PDA

View Full Version : General NBA Draft 2009 Discussion

Marcus Bryant
04-29-2009, 01:03 AM
We'll cover the upcoming NBA Draft in general in this thread. We'll start with Bruno's excellent overview of the Spurs' picks, general draft info, and links to various draft resources...

Spurs' 09 draft picks :
Spurs have the 37th, 51st and 53rd picks.

Player available for the 09 draft :
International players born in 1987 and college senior are automatically eligible.
Other draftable players are on the early entry list (http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Early-Entry-List-Analysis/#2009-NBA-Draft-Early-Entry-List-3200)

Key dates :
April 7 : Teams can start workouts with automatically eligible players.
April 8 - April 11 : Portsmouth invitational tournament
April 26 : Early entry eligibility deadline, teams can start workouts with them.
May 19 : Draft Lottery.
May 27 - May 31 : Draft combine in Chicago.
June 6 - June 8 : Reebok Eurocamp in Treviso.
June 15 : Early entry withdrawal deadline.
June 25 : NBA Draft in NY.

Links :
Draftexpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/index.php)
Nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/)
A blog on European prospects (http://www.europeanprospects.com/)
Espn draft page (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/index)
Wiki on the lottery (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Draft_Lottery)
Future draft picks (http://www.realgm.com/src_future_draftpicks.php)
NCAA players stats (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/players)
Euroleague players stats (http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players)
CBA faq (http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm)

Spurs workout schedule :

May 16th:
Joe Ingles (SF)
Alex Ruoff (SG)
Jermaine Taylor (SG)

May 16th or May 17th:
Lee Cummard (SF)

May 17th:
Tyler Smith (SF)
Jeremy Pargo (PG)
Donald Sloan (SG)

May 18th:
Courtney Fells (SG)
Ben Woodside (PG)
Jack McClinton (PG/SG)
Robert Vaden (SG)
Marcus Thornton (SG)
Josh Shipp (SG)

May 19th:
Leo Lyons (PF)
Dwayne Collins (PF)
Robert Dozier (PF)

May 20th:
Dionte Christmas(SG)
Nick Calathes (PG/SG)
Damion James (PF)
Danny Green (SG/SF)
Greivis Vasquez (PG/SG)
Alonzo Gee (SF)
Wayne Ellington (SG)

May 27th:
DaJuan Blair (PF/C) only interview
Josh Heytvelt (PF) only interview

May 28th:
Luke Harandogy (PF) only interview
Jerel McNeal (SG) only interview

May 29th:
Chase Bundinger (SG/SF) only interview

June 13th:
Courtney Fells (SG)

June 17th:
Ben Woodside (PG)

June 18th:
Jonas Jerebko (SF)

Date unknown:
Nic wise (PG)
Kyle McAlarney (PG)
Curtis Jerrells (PG)
Rodrigue Beaubois (PG)
Lester Hudson (PG/SG)
Dante Cunningham (PF)
Jeff Adrien (PF)
Goran Suton (PF)
Alade Aminu (PF)
Josh Heytvelt (PF)
Demarre Carroll (SF/PF)
DaJuan Summers (SF) only interview
Nando De Colo (PG/SG)
Sergey Gladyr (SG)
Chinemelu Elonu (PF/C)
Stefon Jackson (SG)
Ahmad Nivins (PF)

timvp
04-29-2009, 04:53 AM
37 actually isn't too bad. If the Spurs had a pick at the end of the first round, there's a decent chance they would have traded it to save money in 2010. With 37 you can take an international player with a bad contract, you can trade up or you can take a domestic talent and give him a one-year audition.

At 37, it'll have to be best player available but it'd be nice to get a swingman. Having that drafted swingman compete with Hairston and Williams for a spot in the rotation could be a good plan.

TDMVPDPOY
04-29-2009, 07:46 AM
i think you should list how many picks we got and at what number....

3 2nd round picks #37, #51, #53

Bruno
04-30-2009, 02:19 PM
2009 early entry list:
http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Early-Entry-List-Analysis/#2009-NBA-Draft-Early-Entry-List-3200

benefactor
04-30-2009, 02:43 PM
I don't put a ton of faith in the draft this year. At first glance there doesn't seem to be many potential diamonds in the rough. I have feeling they may go international with this pick.

biziofromdowntown
04-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Jonas Jerebko

dbestpro
04-30-2009, 04:21 PM
Austin Daye 6-10 SF Gonzaga with silky smooth jump shot. Projected 2nd round and just what the doctor ordered.

Mal
04-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Dante Cunnigham. Looked nice in NCAA finals. In mock avaible at 57th.

Marcus Bryant
04-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Ties broken for Draft 2009 order of selection (http://www.nba.com/2009/playoffs2009/04/17/draft.tiebreakers/index.html)

rapliketp
05-01-2009, 12:47 AM
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Luke-Nevill-548/

velik_m
05-01-2009, 12:59 AM
Emir Preldzic (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Emir-Preldzic-1106/)

Spurs Brazil
05-02-2009, 08:03 AM
realgm latest mock draft has Spurs picking

37. Jarvis Varnado
Power Forward. Mississippi State

http://realgm.com/src_feature/1501/20090501/2009_nba_mock_draft_version_40/

duncan228
05-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Recap from collegehoops.net.

San Antonio Spurs: 2009 NBA Draft (http://collegehoopsnet.com/san-antonio-spurs-2009-nba-draft-166863)
by Jeff Fox

San Antonio Spurs

2008-09 Record: 54-28

Draft Picks: 37, 51, 53

Key Free Agents:

Michael Finley (Player option)

Drew Gooden

Fabricio Oberto (Partially guaranteed)

Ime Udoka

Jacque Vaughn

How They Got Here:

For the tenth year in a row the Spurs won at least 50 games, with Tony Parker, Tim Duncan, and Coach Popovich once again leading the way this season. If it wasn’t for Manu Ginobili missing half the season due to injury, they probably would have won closer to 60 games. As it was, their 54 win total was their worst season since 99/00.

What They Need:

The Spurs are getting old - and injury prone - very quickly, so they need an influx of top-shelf young talent. Unfortunately they don’t have any first round picks this year to accomplish this. Their small forward and center positions are especially old, so they should concentrate on those with their second round picks.

Who They'll Take:

As mentioned, the Spurs need young wing and post players. Among the possibilities in the second round that they should consider would be Danny Green, Victor Claver, Omri Casspi and Alade Aminu. The Spurs tend to do well with their draft picks, so if anyone is going to find a jewel in the second round, its them.

San Antonio Spurs Draft History (since 2000)

2008: George Hill (26), Goran Dragic (45), James Gist (57)
2007: Tiago Splitter (28), Marcus Williams (Arizona) (33), Giorgos Printezis (58)
2006: Damir Markota (59)
2005: Ian Mahinmi (28)
2004: Beno Udrih (28), Romain Sato (52), Sergei Karaulov (57)
2003: Leandro Barbosa (28)
2002: John Salmons (26), Luis Scola (55), Randy Holcomb (56)
2001: Tony Parker (28), Robertas Javtokas (55), Bryan Bracey (57)
2000: Chris Carrawell (41)

Solid D
05-04-2009, 10:11 PM
Whoever the Spurs draft, we shouldn't expect immediate impact. You can't even do that with 1st round picks. Immediate impact will have to come via trade and free agency. Now, if the Spurs can cash-in their chips from prior drafts with Mahinmi or Marcus Williams, it would be nothing short of amazing, if not unbelievable. Even one break-through from prior drafts, international player or otherwise, would put some air back in their old lungs.

Bruno
05-09-2009, 12:11 PM
I've finished adding international players for the draft.
If you want to talk about another international player(s) eligible for this draft, just let me know.

Thanks,
Bruno.

spursfan1000
05-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Damn we got Scola and Salmons in 2002...

Solid D
05-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Damn we got Scola and Salmons in 2002...

Actually, Salmons and Randy Holcomb were picked by Billy King and Larry Brown after they traded Speedy Claxton to the Spurs for those picks plus Mark Bryant. It was a pre-arranged trade after Kristic got taken by the Nets.

Biggems
05-12-2009, 09:24 PM
id really like if we could package 51, 53, and an expiring contract, perhaps Bonner to move into the late 1st round. Then we draft SF Sam Young.

With #37 we draft G/F Danny Green

Now onto FA.....hopefully Finley doesn't exercise his player option and decides to move on....we re-sign Gooden and Hairston. We sign Gist and either Williams or Sanikidze.

C - Ian, Thomas
PF - Duncan, Gooden, Gist
SF - Bowen, Young, Sanikidze/Williams
SG - Mason, Manu, Green
PG - Parker, Hill, Hairston

We would need to find one more big for the end of the bench, but our lineup would go from one of the oldest and slowest, to one of the youngest, fastest, and very athletic in just one year.

Also, with Hill, Hairston, Manu, Green, Bowen, and Young...we definitely would have a plethora of perimeter defensive options.

Libri
05-14-2009, 12:22 PM
This years draft isn't as deep in talent as in previous years. I am wondering what is the drop off in talent between the late first round and the early second round. If their isn't much of a drop, then perhaps it would be good for the Spurs to stay put. They could even move up a few spots in the second round.

samikeyp
05-14-2009, 12:27 PM
With 37 you can take an international player with a bad contract,

This is where my question comes from in that international players thread I had previously.

How does this help the Spurs and since the Spurs do have needs, why not try to address them with this pick?

TIA

Solid D
05-14-2009, 01:12 PM
This is where my question comes from in that international players thread I had previously.

How does this help the Spurs and since the Spurs do have needs, why not try to address them with this pick?

TIA

Stockpiling 2nd round rights to players for the future has been the way the Spurs have operated since Pop took over the team. The past 3 years, or so, it hasn't worked out well to do this with international players because of the financial benefits to play in Europe.

The Spurs apparently noticed this a couple of years ago and created a new position, Dir. of College Player Personnel, and hired George Felton.

Now the Spurs are either trading their picks, or parlaying them into US college talent. Fewer Karaulovs and Javtokas' in the 2nd and more Malk Hairstons, James Gists, and Marcus Williams'.

2nd round international picks is a much bigger roll of the dice, so it helps the Spurs more now to trade the pick or draft a college player who fell to the 2nd round or was overlooked. Just don't expect immediate results unless you can get real fortunate i.e. Big Baby Davis or like last season's 37th pick, Luc Mbah a Moute.

Marcus Bryant
05-14-2009, 02:28 PM

TIA

They'd use the 37 on an international talent who can't get out of his contract this summer if he would be available next summer when they will have enough cap flexibility to put together a nice offer. Yes, playing the waiting game doesn't seem appealing, but if you can get mid-1st round talent at 37, it is worth considering.

Solid D
05-14-2009, 04:54 PM
They'd use the 37 on an international talent who can't get out of his contract this summer if he would be available next summer when they will have enough cap flexibility to put together a nice offer. Yes, playing the waiting game doesn't seem appealing, but if you can get mid-1st round talent at 37, it is worth considering.

The trouble is finding an international talent nowadays that isn't already committed to a team for at least a couple of years...and with a bulky buy-out.

Marcus, I just don't see the Spurs going that way unless the player is available now or unless the Spurs are going to trade the rights.

Bruno
05-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Spurs workout schedule :

May 16th:
Joe Ingles (SF)
Alex Ruoff (SG)
Jermaine Taylor (SG)

May 17th:
Tyler Smith (SF)
Jeremy Pargo (PG)

May 18th:
Courtney Fells (SG)
Ben Woodside (PG)

May 19th:
Leo Lyons (PF)

May 20th:
Dionte Christmas(SG)

Date unknown:
Nic wise (PG)
Kyle McAlarney (PG)

duncan228
05-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Spurs workout schedule :

Thanks.

