PDA

View Full Version : Former Spur: Tiago Splitter

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

TFloss32
06-15-2010, 04:46 PM
Props to Tiago now don't be a coward and come to San Antonio

Are we going to hear anything Tiago related before the NBA Draft? I assume the Spurs already know what's going to happen with him, but just wanted to see if anything will be made public before June 24th.

Mel_13
06-15-2010, 04:52 PM
When can the Spurs offically sign Tiago is a better question.

That one's easy. July 8th.

Mel_13
06-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Just making sure he can't be signed on July first since we are the only ones who can really sign him.

Same goes for whoever the Spurs draft correct? Because in reality the Spurs have been talking to Tiago and his agent for a while.

They can talk, negotiate, and agree on the numbers before then, but they can't sign a contract using the MLE before July 8th. If he was going to sign a rookie scale contract, he could sign earlier.

Bruno
06-15-2010, 05:09 PM
I lolled at Splitter post-game reaction:

Con mucha fe y con muchos cojones hemos conseguido ser campeones. Nadie daba un duro por nosotros

"Thanks to a lot of faith and balls, we are champions. Nobody would have bet a dime on us."

Libri
06-15-2010, 05:14 PM
I would like to hear that when they interview him here in Univision. hehe

Blackjack
06-15-2010, 05:15 PM
God bless faith and balls, sons. God bless faith and balls. :lol

benefactor
06-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Great job Tiago. You kicked ass over there...now come kick ass over here.

DesignatedT
06-15-2010, 05:42 PM
time to sign this man!!

DPG21920
06-15-2010, 06:22 PM
I just hope he gives the Spurs an answer one way or another quickly. Depending on what Tiago decides, it could very well have a huge impact on how the Spurs plan to proceed.

I just have this feeling he will make the Spurs wait it out though. The professional thing to do would be to give him a time line for an answer.

TheProfessor
06-15-2010, 07:02 PM
I lolled at Splitter post-game reaction:

"Thanks to a lot of faith and balls, we are champions. Nobody would have bet a dime on us."
:lol My new nickname for Tiago - "Faith and Balls."

Spurs Brazil
06-15-2010, 07:07 PM
http://www.estadao.com.br/fotos/Splitter_Caja_DavidAguilarEFE15062010(292).jpg

Mel_13
06-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Game 3 replay available:

http://acb360.orange.es/diferidos/LACB/54/331

mountainballer
06-16-2010, 02:29 AM
from now on I call my balls Faith and Hope.

Blackjack
06-16-2010, 02:34 AM
:lol

Tony had that radio drop for a while where he said, "Big nuts."

I hope we get a Tiago drop for, "Faith and balls" (even if I've always had more of a faith in my balls).

Bruno
06-16-2010, 09:44 AM
http://baskonia.elcorreo.com/noticias/2010-06-16/querejeta-asume-marcha-splitter-201006161623.html

It's looking better and better...

MaNu4Tres
06-16-2010, 09:47 AM
http://baskonia.elcorreo.com/noticias/2010-06-16/querejeta-asume-marcha-splitter-201006161623.html

It's looking better and better...

Translation anyone?

admiralsnackbar
06-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Translation anyone?

And we complain about Jeff McDonald... what a crap article!

Josean Querejeta, the president of Saski Baskonia as taken the departure of T. Splitter to the San Antonio Spurs next season as "something normal."

Querejeta has explained during the ceremony delivering the Championship watches [instead of rings, evidently] to the players of Caja that Splitter's progress and growth as a player leads him "compete in the best league in the world", and that it is his "goal and dream."

The president went on to say he is "aware" of the player's wishes to embark on the American adventure, although "there is, as yet, no confirmation," of this next step.

Although Tiago's farewell has yet to become official, Querejeta has already assumed Splitter will be absent from next season's campaign while at the same time thinking him "irreplaceable" as a player who has, from his arrival to the team, become the "dominant center," of the European scene.

He assumes it to be a certainty that Splitter will exercise his player's option to begin his NBA adventure with the Spurs, who have his rights.

Mel_13
06-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Translation anyone?

Basically that the club president is working under the assumption that Splitter will go the Spurs, although nothing official has been announced.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Man...I'm hoping this signing happens soon. I have such a hard time watching euro games and trying to speculate on whether a certain player's game will translate well into the NBA. But it sure looks like he has a lot of tools and his game has been maturing.

DesignatedT
06-16-2010, 12:54 PM
go ahead and give us a verbal commitment tiago.

