Bruno
04-29-2009, 01:49 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_zaza_pachulia.jpg

Zaza Pachulia | C - F
Born: Feb 10, 1984
Height: 6-11 / 2,11
Weight: 275 lbs. / 124,7 kg.
Years Pro: 5

info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/zaza_pachulia/index.html)

Ditty
04-29-2009, 01:53 AM
i always thought he was very clumsy and a low basketball IQ

timvp
04-29-2009, 01:56 AM
I've actually grown to like him as a player. He's tough, a good rebounder and his offensive game is a underrated. He can get turnover happy and try too hard at times but you don't find bigs with a live body, toughness and coordination too often.

Plus punking KG got my respect :tu

MaNu4Tres
04-29-2009, 01:57 AM
I don't think he's worth investing in if his contract ruins the " 2010" plan.

HarlemHeat37
04-29-2009, 01:59 AM
I wouldn't mind him if we got Wallace with him..I wouldn't want him as our only big man acquisition though..

tp2021
04-29-2009, 03:22 AM
I don't think he's worth investing in if his contract ruins the " 2010" plan.

My guess is that the vast majority of FAs won't jeopardize the 2010 plan, since they all want to be FAs in 2010. There's bound to be a lot of overspending that summer.

Streakyshooter08
04-29-2009, 11:05 AM
If he comes for a reasonable price I would like to have him.

Manufan909
04-29-2009, 11:14 AM
I've actually grown to like him as a player. He's tough, a good rebounder and his offensive game is a underrated. He can get turnover happy and try too hard at times but you don't find bigs with a live body, toughness and coordination too often.

Plus punking KG got my respect :tu

How did he punk KG?

Mel_13
04-29-2009, 11:31 AM
45 seconds in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6JNQHZSkfE

xtremesteven33
04-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Tough as nails :tu

Manufan909
04-29-2009, 12:28 PM
So the lowered shoulder screen was after he elbowed Zaza in the face? And how does JVG think this is getting back? What did Zaza do to him?

vy65
04-29-2009, 03:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cQjjvFAf6Q

I think he's Borat's broher.

objective
04-29-2009, 04:11 PM
hard to get on the Spurs budget.

Made $4 million a year on his current ending deal if I remember right.

Can't justify the Spurs dropping the full MLE on him.

Then again, maybe the Spurs sign him AND Sanikidze and start their own Georgian War Machine.

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-29-2009, 08:05 PM
Great player, I've had my eye on him throughout this season. I think he'd be a great fit, and I doubt he would take up a whole lot of the available money.

kbrury
06-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Id take Zaza over Gortat

EricB
06-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Agreed, Zaza is a much more talented player.

If it could be done, a S&T for Zaza would be very appealing.

bigdog
06-23-2009, 09:56 AM
I would LOVE if the Spurs got Zaza. He's not a great player, but he's not bad, either. He is a hustle machine, and tries his hardest on every play. He mas more balls than Bonner, and he even got in KG's face, which earned complete respect from me.

Spurtacus
06-23-2009, 01:09 PM
We need some bigs now!

Trimble87
06-23-2009, 03:39 PM
with jeffersons contract is it even feasable to sign someone for the full MLE?

Darkwaters
06-23-2009, 03:53 PM
It would have to be a viable post player that could legitimately put us over the top towards another championship. The FO would probably splurge a little more to get there. If it's just to fill out the roster I don't know that it happens.

Tully365
06-23-2009, 04:12 PM
With the versatile Jefferson in the line up, Zaza looks even more appealing in the enforcer/muscle role. I wonder just how far above the cap Holt is willing to go?

HarlemHeat37
06-23-2009, 04:29 PM
I would like the Zaza addition..it'll be interesting to see what kind of offers he's going to get from other teams..

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
06-23-2009, 08:28 PM
I think Zaza is a very realistic option this summer. If we ended up with Zaza, i'd be happy.

superbigtime
06-23-2009, 08:40 PM
I hope Spurs find a way to keep Gooden. But I like Pachulia. Hard nosed player.

baseline bum
06-24-2009, 04:14 PM
Zaza would be an enormous upgrade over pussy-ass Bonner.

objective
06-25-2009, 07:52 AM
The bad things about ZaZa is that he's turnover prone and is not much of a shotblocker.

