year old big with career 12&8 average on a MLE deal.

HarlemHeat37
04-29-2009, 01:39 AM
multi-year MLE has to go to Gooden..if 'Sheed doesn't accept a 1 year contract, I think we look somewhere else..MAYYYYBBE 2..

Ditty
04-29-2009, 01:42 AM
Gooden for cheap if we don't get wallace or ariza

crc21209
04-29-2009, 02:11 AM
I think the Spurs have got to re-sign this guy...I mean come on..a young big who can rebound and score? Hell why not? Sign him up!

Manufan909
04-29-2009, 02:23 AM
He didn't really get much playing time since the coughing up blood game.

I can't say I didn't notice that cuz I didn't get to watch Gm4, but I hope he gets better. As long as he plays more than Bonner if resigned, I'm good. Before his injury, he was beasting. And Bonner had 1 decent game to put next to 4 colossal stinkers.

Considering the bigs available, I think he's the best one to compliment Tim/KT/Ian/Bonner. Sheed would be nice, but only in a perfect world where he took the min, got in shape, and passed an anger management course.:p:

Ditty
04-29-2009, 02:23 AM
I think the Spurs have got to re-sign this guy...I mean come on..a young big who can rebound and score? Hell why not? Sign him up!

but can't play defense

either can bonner

can we give bonners money to gooden

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-29-2009, 03:16 AM
Gooden has hurt the team more than he's helped most of the time. Of course you can't deny he's talented offensively and for a cheap and short contract would be a no-brainer, but some stupid team is bound to offer him their MLE.

I think the Spurs will split their MLE this offseason if they use it at all, so I'd be looking at players of the Q Ross, Sheldon Williams, R Carney mould.

I'd also consider Channing Frye and Morris Almond.

objective
04-29-2009, 03:37 AM
Just say NO to Drew Gooden getting re-signed.

He's not enough of a difference maker to keep. He'll get his empty stats more often than not, but he's the same guy who's played for about 1/5th of the teams in the NBA as a high profile talent/prospect and been jettisoned by every one of them.

Signing Gooden to anything more than a 1 year deal would be a giant mistake, and leave the Spurs saddled with a contract that nobody wants to trade for (just like Kurt Thomas who I also was against the Spurs re-signing).

I'd rather the Spurs go with some scrubby second round rookie like Jeff Pendergraph than Gooden or Thomas or the rest.

Obstructed_View
04-29-2009, 04:12 AM
Gooden has no place on this team if he's not standing at the perimeter chucking threes. Pass.

mattyc
04-29-2009, 06:48 AM
If he wants to come back, I'd sign him. Provides alot of energy and is a legit scoring threat. He'd be starting for a number of NBA teams and I think he's been underated around here.

Give him a proper off-season in the Spurs system (fitness and strategy wise), and you'd have an exponentially better player at the Spurs.

SenorSpur
04-29-2009, 10:23 AM
I highly doubt Gooden will have many teams that will go after him hard though, so we'll see..he doesn't have a good reputation around the L..

Anybody know what the book is on Gooden?

SenorSpur
04-29-2009, 10:35 AM
I struggle with this prospect of resigning him. On one hand, he was a defensive liability and didn't rebound the ball well enough. On the other hand, he has a strong, offensive-minded game, great footwork around the basket and can hit his FTS.

It's not like there are a plethora of 28 year-old bigs, with career avgs of 13 & 8, that are falling out of the sky. He's young enough that he could be a good transitional option until Ian fully develops and untl Spilitter arrives. Plus resigning him to a reasonable contract, as MB pointed out in an earlier thread, could mean using him as a future trade chip.

The Spurs are so talent-thin in the frontcourt that they shouldn't be so quick to turn their nose up at him. Especially since he's the 2nd best big on the team right now. The fact that he got injured toward the end also clouds the picture. Based upon his DNP, I just don't believe Pop wants him back.

Streakyshooter08
04-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Well I have mixed feelings about Gooden. I think the chances are pretty high he will demand too much and is probably gone. I don't think the Spurs will offer him a lot.

Manufan909
04-29-2009, 11:16 AM
If he and Anderson could be had at the same price, I would pick Anderson. He might not have a post game, but if you double off he gets free dunks. Plus he seems to love playing D.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-29-2009, 01:11 PM
This is a tough call for me. I thought he showed some amazing energy and it was fun to watch him work around the basket. I didn't expect anything defensively, so whatever they got out of him was fine in that regard. When they signed him, I figured it was a 1/2 season rental situation since his BBall IQ and blackhole tendencies of the past don't exactly fit the Spurs mantra.