Marcus Bryant
05-15-2009, 05:20 PM
The trouble is finding an international talent nowadays that isn't already committed to a team for at least a couple of years...and with a bulky buy-out.

Marcus, I just don't see the Spurs going that way unless the player is available now or unless the Spurs are going to trade the rights.

Who was the last 2nd rounder to make the rotation in his rookie season?

Solid D
05-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Who was the last 2nd rounder to make the rotation in his rookie season?

Luis Scola? :smokin

If you mean who was the last 2nd rounder to make the rotation in his rookie season for the Spurs, then I believe it would be Ginobili. This actually supports the reason for my original premise in this thread. That premise is:

Whoever the Spurs draft, we shouldn't expect immediate impact. You can't even do that with 1st round picks. Immediate impact will have to come via trade and free agency. Now, if the Spurs can cash-in their chips from prior drafts with Mahinmi or Marcus Williams, it would be nothing short of amazing, if not unbelievable.

...and a follow-up post

Just don't expect immediate results unless you can get real fortunate i.e. Big Baby Davis or like last season's 37th pick, Luc Mbah a Moute.

Marcus Bryant
05-15-2009, 05:47 PM
But what if that 2nd rounder was available in a year instead of three?

Solid D
05-15-2009, 05:56 PM
If the Spurs could control the free market negotiations with the player in a year, when he is free to sign with the Spurs...or someone else in Europe or Asia...then sure, draft that guy at #37. Omri Casspi is a common name bandied about. I'm not sure if he is a 1st-year rotation guy.

The trouble is controlling the negotiations process and enticing the player to play in the best pro league in the world versus signing a lucrative long-term deal playing under the international rules and dimensions they are most comfortable with.

Bruno
05-15-2009, 07:19 PM
I've posted the workout list in the first post. I will update it when I get new workouts info. :)

Spurs_9_20_21
05-15-2009, 07:43 PM
id really like if we could package 51, 53, and an expiring contract, perhaps Bonner to move into the late 1st round. Then we draft SF Sam Young.

With #37 we draft G/F Danny Green

Now onto FA.....hopefully Finley doesn't exercise his player option and decides to move on....we re-sign Gooden and Hairston. We sign Gist and either Williams or Sanikidze.

C - Ian, Thomas
PF - Duncan, Gooden, Gist
SF - Bowen, Young, Sanikidze/Williams
SG - Mason, Manu, Green
PG - Parker, Hill, Hairston

We would need to find one more big for the end of the bench, but our lineup would go from one of the oldest and slowest, to one of the youngest, fastest, and very athletic in just one year.

Also, with Hill, Hairston, Manu, Green, Bowen, and Young...we definitely would have a plethora of perimeter defensive options.
I like where you're going with this! Just ONE question....why do you have Hairston at the point? I thought he plays SG.

Spurs Brazil
05-17-2009, 04:19 PM
Six Teams Will Attend Rockets' Draft Workout
May 17, 2009 3:55 PM EST
The Blazers, Celtics, Grizzles, Heat, Spurs and Timberwolves are among teams attending a draft workout held by the Rockets this weekend.

The NBA instituted a new rule recently that allows teams to attend workouts hosted by other clubs as long as the costs are shared.

The workout in Houston will include about 40 players, predominantly college seniors.

"It's marginal guys, second-round guys that may be drafted," said an NBA source about the workout. "It's a way to save money and utilize the rule that allows other teams to come."

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/59229/20090517/six_teams_will_attend_rockets_draft_workout/

Chieflion
05-18-2009, 06:12 AM
I like where you're going with this! Just ONE question....why do you have Hairston at the point? I thought he plays SG.
When Mason is playing point for the Spurs, anything can happen.

mountainballer
05-19-2009, 04:44 AM
a report from the Raptors workout from last week.

http://www.hooplife.ca/raptorshq/viewHQArticle.php?id=701

There was no Robert Dozier, whose flight out of Carolina was cancelled, but the group included Australian big-man Joe Ingles, Temple guard Dionte Christmas, Michigan defensive stopper Jevohn Shepherd, Durham College attendee Anthony Batchelor, North Carolina alum Danny Green and the center piece of the workout, Louisville uber-athlete Terrence Williams.

I wonder about this point: the only pick the Raptors own this draft is the #9. but all this players (except Williams) are projected late 1st or 2nd rounders and #9 would likely be to high for Williams either. I guess we will see some trade down moves from Colangelo.

Bruno
05-19-2009, 05:48 AM
I wonder about this point: the only pick the Raptors own this draft is the #9. but all this players (except Williams) are projected late 1st or 2nd rounders and #9 would likely be to high for Williams either. I guess we will see some trade down moves from Colangelo.

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=279147

The Raptors GM hasn't been shy about making moves on draft day, and could do the same this year.

"After the obvious top four or five picks, it's pretty wide open so a couple of our targeted players might even be on the board later in the round," Colangelo said. "Thus we might consider obtaining another pick if one becomes available."

mountainballer
05-19-2009, 06:17 AM
hmm. the Wolves would make a pretty logical partner for such a move.
Raptors deal #9 for #18 plus #28 plus something else (2nd rounders? future picks).
why the Wolves would do it? this draft may be weak overall, but it seems as if there will be some decent guard quality in the lottery. no stars, but potential starter guys. and that's the area where the Wolves do need help.
the#9 pick will be good enough for a player out of the Jennings, Lawson, Flynn, Evans, Henderson, Curry, DeRozan group and each of those would make sense for the Wolves.

Bruno
05-19-2009, 07:21 AM
hmm. the Wolves would make a pretty logical partner for such a move.
Raptors deal #9 for #18 plus #28 plus something else (2nd rounders? future picks).

Well, Colangelo is more saying that they will keep the #9 and try to get another pick.
I've heard for months that this draft sucks. So I guess a lot of teams could trade their mid to late first round pick for future pick and/or cash.

It's also true for Spurs. If they really like someone who will be picked before #37, moving up should be less difficult than in previous years.

mountainballer
05-19-2009, 08:13 AM
true, there will be some picks on the market, just for cash.
this draft for sure isn't the most attractive, but I still don't buy the whole crap class talks, just because of the lack of obvious star power.
there will be some useful role players, as every year and some hidden gems. it looks a bit like 2001. (not a bad year in the Spurs draft history)

mountainballer
05-20-2009, 03:19 AM
so Clippers get #1 and sure fire will pick Griffin.
even if there are some reports, they might still think about Rubio. forget it, Griffin will fit great alongside Gordon and Al Thornton.

but I wonder about Rubio. he knows he will very likely go to Memphis and I do wonder if this makes him think about withdrawing. ok, they have Gasol, but the way they treated JCN was quite a story in Spain and they are a pathetic franchise overall. horrible FO, a coach, who didn't win anything in his coaching career, they already have a dominat youn player in the back court, a small market and a city that doesn't exactly shine when you are a kid from Barcelona.
(for those who have never been to Barcelona: this city is so great, absolutely my favourite city in Europe. if you leave this place, I'm sure you don't want to end up in Memphis.)

mountainballer
05-20-2009, 07:28 AM
Lee Cummard has worked out for the Spurs. and I already thought they didn't invite a single big.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=498&sid=6538962
Cummard was listed as a late first- to mid-second round pick for much of the college season, and he still has his supporters who see his value remaining in that range. He has already had some NBA workouts (Cummard was in San Antonio to display his talents for Spurs' brass this past weekend), but it may not be until his workout tour has concluded that we get a better idea of his true draft prospects.

Bruno
05-20-2009, 07:40 AM
Lee Cummard has worked out for the Spurs. and I already thought they didn't invite a single big.

Leo Lyons has worked out for Spurs but among the 14 players known to have worked out for Spurs, only 1 is a big.

mountainballer
05-20-2009, 07:46 AM
Cummard and "big" in one sentence was more thought as irony.

Bruno
05-21-2009, 04:57 AM
http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#NBA-Draft-Roundup-May-20-3224

A number of teams are already reportedly sending out feelers indicating that they would like to acquire a pick in the late first round—including the San Antonio Spurs, Houston Rockets and Toronto Raptors. A few teams that are rumored to be looking to trade or sell their picks are the Oklahoma City Thunder (#25), Minnesota Timberwolves (#28) and New Orleans Hornets (#21).

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-21-2009, 05:07 AM
Interesting. We can't know the credibility of this information, but I'd be very surprised if the Spurs move into the late first round territory. First of all they'd be forced to add guaranteed salary ( unless they draft an internation player there, but who? ) and then judging by the players they've invited to workouts it'd be difficult to say whether any of them could be a viable option there. Picks 15-30 seem pretty blurry.

Bruno, if we assume the Spurs are looking for a late first round pick, who do yuou think they might possibly be interested in? My guess would be some international player, Claver or Casspi, who would not be signed immediately.

Bruno
05-21-2009, 05:31 AM
Bruno, if we assume the Spurs are looking for a late first round pick, who do yuou think they might possibly be interested in? My guess would be some international player, Claver or Casspi, who would not be signed immediately.

Claver and Casspi seems to be good bets for Spurs late first target. We will see if they stay in this draft or pull out from the draft.

I would be quite surprised if Spurs move up in the first to draft a guard while they have Parker, Ginobili, Hill and Mason. Their target could be a college SF or PF like Sam Young or Gani Lawal.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-21-2009, 05:44 AM
Claver and Casspi seems to be good bets for Spurs late first target. We will see if they stay in this draft or pull out from the draft.

I would be quite surprised if Spurs move up in the first to draft a guard while they have Parker, Ginobili, Hill and Mason. Their target could be a college SF or PF like Sam Young or Gani Lawal.

Seems logical, but it is unlikely Claver or Casspi to be picked in the late first round because of their buyout issues. My guess would be that teams who target them should be looking for early 2nd round picks, rather than late 1st round ones, that's why I was surprised to read this information. To me the Spurs are much more likely to trade picks 37 and 51 for pick 33 ( just an example ) if they are targeting international payers.

Bruno
05-21-2009, 05:55 AM
Seems logical, but it is unlikely Claver or Casspi to be picked in the late first round because of their buyout issues.

If you don't have a buyout issue, a late first round pick contract and its guaranteed money isn't that bad.

IIRC, Casspi wanted to have a first round promise to stay in the draft last year.
I guess he has a small buyout and would be fine with a late first round pick contract.

Claver should pull out of the draft. He has been injured most of the year and his draft stock should be significantly higher in 2010 if he stays healthy.

rascal
05-21-2009, 06:05 AM
so Clippers get #1 and sure fire will pick Griffin.
even if there are some reports, they might still think about Rubio. forget it, Griffin will fit great alongside Gordon and Al Thornton.

but I wonder about Rubio. he knows he will very likely go to Memphis and I do wonder if this makes him think about withdrawing. ok, they have Gasol, but the way they treated JCN was quite a story in Spain and they are a pathetic franchise overall. horrible FO, a coach, who didn't win anything in his coaching career, they already have a dominat youn player in the back court, a small market and a city that doesn't exactly shine when you are a kid from Barcelona.
(for those who have never been to Barcelona: this city is so great, absolutely my favourite city in Europe. if you leave this place, I'm sure you don't want to end up in Memphis.)