Spurs Brazil
06-16-2010, 02:23 PM
There were some quotes from Tiago in Brazilian press today

"Ainda não sei o que fazer. Se foi a minha última partida aqui, esta foi a melhor maneira de se despedir, mas agora mesmo não sei o que vou fazer. Tenho que pensar e ver o que é melhor para mim e para minha família. Tenho contrato e uma opção para ir, mas não sei o que vai acontecer", declarou o jogador.
http://www.abril.com.br/noticias/esportes/splitter-ninguem-dava-nada-chegamos-aqui-1108131.shtml

He said he doesn't know what will happen but if that was his last game there it was the best way to say goodbye. He'll see what's better for him and his family said he has contract with Caja but a option to go but still doesn't know what will happen

Splitter faz parte de uma das melhores gerações de pivôs do basquete nacional. Tanto que, depois desta temporada, finalmente ele deve se transferir para o San Antonio Spurs – ele foi draftado em 2007 pela franquia texana da NBA. Isso, claro, depois de Istambul.
http://wp.clicrbs.com.br/zonamorta/2010/06/15/splitter-o-melhor-da-espanha/?topo=77,2,18,,,77

There was also an article from his hometown newspaper saying it's very likely he's going to play in San Antonio next season

Cane
06-16-2010, 02:27 PM
Tiago Splitter --- living the dream that Lebron James wanted to fulfill this season by grabbing a championship for his team before moving on to greener pastures :)

Blackjack
06-16-2010, 03:11 PM
Much of the same and a rough translation:

"Nobody believed it, but the group has had faith and we got here," welcomes Splitter

REVEALS THAT THE PIVOT WAS BESIDE HIMSELF AT THE LAST MINUTE

The Brazilian is grateful for the affection of the fans, but does not reveal whether he will continue in Vitoria in the future

B. LAZKANO - Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - Updated at 09:06 pm

http://static.noticiasdenavarra.com/images/2010/06/16/13-8531650_1.jpg
Josean Querejeta and Tiago Splitter are fused in an embrace at the conclusion of the duel. (AL)

VITORIA. Moved by the league title and got the love he showed baskonista loyal fans that requested full choir Baskonia continuity in the song of "stay Tiago, Tiago stay", the Brazilian player wanted "to thank baskonistas all. " "This has been incredible. No one did anything for us and we've got here. The group has had great faith, we knew we could play them as equals and that we could win," said the inside of Joinville.

The interior baskonista highlighted as a key confidence that the team had its own strengths.

"We played well, with more faith than them and we won with an incredible selection of Fernando. We have to thank all who have helped to achieve this. At the last second I could not even believe. I was beside myself "he said.

The MVP of the League final and acknowledged that having to compete for an extension when the basket of Eliyahu them beforehand could have given the victory gave them extra time to address concerns. "I do not know if the basket has been Lior or not, but we got something we touched on perhaps why the extension and has given us more willing to fight to the end."

The player still would not reveal baskonista what will happen to their future, but preliminary indications suggest that this summer left for the NBA. "We still do not know what I do. If it was my last game is the best way to say goodbye, but right now I do not know what to do. I have to think and see what is best for me and my family. I have yet two-year contract and an option to leave, but I do not know what will happen. "

Yes, the songs of his teammates, especially Huertas, and the public asking for their continuity will be engraved forever. "It was very emotional, I want very much to the people of Vitoria. It is they who deserve this title, because they have suffered a lot," he said.

QUEREJETA, HAPPY who also radiated satisfaction yesterday was Josean Querejeta. Baskonista President acknowledged that was the title that best taste has been left to be "the last", but wanted to make clear that "all have known him well."

The highest representative of the entity recognized as Barca this Baskonia Splitter has been able to break all the pools. "Nobody gave us a hard and we've got." In the opinion of the Lazkano the key was an impressive wardrobe. "It's an exceptional group," he said with satisfaction Josean Querejeta, while enjoying the third league.

SenorSpur
06-16-2010, 09:42 PM
Uh oh! Not again.

Mel_13
06-16-2010, 09:46 PM
I don't know. The way he seems to keep say he doesn't know what he wants to do makes me think he knows what he wants to do.

Yeah, most or all of these recent quotes came in the immediate aftermath of the final game and in response to questions asked by regional or Spanish national media. It seems professional and appropriate for him to answer in that way, even if he has already made up his mind.

Let everyone enjoy the afterglow of the championship, then announce his intentions.

HankChinaski
06-16-2010, 11:31 PM
"God no, enjoy this trophy because I'm out of here for New York."

The glove slap of all time if that ever would have happened.

I'mma packing my bags bitches....zing! :lol

J_Paco
06-17-2010, 02:08 PM
His back-and-forth makes him seem so damn wishy-washy. I'd prefer it if he gave a "no comment" over the constant "I don't know what I'll do." It sounds like things are coming together well for the Spurs/us. Yet, he should keep his thoughts to himself and stop with the conflicting reports.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2010, 02:19 PM
What is conflicting about constantly saying "I don't know what I'm going to do"?

DesignatedT
06-17-2010, 02:43 PM
He has nothing left to accomplish in Europe. Their is no reason for him not to come to the NBA.