But, I can't stop and think that maybe his (lack of) playing time in these final games had more to do with an injury rather than a coaching decision. He didn't really get much playing time since the coughing up blood game.

Well, Pop commented last night when asked that it wasn't Gooden's injury that decreased his minutes.

Seeing Gooden steam on the bench in the fourth while Bonner and Finley took turns at powerless forward also said a lot.

I'd like to have him back, I think with an off-season they could mold him some into a stud off the bench. Everyone seems to forget that guys like Glenn Robinson and Jax were ballhogs/black holes when they got here but got molded into Spurs material.

He is the second best big we've had on our roster since Dave retired, and they never gave him a chance to play next to Tim and see what a twin towers look would do for us (Pop instead chose to play smallball and get punked on the boards by Dallas - idiot...)

But it's clear from how Pop handled him last night that he won't be back. (plus, he's under 30, and is a big who doesn't jack up three pointers, so those don't fit with Pop's 'system') :rolleyes

Too bad. Instead we'll be subjected to more Matt Bonner and Michael Finley at PF, the injury carousel that is Ian, and talk about looking forward to Tiago in 2010 :-/

TDomination
04-29-2009, 01:25 PM
I don't know either. He can score, no doubt about that. I would like to see what he could do on defense with a training camp under his belt with the Spurs.

I would DEFINITELY want him instead of Bonner. But not as a starter. I hope to get another big man, Sheed, or whomever, to start w/Duncan and have Gooden off the bench along with Kurt or somebody else. But no Bonner.

Bruno
04-29-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm not really for bringing back Gooden. I think there are better options for the MLE.

Spurs Brazil
04-29-2009, 03:57 PM
I'm not really for bringing back Gooden. I think there are better options for the MLE.

Agree, 1st I'd try to get a wing with the MLE. If it isn't possible I'd look at Gooden, Wallace and McDyess and see who is the better money/years

to21
04-29-2009, 04:12 PM
The guy has a problem on the defensive end (I'm with Kori on his defense) but can rebound and score with the ball..........I don't get it.

:lol at "low BB IQ".

Bender
04-29-2009, 04:50 PM
has this been posted anwhere? (Simmons Q&A)

Q: Was that the end of the Spurs' pseudo-dynasty?

A: Yeah, I think so. It's too bad. You can only feast on bargain free agents, castoffs and late first-rounders for so long. And Duncan passed the 1,000-game mark, which is never a good thing. Barkley made a great point on TNT on Tuesday night that I will try to paraphrase: Superstars reach a point when everyone starts saying, "We just need to get him some rest" or "We just need to get him more help," when really, the guy is just getting old and you can't stop it. In Duncan's prime, he would have seen the series slipping away after Game 3 and slapped up a 35-19-7 with seven blocks to save the Spurs in Game 4. Not this time. He only had a 25-10-7 with one block in him, Slight difference … but a difference.

Know when I knew it was over for the Spurs? When they signed Drew Gooden. Good rebounder, decent inside scorer, total knucklehead. He grew a mini-beard on the back of his neck three years ago. He let down LeBron so many times that LeBron developed an actual "Drew Gooden disappointed me yet again and I might have to kill him soon" frown. When he went to Chicago, Cleveland immediately became a better team. The Bulls dumped him and they immediately became better. He's exactly the type of player the Spurs NEVER sign: someone who looks better on paper than he actually is. I just thought it seemed like a desperate move. And it was.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090429&sportCat=nba

timvp
04-29-2009, 04:54 PM
^^^Simmons has a point. It's not a good sign that every team Gooden leaves gets better. And that stat research I did shortly after signing him pointed to him being a player who had little to no positive impact on his team in any area ... despite his impressive stats.

The most valuable aspect about him is he'd be able to take some of the pressure off of Duncan in the low block and maybe on the glass. But as far as winning a championship, I'd say a player like Rasheed or a player like McDyess actually bring more to the table in terms of production that leads to championships.

baseline bum
04-29-2009, 04:58 PM
I was disappointed by his rebounding, but loved his scoring. Ultimately, I think the team is better off going after one of the Pistons bigs or shopping for a three though.