SenorSpur
06-25-2009, 10:28 AM
I admit to not knowing much about this guy. For those that are more well-informed, how does rate versus the other BIG possibles? (Camby, Gortat, Kaman, Sheed)

coyotes_geek
06-25-2009, 10:42 AM
Younger and more durable than Camby, but not as good a rebounder or defender.
More skilled than Gortat. Similar size.
Not in Kaman's class.
Nowhere near the skills of Sheed, but younger, bigger and emotionally stable.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2009, 11:06 AM
with jeffersons contract is it even feasable to sign someone for the full MLE?

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/07NPgI93Uu0Fl/340x.jpg

It is now, Motherfuckers.

EricB
06-25-2009, 03:45 PM
:lmao

bigdog
06-25-2009, 03:58 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/07NPgI93Uu0Fl/340x.jpg

It is now, Motherfuckers.

:rollin:lol

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2009, 11:06 PM
Zaza is a tougher call. The rumor is that San Antonio is interested, and that’s a great organization. But the Hawks might even have a fallback there. If Zaza leaves, then the Australian power forward David Andersen, who played last season for Barcelona and whose NBA rights the Hawks hold, could well become a person of interest.

link (http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2009/06/29/the-hawks-free-agents-hope-for-three-settle-for-two/?cxntfid=blogs_mark_bradley_blog)

EricB
06-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Nice :smokin

Would be a nice fallback if Dyess and Sheed can't be inked.

kbrury
06-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Im ok if we get Zaza at least hes young. Still I hope Wallace is the Spur's priority right now.

peskypesky
06-30-2009, 11:18 PM
i like Zaza and have thought he'd be a good fit for the Spurs' needs..not sure if he's not just another Rasho though...

loveforthegame
06-30-2009, 11:20 PM
It would be just like the Spurs to make him their #1 priority while everyone else assumes it's Wallace or McDyess.

I'm still hoping it's Wallace but I'm ok with this if so.

Blackjack
06-30-2009, 11:30 PM
It would be just like the Spurs to make him their #1 priority while everyone else assumes it's Wallace or McDyess.

That thought has indeed crossed my mind when speculating about 'Sheed and 'Dyess...

I actually like Pachulia, but I don't find it all that appealing to invest the type of dollars needed to acquire him, when you've got a somewhat similar player (Splitter) who will demand an MLE-type contract next year to bring him over.

loveforthegame
06-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Maybe the Spurs don't want to chance Spillter doesn't come over?

I don't see Bonner back next year and it's likely they want to keep Blair's minutes down as well.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2009, 11:58 PM
Pachulia is sure to be a target for other teams, mainly because quality 7-footers at reasonable prices are hard to find. He just finished up a four-year, $16 million deal with the Hawks and stands to command more on his next deal.

“We’ll see how things go,” Pachulia said via e-mail Tuesday afternoon. “All you can do is watch how the negotiations go and move on from there.”

link (http://www.ajc.com/hawks/content/sports/hawks/stories/2009/06/30/atlanta_hawks_free_agents.html)

NewJerSpur
06-30-2009, 11:59 PM
Why so much interest in this guy? I'm asking honestly for those who are in favor of bringing him in.

kbrury
07-01-2009, 12:01 AM
hes a fallback plan at least I hope that is what the spurs consider him.

AFBlue
07-01-2009, 12:11 AM
Why so much interest in this guy? I'm asking honestly for those who are in favor of bringing him in.

He's a skilled, young F/C that probably will get undervalued in the current market.

Having said that, he's probably not a good fit. He won't intimidate anyone defensively and though he's not a terrible rebounder, it isn't a strength.

I saw him play live and on TV when I lived in ATL, so I've seen the talent...but again, not sure he's the best fit for the Spurs.