Balance
06-17-2010, 06:49 PM
Tiago might want to come to the NBA to get better as a player, internationally speaking. Because he might be considered the best center in Europe, but a lot of people in Brazil don't consider him to be the best center in the national team. Many think the Nene/Varejao combo is the best frontcourt duo for the team. I'm not sure if I agree, because Splitter/Nene sounds pretty good to me too. But he'll have to come to the NBA to prove himself. I really hope he doesn't lose his starting job in the NT to Nene, it would be really unfair since he's always been committed to the team.

ceperez
06-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Tiago might want to come to the NBA to get better as a player, internationally speaking. Because he might be considered the best center in Europe, but a lot of people in Brazil don't consider him to be the best center in the national team. Many think the Nene/Varejao combo is the best frontcourt duo for the team. I'm not sure if I agree, because Splitter/Nene sounds pretty good to me too. But he'll have to come to the NBA to prove himself. I really hope he doesn't lose his starting job in the NT to Nene, it would be really unfair since he's always been committed to the team.

Tend to agree, Tiago has a lot of hype, but Nene and Verejao are definitely better players.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Tend to agree, Tiago has a lot of hype, but Nene and Verejao are definitely better players.Definitely?

Seem like different players to me. I simply haven't seen Splitter play enough to make that final a judgment.

ace3g
06-17-2010, 09:35 PM
in terms of NBA experience sure Nene and Verejao are better players, but you have to let Splitter play 1 or 2 years in the league before you can make a fair assessment

gilmor
06-18-2010, 12:59 AM
in terms of NBA experience sure Nene and Verejao are better players, but you have to let Splitter play 1 or 2 years in the league before you can make a fair assessment

That will not be enough for Spurs to win another title. Splitter has to be a better player to compensate for Duncan for the next 2 years before he will retire. The window isn't that big, btw.

TimDunkem
06-18-2010, 01:17 AM
That will not be enough for Spurs to win another title. Splitter has to be a better player to compensate for Duncan for the next 2 years before he will retire. The window isn't that big, btw.
He's talking about Splitter in comparison to Nene and Varejao as NBA players, and how it'll take some time before you can safely say he's better....He said nothing about him being the worse of the two.

That being said; There's no way Varejao is the better basketball player.

ceperez
06-18-2010, 08:19 AM
That being said; There's no way Varejao is the better basketball player.

Varejao has played in the NBA and played in the NBA playoffs, he knows what to expect. Splitter by comparison hasn't. In short, I would trade Splitter of Verajao or Nene if the opportunity came about.

I think Splitter's upside is Rasho Nesterovic. Which is serviceable but not great.

mountainballer
06-18-2010, 09:09 AM
I think Splitter's upside is Rasho Nesterovic. Which is serviceable but not great.

jesus. what a nonsense.
"upside" indicates what a player COULD be. it's based on talent, athletic abilities and size.
while size is about the same, in both other categories Splitter is 2 levels ahead of Rasho.
again. this doesn't mean there is any guarantee he will in fact be better than Rasho. but his upside at this moment is far above what Rasho is or was.

DrSteffo
06-18-2010, 12:08 PM
jesus. what a nonsense.
"upside" indicates what a player COULD be. it's based on talent, athletic abilities and size.
while size is about the same, in both other categories Splitter is 2 levels ahead of Rasho.
again. this doesn't mean there is any guarantee he will in fact be better than Rasho. but his upside at this moment is far above what Rasho is or was.

This. When was Rasho MVP of anything or considered best big man in Europe? Some people here seem to equal nba experience to being superior. That's not the case. Varejao was not great in Europe and I couldn't bellieve his success in the nba. In Europe he was mostly running around like crazy looking "cool" but kind of lost. Splitter is much better than Varejao.

Blackjack
06-18-2010, 12:15 PM
I've tempered my optimism when it comes to Tiago's ability and just how good of a player he is but the more I see and watch him I wonder to myself if I haven't just been selling him short as a way to not be disappointed.

He's not a franchise player or someone that'd historically dominate most front courts on a night-in and night-out basis, but you only have to look at the competition and opposition at the 4/5 in today's NBA to realize how having the requisite size and competency of front court skills means more these days. Lesser players are more useful and effective than they would've been back when the league was ruled by an abundance of front court dominance.

I think that's where I sold Tiago short: comparing his skills to the players of yesteryear and making an assumption that they'd translate comparably on the court. He wasn't as good or effective an overall player, therefore he'd have less of an impact; seemingly nothing more than a team's third and maybe second best Big and probably just a solid rotation Big.

But a solid rotation Big means more these days. Their existence is scarce and in dire need in most cases. So even if he's not a dominant player by conventional standards or doesn't possess the overall ability that would be needed to have the impact in prior years, it doesn't mean he's not capable of having a similar kind of impact in today's NBA.

Talent and impact is relative to the competition. I'm liking Tiago more and more.

lurker23
06-18-2010, 12:27 PM
Don't work your hopes up too much. I really like Tiago and hope he comes over, but I think at the moment his best in the NBA comparisons are the Lopez twins. Splitter can either be Robin or Brook. I think Tiago has the tools to be Brook, but coming into the NBA he might be like Robin.

Who knows though.

If Tiago's first NBA season is like Robin's first NBA season, then Spurs Nation will be put on suicide watch.