Creation88
04-29-2009, 05:23 PM
with more time with the team and more time to learn the D, Gooden could be HUGE on this team. bring him back.

crc21209
04-29-2009, 06:10 PM
Big man rotation of: TD, Sheed, Gooden, and Mahinmi. Aaaand Thomas for 1 more year. Screw Bonner and Oberto is done as well.

Marcus Bryant
04-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Gooden likely to test free-agent waters (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/04/gooden-likely-t.html)
By Jeff McDonald

Drew Gooden arrived in San Antonio last March hoping to make it his home. He had bounced around the NBA for six-plus seasons in a nomad's career. He was finally ready to settle down.

Speaking to reporters at the Spurs practice facility this afternoon, Gooden reiterated his desire to remain with the Spurs after he becomes a free-agent on July 1, but intimated that he will test the market first.

"I had a great time here," Gooden said. "It was a great experience. Whatever happens, this will be a couple of pages in my book that will be memorable. I'd love to be a part of this organization, but we'll see this summer."

If Tuesday's Game 5 loss to Dallas was his last in a Spurs uniform, Gooden said he has no hard feelings with how it ended. He took a DNP-CD, as coach Gregg Popovich shortened his big-man rotation to use players most familiar with his system.

"We played a small lineup, small rotation, with the guys who have been here," Gooden said. "Some playoff games are going to be like that. If I've got to sacrifice playing to get a win, I'll do that."

tav1
04-29-2009, 07:38 PM
Long-winded let Gooden go blog post (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/04/29/offseason-breakdown-drew-gooden-and-the-frontcourt/).

Spursmania
04-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Concentration-Focus?

When I was at the first 2 home games in the playoff series, Pop would be in the huddle with the rest of the guys going over plays, and Gooden would be looking at the Coyote, the jumbotron or whatever else was going on. The bench players at the time like Hill or Mason, would be in the huddle too, trying to listen to what Pop was going over whether or not they were going to play. Just an observation, but I couldn't help but always think about his achilles heel, not enough focus or concentration, not smart enough, etc...

After 19 games and a couple of playoff games, do we really know how Gooden fits with the Spurs? The guys definitely athletic--I really liked some of the moves I saw from him. I just don't know if he's a good fit.

Plus, Gooden's agent is Fegan who is known as hard nosed and gets top dollar for his clients. If all he wants his money, I don't think the Spurs have enough to give him even if they wanted him.

EricB
04-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Adios Gooden.

McDeyss FTW.

angelbelow
05-13-2009, 08:33 PM
i think we should resign this guy at the right price. its true that his bball iq isnt great and his defense is poor but no one is perfect. the pros to his games are pros that i think this team desperately needs. if drew gooden was a great offensive player, great rebounder, great b-ball iq and a great defender, than ofcourse i would be happy. but realistically, how many of those players are out there?

ElNono
07-02-2009, 09:35 PM
You know this thread is coming... :depressed

Anyways, has any team offered anything for this guy?

z0sa
07-02-2009, 09:36 PM
I was just contemplating this situation. How long before he gets scooped up and option F is Oberto starting at center?

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2009, 09:39 PM
If the Spurs land a starting center via trade, then perhaps retaining Gooden to be the first off the bench bigman isn't that bad an option. He can shoot the J and rebound. He can give you post offense when TD rests. Gooden could help keep TD's minutes down during the regular season.

timvp
07-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Is anyone holding out hope that Gooden could be brought back as the starting big? A lot of Spurs fans thought that a full training camp and preseason could do Gooden a world of good. Now Gooden is an afterthought by just about everyone on the board.

I don't love him as a starter but I'd probably take him as the starter over Bass at the MLE.

timtonymanu
07-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Is anyone holding out hope that Gooden could be brought back as the starting big? A lot of Spurs fans thought that a full training camp and preseason could do Gooden a world of good. Now Gooden is an afterthought by just about everyone on the board.

I don't love him as a starter but I'd probably take him as the starter over Bass at the MLE.

If we lose out on Sheed, Dice, or Zaza then yes i would love Gooden to come back.

benefactor
07-02-2009, 09:44 PM
If we completely run out of options then perhaps he would take a one year deal at the MLE so he could try his luck elsewhere in 2010. A trade for Collison or Foster would be necessary if we signed him though.

tav1
07-02-2009, 09:44 PM

+1. I don't under the Bass-lust. Gooden is much better than Bass.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2009, 09:45 PM
He's not a bad option.

tav1
07-02-2009, 09:46 PM
If we completely run out of options then perhaps he would take a one year deal at the MLE so he could try his luck elsewhere in 2010. A trade for Collison or Foster would be necessary if we signed him though.