They sould not take Rubio. He will be a bust. Take the center out of UConn.
They can use some size and defensive presence.

loveforthegame
05-21-2009, 11:13 AM
If true then I would hope the Spurs are looking at a sf/pf out of college intead of another international player that might not come this year or next.

mountainballer
05-22-2009, 06:24 AM
Greivis Vasquez has worked pout for the Spurs. another combo guard. I can't help, but so many guards (most known for their offense and 3pt shooting) makes me think they focus on players, who could take the Mason role. Vasquez, Calathes, Christmas, Taylor. maybe the Spurs already look for a successor for Mason for 2010, or even a replacement? (mason as trade bait this summer?) this names all look as if they are seen as good fit alongside Hill.
(if they focus on players with such a profile, they would also have their eyes on De Colo and for sure on Sergio Llull)

http://washingtontimes.com/weblogs/d1scourse/2009/may/21/vasquez-completes-workout/
That last item was Vasquez's primary talking point throughout his chat with reporters, to the tune of probably eight or nine mentions (I'll transcribe the whole thing later). He will be at the pre-draft camp in Chicago next week, and also has a workout scheduled with Minnesota (he previously worked out for Cleveland and San Antonio).

wildbill2u
05-22-2009, 07:12 PM
37 actually isn't too bad. If the Spurs had a pick at the end of the first round, there's a decent chance they would have traded it to save money in 2010. With 37 you can take an international player with a bad contract, you can trade up or you can take a domestic talent and give him a one-year audition.

At 37, it'll have to be best player available but it'd be nice to get a swingman. Having that drafted swingman compete with Hairston and Williams for a spot in the rotation could be a good plan.

There are several intriguing Euro PF/SFs available aroung that spot depending on how the draft goes. Drasic, Jer (the swedish guy) and Casspi. We ought to get one of them.

spursballer21
05-24-2009, 10:05 AM
ok this is the best thing the spurs can do to get young and talented gems in the second round with the 37 pick draft draft victor claver great size could play pf/sf,with the 51 pick danny green or damion james but preferably danny green both can make impact,and with the 53 pick greivis vasquez can shoot 3's and drive in the lane to kinda reminds me of manu ginobili,and last but not least should buy or trade a player to get a 1st round pick from Oklahoma City Thunder (#25), Minnesota Timberwolves (#28) and New Orleans Hornets (#21 either one so they could secure a 1st round pick for omri casspi since he wants to be picked in the 1st round.With all those players they can make impact and we would turn into one of the youngest and fastests rosters.And some can replace the big 3 when they get older.
victor claver 37 http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Victor-Claver-336/
danny greene 51 http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Danny-Green-504/
damion james51 http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Damion-James-1074/
greivis vasquez 53 http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Greivis-Vasquez-1133/
omri casspi 1st round pick http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Omri-Casspi-538/

lurker23
05-25-2009, 10:46 PM
Just as an aside, for a draft class that is supposedly "not very deep," there sure do seem to be a lot of intriguing prospects out there that could fall into the second round. Forget conventional wisdom, if the Spurs do their scouting, they might be able to find a couple players that fit really well.

mountainballer
05-26-2009, 10:54 AM
ok this is the best thing the spurs can do to get young and talented gems in the second round with the 37 pick draft draft victor claver great size could play pf/sf,with the 51 pick danny green or damion james but preferably danny green both can make impact,and with the 53 pick greivis vasquez can shoot 3's and drive in the lane to kinda reminds me of manu ginobili,and last but not least should buy or trade a player to get a 1st round pick from Oklahoma City Thunder (#25), Minnesota Timberwolves (#28) and New Orleans Hornets (#21 either one so they could secure a 1st round pick for omri casspi since he wants to be picked in the 1st round.With all those players they can make impact and we would turn into one of the youngest and fastests rosters.And some can replace the big 3 when they get older.
victor claver 37 http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Victor-Claver-336/
danny greene 51 http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Danny-Green-504/
damion james51 http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Damion-James-1074/
greivis vasquez 53 http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Greivis-Vasquez-1133/
omri casspi 1st round pick http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Omri-Casspi-538/

Claver just re signed for 3 years in Spain.
Green will be a late 1st rounder or high 2nd rounder.
James won't bring in what also Gist does and Gist has more upside
Vasquez is a nice option for the later picks.
so, in the current situation Green with #37 and Vasquez with #51 would be the best case considering your list.

Bruno
05-26-2009, 07:04 PM
The draft combine start on Thursday. We should have all the measurement results early next week.

The participant list :
http://www.nba.com/jazz/news/2009draft_combinelist.html

mountainballer
05-27-2009, 05:53 AM
Beaubois and Casspi are the only Euro guys. that's a bit disappointing, I would have been very interesting how for example Macvan in fact measures. or Dasic and Jerebko.
Casspi in comparison to the college kids will be interesting. he is pretty athletic, but can he compete with athletes like Earl Clark, Sam Young and Tyler Smith?

Bruno
05-27-2009, 06:01 AM
Beaubois and Casspi are the only Euro guys. that's a bit disappointing, I would have been very interesting how for example Macvan in fact measures. or Dasic and Jerebko.

Jerebko and Dasic have been measured last year at the Treviso camp:
http://www.nbadraft.net/node/1113

mountainballer
05-27-2009, 08:07 AM
Jerebko and Dasic have been measured last year at the Treviso camp:
http://www.nbadraft.net/node/1113

great, thanks. (sometimes it's a mistake to ignore nbadraft.net)
either Dasic and Jerebko measured quite impressive. Jerebko even better than I would have expected. so both would be listed in the NBA at 6'10''. and they both have a standing reach of 9' and slightly under 7' wingspan. that's very good for a SF, especially since both would likely get more of a defensive role in the NBA.

Blackjack
05-28-2009, 03:06 AM
http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/05/28/draft-combine-coverage/#more-2958

Blackjack
05-29-2009, 12:43 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/

The measurements are in.

Bruno
05-29-2009, 01:19 PM

The measurements are in.

Nice, it comes fast this year.

With Casspi, Jerebko and Dasic, Spurs have 3 euro options for the SF spot at 6'9" or more.
OTOH, Sam Young, Danny Green and Tyler Smith are quite small.

benefactor
05-29-2009, 01:39 PM
Dejuan Blair with the 7'2 wingspan and 8'10.5 standing reach...at only 6'6.5.
:wow

benefactor
05-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Nice, it comes fast this year.

With Casspi, Jerebko and Dasic, Spurs have 3 euro options for the SF spot at 6'9" or more.
OTOH, Sam Young, Danny Green and Tyler Smith are quite small.
I don't think Young would have a lot of problems guarding bigger players at the next level. Though Casspi is taller, Young has the better wingspan and their standing reach is pretty close.

Bruno
05-29-2009, 03:30 PM
http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=19647176#p19647176

I'm going to post a DX article later about it (or Jonathan will), but it's worth noting that they measured everyone ultra early (6:30 am or something), and that the guys who measured both this year and last year are measuring out a half inch taller this year (if you measure later in the day your spine compresses and you lose a little height).

I guess the right way to compare these measurement to previous years ones is to remove .5" to this year ones.

Blackjack
05-29-2009, 06:58 PM
What’s the Point?

Everyone is pretty upbeat about the Combine, but one constant question from many of the people here, including the players, is what’s the point of holding a Combine without scimmages? You can only learn so much from watching guys run around cones.

I just bumped into Omri Casspi again and he echoed the familiar sentiment. “I’d rather play one-on-one or three-on-three,” he commented. Why not a full-on five-on-five scrimmage? “The problem is that everyone is trying to prove themselves. If we played five-on-five, some guys wouldn’t pass.”

When you get this many people together the conversation can go in a lot of directions. It’s striking that so many conversations are about how guys fared in interviews and not necessarily about how they drilled.

Don’t get me wrong. There is plenty of talk about drill times, vertical leaps, and all that. Danny Green, for example, measured longer than expected. Luke Harangody, who outbenched everyone here, is being called Matt Bonner with muscle. DeJuan Blair is short. Terrance Williams can really jump. DeMar DeRozan looks fluid. You hear these things. (Green, by the way, worked out for San Antonio and Harangody interviewed with them last night.)

But you also hear plenty of stuff about how players carry themselves, how they account for past mistakes, whether or not they can maintain a conversation without texting. Teams take notes. A well-connected source who had read my recent post about Vladimir Dasic pulled me aside to say that many teams wouldn’t touch him because he was “not all there.” Otherwise, I was told, he’d project much higher. Too much risk.

Still, for as helpful as interviews and psychological profiles and reliable measurements can be, almost everyone here would just rather play.

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/05/29/whats-the-point/

Blackjack
05-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Sam Young, Danny Green and Tyler Smith are quite small.

It might just be a matter of perception.

Jerry Stackhouse and Vince Carter measured 6' 4.5" and 6' 5.5"(without shoes) respectively.

I think too often we see a 2-guard and think 6' 6" or a center and think 6' 11"/7', but it's usually an inflated number that we've just come to accept.

If you follow that link I left for the pre-draft measurements and look at the history, you might find it a little bit easier to get a better point of reference.:toast

Blackjack
05-29-2009, 07:35 PM

Yeah, I knew he had long arms but that was pretty eye-opening.

Summers' measurements were also pretty impressive.

wildbill2u
05-30-2009, 03:18 PM
What’s the Point?

Everyone is pretty upbeat about the Combine, but one constant question from many of the people here, including the players, is what’s the point of holding a Combine without scimmages? You can only learn so much from watching guys run around cones.

I just bumped into Omri Casspi again and he echoed the familiar sentiment. “I’d rather play one-on-one or three-on-three,” he commented. Why not a full-on five-on-five scrimmage? “The problem is that everyone is trying to prove themselves. If we played five-on-five, some guys wouldn’t pass.”

When you get this many people together the conversation can go in a lot of directions. It’s striking that so many conversations are about how guys fared in interviews and not necessarily about how they drilled.

Don’t get me wrong. There is plenty of talk about drill times, vertical leaps, and all that. Danny Green, for example, measured longer than expected. Luke Harangody, who outbenched everyone here, is being called Matt Bonner with muscle. DeJuan Blair is short. Terrance Williams can really jump. DeMar DeRozan looks fluid. You hear these things. (Green, by the way, worked out for San Antonio and Harangody interviewed with them last night.)

But you also hear plenty of stuff about how players carry themselves, how they account for past mistakes, whether or not they can maintain a conversation without texting. Teams take notes. A well-connected source who had read my recent post about Vladimir Dasic pulled me aside to say that many teams wouldn’t touch him because he was “not all there.” Otherwise, I was told, he’d project much higher. Too much risk.

Still, for as helpful as interviews and psychological profiles and reliable measurements can be, almost everyone here would just rather play.

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/05/29/whats-the-point/

"not all there" could easily be misdirection to start a rumor about his character if you really want the guy.

I say that if he could project much higher take him and worry about there not being any there, there later.

As I recall, Rodman wasn't all there either but the guy could ball. At least This kid doesnt project as though he's an alien from Alderan.

At this level of the draft, you draft and pray anyway.

wildbill2u
05-30-2009, 03:20 PM

He is actually Romain Sato in a Blair suit, back for another shot at the draft.

Size matters no matter how long your arms are.

Bruno
06-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Athletic testing results are now available:

benefactor
06-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Luke Harangody is one strong white boy. Green's bench was pretty impressive too for him being only 208.

benefactor
06-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Dante Cunningham....6'8, 227lbs, 4.8% body fat. Dude is friggin ripped.

mountainballer
06-02-2009, 05:25 PM
Green's bench was pretty impressive too for him being only 208.

yes, but I think Green's sprint and agility time are a bit disappointing, considering he is expected to become a defensive stopper in the NBA.

very impressive overall was Derrick Brown. grood size for a SF (if he can play SF of course), fantastic wingspan, good sprint and leaping ability and better than most bigs on the bench.

the other pretty surprising player was Pendergraph. nice size for a PF and pretty good athletic numbers. especially his sprint time was fantastic for a big man. not bad for a guy who was usually labeled as just average athlete.

and Hansgrough's numbers also were not bad for an "undersized, unatheltic, white stiff". I think the predraft combine will help his stock a lot. he should climb to mid first round.

benefactor
06-02-2009, 05:35 PM
yes, but I think Green's sprint and agility time are a bit disappointing, considering he is expected to become a defensive stopper in the NBA.
Yeah...not great but not really horrible either. Sam Young is said to be a good defender also but scored pretty low. Defensive instincts play just as big of a role. All things considered he still isn't a bad second round prospect.