Blackjack
07-01-2009, 12:14 AM
Maybe the Spurs don't want to chance Spillter doesn't come over?

I don't see Bonner back next year and it's likely they want to keep Blair's minutes down as well.

Not likely.

The three interviews I've heard of R.C. have given me the impression that Splitter is very much in their picture and someone they're committed to getting over here. It actually sounded like they made a pretty decent attempt to find a way to get him over here a year early, but are definitely now looking at '10 being the year.(What was expected all along)

As for the second part you mentioned...

The Spurs, in all likelihood, will extend at least a MLE for 2 yrs. on a big, need to spend MLE-type money on Splitter to bring him over, and have Tim making his huge chunk, all next year.

I don't know that it's all that feasible to have 3 bigs (if you add a Pachulia) not named Tim making over 5M a year.

NewJerSpur
07-01-2009, 12:15 AM
He's a skilled, young F/C that probably will get undervalued in the current market.

Having said that, he's probably not a good fit. He won't intimidate anyone defensively and though he's not a terrible rebounder, it isn't a strength.

I saw him play live and on TV when I lived in ATL, so I've seen the talent...but again, not sure he's the best fit for the Spurs.

Skilled offensively? Post game? Jumper? I know he has athleticism from the games I've seen but I've just wondered why he was so high up on the wishlist for what the team needs at this point.

AFBlue
07-01-2009, 12:24 AM
Skilled offensively? Post game? Jumper? I know he has athleticism from the games I've seen but I've just wondered why he was so high up on the wishlist for what the team needs at this point.

Offensively, yes. Fundamentally solid, smart player...can score with his back to the basket or face up, but he does most of his damage in the paint. He flashed the mid-range game from time to time, but since he was utilized mostly as a Center, I couldn't tell you for sure how effective it would be.

I actually think him being classified as a Center probably hurts him too...because he's more of a finesse player. He only played Center because the Hawks were devoid of anything resembling a center for most of his tenure.

If he were to play for the Spurs I'd like to see him at PF and/or alongside a stronger, better rebounder.

NewJerSpur
07-01-2009, 12:29 AM
Offensively, yes. Fundamentally solid, smart player...can score with his back to the basket or face up, but he does most of his damage in the paint. He flashed the mid-range game from time to time, but since he was utilized mostly as a Center, I couldn't tell you for sure how effective it would be.

I actually think him being classified as a Center probably hurts him too...because he's more of a finesse player. He only played Center because the Hawks were devoid of anything resembling a center for most of his tenure.

If he were to play for the Spurs I'd like to see him at PF and/or alongside a stronger, better rebounder.

Thanks for the breakdown....I've never really followed his game that closely. I'd probably prefer to bring in David Lee via S&T if we were going to go the PF/converted C direction. Just me.

AFBlue
07-01-2009, 12:33 AM
Lee would be insane, but most of the discussion is that he'll get a deal above the MLE from the Thunder or Grizzlies.

A player that is in the same class as Pachulia, although with a completely different skill set would be Anderson Varajao. I figure they'll both get between $4-5M per year. And I think Varajao actually fits the Spurs better.

NewJerSpur
07-01-2009, 12:38 AM
Lee would be insane, but most of the discussion is that he'll get a deal above the MLE from the Thunder or Grizzlies.

A player that is in the same class as Pachulia, although with a completely different skill set would be Anderson Varajao. I figure they'll both get between $4-5M per year. And I think Varajao actually fits the Spurs better.

Yeah, people are ranking Anderson pretty high in general. I view him as being in that 2nd to 3rd tier with guys like Gooden who should get scooped up after the dust clears to strengthen a team's depth.

Blackjack
07-01-2009, 12:40 AM
David Lee isn't at all what the Spurs are looking for and I'm not sure the word "finesse" and "Pachulia" ever really belong in the same sentence.

timvp
07-01-2009, 12:43 AM
That thought has indeed crossed my mind when speculating about 'Sheed and 'Dyess...