MLE is as much as Gooden can get, imo. Maybe more than he can get in this market.

benefactor
07-02-2009, 09:47 PM

Definitely. If he could come in and show some sort of integrity within our system next season he might have a shot at a 2010 contract with us.

timvp
07-02-2009, 09:48 PM
My guess is that Gooden gets about three years and $12M somewhere ... unless someone gets really desperate.

ElNono
When you see free agents like Dice and Sheed out there, Gooden simply pales in comparison. That said, there's no question I would take him above Bass.
But that's a last resort option. Neither of them can play defense, and what I was hoping is to get a big to help Timmy D up the paint.

tav1
He's not a bad option.

MB, who isn't a bad option? Gooden or Bass? Neither is a bad option, imo. Gooden is just a better player.

benefactor
07-02-2009, 09:51 PM
When you see free agents like Dice and Sheed out there, Gooden simply pales in comparison. That said, there's no question I would take him above Bass.
But that's a last resort option. Neither of them can play defense, and what I was hoping is to get a big to help Timmy D up the paint.
...which is why we would probably need to move Bonner/Finley for a defensive big. Gooden takes the place of Bonner as the shooting big.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2009, 09:52 PM
MB, who isn't a bad option? Gooden or Bass? Neither is a bad option, imo. Gooden is just a better player.

I'd prefer Gooden.

barbacoataco
07-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Maybe I'm just way off but I think that Gooden, at this stage in his career, is not that far off from McDyess. What is it about Dice that makes him a better player? Gooden is
in his prime and less of an injury risk than 35 yr old players. I think the Spurs should sign Rasho as the defensive 5, and Gooden for the scoring 4.

timvp
07-02-2009, 09:58 PM
If the Spurs strikeout on Sheed and McDyess, one option is to give Gooden a one year deal worth the MLE. Next summer, the Spurs would have the option of re-signing Gooden, bringing in Splitter or perhaps going after a big such as Camby.

Not the greatest of outcomes but it's probably a better idea than overpaying someone like Bass.

SenorSpur
07-02-2009, 09:58 PM
With a rapidly dwindling market on "bigs", the Spurs had better hedge themselves. Gooden isn't a bad hedge, at this point.

Vic Petro
07-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Maybe I'm just way off but I think that Gooden, at this stage in his career, is not that far off from McDyess. What is it about Dice that makes him a better player? Gooden is
in his prime and less of an injury risk than 35 yr old players. I think the Spurs should sign Rasho as the defensive 5, and Gooden for the scoring 4.

I think there's a fairly big dropoff from McDyess to Gooden, especially for this team. McDyess' baketball IQ is much greater than Gooden's. He's also a system player unlike Gooden who is more of an isolation player. McDyess is also better defensively.

MarHill
07-02-2009, 10:02 PM
With a rapidly dwindling market on "bigs", the Spurs had better hedge themselves. Gooden isn't a bad hedge, at this point.

I forgot about him.....

He may be the fall back guy for the Spurs!!

ivanfromwestwood
07-02-2009, 10:02 PM
i like em Gooden-tite

timvp
07-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Maybe I'm just way off but I think that Gooden, at this stage in his career, is not that far off from McDyess. What is it about Dice that makes him a better player? McDyess is a pro's pro who works hard, bring great character and only cares about winning. Gooden is a space cadet who is in his own world.

EricB
07-02-2009, 10:04 PM
Drew Gooden would be my absolute LAST option.

It makes me puke just thinking he would be all they would get htis summer...

The Truth #6
07-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Typically, a player's value declines after playing for the Spurs. With the exception of the contract Orlando gave Hedo, I feel like most teams don't want players after they go through the Spurs. I'm sure I'm forgetting some players, but that seems like how I typically remember it going down. If that's true, then we may have lowered Gooden's market value, which could be to our advantage.

benefactor
07-02-2009, 10:06 PM
I think there's a fairly big dropoff from McDyess to Gooden, especially for this team. McDyess' baketball IQ is much greater than Gooden's. He's also a system player unlike Gooden who is more of an isolation player. McDyess is also better defensively.
Indeed...but the jury is still out on whether or not Gooden could play within our system. He showed some flashes of good last year, but he also showed some flashes of bad. All in all, he really didn't have enough time for us to get a real sample of what he could be. With addition of RJ I think Gooden could become even more effective on the offensive end. A starting lineup of Duncan/Gooden/RJ/Mason/Tony is a lot of damn scoring options.