A real surprising one is Joe Ingles. His lane agility test is as good or better then a lot of the guards. DX has us taking him with our last pick. If he is as mobile as the test shows then I agree with them.

benefactor
06-02-2009, 06:45 PM
and Hansgrough's numbers also were not bad for an "undersized, unatheltic, white stiff". I think the predraft combine will help his stock a lot. he should climb to mid first round.
I noticed this too. Very solid numbers for a player his size. His speed drills were almost identical to Budinger's...who is almost 30lbs lighter than him. He is strong too with 18 reps on the bench.

benefactor
06-02-2009, 07:05 PM
very impressive overall was Derrick Brown. grood size for a SF (if he can play SF of course), fantastic wingspan, good sprint and leaping ability and better than most bigs on the bench.
Just bumped the thread....:tu

Blackjack
06-03-2009, 07:47 PM
Some interesting tidbits:

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#DX-Podcast---NBA-Combine-Recap--Eurocamp-Preview-3243

• Detroit, Oklahoma City Talking Trade?

With the Detroit Pistons looking to get as far under the salary cap as they can this summer, and the Oklahoma City Thunder being one of the few teams who are able to help them shed salary, the two teams have emerged as natural trade partners, multiple NBA sources told DraftExpress this past weekend.

With very few teams projected to have cap space this summer (Oklahoma City, Memphis, Portland, Sacramento and Atlanta being the main ones), it appears that Detroit could be in great position to take advantage of the strength of this free agent class and nab a couple of pieces that would put them right back in the mix to compete for the Eastern conference finals. Detroit is currently slated to be around 20 million dollars underneath the cap, but could shed another five million or so by unloading the contracts of Amir Johnson and their first round pick (#15).

Enter the Oklahoma City Thunder. They are reportedly high on B.J. Mullens (as is Milwaukee), and likely would be able to nab him with the 15th pick. Considering how far under the cap they’ll be this summer, they would have no problem taking on Amir Johnson’s expiring 3.66 million dollar contract. They should be able to find a suitor for their late first round pick if they choose to do so, as teams like San Antonio, Houston, Toronto and Orlando are all in the market for a draft choice in that range.
With the money Detroit frees up, they could go after their top two free agent targets, rumored to be Paul Millsap and Ben Gordon.

mystargtr34
06-03-2009, 07:54 PM
I think the biggest winner from the measurements might be Tyler Hansbrough. He actually has really good size, AND athleticism.

I think its his overall skill level that will limit him as a player.

Mr. Body
06-04-2009, 04:16 AM
Just as an aside, for a draft class that is supposedly "not very deep," there sure do seem to be a lot of intriguing prospects out there that could fall into the second round. Forget conventional wisdom, if the Spurs do their scouting, they might be able to find a couple players that fit really well.

I don't know what intriguing prospects you're talking about.

mountainballer
06-04-2009, 08:12 AM
to not lose overview I just do a summery (by position) about the reported work outs:
(plus their projected draft position)

Jeremy Pargo (PG) - undrafted
Ben Woodside (PG)- undrafted
Nic wise (PG) - undrafted
Kyle McAlarney (PG) - undrafted
Curtis Jerrells (PG) - undrafted
Rodrigue Beaubois (PG) - 30 to 40
Greivis Vasquez (PG/SG) - 2nd round bubble
Lester Hudson (PG/SG) - 45 to 60
Nick Calathes (PG/SG) - 1st round bubble
Jack McClinton (PG/SG) - 2nd round bubble

Alex Ruoff (SG) - undrafted
Jermaine Taylor (SG) - 31 to 45
Donald Sloan (SG) - undrafted
Courtney Fells (SG) - undrafted
Dionte Christmas(SG) - 2nd round
Danny Green (SG/SF) - 31 to 45
Chase Bundinger (SG/SF) only interview - 15 to 30

Lee Cummard (SF) - 2nd round bubble
Joe Ingles (SF) - 2nd round
Tyler Smith (SF) - 2nd round

Leo Lyons (PF) - 2nd round bubble
DeMarre Carroll - (PF) - 2nd round
Dwayne Collins (PF) - undrafted
Robert Dozier (PF) - undrafted
Damion James (PF) - 1st round bubble
Dante Cunningham (PF) - 2nd round bubble
Jeff Adrien (PF) - undrafted
Goran Suton (PF) - undrafted
Luke Harandogy (PF) only interview - 2nd round bubble
DaJuan Blair (PF/C) only interview - lottery bubble

that's 30 players. quite an impressive number. and this shouldn't be all.
I would be very surprised (and disappointed), if the Spurs didn't work out Derrick Brown and Jeff Pendergraph.
except Budinger and Blair all of them are realistic options with the Spurs 2nd round picks.
I guess many of them are not considered possible draft targets. maybe Spurs just take a look for their SL roster.

mountainballer
06-04-2009, 08:43 AM
word is Dionte Christmas has outplayed higher ranked players in the GS multi team work out. (Terrence Williams, Chase Budinger, Darren Collison, Austin Daye, Patrick Mills)

and Omri Casspi was the best player in a workout in Minny including Eric Devendorf, Danny Green, Daniel Hackett, BJ Mullens, Luke Nevill, Austin Daye, Jeff Teague, Gani Lawal, Darren Collison, AJ Price, Dante Cunningham, Chinemelu Elonu .

Bruno
06-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Nice work mountainballer.
Listing workout players by spot makes more sense than by date (even more when the date is unknown for a big part of the players).

Bruno
06-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Spurs have also participated at two group workouts (in Houston and in Golden State).

Bruno
06-04-2009, 01:06 PM
The Treviso Eurocamp start tomorrow and end on Monday.

Schedule: http://www.reebokeurocamp.com/page.php?pid=68
Participants: http://www.reebokeurocamp.com/page.php?pid=71

A lot of interesting players. :tu
I hope measurement will be made public (like last year).

wildbill2u
06-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Alade Aminu has worked out for the Spurs. 21 yo 6'10 and relatively unknown PF that has been off the radar at Ga. Tech since they don't use a system that plays to his strengths such as pick and roll. Runs well for big man. Former track guy.

Says he can be a Chris Anderson type of player.

loveforthegame
06-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Alade Aminu has worked out for the Spurs. 21 yo 6'10 and relatively unknown PF that has been off the radar at Ga. Tech since they don't use a system that plays to his strengths such as pick and roll. Runs well for big man. Former track guy.

Says he can be a Chris Anderson type of player.

Draft Express has us taking him with the 53rd pick.

Biggems
06-06-2009, 10:22 PM
would anyone be ok with this draft?

37 - SF/PF Derrick Brown - Xavier - 6'8 225

51 - SF Jonas Jerebko - Sweden - 6'9 210

53 - PF Ahmad Nivins - St. Joseph's - 6'9 235

mookie2001
06-07-2009, 11:28 PM
marcus you should unstick, unlock a bunch of these threads, make this forum a little more poster friendly

mountainballer
06-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Jack McClinton (PG/SG) has worked out for the Spurs.
another 3pt shooting combo guard.

Bruno
06-08-2009, 06:48 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/steve_aschburner/06/08/draft.process/

As NBA draft grows increasingly specialized, uncertainty remains

Steve Aschburner

At its most elemental, the NBA draft is all about finding the right pegs to plug into the various teams' round holes.

Only there's nothing elemental about it anymore. The draft is big business, a multi-million dollar enterprise responsible for seeding talent into the NBA's multi-billion, international operation, while inspiring a fleet of services, publications and careers dedicated to the once-a-year roundup of pro prospects not just nationally but globally. Broadcast live around the world, bigger than big, the draft is as famous now for a culture all its own -- Look at what Joakim Noah's wearing! Did you see the look on Mom's face when her son got picked by the Clippers?! OK, time for Knicks fans to boo! Who's going to be the last guy left in the green room? -- as it is for matching young hires with their new employers in one of the world's most glamorous job fairs.

Still, it's not entirely removed from the playground, where you'd pick five, I'd pick five and the 11th kid would cry and face a lifetime of expensive therapy. There is, for instance, the game of tug o' war that has been added through the years in the run-up each June to the draft. Teams want to poke, prod and learn as much as possible about each player before committing a high pick and vast sums of money to his uncertain NBA future. Agents prefer to sell the proverbial pig in a poke.

"As long as there's a blank canvas, you can dream pretty big," San Antonio general manager R.C. Buford told me last week, when he attended a group workout of late-first-round-or-somewhere-in-the-second prospects in Minneapolis. "The more you fill that canvas, the more complete the evaluation becomes. Whether it's positive, negative or otherwise. If I start with a picture, and Picasso starts with a picture and they're both blank, they look the same. When you see his paint on it and my paint on it, you'll be able to determine who the painter is."

Having both eyes on the same side of one's head, in the NBA, is not a good thing. Some franchises still are figuring that out.

The power of players' agents is just one of myriad changes in the approach and execution of the NBA draft from its inception until now. In its infancy, each club's general manager had a few round pegs within easy reach -- the league recognized "territorial rights" to certain players, allowing a team to court fans by grabbing local or regional favorites while forfeiting its first-round pick. That's how Overbrook High's Wilt Chamberlain came home to Philadelphia in 1959, Ohio State's Jerry Lucas went to Cincinnati in '62 and, er, Michigan's Bill Buntin wound up in Detroit in '65.

Starting in '66, the league went traditional, with teams selecting in inverse order of their records and the last-place finishers in the two divisions (later conferences) flipped a coin for the right to pick No. 1. The first few unlucky teams did OK -- Detroit called tails, lost and got Dave Bing anyway, while Baltimore landed Earl Monroe and Wes Unseld with No. 2 picks in '67 and '68, respectively. But Phoenix guessed heads in '69, the coin showed tails and the Suns selected hirsute Florida big man Neal Walk a few sad moments after Milwaukee took Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) off the board.

Expansion meant more non-playoff qualifiers, more teams willing to backpedal late in the regular season for a 50-50 shot at the nation's best collegian. The Houston Rockets were suspected of that in '84 when they positioned themselves for No. 1 draftee Hakeem Olajuwon 12 months after landing Ralph Sampson with '83's top pick. The NBA countered with the first draft lottery in '85, hoping to thwart similar moves in what many considered a bigger sweepstakes for Patrick Ewing, but giving birth to a new strain of conspiracy theories (think envelopes, hopper, dry ice, New York Knicks). The lottery got tweaked more than once after that -- and Orlando's luck in scoring the first picks in '92 and '93 -- in noble but still unsatisfying attempts to find the perfect system.

The draft's format has changed through the years to something more streamlined and slickly packaged. Initially, it lasted as long as a any team wanted to continue picking; in '73, the Buffalo Braves and the Boston Celtics pushed it out to 20 rounds, making 12 of the last 19 picks after most teams had gone home. The next year, the NBA imposed a 10-round limit that lasted until '85, when the draft was reduced to seven rounds, then three ('88), then the current two ('89).

The presentation has changed dramatically, too, from a telephone conference call to a backroom meeting in New York to a live event staged for prime time, rotated for several years to various league venues as if it were All-Star Weekend. The draft has been back in New York since 2000, still a showcase that -- with the lottery each May -- tries to stoke NBA interest in markets whose teams have fallen by the playoff wayside.