I actually like Pachulia, but I don't find it all that appealing to invest the type of dollars needed to acquire him, when you've got a somewhat similar player (Splitter) who will demand an MLE-type contract next year to bring him over.

I think the Spurs have to operate this year as if Splitter isn't coming over next year. They can't make room for him by turning down players that could help and then find that Splitter stays next summer.

Besides, Splitter isn't bust-proof. Pachulia could be the much better player.

NewJerSpur
07-01-2009, 12:44 AM
David Lee isn't at all what the Spurs are looking for and I'm not sure the word "finesse" and "Pachulia" ever really belong in the same sentence.

Well, Lee would help continue the movement to get Tim consitent help on the glass and he's a great P&R asset. His offense is still improving but he's beginning to expand his game a bit in that regard. Pretty sure Pop could light a fire up under him to put the same energy he expends on hustle plays back into his defense at the rim.

peskypesky
07-01-2009, 12:57 AM

Yeah, we definitely do not need a guy who scored 16pts and grabbed 12 boards a game.

kbrury
07-01-2009, 12:58 AM
it doesn't really matter Spurs are not going to get Lee.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2009, 12:59 AM
How exactly would the Spurs expect to land Lee? It'd have to be some kind of 3 way deal with the Knicks getting decent value back and the Spurs offering a 3rd team a salary dump.

Big P
Well, Lee would help continue the movement to get Tim consitent help on the glass and he's a great P&R asset. His offense is still improving but he's beginning to expand his game a bit in that regard. Pretty sure Pop could light a fire up under him to put the same energy he expends on hustle plays back into his defense at the rim.

We dont have $10 mil a year for Lee. Not gonna happen.

peskypesky
it doesn't really matter Spurs are not going to get Lee.

they won't get him. true. but i can dream...

objective
07-01-2009, 01:02 AM
Pachulia is not much of a shotblocker. His playoff numbers in 12 games was 3 whole blocks, averaging less than 0.5 blocks per 40 minutes adjusted.

He can rebound, but he doesn't block shots and he can be a little turnover prone. I'm a little wary of a player when in the playoffs he had more turnovers than assists+blocks+steals.

Blackjack
07-01-2009, 01:08 AM
I think the Spurs have to operate this year as if Splitter isn't coming over next year. They can't make room for him by turning down players that could help and then find that Splitter stays next summer.

Besides, Splitter isn't bust-proof. Pachulia could be the much better player.

I agree, if you're asking what I'd do, but R.C. gave me the impression Splitter in indeed a part of their plans moving forward.

I guess it's not impossible for them to have both in the fold, it's just not something I find all that likely.

I've actually commented on here that Pachulia might actually be the better player. I think Splitter might be a little more physically and athletically gifted, but I've also noticed some bitchass-tendencies that I haven't seen in Pachulia.

I generally side with player who get the most out of themselves over guys whose potential leaves you wanting more, so Pachulia actually falls more to my line of thinking.

Lee's just too big of a liability defensively and his offensive repetoire leaves plenty to be desired.

Playing in a system like D'antoni's is something that benefits a player like Lee who excells in the open court and in the half-court without a dominant big. He's somewhat similar to Gortat offensively, but lacks the size and defensive ability to even really be much of an asset for the money.(Not a big fan of Gortat on the Spurs, either.)

If Lee's an energy guy coming off the bench who's getting paid as such, he's a nice player. But he's not someone that a team like the Spurs should invest MLE-type money in, imo.

Blackjack
07-01-2009, 01:15 AM
Yeah, we definitely do not need a guy who scored 16pts and grabbed 12 boards a game.

Not if he can't take any pressure off of Tim defensively and/or spread the floor.

I don't hate Lee as a player, actually kind of like him, I just don't like him as a fit (financially or basketball-wise) for the Spurs.

NewJerSpur
07-01-2009, 01:45 AM
Lee's just too big of a liability defensively and his offensive repetoire leaves plenty to be desired.

Playing in a system like D'antoni's is something that benefits a player like Lee who excells in the open court and in the half-court without a dominant big. He's somewhat similar to Gortat offensively, but lacks the size and defensive ability to even really be much of an asset for the money.(Not a big fan of Gortat on the Spurs, either.)