Mark in Austin
07-02-2009, 10:10 PM

I just don't think he has the mental chops / discipline to master the offense and defense the starting unit runs.

As an off-the-bench, bull in a China shop option playing the 2-man game with Manu, I think he could be really effective... but for the full MLE? Not unless all starting quality bigs are gone and only for a year to (help) keep him focused.

Hate to say it but at this point I think Blair has more promise for true Spurs Basketball than Gooden.

Vic Petro
07-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Indeed...but the jury is still out on whether or not Gooden could play within our system. He showed some flashes of good last year, but he also showed some flashes of bad. All in all, he really didn't have enough time for us to get a real sample of what he could be. With addition of RJ I think Gooden could become even more effective on the offensive end. A starting lineup of Duncan/Gooden/RJ/Mason/Tony is a lot of damn scoring options.

True, but the acquisition of RJ will go a long way towards solving our scoring deficiencies. I think the most glaring place the Spurs fell off last season was in playing defense and defending the rim. For a Popovich team to be successful it's imperative the players commit on the defensive end. McDyess has a proven ability to help there. I've already seen Gooden miss enough defensive rotations to last a career.

benefactor
07-02-2009, 10:21 PM
True, but the acquisition of RJ will go a long way towards solving our scoring deficiencies. I think the most glaring place the Spurs fell off last season was in playing defense and defending the rim. For a Popovich team to be successful it's imperative the players commit on the defensive end. McDyess has a proven ability to help there. I've already seen Gooden miss enough defensive rotations to last a career.
Agreed...which is why I said a trade for Collison or Foster is necessary if we sign Gooden. In Gooden's defense(no pun intended), he actually played passable man defense while he was with us last year.

cheney212
07-02-2009, 10:24 PM
id take goodens d over bonner i actually want to sign gooden cuz hes a good second unit guy but pop screwed him with DNP

Obstructed_View
07-02-2009, 10:38 PM

I keep coming back around to that. I hope the Spurs don't screw around dancing with other guys that might not be as good as Gooden and end up losing a guy who, let's face it, CHOSE to come to San Antonio and sounded like he wanted to stay here for a while. The guy's put up better numbers than McDyess has at any point since he left Denver, and is probably as good as anyone else the Spurs are going to get and cost less money. I'm still not convinced that the "low basketball IQ" argument is valid, as a camp being told where he needs to be and when isn't going to suddenly make him less than the 12 and 9 guy he's managed to be all along.

Spurs Brazil
07-03-2009, 06:56 AM
I rather have Gooden than Bass

spurspokesman
07-03-2009, 07:04 AM
I rather have Gooden than Bass

My god if he only had A defensive bone in his body. The beast he could be. I'm still convinced that that can be added to his game.

Allanon
07-03-2009, 07:21 AM
Drew Gooden was a great stop-gap player during mid-season.

But given a full off-season to pursue choices, Drew Gooden should be very low on the Spurs list.

However, if he agrees to the vet minimum, then that's a no-brainer pickup.

venitian navigator
07-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Till now, our front line is (considering our good chances to sign our draft choices ) :

- Bonner - Duncan -
Blair - Mahinmi
(Gist)
I think that the good development of Blair and Mahinimi need some players that are good ones but not so good to eliminate any chances to play good minutes.

So I don't see as a bad option the MLE - LLE idea of Gooden and Nesterovic

Line up :

Parker - Mason - Jefferson - Gooden - Duncan
Hill - Ginobili - Finley - Bonner (Gist) - Nesterovic
De Colo - Mc Clinton - Hairston (M. Williams) - Blair - Mahinmi

timvp
07-06-2009, 11:09 PM
The teams I wouldn't mind going to, Spurs, Cav's, Magic, and Golden St! What do you guys think?

http://twitter.com/drewgooden

I guess the Spurs haven't closed the door on him yet.

bigdog
07-06-2009, 11:12 PM
I guess the Spurs haven't closed the door on him yet.

I think it's funny that he put the Cavs on there. I wouldn't mind him back if it was for cheaper than the MLE.

loveforthegame
07-07-2009, 12:51 AM
Why GS?