More than any structural, cosmetic or marketing changes, though, the scope of draft preparation has expanded as the event, and the stakes it represents for franchises valued at $300 million or more, have grown. Tales of great players falling through the cracks or going underscouted are legion and even amusing, a little quaint -- after their careers are over. Willis Reed, Nate Archibald, Gilbert Arenas and Rashard Lewis lasting until the second round? Eleven teams passing on Karl Malone after Ewing went first in '85, followed by three more (including Dallas twice) passing on Joe Dumars? Seattle picking Central Arkansas' Scottie Pippen at No. 5 for Chicago GM Jerry Krause in '87, immediately swapping him for No. 8 Olden Polynice and minor considerations long forgotten? Great stories, but not so great for the less savvy or less fortunate teams to endure.

No one wants to make a mistake, same as always. Only now, mistakes are measured in seven and eight figures rather than five or six. And with foreign pools of talent to tap, bad decisions or lack of preparation can expose personnel departments on a multinational stage.

Scouts who used to be sent mostly to the major NCAA conferences and to independents now have to hit the minor conferences, Division II and lower schools and junior colleges. For 11 years, from '95 until the NBA made prep players ineligible after '05, they had to fight for bleacher seats in tiny high school gyms. Meanwhile, the level of overseas scouting was ramped up, either from true interest or just self-preservation.

"As the number of players qualified to play in the NBA has gone from one to 80," Buford said, "you've had to make decisions: How much do you want to scout it, and how much do you want to play with those types of players? They don't fit with every coach, in every system."

Tell that to your fans, though, when Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker, picked 57th and 28th in their respective drafts, fit in just fine with the Spurs.

So draft prep work has changed, which is not the same as evolved. The process is more vast, with way more data -- think terabytes of information, not reams -- at evaluators' fingertips. Everything is televised, recorded, cataloged, maybe even YouTubed. Prospects get scrutinized, analyzed and brain-typed. Let's not forget search-enginged, either.

"The last 20 years, everybody's always done the psychology tests, the background checks," new Washington Wizards coach Flip Saunders said. "But now you know more about players because of the Internet. You can Google a kid, find out if he's been in any article in any paper, for any trouble. You can find out so many things now."

Even then you're kept guessing in other ways. For two decades, the top 32 senior prospects were invited to the Aloha Classic postseason camp in Honolulu, a must-see for every NBA team; Kevin McHale's draft stock rose when he was MVP there in '80, Pippen got noticed as an all-tournament pick in '87, the camp's last year of existence. That event was moved to Orlando, with similar pre-draft camps held in Chicago and Portsmouth, Va. But the talent level began to slip as agents advised their clients to not participate, lest they have a bad game or suffer an injury with the draft approaching.

"Everybody played then. Now they don't play," said Randy Wittman, the No. 22 pick by Washington in '83, traded that summer to Indiana but back finally as a Wizards assistant. "Back then, even if you were the consensus No. 1, you were going to be there playing. There were no individual workouts. They did interviews at the [camp]."

By the late 1980s and early '90s, the big names were making cameos merely to be measured and chatted up. "For a while, Chicago had some pretty good guys, guys on the cusp of the first round who were starting to move up," Minnesota general manager Jim Stack said. "Then you were lucky if you got second-round guys. It got to a point where there was all this expense, but we weren't getting the caliber of players to evaluate. Now they've gone to interviews and drills [only] -- there's no competitive component." No 5-on-5 play, in other words, which is the simulation that matters most.

A recent change in draft preparation is the mass workout, with clusters of players auditioning for several teams, or even a dozen or more, at once. Golden State hosted such a "combine" early last week, the Nets have one at their facility this weekend and, for four days in between in Minneapolis, the Timberwolves were the center of the NBA's offseason universe for fellows like Larry Bird, Danny Ainge, Rod Thorn, Daryl Morey, John Hammond, Buford and. Teams shared the cost of flying in six or eight players at a time, two groups per day, rather than having them bounce city to city for a week or two, repeating the workouts and mostly getting fatigued.

"They were on some pretty demanding itineraries," said David Kahn, new Wolves president of basketball operations. "Can you imagine this kind of intensity, this kind of stress, in four cities in four days? It seems as if the consensus is, this is a more productive use of everybody's time, to see this many prospects in four days."

But wait, there's more: Representatives from every NBA team traveled to Treviso, Italy, over the weekend for a showcase of 50-60 players, some ineligible until drafts beyond '09. This one even featured 5-on-5 play, cramming more available information onto everyone's hard drives.

Does it all produce a better result? Of the NBA's last nine Rookies of the Year, only two (LeBron James in '03-04 and Derrick Rose last season) were chosen No. 1. Buford said it is hard to evaluate, since the players drafted via all this extra data and scrutiny still haven't worked their way through their careers. "Ten years from now," the Spurs GM said, "when we can sit back and evaluate what we're doing now, we'll know more."

Then again, for all the changes in NBA draftology, one thing is constant. "What do you do with [the information]?" Wittman said. "It's like anything else."

Bruno
06-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Spurs have worked out a lot of players and have participated to at least 3 group workouts (in Houston, Minny and GS).
It's quite impressive for a team whose first pick is the #37.

I don't know what will be the result of the draft but at least Spurs' staff is doing all the necessary to pick the right player.

Blackjack
06-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Spurs have worked out a lot of players and have participated to at least 3 group workouts (in Houston, Minny and GS).
It's quite impressive for a team whose first pick is the #37.

I don't know what will be the result of the draft but at least Spurs' staff is doing all the necessary to pick the right player.

Yeah, and it definitely lends credence to the rumors of them trying to get into the first-round.

Whether they're successful or not, remains to be seen, but taking on a guaranteed contract doesn't seem to be an issue; I guess they could draft and stash someone like Casspi and not start his contract until next year, though.

mountainballer
06-09-2009, 03:15 AM
Casspi just denied that he will stay in Europe. he sees himself in the NBA next season.
(http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-09-bulls-bitsjun09,0,2275375.story)

it's right that the Spurs do a lot of scouting considering the poor picks in a weak draft. I think there are multiple scenarios they are preparing.
first step is to get a 1round pick. but the price for a 1st rounder might be higher before the draft than trade for a picked player after the draft.
why?
teams can only trade their 1st rounders every other year. so if a team sells the pick before the draft, they hit their options for future trades, when the added pick might be crucial as teaser for getting a certain deal done. you pick a player and then trade the player works better. (I'm not 100% sure if I interpreted the rule right)
and the other point is, even if a team is pretty sure to sell the pick, they might still want to see what players might fall down to them.

so the big dealing will start on draft night, as usual. this year we will likely see more action than the years before. the best chance will be a deal with the Wolves IMO. but it will take some cap relieve maneuvers, if the Spurs want to get the #18 pick. (which will be necessary, if they in fact focus on Casspi, after his good work outs his stock went to that area.).
Fab+Matt for Cardinal + #18 pick might be a move the Wolves like. it saves them about 2 million if they waive Fab and they get a similar, but at this point a bit better player than Cardinal in Matt.

Blackjack
06-11-2009, 02:20 AM
Reebok Eurocamp Summary, Part One

by: Jonathan Givony - President
June 11, 2009

With the 2009 Reebok Eurocamp in the books, we look back and empty our scouting notebooks from a great weekend in Treviso, Italy. The Eurocamp continues to progress from year to year and has become a must-see event for NBA and European teams alike.

In this report we’ll focus only on the players who did not receive extensive write-ups in our first two articles covering the camp....

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/International-Blog/#Reebok-Eurocamp-Summary-Part-One-3255

wildbill2u
06-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Assumning Classpi and Jerebko are gone, My current choices in order: Claver, Dasic, De Colo. Gives us two chances at a long 3 and cool shooting passing SG

De Colo You tube mix: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ti0fxUcfLU

Blackjack
06-12-2009, 01:17 AM
DX Podcast: Jonathan Givony Interview with Gary Parrish

June 10, 2009

Jonathan Givony joins Gary Parrish on 730 Fox Sports in Memphis to discuss the latest on the Ricky Rubio situation and other NBA draft rumors.

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#DX-Podcast-Jonathan-Givony-Interview-with-Gary-Parrish-3254

Bruno
06-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Eurocamp measurements:
http://www.nbadraft.net/node/6824

benefactor
06-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Damn...Marjanovic is friggin huge.

Bruno
06-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Nando De Colo has short arms but he is a little bigger than what I thought. To me, his future in the NBA (if he has one) is at the SG spot.
Henk Norel is big. Spending a late second round pick on him can't be a bad choice.
Patrick Beverly can jump and has show some nice things at the Eurocamp. I wouldn't be against Spurs drafting him with the #51 or #53 and let him one year in Austin to learn the PG spot (Ramon Sessions plan).

The withdraw deadline is in two days. We should start having a better idea on who Spurs can get with their picks after that.

Libri
06-12-2009, 05:53 PM
NBA Team Needs: Southwest Division
by: Kyle Nelson
June 12, 2009

San Antonio Spurs 54-28
Draft Picks #37, #51, and #53

Draft History:
2008- PG/SG- George Hill (#26), SF- Malik Hairston (#48), PF- James Gist (#57)
2007- PF/C- Tiago Splitter (#28), SG/SF- Marcus Williams (#33)
2006- None

Depth Chart:

PG: Tony Parker/ George Hill/ Jacque Vaughn*
SG: Roger Mason Jr./ Manu Ginobili/ Marcus Williams*
SF: Michael Finley*/ Bruce Bowen/ Ime Udoka*
PF: Tim Duncan/ Kurt Thomas/ Ian Mahinmi*
C: Matt Bonner/ Fabricio Oberto/ Drew Gooden*

Despite playing all season with an aging and injury depleted roster, and the second half of the season without the services of star swingman and sixth man Manu Ginobili, the San Antonio Spurs demonstrated that chemistry, great coaching, and experience can make an average team great. Unfortunately for the Spurs, this combination could only take them so far, and ultimately; they failed to make their mark on the playoffs. Now, it looks to be the end of an era in San Antonio, as this team is only getting older. Similarly, with Manu Ginobili entering a contract year, next season may be the last time that the Spurs’ legendary core suits up together. After making a number of trades to shore up their playoff hopes over the past few seasons, and unluckily missing out on signing Tiago Splitter, this team lacks young talent and significant assets, which puts pressure on GM R.C. Buford to make something happen during this off-season.

If any NBA team could turn three second round picks into a solid draft, it would be the Spurs. Adding talent through this draft is essential, and the Spurs front office has shown the foresight in the past to find underrated domestic and international role-players who could inject life into their team. While the second round is anything but certain, and this draft class is weaker than in past years, there could be a few prospects worthy of a look should the Spurs choose to use their draft picks. They are rumored to be angling to move up, possibly into the end of the first round, where there is a bit more talent than in the very shallow second round.

The Spurs need upgrades at almost every single position, but their most urgent needs lie in the post, to find a starting center or a back up for Tim Duncan, and on the wing. They’ve been looking to find a successor for Bruce Bowen for some time now on the wing, and will have to find a way to make an upgrade at the small forward position sooner rather than later. Considering how well they’ve scouted internationally over the past few years, it’s not out of the question that one or more picks comes from Europe. Regardless of what direction they choose to pursue, the Spurs need to have a very productive off-season if they want to continue their winning ways, and maximizing their assets in the draft wouldn’t be a bad way to start.

First Round Candidates: No first rounder

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/NBA-Coverage/#NBA-Team-Needs-Southwest-Division-3258

Bruno
06-12-2009, 05:59 PM
http://www.thehoopsreport.com/article.aspx?id=277

Spurs are one of the 23 teams taking part of a group workout in New Jersey. It's Spurs' 4th group workout.

Blackjack
06-13-2009, 01:25 AM
Reebok Eurocamp Summary, Part Two

June 12, 2009

All measurements are the official ones taken at the Reebok Eurocamp. Listed heights are in shoes...