If Lee's an energy guy coming off the bench who's getting paid as such, he's a nice player. But he's not someone that a team like the Spurs should invest MLE-type money in, imo.

I think Lee could benefit from playing with a coach like Pop regarding his defense, especially if he takes that same effort he puts into rebounding and hustle plays. His athleticism makes up for his lack of size and he has more range on his jumper and is quicker than Gortat though neither is really dominant offensively. I'd still feel good about putting either next to Tim, but that's me.

Would have to look into how the trade could work numbers wise but it might take more than the team is willing to pay.

Blackjack
07-01-2009, 01:58 AM
I think Lee could benefit from playing with a coach like Pop regarding his defense, especially if he takes that same effort he puts into rebounding and hustle plays. His athleticism makes up for his lack of size and he has more range on his jumper and is quicker than Gortat though neither is really dominant offensively. I'd still feel good about putting either next to Tim, but that's me.

Would have to look into how the trade could work numbers wise but it might take more than the team is willing to pay.

He could no doubt benefit from time with Pop, but he's undersized and light in the ass, and if he remedies the latter, his game would probably suffer.

He did make some strides on his jumper, but it's a long way from consistent.

I would say he's got more of a face-up game than Gortat, but that's really not all that much of an endorsement.

For what the Spurs need now, he just doesn't fit the bill.

Tim was adamant to Pop and R.C. to get him some girth in the low-block, and I think it'd be wise to listen to the big fella'.

DeJuan is a step in the right direction, but they need a starter, ala Wallace, that can prevent Tim from having to carry the low-post load and defend the oppositions center night-in and night-out.

NewJerSpur
07-01-2009, 02:58 AM
He could no doubt benefit from time with Pop, but he's undersized and light in the ass, and if he remedies the latter, his game would probably suffer.

I would say he's got more of a face-up game than Gortat, but that's really not all that much of an endorsement.

Tim was adamant to Pop and R.C. to get him some girth in the low-block, and I think it'd be wise to listen to the big fella'.

DeJuan is a step in the right direction, but they need a starter, ala Wallace, that can prevent Tim from having to carry the low-post load and defend the oppositions center night-in and night-out.

I'll agree that dude is more of a face-up player at this point but his offensive game has room for growth (the double-doubles were very encouraging) and he's not a pushover in the post. Again, I feel the guy could come to the team and contribute right away if he were acquired.

Obstructed_View
07-01-2009, 03:12 AM

He's seven feet tall, he moves well, he's young, he's tough, and when he got starters minutes he averaged nearly a double double.

The Spurs have something other than money to offer him, as well: a starting job. That can appeal to a guy who lost his job to someone else.

I have to ask again: With Duncan, Parker, Ginobili and Jefferson in the starting lineup, why all the hand-wringing about the offensive skills of a potential center? I'd just as soon whoever comes in only touch the ball when he's grabbing a rebound and passing it to a teammate.

Spurs da champs
07-03-2009, 03:15 AM
He can still improve in shot blocking and he's a decent rebounder. Zaza should be signed he's tall,young, & durable. He add toughness something that the spurs need.

bishopospurs
07-03-2009, 03:30 AM
Zaza is nice. Lee is not a product of D'Antoni's system, he and nate were two of the only good players under Thomas. Though Lee won't become a spur, sorry, I like his game, but we can't swing it. I still think the spurs have a shot at splitter though. I understand his contract situation but Tau Ceramica was smart to get him in that 2 year deal when they did. Other than buy outs European teams have no way to get anything in return for talent, plus it gives Splitter insurance if he sucked last year. If spurs are serious they will at least get a number on the buy out.

urunobili
07-03-2009, 07:44 AM
I'd be Happy with Zaza... but Dice > Zaza

45 bank shot
07-03-2009, 07:59 AM
he can still improve in shot blocking and he's a decent rebounder. Zaza should be signed he's tall,young, & durable. He add toughness something that the spurs need.
+1