I think he'd fit with Nelson's system but that would mean that Wright is probably on the way out. I don't like that at all.

Allanon
07-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Why GS?

I think he'd fit with Nelson's system but that would mean that Wright is probably on the way out. I don't like that at all.

You don't need to play any defense while playing for Nellie, very understable that Gooden would love to be there.

Sure the Warriors aren't contenders but he'd look like the DPOY while playing next to those guys :lol

Brazil
07-07-2009, 06:10 PM
^ Odom to the Blazers / Gooden to the Lakers !!!!!

Allanon
07-07-2009, 06:31 PM
^ Odom to the Blazers / Gooden to the Lakers !!!!!

Thank you for the suggestion, but I will sacrifice for the good of the Spurs.

I REALLY look forward to seeing Gooden start with Duncan for the the Spurs this year.

Obstructed_View
07-07-2009, 07:06 PM
Did I read something somewhere that Gooden visited Orlando in the last couple of days?

bigdog
07-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Did I read something somewhere that Gooden visited Orlando in the last couple of days?

Gooden was in California the past couple of days, and just flew to Orlando, where he lives.

Obstructed_View
07-07-2009, 07:11 PM
Gooden was in California the past couple of days, and just flew to Orlando, where he lives.

Aha. I read that he was flying to Orlando and assumed the Magic were interviewing him. If they were it might keep them from going after Dice as hard.

I'm starting to get my hopes up about Dice. Can you tell?

bigdog
07-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Aha. I read that he was flying to Orlando and assumed the Magic were interviewing him. If they were it might keep them from going after Dice as hard.

I'm starting to get my hopes up about Dice. Can you tell?

Yeah. Word is Orlando is also interested in Bass. So, the more guys they're interested in, the better chance we have at getting Dice, unless Orlando's targeting Dice as their #1 option.

I really think it's between Detroit and San Antonio, and now that Detroit has hired their coach, hopefully Dice decides soon.

Pistons < Spurs
07-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Marc Stein:

Big Baby and Drew Gooden are among the big-man targets for the Pistons now that JoeD is moving Afflalo, Sharpe and $350K to Denver. #fb

http://twitter.com/STEIN_LINE_HQ/status/2617613702

Looks like we might be swapping PF's this year!

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2009, 01:42 PM
Perhaps Gooden might be squeezed by the current market and could be enticed into sticking around in SA for the LLE for a year so that the Spurs would have his Early Bird Rights next summer...but one would think he'd get some kind of 3 year, $14 mil deal from somebody, like the Pistons, as mentioned above.

Pistons < Spurs
07-13-2009, 01:46 PM
We've only got about 3.5M to spend this year, so maybe a 3yr/12M is possible

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2009, 01:47 PM
We've only got about 3.5M to spend this year, so maybe a 3yr/12M is possible

I think the Pistons have more cap room now that they dealt Affalo and Sharpe. No?

timvp
07-13-2009, 01:49 PM
It sounds like the Pistons are going the offensive route under Kuester. If so, Gooden is a pretty good fit. Villanueva and Gooden as bigs could put points on the boards.

Pistons < Spurs
07-13-2009, 01:49 PM
I think the Pistons have more cap room now that they dealt Affalo and Sharpe. No?

Nope. We had to make this trade simply to put us at 3.5

:depressed

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Nope. We had to make this trade simply to put us at 3.5

:depressed

That should be in the ballpark for Gooden. Who else is competition for him at this point?

Pistons < Spurs
07-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Based on his time in SA, do you guys think Gooden will be able to handle the C position for us? It would basically be him and Kwame Brown.

Pistons < Spurs
07-13-2009, 01:52 PM
That should be in the ballpark for Gooden. Who else is competition for him at this point?

I hadn't heard his name mentioned in any rumors once you all landed Dice. So we may be the only ones!

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Based on his time in SA, do you guys think Gooden will be able to handle the C position for us? It would basically be him and Kwame Brown.

I'm sorry.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2009, 01:54 PM
I hadn't heard his name mentioned in any rumors once you all landed Dice. So we may be the only ones!

Right. Gooden looks like a decent big who will end up on a very affordable contract this summer. I think some teams will be patient and will end up with some good deals.

timvp
07-13-2009, 01:56 PM

Offensively, he can play center. He's deceptively good on the low post and can score in bunches if you keep feeding him. Defensively, he can defend centers one-on-one but he doesn't offer much help defense. Even Kwame Brown is better at defending the rim.