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/International-Blog/#Reebok-Eurocamp-Summary-Part-Two-3257

Blackjack
06-15-2009, 01:11 AM
http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#New-Jersey-Group-Workout-Wrap-Up-3259

Blackjack
06-16-2009, 02:07 AM
(Round-up/tidbits from the last week or so, and interviews with both Gist and Nichols in the next day or so.:hungry:)

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/06/15/late-night-bullets/

Mr. Body
06-16-2009, 02:15 PM
It irritates me we still have to draft a back-up point after drafting George Hill last year.

Spurs Brazil
06-17-2009, 02:48 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/59880/20090617/pritchard_says_blazers_could_trade_picks/

Pritchard Says Blazers Could Trade Picks

Jun 17, 2009 2:45 PM EST
The Blazers have a total of five picks in next Thursday's NBA Draft, and Kevin Pritchard admitted on Tuesday that he could move them.

Pritchard said trading the team's first rounder and one of their four second-round selections "is a possibility."

Soon after Pritchard added, but "what's the fun in that?"

mookie2001
06-17-2009, 02:55 PM
marcus you should unstick, unlock a bunch of these threads, make this forum a little more poster friendly

Libri
06-17-2009, 03:29 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/59880/20090617/pritchard_says_blazers_could_trade_picks/

Pritchard Says Blazers Could Trade Picks

Jun 17, 2009 2:45 PM EST
The Blazers have a total of five picks in next Thursday's NBA Draft, and Kevin Pritchard admitted on Tuesday that he could move them.

Pritchard said trading the team's first rounder and one of their four second-round selections "is a possibility."

Soon after Pritchard added, but "what's the fun in that?"

The Blazers are looking for a point guard.

Mr. Body
06-17-2009, 03:52 PM
Lots of point guards to be had in this draft.

Bruno
06-17-2009, 06:02 PM
For reference, the final early entry list:
http://www.nba.com/2009/news/06/16/early.entrants.withdraw/index.html

Draft is in 8 days. :hungry:
I don't expect a lot from it given that Spurs first pick is #37.
However, if Spurs decide to do some trades this summer, it could happen during the draft and not after July 1st because the Oberto contract asset had to be used before July.

ducks
06-17-2009, 06:33 PM
would anyone trade hill for blazers 5 draft picks

Obstructed_View
06-17-2009, 08:54 PM
It irritates me we still have to draft a back-up point after drafting George Hill last year.

If the Spurs wanted a backup point guard last year, perhaps they should have actually drafted one.

DPG21920
06-17-2009, 08:57 PM
I still think Hill can be a back up point guard. Back up point guards are not supposed to be better than the starters, you usually get a back up with a few specialized tools, Hill has that.

Blackjack
06-18-2009, 01:12 AM
DX- Just By The Numbers: This Year's Point Guard Crop

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Just-By-the-Numbers-This-Years-Point-Guard-Crop-3262/

Blackjack
06-18-2009, 01:19 AM

June 18, 2009

Jonathan Givony joins Gary Parrish on 730 Fox Sports in Memphis to discuss the latest on Ricky Rubio, the Grizzlies and plenty of NBA draft rumors.

(I'm unable to download video or audio, so I'd appreciate if someone could give me a recap if there's anything of interest.toast)

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony

Manufan909
06-18-2009, 01:22 AM
Can anyone tell me the Middle Eastern player that was on the local news yesterday, who is apparently a target for the draft? From what my mom remembered, he was Israeli, 6-8, and scored 9.8 while playing 20 minutes.

Blackjack
06-18-2009, 01:29 AM
Omri Casspi.

A sure sign he won't end up on the Spurs.:lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-18-2009, 09:38 AM

June 18, 2009

Jonathan Givony joins Gary Parrish on 730 Fox Sports in Memphis to discuss the latest on Ricky Rubio, the Grizzlies and plenty of NBA draft rumors.

(I'm unable to download video or audio, so I'd appreciate if someone could give me a recap if there's anything of interest.toast)

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony

There wasn't really anything new, it talked about Rubio and his situation with the Grizzlies, the Grizzlies recent draft history (mostly Love for Mayo), little tidbits on other players (I think mostly Tyreke Evans), and the rumors going around of Washington trying to get Stoudemire.

Bruno
06-18-2009, 01:55 PM
Hypothetical question:
For the 36 first picks, the draft follow the latest DX mock draft ( http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2009/ ). Who would you like to see being drafted by SA at 37 ?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-18-2009, 02:17 PM
Either Green, De Colo, or Brown (in that order).
It could sound crazy, I haven't really focused much on this year's draft.

Blackjack
06-18-2009, 02:33 PM
There wasn't really anything new, it talked about Rubio and his situation with the Grizzlies, the Grizzlies recent draft history (mostly Love for Mayo), little tidbits on other players (I think mostly Tyreke Evans), and the rumors going around of Washington trying to get Stoudemire.

Much obliged.:toast

Manufan909
06-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Omri Casspi.

A sure sign he won't end up on the Spurs.:lol

Thank you kindly my man/woman/fellow ST non-troll.:toast

Blackjack
06-18-2009, 02:44 PM
Thank you kindly my man/woman/fellow ST non-troll.:toast

And the answer to that would be...

Yes.(But, more man, though.:hat)

Blackjack
06-18-2009, 11:44 PM
Hypothetical question:
For the 36 first picks, the draft follow the latest DX mock draft ( http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2009/ ). Who would you like to see being drafted by SA at 37 ?

Derrick Brown is probably where I'm leaning, if the Spurs do end up just picking where they are.

I don't hate the Paul Harris pick at 51, but I think the Spurs would go with De Colo if it played out the way DX has it.

The way this mock looks, it actually seems the Spurs could get their hands on a couple of nice players. As a matter of fact, I'm starting to think this draft could turn out to have a pretty nice class. Not really a lot great/potential superstars, but a bunch of good potential rotation players.

Brown, Claver, Carroll, Christmas, Beverly, McClinton, Pendegraph, Llull, De Colo, Meeks (I can't believe he's not going back if he's projected this low) Green, Harris, Jackson, and Cunningham (in no particular order) would all be available with the 37th pick in this scenario. Not a bad bunch of prospects to choose from at that stage of the draft.

Of course, selfishly, if they could get Minnesota's 18th and the man slotted to go there, I'd be mighty fine with that.:smokin

Pistons < Spurs
06-18-2009, 11:44 PM
The Top 50 Prospects and the Four Factors
By Jon Nichols
Thu, 06/18/2009 - 11:30am

With the draft a week away, I've decided to put together a list of the top 50 prospects and their corresponding offensive Four Factors numbers. For good explanations of what those are, go to Basketball Reference: Four Factors (http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/factors.html) (I chose to use true shot percentage instead of effective field goal percentage). I've also included the players' ranks in each category. The lowest rank is 42 because I decided to leave out the eight Europeans.

In the next week, I plan on determining which players are the best fit for each team based on these numbers and the team Four Factors. All of the information will be on Basketball-Statistics.com.

I used Chad Ford's Top 100 list to come up with the names. College players' numbers were obtained from http://www.kenpom.com. I calculated the Euro numbers using the data available at http://www.keyhoops.com.

Don't forget to check out http://basketball-statistics.com for much more like this!

http://imgburst.com/up/fourfactorsxqbH.jpg

http://www.hoopsdaily.com/content/top-50-prospects-and-four-factors

Blackjack
06-19-2009, 01:23 AM
DX- Just By The Numbers: This Year's Shooting Guard Crop

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Just-By-the-Numbers-This-Years-Shooting-Guard-Crop-3264

Accounting for the fact that turnovers are statistically worse than assists are positive, and for pace, Jon Hollinger’s pure point rating builds on the A/TO ratio that many of us use to gauge the efficiency of points guards. This stat backs up the things we learned above: Terrence Williams passes the point forward test seamlessly.

Strikingly similar to the A/T ratio table, this chart gives us a little bit more of an idea of how rare Terrence Williams’s passing ability really is. The only major prospect over .5 PPR, he’s the type of playmaker that could fit in next to an undersized, offensive-minded guard on the next level. His versatility will be very attractive to teams with such players.

Just saying/praying...:hat

yavozerb
06-19-2009, 04:36 PM
nbadraft.com

Teams with multiple picks such as Sacramento (23), Oklahoma City (25) and Chicago (26) are all looking to sell their picks according to sources. While three other teams would like to buy picks late in the first round: San Antonio, Detroit and Houston.

Blackjack
06-21-2009, 03:20 AM
DX- Just By The Numbers: This Year's Small Forward Crop

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Just-By-the-Numbers-This-Years-Small-Forward-Crop-3270/

Blackjack
06-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Updated: June 22, 2009, 10:43 AM ET

Draft-buzz roundup: What we're hearing

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/insider/news/story?page=09DraftBuzz2&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fdraft2009%2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fpage%3d09D raftBuzz2

Spurtacus
06-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Updated: June 22, 2009, 10:43 AM ET

Draft-buzz roundup: What we're hearing

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/insider/news/story?page=09DraftBuzz2&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fdraft2009%2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fpage%3d09D raftBuzz2

For those who don't have Insider.

POSTED: June 22 -- 7:55 p.m. ET

Chad Ford: UCLA's Jrue Holiday was feeling the pressure. He was in New York today for a callback with the Knicks -- a team he would love to go to at No. 8. His first audition wasn't all that it should've been. He was overshadowed by more experienced players like Stephen Curry and Gerald Henderson. He struggled to shut down Curry defensively. He got frustrated. A little down. And then those old feelings of self- doubt, the ones that were on display all year at UCLA, started creeping up.

The Knicks were down on his first workout, but recognized that he could do better and invited him back to New York on Monday -- this time against Miami's Jack McClinton.

The result? "He was much, much better today," one Knicks source told ESPN.com. "He shot the ball better, played with confidence -- he's a special player."

The question is … is he special enough to overtake Brandon Jennings on the Knicks' draft board?

As of Sunday night, the Knicks had Jennings ranked slightly ahead. Jennings' workout in New York was full of sizzle and bravado and surprised the Knicks brass' who thought he'd be less polished. Basketball guru Sonny Vaccaro, who orchestrated Jennings' year in Italy this past season, began telling people that Jennings was going to prove everyone wrong on draft night -- alluding to New York as a possible destination, according to sources who talked to Vaccaro.

Is Sonny speaking too soon? The word I got out of New York on Monday was mixed. On the one hand, the team had originally had Holiday ranked higher and were persuaded that his size and versatility made him a better pick. On the other, Jennings seems to have the make-up to be a star in the NBA.

Sources said Knicks president Donnie Walsh will gather his staff on Tuesday to go over the draft one more time so that they can settle on a player.

Two things could still put a stop to Jennings or Holiday's dreams of playing in New York.

First, the Knicks do have other players higher on their board. If Curry, Ricky Rubio, Tyreke Evans or Jordan Hill were on the board, I think they'd take them over Jennings or Holiday.

Second, the Knicks have had talks with the Wizards about acquiring the No. 5 pick. If the Knicks draft a point guard there, they'd likely go in another direction with their second first-round pick. Their offer was Larry Hughes for Etan Thomas and Mike James and the fifth pick. The Wizards were once high on Hughes and are in the market for a veteran player who can propel the team to a championship right now. They'd save some money in the deal, get a player who could help them … but is that enough for the No. 5 pick?

The Wizards are entertaining lots of other offers right now and the Knicks' offer of Hughes may not be enough.

• The word around the league is that Hasheem Thabeet canceled his workout in Memphis on Sunday in part because he's confident that the Thunder will take him with the No. 3 pick in the draft. How confident is a subject of debate. A few sources say Thabeet got a promise from the Thunder over the weekend. However a source close to Thabeet says he doesn't have a promise and feels there's still a good chance that Memphis takes him at No. 2 -- despite Thabeet's objections.