200 miles
07-03-2009, 09:05 AM
I'd be Happy with Zaza... but Dice > Zaza

Why does McDyess keep getting mentioned? Face it, Timmy will not move to center and have Mcdyess at the 4. The team already has the rights to Blair and Gist in which they can do Dice's job possibly better. We need a center. A center who is at least 6'11 or taller. Either get Sheed or Zaza already. Enough of this Dice shit.

urunobili
07-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Why does McDyess keep getting mentioned? Face it, Timmy will not move to center and have Mcdyess at the 4. The team already has the rights to Blair and Gist in which they can do Dice's job possibly better. We need a center. A center who is at least 6'11 or taller. Either get Sheed or Zaza already. Enough of this Dice shit.

Thing is that Ian, Blair and Gist are Rookies... and even if they turn out to be great... Pop needs a veteran Mentoring them and that could actually step up and be the man if needed or if they turn out busts...

do you see Bonner mentoring them? TD doesn't like the educator role from there that he doesnt do basketball camps etc...

A proven veteran or two would get that done and i think Dice is the perfect fit because of all the aforementioned...

200 miles
07-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Thing is that Ian, Blair and Gist are Rookies... and even if they turn out to be great... Pop needs a veteran Mentoring them and that could actually step up and be the man if needed or if they turn out busts...

do you see Bonner mentoring them? TD doesn't like the educator role from there that he doesnt do basketball camps etc...

A proven veteran or two would get that done and i think Dice is the perfect fit because of all the aforementioned...

So you dont think Zaza, well maybe not Zaza, but Sheed can be that mentor?

Taking it to the Hole
07-03-2009, 12:09 PM

Hey, Sheed isn't a bad teammate and isn't as combustible as he used to be when he first entered the league. Sure, he may go off every now and then, but I don't think he would have much reason to be pissed about anything if he were a Spur, because we would be too busy winning. I think that extra peace of mind would allow anyone to serve as a mentor.:lol

BackHome
07-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Well we all know that Sheed is our first prospect but if we don't get him we also know that we need a freakin center. So as long as the guy is healthy and likes to compete and plays hard that is all I am asking.

Either way next year the following players will be gone...Finley, Bonner, and any of our second rounders we sign that didn't play well or fit into our system...So that should give us enough money to get Splitter.

urunobili
07-03-2009, 02:03 PM

If sheed is brought in... that'd probably be part of his job description yes...

BackHome
07-03-2009, 02:33 PM

So when did Wallace get this Girth.....or are you saying that being in San Antono and eating some mexican food he will be adding some girth?

bless1187
07-03-2009, 02:40 PM
i'm not a big fan of Z. Pachulia, from my personal perspective i would rather keep D. Gooden than go for Z. Pachulia.

Z. Pachulia is a big guy with some skills, but the fact is that he also doesn't have a good basketball IQ to speak of, he occasionally would take bad shots, and on defense he seems to be out of position at time and is very foul prone. The flaws in his game is very similar to D. Goodens, but the fact is that D. Gooden is still the more talented player.

bless1187
07-03-2009, 02:46 PM
with the big man left in FA, i would go:

1.) R. Wallace
2.) A. McDyess
3.) A. Varejao (but i don't think we could afford him)
4.) D. Gooden
5.) M. Williams or H. Warrick

Darkwaters
07-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Pachulia is not much of a shotblocker. His playoff numbers in 12 games was 3 whole blocks, averaging less than 0.5 blocks per 40 minutes adjusted.

He can rebound, but he doesn't block shots and he can be a little turnover prone. I'm a little wary of a player when in the playoffs he had more turnovers than assists+blocks+steals.

Splitter isn't much of a shotblocker either. But hes a great defender.

bishopospurs
07-03-2009, 03:37 PM
we do need a 6'11 - 7 foot guy, but there is no one I am that crazy about. I want Splitter, but he is unproven obviously. After Sheed that leaves, Vaj, Zaza, Hollins, Aaron Gray, Rasho, Mihm, Robert Swift, Frye, Lafraentz, Voskuhl, Calvin "the ugly" Booth, Magloire, Johan "the forehead" Petro, Lorenzen Wright, Moore, and the Collins twins in that size department via FA. Does anyone here look like a real home run? This is it.

tp2021
07-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Is he restricted?