That said, I'd say he'd be a good signing starting at $3.5 million. He's pretty damn talented and would be a steal at that price if he dedicates himself to learning how to rotate on the defensive end.

Pistons < Spurs
07-13-2009, 02:01 PM
Offensively, he can play center. He's deceptively good on the low post and can score in bunches if you keep feeding him. Defensively, he can defend centers one-on-one but he doesn't offer much help defense. Even Kwame Brown is better at defending the rim.

That said, I'd say he'd be a good signing starting at $3.5 million. He's pretty damn talented and would be a steal at that price if he dedicates himself to learning how to rotate on the defensive end.

Yeah, for the money, he's a nice talent. I just don't know how well he fits in our roster. If we didn't have Maxiell, he'd be a great backup for CV. But I have a hard time envisioning Kwame and Gooden holding things down for us under the basket. But I'd rather have him over Big Baby I think.

So much for the days of Detroit defense. :depressed

IcemanCometh
07-13-2009, 02:02 PM
As a center Gooden makes a great vagina.

coyotes_geek
07-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Orlando just matched for Gortat. Considering what options the mavs have left I think Gooden makes a lot of sense for them now.

naico
07-15-2009, 06:22 AM
Detroit is still exploring ways to make a deal for Utah Jazz forward Carlos Boozer(notes), but the most likely scenario centers around the free-agent signing of Drew Gooden, and distantly, Boston’s Glen “Big Baby” Davis.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AnpbPIaNaS1vH8ns4Vk9ow68vLYF?slug=aw-iversonclippers071409&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Dex
07-15-2009, 09:40 AM
On the surface, bringing Gooden back seems like it would be a good move. He can score in the low block, he's got good length and athleticism, and he's a serviceable big man. Throw him into the mix of Parker, Ginobili, Duncan, and Jefferson, and this team should have absolutely no problems scoring. People were crapping their pants when we added him to our bag of spare parts last season; how would they feel with him on this squad?

However, his problems have already been mentioned. He's slow to rotate, doesn't defend the rim well, and is a black hole on offense if you want him to score.

The one thing that scares me most with Gooden is that he's one of those players that seems to have a knack for doing the wrong thing at the wrong time. He'll come in and put up decent production, but he'll still make that one bonehead move that will lose you games. And you never know when a thing like that could strike.

In that regard, I think it would be a gamble. Even with a season to become accustomed to the system, it's hard to see him being a player that fits the mold. But with Bonner on the books and Gooden looking to get bigger money elsewhere, I think it's out of the Spurs hands at this point.

mountainballer
07-15-2009, 09:52 AM
On the surface, bringing Gooden back seems like it would be a good move.

you realize that the Spurs don't own any rights and that they can only offer a minimum contract? (or the LLE, if Haislip in fact signed a min contract)

Dex
07-15-2009, 09:58 AM
you realize that the Spurs don't own any rights and that they can only offer a minimum contract? (or the LLE, if Haislip in fact signed a min contract)

Um...yes?

But with Bonner on the books and Gooden looking to get bigger money elsewhere, I think it's out of the Spurs hands at this point.

Bukefal
07-15-2009, 12:38 PM
I really want him to stay with us

Da Spurs
07-15-2009, 02:51 PM
Won't Blair take some of the LLE and basically end this discussion?

tempest186
07-15-2009, 03:03 PM
It looks like Blair might be getting the remainder of the MLE

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2009, 06:49 PM
The Spurs could always offer the LLE to Gooden for one season with an eye towards using Early Bird rights to sign him to a larger deal next summer. Still, that assumes that he couldn't find a better deal elsewhere, which may be in Detroit or Dallas.

bigdog
07-15-2009, 07:57 PM
The Spurs could always offer the LLE to Gooden for one season with an eye towards using Early Bird rights to sign him to a larger deal next summer. Still, that assumes that he couldn't find a better deal elsewhere, which may be in Detroit or Dallas.

I'm hoping that during his time with the Spurs, he's learned to hate Dallas.

wisnub
07-15-2009, 08:12 PM
Man, if you could just combine him and KT somehow.....[/QUOTE]

I hate to say it, but KT is a garbage truck..when his jumpers not falling,hes up to no good except fouling and throwing body. U dont need to combine KT with Gooden. Gooden is a good player, but he doesnt fit in with Spurs...hes better off staying in Cleveland