• There's been a lot of speculation the past few weeks that the Pistons may trade their pick at 15. Not true, according to Detroit sources. "We're in a position to add two to three players through free agency and to add a couple of players through the draft," the source said. "No need for us to move our pick for an extra $1.4 million dollars of cap space."

As for all the talk that they promised everyone from B.J. Mullens to Earl Clark at No. 15. "It's totally B.S.," the source said. "Why would we promise someone in this draft? So many scenarios are still playing themselves out. Anything could happen. We're just going to be content to let whoever falls to us fall."

• The Rockets are actively hunting for a team willing to trade their lottery pick. Their offer? Carl Landry. I love Landry, but not sure he's worth a lottery pick. Then again, in this draft … maybe.

Spurtacus
06-22-2009, 07:07 PM
With the draft being shallow I believe it is quite possible the Spurs will buy a pick in the 20s. I hope they do and I hope we draft Sam Young. He's not the youngest player in the draft but he's ready to contribute.

DPG21920
06-22-2009, 07:29 PM
Question:

Who in this draft from a SF/PF/C perspective can the Spurs get realistically (via their current picks or through a reasonable trade scenario) that can come in and have a legit shot at cracking the rotation?

mountainballer
06-23-2009, 02:37 AM
Question:

Who in this draft from a SF/PF/C perspective can the Spurs get realistically (via their current picks or through a reasonable trade scenario) that can come in and have a legit shot at cracking the rotation?

Jeff Pendergraph. if most mocks are right, he will be there at #37. decent size for a PF at 6'10'' in shoes, could also play some Center. pretty quick for a big man and decent athlete overall. limited upside on offense, but very efficient in what he does. experienced senior. he is the only big in our reach who IMO could become a rotation player immediately. (even if it will not be more than #4 or #5 in the front court rotation)

Blackjack
06-23-2009, 02:41 AM
DX - Just By The Numbers: This Year's Power Forward Crop

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Just-By-the-Numbers-This-Years-Power-Forward-Crop-3273/

Spurtacus
06-23-2009, 01:08 PM
So...are we still targeting a SF with Jefferson coming in? First round pick buyout?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-23-2009, 01:21 PM
Moving into the first round for a big now.

bigdog
06-23-2009, 01:22 PM
So...are we still targeting a SF with Jefferson coming in? First round pick buyout?

Either way, I still think they have to draft at least one SF, just to have a young guy to develop, but I think now their focus should be on getting a big man.

5in10
06-23-2009, 10:40 PM
trade our second rounds for the bucks #10 maybe thrown splitters rights if jordan hill is around

Blackjack
06-24-2009, 02:13 AM
DX Podcast - Lottery Talk and Draft Rumors with Jonathan Givony

by: Jonathan Givony - President, Joey Whelan
June 24, 2009

Joey Whelan and Jonathan Givony review the Washington/Minnesota and San Antonio/Milwaukee trades and go team by team through the lottery discussing their draft boards and the latest rumors.

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#DX-Podcast---Lottery-Talk-and-Draft-Rumors-with-Jonathan-Givony--3280

Recap, please.:toast

Blackjack
06-24-2009, 02:18 AM
DX - Just By The Numbers: This Year's Center Crop

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Just-By-the-Numbers-This-Years-Center-Crop-3275/

timvp
06-24-2009, 02:29 AM
DX Podcast - Lottery Talk and Draft Rumors with Jonathan Givony

by: Jonathan Givony - President, Joey Whelan
June 24, 2009

Joey Whelan and Jonathan Givony review the Washington/Minnesota and San Antonio/Milwaukee trades and go team by team through the lottery discussing their draft boards and the latest rumors.

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#DX-Podcast---Lottery-Talk-and-Draft-Rumors-with-Jonathan-Givony--3280

Recap, please.:toast

Regarding the part of about the RJ trade, Givony just said it was a great trade for the Spurs. He said Jefferson is underrated and will be a great fit.

Nothing else too exciting in the rest of the first half of the podcast.

mountainballer
06-24-2009, 05:13 AM
I think the Jefferson trade has also changed the draft priorities.
not that the Spurs couldn't use another young wing, but they are now that thin in the front court and they have already a huge pay roll, they are forced to pick a big. rookies are still the cheapest way to fill a roster.
a logical choice would be the most NBA ready big available and therefore I see Pendergraph even more as the best option, if he is there at #37.
Ahmad Nivins might be the next best option and Jon Brockman (as a white version of Malik Rose?) could also make some sense.

objective
06-24-2009, 06:08 AM
DX has Blair falling to #21. Spurs could buy a pick late teens-21 to get him if true. They've already interviewed him after all.

The other move I like I posted on the Casspi thread. Spend the $3 million to move up and get Casspi. The Spurs will make that money back easily over the life of the rookie contract because of Casspi's first Israeli status.

Stump
06-24-2009, 09:52 AM
With Hairston, Gist, and Williams in the pipeline, I longer see any point in drafting a SF in the second round. If they want to move up to grab somebody who they know could be a solid backup SF (Young, Casspi, even Daye), then great, but otherwise I'd think we're best off grabbing a big at 37 and draft-and-stash projects at 51 and 53.

velik_m
06-24-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm thinking maybe pg/sg with 37, most likely draft and stash with all the picks. There is really nobody in the draft that can help the spurs right now (at least at positions that are available to Spurs). Maybe some of the picks will be included in the trade. I expect the draft to be a bit anti-climatic for the spurs fans.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Knicks buy the 28th pick from Minnesota.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60027/20090624/knicks_buy_28th_pick_from_wolves/

mountainballer
06-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Knicks buy the 28th pick from Minnesota.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60027/20090624/knicks_buy_28th_pick_from_wolves/

considering D'Antoni's connection to Italy, I wouldn't be surprised if the Knick have Jerebko on their list. the #28 pick should be good enough to get him.

wildbill2u
06-24-2009, 01:36 PM
I have a feeling they won't buy up in the draft after signing Jefferson. Isn't his contract about $13,000,000 a year.

That acquisition alone would be a good offseason. Anything else in the draft is whipped cream on top of the punkin' pie.

Spurs Brazil
06-24-2009, 08:11 PM
Kupchak says first-round trade likely

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4285133

young_prosecutor
06-24-2009, 08:13 PM
we need to get an all-american type player with a high basketball IQ, are there any coaches sons available?

Blackjack
06-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Regarding the part of about the RJ trade, Givony just said it was a great trade for the Spurs. He said Jefferson is underrated and will be a great fit.

Nothing else too exciting in the rest of the first half of the podcast.

Appreciate it.:toast

I think the Jefferson trade has also changed the draft priorities.
not that the Spurs couldn't use another young wing, but they are now that thin in the front court and they have already a huge pay roll, they are forced to pick a big. rookies are still the cheapest way to fill a roster.
a logical choice would be the most NBA ready big available and therefore I see Pendergraph even more as the best option, if he is there at #37.
Ahmad Nivins might be the next best option and Jon Brockman (as a white version of Malik Rose?) could also make some sense.

It's definitely possible.

I'm not sure exactly where they'll go, but I get the feeling they'll just pick the best player available.

Jermaine Taylor I've just had a hunch about and Brown could still be a nice fit, but for all I know they make a move to draft-and-stash Casspi.

Not much would suprise me at this point. (Maybe they draft a Vic after trading for a... nevermind:hat)

If you're looking to fill out the roster with some cheap second-rounders though, going with young athletic bigs might be the best short-term option. (Good call on Brockman.:tu The guy is tough as nails and I've actually thought about him with that third pick or a camp invite.)

coyotes_geek
06-24-2009, 08:57 PM
Kupchak says first-round trade likely

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4285133

Interesting, as the Spurs are allegedly looking to get in to the 1st round. But I doubt either team has the stomach to trade with the other.

Blackjack
06-24-2009, 09:00 PM
Interesting, as the Spurs are allegedly looking to get in to the 1st round. But I doubt either team has the stomach to trade with the other.

Yeah, it takes a real man to trade talent to your competitor.:smokin

Blackjack
06-24-2009, 09:04 PM
Portland acquired the 22nd from Dallas in exchange for the 24th and 2 seconds, (1 next year) but I'm wondering if that's a move to get Hansbrough or if maybe Pritchard's looking to nab Casspi?

Blackjack
06-25-2009, 02:21 AM
So what are the Spurs to do?

The Wing

With Jefferson and Ginobili their only 2 wings standing 6' 6" or taller, should the Spurs look to add a Brown-type (Jerebko maybe?) player through the draft for defensive purposes? Pop has already made it clear that Jeff will take over Bowen's responsibilities, but with Manu's health can R.J. really be the only player the Spurs have defensively at the wing?

"Big"

Maybe a big is the way to go? It's not like they don't need one. A cheap second-rounder would be ideal, and maybe they can find a good high energy guy that could contribute in the upcoming year. Maybe even get lucky and find their own Powe/Millsap? Gibson might be well out of their reach but Pendegraph and Carroll would be intriguing.

Scorer

Is Mason in the plans? If the Spurs plan on including Mason in a trade for a big, their pick just might tip their hand. Jermaine Taylor share's Georgie's agent and has received some advice from Hill already. There's a good chance it doesn't mean much, but it's something to note. Also Ellington, Douglas, and Matthews could very well be options in this scenario.

Backup-point

Well, Beverly has intrigued me but Hill's presence makes him seem redundant. I'm sure Mills would be pretty high on the Spurs' board, De Colo seems a pretty logical choice, given the relationship's/familiarity, and Llull could very well be a possibility. But my guess?

Jack McClinton.

Not really much of a point at this juncture but brings a different skill set to the Tony/Hill battery. Pop's flirtation with Salim Stoudamire last year is something I just can't shake. Pop really liked the idea of an Eddie House on this roster and McClinton could very well give him that.

Upside

It's been no secret that Casspi's been on the Spurs' radar for a while now. He's got the size, skill, and fire to become a real good player; the Spurs would surely have to acquire the 21st or better for a shot, though. Claver has been talked about having as high of a ceiling as just about anybody in this draft, even if his desire has been questioned, but an injury and an apparent preference to go in the second round (IIRC) leaves him a possibility for the Spurs. If the Spurs believe they can adequately fill their roster with enough quality low-cost contracts, selecting Claver at 37 would be a great value pick.

So, where would you go, and what direction do you think the Spurs will actually end up going?

mountainballer
06-25-2009, 07:15 AM
all good points!
while it's hard to see the Spurs keep all 3 picks, let's still guess.

if they can't get a 1st round pick (which might be used on Casspi, Jerebko, Young..in that order), I see them pick a solid big at #37 (Pendergraph), a draft and stash project at #51 (Gladyr) and (as you mentioned) a shooter at #53 (McClinton).

if they wanted DeColo, they need to use the #37 for him, because later he will be gone. maybe the draft DeColo and Gladyr and use the remaining pick for a big. (Nivins might still be there at #53)

Solid D
06-25-2009, 11:18 AM
Whoever the Spurs draft, we shouldn't expect immediate impact. You can't even do that with 1st round picks. Immediate impact will have to come via trade (Answer: Jefferson)and free agency (Answer: MLE "4 man" TBA). Now, if the Spurs can cash-in their chips from prior drafts with Mahinmi or Marcus Williams, it would be nothing short of amazing, if not unbelievable. Even one break-through from prior drafts, international player or otherwise, would put some air back in their old lungs.

Update from page 1.

wildbill2u
06-25-2009, 11:51 AM
So what are the Spurs to do?