AFBlue
06-18-2010, 12:45 PM
If Tiago's first NBA season is like Robin's first NBA season, then Spurs Nation will be put on suicide watch.

I get the comparison if only from the defensive perspective. The Spurs got absolutely destroyed by superior length or athleticism routinely in the last few years. With Splitter, the Spurs would have the opportunity to match up with that athleticism and length for the first time since Robinson left in '03. If he gives you nothing else offensively (a la Robin Lopez), you're still in a substantially better position than you were in the last few years.

Obviously anything he gives you offensively makes him that much more valuable, but for somewhere between $3-5M next year I'll take the more than solid injection of youth and athleticism into the frontcourt and be satisfied.

I'll add...I think he's going to be much more than Robin Lopez and much sooner because of all of the experience.

Blackjack
06-18-2010, 12:48 PM
Don't work your hopes up too much. I really like Tiago and hope he comes over, but I think at the moment his best in the NBA comparisons are the Lopez twins. Splitter can either be Robin or Brook. I think Tiago has the tools to be Brook, but coming into the NBA he might be like Robin.

Who knows though.

I don't think Tiago's got Brook's game and I don't think he's going to be quite as good defending the interior as Robin.

I'd say impact-wise, Robin's performance last year would be a decent conclusion to draw. Their impact will just be different, as I believe Tiago to be able to help more offensively than Robin, while I believe it to be vice-versa defensively.

lurker23
06-18-2010, 01:28 PM
That entire Suns team underachieved that year. But I was talking about last season.

Robin's production last year on both ends would be very acceptable. However, if Splitter only gets 15-20 mpg, I'm sure there will be plenty of people screaming at Pop for not giving him more playing time, a la Blair.

Spurs Brazil
06-18-2010, 02:34 PM
No news here in Brazilian press, the only 'news' today was one EricB said in the beggining of the week that Mike Bud was in Spain during the finals and talked to Tiago

yavozerb
06-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Givony article on cnn/si .com
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/nba/06/18/rights.held/

Tiago Splitter, Spurs, No. 28 pick in 2007 draft. The Brazilian 7-footer is no stranger to diehard NBA fans, as his name has been on the radar for what seems like years now. He entered his name into the draft pool for the first time in 2004, and has continued to flirt with the NBA for the better part of six years.

Fresh off an ACB championship and Finals MVP award with Caja Laboral, the 25-year-old Splitter has never been more ready to come to the NBA than he is now. He's clearly the best center in Europe, averaging 16 points and 7 rebounds, shooting 58 percent from the field and showing promising defensive ability in the ultracompetitive ACB. Splitter is a mobile center with a good frame, great hands, excellent fundamentals and a high basketball IQ. He could step in and start for many NBA teams immediately and, unlike a lot of international prospects, will have few issues making the transition to the league's style of play.

Splitter finally could be poised to jump to the NBA: He can opt out of his deal in Spain this summer, and because he's three years removed from being drafted, he is eligible to be paid like an NBA free agent. Splitter will likely ask capped-out San Antonio to pay him the full mid-level exception, and he'll be worth every penny considering how desperately it needs him.

completely deck
06-19-2010, 10:55 PM
www.WeNeedTiago.com (http://www.WeNeedTiago.com)

Tiago, I'd appreciate a moment of your time to read this. It concerns the future of your basketball career. This is very important.

Why the San Antonio Spurs?

Keep Reading (http://www.poundingtherock.com/2010/6/11/1513730/www-weneedtiago-com)

Yep, I'm guilty for this!

Sorry for neglecting SpursTalk, I've been busy with school.

Spurs Brazil
06-20-2010, 07:33 AM
Tiago interview but no news

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/deportes/Hemos/aprendido/confiar/mismos/elpepudep/20100620elpepudep_5/Tes

P. Josean Querejeta, presidente del Caja Laboral, declaró que vería "normal" su salida hacia la NBA [San Antonio Spurs poseen sus derechos]...

R. Es verdad. Todos saben cuál es mi situación, con dos años más de contrato con opción de salida. Todos estos años dije que jugar en la NBA es un sueño que tengo en mi cabeza. Espero decidirlo cuanto antes. Además, este verano me caso, tengo el Mundial de Turquía...

'All those years I said play in the NBA is a dream and I wants to decide ASAP because there's also the Turkey Tournament'

tdunk21
06-22-2010, 08:57 PM
if splitter changes his mind and says he will come next season....what will the spurs FO do with the MLE

Bruno
06-23-2010, 02:10 AM
The latest:
http://baskonia.elcorreo.com/noticias/2010-06-23/baskonia-ofrece-splitter-contrato-20100623.html

Caja Laboral has offered Splitter a new contract that goes until 2015. Splitter said that he wants to play in the NBA.

It looks like Splitter has a solid plan B in case he and Spurs can't find a financial agreement.

scottspurs
06-23-2010, 02:24 AM
The latest:
http://baskonia.elcorreo.com/noticias/2010-06-23/baskonia-ofrece-splitter-contrato-20100623.html

Caja Laboral has offered Splitter a new contract that goes until 2015. Splitter said that he wants to play in the NBA.