Kindergarten Cop
07-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Pachulia is an UFA.

Mr. Body
07-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Glen Davis is better than Zaza Pachulia.

CuervoHorn
07-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Chatter from Hawks beat writer:

ZAZA PACHULIA: Much has been made in the past 72 hours about Zaza’s impending departure and his being replaced by Andersen, or a combination of players that includes the Australian big man. Slow down with that one. Sources tell me that while initially things didn’t look too good with the offer that was presented to him by the Hawks, the sides are working their way toward more agreeable terms (we’re talking slightly north of the $16 million over four years he signed for the last time he was a free agent but decidedly south of the $33 million over five years Marcin Gortat is expected to receive from Dallas). And in an Eastern Conference littered with bigs like Dwight Howard in Orlando, Shaquille O’Neal in Cleveland and now Wallace, Kevin Garnett and Kendrick Perkins in Boston (and that’s just on the teams that finished ahead of the Hawks in the standings last season), that’s a good thing. Because the Hawks can ill-afford to lose a player like Zaza. He’s the only real bruiser on the roster. He’ll set a hard pick and has shown he’s not afraid to mix it up with the likes of Garnett and Howard. And while I’m not heavy into the stats that seem to guide so many people’s opinions about players, I do believe that some numbers tell a far different story than what the heart and mind can. There were six regular season games and three playoff games during the 2008-2009 season where Zaza played 30-plus minutes. He averaged 9.8 points, 10.1 rebounds (and 4.1 offensive rebounds) in those games. That means when he was needed to play above and beyond his pay grade, Pachulia delivered.

My quess is that M Williams(RFA) with a q offer of $7.5/mil by hawks will tie them up if another team/s extend offer to Williams.

Giving a team(Spurs) window to cash in with Zaza?

:wakeup

poeticism707
07-07-2009, 04:56 PM

I like them both, but I like Davis better for the Spurs.

Gino2882
07-07-2009, 07:21 PM
I like them both, but I like Davis better for the Spurs.

Why? At the very least ZaZa has legitimate size for a center and would give Duncan some help on the fronts.

mojorizen7
07-07-2009, 07:25 PM
I've been sayin since you guys moved Oberto,KT that Zasa would be a perfect addition up front with TD.

Bruno
07-08-2009, 10:36 AM
http://twitter.com/sekousmith01/status/2532894985

Sources: Pachulia on the verge of a deal with Hawks.

Sekou Smith is Hawks' beat writer.

MaNu4Tres
07-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Good for the Hawks. Zaza wouldn't have really improved us anyway. He's a tougher Oberto, but without the efficient shot selection. Zaza forces the issue a lot more.

coyotes_geek
07-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Better hope McDyess comes through. Because with Sheed, Gortat and Pachulia off the market it becomes a pretty damn big drop off from Dyess to whoever's left.

DPG21920
07-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Better hope McDyess comes through. Because with Sheed, Gortat and Pachulia off the market it becomes a pretty damn big drop off from Dyess to whoever's left.

I agree, that is why I said I would rather them save the money and pursue a trade. Either that or split the MLE for a back up wing (Moon/Delfino) and a bottom big (Rasho/Sheldon)

BlackBellamy
07-08-2009, 10:50 AM

No, not really...
Zaza Pachulia:
PPG 6.2
RPG 5.7
APG 0.7
SPG 0.4
BPG 0.3
FG% 0.497
FT% 0.709
3P% 0.000
MPG 19.1

Glen Davis:
PPG 7.0
RPG 4.0
APG 0.9
SPG 0.7
BPG 0.2
FG% 0.442
FT% 0.730
3P% 0.400
MPG 21.5

Not to mention that Zaza is a legitimate 6-11 and Big Baby is redundant with Blair being signed.