The Wing

With Jefferson and Ginobili their only 2 wings standing 6' 6" or taller, should the Spurs look to add a Brown-type (Jerebko maybe?) player through the draft for defensive purposes? Pop has already made it clear that Jeff will take over Bowen's responsibilities, but with Manu's health can R.J. really be the only player the Spurs have defensively at the wing?

"Big"

Maybe a big is the way to go? It's not like they don't need one. A cheap second-rounder would be ideal, and maybe they can find a good high energy guy that could contribute in the upcoming year. Maybe even get lucky and find their own Powe/Millsap? Gibson might be well out of their reach but Pendegraph and Carroll would be intriguing.

Scorer

Is Mason in the plans? If the Spurs plan on including Mason in a trade for a big, their pick just might tip their hand. Jermaine Taylor share's Georgie's agent and has received some advice from Hill already. There's a good chance it doesn't mean much, but it's something to note. Also Ellington, Douglas, and Matthews could very well be options in this scenario.

Backup-point

Well, Beverly has intrigued me but Hill's presence makes him seem redundant. I'm sure Mills would be pretty high on the Spurs' board, De Colo seems a pretty logical choice, given the relationship's/familiarity, and Llull could very well be a possibility. But my guess?

Jack McClinton.

Not really much of a point at this juncture but brings a different skill set to the Tony/Hill battery. Pop's flirtation with Salim Stoudamire last year is something I just can't shake. Pop really liked the idea of an Eddie House on this roster and McClinton could very well give him that.

Upside

It's been no secret that Casspi's been on the Spurs' radar for a while now. He's got the size, skill, and fire to become a real good player; the Spurs would surely have to acquire the 21st or better for a shot, though. Claver has been talked about having as high of a ceiling as just about anybody in this draft, even if his desire has been questioned, but an injury and an apparent preference to go in the second round (IIRC) leaves him a possibility for the Spurs. If the Spurs believe they can adequately fill their roster with enough quality low-cost contracts, selecting Claver at 37 would be a great value pick.

So, where would you go, and what direction do you think the Spurs will actually end up going?

If they trade up to first round they do it to take Casspi or Jerebko. Frankly with the addition of Jefferson I don't see that happening.

I still like Claver at 37 if he's there. Sure he's projected at SF but maybe he can also play PF/ At 6'10" he'd be a very mobile PF.

wildbill2u
06-25-2009, 12:06 PM
POrtland traded up to 22 from 24 this morning. Means they have someone in mind. My feeling is they are after Casspi.

Blackjack
06-25-2009, 12:07 PM
Nine Draft Day Thoughts

1. Graydon and I will be around this evening with a bunch of our friends. Every blog in the TrueHoop Network will broadcast the same draft chat, pulling together fans and pundits from across the league. If you want to represent Silver and Black, be sure to join us. The fun begins around 5 pm CST. If you plan to enjoy the draft in the company of silver and black clad strangers, the Spurs and Toros are both hosting parties this evening. Follow the links for more information. You can watch the draft on ESPN 360.

2. We should expect to be surprised this evening. Leading up to the draft, we’ve done our level best to provide you information about those prospects who make the most sense for San Antonio. But the Spurs play with their cards close to the vest, and often surprise on draft night. Think George Hill. Think Ian Mahinmi.

Here’s my advice: don’t knee jerk. The Spurs are pretty good at what they do. One thing I learned at the Draft Combine is that every team is swimming in a sea of information about each player. Draft selections are not made lightly. Last year, I wasn’t thrilled by the Spurs draft. But looking back, they did just fine. They selected a talented reserve guard in George Hill, and found two players in the second round who stand a good chance of making this year’s roster. Malik Hairston and James Gist. Given where they selected, they could not have done much better.

3. How does the Richard Jefferson trade play into the draft? This is an interesting question because it goes against most of our immediate assumptions. When the Spurs landed Jefferson, my thought was that the remainder of their offseason would be restricted by the boundaries of luxury tax. But this doesn’t appear to be the case. In the last 24 hours R.C. Buford and Gregg Popovich have indicated the Spurs will aggressively seek out opportunities for further improvement in the weeks ahead. That being said, tonight is an open book.

If there is an opportunity to move into the first round, I expect the Spurs to take it. Look for them to target picks mid to late first, in hopes of catching passed-over talent.

4. Yesterday, Gregg Popovich said the Spurs would like to use their MLE on a “4″. Maybe that’s Antonio McDyess, maybe it’s Drew Gooden. We don’t know. But knowing the position is helpful. Unless someone like DeJuan Blair slides and the Spurs can buy/trade up to get him, I don’t expect the team to draft a power forward. But they can be crazy deceptive like that.

Tuesday night, R.C. Buford said the team might bring in one of their past picks from overseas to fill out the roster. He spoke with confidence about the possibility, but didn’t name anyone in particular. No problem. It’s a pretty easy list to narrow. In all likelihood, he’s referring to James Gist or Robertas Javtokas. Given the loss of Thomas and Oberto, and the need to add athleticism to the frontcourt, either player would make sense as an inexpensive roster addition. Tiago Splitter is still a year out.

Putting that all together, it’s easy to see the Spurs drafting a wing unless someone slides. And honestly, other than Richard Jefferson, San Antonio doesn’t have a true small forward on roster. Now is the time to put a developing player behind their new acquisition.

5. How could moving into the first round benefit the team? The obvious answer is that the talent is better. But it goes deeper than that. The Spurs have holes in the frontcourt and they need a reserve wing to groom behind Jefferson. I suspect Marcus Williams has a strong chance of assuming Jacque Vaughn’s role as third point, but the Spurs could perhaps go in that direction. We know they worked out several point guards leading up to the draft.

The late first round rookie salary scale could be a real help to the Spurs cap situation, provided they select guys who would contribute right away. Beginning at pick 18 and scaling down through 30, rookies are guaranteed 1.2 million to 824,000. Finding another George Hill at those prices would be huge.

6. DraftExpress: “Three teams that are looking to move into the first round are Miami, San Antonio and Houston. The Heat are supposedly looking at Taj Gibson and the Spurs are intrigued by Omri Casspi and Jonas Jerebko.”

7. Earlier in the week, Graydon and I received an email from a reasonably connected source saying the Spurs were trying to move to 22 in order to select Omri Casspi. Maybe that’t true, maybe it’s not. Since there was no way of knowing, we adopted a watch and see posture. Well, the Blazers did trade for the 22nd pick this evening. ESPN offers this take: “Why would the Blazers move up two spots in the draft? The word around the league was the Kings had zeroed in on Omri Casspi with the 23rd pick. Casspi could be a good pick for the Blazers to either keep or to bring over this year to provide more toughness in the front court.” It looks like Casspi will be off the board by 23.

8. I really like a handful of players the Spurs could select in the 2nd round. I hope they keep all of their picks and draft and stash or take a chance on someone to groom in Austin. This is not to say they’ll find a keeper in the second, but they can take a few stabs at a few potential-laden prospects. Maybe they get lucky. My list: Sergio Llull, Victor Claver, Nando De Colo, Danny Green, Patrick Beverley, DaJuan Summers, Sergey Gladyr, Emir Preldzic and Joe Ingles.

9. The Spurs took a big step forward by trading for Richard Jefferson. But the Lakers, the Shaq Cavs, and the Magic are still better teams. We shouldn’t expect anyone the Spurs draft at 37 to help their cause in a series against those teams. If the Spurs want to get into that class of contention, Jefferson really must become one of a few vital new pieces. The Spurs best chance to minimize the gap between them and elite status is getting it right with their MLE. Buford says he’s going to be aggressive this offseason. And that’s because he has no choice. It’s time to go all in.

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/06/25/nine-draft-day-thoughts/

Blackjack
06-25-2009, 12:12 PM
POrtland traded up to 22 from 24 this morning. Means they have someone in mind. My feeling is they are after Casspi.

It actually happened last evening and it's most likely an indication that they're trying to get ahead of Sacramento; another team reportedly hot on Casspi.

loveforthegame
06-25-2009, 12:13 PM
Blazers strike again by moving up to snag Casspi. Unless the Spurs can get Minnesota's 18th pick, Utah's 20th, or the Hornets 21st then I don't see them trading into the first round.

Solid D
06-25-2009, 12:26 PM
There are some "financial-reasons" trade-up options, so the Spurs have some opportunities. If they do move up into the 16-27th pick range by trading players and/or rights to players, then Blair, Teague, Young, or Daye would address the power Big, playmaker, 2-way wing and long matchup player roles. They are all domestic players with no international contract muss n fuss. BTW, if Ty Lawson were to fall below the top 15...'guy is Mr. Intangible good, s'all I'm sayin'.

"Drinkability"? Intriguing as they may be, the signability of European talents Casspi, Claver, Beaubois, and Llull are question marks until the ink is dry.

Questions about the 2nd round: Could DeMarre Carroll be there at 37? Would Jon "Tom Copa" Brockman really be what is making RC and George Felton giddy?

timvp
06-25-2009, 12:26 PM
That 21 pick looks juicy if the right player falls :hat

timvp
06-25-2009, 12:31 PM
BTW, if Ty Lawson were to fall below the top 15...'guy is Mr. Intangible good, s'all I'm sayin'.I like Lawson but he had a quote saying he "doesn't want to be a backup behind a player like Tony Parker where I won't get any playing time".

That direct of a quote might cause him to be crossed off the Spurs' board.

Questions about the 2nd round: Could DeMarre Carroll be there at 37?I'd really like Carroll at 37. He'll probably be gone, though.

Would Jon "Tom Copa" Brockman really be what is making RC and George Felton giddy?Sounds like someone promised him. I never remember the Spurs putting any stock into Portsmouth, though.

HarlemHeat37
06-25-2009, 01:28 PM
Is there really any chance Portland isn't going to take our guy if he falls there?..they're becoming quite the irritable franchise lately..

bigdog
06-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Is there really any chance Portland isn't going to take our guy if he falls there?..they're becoming quite the irritable franchise lately..

I would be completely shocked if Portland doesn't take a Spurs-target with their pick.

CGD
06-25-2009, 03:06 PM

I agree, but in fairness to Portland the Spurs don't have a (known) play in the 1st round this year.

If the Spurs move into the 18 to 21 range, I'm not so sure Omri's the guy. My gut tells me that come the announcement of the 15th pick, if Blair is still on the board that he is the player they want in that range. Blair has slipped in the mocks recently, and I recall that the Spurs worked him out (much to the surprise of many).

Texas_Ranger
06-25-2009, 03:15 PM
hey guys, when does the draft starts???

EricB
06-25-2009, 03:20 PM
hey guys, when does the draft starts???

7:30 eastern time on ESPN.

Texas_Ranger
06-25-2009, 03:25 PM
7:30 eastern time on ESPN.

Thanx!:toast

tav1
06-25-2009, 06:12 PM
That 21 pick looks juicy if the right player falls :hat

It looks like one of either Blair or Clark could slide to the 18-21 range. So, if you're trading up, that's where you want to land.

mudyez
06-25-2009, 07:16 PM
minny wth rubio an flynn???

I bet, they are trading rubio...even if they say, they wont

mudyez
06-25-2009, 07:17 PM
love the reaction in NY of GS taking curry..love the idea of elli and curry beeing nellies backcourt

Dex
06-25-2009, 08:06 PM
Still waiting for anything semi Spurs related.

Gonna be a while.

spurspokesman
06-25-2009, 09:18 PM
:wow yup. True P.I.T.A as of late

Mugen
06-25-2009, 09:23 PM
yessssssir

SouthTexasRancher
06-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Great pick ... Pop, RC & Holt to keep or trade to help get a 'C'.

noob cake
06-25-2009, 09:54 PM
Biggest steal of the draft. Congrats Spurs.