It looks like Splitter has a solid plan B in case he and Spurs can't find a financial agreement.

If he signs that deal with Caja Laboral the Spurs might as well trade his rights for a bag of peanuts. :splitter

EricB
06-23-2010, 03:45 AM
The latest:

So in other words, hes decided to come, now they just need to agree to a contract?

Sweet :smokin

Pay him Spurs and lets get him the F over here...

Bruno
06-23-2010, 04:28 AM
An interview of Splitter:
http://www.noticiasdealava.com/2010/06/23/baskonia/tengo-muchas-ganas-de-jugar-en-la-nba-y-espero-que-todo-salga-bien-para-poder-cumplir-esa-ilusion

He is saying that he wants to play in the NBA and now it's up to Spurs to put the money on the table to get him. He also mentions Spurs' trading him as a possibility.

EricB
06-23-2010, 04:35 AM
of course its a possibility.

Doubt it happens....

benefactor
06-23-2010, 04:43 AM
Don't dick around with him Spurs. Pay the man and let's get this over with.

mountainballer
06-23-2010, 05:49 AM
Don't dick around with him Spurs. Pay the man and let's get this over with.

yes. I can see that they want to keep a part of the MLE to sign another player, but if they lose Tiago because they thought they need the money for another Udoka/Bogans type 3rd stringer it will be a disaster.
however, the Spurs did overpay for minor role player in the past 2 years (Mason, Bonner), so I hope they are willing to invest what it takes to get Tiago, knowing that he is on another level and offers much more upside.
most other NBA teams would be very happy to sign Tiago for the whole MLE and wouldn't hesitate to do.

SenorSpur
06-23-2010, 09:09 AM
This is going to get very interesting.

rayray2k8
06-23-2010, 10:39 AM
Splitter's Deal With Spurs Could Start At MLE

Jun 23, 2010 10:55 AM EST

The Spurs are widely expected to sign Tiago Splitter sometime soon after free agency opens on July 1.

GM R.C. Buford categorizes the expectation as "presumptuous".

Splitter is now widely acknowledged as the best big man in Europe.

Splitter can expect a deal starting at the mid-level exception, about $5.5 million. He could make more money to stick around Spain, so the Spurs will likely have to make up the difference with a long-term contract.

One rival NBA executive surmises it will take five years and a total package worth between $25 million and $30 million to entice Splitter away from Spain's money.

"I've heard he's developed his game so much over the past couple of years," Manu Ginobili said Tuesday. "I'm dying to see him. I'd love to see him play with us."

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67386/20100623/splitters_deal_with_spurs_could_start_at_mle/#ixzz0rgtKr6Er

mountainballer
06-23-2010, 11:19 AM
"I've heard he's developed his game so much over the past couple of years," Manu Ginobili said Tuesday. "I'm dying to see him. I'd love to see him play with us."

right Manu, tell them! say you will commit suicide if they don't sign him! or blow both ankle! or play for Argentina this summer!

Blackjack
06-23-2010, 12:08 PM
right Manu, tell them! say you will commit suicide if they don't sign him! or blow both ankle! or play for Argentina this summer!

Funny. Unsettling ... but funny. :lol

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-23-2010, 10:42 PM
Get it done. This is no time to quibble over cash. Pay the man his MLE and let's get on with finding the other pieces we need through the draft and FA.

SenorSpur
06-24-2010, 01:41 AM
Get it done. This is no time to quibble over cash. Pay the man his MLE and let's get on with finding the other pieces we need through the draft and FA.

Absolutely. At some point this season, I expect the Spurs could be able to ship out RJ's killer contract. For now though, they really need to sign Splitter, draft a young, athletic player, who can contribute some in the short term & more in the longer term, resign Ian and start grooming Gee, Hairston and Temple for big minutes this season.

Because the club is full-on in luxury tax territory, the Spurs will have very limited financial flexibility. Consequently, they will need to focus on marginal, young, cheap talent, to fill out the rest of their roster.

yavozerb
06-24-2010, 12:33 PM

Easy to say "pay the man", when the cash does not belong to you..Agree with you though

Spurs Brazil
06-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Report about Tiago in ESPN Deportes.

Need translation but from what I undestand no news, just telling Tiago would be a great fit

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=1051068&s=bas&type=column
El fichaje idealEl interno brasileño Tiago Splitter encaja a la perfección con lo que necesitan los SpursComentariosEnviar a un amigo Imprimir Por Bruno Altieri
ESPNdeportes.com
Archivo

(Getty Images)

El interno brasileño podría darle a San Antonio la profundidad necesaria en la pintura

BUENOS AIRES -- En tiempos en los que el bombardeo de mensajes con la palabra LeBron, D-Wade o Bosh satura las cuentas de correo electrónico, las páginas de los periódicos y los canales de televisión, los Spurs, especialistas en lograr mucho invirtiendo poco, podrían estar a punto de conseguir la mejor pieza para su rompecabezas: Tiago Splitter.

El ala-pivote brasileño, último MVP de las Finales de ACB que terminaron con el título de Caja Laboral, su equipo, ante Regal Barcelona, está dando señales positivas que indican que jugará con la camiseta de San Antonio la temporada entrante.

Splitter, drafteado en 2007 con el pick número 28, llegaría a la franquicia para acompañar a Tim Duncan en la pintura y podría ser el parche que corrija el error de R.C Buford y compañía cuando dejaron escapar a Luis Scola a Houston Rockets.

"Me muero por verlo", le dijo el escolta argentino Manu Ginóbili, viejo conocedor de Splitter en los torneos internacionales, a Jeff McDonald del periódico local San Antonio-Express News."Me encantaría verlo jugar con nosotros. Es talentoso, grande y sabe exactamente como jugar".

Splitter es un interno de excelentes movimientos, batallador, que ha utilizado la zona pintada como tintero y sus brazos largos como pluma para escribir una carrera fantástica en el básquetbol español. Desde lo deportivo, no puede ser mejor contratación para San Antonio: es joven -25 años-, inteligente, defiende con intensidad y conoce el básquetbol FIBA a la perfección, algo que seduce a Gregg Popovich por el estilo de básquetbol que practica el equipo texano.

En la última temporada, se vio que San Antonio necesitaba ayuda debajo de los tableros. Antonio McDyess no pudo ser el jugador que alguna vez fue con la camiseta de los Detroit Pistons y se notó que Duncan necesitaba piernas frescas para gozar de un respiro en momentos trascendentales de playoffs. Matt Bonner es casi un perimetral de estatura de interno y si bien DeJuan Blair -el robo del Draft pasado- dio una mano verdaderamente importante en algunos pasajes de la temporada, compararlo con Splitter es como comparar un muro en construcción con un edificio cinco estrellas; la diferencia crucial entre un jugador que se debe hacer y uno hecho del todo.

Quien diga que el básquetbol europeo no es igual a la NBA, tendrá razón. Quien diga que el básquetbol europeo es inferior a la NBA, estará equivocado: son estilos de juego completamente distintos y se requiere un período de adaptación tanto para jugar en Estados Unidos como para participar en el viejo continente. Para Splitter, esa adaptación sería más fácil en un lugar como San Antonio, una franquicia acostumbrada a adaptar a su manera a jugadores internacionales de primera línea.

Mike Budenholzer, asistente de Popovich, observó al jugador en las Finales de ACB y se llevó la mejor impresión. El presidente del Caja Laboral, Josean Querejeta, le dijo a la prensa española que "el deseo y la intención del jugador pasan por competir en la mejor liga del mundo", luego de que su equipo ganase el título de campeonato.

Splitter está listo para nuevos desafíos. La pregunta entonces es: ¿están listos los Spurs para pagarle lo que debe recibir?

Veamos, al pasar tres años luego de ser drafteado, Splitter ya no entra dentro del acuerdo colectivo de la NBA que limita el pago a los novatos, por lo que San Antonio -la única franquicia que puede negociar con él por tener sus derechos- debería acercarse a lo que gana en España, y por lo tanto no le quedaría otro camino que usar la excepción de nivel medio -alrededor de 5.8 millones- en un acuerdo a largo plazo.

Muchos fanáticos saben que el jueves comienza la agencia libre más codiciada de los últimos años, pero la prensa especializada sólo tiene ojos para lo que sucede con los New Jersey Nets, Chicago Bulls, Miami Heat y New York Knicks, las franquicias con dinero suficiente para conseguir dos agentes libres de primer nivel.

El caso Splitter, que será crucial para las aspiraciones de los Spurs, no es considerado -al menos por ahora- como un eje de peso en las decisiones futuras y puede significar la adición necesaria para que los Spurs vuelvan a estar en los primerísimos primeros planos de la NBA.

"He comentado otras veces que mi sueño es jugar en la NBA. Tengo muchas ganas de jugar allí, y espero que ahora todo salga bien para que pueda cumplir esa ilusión. Pero no está en mis manos, ésa es la verdad", le dijo el ala-pivote brasileño al sitio web noticiasdealava.com, en una entrevista.

Se habló de muchos acuerdos que San Antonio iba a hacer durante la noche de Draft, pero lo cierto es que fueron sólo bombas de humo: ni Tony Parker ni George Hill estuvieron cerca de irse del equipo. Mike Monroe, del San Antonio-Express News, informó que R.C. Buford cree que James Anderson, el perimetral elegido con el pick 20, excedía la calidad de un jugador elegido tan abajo en una primera ronda. Quizás un indicio para aclarar que Roger Mason, quien se convertirá en agente libre, tendrá la vía abierta para irse. De todos modos, la realidad es que todos los hombres cercanos a los Spurs saben que el verdadero cambio se daría con alguna adición en la pintura: la llegada de Splitter haría ganar al equipo en versatilidad y profundidad entre los internos.

"Al Baskonia ya le dejé claro que no era una cuestión financiera, sino de objetivos profesionales. Creo que es un buen momento para dar el salto. Es algo que siempre quise hacer. No soy ni el primero ni el último", le comentó Splitter al diario local El Correo, citado por ACB.com, en una nota que comenta que el equipo español le ofreció un contrato al jugador hasta 2015.

Este momento es crucial para Splitter en su carrera, como también para el futuro de San Antonio. Algunos trascendidos indican que el equipo texano podría ofrecerle un contrato a largo plazo que oscilaría los 25 o 30 millones de dólares, pero aún no hay nada concreto al respecto.

En la temporada que pasó, los Phoenix Suns apabullaron en segunda ronda de playoffs a los Spurs con un doloroso 4-0. En un equipo que necesita volver a construirse, Splitter puede ser un primer ladrillo de oro.

"Si lo podemos traer y funciona para él y nosotros, creo que todos estaremos emocionados", le dijo Buford a Jeff McDonald del San Antonio Express-News.

Enderezar el timón, aunque suene exagerado, puede ser cuestión de una sola persona.

Jugadores, cuerpo técnico y dirigentes de los Spurs, ya lo saben.

Bruno Altieri es redactor de ESPNdeportes.com. Consulta su archivo de columnas.

ace3g
06-29-2010, 03:16 PM
translation of above article from google chrome

The ideal signing
The Brazilian domestic Tiago Splitter fits perfectly with what the Spurs need

BUENOS AIRES - At a time when the bombardment of messages with the word LeBron, D-Wade or Bosh saturated e-mail accounts, the pages of newspapers and television channels, the Spurs, specialists do much investing little could be about to get the best piece for your puzzle: Tiago Splitter.

The Brazilian power forward, last MVP of the ACB Finals ended with the title of Caja Laboral, your team, to Regal Barcelona, is showing positive signs indicating that the shirt will play San Antonio next season.

Splitter, drafted in 2007 with the 28th pick, would the franchise to go with Tim Duncan in the paint and could be the patch that fixes the error of RC Buford and company when they squandered a Luis Scola to Houston Rockets.

"I'm dying to see it," said guard Manu Ginobili, old Splitter knowledgeable in international tournaments, a local newspaper Jeff McDonald San Antonio-Express News. "I'd love to see him play with us. He's talented, big and knows exactly how to play. "

Splitter is an excellent internal movements, fighter, which has used the paint and ink, and his long arms as a pen to write a fantastic race in the Spanish basketball. From the sports recruitment could not be better for San Antonio: -25 years-is young, intelligent, defended with intensity and FIBA basketball knows perfectly, something that appeals to Gregg Popovich of the kind of basketball team practicing Texas .

Last season, we saw that San Antonio needed help under the boards. Antonio McDyess could not be the player who once was with the Detroit Pistons jersey and it was noted that Duncan needed fresh legs to enjoy a respite from transcendental moments of the playoffs. Matt Bonner is almost an inner perimeter and height while DeJuan Blair, the theft of the Draft past, had a hand in some truly important passages of the season, compared with Splitter is like comparing a wall in a building construction with five stars; the crucial difference between a player needs to be done and one done at all.

Whoever says that European basketball is not like the NBA, will be right. Whoever says that European basketball is less than the NBA, will be wrong: they are completely different styles of play and requires an adjustment period for both play in the U.S. to participate in the old continent. For Splitter, this will be easier in a place like San Antonio, a franchise accustomed to adapt his way to leading international players.

Mike Budenholzer, Popovich's assistant, noted the player in the CBA Finals and took the best impression. The president of the Caja Laboral, Josean Querejeta, told the Spanish press that "the desire and intention of the player pass to compete in the best league in the world" after his team won the championship title.

Splitter is ready for new challenges. The question then is: Spurs are ready to pay what you should receive?

Now, to spend three years after being drafted, Splitter and not within the NBA's collective bargaining agreement that limits the payment to the rookies, so San Antonio, the only franchise that can negotiate with him, should have their rights closer to what wins in Spain, and therefore would have no other way to use the mid-level exception, around 5.8 million-in a long-term agreement.

Many fans know that on Thursday begins the most coveted free agents in recent years, but the press only has eyes for what happens with the New Jersey Nets, Chicago Bulls, Miami Heat and New York Knicks, franchises with money to get two free-agent class.

Splitter The case, which will be crucial to the aspirations of the Spurs, is not considered, at least for now, as an axle weight in future decisions and can make the necessary addition to the Spurs again be in the close-ups of the NBA.

"I have sometimes said that my dream is to play in the NBA. I have really wanted to play there and now I hope everything goes well for you to fulfill that dream. But not in my hands, that's the truth," he said Brazilian wing-pivot to the website noticiasdealava.com, in an interview.

They spoke of many agreements that San Antonio was going to do during the night of Draft, but the truth is that they were only smoke bombs, neither Tony Parker or George Hill came close to leaving the team. Mike Monroe of San Antonio-Express News, said RC Buford believes James Anderson, the perimeter chosen with the pick 20, exceeded the quality of a player chosen so far down in the first round. Perhaps a clue to clarify that Roger Mason, who will become a free agent, will open the way to go. However, the reality is that all people close to the Spurs know that real change would be given to any additions in the paint: Splitter's arrival would make the team in versatility and depth among the inmates.

"At Baskonia already made clear that was not a financial issue, but career goals. I think it's a good time to make the leap. It's something I always wanted to do. I am neither the first nor the last," he told Splitter local newspaper The Post, quoted by ACB.com, in a note that says that the Spanish team offered him a contract to the player until 2015.

This moment is crucial to Splitter in his career, as well as for the future of San Antonio. Some transcended indicate that the Texas team could offer a long term contract that would range the 25 or 30 million dollars, but still nothing concrete about it.

In the season that happened, the Phoenix Suns crushed in the second round of playoffs to the Spurs with a painful 4-0. In a team that needs re-built, Splitter can be a first brick of gold.

"If we can bring in and work for him and us, I think we are all excited," Buford told Jeff McDonald of the San Antonio Express-News.

Straighten the wheel, it sounds exaggerated, may be a matter of one person.

Players, coaches and leaders of the Spurs, I know.

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=1051068&s=bas&type=column

Bruno
06-29-2010, 03:28 PM
Report about Tiago in ESPN Deportes.

Need translation but from what I undestand no news, just telling Tiago would be a great fit

Yep, no news. I just did a summary of the situation.

Spurs Brazil
06-29-2010, 03:32 PM
Yep, no news. I just did a summary of the situation.

I thought Tiago was in Brazil but looking at his twitter he's in Spain. And here in Brazil no news, there's only Brazil in World Cup on the press now

benefactor
06-29-2010, 04:57 PM
The quiet is awfully loud....

Mel_13
06-29-2010, 05:48 PM
The deal is still not a sure thing and the Spurs should know by the 15th of July... Whatever that means.

July 15th is the deadline for Splitter to opt out of his contract with Baskonia.

EricB
06-30-2010, 12:04 AM
Unreal.

mountainballer
06-30-2010, 02:50 AM
http://thehoopsmarket.blogspot.com/2010/06/minnesota-timberwolves-could-have.html
Nikola Pekovic will have to decide his future before July 15th. The 24-year-old Montenegrin center could opt out of his contract with Panathinaikos, paying $1 million to the Greek club, and move to the NBA. According to the Greek media, the Minnesota Timberwolves, the team that own his NBA rights, would have offered a $15 million, 3-year contract to land Pekovic next season.

if true, this might give an idea about Tiago's asking price. Pekovic is good, but not as good as Tiago. let's guess the 15 M number comes out of a competing offer Pekovic got in Europe.

TheProfessor
07-01-2010, 12:12 AM
if true, this might give an idea about Tiago's asking price. Pekovic is good, but not as good as Tiago. let's guess the 15 M number comes out of a competing offer Pekovic got in Europe.
3 years, $13 million being reported. Slightly lower that expected, but I'm not sure that will affect what the Spurs offer Tiago initially. They need to get this done.

Bruno
11-04-2010, 08:10 PM
It was nice to edit this thread title from "International Prospect" to "Current Spur" :smokin

angelbelow
11-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Cool. It was also nice to see the kid finally play! Bright future ahead of him.

Spurs Brazil
05-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Tiago still working in San Antonio

tiagosplitter Indo treinar.. O sol ja saiu de novo aqui en SA/Going to workout... Nice day here in SA

Chomag
05-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Tiago still working in San Antonio

Hopefully he is working on his 3 point shot. :lol

Spurtacus
05-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Splitter should start with Duncan next season. Why Pop didn't play them together much this season baffles me.

Bill_Brasky
05-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Splitter should start with Duncan next season. Why Pop didn't play them together much this season baffles me.

Yup. One of the worst coaching moves he's ever pulled, tbh. When you have 2 defensive 7 footers on your squad, you might wanna give them some burn together.

dbestpro
05-10-2011, 01:16 PM
Yup. One of the worst coaching moves he's ever pulled, tbh. When you have 2 defensive 7 footers on your squad, you might wanna give them some burn together.

For whatever reason, Pop seems to still not see it this way. We look destined to play more 4 guard sets with RJ at the PF to be followed by the Blair and Bonner replacement combo. Even a YMCA coach can see this does not work, but not Pop.

Mr. Body
06-19-2011, 04:51 AM
Does this guy still play for the Spurs?

TDMVPDPOY
01-14-2012, 05:33 AM
i wonder what his market value atm if he was a free agent

amir osik is a FA soon, whatever he gets and bigs in the market get will determine whether we going to overpay for splitters services...

Chinook
07-04-2015, 05:07 PM
Thread title updated. Hoping he comes back in a couple years.